Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Raab be in trouble at Esher and Walton? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    Scott_xP said:

Jenrick jettisoned

Boris has grown some cojones.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Jenrick jettisoned

Sorting the chaff from the chaff.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

The argument is not about trans rights. The reality is that there are no legal rights which other groups have which trans people lack. Women have no issue with people with gender dysphoria getting the help, resources and kindness and care they need.

The argument is about women's rights which will be seriously harmed and diminished if the gender ideologists gets their way, gender ideologists who care little for doing anything practical for people with gender dysphoria.

One final point gender ideology is, when you think about it, based on very old-fashioned stereotypes. It assumes that if you are a "butch" girl, a tomboy you must therefore be a boy. Or that if you are a more "feminine" sort of man you must be a girl. This is of course nonsense. These are the sorts of stereotypes which feminism has tried to move away from. Quite why they should now be seen as something to be applauded let alone used as the basis for legislation and medical experimentation on children of a most gruesome kind is beyond me.

I stand for the rights of women. I stand for the rights of people who have gender dysphoria. I stand for the rights of gay people whose sexuality is based on sex not on gender. I do not stand for trans activists who seek attack women and gay people and who do nothing for those with gender dysphoria.

And the reason I feel strongly about this is not just because I am a woman and a feminist. But because I have a gay child and one who went through some of the issues which some gay adolescents go through (worrying about whether he might be trans etc). He is now happily gay and probably quite a feminine sort of man. But who cares? Plus I am a trustee of a primary school and there are some very serious issues around safeguarding which are raised by this ideology.

So apologies for boring you all. But this is an important issue and one which will affect my vote. I will not vote for a party which makes self-ID part of its offering. I will not vote for a party which does not make the maintenance of women's' rights and the sex-based rights under the various Acts which women have had to fight for long and hard over decades a fundamental part of its offering. I will not vote for a party which adopts policies undermining the reality of same sex attraction. I will not vote for a party which thinks that being a woman "is an attitude". Womanhood is a reality not a "feeling".

This is a very male forum. I make no apologies for occasionally bringing a female perspective to it.

Excellent post. I don't think you are bringing a female perspective into it. I think you are bringing rationality into it.
    Oddly, many women and feminists disagree with Ms Free's views on this. Including Mrs J. Ms Free does speak from her own perspective, not that of all women or feminists.

The problem is not that this forum is too male: it's that we don't have many trans voices. I know we had one openly-trans poster, whom I sadly don't think has posted for a while. (As I recall, his views were not always as I'd expect, which was brilliant.)

I have known trans people, and one - a good friend - committed suicide. I still miss him. I have also directly seen others being bullied sniggered at etc in offices and on the street. This is the other side of the equation that Ms Free always rejects, e.g. when she outhandedly rejects Stonewall's figures. Behaviour that would be socially unacceptable towards gays or lesbians is fine against too many trans people. I have witnessed this first hand over the years.

I am not a 'gender idealist'. It's just that I accept the world is non-binary; and not just in the case of intersex people. The world is not as neat and tidy as some people want. So we can either accept that it is not tidy, or try to force people into pigeonholes. That latter approach is the one used throughout history, and has led to all sorts of pain for individuals who are different. I prefer the former approach.

I have sympathy for some of her points. Growing up is confusing for many people, and encouraging people to convert as children makes me very uneasy. I don't think changing gender should be made easier. The use of chemicals on children - especially pre-puberty - is wrong IMO.

But too many trans people don't face real issues and dangers that the rest of us do not.

I am not trans. I have no inclination to be, and never have. I am also not a woman. So perhaps I should have no voice in the matter. But those are my views.
    And yet - in this one particular respect - the world IS neat and tidy. Everyone is born either a male or a female. They may not want to live a stereotypically male or female life, and we should not force them to do so - but biological non-binarism(?) is a fiction.
    "Everyone is born either a male or a female."

