Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer’s challenge: LAB starts in an almost impossible position – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

TOPPING said:

I think Starmer could be the equivalent of Michael Howard, albeit with 1/1000th of the charisma and that's saying something. Even the sainted TB praised MH, saying it was a welcome relief to have a sensible LotO and proper debate. But the public needed more convincing. And more time.

So like Kinnock, SKS is paving the way for someone to come and reap what he has sown.

I think you may be correct

His speech was far too long but he handled the hecklers well

Labour still have a long way to go to regain the voters trust, and Starmer looks as if he may steady the ship but someone else will be needed to bring it safely home to port
    Thank goodness no one noticed the fuel queues and will not notice the inflationary pressures on the horizon.
    I heard the word "stagflation" on R4 this morning.
    Possibly for the first time in decades.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

nico679 said:

So the government have decided to force motorists to now get a UK sticker for their cars when they go abroad as the GB one is no longer valid . I expect this will be pinned on the EU being mean when in fact this is a UK decision and applies all over the world . What is the point of this change .

But NI is in the EU, so the GB one is correct for a change ...
    Will we have to change it back to GB after Sindyref2? You are better off sticking with your "Ecosse" badge.
    There will be no indyref2 allowed while we Tories are in charge anyway
    You have no idea what 'we tories' will do at sometime in the future...
    Neither do 'you Tories'.
    Especially if Boris is still in charge. :smile:
  • Options

Pidcock looking miserable.

THIS IS NEW NEWS
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,134
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

2,997 Scotland cases.

Disappointing, still down week-on-week which is good but looks like the fall is running out of steam which is sad.

What are hospitalisations?

That's the key metric, surely. If they keep coming down, that's nearly all that matters. Cases are much less significant
    I am actually very surprised the case numbers are down. This thing is running through the schools like wildfire. I would expect cases to remain high until it has burnt itself out amongst the 12-15 age group.
    Yes, every kid in a school is going to get this. How do you avoid it? Delta is so infectious, children can't mask and socially distance 24/7

On the other hand, this is concerning. Guam has a vax rate of 90%

Yet Delta is surging, even there

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/29/guams-vaccination-success-story-turns-grim-with-covid-surge
    Innumeracy...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

One thing we've learnt today. Starmer definitely had a mum and a dad.

Hah

But we’ve also learned another. After that unionist speech, no way is Starmer going into Coalition with the SNP, offering them Sindyref2. That’s quite significant

Well things might look different if it's the only option. But he was strong on it.
    Yeah, because Starmer has such a track record of standing firm on stuff....

Which the SNP will have spotted too.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

So my energy supplier Igloo is packing up shop

Urgh, transferred to Igloo a few months ago. Just saw the email from them..
    Anyone able to login to them?
    Just tried and no.

Their landing page still has 'Energy for the Connected Generation, Switch today and you could save £71* a year'.
    I sense they have been somewhat overtaken by events.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,511

PB Update – SNAFU

• PBers still don't understand how vaccine efficacy is measured (see @Leon, thanks for the clarification @Pulstar)

• PBers still don't seem to grasp that Covid doesn't matter if it presents as a (bad) cold

I said nothing about vaccine efficacy. I said the situation in Guam is "concerning", which it is. The vaccines work but as Guam shows, with Delta, you can still have a highly pressured health system even with 90% of eligibles jabbed

Covid is not defeated. Tho it is in slow retreat, inshallah
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I think Starmer could be the equivalent of Michael Howard, albeit with 1/1000th of the charisma and that's saying something. Even the sainted TB praised MH, saying it was a welcome relief to have a sensible LotO and proper debate. But the public needed more convincing. And more time.

So like Kinnock, SKS is paving the way for someone to come and reap what he has sown.

Labour still have a long way to go to regain the voters trust, and Starmer looks as if he may steady the ship but someone else will be needed to bring it safely home to port
    Thank goodness no one noticed the fuel queues and will not notice the inflationary pressures on the horizon.
    I have no doubt the fuel queues have been noticed by most everyone, and inflation is something the world is facing but one speech does not suddenly make labour electable

They have to persuade people like myself who voted for Blair to do so again

Today was a very small step on that journey
  • Options

Food banks.
    Bedroom tax.
    Self identification.
    Gender neutral bathrooms.
    Palestine.

My Leader's Speech bingo card isn't a winner.

