Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mark Pack on the major event that could yet derail this electi

Comments

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited May 2017
    Jesus it gets even worse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39775693

FFS - If I did this at work, I would say "sorry guys I screwed up." Just be f*cking honest!!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Lab gain Finchley & Golders Green at 8/1?

@jessicaelgot: One to watch - Labour pick JLM's @Jeremy_Newmark, former spox for chief rabbi, as candidate in Finchley & Golders Green

I've backed Labour @ 2-1 Hammersmith and 3-1 Westminster North, but I'd need a lobotomy before plunging into Golders Green even at 8-1.
    Le Pen more likely to win on Saturday than that happening.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916

Abbott has stolen a living from licence payers for years, she is reason enough to scrap the BBC

On the other hand, I've recently been binge-listening to In Our Time. Enough reason in itself to keep the blessed BBC!

I'm as critical of the BBC as the next person. But on the whole it has to be the best value entertainment there is. I cannot think of anything else where I get so many hours of joy for £145.50 a year. ;)
  • Options
    AllyPally_RobAllyPally_Rob Posts: 605
    kle4 said:

While not being a fan of huge majorities, in addition to thinking perhaps one is necessary for Labour to learn its lesson, I almost wish Labour do worse for no reason other than from what I hear of Foot, even with the manifesto he had, he doesn't deserve to be the low bar for modern leaders leading their parties to massive defeats.

Major, Hague and Howard all did worse than Foot did in 1983 didn't they? At least in terms of seats won.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@YouGov: Would Brits want to remain or leave a seriously reformed EU? 29% would want to remain, 30% would want to leave

https://twitter.com/yougov/status/859444143550025728

Reformed how?
    Do you think Macron will push for EU reforms?
    What does the word even mean in this context?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@YouGov: Would Brits want to remain or leave a seriously reformed EU? 29% would want to remain, 30% would want to leave

Reformed how?
    Lots of leaders set out with the intention, I wish him well.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Scott_P said:

@BBCJLandale: Want to know what Ireland thinks about Brexit? Here's its negotiating position in just 68 pages: http://www.merrionstreet.ie/MerrionStreet/en/EU-UK/Key_Irish_Documents/Government_Position_Paper_on_Brexit.pdf

It looks very much like they want most things to stay exactly the same as they already are.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    No shit...

@bbclaurak: 'Bloody difficult woman' boast won't hurt with some voters-but if May wins, in long term it's precisely that approach that winds up Brussels
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

murali_s said:

Tories 400+ seats is good value folks. Fill your boots.

Possible fly in the ointment is the Tory election expenses. Even then it comes down to sleazy cheating Tories versus the hopeless dimwits that is the Labour party. Very disappointed that the LDs are not making any headway.

Perhaps re-branding as Battyboy Haram was not the masterstroke it first looked?

And you call other party leaders "silly".
    They are brother...
  • Options

Abbott has stolen a living from licence payers for years, she is reason enough to scrap the BBC

On the other hand, I've recently been binge-listening to In Our Time. Enough reason in itself to keep the blessed BBC!

I'm as critical of the BBC as the next person. But on the whole it has to be the best value entertainment there is. I cannot think of anything else where I get so many hours of joy for £145.50 a year. ;)
    No. you really aren't.

https://biasedbbc.org/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Danny565 said:

rcs1000 said:

Danny565 said:

My current prediction for the LibDems:

HOLDS
    Ceredigion
    Sheffield Hallam
    Orkney & Shetland
    Westmorland & Lonsdale

LOSSES
    Southport (to Cons)
    Carshalton (to Cons)
    North Norfolk (to Cons)
    Richmond Park (to Cons)
    Leeds North West (to Lab - bit of a wildcard admittedly)

GAINS
    Twickenham (from Cons)
    Kingston & Surbiton (from Cons)
    Oxford West & Abingdon (from Cons)
    East Dunbartonshire (from SNP)
    Edinburgh West (from SNP)

Leaving them unchanged on 9 seats overall.

I can't see Leeds NW going Lab. It's a Remain facing constituency, and Greg had a pretty good lead over Labour.

I can't see Kingston & Surbiton going Yellow either.