Not everyone is born either male or a female. Biologically, there are intersex people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex
    Indeed it is 1.7% of the population. So more common than twins.
  • Options
    Yep - French deal a gonner:

#breaking United States has confirmed it will help Australia identify the best way to acquire nuclear powered submarine capability

https://twitter.com/AndrewBGreene/status/1438127928181547011?s=20
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,849

Scott_xP said:

Jenrick jettisoned

Sorting the chaff from the chaff.
    Not very chuffed
  • Options
    You can get 8.2 on Raab keeping his job. Any takers?
  • Options

Mr Herdson, late of this parish:

Hello Jacinda. This is what comes of playing too much on Team China.

It's also a she-buke for Canada.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Jenrick jettisoned

We haven't seen the new appointees yet!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Ben Wallace voted Remain.

So yet again Peston gets it spectacularly wrong on every possible level!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

Peston gets it wrong yet again:

@Peston
    With @MattHancock forced out a few weeks ago and Robert Buckland sacked today, @OliverDowden may be the last member of the cabinet who campaigned against Brexit

It's not hard to Google, Mr Peston, rather then speculate.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Gav defenestrated

Sounds painful
    Depends what you land on. The victims of the 1618 Defenestration of Prague allegedly landed on a midden.
    Having looked out of that window, it must have been an exceptionally large or soft midden...
  • Options
    O/T the situation with people WFH for Local Authorities has to end as people are simply not working. We have carried our projects for LAs for the past 15 years, it makes up about 40% of our work. Since Covid struck, but more especially this year, they have been impossible to deal with. You cannot speak to anyone on telephone, emails are not answered, the whole system has ground to a halt.

The biggest issue is payments. I have just written a lengthy email to the CE of a LA as we have invoices amouting to £800k outstanding, some for over 6 months. All the invoices have been approved for payment apparently but no payment has been forthcoming. The excuse we get is internal issues. This LA is not unusual and all contractors are suffering similar delays.

There is no accountability and no one within the LA cares. They are behaving like they are on Furlough.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It has been an honour to serve in Government for the last 7 years, and as the Lord Chancellor for the last 2.

I am deeply proud of everything I have achieved. On to the next adventure

https://twitter.com/RobertBuckland/status/1438126691864518663?s=20

Why has he got the heave-ho, isn't he one of the solid ones?
    The stories are that Boris Johnson wants someone who is prepared to shred the ECHR and a wider assault on the judiciary.

At the time Buckland was furious about the internal market bill so I suspect he's not the man Boris Johnson wants for those policies.
    Yes, lead with Williamson to make people happy so hopefully they dont notice if minister screw the judges gets appointed.
    "a wider assault on the judiciary."

Really? Johnson? That was one of Cummings mad pet schemes. I didn't think anyone else gave a hoot about it now that Brexit is done.
  • Options

#breaking United States has confirmed it will help Australia identify the best way to acquire nuclear powered submarine capability

In all the cabinet reshuffle this decision re US - UK - AUS is quite a slap in the face for France, Canada and NZ
  • Options

kle4 said:

It has been an honour to serve in Government for the last 7 years, and as the Lord Chancellor for the last 2.

I am deeply proud of everything I have achieved. On to the next adventure

https://twitter.com/RobertBuckland/status/1438126691864518663?s=20

Why has he got the heave-ho, isn't he one of the solid ones?
    The stories are that Boris Johnson wants someone who is prepared to shred the ECHR and a wider assault on the judiciary.

At the time Buckland was furious about the internal market bill so I suspect he's not the man Boris Johnson wants for those policies.
    Yes, lead with Williamson to make people happy so hopefully they dont notice if minister screw the judges gets appointed.
    "a wider assault on the judiciary."

Really? Johnson? That was one of Cummings mad pet schemes. I didn't think anyone else gave a hoot about it now that Brexit is done.
    I hope not, theres enough problems at justice without following through on their manifesto (which was blandly written but intent clear).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021
    When is the government start to get really tough on this?

