Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Raab be in trouble at Esher and Walton? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

All the Tories who said Starmer was weak and useless, I am sure will be straight out to call BoJo the same, after Raab just pulled the same move.

Anyone? Anyone?

Rayner just called Gavin Williamson a “prat”. Government in waiting?

When it comes to Rayner, Starmer is weak and useless.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

Hold on, has Raab just done an Angela Rayner on Johnson

How does Raab have enough clout to do that? Why does Johnson have to give a fuck what Raab says or does?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Rishi staying as Chancellor

So he’s sticking around to deliver the bad news, after spending the last 18 months throwing money like confetti out of the Treasury windows.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited September 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Is Raab's movement actually a demotion ?
    Slight I'd say.

US veep = bucket of warm piss

UK DPM = same raised to power of a googol AND without the succession rights which make VPdom slightly more attractive than a used prophylactic.

Put it another way, he has been sent to sit on the Cleggy step.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

How does Raab have enough clout to do that? Why does Johnson have to give a fuck what Raab says or does?
    He must have ammo, there's no other logical explanation
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Dura_Ace said:

Seems like a straight demotion to me. Previously foreign secretary and deputy prime minister, now justice secretary and deputy prime minister.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

All the Tories who said Starmer was weak and useless, I am sure will be straight out to call BoJo the same, after Raab just pulled the same move.

Anyone? Anyone?

Rayner’s directly elected by the membership, she doesn’t report to Starmer.
  • Options
    Have to laugh at the idea of Raaaaaab as Deputy PM. Having just utterly shirked his responsibilities as Foreign Secretary he is now to be relied upon to run the country when Worzel is off to find a cup of tea and a slice of cake for his latest Aunt Sally.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

I guess Boris can't make his 'fire and rehire' gag about Labour's deputy leader anymore.

Although I suppose at least with Raab it didn't take days.

Whatever faults Raab has are dwarfed by Ms Rayner.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    gealbhan said:

Anyone? Anyone?

What, today?

My respect for her increases (from an absolute zero baseline)
  • Options

Amanda Milling sacked

Sky politics man says at least Milling doesn't have to buy the drinks at the conference now.

:smile:
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

Have to laugh at the idea of Raaaaaab as Deputy PM. Having just utterly shirked his responsibilities as Foreign Secretary he is now to be relied upon to run the country when Worzel is off to find a cup of tea and a slice of cake for his latest Aunt Sally.

He already was, it even happened last year when Boris was incapacitated. Being Deputy PM makes no difference, he was already the deputy with another title.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    gealbhan said:

Anyone? Anyone?

Well, she's not wrong.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited September 2021
    Sandpit said:

gealbhan said:

Anyone? Anyone?

It is evident that whilst gealbhan has a good political knowledge - and I am sure much better knowledge than me on most things - their Labour knowledge is dreadful.
  • Options
    Patel confirmed as Home Secretary
  • Options
    It’s been a privilege and an honour to be the Co-Chairman of the Conservative Party.

Thank you to the voluntary party and the team at CCHQ for their support.

Thank you to @BorisJohnson for this opportunity. I will continue working to deliver on our plans to level up the UK.

https://twitter.com/amandamilling/status/1438149276853489664?s=20
  • Options
    Priti is saved!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Definitely. He unsacked himself.
    I wonder how many "er er er"s Bozo did in that conversation: "well, er er er Dominic, yes, well, er er er, please don't get so er er er, jolly cross, how about I whizz you the er er er, post of Deputy PM eh, wot? "not enough, oh er er er.... let me ask Carrie...er er er, she says sack you, er er er, no can't do that cam we, er er er? "
  • Options
    Priti Useless Patel, God help us all
  • Options
    Michael Gove into no 10
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Seems like a straight demotion to me. Previously foreign secretary and deputy prime minister, now justice secretary and deputy prime minister.
    I mistakenly thought he was DPM as well, however he was only that whilst BJ was incapable, it was just a one off temporary role which he lost when the PM came back.
  • Options

Botched reshuffle!

Boris should have moved Rishi to FO and Truss into number 11.

Why? PM and Chancellor not on same page on spending is vote losing trouble.
  • Options

Ardern is a classic Wokey. Attack the historic and culture of your own country, and meanwhile cosy up to modern nasty authoritarian regimes and bat away any issues with Whataboutery for an extra buck.