You should have gone for Mum and Dad.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,996
    edited September 2021

PB Update – SNAFU

• PBers still don't understand how vaccine efficacy is measured (see @Leon, thanks for the clarification @Pulstar)

• PBers still don't seem to grasp that Covid doesn't matter if it presents as a (bad) cold

I hope my sums are correct !

The article on Guam isn't written very well, the numbers point to high vaccine efficacy whereas the narrative is all doom and gloom.

Another point the 554 infected and vaccinated in August now have hybrid immunity, and the 1,211 are protected to some degree by infection.

If Covid was killing people with hybrid immunity in huge numbers that would be a err problem, but I haven't seen evidence of that anywhere.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,511
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

@bigjohnowls

If Starmer is a loser, what was Corbyn? He lost Labour their heartlands, and led the party to their worst result since before the Second World War.

I mean, it's possible that the country is just begging for some hard left solutions. But there doesn't seem to be any actual evidence of that.

Labour won elections - in my lifetime - under Blair and under Wilson. When was the last time (if any) that someone from the left of the party led them to electoral success?

Wilson was on the moderate left of the party, he won a clear win in 1966 and a small win in 1974

No he wasn't. He was very definitely on the right of the party.
    No he was on the centre left.

In the 1963 Labour leadership election Wilson was the main centre left candidate while George Brown and Jim Callaghan, his main rivals, were the candidates of the Labour right
    Actually, you're right. Both Brown and Wilson were more to the right.
    Indeed and most of the Gaitskellites voted for Callaghan. Brown's serious drink problems and the aggressive behaviour that went with it was well-known in the PLP and on the Tory side too (Macmillan's diaries are coruscating): he was wholly unsuited to be Leader.
    One thing that leaps out to me from reading about the politics of the 1970s is the very hard drinking.

I'm not just talking about the evenings. Harold Wilson would often have sunk a couple of brandies by 11am, and other cabinet ministers sozzled by early afternoon, and obviously inebriated at the dispatch box.

Just wouldn't happen now.
    Aye, Roy Jenkins - he of claret fame - and Tony Crosland were other very senior Labour figures and I believe Reggie Maudling on the Tory side was also fond of the occasional snifter. As was Dr Horace King who was Speaker from 1965 to 71. And so on....
    Thatcher would drink neat scotch at lunch, it's in one of the political memoirs of the time (David Owen or Alan Clark, perhaps)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Christ, is he still going??

Nah, he died 2000 or so years ago
    IANAE but I understand there to be some uncertainty about that.
    PB pedantry point: there is no doubt that JC died on the Cross and was buried (unless there is some relevant heresy of which I am unaware). It's what happened 3 days later that is the matter for discussion.
    I don't think there's any doubt about what happened:

The Blairites put up a terrible candidate, and JC was re-elected Labour leader in a landslide.
    The first JC only spent 40 days in the wilderness though …
    But 30 years in obscurity before prominence and ascension?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

nico679 said:

So the government have decided to force motorists to now get a UK sticker for their cars when they go abroad as the GB one is no longer valid . I expect this will be pinned on the EU being mean when in fact this is a UK decision and applies all over the world . What is the point of this change .

But NI is in the EU, so the GB one is correct for a change ...
    Will we have to change it back to GB after Sindyref2? You are better off sticking with your "Ecosse" badge.
    There will be no indyref2 allowed while we Tories are in charge anyway
    You have no idea what 'we tories' will do at sometime in the future...
    Neither do 'you Tories'.
    Especially if Boris is still in charge. :smile:
    I am not a member of the conservative party
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    edited September 2021

TOPPING said:

I have no doubt the fuel queues have been noticed by most everyone, and inflation is something the world is facing but one speech does not suddenly make labour electable

I’m sorry to pop your balloon there G, but your vote is not vitally needed…

That’s Blair Landslide territory, Tories hit by asteroid, as PBs great psephologist HY will quickly point out.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

TOPPING said:

Well maybe I will just not use it then
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Just tried and no.

Their landing page still has 'Energy for the Connected Generation, Switch today and you could save £71* a year'.
    Guess it is too late to take that recommended screenshot!
  • Options
    Leon said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

@bigjohnowls

If Starmer is a loser, what was Corbyn? He lost Labour their heartlands, and led the party to their worst result since before the Second World War.