Belgrave Street, Stepney. Man has been stabbed in the back and face after an altercation You can’t trust anyone these days. Please stay safe Folded hands #IG1IG3

https://twitter.com/CrimeLdn/,,,

I haven't put the full link, as I am not sure people want to click on it...but the weapons used aren't just a small penknife, increasingly the yuff are carrying around absolutely enormous weapons that have only one use.
  • Options

Wow. That's big news. The sub deal with the French was genius - for the French.

I wonder why Oz just doesn't try to refresh the deal they nearly had with the Japs - I don't think they've finished building the Soryu class.

But nuclear-powered makes it doubly interesting news - any chances of a sale of an Astute class variant? ;)
  • Options
    Well, that's the bottom 3 from this poll:

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    edited September 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Jenrick jettisoned

Planning reforms to be ditched to save the Blue Wall of S East England?
  • Options
    Sackings so far: Williamson (whipped Johnson's 2019 leadership campaign), Buckland (early Remainer endorsement), Jenrick (crucial endorsement with Sunak/Dowden). Maybe next: Milling (worked on his 2016 leadership campaign). Not a reshuffle to reward loyalty...
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1438134928957390856
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Jenrick jettisoned

Planning reforms to be ditched to save the Blue Wall of S East England?
    Already ditched. Jenkins is the scapegoat.
  • Options
    Still no news from Raab's team and no resolution to his talks with PM - on a day like this implication is that things are not entirely well, and he doesn't want to take whatever he's being offered instead of Foreign Office job http://bbc.in/3ny879x
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 483
    Farooq said:

PJH said:

Pulpstar said:

I can't see the point of all the private suppliers. Might as well make a British EDF.
    I think there are three aspects to the electrical power economy:
    1) Generation.
    2) Nationwide distribution
    3) Supply to market

Generation can be made from a whole host of sources; traditionally coal, but now nuclear, gas, wind, solar and interconnector. There are so many that competition and innovation can be rife, and it seems sensible to be in the private sector - albeit with subsidies for some.

The distribution is via the National Grid. This is an area where innovation is generally slow, and competition very difficult to put in place.

The supply to market is done via a series of companies, some very prone to rises in the wholesale prices. Competition is rife, but room for innovation is relatively low.

This is all made more complex by some companies having fingers in both the generation and supply markets, with distribution done via the NG.

(Someone will doubtless correct me if this is wrong...)

So the way I see it, generation should remain private. Distribution could be private or state-owned; I don't think it makes much of a difference. The supply to market at the moment is messy, and I don't think people as a whole benefit from the current structure. It needs a drastic restructuring - either nationalisation or something else.

But sadly I don't see much of anything we do actually decreasing prices by any significant margin.
    I've always been puzzled by what exactly a different supplier brings to me as a domestic customer. Snazzier logo on the bill? Otherwise it's the same electricity from the same generator brought to me down the same wire from the same grid as I had yesterday.

It is right that generation should be private (lots of opportunities for competition) but the rest? Surely a single infrastructure operator from that point on is all we need, who can choose to contract out any or all of their activities in the most cost-effective way. And surely they are more likely to identify the most efficient billing/meter reading supplier than I am?
    Not sure about that. It's not just competitiveness that counts here: energy is a strategic resource that impacts on public heath, defence, all sorts. Those things need at the very least a level of public oversight.
    Well, I do agree, but I was thinking about where the (supposed) benefit from competition is best realised. Anything like this would be highly regulated whatever the setup. If the infrastructure is in state hands then they can set standards for generators in the supply contracts, or ensure there is a minimum onshore UK capacity, etc.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,217
    Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

The argument is not about trans rights. The reality is that there are no legal rights which other groups have which trans people lack. Women have no issue with people with gender dysphoria getting the help, resources and kindness and care they need.

The argument is about women's rights which will be seriously harmed and diminished if the gender ideologists gets their way, gender ideologists who care little for doing anything practical for people with gender dysphoria.

