Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Team Corbyn shouldn’t assume that he’ll get “three quidder

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

Corbyn has certainly gone up in my estimation over the past few days.

Has any politician ever been put under so much stress and resisted?

Churchill, 1940
    Sir, you're no Winston Churchill
    TSE good point well made.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Eagles, more accurate than when you call yourself a historian :p
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Churchill, 1940
    TSE = Lord Halifax :lol:
    Mike Smithson = David Lloyd George ?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    dr_spyn said:

Fingers in his ear...la...la...la.

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/748162264771989504

May be just gossip.

Even If Corbyn does step down, I'm pretty sure Falconer won't resign
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

The Scottish economy is completely integrated with the UK economy. Any change in that will cause disruptions approximately 8x what the UK is facing at the moment. Given the facts of history and geography there is no way to avoid that.

The economic arguments are clearly significant. However if the EU referendum taught us anything, apart from the "interesting disturbance in polling accuracy", it is that financial arguments, however solidly based sometimes do not always cut through. "Experts" Hhmmm ....

Wales and Cornwall voted LEAVE despite substantial largesse from the EU. They wanted out and they didn't care. Scotland and the Union may go the same way.

Substantial largess from the EU my ARSE!

The UK as a whole is a net contributor to Brussels coffers!

Remember:

There is no such thing as "EU money"! There is only taxpayers' money!
    If you really believe that I suggest you relocate to somewhere where you can live without any requirement to share your money with the state institutions (council, GLA, UK and EU) with which, by living here, you de facto agree to yield a proportion of your income/wealth in return for the services they provide.

Anyway, there is no such thing as "your money", it comes from your employer (or bank, or deceased relatives, or wherever)... lol
    Employers get profits from people buying their products/using their services, no?
    Yes, so money goes round in a circle, or doesn't, in which case we are all in trouble.

My last point was only 10% serious.

I know that you like your point, but honestly it seems rather trite to me!
    I was actually paraphrasing Maggie :)

"Let us never forget this fundamental truth: the State has no source of money other than money which people earn themselves. If the State wishes to spend more it can do so only by borrowing your savings or by taxing you more. It is no good thinking that someone else will pay – that ‘someone else’ is you. There is no such thing as public money; there is only taxpayers’ money."

- speech to Conference, 14/10/83

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvz8tg4MVpA
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

Anyone here professing interest/knowledge in "passporting", the City, financial services yet seen @Travelgall's post at 2:22 on the previous thread?
    Anyone – @rcs1000, @Richard_Tyndall, @MaxPB, @Richard_Nabavi, @AlastairMeeks, @SeanT @SouthamObserver etc etc ?
    If so what's your opinion? Mine is that @Travelgall has made an excellent case that those fears are hogwash.

He or she makes good points, but it's not a binary choice between the fears being hogwash and the worst fears being 100% certain. No-one is claiming that, even in the worst case, the City is doomed by Brexit (well, actually a senior banker friend of mine did say that). What people are saying is that the City will be severely damaged, especially if financial passporting is not available.
    Travelgall distils into some succinct bullet points a persuasive case that London is still well positioned, with or without the EU and passporting.

I know little about the world of city finance, so it is tempting to defer.

I do however mix with a lot of City bods and it is true that a) most of them are strongly pro-EU and b) most of them genuinely believe that leaving the EU will significantly damage the City's position in world finance.

So now I am left wondering how to square these two seemingly contradictory positions?
    Not contradictory really. We would be damaged badly in a few specific areas, but probably unaffected in most others and may even gain in some. Overall with a strong government stance the City could prosper, though I imagine fully out would see the bank levy go away.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    @Peston: I am told GMB and Unite both about to come out in support of @jeremycorbyn. & they call on Labour MPs to behave as effective opposition
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Robert Peston ‏@Peston 1 min1 minute ago

I am told GMB and Unite both about to come out in support of @jeremycorbyn. & they call on Labour MPs to behave as effective opposition

Ho Ho HOOOOO!!!!!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Pong said:

What does Liam Fox want from May?

I am slightly concerned, personally.