I mean, it's possible that the country is just begging for some hard left solutions. But there doesn't seem to be any actual evidence of that.

Labour won elections - in my lifetime - under Blair and under Wilson. When was the last time (if any) that someone from the left of the party led them to electoral success?

Wilson was on the moderate left of the party, he won a clear win in 1966 and a small win in 1974

In the 1963 Labour leadership election Wilson was the main centre left candidate while George Brown and Jim Callaghan, his main rivals, were the candidates of the Labour right
    Indeed and most of the Gaitskellites voted for Callaghan. Brown's serious drink problems and the aggressive behaviour that went with it was well-known in the PLP and on the Tory side too (Macmillan's diaries are coruscating): he was wholly unsuited to be Leader.
    One thing that leaps out to me from reading about the politics of the 1970s is the very hard drinking.

I'm not just talking about the evenings. Harold Wilson would often have sunk a couple of brandies by 11am, and other cabinet ministers sozzled by early afternoon, and obviously inebriated at the dispatch box.

Aye, Roy Jenkins - he of claret fame - and Tony Crosland were other very senior Labour figures and I believe Reggie Maudling on the Tory side was also fond of the occasional snifter. As was Dr Horace King who was Speaker from 1965 to 71. And so on....
    Thatcher would drink neat scotch at lunch, it's in one of the political memoirs of the time (David Owen or Alan Clark, perhaps)
    I don't get this Wilson was from the right bit. He was definitely centre left is my understanding.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    Considering NI registered cars rarely had the blue strip to the side prior to Brexit I wonder if this is to make it more palatable for them (well, half of them, I imagine the nationalist side still won't want to drive a car with "UK" on) to use when driving in Europe.

I note this change still doesn't mean you need a sticker if you change your plates to one with the union flag on and "UK", but still annoying for anyone who updated it after Brexit.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Nigelb said:

A museum says they gave an artist $84,000 in cash to use in artwork. He delivered blank canvases and titled them "Take the Money and Run."
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jens-haaning-take-the-money-and-run-blank-canvases/

That’s brilliant! (For the artist if not the museum, which now has little choice but to hang a blank canvas to their own idiocy).
  • Options
    Leon said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

@bigjohnowls

Didn't Ken Clarke get through a fair bit of Scotch when delivering his budgets?

• Options

IanB2 said:

Just tried and no.

"Three more British energy suppliers have collapsed, as soaring natural gas prices continue to create market turmoil.

The energy regulator Ofgem said today that Igloo Energy, Symbio Energy and ENSTROGA have stopped trading."

Telegraph blog
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,996
    rcs1000 said:

@bigjohnowls

Corbyn lost 2019 badly, but he was courting the 2nd referendum vote in a country that voted 65/35 Leave in terms of constituencies. As I showed earlier, the movement from 2015 to 2019 was almost all UKIP to Conservative, which mullers the Remain vote
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

I posted it here about 3 months ago.

On basis inflation looks nailed on, but growth could be lumpy, likely the odd ups and downs back in sixties and seventies.

Is it measurements like this that made them called the swinging sixties?
  • Options

Incidentally, I think Starmer's Make Brexit Work is a slogan that could run - a simple but clever antidote to Get Brexit Done - that wouldn't piss of leave voters.

What is his immigration policy?
  • Options
    Igloo statement: ""The current extreme price shock that we’re experiencing is one that few, if anyone, anticipated."
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Leon said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

@bigjohnowls

Can we call the stuff whisky? We are not in Chicago.
  • Options
    At some point pretty soon the crank left is going to start saying that Starmer's team put the hecklers in the hall today ...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

A museum says they gave an artist $84,000 in cash to use in artwork. He delivered blank canvases and titled them "Take the Money and Run."
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jens-haaning-take-the-money-and-run-blank-canvases/

That’s brilliant! (For the artist if not the museum, which now has little choice but to hang a blank canvas to their own idiocy).
    Sounds as though they'll get the money back, if the artist doesn't break the contract.
  • Options
    Reading the victim impact statements from Sarah Everard’s family is utterly heartbreaking.

The only thing - one mitigating factor among numerous aggravating factors - in Couzens’ favour, is that he pled guilty and spared that poor family a trial.

Hope he never sees the outside world again.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Because "GB" was wrong when we first chose it. And now we're switching to "UK" just as we bin off the union. So that Beaker can the Muppet Show can pretend they care.