No wonder the Chinese love her.

She won a landslide, she's obviously popular in New Zealand.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Pritti stays at Home Office so why did she go to Downing Street?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

Michael Gove into no 10

Education?
  • Options

RobD said:

Dura_Ace said:

I mistakenly thought he was DPM as well, however he was only that whilst BJ was incapable, it was just a one off temporary role which he lost when the PM came back.
    Ah, I was getting it mixed up with first secretary of state. Then it seems like a bauble to me.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,991

Amanda Milling sacked

Who?
  • Options

Priti is saved!

maybe she knows where the Bozo bodies are? Or perhaps babies?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

In your language.. Deputy PM and Lord Chancellor means nothing.

It's just a sympathy fuck.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

It's a bit odd isn't it ?

I didn't think people not being shuffled or sacked or promoted bothered.

Patel seems to have had no movement at all yet went in, is that a first ?
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Botched reshuffle!

Boris should have moved Rishi to FO and Truss into number 11.

Why? PM and Chancellor not on same page on spending is vote losing trouble.
    You think Truss is a believer in Johnson's cash bonanzas?
  • Options
    Utter comedy if Gove comes back as new Education Secretary.
  • Options

Not sure but maybe just confirmation of one of the senior offices of state
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812

To help Boris push the boat out on his reshuffle?
  • Options
    Deleted tweet:

• Options

Michael Gove into no 10

Education?
    Local government is the rumour. In charge of “levelling-up”
  • Options

Ardern is a classic Wokey. Attack the historic and culture of your own country, and meanwhile cosy up to modern nasty authoritarian regimes and bat away any issues with Whataboutery for an extra buck.

She did, but the shine is starting to come off.
  • Options
    Oliver Dowden into no 10

Education ?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Done a Geoffrey Howe.

Demoted from the Foreign Office but made it look good with getting the title Deputy Prime Minister.

Narrator: 15 months later Howe helped topple Thatcher.
    I'm too lazy to check, but how long was it from the Night of the Long Knives to Supermac's resignation?

And who is this government's Lord Home?
    Again it was 15 months - July 62 - Oct 63
  • Options

Boris won a landslide too on about only 5% less of the vote share, I dont think that inures him from criticism at home or abroad. Arden is surely not perfect even if she is very popular in NZ.
  • Options

Done a Geoffrey Howe.

Demoted from the Foreign Office but made it look good with getting the title Deputy Prime Minister.

Narrator: 15 months later Howe helped topple Thatcher.
    Surely that comparison won't have been lost on Boris. Did he do it just to humiliate Raab: 'This is what great prime ministers do to their miserable little underlings but you won't have the spunk to take revenge.'?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Boris won a landslide too on about only 5% less of the vote share, I dont think that inures him from criticism at home or abroad. Arden is surely not perfect even if she is very popular in NZ.
    No it's just that there's an opinion that the so-called "woke" (or whatever that means, for goodness sake Ardern ran on immigration controls) can't win elections, when Jacinda did.

Much to learn for Starmer from her.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

Pulpstar said:

I can't see the point of all the private suppliers. Might as well make a British EDF.
    The neoliberal ideal of a competitive market for everything is dying a long slow painful death. At last.

For energy, last time I looked there was only one supply coming into our house. The 'market' is an artifice.

How is it efficient to have savvy consumers being switched from one seller to another every year (with all the admin, call centre support etc. that that requires) whilst the non-savvy, vulnerable and cant-be-arsed subsidise those of us who switch?
    Indeed.
    Sean_F said:

O/T but it looks as if Trudeau's bounce in the polls from the debates has faded, and the Conservatives are back in the lead.

The recent con leads are all from rolling polls with small sample sizes. Punters beware.
  • Options

She did, but the shine is starting to come off.
    You should hear what the Kiwis stuck in the sandpit have to say about her!

Most of them are redundant workers from oil & gas, aviation, logistics and private security industries, who are being quoted April for return dates, and are sofa-surfing until then.
  • Options
    Beth Rigby just said she wants a good Christmas this year! Don't we all. Not sure why she didn't last year.....
  • Options

Sandpit said:

gealbhan said:

Anyone? Anyone?

It is evident that whilst gealbhan has a good political knowledge - and I am sure much better knowledge than me on most things - their Labour knowledge is dreadful.
    Nonsense. I have explained on here exactly how it’s done. Two thirds vote on the NEC abolishes Angela Rayner.