And if you're going to use local defences to say that the LDs won't gain Cambridge, then you need to point to the LDs in Southport last year where they were up 7% on their 2012 vote share while the Conservatives fell back.
    The difference is that, while it's fairly common for the Lib Dems to underperform local election results in GEs, it's far less common for them to overperform - especially by a margin of 20%.

I've also got a feeling May is a better fit for Merseyside than Cameron & Osborne were -- she's less obviously Southern(!!) or supercilious, and her classy handling of the Hillsborough inquiries earned her some goodwill round these parts even among people who usually hate the Tories.
    I think that Merseyside will be below average swing to the Tories. Even Ed Miliband made gains there.

The LDs should get a good bit of useful publicity out of the Local elections next weekend. That and the collapse of UKIP are pretty certain to dominate next weeks news. Both are good reasons to celebrate of course!
  • Options

kle4 said:

While not being a fan of huge majorities, in addition to thinking perhaps one is necessary for Labour to learn its lesson, I almost wish Labour do worse for no reason other than from what I hear of Foot, even with the manifesto he had, he doesn't deserve to be the low bar for modern leaders leading their parties to massive defeats.

Major, Hague and Howard all did worse than Foot did in 1983 didn't they? At least in terms of seats won.
    I was thinking of Labour, but you're right I believe.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Reformed how?
    What kind of reforms could he realistically get which would satisfy Eurosceptics?

The EU has consistently shown that it has a course and only reforms which aid it in heading on that course are acceptable for it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    Pulpstar said:

@jessicaelgot: One to watch - Labour pick JLM's @Jeremy_Newmark, former spox for chief rabbi, as candidate in Finchley & Golders Green

I've backed Labour @ 2-1 Hammersmith and 3-1 Westminster North, but I'd need a lobotomy before plunging into Golders Green even at 8-1.
    Would be the shock of the night if it did happen.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107

In that case make it optional and we'll see how many agree with you
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

No shit...

@bbclaurak: 'Bloody difficult woman' boast won't hurt with some voters-but if May wins, in long term it's precisely that approach that winds up Brussels

Everything winds them up. They hate that national politicians have to play to national audiences sometimes, and they treat with contempt anyone who does it. And who cares? The EU have set out their stall of 'You get nothing and you pay handsomely for that' and are promising not to bend - unless they are now saying they were going to bend, how can they get harsher?
  • Options
    Diane Abbott can't count, part deux...

She claimed she forgot the numbers because it was her sixth interview of the day...

@theousherwood: Diane Abbott's interview on LBC was the third of five, after Today and Sky. GMB and BBC Breakfast followed. Plus 2 clips for ITV and C5.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    GeoffM said:

No. you really aren't.

You are a pea-brained right-wing moron and I claim my £5.

What is about about the right-wing trash on here and the BBC?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Yet they can't be arsed with a local elections show this year. Harumph.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Pulpstar said:

I'm giving up political betting if it does.

I'd be happy enough to have £160 on the Tories at 1-8 if you're offering though...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Scott_P said:

She claimed she forgot the numbers because it was her sixth interview of the day...

@theousherwood: Diane Abbott's interview on LBC was the third of five, after Today and Sky. GMB and BBC Breakfast followed. Plus 2 clips for ITV and C5.

Surely that excuse makes it worse, she had time to wake up and plenty of practice at getting her patter down.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    Anyone in favour of getting some of the 28% onto Betfair?

There's 1.11 available to lay on the majority, and 1.06 to lay on Con Most Seats, we need more people to bet against the Tories!
    Here's my favourite bet in the related markets to that thus far (PM after election)

Lay (Bet Against)
    Jeremy Corbyn 9.20 £100.00 £920.00
    That's a good one. I think we should try and get a story going about everyone backing the Tories so Jeremy looks bad, try and get the trots to start putting some cash behind their man.
  • Options

I've been saying on here for yonks that the system has to change. It's odd that so many lefties have got furious with the latest licence fee settlement, as the changes to the law wrt Internet viewing has potentially saved the BBC.

At least for a few years. The trend is not their friend though, and the BBC would best be looking at other funding mechanisms.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Patrick said:

Any PB views on Lewes in Sussex. Was Tory forever. Then went LibDem. Then Tory again. Now a Tory / LD marginal?

