Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two nations: the Brexit chasm

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited September 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two nations: the Brexit chasm

Many people my age will have been captivated as children by André Maurois’s fable “Fattypuffs And Thinifers”, in which two brothers descend underground to find themselves in a world where the plump and the skinny are divided into separate realms.  The two sides eventually go to war before a compromise is eventually reached.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    edited September 2016
    First.

Thanks, Mr Meeks.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Second like the poor old English rent boy.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Would you like a large coke with that?

:wink:
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Would you like a large coke with that?

:wink:
    :tongue:
  • Options
    I think Alastair must be able to predict the future. From his article:
    ...many Leavers see Remainers as treacherous degenerates....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,286
    edited September 2016
    Sixth like Ed Balls

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/04/g20-theresa-may-warns-of-tough-times-for-uk-economy-after-brexit

It will all get better when the extra cash for our health service actually arrives.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Halfway down the grid, like Jenson Button.

Good article Alastair, although I won't be betting against the Con Maj quite yet. The only point I'd disagree with that the Remainers are sure they have lost. We saw Tory Blair on TV last week, almost in tears again, praying that there was a way that he could still achieve his ambition of leading the EU we could somehow remain.
  • Options
    I see the Mirror have the Keith Vaz story. Not quite as good as Mark Oaten, but not a bad effort.
    Now what will Labour say to make today worse for him than it is already?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002
    Good article. There was a group on the next bench to us at the cricket (the cricket!!!) the other day discussing Brexit and one was recounting how his family was split over the issue. Split to the extent that some were no longer talking to each other.

I Remain convinced that it won’t be as bad as we feared, nor the tight little island of milk, honey and contented Brits that the Leavers predicted, but I’m sad that it appears that for some time to come many of our best brains will be devoting their time to unpicking the work of the last forty years.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I see the Mirror have the Keith Vaz story. Not quite as good as Mark Oaten, but not a bad effort.

Finally, the sleazy Vaz's career will be over. Resigning from the Home Affairs Committee today?
  • Options
    Most of my Remain friends are of a more philosophical bent than Mr Meeks' "oh well, we lost, better get on with it and make the best of it".....unlike Scotland where two years on the losers do nothing but stoke up grievance....
  • Options
    On Mr Vaz, it was always curious that he had no knowledge of the Elm Guest House when he worked for the council at the time.....
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Sandpit said:

Finally, the sleazy Vaz's career will be over. Resigning from the Home Affairs Committee today?
    Can we call him Keith Vazeline now?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I think you are over interpreting this - and looking at it through the wrong prism.

This is simply the metropolitan / non-metropolitan divide. Leave/Remain has just thrown it into sharp relief.

It's a divide that has persisted for centuries and, no doubt, will continue to persist.

The only thing that is unusual is that for the last 20 years (since Blair) politics has been utterly dominated by the metropolitan tendency with a very narrow worldview and the contempt that Londoners have always had for their country cousins.

That was simply unhealthy, and I'm glad that the natural order has reasserted itself. London has a hugely important role to play in the country, but its priorities and interests are different from those of the rest of the realm and it should never been allow to hold sway.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    "What makes it worse is that while Remainers are sure that they have lost, Leavers remain nervous that their victory might yet be stolen from them."

The people clambering for a second referendum clearly didn't get the memo!
  • Options
    philiph said:

Sandpit said:

Very good. Man prefers bare back riding.
  • Options
    RobD said:

"What makes it worse is that while Remainers are sure that they have lost, Leavers remain nervous that their victory might yet be stolen from them."

The people clambering for a second referendum clearly didn't get the memo!

The real divide is between the pragmatic leavers and the leadbangers. The latter fear that the former will secure the ascendency, as one would expect considering they should get the backing of most remainers as well, hence their insecurity in apparent victory.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I think you are over interpreting this - and looking at it through the wrong prism.

This is simply the metropolitan / non-metropolitan divide. Leave/Remain has just thrown it into sharp relief.