One final point gender ideology is, when you think about it, based on very old-fashioned stereotypes. It assumes that if you are a "butch" girl, a tomboy you must therefore be a boy. Or that if you are a more "feminine" sort of man you must be a girl. This is of course nonsense. These are the sorts of stereotypes which feminism has tried to move away from. Quite why they should now be seen as something to be applauded let alone used as the basis for legislation and medical experimentation on children of a most gruesome kind is beyond me.

I stand for the rights of women. I stand for the rights of people who have gender dysphoria. I stand for the rights of gay people whose sexuality is based on sex not on gender. I do not stand for trans activists who seek attack women and gay people and who do nothing for those with gender dysphoria.

And the reason I feel strongly about this is not just because I am a woman and a feminist. But because I have a gay child and one who went through some of the issues which some gay adolescents go through (worrying about whether he might be trans etc). He is now happily gay and probably quite a feminine sort of man. But who cares? Plus I am a trustee of a primary school and there are some very serious issues around safeguarding which are raised by this ideology.

So apologies for boring you all. But this is an important issue and one which will affect my vote. I will not vote for a party which makes self-ID part of its offering. I will not vote for a party which does not make the maintenance of women's' rights and the sex-based rights under the various Acts which women have had to fight for long and hard over decades a fundamental part of its offering. I will not vote for a party which adopts policies undermining the reality of same sex attraction. I will not vote for a party which thinks that being a woman "is an attitude". Womanhood is a reality not a "feeling".

This is a very male forum. I make no apologies for occasionally bringing a female perspective to it.

Not 100% sure what makes this a very male forum. Is an appreciation of good wine, food and the pre-Boris Conservatives particularly male?

But someone who is involved in this debate if there are sides then on the "trans" side (awful categorisation apols) said that one of the reasons that "trans rights" is important is because those opposed "anti-trans" are quite often on the generally bigoted, political correctness gone mad, white lives matter, men get raped too, er, male end of the political spectrum.

The veneer might be to rail against male to female MMA contestants but there is often a deeper and more sinister world view beneath.
    I tend not to get involved with this argument, partly because I’m a cis het norm male - and also because the argument is so complex - and vicious. Truly nasty

But FWIW I know plenty of women - mainly on the left, some on the right - who completely agree with Cyclefree. Word for word
    Yup my wife has echoed the same sentiments as Cyclefree on many occasions and she's not particularly political. Her issue is, and has always been, female only spaces being opened up to males. Changing rooms and bathrooms in particular as she knows it's her own safety under threat but also prisons, refuges, shelters and other female only spaces now letting on self-ID men who say they're not.
    I have mentioned this before on here, among Mrs U female friends, generally very highly educated, successful, soft left leaning, very liberal on basically every social issue, and I imagine what only a few years ago most would say are your average stereotypical feminist...but this is absolute catnip topic....
    In the sense of they all hold similar views to those of Cyclefree? Or in that they all have a view one way or the other?
    It's like the Dreyfus Case - partisans on each side work really hard to ensure that the answer is binary and that the gulf between the two sides is as large as possible and unbridgeable. And you have to choose which side of the chasm you are on....
  • Options

Why do they dislike Raab? He's just meh
  • Options
    kle4 said:

@Peston
    With @MattHancock forced out a few weeks ago and Robert Buckland sacked today, @OliverDowden may be the last member of the cabinet who campaigned against Brexit

Oh no you don't want Prof Peston googling things, that's when it really goes downhill.....see his antivaxxer stuff over the weekend.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

O/T the situation with people WFH for Local Authorities has to end as people are simply not working. We have carried our projects for LAs for the past 15 years, it makes up about 40% of our work. Since Covid struck, but more especially this year, they have been impossible to deal with. You cannot speak to anyone on telephone, emails are not answered, the whole system has ground to a halt.

The biggest issue is payments. I have just written a lengthy email to the CE of a LA as we have invoices amouting to £800k outstanding, some for over 6 months. All the invoices have been approved for payment apparently but no payment has been forthcoming. The excuse we get is internal issues. This LA is not unusual and all contractors are suffering similar delays.

