Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The economics of discontent

SystemSystem Posts: 11,701
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The economics of discontent

Where did it all go right?  The bare statistics are breathtaking.  Even looking in percentage terms, employment rates are at all time highs, unemployment rates are at 10 year lows and the economic inactivity rate is also at a joint all time low (tying with 1990).  Job vacancies are hovering just below their all time highs.  Most of the economically inactive are students, stay-at-home mums or the ret…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,414
    Sunil says.... keep calm and Vote LEAVE :)
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edited June 2016
    Second. I note, for what it is worth, that the latest figures date from the time of the Coalition Government. Has the level of salisfaction got better or worse since then?

The Lib Dems did make a serious difference in achieving a more nearly equal level of income across the population. But since then...?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    PClipp said:

The Lib Dems did make a serious difference in achieving a more nearly equal level of income across the population. But since then...?

With David Clegg and George Clegg in the driving seat it's difficult to notice what changed.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Does Mr Meeks have any evidence to suggest that Leave voters are angry about the EU or anything else for that matter?

I will be voting to Leave the EU - but it's not something that makes me angry. As a 29 year old living at home with my parents, what makes me angry is having had interest rates of 0.5% for 7 years combined with a Chancellor intent on pumping up a housing bubble. Furthermore, I despair that seven years after the last recession, our Chancellor is running a budget a deficit of £76bn and doesn't appear to have the appetite for doing anything about it.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Indigo said:

PClipp said:

With David Clegg and George Clegg in the driving seat it's difficult to notice what changed.
    How about, for a start, the centralisation of power, the castration of local government and the savage cutting of services at the local level?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Does Mr Meeks have any evidence to suggest that Leave voters are angry about the EU or anything else for that matter?

Meeks is angry because those nasty fellow travellers of the unmentionable kippers are in with a chance, he is displacing that onto the Leave camp ;)
    PClipp said:

Indigo said:

PClipp said:

How about, for a start, the centralisation of power, the castration of local government and the savage cutting of services at the local level?
    The alternative being what ? Continuing to borrow even more money than the ridiculous amount we are borrowing at the moment. The UK is continuing to borrow every year 26 times more than the complete annual government spending of the country of 100m people in which I am living.

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Our macroeconomic performance may be just about respectable at the moment, but there is no doubt that it would be much stronger had the EU not completely messed up by creating the Euro - perhaps the biggest economic mistake ever made. We are outside the euro, though the EU clearly wanted us in, as did almost every Europhile politician in Britain. It would also be rather better if we didn't have to fork many billions each year in EU contributions.

Also, rising real incomes have little meaning when housing is unafforable across much of the south of England. That is a direct consequence of immigration, much of which comes from the EU, combined with inflexbility of supply. If we had an inflation index that included property costs effectively, I doubt anybody would be talking about living standards rising.

So, yes, it's unsurprising that people are annoyed, and that they hold the EU partly or largely responsible for that.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    Indigo said:

tlg86 said:

Meeks is angry because those nasty fellow travellers of the unmentionable kippers are in with a chance, he is displacing that onto the Leave camp ;)
    PClipp said:

Indigo said:

PClipp said:

The alternative being what ? Continuing to borrow even more money than the ridiculous amount we are borrowing at the moment. The UK is continuing to borrow every year 26 times more than the complete annual government spending of the country of 100m people in which I am living.

Ah! The answer! People are angry because they're ignorant - about economics, anyway. And also demography. Spit it out, Indigo - what you really want is a referendum to decriminalise killing lefties, isn't it?

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,932
    FPT, it does like the shift to Leave over past 10 days or so was genuine then, given that on a like for like basis, Opinium put Leave at 3% ahead.

Opinium 4% Remain lead to -3%.
    Yougov 4% Remain lead to two ties.
    ICM online Tie to 4% Leave lead
    ICM phone 10% Remain lead to -4%.
    ORB 13% Remain lead to 5%.
  • Options

Indigo said:

tlg86 said:

PClipp said:

Indigo said:

PClipp said:

Ah! The answer! People are angry because they're ignorant - about economics, anyway. And also demography. Spit it out, Indigo - what you really want is a referendum to decriminalise killing lefties, isn't it?

I think we should consider a referendum on outlawing whatever it is you smoke before you start posting this sort of claptrap ;)
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

tlg86 said:

PClipp said:

Indigo said:

PClipp said:

I think we should consider a referendum on outlawing whatever it is you smoke before you start posting this sort of claptrap ;)
    I notice you don't deny what I suggested. I only bother to come here to remind myself that the electorate has its full share of overgrown three-year-olds.

• Options
    edited June 2016

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

tlg86 said:

PClipp said:

Indigo said:

PClipp said:

I notice you don't deny what I suggested. I only bother to come here to remind myself that the electorate has its full share of overgrown three-year-olds.

I know its hard for those on the left to understand, but unlike you, we on the right don't believe our opponents to be wicked, evil, spiteful, malevolent or even bad, just wrong. If we supported killing everyone that was wrong, the world would be a pretty empty place.