It's a divide that has persisted for centuries and, no doubt, will continue to persist.

The only thing that is unusual is that for the last 20 years (since Blair) politics has been utterly dominated by the metropolitan tendency with a very narrow worldview and the contempt that Londoners have always had for their country cousins.

That was simply unhealthy, and I'm glad that the natural order has reasserted itself. London has a hugely important role to play in the country, but its priorities and interests are different from those of the rest of the realm and it should never been allow to hold sway.

London does not (unless its boundaries have swollen overnight) contain anything like 48% of the electorate.

• Options
    Good article and I was with Alastair until the end, when his Remain stance showed through. Moderate centrist Remainers should vote Tory because moderate centrist Remainers will be broadly in line with May's position. The EU is a minor issue for most people and many Remainers voted that way because they saw it as the least worst option. Now that it's Leave, they're reconciled to the fact and will simply be looking for who can make it best work.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I agree - but the 'simply' bit needs to be tempered by the realisation that what has become, perhaps temporarily (until 2020 at least, it would seem) the principal fault line in British politics runs through (the support base of) both the main parties, which is why it is so noteworthy and potentially important.
  • Options

Charles said:

London does not (unless its boundaries have swollen overnight) contain anything like 48% of the electorate.

No, it doesn't. But some other parts of the country have similar tendencies in the post-industrial area both economically (parts of Manchester), socially (Brighton) and intellectually (Oxbridge). Additionally, large parts of the South East are London's hinterlands and the residents think alike.
  • Options
    Mr Vaz has a well populated Wiki page.

One man, so much content.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

I agree - but the 'simply' bit needs to be tempered by the realisation that what has become, perhaps temporarily (until 2020 at least, it would seem) the principal fault line in British politics runs through (the support base of) both the main parties, which is why it is so noteworthy and potentially important.
    Has it really, though?

To some extent it is inevitable when there is close to a 50/50 split in the electorate.

I think all we are seeing is a split between the average voter and the political/media class.

How many Tories, for instance, are really going to move away from supporting the Conservatives over the EU? I doubt it is many at all.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Agreed. And that "fault line" is the replacement of a monocultural society whose politics were organised around class divisions by a multicultural society whose politics will. with every year that passes, be more and more about race, and, in consequence, less and less pleasant, and indeed less capable of being held within the framework of representative democracy.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

Why is Vaz being stitched up? Frankly his private life is noone elses business. Where is the public interest in this story?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Charles said:

Charles said:

No, it doesn't. But some other parts of the country have similar tendencies in the post-industrial area both economically (parts of Manchester), socially (Brighton) and intellectually (Oxbridge). Additionally, large parts of the South East are London's hinterlands and the residents think alike.
    A kind of big city/small town axis was I think the big divide followed by m/c and w/c fissures. Either way - the rift will heal and the country will move on and elements of both sides will be dissatisfied. Twas ever thus.
  • Options
    I would suggest that the great divide and fracture through the population is neither unusual or as deep as perceived.

On all topics the highly committed minority punch above their wieght these days. Social media, blogs, access to tv news, current affairs, chat shows and printed media are greater than ever. Media outlets search out the more extreem views to make a story.

The majority are learning to filter out the increased level of hyperbole and get on with our lives harmoniously. The committed activist will remain so on both sides.

The freedom of expression and the ease with which trenchant views can be expressed on line will cause some fracturing of family, club or community relationships. People express views without seeing the body language of the other party and are much more likely to express views without fear or consideration of the implication of those views on others. In a world of social media rather perversely relationships and friendships will sometimes suffer.
  • Options

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

Why is Vaz being stitched up? Frankly his private life is noone elses business. Where is the public interest in this story?
    If his own wife can't trust him to behave, why should the rest of us allow him to be in a position of responsibility?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Sandpit said:

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

If his own wife can't trust him to behave, why should the rest of us allow him to be in a position of responsibility?
    his role reviewing laws on prostitution? (Reply to OP)
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