There is no accountability and no one within the LA cares. They are behaving like they are on Furlough.

Use the PPP that will get them moving

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prompt-payment-policy
  • Options

Perhaps they still are? Or off furlough but still working from home. Do you know?
  • Options

Johnson is driven by polling and focus groups they say.
  • Options
    I wonder if Buckland now regrets not resigning as Lord Chancellor over the government’s intention to break international law? His failure to stand up for the rule of law and indulgence of Johnson’s lawlessness leaves an unfortunate stain on his reputation.
    https://twitter.com/Simon_Nixon/status/1438135545100709890
  • Options
    Still no news from Raab's team and no resolution to his talks with PM - on a day like this implication is that things are not entirely well, and he doesn't want to take whatever he's being offered instead of Foreign Office job http://bbc.in/3ny879x

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1438134926583504899?s=20

Raab is 4th from the bottom of the ConHome poll.....the three below him have gone already...
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    How has the iCrap 13 still not got USB-C ? We aren't in 2015 anymore.
  • Options
    Reshuffle latest:

Robert Jenrick sacked outright, removed from Cabinet

Robert Buckland sacked outright, removed from Cabinet

Gavin Williamson sacked outright, removed from Cabinet

Raab likely to be demoted from FCDO to justice secretary

Amanda Milling likely to be sacked

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1438135869379067907
  • Options

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Jenrick jettisoned

We haven't seen the new appointees yet!
    Maybe Bozo and Nut-Nut will take on all of the roles themselves?
  • Options
    edited September 2021

They are also panicking as they have big holes in their budgets that will need filling.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    "Robert Jenrick has been sacked (2.40 p.m.)
    Robert Buckland is out of the Ministry of Justice (2.05 p.m.)
    Gavin Williamson has confirmed that he's been sacked as Education Secretary. (1.45 p.m.)
    Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has also been tipped for demotion (12.32 p.m.)"

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/live-boris-johnson-s-reshuffles-his-cabinet
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Reshuffle latest:

Robert Jenrick sacked outright, removed from Cabinet

Robert Buckland sacked outright, removed from Cabinet

Gavin Williamson sacked outright, removed from Cabinet

Raab likely to be demoted from FCDO to justice secretary

Amanda Milling likely to be sacked

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1438135869379067907

If true happy with all that
  • Options

kle4 said:

@Peston

Oh no you don't want Prof Peston googling things, that's when it really goes downhill.....see his antivaxxer stuff over the weekend.
    He might see a reflection in a mirror of a cat that looked a similar to one he saw before.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_KmNZNT5xw
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Excellent post. I don't think you are bringing a female perspective into it. I think you are bringing rationality into it.
    Oddly, many women and feminists disagree with Ms Free's views on this. Including Mrs J. Ms Free does speak from her own perspective, not that of all women or feminists.

The problem is not that this forum is too male: it's that we don't have many trans voices. I know we had one openly-trans poster, whom I sadly don't think has posted for a while. (As I recall, his views were not always as I'd expect, which was brilliant.)

I have known trans people, and one - a good friend - committed suicide. I still miss him. I have also directly seen others being bullied sniggered at etc in offices and on the street. This is the other side of the equation that Ms Free always rejects, e.g. when she outhandedly rejects Stonewall's figures. Behaviour that would be socially unacceptable towards gays or lesbians is fine against too many trans people. I have witnessed this first hand over the years.

I am not a 'gender idealist'. It's just that I accept the world is non-binary; and not just in the case of intersex people. The world is not as neat and tidy as some people want. So we can either accept that it is not tidy, or try to force people into pigeonholes. That latter approach is the one used throughout history, and has led to all sorts of pain for individuals who are different. I prefer the former approach.

I have sympathy for some of her points. Growing up is confusing for many people, and encouraging people to convert as children makes me very uneasy. I don't think changing gender should be made easier. The use of chemicals on children - especially pre-puberty - is wrong IMO.