It's next door to my constituency, and I know a bit about it. (My wife and I helped the campaign last time, although we mainly helped in Eastbourne).

I think it's probably a Tory hold. A lot of the LibDem vote was very much a personal Norman Baker vote, and he's not standing this time. Also there were a fair number of 2015 Kippers in the constituency. But obviously the LibDems will be trying hard, and they do have a reasonable size core university-style vote.

I should have a better feel in a few days.
    I'm thinking Lewes will be closer than Eastbourne. Lewes Tory maj of about 2,500 and Eastbourne about 4,000. Does that look plausible?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

No. you really aren't.

Isn't that an organisation, rather than a person? And if it is only a person, then I will alter my sentence to say sane person. ;)
  • Options
    The Irish Paper (1)

However, in line with the phased approach agreed by the European Council on 29 April, discussion on the future relationship may, on an informal basis and in part, run alongside the formal exit negotiations. Therefore, in parallel, we will continue to prepare for those discussions and negotiations.

It is vitally important that the withdrawal of the UK from the EU is done in an orderly manner. In order to provide legal certainty and to avoid any ‘cliff edge effect’, including with regard to trade, customs and key sectors, transitional arrangements should be agreed as part of the withdrawal agreement.

• Options
    murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

No. you really aren't.

Not sure if I qualify as right wing trash but I don't see why I should be coerced into something I neither want or need
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    JonathanD said:

kle4 said:

Theresa May says she will be a "bloody difficult woman" towards European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker during Brexit talks.

That's Ken Clarke's line about her.
    And yet it is one which I imagine she does not mind at all - being bloody difficult can be made to be a virtue in the right circumstances, and it fits her persona and image.
    Agreed.

In the original quip from Clarke he went on to say that May doesn't know much about foreign affairs...
    I must confess i don't understand how being a 'bloody difficult woman' is meant to help us build a 'new positive constructive partnership' with the EU as May has also said in the past.

If all we had to do was achieve was a divorce being difficult would be fine but since we also have to sign a new relationship with the EU being difficult for the sake of it seems stupid.
    But probably ok in the eyes of the public who think negotiations with the EU are 4 am haggles in Brussels between the German chancellor and a n other European leader. In reality it takes armies of bureaucrats with spreadsheets and heavily annotated texts.
  • Options

I've been saying on here for yonks that the system has to change. It's odd that so many lefties have got furious with the latest licence fee settlement, as the changes to the law wrt Internet viewing has potentially saved the BBC.

At least for a few years. The trend is not their friend though, and the BBC would best be looking at other funding mechanisms.
    Like letting foreigners pay to watch iPlayer, perhaps? I know they can't because of rights issues, but surely that doesn't apply to the real ratings winners like This Week? :smiley:
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

OllyT said:

murali_s said:

Just heard the Dianne Abbott car crash interview.

Embarrasing, just embarassing. The party that has given us some of the greatest political figures of the 20th century now give us Corbyn, Abbott and McDonnell. While most of the country are shedding tears through laughter, I just cry.

The Labour party which I love so much is being reduced to a joke. Sad, sad times...

I can't wait for 9th June when we can get rid of these idiots and ideally kick them out of the party. Let them go and form a Momentum party if they like. These morons make the Militant tendency look like intellectual heavyweights.

First time I won't be voting Labour in years because I know that if I do it will be interpreted as a vote for Corbyn. Faced with a potential government led by Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbot voters are going to run a mile and the best that NickP can come up with is that it might not be as bad as 1983. Jesus wept, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    A Labour vote is a vote for the party to retain Corbyn. Simples.
    Which is why I won't do it and we are in Labour's most marginal seat.
  • Options
    Interesting party stood in Finchers in 2005. Rainbow Dream Ticket, who

advocated the abolition of Parliament in favour of devolution to city-states and decision-making by referendum

Something for everyone there.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    Anyone in favour of getting some of the 28% onto Betfair?

There's 1.11 available to lay on the majority, and 1.06 to lay on Con Most Seats, we need more people to bet against the Tories!
    Here's my favourite bet in the related markets to that thus far (PM after election)

Lay (Bet Against)
    Jeremy Corbyn 9.20 £100.00 £920.00
    That's a good one. I think we should try and get a story going about everyone backing the Tories so Jeremy looks bad, try and get the trots to start putting some cash behind their man.
    Yeah - sadly that price has gone for a bit of a walk now.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. D, there was another local election night a few years ago that had no coverage programme on the BBC.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    FF43 said:

JonathanD said:

kle4 said:

Theresa May says she will be a "bloody difficult woman" towards European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker during Brexit talks.