A quick peruse says that the Mirror's angle is that it is a conflict of interest with investigations on prostitution being done by the Home Affairs Select committee.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

As usual, you live in a world of your own. "London" and "contains intelligent voters" are not synonyms. At least, not to the rest of us. And quite what Spitalfields and Surrey have in common, apart from their initial letter, I have no idea.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

Yeah, the public interest is he's an unfaithful liar. Interesting that it was published in the Mirror given their politics (maybe Vaz is a red Tory?)
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Agreed. And that "fault line" is the replacement of a monocultural society whose politics were organised around class divisions by a multicultural society whose politics will. with every year that passes, be more and more about race, and, in consequence, less and less pleasant, and indeed less capable of being held within the framework of representative democracy.

America here we come....
  • Options
    alex. said:

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

A quick peruse says that the Mirror's angle is that it is a conflict of interest with investigations on prostitution being done by the Home Affairs Select committee.
    Well, given what we now know I would have thought he would have been well placed to advise on it!!!

Frankly I cannot stand the man, far too tricky an individual and unless he has the skin of a rhino, its going to be very costly personally.
  • Options

alex. said:

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

Well, given what we now know I would have thought he would have been well placed to advise on it!!!

Frankly I cannot stand the man, far too tricky an individual and unless he has the skin of a rhino, its going to be very costly personally.
    Select Committees typically call experts as witnesses, they tend not to be filled with them ;)
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited September 2016

I think Alastair must be able to predict the future. From his article:
    ...many Leavers see Remainers as treacherous degenerates....

Where on earth did he get that idea from -innocent face ?
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

As usual, you live in a world of your own. "London" and "contains intelligent voters" are not synonyms. At least, not to the rest of us. And quite what Spitalfields and Surrey have in common, apart from their initial letter, I have no idea.

Where does your quote "contains intelligent voters" come from? Certainly not from me.
  • Options
    Can someone educate me? As an innocent country dweller without experience in these matters I don't know the difference between a Male prostitute serving male clients and a rent boy. Is it age or are they interchangeable?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    philiph said:

Can someone educate me? As an innocent country dweller without experience in these matters I don't know the difference between a Male prostitute serving male clients and a rent boy. Is it age or are they interchangeable?

Interchangeable I think, 'make prostitute serving male clients' is a bit of a mouthful ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

Yeah, the public interest is he's an unfaithful liar. Interesting that it was published in the Mirror given their politics (maybe Vaz is a red Tory?)
    Anyone to the right of Jezza is a Tory now.

It's said on journalists' eithics courses that's there's a big difference between something that's in the public interest and something the public may find interesting.

The head of the Home Affairs Select Cttee has policy on prostitution and drugs as two of his areas of interest, and today's story says he is not exactly an impartial observer on those subjects.
  • Options
    Has he been getting legal advice from a 15yrs old?

A friend of Mr Vaz said that while the politician accepted he had been foolish, he believed he had been the victim of a newspaper sting.

He also suggested he might have been drugged during the encounter with the two men.

The friend added that Mr Vaz had first met the men while they were working as decorators.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3772784/Let-s-party-started-Married-Labour-statesman-Keith-Vaz-met-male-prostitutes-London-flat-wanted-man-drugs.html#ixzz4JGf3qLDU

• Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Where does your quote "contains intelligent voters" come from? Certainly not from me.
    Fair cop, guv :)

• Options
    RobD said:

philiph said:

Interchangeable I think, 'make prostitute serving male clients' is a bit of a mouthful ;)
    I think rent boy indicates that the individual is a young adolescent..
  • Options

RobD said:

philiph said:

I think rent boy indicates that the individual is a young adolescent..
    Aren't they all on the young side?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    IPSOS/Reuters vast state polling via 538. Caution on sample sizes required. Range from 131 in NH to 713 in Virginia with most sub 450 :