You haven’t been paying attention. 😆
  • Options
    Quite amusing that the BBC slips this news out when eyes are elsewhere, a tactic beloved of this government (eg the Friday afternoon press release bonanza)

https://twitter.com/skynewsniall/status/1438152398384533505?s=20
  • Options

Beth Rigby just said she wants a good Christmas this year! Don't we all. Not sure why she didn't last year.....

Oh, well if Beth Rigby wants a good Christmas this year that's another matter entirely. Why didn't she say so earlier?
  • Options

Remember, Diane Abbott was the alternative at the last GE.
    Thankfully Abbott has gone - and Patel is still around.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

RobD said:

Dura_Ace said:

No no no. He wasn't DPM at any point, but he was appointed to act as deputy (lower case). He was First Secretary indicating he was to be considered, well, first amongst them, and thus it was no surprise he was picked to deputize. Some past First Secretaries have been referred to as deputy PMs despite not holding that role.

I'm not crazy am I, I'm sure that is the situation as was?

It certainly is a bauble as RobD says since we often dont have one and were Boris to disappear theres no guarantee hed be picked as PM.
  • Options
    The Rt Hon Priti Patel MP @PritiPatel remains Secretary of State for the Home Department @UKHomeOffice
    #Reshuffle

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1438152707764801536?s=20
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It's a bit odd isn't it ?

I didn't think people not being shuffled or sacked or promoted bothered.

Patel seems to have had no movement at all yet went in, is that a first ?
    Other meetings happen in Downing Street.
  • Options
    Apparently Raab was also offered the role of Second Best Priest but turned it down.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Aslan said:

President Joe Biden will announce a new working group with Britain and Australia to share advanced technologies in a thinly veiled bid to counter China, a White House official and a Congressional staffer told POLITICO.

The trio, which will be known by the acronym AUUKUS, will make it easier for the nations to share information and know-how in key technological areas like artificial intelligence, cyber, underwater systems and long-range strike capabilities

One of the people said there will be a nuclear element to the pact in which the U.S. and U.K. share their knowledge of how to maintain nuclear-defense infrastructure.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/15/biden-deal-uk-australia-defense-tech-sharing-511877

Australian rumours that they may junk their French sub deal.....

Great news. Terrible acronym.
    AUKUS would work better. Drop the double-u's.
    Yes, it would not only be more pronouncable ('Orcus') but more consistent - Australia is a one-word country. We don't need the U. It's not at all unclear which country beginning with A it refers to.

Perhaps Uganda is involved?
  • Options

kle4 said:

No it's just that there's an opinion that the so-called "woke" (or whatever that means, for goodness sake Ardern ran on immigration controls) can't win elections, when Jacinda did.

She won a Covid election at a time when NZ had zero cases, we were entering new lockdowns here and there were no vaccinations on the horizon.

It's a different beast.

[PS. And you know very well what "woke" means - and I even just explained it to you. People who claim they don't simply don't want to engage with it in case it means they have to do the very hard work of having to think and revise their worldview.]
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

gealbhan said:

Anyone? Anyone?

You haven’t be paying attention to politics either.

The Corbynista sharpened the guillotine for Watson, Corbyn called the execution off late in the day.

Back to your pit, of sand.
  • Options
    Truss in according to Sky.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Aslan said:

President Joe Biden will announce a new working group with Britain and Australia to share advanced technologies in a thinly veiled bid to counter China, a White House official and a Congressional staffer told POLITICO.

The trio, which will be known by the acronym AUUKUS, will make it easier for the nations to share information and know-how in key technological areas like artificial intelligence, cyber, underwater systems and long-range strike capabilities

One of the people said there will be a nuclear element to the pact in which the U.S. and U.K. share their knowledge of how to maintain nuclear-defense infrastructure.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/15/biden-deal-uk-australia-defense-tech-sharing-511877

Australian rumours that they may junk their French sub deal.....

Great news. Terrible acronym.
    AUKUS would work better. Drop the double-u's.
    Yes, it would not only be more pronouncable ('Orcus') but more consistent - Australia is a one-word country. We don't need the U. It's not at all unclear which country beginning with A it refers to.