That's Ken Clarke's line about her.
    And yet it is one which I imagine she does not mind at all - being bloody difficult can be made to be a virtue in the right circumstances, and it fits her persona and image.
    Agreed.

In the original quip from Clarke he went on to say that May doesn't know much about foreign affairs...
    I must confess i don't understand how being a 'bloody difficult woman' is meant to help us build a 'new positive constructive partnership' with the EU as May has also said in the past.

If all we had to do was achieve was a divorce being difficult would be fine but since we also have to sign a new relationship with the EU being difficult for the sake of it seems stupid.
    But probably ok in the eyes of the public who think negotiations with the EU are 4 am haggles in Brussels between the German chancellor and a n other European leader. In reality it takes armies of bureaucrats with spreadsheets and heavily annotated texts.

Yep - it's designed for a Maggie May kind of headline in the Mail and Express.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Britons back visas for EU doctors, nurses, IT experts, academics and care home workers but not baristas, bankers or waiters and bartenders
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/britons-back-work-visas-for-doctors-after-brexit-but-not-for-baristas-a3528281.html?amp
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm giving up political betting if it does.

I'd be happy enough to have £160 on the Tories at 1-8 if you're offering though...
    Yahweh no, I'm not touching that bet with a barge poll.

I cannot see one of the most Jewish seats in the country voting for Corbyn's Labour.

Not even if the Chief Rabbi was standing for Labour.
  • Options

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

No. you really aren't.

Not sure if I qualify as right wing trash but I don't see why I should be coerced into something I neither want or need
    Do you use any BBC services?
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: May's critics argue it's her 'bloody difficult' stance that is going to cause havoc, and leave the UK without a decent deal
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    Juncker getting both barrels from Theresa on BBC news
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Surely that excuse makes it worse, she had time to wake up and plenty of practice at getting her patter down.
    Exactly, and she wasn't rushed into saying anything, Ferrari gave her plenty of time to think about it, confirm she meant what she did, and so on.

She's a liar. She forgot her script, and she took a guess, and lied. I don't speak so strongly usually, but she is not convincing.
  • Options

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

No. you really aren't.

Becasue for the main, it's high quality content (c.f. the competition) - especially when it comes to news, documentaries and drama. Yes, they occassionally show rubbish such as The Voice but crap happens even on the BBC.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yet they can't be arsed with a local elections show this year. Harumph.
    National tragedy, Rob, I agree.
  • Options

Perhaps Red Ken could do the canvassing to be sure...
  • Options

Mr. D, there was another local election night a few years ago that had no coverage programme on the BBC.

The local election coverage will be on friday as most of the counting will be happening then
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Danny565 said:

I've also got a feeling May is a better fit for Merseyside than Cameron & Osborne were -- she's less obviously Southern(!!) or supercilious, and her classy handling of the Hillsborough inquiries earned her some goodwill round these parts even among people who usually hate the Tories.

I agree regarding Merseyside, but some of the majorities the Conservatives have to overcome are astronomical. Yes, Wirral West is lost but the rest of the seats will (probably) stay Red (Southport excepted which will probably stay LD or else go CON, and I have some doubts over Wirral South).

Too many voters round here are Donkey with Red Rosette voters and 'Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!', 'We hate the tories! They eat babies.'

In my seat of Bootle, Labour's majority of 28,000 is bigger than some seats winning vote share. And Bootle *isn't* even the safest seat anymore. Knowsley has a safer majority and vote share, and Liverpool West Derby has a higher vote share.

If ANY seat in Merseyside except Wirral West goes Blue from Red then we really are looking at the destruction of Labour. And if it's more than just Wirral West and Wirral South, for instance if Wallasey or Sefton Central are in play, then it's really game over for the Labour party.
    Wallasey was a Tory seat until 1992 - represented by Lynda Chalker and Ernest Marples.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    HYUFD said:

Britons back visas for EU doctors, nurses, IT experts, academics and care home workers but not baristas, bankers or waiters and bartenders
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/britons-back-work-visas-for-doctors-after-brexit-but-not-for-baristas-a3528281.html?amp

It's nice to see bankers in the second category. That's quite funny actually.
  • Options

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

No. you really aren't.