But too many trans people don't face real issues and dangers that the rest of us do not.

I am not trans. I have no inclination to be, and never have. I am also not a woman. So perhaps I should have no voice in the matter. But those are my views.
    And yet - in this one particular respect - the world IS neat and tidy. Everyone is born either a male or a female. They may not want to live a stereotypically male or female life, and we should not force them to do so - but biological non-binarism(?) is a fiction.

Not everyone is born either male or a female. Biologically, there are intersex people.

Gosh, that one is fast becoming an old chestnut. This is incredibly rare. Are you suggesting that transgender people are "intersex" people?
    Of course not, although the groups might intersect (*)

Intersex people may be 'Incredibly' rare, or just rare, depending on definition. But they still exist. And deserve a little more understanding than being ignored with "Everyone is born either a male or a female."

(*) Goodness, how I hate using 'intersect' nowadays...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

@Peston

I think he means there's a chance Dowden wont be there either by tea time.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043

Out of the last 150 polls:

- The Tories have led in 148
    - Labour have led in 1
    - Labour/Tories tied in 1

People said ‘if Labour got rid of Corbyn and replaced him with any other leader they’d be ahead by 20 points’

Same people now saying Labour under SKS is on the right track when they are stuck behind an unpopular mid term Government and SKS shows no signs of having the requisite skills or ability to win.

Time for KotN before its too late

By Election required in safe Lab seat (if such a thing exists)

One poster on here claims the Tories were ahead by 20pts 3 months ago (which is an outright lie) to support his narrative of progress. The reality is Lab are no nearer now than they were in Jan 2021 there has been no progress just different shades of shitness

Yep. On the day that Worzel digs his government's own hell pit having been shish-kebabbed by SKS, with the debate on UC cuts, it really is the right day to attack the real enemy - the Labour party.
    The cat is already out of BJO's bag, it was not long ago he was eulogising Johnson's tax and spend proposals.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Also, why do they dislike Amanda Milling.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,841
    Stocky said:

Perhaps they still are? Or off furlough but still working from home. Do you know?
    Local authorities haven’t furloughed anyone, was my understanding. They’ve all been “W”FH since March 2020.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Gosh, that one is fast becoming an old chestnut. This is incredibly rare. Are you suggesting that transgender people are "intersex" people?

Intersex people may be 'Incredibly' rare, or just rare, depending on definition. But they still exist. And deserve a little more understanding than being ignored with "Everyone is born either a male or a female."

Sure. I wonder how many exist in the UK?
  • Options
    Are bets on next cabinet member out voided in a reshuffle or do you just hope to get lucky on who is announced first?
  • Options

How are they supposed to sell you overpriced dongles if they adopt the standard?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

She is anonymous
  • Options

How are they supposed to sell you overpriced dongles if they adopt the standard?
    Even iPad have gone USB-C now.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1438134926583504899?s=20

Raab is 4th from the bottom of the ConHome poll.....the three below him have gone already...

And him First Sectetary of State too.

I'm calling that to be Gove - rift healed.
  • Options

Which is really annoying, as now I need two cables to recharge the iPad and the phone!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I think the new defence partnership shows that despite Sleepy Joe being useless, some grown ups are now back in charge of some areas of the government.

The most worrying thing about Biden administration is this incredible money printing / borrowing / totally unconcerned about inflation.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Are bets on next cabinet member out voided in a reshuffle or do you just hope to get lucky on who is announced first?

Dead heat rules apply.

So if there's six sackings you get a sixth of your winnings.
  • Options
    Real-world data out of the Netherlands regarding vaccine effectiveness shows:

•Against Hospitalization: 95%
    •Against ICU Admission: 97%

•Pfizer: 92%
    •Moderna: 95%
    •AstraZeneca: 93%
    •Johnson & Johnson: 87%

Delta is currently the most prevalent variant in the Netherlands.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1438137091871944711?s=20
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Sandpit said:

Which is really annoying, as now I need two cables to recharge the iPad and the phone!
    Don't you use wireless charging? I have it in my office and in my car, makes life so much easier.
  • Options

I think the new defence partnership shows that despite Sleepy Joe being useless, some grown ups are now back in charge of some areas of the government.