I would suggest that it's people that think all their opponents deep down want to kill them that are not only behaving like a three year old, but a particularly paranoid three year old at that. Please stop this tedious drivel.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited June 2016
    Out of control immigration and out of control government borrowing. " Where did it all go right ? ", my arse.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    I know the Government has had ample scope for burying bad news in the last six months, but they must be cursing that Ali snuffed it during purdah.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

tlg86 said:

PClipp said:

Indigo said:

PClipp said:

I know its hard for those on the left to understand, but unlike you, we on the right don't believe our opponents to be wicked, evil, spiteful, malevolent or even bad, just wrong. If we supported killing everyone that was wrong, the world would be a pretty empty place.

I would suggest that it's people that think all their opponents deep down want to kill them that are not only behaving like a three year old, but a particularly paranoid three year old at that. Please stop this tedious drivel.
    And just who gave you the right to speak for everyone "on the right"?

As for "tedious drivel" - well, you would know all about that.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    What's the opposite of gilding the lily?

The economic argument for Remain had traction, but no, that wasn't enough. Dave and George had to come out with £4,300 and World War Three. The ensuing mockery discredited much of what the "experts" had said earlier.

Would you trust anyone who predicts 15 years ahead, when they cannot reliably predict 15 months ahead? Would you trust anyone who predicts World War Three if Herr Juncker is no longer in charge?

Leave are free to say what they want now - it can't be dafter than that.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    CD13 said:

Turding the punch bowl?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tlg86 said:

I will be voting to Leave the EU - but it's not something that makes me angry. As a 29 year old living at home with my parents, what makes me angry is having had interest rates of 0.5% for 7 years combined with a Chancellor intent on pumping up a housing bubble. Furthermore, I despair that seven years after the last recession, our Chancellor is running a budget a deficit of £76bn and doesn't appear to have the appetite for doing anything about it.

The high cost of housing maps very poorly to support for Leave, or of UKIP. Indeed it seems to be the converse. London is a bastion of Remain, but areas that support Leave are some of the cheapest places to buy a house in the UK, even as a percentage of income such as the NE, Humberside, Welsh Valleys etc. The areas that do best on the map in the header are those where house prices have gone up, reflecting the proportion of this as a household asset.

Similarly the generation gap has the young most squeezed by housing costs for Remain, the older home owners who have done well out of housing for Leave.

Those who have felt the pain of austerity (both in lost services and in lost jobs working for councils, etc) are those who are most likely to be Leavers. The areas and demographics for Leave are those with the highest rates of public sector employment. Mr Meeks is right about the relationship between austerity and Brexit support.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,363
    It's an interesting article. FWIW I don't think most people are, in fact, exactly angry. Most people, as the figures show, think that life is on the whole OK and they're getting by.

What they feel is unrepresented. Their perception - we can argue about whether it's justified - is that the Government is seen as almost dysfunctional, steadily eroding the welfare state without actually solving the problems of the economy, while the opposition is seen as preoccupied with left-wing mantras mainly of interest to middle-class intellectuals. And the EU is seen as part of the syndrome - obscure decision-making processes and mainly looking at remote issues to Britain like the Euro and the problems of Greece and migration in Germany. The perception that we've lost control of migration and it's partly the fault of the EU reinforces that.

So lots of people are contemplating Leave because they see it as a step in the right direction - "our politicians may still be crap but at least they could do stuff if they wanted to". I don't think people are furious, by and large, or that they nourish great hopes either way. But they don't feel politics really works, and they think that maybe if we withdrew it would work a bit better.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

tlg86 said:

PClipp said:

Indigo said:

PClipp said:

You're not on the right.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Our economy is a sham, £1.5 trillion in debt, £70bn+ deficit, an utterly unsustainable public sector pension scenario. People probably feel well off because the local estate agent has told them their house is worth £4 squillion.

This will end in tears as soon as interest rates rise, I'm interested to see who will be at the helm when we hit the iceberg.
  • Options

It's an interesting article. FWIW I don't think most people are, in fact, exactly angry. Most people, as the figures show, think that life is on the whole OK and they're getting by.

What they feel is unrepresented. Their perception - we can argue about whether it's justified - is that the Government is seen as almost dysfunctional, steadily eroding the welfare state without actually solving the problems of the economy, while the opposition is seen as preoccupied with left-wing mantras mainly of interest to middle-class intellectuals. And the EU is seen as part of the syndrome - obscure decision-making processes and mainly looking at remote issues to Britain like the Euro and the problems of Greece and migration in Germany. The perception that we've lost control of migration and it's partly the fault of the EU reinforces that.

So lots of people are contemplating Leave because they see it as a step in the right direction - "our politicians may still be crap but at least they could do stuff if they wanted to". I don't think people are furious, by and large, or that they nourish great hopes either way. But they don't feel politics really works, and they think that maybe if we withdrew it would work a bit better.

Agreed.
    Leave would be a move towards the Swiss model that you so admire.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    How is the "not racist" Leave campaign going then?