OH .. C 43 .. T 46
    PA .. C 48 .. T 42
    FL .. C 48 .. T 45
    VA .. C 50 .. T 37
    NC .. C 49 .. T 44
    GA .. C 41 .. T 47
    AZ .. C 41 .. T 45
    WI .. C 38 .. T 38
    MI .. C 42 .. T 42
    SC .. C 45 .. T 48
    MA .. C 42 .. T 42
    UT .. C 34 .. T 35
    IA .. C 41 .. T 44
    NV .. C 43 .. T 35
    CO .. C 45 .. T 39
    NH .. C 44 .. T 35

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/updates/
  • Options
    RobD said:

philiph said:

Thanks. I seem to recall mark Oaten was rent boys. It is a more damaging and pejorative term as it insinuates under age.

I don't swallow your view that is a mouthful ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2016

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Indeed, what the multikulti enthusiasts didnt think through is that without a single demos there can be no democracy as each demos will compete and its members vote for their own demos.

Multiracial society - fine - we have always done that - but from the 60s onwards assimilation of immigrants into our culture was replaced by emphasising difference.

Partly due to the establishment losing its confidence after the post world war decline of empire (meaning they became very useful idiots), and partly due to secular leftists activists seeing immigrants as a useful trojan horse which they could use to undermine the reactionary British culture and religion and bring about their Gramascian fantasies.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Two nations?

Seventy-five people turned up to whine in Cardiff. A few thousand, at most, in London.

It's not two nations. It's a tiny percentage of people who think democracy should be overturned if people vote a way they dislike, and everybody else.

Does your back ache from lopsided gait? Heavy wallet causing hip pain? Lighten the load by following Morris Dancer's F1 tips:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/italy-pre-race-2016.html
  • Options
    philiph said:

RobD said:

philiph said:

Thanks. I seem to recall mark Oaten was rent boys. It is a more damaging and pejorative term as it insinuates under age.

Rent boy also sounds a lot like a vulnerable young person being taken advantage of by substantially older man. A very popular term in the 80/90s.

I still can't understand how poppers aren't illegal highs. That they improve anal sex really doesn't seem like a trump card to me. Best stop there given it's Sunday morning...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    I wonder who tipped off The Mirror re Vaz?

How long will it take the BBC to mention his difficulties?

Passports and Labour donors, large sums of money lying in bank accounts have featured in past headlines, yet he has had more political lives than a cat.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

philiph said:

RobD said:

philiph said:

Rent boy also sounds a lot like a vulnerable young person being taken advantage of by substantially older man. A very popular term in the 80/90s.

I still can't understand how poppers aren't illegal highs. That they improve anal sex really doesn't seem like a trump card to me. Best stop there given it's Sunday morning...
    Why specifically anal sex..?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited September 2016
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

philiph said:

RobD said:

philiph said:

My initial query was because I was musing on how it would be reported if it was a Tory. Rent boy or prostitute?

Plato, be carful using trump in a sentence with anal sex. I would hate you to be sued by an American ;)
  • Options
    philiph said:

I would suggest that the great divide and fracture through the population is neither unusual or as deep as perceived.

On all topics the highly committed minority punch above their wieght these days. Social media, blogs, access to tv news, current affairs, chat shows and printed media are greater than ever. Media outlets search out the more extreem views to make a story.

The majority are learning to filter out the increased level of hyperbole and get on with our lives harmoniously. The committed activist will remain so on both sides.

What has changed is that people are now bombarded with a cacaphony of different views and have to filter this and think about it and come to a conclusion as to which is right.

Twenty five years ago there was just the bbc, ITV and a handful of printed newspapers.

All of which bar a couple of newspapers perhaps were dominated by a metropoltan progressive world view.

The progressives finally woke up to this new reality - that their received view on the BBC etc. is no longer just accepted by millions because of new media competition airing alternative views - on June 24th- and they are aghast.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

I think you best stop before the sh*t hits the fan ....
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I wonder who tipped off The Mirror re Vaz?

