Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I’m betting that it’ll be next July at the earliest bef

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Lowlander said:

RobD said:

Lowlander said:

MaxPB said:

Chameleon said:

Sky news giving a lot of airtime to a blatant Erdogan apologist.

She's an AKP member.
    Should the D-notices not be issued already?

As far as I can tell from the coverage on Sky and the BBC, they are promoting the Erdogan message of getting people on the streets and claiming the coup may fail.

Isn't this what D-notices are meant for?
    How many in Turkey are watching Sky?
    For example, Fox News are taking their feed from Sky. The UK might be a tiny backwater in political terms but its news services are still important. Issue the D-notices and make sure the coup is properly backed.
    I'm now utterly convinced you are Dair :p
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    surbiton said:

Great news. Turkish people crushes Golan. Golan is an Islamist and these coup plotters were supporting him.

All political parties have come out against the coup.

You're a Labourite right?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    Possibility that the large crowds of people on the streets could just be people playing pokemon go?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Two hours ago there were celebrations in Damascus as news of the attempted coup spread. Assad will be very disappointed now.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    MarcKlein said:
    Doesn't look like they are taking a great deal of notice of Emily Thornberry MP?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Pulpstar said:

Foreign powers ostensibly not taking sides.

They won't until it's clear that there's a winner. Erdogan hasnt got many friends.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

Great news. Turkish people crushes Golan. Golan is an Islamist and these coup plotters were supporting him.

Yes, and I support democracy. I do not support a tiny faction of the army supporting the installation of a Islamist cleric hiding in Pennsylvania.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    runnymede said:

alex. said:

"The chief of staff of the military has not spoken yet and traditionally with Turkish coups you would expect the head of the military to be on TV taking command.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/15/turkey-coup-attempt-military-gunfire-ankara

That's because he's been deposed. This hasn't been led by the generals.
    nice one Richard
    If you weren't such a complete idiot, you'd have realised that I was quoting someone who was making exactly the point that this coup hasn't been led by the generals.
  • Options
    Hm, what is quicker, going to the airport and trying to fly there, or asking on twitter? Fair enough to ask.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Tiny companies to me are that size. If you are talking 5 to 10 staff then you should be caught by AE if you don't have a scheme for genuine employee directors s
    And in fact why would you not just have a qwps already with all the tax advantages there are incl sal exchange for the company???

Of course, we have a small self-administered scheme, which we're perfectly happy with, and into which we pay far more than the auto-enrolment limits. But like most such schemes it's not compliant with the auto-enrolment rules.

Anyway - my point to Baroness Altman was a simple one. Why on earth did we have to go through the charade, knowing that it was a charade? Who on earth was the charade supposed to protect? This is supposed to be a government dedicated to sweeping away nonsensical red-tape, and here was a completely unambiguous piece of nonsensical red-tape all ready to be cut out.
    The ssas market is tiny and sophisticated and shrinking too with group sipps. You are hardly the AE target market then. Either you ensure you are able to say you are a qwps (dk if a ssas can be off the top of my head) or as you say the scheme members have to opt out. You'll be re enrolled in 3 years time too. So unless qwps then. It's all opt out again. I presume no employees in a non ssas scheme?
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    surbiton said:

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

Yes, and I support democracy. I do not support a tiny faction of the army supporting the installation of a Islamist cleric hiding in Pennsylvania.
    Nobody here knows who is behind this. It could be one of all sorts of factions.
  • Options
    The Coup members really needed to take control of key places quicker. Should have made arrests and moved into position before declaring they they were taking control.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Lowlander said:

RobD said:

Lowlander said:

MaxPB said:

Chameleon said:

She's an AKP member.

As far as I can tell from the coverage on Sky and the BBC, they are promoting the Erdogan message of getting people on the streets and claiming the coup may fail.

For example, Fox News are taking their feed from Sky. The UK might be a tiny backwater in political terms but its news services are still important. Issue the D-notices and make sure the coup is properly backed.
    I'm now utterly convinced you are Dair :p
    What ?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

The Coup members really needed to take control of key places quicker. Should have made arrests and moved into position before declaring they they were taking control.