Liam Fox hoped to be in a stronger position right now. He realises he has no chance of making the final ballot and his weak hand is only going to get weaker from now on.

Theresa would be silly to offer anything concrete.

Unless there's some kind of last minute surprise entry (I'm still holding out for Hammond!) it'll be May v Boris, with both teams hoping to face Crabb - rather than each other - when it goes out to the members.
    If Fox is realising that a run is futile, then it rather suggests a number of the other campaigns won't get off the ground too. We could see a new PM in rather short order.

I'm really looking forward to those Boris v May hustings.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602

Historian, classicist, Punmaster-General, polling guru, I'm a modern day polymath
  • Options

Churchill, 1940
    Mike Smithson = David Lloyd George ?
    My dad was an acquaintance of Mikes!!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    RodCrosby said:

Surely if Watson challenges Corbyn, he'd have to resign the Deputy Leadership?

"Honourable thing...", and all that.

Nick? Views?

Don't think so, really, any more than Corbyn ceases to be Labour leader because a vote of no confidence. If you're elected to something, you stay there until you either choose to resign or someone else is elected to replace you - what else you or others may be doing in the meantime doesn't affect it.

But I note that we're back where we were a year ago that the ABC faction can't make up their minds who or what they actually support. If that continues, Corbyn will win - indeed, I don't see why the ABC side would waste our time with the re-run. If they come up someone and they've something to say other than "I am not Corbyn", we'll have a listen.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Just woke up, and Corbyn is still leader. Not sure if I'm dreaming....
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

@Peston: I am told GMB and Unite both about to come out in support of @jeremycorbyn. & they call on Labour MPs to behave as effective opposition

Why? What are they hoping to achieve? A new radical party on the left?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

Churchill, 1940
    Stalin, 1941?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

To Corbyn? They seem to be doing that fine without union help....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

RodCrosby said:

6/21-6/27
    2016 General Election
    Clinton 42% Trump 40%
    Quinnipiac

Trump seems to have steadied the ship significantly.

I wonder if there's an analogy between Hillary's media blitz and the Brexit Project Fear campaign. There's a point where people stop listening.
    If turnout is high, Trump wins. Just like Brexit did. The standard GE voters will show up for Hillary, Trump could get non regular GE voters out.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

RodCrosby said:

Nick? Views?

Don't think so, really, any more than Corbyn ceases to be Labour leader because a vote of no confidence. If you're elected to something, you stay there until you either choose to resign or someone else is elected to replace you - what else you or others may be doing in the meantime doesn't affect it.

But I note that we're back where we were a year ago that the ABC faction can't make up their minds who or what they actually support. If that continues, Corbyn will win - indeed, I don't see why the ABC side would waste our time with the re-run. If they come up someone and they've something to say other than "I am not Corbyn", we'll have a listen.
    What's all this "we"?
  • Options

Labour edge closer to the event horizon....
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Corbyn and Watson visit Polish centre...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    edited June 2016
    Indigo said:

IanB2 said:

More evidence for my view that Boris is the pro-EU candidate and Theresa the anti.
    Probably so, however Theresa 'Nasty Party' May, champion of the Snooper's Charter ? There must be a better option.
    I share your concerns about her - although from my perspective the whole thing is a matter of relative evils.

My point is that, whilst if you go onto ConHome you will see lots of Brexiters banging on about how they must vote for Boris as a "true leaver" with Theresa tainted by her treachery of having (quietly) backed remain, I firmly believe the opposite is the case.

Boris is actually by instinct a remainer (I refer you to a decade of his previous utterings and the views of all his close family), took a chance on backing leave for tactical reasons of self-interest only, thought remain would win, wanted remain to win, probably even tried a little bit to help remain win, and will do his best to secure an outcome as pro-EU as possible, conceding free movement etc.

Theresa is by instinct a leaver, but as home secretary could hardly break with her PM, expected remain to win and wanted to keep her job, and will probably do her best to secure a deal much more to the liking of the leavers, particularly those concerned about free movement.

So it's going to be a very interesting campaign, since very many of the punters are at the moment clearly on the wrong sides!