Perhaps Uganda is involved?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

Quite amusing that the BBC slips this news out when eyes are elsewhere, a tactic beloved of this government (eg the Friday afternoon press release bonanza)

https://twitter.com/skynewsniall/status/1438152398384533505?s=20

Nah, I don't think the BBC will be ashamed of the fact that they can't be leaned on by a Tory party apparatchik.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,448

He's already done it, Rochdale. He stood in while Boris was in hospital.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611

Michael Gove into no 10

Jeez.
    Don't say stuff like that.
  • Options
    Sky saying Theresa Coffey to stay
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

With a promotion to Foreign Secretary looking very likely, and probably a shortening of her price for next PM.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,756
    Fishing said:

Peston gets it wrong yet again:

@Peston
    With @MattHancock forced out a few weeks ago and Robert Buckland sacked today, @OliverDowden may be the last member of the cabinet who campaigned against Brexit

And Hancock wasn't exactly forced out, was he? His own libido and egregious incompetence caught up to him, I thought.
    Well, consider who remained in cabinet despite ...
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Doesn't seem to be much movement generally on betting markets. You can still get 14s about Truss for next leader.
  • Options

Please do not remind us of the paucity of talent amongst our political "elite"! Most of the people in positions of seniority in our political parties would struggle to get above middle management in any half decent corporate company. The choice between Johnson and Corbyn at the last election was like voting for dumb or dumber. A polemicist journalist who comes across like a game show host or a left wing career contrarian with two Es at A-level. What choice for one of the leading so-called democracies of the world.
  • Options

kle4 said:

She won a Covid election at a time when NZ had zero cases, we were entering new lockdowns here and there were no vaccinations on the horizon.

It's a different beast.

[PS. And you know very well what "woke" means - and I even just explained it to you. People who claim they don't simply don't want to engage with it in case it means they have to do the very hard work of having to think and revise their worldview.]
    Woke: alert to injustice in society, especially racism.

I am proudly woke and I hope any decent PM in the world is too.
  • Options

Please do not remind us of the paucity of talent amongst our political "elite"! Most of the people in positions of seniority in our political parties would struggle to get above middle management in any half decent corporate company. The choice between Johnson and Corbyn at the last election was like voting for dumb or dumber. A polemicist journalist who comes across like a game show host or a left wing career contrarian with two Es at A-level. What choice for one of the leading so-called democracies of the world.
    However, that lot are gone, the country said no and Labour listened. Bye bye.

However the other lot are still there. 2019 is over.
  • Options
    Sky confirmed Liz Truss as Foreign Secretary

Next leader?
  • Options

kle4 said:

I dont think casino meant being woke means you cannot win though. He might well prefer it if thay was the case.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I dont think casino meant being woke means you cannot win though. He might well prefer it if thay was the case.
    There is an opinion by some on this board that being woke means you instantly lose elections. I strongly disagree.

Being alert to injustice in society, especially racism - the actual definition - is something any PM should be.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Michael Gove into no 10

Jeez.
    Don't say stuff like that.
    haha, I thought the same. When I saw that I did think for a moment that perhaps Johnson had messed up on the back of his fag packet and reshuffled himself!
  • Options

kle4 said:

It's a different beast.

So why are so many of those who consider themselves ‘woke’, actually quite racist? Can’t we all just be colour-blind, and not try and bring race into everything?
  • Options
    Anyway, I am off for a run, hope you all have a nice afternoon
  • Options

The Rt Hon Priti Patel MP @PritiPatel remains Secretary of State for the Home Department @UKHomeOffice
    #Reshuffle

Rt Hon remains Rt Hon.

Actually I think people keep the Rt Hon after losing the position they were granted it for (because its tied to Privy Council?) so it's a rare example of us being like the American practice of referring to former office holders by their old title?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,756

If Westminster does not play ball, the long-standing Scottish nationalist plan for negotiated independence collapses. Even if moderate independence supporters were on board with a Scottish UDI – a big ‘if’ – no country Scotland would want as an ally will recognise its independence against the wishes of the British government. Whatever the current state of the transatlantic alliance, no American President would recognise an independent Scotland against the wishes of Downing Street. Spain would not countenance a ‘breakaway’ state’s accession to the EU: that’s why it accepts Montenegro’s candidacy (because it separated with the consent of Serbia) but not Kosovo’s (because it separated from Serbia without its consent). Even China and Russia might balk at recognising Scotland, mindful of their own separatist problems. So a Scottish government seeking recognition in these circumstances would meet the same flat refusal as that encountered by Éamon de Valera’s emissaries to Woodrow Wilson and Georges Clemenceau in 1919, and Scotland would not be a recognised independent state.

https://constitution-unit.com/2021/09/15/scotlands-place-in-the-union-will-not-be-decided-in-the-courts-only-politicians-can-enable-or-prevent-independence/

"Ciaran Martin is Professor of Practice at the Blavatnik School of Government, University of Oxford. From 2011-14 he served as Constitution Director in the Cabinet Office."