@BethRigby: Extraordinary by @Nigel_Farage: Women face rape by migrants if we stay in fear. Sorry, whose peddling project fear? https://t.co/mP7DJqPlx1
  • Options
    If we want honesty and openness, so be it. Johnson and Gove know their policy of pulling up the immigration drawbridge will serve no purpose other than their own. Providing the keys to Downing Street in the case of Boris Johnson – and the key to rescuing a faltering campaign in the case of Michael Gove.

When the Treasury released figures showing Brexit would cost each family £4,300, Arron Banks, the head of the maverick Leave.EU, described it as 'an absolute bargain'. The leaders of the official Leave campaign know full well the price of Fortress Britain. Fewer houses built. Fewer of our children getting a high-quality university education. Poorer health care. Lower pay. The loss of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of jobs.

But they, too, feel it is a price worth paying. We are at last having the open and honest immigration debate people have been crying out for. The least they can do is admit it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3625733/DAN-HODGES-Pay-cuts-job-losses-cripples-NHS-s-really-gained-Fortress-Britain.html
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

I think that's right, and I think there's another thing worth mentioning: politicians have a tendency to use the EU to justify difficult decisions. How much easier to blame the EU for why you haven't cut VAT on electricity and heating oil, rather than admitting that the sums don't add up.

Leaving the EU forces our politicians to take responsibility.
  • Options
    Dr P,

I agree with your sentiments, and they were very well put. It's irritation at incompetence and a "We always know best" attitude when that is clearly wrong.

The real "angrys" are in a small minority, but "We take you for fools" isn't a good manifesto.
  • Options

I agree with Nick. Also Mr Meeks is in the top 5% of income which is also doing very well, but he keeps tuning into the "terrible austerity" alleged by the Guardian and broadcast media. The oldest group are the most Brexit yet in the article's graph they are the most happy with income.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I think that's right, and I think there's another thing worth mentioning: politicians have a tendency to use the EU to justify difficult decisions. How much easier to blame the EU for why you haven't cut VAT on electricity and heating oil, rather than admitting that the sums don't add up.

This.

It has been too easy for parliament to point at Brussels and shrug apologetically. I want them to be accountable, the buck should stop at Westminster, it has nothing to do with immigration, the economy or anything else.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    The quality of analysis in the thread headers on PB really impresses and I am particularly grateful to Alastair for this particular effort but having said that I have to suggest that he has got this completely the wrong way around.

Alastair's approach is that approximately 50% of people are thinking of voting Leave. That is, in his view, irrational so he is looking for explanations of for their irrational behaviour. The most obvious explanation is that they are angry and angry people are inclined to give the government a kicking when they can. So he approaches the statistical material looking for ways to explain that anger.

In fact average real incomes have continued to grow strongly since 2015 and now exceed the 2007 peak in real terms. That is nothing to boast about, basically we are on average back to where we were 7 years ago which is an exceptionally long period of static incomes, unprecedented in modern times. It is also the fact that the average hides differences with those on higher incomes generally doing better than those in the low middle. Those at the bottom have been helped by minimum wage increases. There is some potential for irritation on the part of the squeezed middle as Ed used to call it even though his idea of middle started somewhere about the top third decile.

But look at the counter evidence. We have polling showing this government, despite tearing itself in public, continues to lead in the polls. It had a respectable, if not exciting (outside Scotland) results in a wide series of local elections just a month ago. The proportion of people doing alright on the figures have increased by 2015 and have probably increased since then. The government was re-elected with a majority only a year ago.

I would put forward a counter-hypothesis. If the majority were currently struggling to cope the gloom and doom being broadcast by Remain would have greater traction. Those on the edge are risk adverse and those that are not are more willing to take a chance or not focus so closely on the economics of the argument. People are not angry or wanting to kick a government. They are moving up their scale of needs and thinking our country could be even better than this. If I am right Remain have a problem.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It has been too easy for parliament to point at Brussels and shrug apologetically. I want them to be accountable, the buck should stop at Westminster, it has nothing to do with immigration, the economy or anything else.
    Rcs1000 = Leaving the EU forces our politicians to take responsibility.

Also leaving the EU forces our civil servants to stop using the EU to bring in laws and regulations duping our politicians ability to block , amend or say no. This is why the Civil Service is fighting so hard to stay in.<
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,419
    Politicians love talking about income. Whereas the issue is wealth. People know that the super-rich (top 1%, call them what you will) have not only escaped from the impact of austerity but actually done very nicely from asset price accumulation these past five years (and aren't paying their tax, hiding money offshore, etc. etc.). Property ownership has gone into reverse and people see houses rising beyond their reach and being accumulated by a minority, some of whom actually think living off the income from three or four houses is a worthwhile job...Meanwhile politicians are impotent to change anything and certainly won't go near infringing the privileges of the rich and powerful.

It's this that underlies the Trump/Sanders/Corbyn discontent, not whether unemployment or income levels are up or down.

Meanwhile on immigration it is striking that Leave are getting away with creating the impression that Brexit would actually make any significant difference.....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The quality of analysis in the thread headers on PB really impresses and I am particularly grateful to Alastair for this particular effort but having said that I have to suggest that he has got this completely the wrong way around.