Remainers like Truss and Soames starting to come out for Boris, and Leavers like Fox toying with May, are clear clues that the parliamentary party at least sees where the land lies. We shall just have to see whether Tory members will be able to work all this out for themselves!

Wouldn't it be amazing if, in the privacy of the polling booth, Boris voted Remain whereas both Corbyn and May voted Leave? I'd say this is quite probably what happened!
  • Options
    phew

Tim Bouverie ‏@TimPBouverie · 5m5 minutes ago

I understand that @LiamFoxMP is now not likely to stand for Tory leadership and will back Theresa May. Key Fox supporters gone to Crabb

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited June 2016

RodCrosby said:

Nick? Views?

If Corbyn wins, progressive politics in this country is dead.

The poor, the vulnerable and the working class are screwed...
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Historian, classicist, Punmaster-General, polling guru, I'm a modern day polymath
    Khan Noonien Singh lives....!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The Blair thing looks like a squirrel of mass destruction.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    I can't resist. It's time for the eternal verities to be reaffirmed. Let's hear from the old crowd favourite, M. Machiavelli:

"We must bear in mind, then, that there is nothing more difficult and dangerous, or more doubtful of success, than an attempt to introduce a new order of things in any state. For the innovator has for enemies all those who derived advantages from the old order of things, whilst those who expect to be benefited by the new institutions will be but lukewarm defenders. This indifference arises in part from fear of their adversaries who were favoured by the existing laws, and partly from the incredulity of men who have no faith in anything new that is not the result of well-established experience. Hence it is that, whenever the opponents of the new order of things have the opportunity to attack it, they will do it with the zeal of partisans, whilst the others defend it but feebly, so that it is dangerous to rely upon the latter.''
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    It really isn't easy to fit a game of cricket in in this country is it?
  • Options
    IMO the only way Jezza steps down is if The Peoples Chanc. has sufficient nominations already in blood to be on the ballot
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Corbyn looking punch-drunk and literally dragged-off by an aide before he can answer questions...
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Honest question. Is the business that is totally reliant on the passport sufficient to get banks seriously thinking of moving the entire shop, or just that part that requires the passport?

On the same lines, could we see a bunch of brass nameplates sprouting in Paris and Frankfurt for businesses nominally based there, though all the work is actually done in London?

Also, how would this affect the Lloyds insurance market? Would EU rules prevent EU companies buying insurance there? If they do, can EU insurance markets fill the gap fast enough? What happens to existing insurance polices EU companies have at Lloyds?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    John_M said:

I can't resist. It's time for the eternal verities to be reaffirmed. Let's hear from the old crowd favourite, M. Machiavelli:

"We must bear in mind, then, that there is nothing more difficult and dangerous, or more doubtful of success, than an attempt to introduce a new order of things in any state. For the innovator has for enemies all those who derived advantages from the old order of things, whilst those who expect to be benefited by the new institutions will be but lukewarm defenders. This indifference arises in part from fear of their adversaries who were favoured by the existing laws, and partly from the incredulity of men who have no faith in anything new that is not the result of well-established experience. Hence it is that, whenever the opponents of the new order of things have the opportunity to attack it, they will do it with the zeal of partisans, whilst the others defend it but feebly, so that it is dangerous to rely upon the latter.''

We over-use the word 'genius', but Machiavelli was a genius. His advice doesn't age.

*edit Sorry for the double post! *
  • Options

phew

I understand that @LiamFoxMP is now not likely to stand for Tory leadership and will back Theresa May. Key Fox supporters gone to Crabb

Whose the net beneficiary? Sounds like Crabb netted more supporters. :(
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,068
    Thinking about Chilcot, Norman Lamb was Charles Kennedy’s PPS in 2003. Might have something to contribute when the debate happens.
  • Options

How humble of you not to mention your AV qualifications :D
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Nick? Views?

100% right.

Put up or shut up time
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    IanB2 said:

Indigo said:

IanB2 said:

More evidence for my view that Boris is the pro-EU candidate and Theresa the anti.
    Probably so, however Theresa 'Nasty Party' May, champion of the Snooper's Charter ? There must be a better option.
    I share your concerns about her - although from my perspective the whole thing is a matter of relative evils.