2014, NB.
  • Options
    Thoughts and prayers for the Tory Taliban.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

It's a different beast.

So why are so many of those who consider themselves ‘woke’, actually quite racist? Can’t we all just be colour-blind, and not try and bring race into everything?
    Because those people are idiots - and I don't associate with such people. I am actually woke, by the definition that is the correct one.

I am alert to injustice in society as I want to create a more equal society for all, that is why I am a Labour man.

Now, to the outdoors!
  • Options

Next leader?

Gender balanced Great Offices too, for anyone who cares.
  • Options

Next leader?

Could well be. Might top up on her.

Although there's an old saw in politics about keeping the seekers of the throne at Foreign office as they are out of the country all the time so no politicking in Westminster on the quiet.
  • Options

Yes, but...Angela Rayner ffs!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Next leader?

Gender balanced Great Offices too, for anyone who cares.
    Yes and it is interesting Truss and Rishi are 1 and 2 in Conhome
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

It's a different beast.

Because those people are idiots - and I don't associate with such people. I am actually woke, by the definition that is the correct one.

I am alert to injustice in society as I want to create a more equal society for all, that is why I am a Labour man.

Now, to the outdoors!
    I agree mostly, except the Labour bit..

:)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,194
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

BBC News - "Doubts over Patel"

That would be a biggie. She's the darling of The Daily Express.
    Careful what you wish for. If Patel gets replaced, it’ll be because she’s failed to stop the boats - and that’s what will be top of the inbox for the new HS.
    I'd love it to be Gove.
    The rumour is Gove to “Minister for levelling-up the North”.
    Nah, after his dancing exploits, to the Ministry of Sound.
  • Options
    Truss at 8.4

Wildly popular with the grassroots apparently.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

#Reshuffle

Rt Hon remains Rt Hon.

Actually I think people keep the Rt Hon after losing the position they were granted it for (because its tied to Privy Council?) so it's a rare example of us being like the American practice of referring to former office holders by their old title?
    Also, what do you test to a sacked minister?

U Rt, Hon?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Truss at 8.4

Does she pass the "can you see her on the step of No 10" test? Not sure.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929

That’s because the country said yes to them
  • Options
    I think @Casino_Royale is right to be bearish on Jacinda's future prospects, actually.

She won the election, as he implies, during a perfect storm for her: zero covid cases, no vaccines anywhere and a sharp contrast with the Old Country (to which NZ has a massive inferiority complex): No restrictions in Auckland. London shut.

Now, the situation is the exact opposite. Extreme restrictions in Auckland (and the ever-present and immediate hair-trigger threat of them even when unlocked, because of NZ's utterly dire vaccination rates). London free.

What is her next move? At some point she has to open the borders (and thus accept the cases that she has made a huge show of 'eliminating') because NZ will ultimately collapse economically without international visitors.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It's a different beast.

It's been done to death, how people act while being 'woke' differs and what it means to people is not the same.

Some self labelled as woke are pretty unwoke in practice and someone might reject the label but still be alert to injustice.

That's why whether someone is proud to be woke matters not in my opinion, since its actions that matter, and an unwoke but reasonable leader would be better than one who is woke but crap. And indeed reasonable and woke bettervthsn unwoke and crap.

If used as shorthand for morals it's nonsense.
  • Options

Truss at 8.4

She’s definitely a contender now, when there’s next a vacancy.
  • Options
    Mad Nad into No. 10.

Time to get worried...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611
    I note Boris has knifed his prominent cabinet leadership supporters. TBF, a couple of them richly deserved it (Buckland a bit less so), but there is an element of boat burning about this.
    Should the economy turn really sticky, there might be a reshuffle of PM ahead of the next election ?
This discussion has been closed.