"Yes Jim Ulsterman, we have made you get a license to ship products from GB to NI. But look - a shiny "UK" badge. So you can Love Us again."
    Boris and Lewis are also about to reimpose direct rule by the UK government in NI, once the DUP withdraw from the Stormont executive over the NI protocol in another carrot for Sir Jeffrey and NI Unionists if Boris needs them if he loses his majority in 2023/4
    Great! Does that remove the customs border down the Irish Sea?
    It really needs both sides to grow up and resolve the issues sensibly and who cares about GE 24 this is now
    Or just one side to honour the oven baked deal they negotiated and signed?
  • Options

Leon said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

@bigjohnowls

Whisky sips was a good spread betting market!
  • Options

Starmer is never going to be a great orator, but that speech was a whole lot better than I was expecting. He looked and sounded like a leader. Overall, Labour leaves Brighton in a better place than it was when it got there. The far-left has been marginalised - by Starmer but also by choice - and today that was made very clear. That message is one that has to be heard before anything else Labour says is going to be even considered. So, a foundation has been laid.

I agree. To those on here calling for mass expulsions of those on the (entryist) far left (who are dwindling in number anyway), it seems to me it is much better that the far left marginalise themselves of their own volition and slip quietly back to where they came from - the SWP etc. Much better than open warfare.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Bigger story for them though (possibly bigger draw too) than simply displaying a rehashed version of the artist's earlier work. If I was of a cynical frame of mind, I'd suggest they cooked this up together, free publicity for artist and museum...
  • Options
    isam said:

Incidentally, I think Starmer's Make Brexit Work is a slogan that could run - a simple but clever antidote to Get Brexit Done - that wouldn't piss of leave voters.

I don't know, but presumably one that would Make Brexit Work. It certainly won't be FOM, will it?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    isam said:

"Make immigration work!"

Simple :smile: There's probably no area where a similar slogan can't be deployed:
    "Make petrol stations work!"
    "Make the government work!"
    "Make the unemployed work!"

Edit to add: I do think it's not a bad slogan nor a bad mindset. There's no point refighting the lost Brexit war just yet.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

... and totally legal.
    Is it any worse than a signed urinal or a shredded drawing?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

I think the gallery will love it, look at the publicity. Plus according to the article they can get the money back anyway.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Selebian said:

isam said:

"Make immigration work!"

Simple :smile: There's probably no area where a similar slogan can't be deployed:
    Make work work?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,996
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sounds as though they'll get the money back, if the artist doesn't break the contract.
    Art commerce is so mad someone will probably take a photo of the exhibit and sell the NFT (Or buy) for more than $84,000 tbh.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,798
    Selebian said:

isam said:

"Make immigration work!"

"Make crime work" ?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

@bigjohnowls

I think you're both right. Wilson was moderate left in the 60's, then the centre of gravity of the Party shifted much further left in the harsher climate of the early 70's, so he was definitely on the right by then. Maybe he shifted a bit towards the right, too, as he was "mugged by reality" in government.
    Yes, he was definitely on the right of his party by the time he left the PM job in '76.
    Interestingly Tony Benn went on the opposite journey - technocratic right in the 60s, Commie in the 70s and 80s.
  • Options

isam said:

I think it is worth looking at the net changes in vote share from 2015 to 2019. The story goes that Jezza was offputting to Lib Dems, but both Labour and the Lib Dems were up on their 2015 vote share.

I think the difference is the redistribution of the UKIP vote, post Brexit - I'd guess that some Remainer Tories went LD, as most Kippers went Tory

GE 2015
    Con 36.9%
    Lab 30.4%
    LD 7.9%
    UKIP 12.6%

GE 2019 (change from 2015)
    Con 43.6% (+6.7)
    Lab 32.3%(+1.9)
    LD 11.6% (+3.7)
    Brexit 2.0% (-10.6)

UKIP was the gateway party for disillusioned labour voters who then went full-on Tory.
    But for how long? Labour have been very cannily talking to them all week.

I’ve been posting Labour are stuck mid thirties because of this Lexit problem, after this week I am expecting this to change.
  • Options

isam said:

I don't know, but presumably one that would Make Brexit Work. It certainly won't be FOM, will it?
    100,00 Visa's for every job!
  • Options
    Selebian said:

isam said:

"Make immigration work!"