My point is that, whilst if you go onto ConHome you will see lots of Brexiters banging on about how they must vote for Boris as a "true leaver" with Theresa tainted by her treachery of having (quietly) backed remain, I firmly believe the opposite is the case.

Boris is actually by instinct a remainer (I refer you to a decade of his previous utterings and the views of all his close family), took a chance on backing leave for tactical reasons of self-interest only, thought remain would win, wanted remain to win, probably even tried a little bit to help remain win, and will do his best to secure an outcome as pro-EU as possible, conceding free movement etc.

Theresa is by instinct a leaver, but as home secretary could hardly break with her PM, expected remain to win and wanted to keep her job, and will probably do her best to secure a deal much more to the liking of the leavers, particularly those concerned about free movement.

So it's going to be a very interesting campaign, since very many of the punters are at the moment clearly on the wrong sides!

Remainers like Truss and Soames starting to come out for Boris, and Leavers like Fox toying with May, are clear clues that the parliamentary party at least sees where the land lies. We shall just have to see whether Tory members will be able to work all this out for themselves!
    It may also tie in with the Nixon goes to China theory - Boris can afford to 'betray' leave more than Theresa can afford to been seen ignoring the result - so remainer tories flock to Boris thinking they can get him signed on for EEA lite. Which will drive leavers into May
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    edited June 2016
    DavidL said:

It really isn't easy to fit a game of cricket in in this country is it?

Everything is on hold. Even the humiliation of the English football team by Iceland was brushed over to a great degree. It would have led the news in almost every other time period, for at least a day.

As David Davis said on Daily Politics today "We're currently producing more history than we can consume"
  • Options
    RobD said:

phew

We all are if Fox is off the menu
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Pong said:

Liam Fox hoped to be in a stronger position right now. He realises he has no chance of making the final ballot and his weak hand is only going to get weaker from now on.

Unless there's some kind of last minute surprise entry (I'm still holding out for Hammond!) it'll be May v Boris, with both teams hoping to face Crabb - rather than each other - when it goes out to the members.
    If Fox is realising that a run is futile, then it rather suggests a number of the other campaigns won't get off the ground too. We could see a new PM in rather short order.

It's really not time for an outsider, is it? It's not 2005 again, where we were choosing a future leader to develop the Party, the winner here will be straight in as PM with a lot on her plate.

Better for everyone that we have no more than 3 or 4 candidates, can be whittled down to two in a week and the members can have their say next month. Job done by August.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

RodCrosby said:

Nick? Views?

And surely the Oppostion needs to be holding HMG to account properly in the present circumstances? It is a proper function of Opposition, and rightly so. However, our Opposition is making your average student union look like Roosevelt meeting Churchill in comparison.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I am told GMB and Unite both about to come out in support of @jeremycorbyn. & they call on Labour MPs to behave as effective opposition

Ho Ho HOOOOO!!!!!

Ни шагу назад!

"Not one step back!"
  • Options

RobD said:

phew

We all are if Fox is off the menu
    True enough
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Nick? Views?

Purely from a financial point of view, it would be better if Watson did resign to stand. That would enable the two elections, for leader and deputy leader, to be run concurrently rather than one after the other. Party elections aren't cheap, particularly Labour's with its huge numbers of 'supporters' as well as members. Three ballots in 18 months will be a strain on the finances; one Labour could do without if there's a GE in the offing too.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,357
    have just been asked by colleagues to summarise where we are. My synopsis:

1. None of the big politicians expected a Leave vote. No plans made, no clue about what to do
    2. Tories still dripping blood from the large stab wounds wielded by other Tories. Now about to enter bitter leadership contest with the winner announced in nearly 3 months time - until then noone in charge making decisions
    3. Labour now pouring with blood from the large stab wounds and beheadings* from their MPs and fundamentalist membership (*Pat Glass beheaded herself). Labour leadership may be decided in 3 months until they noone in charge
    4. The Europeans scratching their heads asking what the fuck is it with you people (cf Dutch PM's comments earlier) - the longer that nothing goes on from the noone in charge the worse things will get

Have I missed anything out?
  • Options
    welshowl said:

murali_s said:

RodCrosby said:

Nick? Views?