Do you use any BBC services?
    That's irrelevant, if given the choice I'd save the money and forego it
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

The local election coverage will be on friday as most of the counting will be happening then
    Bah! What about the excitement of election night? :(
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Well, never let it be said that Smithson doesn't have an agenda.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

No. you really aren't.

Becasue for the main, it's high quality content (c.f. the competition) - especially when it comes to news, documentaries and drama. Yes, they occassionally show rubbish such as The Voice but crap happens even on the BBC.
    Well if its so good making it optional won't be a problem
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

GeoffM said:

No. you really aren't.

I'm willing to criticise the BBC for plenty, and I don't watch much of it myself anymore, but the way anything, anything at all, is seized on as reason for the licence fee to be scrapped, is a better argument through overreaction for its retention than most of defenders manage.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kle4 said:

Wow. Finally managed to listen to all of the initial Abbott interview. Wow. Her claim she just misspoke is clearly an absolute stinking lie, given her multiple attempts, pauses to think before answering, confirming figures after a minute's opportunity to realise the error. And she's always so offended and condescending whenever someone points out she's made such mistakes.

And Labour MPs want her to be Home Secretary.

Not many of them want that I suspect!
  • Options

GeoffM said:

No. you really aren't.

Isn't that an organisation, rather than a person? And if it is only a person, then I will alter my sentence to say sane person. ;)
    Yes, you're right - it's not all my own work.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Exactly, and she wasn't rushed into saying anything, Ferrari gave her plenty of time to think about it, confirm she meant what she did, and so on.

She's a liar. She forgot her script, and she took a guess, and lied. I don't speak so strongly usually, but she is not convincing.
    It was only the other day I said the interruptathon technique is far less effective than a switched on well prepped interviewer that lets their subject dig their own hole. Ferraris questions were perfectly timed and pitched.
  • Options
    RobD said:

spudgfsh said:

Bah! What about the excitement of election night? :(
    Not much excitement if few results coming in, alas.
  • Options
    The Irish Paper (2)

There is a shared desire to have an ambitious and comprehensive Free Trade Agreement between the EU and the UK, if possible.

(Ireland is) making a strong case at EU level that the UK’s withdrawal represents a serious disturbance to the Irish economy overall and that we will require support;
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And dyslexic QCs.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Wow. Finally managed to listen to all of the initial Abbott interview. Wow. Her claim she just misspoke is clearly an absolute stinking lie, given her multiple attempts, pauses to think before answering, confirming figures after a minute's opportunity to realise the error. And she's always so offended and condescending whenever someone points out she's made such mistakes.

Not many of them want that I suspect!
    You're probably right, but sadly either they are silent and implicitly backing her as such, or they are saying 'Corbyn and co are crap but vote for me' which has other problems, since if Corbyn were somehow to win, she would be in place.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Probably more important than visas for doctors and nurses are the automatic recognition of professional qualifications. All they need is an english language certification. Whether we continue to automatically do so for EU/EEA nationals is one of many uncertainties.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

HYUFD said:

You're right it is. "Bankers or waiters" is masterful sentence construction too.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: May's critics argue it's her 'bloody difficult' stance that is going to cause havoc, and leave the UK without a decent deal

The trouble is we aren't primarily negotiating a trade deal. It's an international divorce settlement. It's never been likely we were going to come up with some comprehensive agreement inside two years.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    BBC just put to sword the idea Theresa May is hiding with a full coverage of her canvassing today with meeting voters and a genuine discussion with a member of the public who did not agree with her
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    MikeL said:

Why is Abbott all over news but McDonnell campaigning under picture of Stalin is ignored?

Surely the latter is just as newsworthy.

Let's take things one day at a time, today was Diane's special day.