Edit to add: I do think it's not a bad slogan nor a bad mindset. There's no point refighting the lost Brexit war just yet.
    Labour, the “make work” party.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Selebian said:

isam said:

"Make immigration work!"

"Make crime work" ?
    Um... Ok, some areas where you have to be a bit cautious about deploying the slogan
  • Options
    You have heard what the journalists thought, what Peter Mandelson thought, what Laura Pidcock thought, and even what Carole Vincent thought.

But what did the public make of Starmer's speech?

Our snap poll is now in field. Results soon!

https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1443230894295224325?s=20

Wonder how many "don't knows"/"haven't heard it" they'll get?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Reading the victim impact statements from Sarah Everard’s family is utterly heartbreaking.

The only thing - one mitigating factor among numerous aggravating factors - in Couzens’ favour, is that he pled guilty and spared that poor family a trial.

I agree with that, though from what I've read the evidence against him was so overwhelming that I suspect he had no choice but to plead guilty.
  • Options

You have heard what the journalists thought, what Peter Mandelson thought, what Laura Pidcock thought, and even what Carole Vincent thought.

Yes, isnt it just testing what pundits and reporters think, since their reporting of it is all most will have seen?
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Because "GB" was wrong when we first chose it. And now we're switching to "UK" just as we bin off the union. So that Beaker can the Muppet Show can pretend they care.

"Yes Jim Ulsterman, we have made you get a license to ship products from GB to NI. But look - a shiny "UK" badge. So you can Love Us again."
    Boris and Lewis are also about to reimpose direct rule by the UK government in NI, once the DUP withdraw from the Stormont executive over the NI protocol in another carrot for Sir Jeffrey and NI Unionists if Boris needs them if he loses his majority in 2023/4
    Great! Does that remove the customs border down the Irish Sea?
    It really needs both sides to grow up and resolve the issues sensibly and who cares about GE 24 this is now
    Or just one side to honour the oven baked deal they negotiated and signed?
    It is not that simple unfortunately
  • Options

Or even "who?".
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

I heard 1min 29 seconds of it and he sounded like Ed Miliband but there was plenty of whooping and cheering in the hall which has to be a good thing for Lab.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,732
    edited September 2021
    Gas up a little more today 229p/therm for dec delivery. A new all time high. Up from 40p/ this time last year.

Let’s hope for a very windy winter…

https://www.theice.com/products/910/UK-Natural-Gas-Futures/data?marketId=5188708&span=2
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I agree with that, though from what I've read the evidence against him was so overwhelming that I suspect he had no choice but to plead guilty.
    Doesn't stop some.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Just tried and no.

Go in on about the 50th go including resetting password and retrieved the last bill. Not been able to submit a meter reading yet.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,900

Off-topic:

A vaccines work anecdote.

A friend of a friend is a father, with two late-teenage kids. His wife is an anti-vaxxer, and insists that none of them got the vaccine. She god Covid, and spent a month on a ventilator. She is apparently still an anti-vaxxer.

Eldest daughter got it, and went into hospital for a few days. Youngest daughter did not get it.

The husband did not get it, which his wife thinks is a sign that Covid isn't really that bad (yes, really).

In fact, it's because he secretly got vaccinated months back, without telling her ...

I wonder if she could be mentally unwell?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Just tried and no.

Go in on about the 50th go including resetting password and retrieved the last bill. Not been able to submit a meter reading yet.
    Should I be personally bovvered about this, if all I burn is oil?
  • Options

How can any snap poll provide an accurate response when only the politically engaged would have heard it

And Sky barely covered it in what is a big news day
  • Options

They are going hard for leave voters (not in that sense Leon).

It’s a difficult slogan for the Tories to rebut - how do they combat it, Brexit is working?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Just tried and no.

No but the posters who initially mentioned they are on Igloo, and other people with them, might be. Or might not.

I doubt people are particularly bothered about most posts people make.
  • Options
    ping said:

Gas up a little more today 229p/therm for dec delivery. A new all time high. Up from 40p/ this time last year.

https://www.theice.com/products/910/UK-Natural-Gas-Futures/data?marketId=5188708&span=2

Ping you may also enjoy playing around with this:

https://www.epexspot.com/en/market-data?market_area=GB&trading_date=2021-09-29&delivery_date=2021-09-30&underlying_year=&modality=Auction&sub_modality=DayAhead&product=60&data_mode=graph&period=year

n.b. GB is in £ and everyone else €
  • Options

Igloo statement: ""The current extreme price shock that we’re experiencing is one that few, if anyone, anticipated."