Alastair's approach is that approximately 50% of people are thinking of voting Leave. That is, in his view, irrational so he is looking for explanations of for their irrational behaviour. The most obvious explanation is that they are angry and angry people are inclined to give the government a kicking when they can. So he approaches the statistical material looking for ways to explain that anger.

In fact average real incomes have continued to grow strongly since 2015 and now exceed the 2007 peak in real terms. That is nothing to boast about, basically we are on average back to where we were 7 years ago which is an exceptionally long period of static incomes, unprecedented in modern times. It is also the fact that the average hides differences with those on higher incomes generally doing better than those in the low middle. Those at the bottom have been helped by minimum wage increases. There is some potential for irritation on the part of the squeezed middle as Ed used to call it even though his idea of middle started somewhere about the top third decile.

But look at the counter evidence. We have polling showing this government, despite tearing itself in public, continues to lead in the polls. It had a respectable, if not exciting (outside Scotland) results in a wide series of local elections just a month ago. The proportion of people doing alright on the figures have increased by 2015 and have probably increased since then. The government was re-elected with a majority only a year ago.

I would put forward a counter-hypothesis. If the majority were currently struggling to cope the gloom and doom being broadcast by Remain would have greater traction. Those on the edge are risk adverse and those that are not are more willing to take a chance or not focus so closely on the economics of the argument. People are not angry or wanting to kick a government. They are moving up their scale of needs and thinking our country could be even better than this. If I am right Remain have a problem.

You point out that Meeks believes Leave to be "irrational". He is clearly well paid, lives well and is surrounded by other well paid people, good for him, he deserves nothing but admiration in that respect. But therein lies the rub, in thread after thread, post after post, he simply cannot comprehend Leave's stance, doesn't understand WHY not everybody is as blissfully content as him with the status quo. And nor can Cameron, he is shaking his head in bewilderment at the polls.

It's not a good look.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

CD13 said:

Turding the punch bowl?
    Horrific
  • Options

DavidL said:

You point out that Meeks believes Leave to be "irrational". He is clearly well paid, lives well and is surrounded by other well paid people, good for him, he deserves nothing but admiration in that respect. But therein lies the rub, in thread after thread, post after post, he simply cannot comprehend Leave's stance, doesn't understand WHY not everybody is as blissfully content as him with the status quo. And nor can Cameron, he is shaking his head in bewilderment at the polls.

It's not a good look.
    The same can be said for Nabavi and TSE.
  • Options
    Oh the perils of putting in your tuppence worth before you read the thread. My thought is not so original after all. Apologies for its length in light of that.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    DavidL said:

THIS.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Just been thinking about Dave and his re-negotiation.. Europe gave Dave sweet feck all and Dave had to dress it up as a deal worth voting for. If we end up leaving it wont be Dave's fault, though he will carry the can for it. Frankly, out is looking more appealing by the minute but at the moment I still think in is better for the UK and will vote accordingly
  • Options
    Mr P (or Scott is you prefer),.

Economics is not a science. Economic forecasting is not scientific. Pretending otherwise is childish. Basic honesty would require an error bar between - infinity and + infinity.

In 14 years, your family will be £4,300 worse off.

If a seven-year-old said that, we would smile indulgently.

Leave can talk nonsense now and say "Well, you started it."
  • Options

DavidL said:

It's not a good look.
    It is the old "let them eat cake" syndrome. Out of touch with what the majority of people have as a life.
  • Options

I agree with Nick. Also Mr Meeks is in the top 5% of income which is also doing very well, but he keeps tuning into the "terrible austerity" alleged by the Guardian and broadcast media. The oldest group are the most Brexit yet in the article's graph they are the most happy with income.
    How much do you have to earn to be in the top 5% ?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,363
    rcs1000 said:

I agree, up to a point. The problem is that virtually every serious politician is saying that withdrawal will make the position more difficult. We don't have any who say convincingly that if only we were freed from the need for EU consensus we would be able to follow policy platform X and that would make our situation much better. Not Tories. Not Labour. Not LibDem. Not SNP. Nobody. UKIP say we'd be free, and then, uh, we'd work it out. EEA? Glorious separation? Let's get free first and then we'll talk about that.

So what we are in danger of doing is withdrawing because people feel the parties are all a bit crap, and moving to a situation where the virtually unanimous view of the people responsible is that they'll necessarily become more crap.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FPT, it does like the shift to Leave over past 10 days or so was genuine then, given that on a like for like basis, Opinium put Leave at 3% ahead.
    Opinium 4% Remain lead to -3%.
    Yougov 4% Remain lead to two ties.
    ICM online Tie to 4% Leave lead
    ICM phone 10% Remain lead to -4%.
    ORB 13% Remain lead to 5%.

The trend is LEAVE's friend.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/how-much-you-need-earn-9997092

More likely he is in the top 1%
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Economics is not a science. Economic forecasting is not scientific. Pretending otherwise is childish. Basic honesty would require an error bar between - infinity and + infinity.

I love the idea that HMT can forecast to within £100 what we'll experience 15yrs hence.