How long will it take the BBC to mention his difficulties?

Passports and Labour donors, large sums of money lying in bank accounts have featured in past headlines, yet he has had more political lives than a cat.

The young men who recognised him?! I still can't get over Mark Oaten being known outside his own front door. So unlucky. Vaz is all over the media.

He definitely doesn't sound like a washing machine salesman called Jim.
  • Options
  • Options
    To be fair, they do both usually stay away from covering that sort of scandalous front page - if only to excuse themselves from inclusion in the libel trial.
  • Options
    Mr. Wheel, different laws for broadcast and print media, which can lead to sometimes stark (and sometimes daft) differences in coverage.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

philiph said:

What has changed is that people are now bombarded with a cacaphony of different views and have to filter this and think about it and come to a conclusion as to which is right.

Twenty five years ago there was just the bbc, ITV and a handful of printed newspapers.

All of which bar a couple of newspapers perhaps were dominated by a metropoltan progressive world view.

The progressives finally woke up to this new reality - that their received view on the BBC etc. is no longer just accepted by millions because of new media competition airing alternative views - on June 24th- and they are aghast.
    I certainly agree that there is a greater diversity of viewpoint available, for those that want it. But I am not sure that 'people' are all being bombarded by all these views? Those of us that search them out, or put ourselves in their way, certainly are. But social media and the rest still passes most people by, as far as politics is concerned. Most people don't follow politicians and news sites; indeed most people aren't on Twitter. And with fewer and fewer newspaper readers that takes us back to tv and radio. And the BBC website.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

I partially agree with Charles however the London of Meeks and co barely extends beyond the old LCC area known as inner London.

The bits annexed from the home counties in 1965 - which is about half the population - were much less remain with many boroughs voting leave outright.

Strong remain areas were areas where social values are uber progressive - Inner London, Parts of Manchester and Brighton.

I suspect that what worries them most is that the brexit result may indicate that Blairite social reforms are not as widely accepted as they thought and therefore far more fragile and they fear waking up one day and discovering things like section 28 have returned.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    Who cares what he thinks, he will be gone by Christmas (just after)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    May showing her inexperience today I think. Talks about optimism whilst clumsily saying "it won't be plain sailing".

• Options

RobD said:
    Who cares what he thinks, he will be gone by Christmas (just after)
    I don't suppose you think he ever should have been there in the first place...

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002
    PlatoSaid said:

philiph said:

RobD said:

philiph said:

Amyl nitrite was, in my younger days, used mediacally for emergency vasodilation and it appears, from a quick search that it occasionally still is.
  • Options
    I see the STimes has found another one who's allegedly a local councillor 150 miles from where they live.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/new-corbyn-ally-in-false-voter-registration-row-kkgm9q56d
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

May showing her inexperience today I think. Talks about optimism whilst clumsily saying "it won't be plain sailing".

You think that's clumsy? I would haver thought it sensible politics. if the PM intimates that she is optimistic and its all going to be plain sailing, she will be in it the first time something goes wrong.

• Options
    JackW said:
    That is a lot of dont knows in palinland
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

I partially agree with Charles however the London of Meeks and co barely extends beyond the old LCC area known as inner London.

The bits annexed from the home counties in 1965 - which is about half the population - were much less remain with many boroughs voting leave outright.

Strong remain areas were areas where social values are uber progressive - Inner London, Parts of Manchester and Brighton.

I suspect that what worries them most is that the brexit result may indicate that Blairite social reforms are not as widely accepted as they thought and therefore far more fragile and they fear waking up one day and discovering things like section 28 have returned.
    I think the return of things like section 28 are highly unlikely. I would hope we continue social reform with legalisation and regulation of all drug use amongst other measures.

The EU was seen by many as another layer of government on a population who resent having layer upon layer of government. It was not seen as having our best interest at its core, do millions said Out.

I'm not sure there is a connection with social views.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

You think that's clumsy? I would haver thought it sensible politics. if the PM intimates that she is optimistic and its all going to be plain sailing, she will be in it the first time something goes wrong.