The most worrying thing about Biden administration is this incredible money printing / borrowing / totally unconcerned about inflation.

It’s really worrying if, like me, you get paid in US$. There’s going to be massive exchange rate fluctuations, as that level of spending and QE kicks in.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    edited September 2021
    As Mike Smithson predicted, it turned out badly for the EdSec.

BBC headline: Where did it go wrong for Gavin Williamson?

To paraphrase Max Miller: Where didn't it go wrong?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

She is anonymous
    A pedant writes:
    She isn't anonymous. Her name is Amanda Milling. Her name is the only thing I know about her.
    Sorry.
  • Options

Johnson is driven by polling and focus groups they say.
    In which case, I'd much rather be in the position of Priti Patel than Alok Sharma.

Call it an algorithm, if you like.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Sandpit said:

It’s really worrying if, like me, you get paid in US$. There’s going to be massive exchange rate fluctuations, as that level of spending and QE kicks in.
    Stick it all in NFTs, they are inflation proof ;-)

More seriously, it will effect everybody if it all goes to shit with US gamble on this.
  • Options
    The rumour mill:

Moving Michael Gove to @mhclg - as much of Whitehall is now expecting - to oversee levelling up, house building, planning reform, local government would be a bold statement on dealing with regional inequality. #reshuffle

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1438137821500477440?s=20
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,881
    edited September 2021
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

A good question, and it probably depends on the definition of 'intersex'. The following says over 300k, which seems massively high to me:
    https://www.bacp.co.uk/bacp-journals/private-practice/march-2018/understanding-intersex/

I could believe that 0.02% or 1.7% might be correct, depending on the definition. Intersex is probably a range of things, not all of which might be immediately physically obvious.

I'd love to see other figures.

But it isn't zero.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977

President Joe Biden will announce a new working group with Britain and Australia to share advanced technologies in a thinly veiled bid to counter China, a White House official and a Congressional staffer told POLITICO.

The trio, which will be known by the acronym AUUKUS, will make it easier for the nations to share information and know-how in key technological areas like artificial intelligence, cyber, underwater systems and long-range strike capabilities

One of the people said there will be a nuclear element to the pact in which the U.S. and U.K. share their knowledge of how to maintain nuclear-defense infrastructure.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/15/biden-deal-uk-australia-defense-tech-sharing-511877

Australian rumours that they may junk their French sub deal.....

Ardern and Trudeau being cut out of Five Eyes? 🤔
    NZ bring almost nothing to the table and will be the first country of the liberal democracies to fall decisively in the Chinese sphere of influence.

Canada is a different matter entirely as they get a level of access to the US defence and intelligence structures through NORAD that the other 3 eyes can only dream of.
  • Options

Real-world data out of the Netherlands regarding vaccine effectiveness shows:

•Against Hospitalization: 95%
    •Against ICU Admission: 97%

•Pfizer: 92%
    •Moderna: 95%
    •AstraZeneca: 93%
    •Johnson & Johnson: 87%

Delta is currently the most prevalent variant in the Netherlands.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1438137091871944711?s=20

They’re brilliant numbers.

Vaccines work, people. To the 10%, just go and get vaccinated, because you’re getting the virus at some point anyway.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It is rumoured the next iPhone will have no USB port.

This is from 2019 predicting it 2021 but the stories say the pandemic have delayed it.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/05/kuo-iphone-without-lightning-connector-2021/
  • Options
    Robert Peston
    @Peston
    ·
    1h
    Ministerial source: “
    @pritipatel
    not looking happy”. I simply pass on

She is probably safe then if Peston ramping
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited September 2021
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1438128484149256193

"With
    @MattHancock
    forced out a few weeks ago and Robert Buckland sacked today,
    @OliverDowden
    may be the last member of the cabinet who campaigned against Brexit"

The useless tosser is once again reporting news that anyone with half a brain knows is false.