The TUC has gone two decimal places better - we'll be £38pw worse off.

With that talent, they really should be working in the City.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/how-much-you-need-earn-9997092

Thanks, that's a lot of turnips Malc...!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

I love the idea that HMT can forecast to within £100 what we'll experience 15yrs hence.

Yet leavers take population forecasts by the government as gospel!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,419
    Maybe these are just the handful of poll results that make it interesting and push people back to remain - as happened for fear of Miliband/Salmond in the GE and for Stay in Scotland....
  • Options
    Almost six in ten Party members blame Cameron and Osborne most for Tory EU referendum divisions.
    This number has increased in a month.
    Osborne really has no chance for the Leadership now.
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2016/06/almost-six-in-ten-party-members-blame-cameron-and-osborne-most-for-tory-eu-referendum-divisions.html
  • Options
    edited June 2016

malcolmg said:

Thanks, that's a lot of turnips Malc...!
    A few more than I get for sure.
    Good bit easier to be rich in Wales based on those numbers.

Some Scottish data
    Those earning over £86,000 in 2010/11 were in the top 1% of the adult population in terms of income. Those earning over £70,000 were in the top 2%.

The top 1% of income taxpayers were those earning over £108,000 from their jobs. The top 2% of income taxpayers earned over £79,000.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Exactly the same applies for Scotland. People are starting to look at the SNP record of delivery and say that they can't keep blaming Westminster constraints for their failure to deliver on devolved matters. Eventually people demand a reckoning.

• Options

DavidL said:

It's not a good look.
    I think to be fair to Alastair and indeed Remain it is a bit more complicated than that. Remainers believe themselves to be operating in the real world, the world where sovereignty is a negotiable commodity that has to be traded for market access, influence and pooled interests. They regard Leavers as naïve in failing to recognise the extent to which a UK outside the EU would still need to bow to its terms and yet have even less say on how those terms are fixed. Remainers think that Leavers underestimate the risks being run and therefore try to demonstrate those risks with models that produce the average fall in wages etc.

And, frankly, there is some truth in this. Some of what Leave says is ridiculous. I am not completely confident that we will be better off out. It is an unknown based on a series of imponderables. I just think the balance favours us having greater control of our own affairs. But I can readily understand how people reach the alternative view. And I am certainly not angry about it.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

ONS population forecasts are of much higher quality than Treasury spreadsheet extrapolations based on pessimistic forecasts. Why did Osborne not ask the OBR to produce the forecasts for BREXIT?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

Its no different to the lies LEAVE are telling, just different lies.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Thanks malc for answering. I guessed 1% but low balled the number just in case I had over egged it.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    malcolmg said:

Those figures do support my point (and undermine @DavidL). The people with the highest incomes, both by SE class and by region are those most likely to support Remain. If being wealthy or having a higher income inclined people to higher order aspirations then you would expect the converse. Unless those higher order aspirations are European internationalism!

Areas and demographics for Leave are those that want to see the rich pay more to aid them, whether by building housing or by providing other forms of support such as tax credits.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Exactly the same applies for Scotland. People are starting to look at the SNP record of delivery and say that they can't keep blaming Westminster constraints for their failure to deliver on devolved matters. Eventually people demand a reckoning.

I think you mean the pathetic opposition MSP's are bumping their gums about it. Most people know the SNP are far from perfect but are many many many times better than the alternatives as we just saw when asked their opinion.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Those figures do support my point (and undermine @DavidL). The people with the highest incomes, both by SE class and by region are those most likely to support Remain. If being wealthy or having a higher income inclined people to higher order aspirations then you would expect the converse. Unless those higher order aspirations are European internationalism!

Areas and demographics for Leave are those that want to see the rich pay more to aid them, whether by building housing or by providing other forms of support such as tax credits.
    Fox , the problem is the people in middle of it whilst well paid are far from rich and they are paying far too much as it is. Whilst I am happy to pay to help others , I am paying eye watering amounts each month and do not wish to pay any more. You can kill the golden goose, far too many people nowadays think they are entitled to be kept in style by other people. It cannot go on the way it is in this country.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

malcolmg said:

Well quite.

All those posters who daily froth about excess immigration killing the prospects of ordinary working British people have decided this morning that Leave is in fact the optimistic option. Someone should tell Vote Leave, who seem to have decided "we're swamped by immigrants" is their sole campaign theme for the rest of the referendum.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128
    CD13 said:

Dr P,

I agree with your sentiments, and they were very well put. It's irritation at incompetence and a "We always know best" attitude when that is clearly wrong.

The real "angrys" are in a small minority, but "We take you for fools" isn't a good manifesto.

Backed up by the 'elite' never having to pay a price for their arrogance / incompetence / crime.

We're NOT all in it together.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

better.

Well quite.

All those posters who daily froth about excess immigration killing the prospects of ordinary working British people have decided this morning that Leave is in fact the optimistic option. Someone should tell Vote Leave, who seem to have decided "we're swamped by immigrants" is their sole campaign theme for the rest of the referendum.
    Did you not watch Michael Gove the other night? He was relentlessly positive and very reluctant to criticise Remain. And his message on every topic, including immigration, is that we need to take control of our own affairs. That might prove to be highly aspirational in some areas but there is no doubting at all what Leave's key message is.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

better.