Definitely clumsy.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    philiph said:

<
    I think the return of things like section 28 are highly unlikely. I would hope we continue social reform with legalisation and regulation of all drug use amongst other measures.

The EU was seen by many as another layer of government on a population who resent having layer upon layer of government. It was not seen as having our best interest at its core, do millions said Out.

I too think it pretty unlikely - although demographic change may alter that and everything else in a generation or two - but I disagree with you on the social values.

Many of the things mr meeks outlined in his article are social values - even the differences in preferred brands. The referendum has exposed a fault line in social values with the luddites being in the majority and as a result, through progressive eyes there is the fear of half a century of progressive reform starting to unravel, especially bearing in mind how much european institutions were used to entrench such social reforms.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Drug laws are a mess in most Western countries, being a wish washy middle way that serves only to increase the powers of the police to target those they wish to target.

Either go with the hardline Thailand/Singapore/Dubai rules of zero tolerance, or with the Portuguese rules of acceptance. The current drug laws are really not fit for purpose.
  • Options

JackW said:
    Alaska voters clearly can't decide which shade of lipstick to embellish on the Presidential porkers.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Oh FFS, is Meeks still wittering on that some thickoes pissed on his chips?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Charles said:

And is a funny old metroplitan elite that is 30% of the population of South Essex, Stoke on Trent and Lincolnshire. The weird country hicks who are a third of the population of inner London are not very visible either!

Unless you make a circular definition where Remainer = metropolitan elite and Leaver = sturdy yeoman/hillbilly, then these terms are clearly inadequate. Age breaks down similarly too with substantial numbers of elderly Remainers and young Leavers, albeit both minorities.

I don't think that the national politics will split on this issue, as not that many are bothered about the EU either way, and for many it doesn't impinge on daily life. Apart from worsening our recruitment crisis Brexit doesn't affect me much at all. It will remain what it has been for a long time, a running battle between factions of the Tory party, but that is of little interest to most of us, even most political nerds.

To me Brexit was a futile vote against one aspect of globalisation and the modern world, a self inflicted wound but not one to be picked at.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,274

If the story is as reported he has potentially committed two criminal offences punishable by imprisonment, including seeking to possess a Class A drug and concealing his identity in order to purchase sex.

If the Mail is right, admittedly perhaps for only the second time in its history (the first being about Giscard being inappropriate to draw up the EU constitution) then Vaz is in very serious trouble. Even if the police decide not to prosecute, it's hard to see Labour's leadership not exploiting it to the full. Any bet on a by-election in Leicester suddenly looks good.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Drug laws are a mess in most Western countries, being a wish washy middle way that serves only to increase the powers of the police to target those they wish to target.

Either go with the hardline Thailand/Singapore/Dubai rules of zero tolerance, or with the Portuguese rules of acceptance. The current drug laws are really not fit for purpose.
    In case Keith Vaz is reading to help with his role on the home affairs committee, not only would I legalise and regulate drugs I would do the same with prostitution.

• Options

PlatoSaid said:

philiph said:

RobD said:

philiph said:

Amyl nitrite was, in my younger days, used mediacally for emergency vasodilation and it appears, from a quick search that it occasionally still is.
    It also relaxes sphincters, thereby making entry easier.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,274
    On topic, thanks Alistair. I agree about the fault line, but I would argue it is class rather than geography. In my school the teachers - overwhelmingly middle class - were largely pro-EU, the support staff, including our magnificent football coach (a retired brickie) mostly against. I think I would have found the same in many places. Maybe the real psephological story of the referendum is it shows how insignificant a segment of London's population the WWC have become in these days of skilled jobs and high rents/house prices.
  • Options

JackW said:
    Wouldn't they be more "F***! Bear! Ruuuunn!" than "don't know"?
  • Options

Oh FFS, is Meeks still wittering on that some thickoes pissed on his chips?