And surely the Oppostion needs to be holding HMG to account properly in the present circumstances? It is a proper function of Opposition, and rightly so. However, our Opposition is making your average student union look like Roosevelt meeting Churchill in comparison.
    Well, we don't really have a government, so it's probably OK not to have an opposition. It's not as if the Queen's Speech contained anything particularly interesting.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

I can understand Dave falling on his sword, as the referendum was his baby, thus triggering the Tory Party contest.

But why is there carnage in the Labour Party less than a week after the result?

Labour MPs have wanted to get rid of Corbyn ever since he was elected by Labour membership. They are just using Brexit as an excuse.

Poor judgemnet by the rebels who don't have a candidate that can beat Corbyn in a membership election so trying to by-pass democracy.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Have they really managed a major but still botched coup, leaving the vast bulk of Labour MPs in a position of having registered no confidence in their leader?
  • Options
    RobD said:

It dawned on me, I've never been on the winning side of a nationwide referendum #PersecutedMinority
  • Options

Guido Fawkes Retweeted
    John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul · 1m1 minute ago
    Also hearing that McDonnell has told Corbyn he wdn't automatically be on the ballot paper, so he, McDonnell, should be the left candidate.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/john-mcdonnell-labour-leader-jeremy-corbyn-shadow-cabinet-brexit-eu-referendum-hilary-benn-heidi-a7103981.html

• Options

Pong said:

Surely it'll take just as long with 2 as with, say, 6? All that'll happen is that the members will get slightly longer to choose. The result will still be announced in early September.
  • Options

Have they really managed a major but still botched coup, leaving the vast bulk of Labour MPs in a position of having registered no confidence in their leader?

I hope they're deselected. The lot of them.
  • Options
    John_M said:

welshowl said:

murali_s said:

RodCrosby said:

Nick? Views?

Well, we don't really have a government, so it's probably OK not to have an opposition. It's not as if the Queen's Speech contained anything particularly interesting.
    Just as well. There's space for all the "stuff" that will need discussing.
  • Options

Labour edge closer to the event horizon....
    Event Horizon?

"Libera te tutemet ex inferis!"
  • Options
    Dan Hodges says the Corbyn Camp is split .

Is it 2-1 or 1-2 ?

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Yes, and he needs to fill his shadow cabinet with a bunch of these traitors.
  • Options

I can understand Dave falling on his sword, as the referendum was his baby, thus triggering the Tory Party contest.

Labour MPs have wanted to get rid of Corbyn ever since he was elected by Labour membership. They are just using Brexit as an excuse.

Poor judgemnet by the rebels who don't have a candidate that can beat Corbyn in a membership election so trying to by-pass democracy.
    The Rebel Alliance are about to be shown the awesome power of the Death Star....

(Oh and guys - they've put some chicken wire over those air vents this time.)
  • Options

1. None of the big politicians expected a Leave vote. No plans made, no clue about what to do
    2. Tories still dripping blood from the large stab wounds wielded by other Tories. Now about to enter bitter leadership contest with the winner announced in nearly 3 months time - until then noone in charge making decisions
    3. Labour now pouring with blood from the large stab wounds and beheadings* from their MPs and fundamentalist membership (*Pat Glass beheaded herself). Labour leadership may be decided in 3 months until they noone in charge
    4. The Europeans scratching their heads asking what the fuck is it with you people (cf Dutch PM's comments earlier) - the longer that nothing goes on from the noone in charge the worse things will get

Charlie Falconer's untenable position
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    murali_s said:

RodCrosby said:

Nick? Views?

Ha, ha - as if Nick cares :-D

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

I hope they're deselected. The lot of them.
    Can we get individual CLP markets. Who will be the first to go?
  • Options

raconteur, pop gru, political pundit, film critic, waitrose shopper of the year and all round good egg.