PB armchair generals out in force :p
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    In polling terms will this give rocketboosters to Trump ?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Yes, they were too slow in getting the police on side. If they had the police on side the curfew would have been respected.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

So Turkish elections are free and fair?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chameleon said:

PB armchair generals out in force :p
    Indeed :p
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

So you are supporting a military putsch instigated by an Islamic cleric ?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095
    If this is small group within the military, why aren't the remaining military restoring order?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,573
    surbiton said:

Two hours ago there were celebrations in Damascus as news of the attempted coup spread. Assad will be very disappointed now.

Not sure he'll be that bothered either way.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Too soon to say. If it's successful then possibly as it just looks like more turmoil in the Middle East.
  • Options

If this is small group within the military, why aren't the remaining military restoring order?

exactly.
  • Options

They are. These "Golanists" know what's coming.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Chameleon said:

We have no idea who is behind it. I strongly suspect that it's a coup by the secularists, not the islamists.
  • Options

The small group line comes from the AKP, it looks like a lot of the military are in this.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

They are. These "Golanists" know what's coming.
    Are they?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Lowlander said:

RobD said:

Lowlander said:

MaxPB said:

Chameleon said:

She's an AKP member.

Fox News has their regular evening programming on.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Anyone know what is going on in the video on the right of the Sky News stream? There are dozens of soldiers sitting around.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Thrak said:

surbiton said:

Lowlander said:

surbiton said:

Nobody here knows who is behind this. It could be one of all sorts of factions.
    I'm going with JackW
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095
    MaxPB said:

The small group line comes from the AKP, it looks like a lot of the military are in this.
    Does it? Maybe I'm being naive but from the pictures, these soldiers look like they are in very small groups.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    MaxPB said:

Bollocks ! All 4 Turkish armies are against. All political parties are against. The people are out on the street against them. The police are against them.

It was incredible watching Erdogan appealing to the people to come out on the streets and within 5 minutes Al Jazeera was broadcasting live from Gaziantep taht the people had responded, Another 5 minutes later people were surrounding the tanks in Istanbul airport.

Power to the people !
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

surbiton said:

Chameleon said:

We have no idea who is behind it. I strongly suspect that it's a coup by the secularists, not the islamists.
    The military leaders have said that they will rewrite the constitution to the secular one introduced by Atatürk.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Bollocks ! All 4 Turkish armies are against. All political parties are against. The people are out on the street against them. The police are against them.

Then how come it is still going on?
  • Options
    Why does FlightRadar show location of tanks??
  • Options

The ssas market is tiny and sophisticated and shrinking too with group sipps. You are hardly the AE target market then. Either you ensure you are able to say you are a qwps (dk if a ssas can be off the top of my head) or as you say the scheme members have to opt out. You'll be re enrolled in 3 years time too. So unless qwps then. It's all opt out again. I presume no employees in a non ssas scheme?

Yep, we just had to pretend to sign up (no doubt at some cost to Nest, luckily not to us except for the wasted time), and go though the money laundering nonsense, and then opt out again. As you say, in three years' time - again on pain of criminal sanctions, which really gets my goat - we'll have to pretend to write ourselves letters saying we've been opted back in, and then we'll have to opt out again. Utterly barmy.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

All parties against? They have made statements?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Erdogan speaking on Al Jazeera English live now
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020
    surbiton said:

Chameleon said:

You have absolutely no evidence it is instigated by Golan beyond the claims of Erdogan. It is far more likely at the moment that it is exactly what is claimed - a secular military coup against an islamist President.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Blimey how do you have this intelligence ?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

surbiton said:

Chameleon said:

You have absolutely no evidence it is instigated by Golan beyond the claims of Erdogan. It is far more likely at the moment that it is exactly what is claimed - a secular military coup against an islamist President.
    How do I manage to always be on the other side of almost any issue from Surbiton?
  • Options
    Some people are looking very foolish saying they know what is happening. Just admit that you don't know and are parroting someone else. Cool heads maybe? It isn't even our conflict.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292

Erdogan speaking on Al Jazeera English live now

This is the video that came out 2-3 hrs ago.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Does it? Maybe I'm being naive but from the pictures, these soldiers look like they are in very small groups.
    They took over the key infrastructure too quickly and easily. That level of logistics wouldn't be possible for a small group.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Wow, you really have swallowed the Labour coolaid. Backing Islamists over secularists. Pathetic. When's your next rally to implement Sharia in the UK?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

It was incredible watching Erdogan appealing to the people to come out on the streets and within 5 minutes Al Jazeera was broadcasting live from Gaziantep taht the people had responded, Another 5 minutes later people were surrounding the tanks in Istanbul airport.