Well quite.

Did you not watch Michael Gove the other night? He was relentlessly positive and very reluctant to criticise Remain. And his message on every topic, including immigration, is that we need to take control of our own affairs. That might prove to be highly aspirational in some areas but there is no doubting at all what Leave's key message is.
    Leave's latest poster:

https://politicaladvertising.co.uk/2016/05/24/vote-leaves-new-poster-uses-turkey-as-a-bogeyman/

Rather more people will see this than an interview on Sky on a Friday night.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016
    I'm mulling over the idea of a temporary replacement for Jacks ARSE after last night.

I think I will call it the remain-o-rant.

Bascially, tot up the amount of ad hominem/brexiters are racists/the country will be ruined by brexit and I've got my popcorn out type posts per day and divide by 10 and you get the Brexit lead.

:smiley:
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Betting, must disagree. Osborne still probably has the MP support to make the final two, so his becoming leader remains a credible possibility.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

better.

happy with income.

With the possible exception of London, which is clearly the most cosmopolitan and international part of the UK by a distance, I do not see it that way. Wales, for example, is not obviously out of line in support for Leave.

As this is a referendum with a yes/no answer a majority is inevitable one way or the other and that majority will be much more average than whatever the top 1% earn in any particular area. It is how the average feels that will determine their approach to the question and the average person in this country thinks they are doing ok.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

Population forecasts by government have usually been underestimates.

From 2003:

' Home Office Minister Beverley Hughes told MPs: "The number coming here for employment will be minimal."

According to the report: "The net immigration from the AC-10 to the UK after the current enlargement of the EU will be relatively small, at between 5,000 and 13,000 immigrants per year up to 2010." '

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2967318.stm
  • Options

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

better.

Well quite.

Leave's latest poster:

https://politicaladvertising.co.uk/2016/05/24/vote-leaves-new-poster-uses-turkey-as-a-bogeyman/

The strapline is still take back control. That is the message.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_P said:

How is the "not racist" Leave campaign going then?

@BethRigby: Extraordinary by @Nigel_Farage: Women face rape by migrants if we stay in fear. Sorry, whose peddling project fear? https://t.co/mP7DJqPlx1

Farage has as much to do with the official Leave campaign as Jeremy Corbyn has to do with the Conservative Party leadership.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I agree, up to a point. The problem is that virtually every serious politician is saying that withdrawal will make the position more difficult. We don't have any who say convincingly that if only we were freed from the need for EU consensus we would be able to follow policy platform X and that would make our situation much better. Not Tories. Not Labour. Not LibDem. Not SNP. Nobody. UKIP say we'd be free, and then, uh, we'd work it out. EEA? Glorious separation? Let's get free first and then we'll talk about that.

So what we are in danger of doing is withdrawing because people feel the parties are all a bit crap, and moving to a situation where the virtually unanimous view of the people responsible is that they'll necessarily become more crap.
    That's why representative democracy, along with the Labour Party, is finished. We trust our hearts far more than our heads. For the referendum this means, as you say, voting LEAVE first and thinking (or not) about what to do next afterwards.

The class politics which both Labour and representative democracy require are finished. As posters here demonstrate, the hunt for the Scapegoat (immigrants, public sector pensioners, whoever) has started. It will continue and intensify, becoming ever more brutal. Identity politics are beginning. Sometimes they seem pretty enough (like the SNP, although it's always had a drink problem) and sometimes, as in Poland or Hungary they are not.

• Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

better.

Well quite.

Leave's latest poster:

Do you really think that's the message that most people would take from that poster?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    How many Leavers would be happy if a decision to Leave resulted in the breakup of the UK with Scotland leaving?
    Also what would be the position of Northern Ireland and Gibraltar?
    http://ukandeu.ac.uk/starting-gun-to-a-referendum-or-a-ticking-time-bomb-implications-of-a-brexit-for-northern-ireland/
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. Song, whether the UK remains or not is a matter for the UK. Whether Scotland leaves the UK is a matter for Scotland.

Speaking of Britain and Scotland, Andy Murray's in the French Open final against Djokovic. It'd be a surprise if he won, but if he did I think he'd just need the Australian Open to complete the Grand Slam career set.
  • Options
    What you are seeing is wealth being ever more disproportionately concentrated in the AB and top end of the C1 classes.

At the same time those AB and top end C1s are increasingly mobile and international in outlook and increasingly regard AB and C1 classes from other EU states as far more their kith and kin than they do the C1(rest) C2 D and E of their own nation who they increasingly view in the same "enlightened" light that the protestant ascendancy Anglo Irish looked down on Catholic Irish Peasants who toiled on their behalf.

What is happening now is that the C1(rest) C2 D and Es in the UK are reacting in exactly the way the Catholic Irish Peasants did in the 1918 elections.