We'll save McDonnell and Stalin for the day he's scheduled for a chat with Andrew Neil.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

OGH just loses a bit of the G at election time, that's all - tweets are an indicator.
  • Options
    Anyone betting on UKIP remaining in third place in the popular vote?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Bristol Post on odds on the Bristol seats from Paddy Power.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/here-general-election-voting-odds-41024

Caveat emptor.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Unlikely because Labour had a well-liked member of the Jewish community as candidate in 2015 and probably did better than expected.
  • Options

kle4 said:

you'd think it might be worth a thread perhaps?
    I did think about writing one, but it feels cruel, a bit like laughing at a Bobby Soldado miss or Jade Dernbach bowling.
    Surely all 3 examples should be on it - job done....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    "Vote for my candidate" - Is the Conservative party now just the Theresa May List?
  • Options

"Vote for my candidate" - Is the Conservative party now just the Theresa May List?
    Well she is the leader of the Tory party.
  • Options

If they think that will work, yes.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

It was only the other day I said the interruptathon technique is far less effective than a switched on well prepped interviewer that lets their subject dig their own hole. Ferraris questions were perfectly timed and pitched.
    In person, creative use of silence works quite well to get people to speak revealingly and openly. It is a bit trickier on TV though.
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

you'd think it might be worth a thread perhaps?
    Surely it is being written as we type?

And the Headline should be "Abbott & Cost-Ello Ello Ello"
    LIKE!
  • Options
    Forgive me if people have seen this already. (and it is on topic of the thread)

The SNP are questioning loans which were apparently funnelled in secret to the Tories...

https://twitter.com/LabourEoin/status/859434712598798336?s=09
  • Options
    Arthur_PennyArthur_Penny Posts: 198
    GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

And dyslexic QCs.
    Why would we want baristas? They wouldn't know nothing about UK Law.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. JS, personally, I'd be very surprised. UKIP's a busted flush, it seems.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

The SNP are questioning loans which were apparently funnelled in secret to the Tories...

Except that the donations were all declared.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Point of order - anything from that muppet is posted merely for piss-take, NEVER with any weight and entirely in his role as court jester.

Instant penalty of a week at Conhome as penance.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    That would be because the EU wants to retain jurisdiction over EU citizens living in a non-EU country. It is not calling someone's bluff if your offer is unreasonable.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    RobD said:

She should have added, "...and not for Jeremy Corbyn's candidate."
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    justin124 said:

Danny565 said:

I agree regarding Merseyside, but some of the majorities the Conservatives have to overcome are astronomical. Yes, Wirral West is lost but the rest of the seats will (probably) stay Red (Southport excepted which will probably stay LD or else go CON, and I have some doubts over Wirral South).

Too many voters round here are Donkey with Red Rosette voters and 'Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!', 'We hate the tories! They eat babies.'

In my seat of Bootle, Labour's majority of 28,000 is bigger than some seats winning vote share. And Bootle *isn't* even the safest seat anymore. Knowsley has a safer majority and vote share, and Liverpool West Derby has a higher vote share.

If ANY seat in Merseyside except Wirral West goes Blue from Red then we really are looking at the destruction of Labour. And if it's more than just Wirral West and Wirral South, for instance if Wallasey or Sefton Central are in play, then it's really game over for the Labour party.
    Wallasey was a Tory seat until 1992 - represented by Lynda Chalker and Ernest Marples.
    And Sefton Central ie the old Crosby constituency had a near 15,000 majority in 1992.

As someone here said previously - when religious places become less religious they move leftwards politcally.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Probably more important than visas for doctors and nurses are the automatic recognition of professional qualifications. All they need is an english language certification. Whether we continue to automatically do so for EU/EEA nationals is one of many uncertainties.
    Qualifications held but shortages of roles applying for will be key
  • Options
    I don't think that you understand what bluff calling actually is.
  • Options
    RobD said:

spudgfsh said:

I grant you that it does seem like pot stirring to me...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    The Irish Paper (3)

As a member of the EU, the UK made commitments together with the other 27 EU Member States when agreeing the EU’s Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF) in 2013, which runs from 2014 until 2020.

The UK is currently a significant net contributor to the EU budget. According to the 2015 Financial Accounts, total EU expenditure in 2015 amounted to approximately €145 billion and the UK’s gross contribution (post-rebate) was approximately €21 billion (looks like £350m a week!!) with its net contribution being approximately €14 billion.