Power to the people !
    Are you sure about all that?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Surbiton - do you have a horse in this race? Because whilst most of us on pb pontificate with the certainty of not being able to change anything, you have come out like a honey badger.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

Some people are looking very foolish saying they know what is happening. Just admit that you don't know and are parroting someone else. Cool heads maybe? It isn't even our conflict.

The simple answer is nobody knows. Certainly not twitter.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Power to the people !
    The Erdogan supporting generals are against it. The brigadiers and colonels are making this happen.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

I am intelligent. You are not.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    RobD said:

Why does FlightRadar show location of tanks??

Most flights over Turkey seem to be heading in a south-eastwards direction. Not sure why.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

I am intelligent. You are not.
    Excellent rebuttal. ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Yes. Don't watch BBC. They are showing tapes from 2 hours back.. The so-called "coup" is over. Assad must be very disappointed.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

surbiton said:

Chameleon said:

How do I manage to always be on the other side of almost any issue from Surbiton?
    It means you're doing things right.
  • Options

Surbiton - do you have a horse in this race? Because whilst most of us on pb pontificate with the certainty of not being able to change anything, you have come out like a honey badger.

He's fighting for Erdogan more strongly than I remember him arguing for Labour in 2015, it is quite extraordinary.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Yes. Don't watch BBC. They are showing tapes from 2 hours back.. The so-called "coup" is over. Assad must be very disappointed.
    I'm not watching the BBC. Where are the statements from the other parties then?

LOL. the coup is over?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

surbiton said:

Chameleon said:

Common sense? Human decency? The desire for people to be free?

There's probably an unlimited number of reasons to be on the other side to Labourites like Surbiton.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,288
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

Hm, what is quicker, going to the airport and trying to fly there, or asking on twitter? Fair enough to ask.
    You could do both.
    Of course old school hacks might have their own contacts to hook up with rather than plaintively asking the great unwashed of Twitterdom what's going down.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Chameleon said:

surbiton said:

Chameleon said:

So you support a military coup ? Not even led by the Generals. Everybody in Turket hates the army. Turks, Kurds everybody.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    Pulpstar said:

Depends whether it turns out the coup was organised from Hillary's servers....
  • Options

RobD said:

You could do both.
    Of course old school hacks might have their own contacts to hook up with rather than plaintively asking the great unwashed of Twitterdom what's going down.
    To be fair Sky's coverage has been good. And as you say, you can do both - ask your contacts and twitter.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Main Kurdish party has come out against coup. trying to curry favour if Erdogan wins?

No surprise. They can't afford to be against him if he wins.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''He's fighting for Erdogan more strongly than I remember him arguing for Labour in 2015, it is quite extraordinary.''

Indeed. Surbiton's posts are quite incredible.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Power to the people !
    The Erdogan supporting generals are against it. The brigadiers and colonels are making this happen.
    You know bugger all.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,460
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

I'm not watching the BBC. Where are the statements from the other parties then?

LOL. the coup is over?
    "There are no tanks in Istanbul!"
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Power to the people !
    You know bugger all.
    And what is the source of your incredible knowledge on the subject then?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Yep, we just had to pretend to sign up (no doubt at some cost to Nest, luckily not to us except for the wasted time), and go though the money laundering nonsense, and then opt out again. As you say, in three years' time - again on pain of criminal sanctions, which really gets my goat - we'll have to pretend to write ourselves letters saying we've been opted back in, and then we'll have to opt out again. Utterly barmy.
    If you have to have a scheme for non directors who aren't in the ssas you directors could just join too pay the phased bare minimums and then carry on with the ssas regardless for main provision. The key though is you are untypical of the swathe of employers now staging and who mainly have shell stakeholders if they had need if anything at all. The tiny firms are ok too as I've defined them and Richard t shows.
  • Options
    Reuters — fighter jet shoots down military helicopter.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    And according to the office of the Turkish PM, Erdogan is in Istanbul....