We'll probably all end up back with British Gas and British Gas renationalized... Back to the 70's. Hey we've got ABBA back so why not! :D
  • Options

How can any snap poll provide an accurate response when only the politically engaged would have heard it

The pollster is showing the respondents clips of it then asking them what they thought. Is that a good thing, polling nerds?
  • Options

Presumably Sir K was cursing the Wayne Cuzon's case this morning. Will take up air time.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    gealbhan said:

It’s a difficult slogan for the Tories to rebut - how do they combat it, Brexit is working?
    They just have to point to Sir Keir's attitude 2016-2019; refusal to accept the result, then determination to get an other referendum to which he was committed to Remain, no matter what

Leave was ALL about immigration, and Sir Keir is championing the New Labour regime which introduced the very thing that made the referendum possible, and the Leave win inevitable - don't see how that is courting Leavers, it's reminding them who's fault it was and that he thinks those at fault were the good guys

The people whoop whooping over his speech are committed Remainers!
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited September 2021
    gealbhan said:

The media will probably do the job for the Tories once they start asking the question to EU leaders/politicians.

Said politicians will likely all say "Brexit can't work" and that they'll only engage if Starmer is serious about moving closer to the EU, which gives the Tories the room they need to attack.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,364
    edited September 2021
    GIN1138 said:

Off-topic:

A friend of a friend is a father, with two late-teenage kids. His wife is an anti-vaxxer, and insists that none of them got the vaccine. She god Covid, and spent a month on a ventilator. She is apparently still an anti-vaxxer.

Eldest daughter got it, and went into hospital for a few days. Youngest daughter did not get it.

The husband did not get it, which his wife thinks is a sign that Covid isn't really that bad (yes, really).

In fact, it's because he secretly got vaccinated months back, without telling her ...

Indeed. You can see her logic if you close your eyes and believe in peter pan. Something like: Covid isn't too bad as 50% of us don't get it when its in the household and the other 50% only end up on a ventilator for a month.

I don't know why any of us were worried.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Just tried and no.

No but the posters who initially mentioned they are on Igloo, and other people with them, might be. Or might not.

I doubt people are particularly bothered about most posts people make.
    I meant about the issue, I wasn't being rude about the post.
  • Options
    ping said:

Or something persuades Vlad that it is time to stop twatting around with the supplies to europe.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,539
    edited September 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

@bigjohnowls

We are not in Chicago and that is why we call it Scotch.

ETA maybe the Scots call it whisky? In my very limited experience, a wee dram.
  • Options

ping said:

Ping you may also enjoy playing around with this:

https://www.epexspot.com/en/market-data?market_area=GB&trading_date=2021-09-29&delivery_date=2021-09-30&underlying_year=&modality=Auction&sub_modality=DayAhead&product=60&data_mode=graph&period=year

n.b. GB is in £ and everyone else €
    Ooh thanks. I’ll bookmark
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Presumably Sir K was cursing the Wayne Cuzon's case this morning. Will take up air time.
    It is a bigger news story than Starmer’s speech tbf. A police officer users his badge or uniform to take ladies from the street, who compliantly go along with arrest is utterly chilling. It makes your whole stomach drop out, I can’t read or listen to it. 😢

Blair had to contend with the OJ jury announcing its verdict.

These snap in middle conference polls always positive bounce, but Big G is right, inaccurate, only in polls after conference season do we understand if the season changed anything.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,161
    edited September 2021
    gealbhan said:

TOPPING said:

That’s Blair Landslide territory, Tories hit by asteroid, as PBs great psephologist HY will quickly point out.
    Correct.

BigG voted Labour in 1997 and 2001 but Tory in 2005 I think and has voted Tory since. So if Starmer won BigG's vote he would be heading for a landslide majority of over 100.

The key voters Starmer needs to win therefore are those who voted Labour in 2005 as well as in 1997 and 2001 but switched to voting Tory in 2010 for Cameron and have voted Tory ever since.