In other parts of Europe such as Greece we are beginning to see the signs of their C1(rest) C2 D and Es are starting to react like the Catholic Irish Peasants did towards the Anglo Irish and their large houses in the 1920s.

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

better.

Well quite.

Leave's latest poster:

Do you really think that's the message that most people would take from that poster?
    I think that the message most people would take is that if Turkey is joining the EU with its freedom of movement rules we need to leave so we can control our borders.

Of course Turkey are not joining the EU anytime soon but the same principle applies to countries a lot more likely to join soon such as Serbia and Albania as well as some who are already in such as Rumania. The relative poverty in those countries makes the UK an irresistible draw.
  • Options

How many Leavers would be happy if a decision to Leave resulted in the breakup of the UK with Scotland leaving?
    http://ukandeu.ac.uk/starting-gun-to-a-referendum-or-a-ticking-time-bomb-implications-of-a-brexit-for-northern-ireland/

Personally speaking I don't expect NI to be the Remain walkover that some think it will be.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @malcolmg

I am in the top1% in the East Midlands in terms of income (but not of wealth), so I too pay a shedload of tax.

Squaring the circle of keeping taxes affordable yet not breaking up the welfare state on the altar of austerity is a tricky one. It will be made worse by cutting down on working age migrants, and thereby increasing the number of dependents for each of us of working age. Remember that ONS forecast of the population growing to 70 million? The number of working age people remains constant and the increase is mostly in the elderly, and particularly in the very elderly. The 1945 -1964 baby-boomers are getting to retirement age and beyond. There is a twenty year gap before the bpopulation structure stabilises. Until then we have to choose between immigration in about the current numbers and austerity that ever tightens on those in need of welfare support.

The government (and market) has failed to prepare for both these demographic changes. We should be building housing, and schools as well as a viable system of health and social care, instead we have squeezed all these things.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

The high cost of housing maps very poorly to support for Leave, or of UKIP. Indeed it seems to be the converse. London is a bastion of Remain, but areas that support Leave are some of the cheapest places to buy a house in the UK, even as a percentage of income such as the NE, Humberside, Welsh Valleys etc. The areas that do best on the map in the header are those where house prices have gone up, reflecting the proportion of this as a household asset.

Similarly the generation gap has the young most squeezed by housing costs for Remain, the older home owners who have done well out of housing for Leave.

Those who have felt the pain of austerity (both in lost services and in lost jobs working for councils, etc) are those who are most likely to be Leavers. The areas and demographics for Leave are those with the highest rates of public sector employment. Mr Meeks is right about the relationship between austerity and Brexit support.
    I'm not so sure. Greater London, core cities, and university cities, where rates of public sector employment are high, will favour Remain as will Scotland and Northern Ireland. Provincial England and Wales will favour Leave.
  • Options
    ConcanvasserConcanvasser Posts: 165
    Leave is prospering because Germany didnt think we would do what we said we would do. Get a better deal or leave. It was ever thus. We said we would defend Belgium and said the same again over Poland twenty five years later. They thought we didnt mean it. Had Angela given the merest fig leaf of a concession in the renegotiation Cameron would be in the clear by now.As it is he is facing a truly historic defeat. I like Germans and their country.They seem the most like us of any of them. Yet they consistently think we dont mean what we say, against all the evidence of history. When we leave thank or blame Angela.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

better.

Well quite.

Leave's latest poster:

Given that Turkish Citizens will have visa free travel in to Schenegan next month, arguing over whether they will de jure join is semantics. As far as people are concerned they are de-facto joining which is why that poster is so effective.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

How many politicians want responsibility ?

And how many prefer power, or the trappings of power, without responsibility.

Likewise how many people want responsibility in their own lives rather than a nanny state and the magic money tree.

• Options

@malcolmg

I am in the top1% in the East Midlands in terms of income (but not of wealth), so I too pay a shedload of tax.

Squaring the circle of keeping taxes affordable yet not breaking up the welfare state on the altar of austerity is a tricky one. It will be made worse by cutting down on working age migrants, and thereby increasing the number of dependents for each of us of working age. Remember that ONS forecast of the population growing to 70 million? The number of working age people remains constant and the increase is mostly in the elderly, and particularly in the very elderly. The 1945 -1964 baby-boomers are getting to retirement age and beyond. There is a twenty year gap before the bpopulation structure stabilises. Until then we have to choose between immigration in about the current numbers and austerity that ever tightens on those in need of welfare support.

The government (and market) has failed to prepare for both these demographic changes. We should be building housing, and schools as well as a viable system of health and social care, instead we have squeezed all these things.

The government solution to this is to increase the retirement age. Most of us will be working until our late 60s or early 70s (depending on age) which will both increase the supply of labour and reduce the period over which retirement benefits are paid.

We are also not utilising our domestic supply of labour adequately because it is cheaper to employ qualified people from abroad than train them adequately. Doctors, of course, still get to retire at 60.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Leave is prospering because Germany didnt think we would do what we said we would do. Get a better deal or leave. It was ever thus. We said we would defend Belgium and said the same again over Poland twenty five years later. They thought we didnt mean it. Had Angela given the merest fig leaf of a concession in the renegotiation Cameron would be in the clear by now.As it is he is facing a truly historic defeat. I like Germans and their country.They seem the most like us of any of them. Yet they consistently think we dont mean what we say, against all the evidence of history. When we leave thank or blame Angela.