Nearly as impressive as Jezza
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited June 2016

Churchill, 1940
    Stalin, 1941?
    How many motions of no confidence did Churchill win? I know he won two in 1942.

Stalin didn't cope very well with stress when Germany invaded in 1941. He disappeared for a few days and resigned, and was then prevailed upon to un-resign.

Corbyn is bearing up well - credit where it's due.

Ho Ho HOOOOO!!!!!

Ни шагу назад!

"Not one step back!"
    Lol! Два шага вперед, один шаг назад doesn't seem to be an option!
  • Options

Guido Fawkes Retweeted
    John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul · 1m1 minute ago
    Also hearing that McDonnell has told Corbyn he wdn't automatically be on the ballot paper, so he, McDonnell, should be the left candidate.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/john-mcdonnell-labour-leader-jeremy-corbyn-shadow-cabinet-brexit-eu-referendum-hilary-benn-heidi-a7103981.html

Et tu Brute!?
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Fingers in his ear...la...la...la.

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/748162264771989504

May be just gossip.

Even If Corbyn does step down, I'm pretty sure Falconer won't resign
    Or Andy Burnham. Ever.
  • Options

Your point #4 is a bit too simplistic. There are at least three European blocs at the moment. Sample positions for each:

- "GTFO Rosbifs, don't let the door bang you on the arse on your way out"
    - "OMG wt-OK, let's at least sort the trade deal out"
    - "Please don't go! You're abandoning us to the tender mercies of the Frogs and Russkis".
  • Options

The Rebel Alliance are about to be shown the awesome power of the Death Star....

(Oh and guys - they've put some chicken wire over those air vents this time.)
    "Ejaculate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!"
    - Peter Cushing as Tarkin in "Star Wars", 1977
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    Here's how in denial Labour are right now.

Kevin McGuire just suggested that most of the entryists the Labour Party are currently getting are ANTI-Corbynites.

Just lol.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

Churchill, 1940
    Stalin, 1941?

Stalin didn't cope very well with stress when Germany invaded in 1941. He disappeared for a few days and resigned, and was then prevailed upon to un-resign.
    bloody splitter that stalin.

• Options
    John_N4 said:

Churchill, 1940
    Stalin, 1941?

He pulled a Farage?? :o
  • Options
    Mr. M, Machiavelli's a clever chap.

Mr. Eagles, you silly sausage.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Pulpstar said:

If turnout is high, Trump wins. Just like Brexit did. The standard GE voters will show up for Hillary, Trump could get non regular GE voters out.

You mean hispanics in swing states ? .. :smile:

• Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

Question. Who gets custody of the "Labour" name? The Progress wing or the Momentum wing?

Divorce is now inevitable - just a question of when.

It stays with the Corbyn side. Not that it matters. Labour is now finished as a serious political party.

But where do the voters go?

All the parties in the UK seem damaged goods apart from probably the SNP.

Britain seems absolutely ripe right now for a new political force to emerge. Could that be "the Boris Party" if that's what the Tory Party plumps for as leader in September. Or something else?

FWIW, I'm backing Boris for Leader. Sympathies with May, but she's just not box office, and the Tories frankly need to engage bigger and wider to retain power. Boris proved in London he can do that, twice over, and I think he'll also engage with folk who have basically zero interest in politics and don't bother voting. Whether he'll be any good is another matter, but it's all about winning power first and foremost...
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

Sounds about right.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2016

Surely it'll take just as long with 2 as with, say, 6? All that'll happen is that the members will get slightly longer to choose. The result will still be announced in early September.

Not sure, the original 1922 committee statement seemed to imply it could be quicker if there were fewer candidates and therefore fewer MP rounds.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    DanSmith said:

RodCrosby said:

Nick? Views?

What's all this "we"?

The Labour members, who would prefer a Tory government to a Labour party "led" by anyone but Jeremy Corbyn.

Labour is now finished. later this year or early next, the Tories will win the biggest majority that any party has won since the war and will then dump on millions of ordinary people from a very great height.