Are there any PBers who meet that description as they are the key swing voters Starmer needs to win to become PM? If so would be interesting to see what they thought of his speech
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

It is a bigger news story than Starmer’s speech tbf. A police offer users his badge or uniform to take ladies from the street, who compliantly go along with arrest is utterly chilling. It makes your whole stomach drop out, I can’t read or listen to it. 😢

These snap in middle conference polls always positive bounce, but Big G is right, inaccurate, only in polls after conference season do we understand if the season changed anything.
    How utterly horrific is that Sarah Everard news? Why would anyone, male or female, not resist arrest in the future on the back of this?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,313

JohnO said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

@bigjohnowls

Are you sure?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,313
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

It's OK. RedWallers don't listen to Radio 4.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

TOPPING said:

Correct.

BigG voted Labour in 1997 and 2001 but Tory in 2005 I think and has voted Tory since. So if Starmer won BigG's vote he would be heading for a landslide majority of over 100.

The key voters Starmer needs to win therefore are those who voted Labour in 2005 as well as in 1997 and 2001 but switched to voting Tory in 2010 for Cameron and have voted Tory ever since.

Are there any PBers who meet that description as they are the key swing voters Starmer needs to win to become PM? If so would be interesting to see what they thought of his speech
    Well I voted Labour in 1997, sat out 2001, Lib-Dem in 2005 and Con in 2010, 2015, 2017 and 2019 general elections.

Oh and I didn't hear Starmer's speech but I'd never vote for him in a general election.

I could see myself voting for Burnham though...
  • Options
    isam said:

gealbhan said:

They just have to point to Sir Keir's attitude 2016-2019; refusal to accept the result, then determination to get an other referendum to which he was committed to Remain, no matter what

Leave was ALL about immigration, and Sir Keir is championing the New Labour regime which introduced the very thing that made the referendum possible, and the Leave win inevitable - don't see how that is courting Leavers, it's reminding them who's fault it was and that he thinks those at fault were the good guys

You might be right…

However, PBs great Libertarian Economist Phillip Thompson does make the point about voters being fickle and ungrateful. How long does the red wall, without much record of voting Tory, spur Kier Labours courtship and sweet words at them if they don’t see change for the better, in fact feel worse off and sense the country going down the u bend?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,900
    edited September 2021
    isam said:

gealbhan said:

It is a bigger news story than Starmer’s speech tbf. A police offer users his badge or uniform to take ladies from the street, who compliantly go along with arrest is utterly chilling. It makes your whole stomach drop out, I can’t read or listen to it. 😢

How utterly horrific is that Sarah Everard news? Why would anyone, male or female, not resist arrest in the future on the back of this?
    That case was 'arrest' by a single cop. Two of them (esp if one is female) is inherently safer, but not 100% [edit] if only on strict logic.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

It is a bigger news story than Starmer’s speech tbf. A police officer users his badge or uniform to take ladies from the street, who compliantly go along with arrest is utterly chilling. It makes your whole stomach drop out, I can’t read or listen to it. 😢

Looking at what happened, I would not be surprised if this wasn't Couzens first attack. Perhaps his first murder, but not the first time he's offended. I hope they're digging deep into both his police arrests and unsolved crimes...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,906
    The fact that the achievements of the last Labour government got cheered was a big deal, but really shouldn’t be.
  • Options
    Not something that had occurred to me

@DavidHerdson

4h
    Not many masks on show at the #LabourConference, in sharp contrast to in parliament.

Rather suggests that the MPs' efforts are for show, and the stance gets dropped when there aren't Tories to contrast against.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    isam said:

gealbhan said:

The police have a credibility problem, for sure. But resisting arrest is almost certainly asking for trouble.

The “Wayne Couzens” defence ain’t gonna get you very far.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The fact that the achievements of the last Labour government got cheered was a big deal, but really shouldn’t be.

At least it shows that quite a few of those in the room might actually want to get into government.
  • Options
    isam said:

gealbhan said:

Because resist and you have a significant chance of extra charges and will get caught eventually or have to live on the run for many years. Don't resist you have a tiny chance of it being a rogue cop planning to attack you.

It is a simple gamble with the don't resist side clearly superior for nearly everyone. It is a terrible case and police do need reform (any other PCs nicknamed the rapist or similar should not be working!), but it doesn't help to make it into something it is not.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,379

JohnO said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

@bigjohnowls

Are you sure?
    Makes their performances even more depressing doesn't it?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

gealbhan said:

That case was 'arrest' by a single cop. Two of them (esp if one is female) is inherently safer, but not 100% [edit] if only on strict logic.
    Just remember the police think NOT sacking this cop was a good idea.