Quite
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Definitely clumsy.
    Not sure "It's not going to be plain sailing but I'm optimistic we'll get a good outcome" seems an entirely natural phrasing to communicate to the non-political class
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If the story is as reported he has potentially committed two criminal offences punishable by imprisonment, including seeking to possess a Class A drug and concealing his identity in order to purchase sex.

If the Mail is right, admittedly perhaps for only the second time in its history (the first being about Giscard being inappropriate to draw up the EU constitution) then Vaz is in very serious trouble. Even if the police decide not to prosecute, it's hard to see Labour's leadership not exploiting it to the full. Any bet on a by-election in Leicester suddenly looks good.
    Keith Vaz has a hell of a brass neck. I expect him to sit it out.
  • Options
    Guido and Mark William-Thomas are tweeting that there's lots more that could come out too.

Vaz has a crypt full of skeletons, how he's oiled his way out of them so far amazes me.
  • Options

Charles said:

And is a funny old metroplitan elite that is 30% of the population of South Essex, Stoke on Trent and Lincolnshire. The weird country hicks who are a third of the population of inner London are not very visible either!

Unless you make a circular definition where Remainer = metropolitan elite and Leaver = sturdy yeoman/hillbilly, then these terms are clearly inadequate. Age breaks down similarly too with substantial numbers of elderly Remainers and young Leavers, albeit both minorities.

I don't think that the national politics will split on this issue, as not that many are bothered about the EU either way, and for many it doesn't impinge on daily life. Apart from worsening our recruitment crisis Brexit doesn't affect me much at all. It will remain what it has been for a long time, a running battle between factions of the Tory party, but that is of little interest to most of us, even most political nerds.

To me Brexit was a futile vote against one aspect of globalisation and the modern world, a self inflicted wound but not one to be picked at.
    I didn't say "metropolitan elite" - a term I hate - but "metropolitan" It's a mindset issue.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    edited September 2016
    RobD said:
    It seems China put Obama at the back of the queue by not supplying airstairs for his plane when it arrived in Hangzhou
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:
    Wouldn't they be more "F***! Bear! Ruuuunn!" than "don't know"?
    Quite possibly - and I suspect the sheep in Alaska tend to say something similar when they see an alaskan.....

(there are sheep in Alaska and they have reason to be scared... http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=sheephunting.opportunities )
  • Options

philiph said:

Sandpit said:

It sounds one hell of a lot more serious than that my friend:

http://order-order.com/2016/09/04/244563/

I'm not going to type out that allegation here but that certainly wouldn't just be his own affair.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Charles said:

[snip].
    But that wasn't the point Paul was making; it was that the self-righteous progressives horror is their visioning a country where it could happen. Whether that imagining is at all likely is beside the point.

In reality, it is the demographic changes that they themselves champion that is most likely to lead to extreme social conservatism, as well as political extremism. In rubbing the country's face in multiculturalism, not only have they imported a significant slice of third-world misogyny, homophobia and other intolerance but have prompted a backlash on the populist right which not only drew some of their own supporters away (and perhaps in the process cost them at least one of the 2010 and 2015 elections), but is likely to have been one of the more significant factors that prompted the Brexit vote.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

On topic, thanks Alistair. I agree about the fault line, but I would argue it is class rather than geography. In my school the teachers - overwhelmingly middle class - were largely pro-EU, the support staff, including our magnificent football coach (a retired brickie) mostly against. I think I would have found the same in many places. Maybe the real psephological story of the referendum is it shows how insignificant a segment of London's population the WWC have become in these days of skilled jobs and high rents/house prices.

Yes, the geography substantially reflected the age/class structure of the country (except Scotland).

Not entirely of course, as all groups had substantial dissenting minorities.
  • Options
    That Guido allegation is 1000x more explosive than today's Mirror :O

http://order-order.com/2016/09/04/244563/
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Isn't politicians being more honest with the public something that the public keep asking for?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Meeks is wrong of course and Charles is closer to the truth.