Are there like touring versions of Erdogan, like the Four Tops franchise?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I was told the coup was over?
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Power to the people !
    You know bugger all.
    And what is the source of your incredible knowledge on the subject then?
    I think it's Al Jazeera.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Chameleon said:

surbiton said:

Chameleon said:

So you support a military coup ? Not even led by the Generals. Everybody in Turket hates the army. Turks, Kurds everybody.
    I support anyone who removes Islamists. I also supported al-Sisi.

The generals have been arrested.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Starting to look more and more like this coup attempt was organised by the PLP. Erdogan, will have his feet on the desk citing his mandate from the people within a few hours.
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

I was told the coup was over?
    the helicopter that was attacking the presidential palace?
  • Options
    The Coup Plotters have been arrested.
  • Options
    I've got to pop off for a bit, but I suspect that the coup-ers have moved too slow, and it looks like it may have failed, but still too early to say with any certainty. Erdogan's team is playing the foreign media very, very well.
  • Options
    MarcKleinMarcKlein Posts: 36
    just heard that helicopter has been "shot down"
  • Options
    All sides furiously pumping out propaganda.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

[citation needed]
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Govt. a lot more successfully than the other side.
  • Options
    "It will make the EU refugee crisis harder to control and lead to a series of purges and crackdowns and curbs to media freedoms and human rights that could last indefinitely. This is a Nato ally. It is will have far-reaching repercussions."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/15/turkey-low-flying-jets-and-gunfire-heard-in-ankara1/
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

surbiton said:

[citation needed]
    He's watching Al Jazeera, I thought that was clear!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    surbiton said:

As plotters they were fucking useless?
  • Options
    President Obama has urged support for "democratically-elected" Turkish government.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Pulpstar said:

The Govt. a lot more successfully than the other side.
    At least more successfully in reaching the gullible hard left like Surbiton.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

If you have to have a scheme for non directors who aren't in the ssas you directors could just join too pay the phased bare minimums and then carry on with the ssas regardless for main provision. The key though is you are untypical of the swathe of employers now staging and who mainly have shell stakeholders if they had need if anything at all. The tiny firms are ok too as I've defined them and Richard t shows.

Paying in to a scheme rather than opting-out would be absurdly burdensome in terms of the admin required.

Sure, tiny firms with one employee-director are fine. But not tiny firms (of which there are many, especially hi-tech start-ups) with two or three employee-directors. That was my simple point, which Baroness Altman didn't bother to respond to. So good riddance that she's gone.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    This is going to be an hilarious thread to look back on. Proper Comical somebody....
  • Options

President Obama has urged support for "democratically-elected" Turkish government.

US calling it for Erdogan?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Just as a review

TRT is held by the coup organisers
    NTV is a pro Erdogan channel.
  • Options
    RobD said:

US calling it for Erdogan?
    Just posting what is on the Sky live feed, but that is how I read it.
  • Options

Obama calls it for Erdogan while Kerry in Russia stays cool. Obama also supported Morsi in Egypt though, he seems to be a bit of a foreign policy fool.
  • Options
    .@POTUS & @JohnKerry agreed all parties in Turkey should support the democratically-elected Gov't of Turkey, show restraint, avoid violence.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited July 2016
    @taffys

''He's fighting for Erdogan more strongly than I remember him arguing for Labour in 2015, it is quite extraordinary.''

Indeed. Surbiton's posts are quite incredible.'

Surby likes politicians that try to close down democracy, free speech & impose islam a lot in common with his pal Corbyn.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    Will the UK's membership of the EU outlast Turkey's membership of NATO?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Whatever the result of this, the EU's policy with regard to the middle east is a mess of colossal proportions.

Colossal.
  • Options

Will the UK's membership of the EU outlast Turkey's membership of NATO?

They've survived two coups while being in NATO.
This discussion has been closed.