• Options
    edited May 2017

After a general election Thatcher famously asked one Tory MP his result, he said something like 28, 564 votes, she replied 'so 28 000 votes for me and 564 for you'
  • Options

RobD said:

She should have added, "...and not for Jeremy Corbyn's candidate."
    Not sure that was necessary.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Thatcher famously asked on MP his result, he said something like 28, 564 votes, she replied 'so 28 000 votes for me and 564 for you'
    Wow, what an arrogant line that was. Funny though, if true.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    May used her Saturday to speak to voters in Banchory, in West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine, where the SNP have a majority of over 7,000. The Tories came second here in 2015 and May’s visit shows they have ambitions to move up a place come June. Meanwhile, Jeremy Corbyn busied himself speaking to the Labour party faithful in East London (an area where Labour already boasts majorities that run into the tens of thousands).

In fact, the majority of constituencies May has visited of late boast sizeable majorities the Tories are hoping to overturn. Last week May went on a Labour offensive as she visited Chesterfield — a constituency that last voted Conservative in 1931. Here the Tories would need to overturn a Labour majority of over 13,000. What’s more, the seat is not even within the top 150 Conservative target seats — which gives you some idea of the scale of victory the party is hoping for. May has also visited Ormskirk, in West Lancashire (an area where Labour had an 8,000 majority in 2015) as well as Leeds North East – a seat held by Labour since 1997 (where its current MP Fabian Hamilton, boasts a Labour majority of over 7,000). Other targets in her sights include Wales — a one-time Labour heartland. As part of her visit, May spoke in Bridgend, an area where Labour had a majority of nearly 2,000 in 2015.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/want-to-know-what-the-tories-are-thinking-look-at-the-seats-theresa-may-is-visiting/
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    "Which is why there’s a serious chance that the largest British political scandal ever will land all over the media just before polling day."

At which point the contempt of court laws kick in and the media will be able to say precisely nothing about the matter.
  • Options
    @faisalislam: Socialist Worker have turned up with megaphones outside PM's Conservative rally in a Bristol Labour seat https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/859455886900776961/photo/1

@rowenamason: Protestors at Theresa May event have prepared - now chanting Tory, Tory, Tory scum https://twitter.com/rowenamason/status/859457477326376964/photo/1
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    kle4 said:

Typo said:

I think 'rigging an election' is a slightly hyperbolic turn of phrase. Nobody is accused of stuffing ballots.

No kidding. I think it likely there's been widespread flouting of the ruled in many quarters which needs punishing, but some of the language has been absurdist.

By the by is it 30 people or 30 mPS, since I've seen the latter advanced many times.

And haven't the other parties largely been quiet since they have their own skeletons? I can well believe the tories were worst offenders, but in a mudfight you all end up dirty.
    But the Tories are the only ones who have anything to lose.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

The Irish Paper (3)

As a member of the EU, the UK made commitments together with the other 27 EU Member States when agreeing the EU’s Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF) in 2013, which runs from 2014 until 2020.

The UK is currently a significant net contributor to the EU budget. According to the 2015 Financial Accounts, total EU expenditure in 2015 amounted to approximately €145 billion and the UK’s gross contribution (post-rebate) was approximately €21 billion (looks like £350m a week!!) with its net contribution being approximately €14 billion.

I could quite easily see TM agreeing fairly early on to support the budget as it was agreed (until 2020) but playing hardball with any post 2020 contributions.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

RobD said:

spudgfsh said:

I grant you that it does seem like pot stirring to me...
    Quite. What about people with mortgages making political donations? It's the same.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: Socialist Worker have turned up with megaphones outside PM's Conservative rally in a Bristol Labour seat https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/859455886900776961/photo/1

@rowenamason: Protestors at Theresa May event have prepared - now chanting Tory, Tory, Tory scum https://twitter.com/rowenamason/status/859457477326376964/photo/1

Ah, how pleasant.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Basically they think EU Law > UK Law. Why don't they turn it on its head and withdraw EU rights to the Brits living in the EU27?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    Scott_P said:

Too right. We'll get a great deal if we just roll over and submit to all of the EU's demands that Brexit cannot be a success.
  • Options

OGH just loses a bit of the G at election time, that's all - tweets are an indicator.
    If you don't like it here on HIS blog, you can bugger off!
This discussion has been closed.