In another decade, EU supporters will be a small minority. The pathetic turnout at their so-called demonstration yesterday, fronted by weirdos, already demonstrates their lack of any real popular support. Most of the REMAIN vote was a fear vote.

Nice to see Vaz finally exposed as well.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    One thing is often forgotten when looking at the reopening of the Brexit vote, and that is the advantage that the government had.

It had the status quo, the advantage of office, months of civil service abuse, the aid of foreign or Supranational organisations, the machinery of the broadcast media.

In any second vote, that advantage would be gone. The playing field would be much more level.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

I didn't say "metropolitan elite" - a term I hate - but "metropolitan" It's a mindset issue.
    Funny sort of metropolitan in rural Lincs. It becomes a meaningless label.

Why just not stick to Remainer and Leaver without trying to attribute other properties?
  • Options
    philiph said:

Sandpit said:

philiph said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

In case Keith Vaz is reading to help with his role on the home affairs committee, not only would I legalise and regulate drugs I would do the same with prostitution.
    lol, agree with not regulating what consenting adults do in private either
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Isn't politicians being more honest with the public something that the public keep asking for?
    It's the way she immediately put herself back on the optimism line that gives it away.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    (1/3) The author asks, "And the gap in the centre is now achingly empty: who are centrists who hold Remain values now supposed to vote for?" This appears to lead him to conclude that the Tories can't form a large enough coalition of voters to win the next election, unless it is held imminently. This exposes a fundamental misunderstanding of the composition of the electorate.

We live in a small-c conservative country, and one where there is very little actual enthusiasm for the EU, either. The referendum result may have split almost 50/50, but I reckon that there were an awful lot of people who really wanted rid of the EU on the Leave side, whereas at least half of Remainers were backing the status quo purely for reasons of economic stability. Look at the rich core of southern England outside of London, all around Hampshire, West Sussex and the Thames Valley, where safe Tory voting areas and Remain majorities coincided: if all of these people hadn't done better than practically everybody else in the country out of the pre-referendum economic situation, then there is no reason to suppose that all of these counting areas (Oxford probably excepted) would not have followed almost the whole of the rest of rural England out of the exit door.

There are committed Europhiles, but I doubt if many of them supported the Tories even before this referendum. And there is no reason to suppose that all the voters who both backed Remain this year and the Tories in 2015 won't continue to vote Tory in future. As has previously been pointed out, these pragmatic voters have already done what the new PM has - effectively, shrugged their shoulders, accepted the result, and resolved to move on and make the best of it. There's no mileage in trying to woo these people with a passionate pro-EU pitch, when they were never passionately committed to the EU to begin with.

IMHO, the political situation remains much as it was before the referendum, with a badly divided opposition and a Conservative Party with the means to win big next time. Labour seems determined to follow a radical, regressive Left path that will be given serious consideration by no more than a fifth of the electorate - those with a natural ideological bent towards the Hard Left, metropolitan left-liberal utopians, disenchanted students, and parts of the unionised public sector workforce. It will be reliant on the support of a few other niche voter groups (poorer black and Muslim voters, working age people who are long-term benefit dependent, and the shrinking cohort of elderly habit voters) to get it up to the 25% mark. Labour is currently polling below 30%, and there is no particular reason to suppose that (a) the pollsters aren't still overestimating its support, and (b) it won't underperform when Corbyn and McDonnell are subjected to the full rigours of a general election campaign, and voters are confronted with the stark reality that backing Labour means putting that pair in charge of the country.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Guido and Mark William-Thomas are tweeting that there's lots more that could come out too.
    Vaz has a crypt full of skeletons, how he's oiled his way out of them so far amazes me.

I imagine Guido's little black book has several pages on Mr Vaz. More to come next week?

Edit: looks like Mr Staines has started already, and the Mirror story is now the least of his problems. He is the proverbial cooked bread, possibly even as an MP. :open_mouth:
This discussion has been closed.