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited June 2016
    Wanderer said:

JackW said:

DavidL said:

The Scottish economy is completely integrated with the UK economy. Any change in that will cause disruptions approximately 8x what the UK is facing at the moment. Given the facts of history and geography there is no way to avoid that.

The economic arguments are clearly significant. However if the EU referendum taught us anything, apart from the "interesting disturbance in polling accuracy", it is that financial arguments, however solidly based sometimes do not always cut through. "Experts" Hhmmm ....

Wales and Cornwall voted LEAVE despite substantial largesse from the EU. They wanted out and they didn't care. Scotland and the Union may go the same way.

I'm not sure who would make the No case anyway. The Scottish Conservatives and.... anyone?
    If the Scot Tories are the only main party leading the fight for the union to stay and No still wins they could see another surge. Enough to challenge the SNP for government?
  • Options

Pong said:

I'm really not sure that is tenable. Just get it over and done with, guys...
  • Options
    A group of Labour MPs have just taken part in a secret ballot for the leadership. They are all perfect logicians -- if a conclusion can be logically deduced, they will do it instantly. No one knows how they voted.

Can the CLP find the traitors ?
  • Options
    Bloody Swiss - can't trust them

Jamie McGeever Verified account 
    @ReutersJamie
    Credit Suisse predicts UK recession with GDP -1.0% next year, Bank of England to slash rates to 0.05% and do £75 billion more QE.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2016

Pong said:

Remanian Boris vs Brexit May?
  • Options

@ReutersJamie
    Credit Suisse predicts UK recession with GDP -1.0% next year, Bank of England to slash rates to 0.05% and do £75 billion more QE.

Ooh good means my mortgage will go down a bit.
  • Options

RobD said:

It dawned on me, I've never been on the winning side of a nationwide referendum #PersecutedMinority
    #Muppet
  • Options
    RobD said:

John_N4 said:

Churchill, 1940
    Stalin, 1941?

Jeremy isn't a quitter, unlike Nige.
  • Options

John_N4 said:

Churchill, 1940
    Stalin, 1941?

bloody splitter that stalin.

Stalin ordered the execution of the first few folk to report the opening of Operation Barbarossa. This is where we get the phrase "don't shoot the messenger" ;).
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Dan Hodges says the Corbyn Camp is split .

Is it 2-1 or 1-2 ?

DH will definitely be in Corbyns inner circle
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    welshowl said:

John_M said:

Lowlander said:

So, would an "independent" Scotland within the EU be a net contributor, or a net recipient of taxpayers' EU money?

*innocent face*

Apparently, Scotland would be the poorest country in Europe the World but still be paying the highest per capita contribution to the EU budget.

Unionism is rarely consistent.
    Looking at the stats, Scotland would slot in nicely between Croatia and Slovakia in terms of population and somewhere like 8th in terms of GDP per capita.

4) What exactly would Scotland be joining/staying in? The EU status quo seems unlikely.

a) It might splinter a bit. (Greece? Sweden/Denmark?)
    b) It might implode (not much fun getting in a lifeboat with a great big hole in it)
    c) It might be a proper United States of Europe. But in that case Scots may wish (or they may not - it's their view to hold not mine) to reflect that they would be swapping being an internally self governing (to quite an extent) province of a country they make up 8% of to being a province in a newly minted multi national (but heavily German influenced) entity which they would make up about 1.1% of, which is about the weight Leeds has in the UK.

Not saying they can't do it, before I'm leapt upon, but food for thought.
    Scotland could have more power to exercise from Edinburgh under a Brexited UK than it would as an independent nation in the EU!
  • Options

@ReutersJamie

Great for the new PM and CoTE - expectations low, a tax cutting budget should get things moving again.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Pulpstar said:

A group of Labour MPs have just taken part in a secret ballot for the leadership. They are all perfect logicians -- if a conclusion can be logically deduced, they will do it instantly. No one knows how they voted.

Can the CLP find the traitors ?

Three logicians walk into a bar.

"Can I get you fine gentlemen all a drink?" asks the barman.

"I don't know" says the first
    "I don't know" says the second

What does the third one say?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

John_N4 said:

Churchill, 1940
    Stalin, 1941?