There is nothing Merkel could offered Cameron to make a meaningful difference to the referendum result that wouldn't have been vetoed by another member state.
  • Options

Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar would be cutting off their nose to spite their face if they seceded from the UK, so I think it's unlikely.
  • Options

Interesting theory.
    You can hardly blame the Germans for underestimating British honour when they were dealing with a contemptible weakling like donkey Dave. Their calculation that he would fold was accurate.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

I'm not so sure. Greater London, core cities, and university cities, where rates of public sector employment are high, will favour Remain as will Scotland and Northern Ireland. Provincial England and Wales will favour Leave.
    Similarly the places with the highest manufacturing employment (and so with perhaps most to lose from disrupted trade) are likely to vote Leave.

I suspect that the regional pattern of Remain/Leave will not be dissimilar to the regional pattern of YEStoAV/NOtoAV.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999

If I thought remaining would guarantee Scotland would not exit the UK I would change my vote. As it is I think Scotland will leave the uk regardless so voting leave does not matter so much.

• Options

There is nothing Merkel could offered Cameron to make a meaningful difference to the referendum result that wouldn't have been vetoed by another member state.
    It would have required a majority of governments to contemplate an alternative to More Europe, and that was never going to happen in the available timescale.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Sean_F said:

Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar would be cutting off their nose to spite their face if they seceded from the UK, so I think it's unlikely.
    If they do, what of it? Leavers believe in self-determination.
  • Options
    ConcanvasserConcanvasser Posts: 165
    Edmundintokyo but Cameron came away with nothing. Zero to offer. Merkel dominates the EU to an unprecedented extent. Had the will existed in Berlin to strike a deal then a deal would have been struck. Instead they tried to call our bluff. Again.
  • Options
    John Major appears to be extracting his revenge on the Bastards live on Marr right now
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,895
    Scott_P said:

John Major appears to be extracting his revenge on the Bastards live on Marr right now

The man is a fool... Lead his party to its worst defeat since the Duke Of Wellington, presided over a house repossession crisis across Middle England, etc.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    Leave are successfully exploiting generalised discontent for its own ends and it is human nature for people to want to believe anyone who tells them their problems will be sorted out if they just do as they say - i.e. leave the EU

If Leave win I fully expect the fickle public to be blaming Brexit for all their woes within a year or two.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Sean_F said:

It would have required a majority of governments to contemplate an alternative to More Europe, and that was never going to happen in the available timescale.
    Beyond tinkering around the edges it's not just a majority of governments, it's all of them. Say the British want the ability to shaft Polish migrant workers, for example. That might have impressed leave-curious voters. But why on earth would the government of Poland go along with it? If they don't, it doesn't happen.

Obviously Cameron knew this, the renegotiation was a scam to get through the election without admitting that he supported the EU. And it worked.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,526
    Scott_P said:

I'm sure people will give him and his views the respect they deserve.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited June 2016

PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

Population forecasts by government have usually been underestimates.

From 2003:

' Home Office Minister Beverley Hughes told MPs: "The number coming here for employment will be minimal."

According to the report: "The net immigration from the AC-10 to the UK after the current enlargement of the EU will be relatively small, at between 5,000 and 13,000 immigrants per year up to 2010." '

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2967318.stm
    If Leave do this (big if - still think Remain will squeeze this just), that obscure ( at the time ) miscalculation by, one assumes. an obscure civil servant might turn out to be one of the most significant what ifs in post war politics. If they'd got that figure half way right would the then Govt have opened up so quickly to E Europe? True the seven year adjustment allowed would've elapsed by now, but I suspect the dynamics would be really different both in terms of actual cumulative numbers, the rise of UKIP and the referendum.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited June 2016

Edmundintokyo but Cameron came away with nothing. Zero to offer. Merkel dominates the EU to an unprecedented extent. Had the will existed in Berlin to strike a deal then a deal would have been struck. Instead they tried to call our bluff. Again.

The EU is doing its own superstate thing. A cursory glance at any EU document will confirm this.

Dave, however, achieved a formal opt-out of ever closer union, no discrimination between and against EZ/non-EZ and exemption from banking union. He didn't get much on immigration, and he got some fluff on competitiveness. But at least on PB, no one has a problem with EU immigration, do they?

He has not changed the EU, he has fundamentally enshrined the UK's special status within, or even perhaps if you prefer alongside the EU.

That's hardly nothing.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    edited June 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

With that talent they should be able to accurately spreadbet and be retired.....
  • Options

Hasn't Cameron given away one of our vetoes too?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,696
    Scott_P said:

I felt his priority was to try to defend his own record and convince us that he didn't sell out our sovereignty.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

Good morning, still think it's "silly and childish" to suggest that the Leave campaign have a problem with waycists?
This discussion has been closed.