Police officer caught on camera threatening to 'make something up' to arrest man allowed to keep job

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-officer-caught-camera-threatening-21438074

The police deserve nothing but opprobrium.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    ping said:

isam said:

gealbhan said:

The police have a credibility problem, for sure. But resisting arrest is almost certainly asking for trouble.
    The lawyer of the next scumbag done for resisting arrest, is going to have a field day with the police.

Why should anyone trust one policeman on his own, now that a scumbag officer used his warrant card to murder a random person picked off the street?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,612
    GIN1138 said:

We'll probably all end up back with British Gas and British Gas renationalized... Back to the 70's. Hey we've got ABBA back so why not! :D
    As a precursor of that it is already the case that not one of the building societies that went shareholder owned survives today as an independent bank
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Not something that had occurred to me

@DavidHerdson

4h
    Not many masks on show at the #LabourConference, in sharp contrast to in parliament.

Rather suggests that the MPs' efforts are for show, and the stance gets dropped when there aren't Tories to contrast against.

Possibly.

Or, having spent the whole night before rammed up against each other in packed bars and clubs, it seemed pointless in the hall?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

isam said:

gealbhan said:

Just remember the police think NOT sacking this cop was a good idea.

Police officer caught on camera threatening to 'make something up' to arrest man allowed to keep job

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-officer-caught-camera-threatening-21438074

The police deserve nothing but opprobrium.
    Not always. when a friend committed suicide a few years back, the Cambridgeshire police who dealt with me were professional, polite and caring. It can't have been easy for them, and I sent a note of thanks to the police station.

A while later, I got a call back from a high-ranking officer thanking me for the note, and saying it was rare to get a thankyou note. Again, that was appreciated.
  • Options
    Another reason why Boris Johnson and Priti Patel are absolute [moderated].

They renewed the term of that [another moderated] Cressida Dick.

Fuck Brexit, Boris Johnson deserves to be ousted for that alone.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    edited September 2021
    isam said:

gealbhan said:

Many PB Leavers dispute that immigration was the driver. They say it was about all sorts of other things such as cutting Brussels red tape and being "nimble" on foreign & trade policy.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,134

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

@bigjohnowls

We are not in Chicago and that is why we call it Scotch.

ETA maybe the Scots call it whisky? In my very limited experience, a wee dram.
    This is a weirdo PB thing (or maybe it's just Ishmael).

For some reason, some people take umbrage with the precision.

Of course, Scotch is fine – and offers more detail. There are several types of whisk(e)y, chiefly Scotch, Irish, American Rye and Bourbon... (but also Welsh, English, Japanese...)

• Options

What is going to make an impact on Labour in the polls, is how this is reported.

"The left vs Keir Starmer", he'll get a big increase in support, I think.

Nothing to do with the fuel crisis then all down to this riveting performance
    You are changing the rules.

Everyone knows Governments lose elections, Oppositions don't win them, but for you this won't count in Starmer's case... should it happen.
    Well todays YG says SKS has gone backward on every measure so if the fuel crisis gives them a temporary lead it is down to temporary factors and will be temporary.

SKs is a loser and Pete I believe if you were honest you believe the same.

Andy Burnham would be 20pts ahead in the Polls IMO
    There would be a shortage of eyeliner if Burnham was on telly regularly.n
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Off-topic:

Well, she's certainly not *rational*.

The funny thing is, apparently many of his friends know he's been vaccinated, and it's only a matter of time before she finds out. There may be troubles ahead ...
  • Options
    isam said:

The biggest shop on Romford Market, Debenhams, is being turned into an Islamic Shopping Centre & Mosque

Good news eh? @Stuartinromford

No mention of a mosque here-
    https://www.time1075.net/172004-2-romford-debenhams-to-become-superstore/

There's mention of a prayer room on the website https://akluplaza.co.uk/ but not much space for it in the floor plans.

Otherwise, it sounds like a version of the Shopping Hall that happens to be run by some successful Asian shopkeepers. Best of luck to them.

Better that than another empty shell like the adjacent Littlewoods/Index site. That's been abandoned for nearly 20 years.

So new businesses that will attract people to Romford, unless they're allergic to Asians. Sounds like good news, eh?
This discussion has been closed.