Jeremy isn't a quitter, unlike Nige.
    Was talking about Stalin ;)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited June 2016
    Parliament next Wednesday is going to be awfully fun to watch!

At what point will the Speaker step in, as each Member gets more and more accusatory towards the former PM and his communications director?

*king sized popcorn ordered*
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207

Pong said:

I'm really not sure that is tenable. Just get it over and done with, guys...
    Damn right, I want my winnings from Cameron to go in 2016!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Churchill, 1940
    Avast and belay, Cap'n Doc! That is so naughty at so many levels.
  • Options
    phew again - it's ok to back crabb.. toxic tim isn't behind him

Tim Montgomerie ن ‏@montie · 3m3 minutes ago
    Tim Montgomerie ن Retweeted Tim Montgomerie ن
    Just to clarify - my earlier Tweet (https://twitter.com/montie/status/748097431200477186 …) was an endorsement of the man, not of his leadership bid. I'm backing Boris.

• Options
    Corbyn is just like the IRA, their mantra is No Surrender
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

RobD said:

#Muppet
    TSE is Eddie Izzard!
  • Options

welshowl said:

John_M said:

Lowlander said:

So, would an "independent" Scotland within the EU be a net contributor, or a net recipient of taxpayers' EU money?

*innocent face*

Apparently, Scotland would be the poorest country in Europe the World but still be paying the highest per capita contribution to the EU budget.

Unionism is rarely consistent.
    Looking at the stats, Scotland would slot in nicely between Croatia and Slovakia in terms of population and somewhere like 8th in terms of GDP per capita.

4) What exactly would Scotland be joining/staying in? The EU status quo seems unlikely.

a) It might splinter a bit. (Greece? Sweden/Denmark?)
    b) It might implode (not much fun getting in a lifeboat with a great big hole in it)
    c) It might be a proper United States of Europe. But in that case Scots may wish (or they may not - it's their view to hold not mine) to reflect that they would be swapping being an internally self governing (to quite an extent) province of a country they make up 8% of to being a province in a newly minted multi national (but heavily German influenced) entity which they would make up about 1.1% of, which is about the weight Leeds has in the UK.

Not saying they can't do it, before I'm leapt upon, but food for thought.
    Scotland could have more power to exercise from Edinburgh under a Brexited UK than it would as an independent nation in the EU!
    Yes. Very true depending on levels of devolution in the UK and integration in a USE.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, you are Eddie Izzard. :p
  • Options
    edited June 2016

4. We went for a renegotiation. The Europeans told us to "fuck off". Cameron was too polite to take offence. The voters were not. They told the EU to "fuck off yerselves". We are now taking it to the car park, with Frau Merkel shouting "leave it, Jean-Claude, they're not worth it..."
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Parliament next Wednesday is going to be awfully fun to watch!

At what point will the Speaker step in, as each Member gets more and more accusatory towards the former PM and his communications director?

*king sized popcorn ordered*

Springtime for Corbyn, winter for Blairites :) ?
  • Options
    Interesting from Jon Craig

Some Labour MPs believe Corbyn clinging on to respond to Chilcot next week, apologise on behalf of Lab & call for Blair war crimes trial.
  • Options

Question. Who gets custody of the "Labour" name? The Progress wing or the Momentum wing?

Divorce is now inevitable - just a question of when.

It stays with the Corbyn side. Not that it matters. Labour is now finished as a serious political party.

But where do the voters go?

All the parties in the UK seem damaged goods apart from probably the SNP.

Britain seems absolutely ripe right now for a new political force to emerge. Could that be "the Boris Party" if that's what the Tory Party plumps for as leader in September. Or something else?

FWIW, I'm backing Boris for Leader. Sympathies with May, but she's just not box office, and the Tories frankly need to engage bigger and wider to retain power. Boris proved in London he can do that, twice over, and I think he'll also engage with folk who have basically zero interest in politics and don't bother voting. Whether he'll be any good is another matter, but it's all about winning power first and foremost...
    Boris National Party

the letters arent taken are they
This discussion has been closed.