This. Is. His. Job.
  • Options

I dislike USB-C. My cables have a tendency to wear out more than USB-B did and the connector on devices seems easier to fail too.

My phone won't charge via USB C anymore. I can only charge it wirelessly which is slower and less convenient.

Samsung S9+ FWIW.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

The rumour mill:

Moving Michael Gove to @mhclg - as much of Whitehall is now expecting - to oversee levelling up, house building, planning reform, local government would be a bold statement on dealing with regional inequality. #reshuffle

Does that mean Raab is unsacked?!
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Sandpit said:

This is from 2019 predicting it 2021 but the stories say the pandemic have delayed it.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/05/kuo-iphone-without-lightning-connector-2021/
    The one big problem with wireless charging at the moment (slower charging is a bit annoying), is if you have lots of devices that charge that way. Nobody has solved the ability to have a single pad that just charges many devices at once.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Androgen Insensitivity (ie, born male but the hormones don't work):
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK542206/

About 1/20000 females are genetically male.
    About 1/60000 males have some sort of syndrome.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,053
    Seems harsh on Buckland. He’s one of the few who exudes an air of competence.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    kle4 said:

Dead Heat rules apply normally

So for a first out the cabinet bet your stake would be divided by three (Assuming Jenrick, Buckland and Williamson are removed from the cabinet and no others) and you'd have the odds you got but with 1/3rd the stake.

You'll need to be on at longer than 2-1 to scrub your face.

5-1 becomes even money;
    Long odds bets trend toward odds an asymptote of 1/3 the original price.
  • Options

I dislike USB-C. My cables have a tendency to wear out more than USB-B did and the connector on devices seems easier to fail too.

My phone won't charge via USB C anymore. I can only charge it wirelessly which is slower and less convenient.

Samsung S9+ FWIW.
    I'm about to go and get new iPhones for self and wife. Should, if I don't buy the newest, to get a bargain, with luck.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The one big problem with wireless charging at the moment (slower charging is a bit annoying), is if you have lots of devices that charge that way.
    Indeed, the other aspect for me is that I generally carry a powerbank, need wires for that.

I know that Anker have released a wireless powerbank but the power on that is rubbish. Wired it takes me 90 mins to fully charge a phone, wirelessly it is close to three hours, which is rubbish.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The iPhone 2022 is supposed to get rid of the notch as well, they've bought behind-screen camera modules and compatible screens from Samsung.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977

Wow. That's big news. The sub deal with the French was genius - for the French.

I wonder why Oz just doesn't try to refresh the deal they nearly had with the Japs - I don't think they've finished building the Soryu class.

But nuclear-powered makes it doubly interesting news - any chances of a sale of an Astute class variant? ;)
    Why would they want one over a Virginia? And why would the US permit it?
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

A god question, and it probably depends on the definition of 'intersex'. The following says over 300k, which seems massively high to me:
    https://www.bacp.co.uk/bacp-journals/private-practice/march-2018/understanding-intersex/

I could believe that 0.02% or 1.7% might be correct, depending on the definition. Intersex is probably a range of things, not all of which might be immediately physically obvious.

But it isn't zero.
    That's the population of Leicester. A ridiculous figure taken from a unpublished dissertation. So somewhere between zero and the population of :Leicester. I'm betting much closer to zero.

But anyway this is what I mean by the trans lobby lacking intelligence and rationality. The "not everyone is either male sex or female sex" gambit is like me saying that a coin toss will result in a heads or a tails outcome and them saying "No, no you are wrong, it could land on its edge".

• Options

President Joe Biden will announce a new working group with Britain and Australia to share advanced technologies in a thinly veiled bid to counter China, a White House official and a Congressional staffer told POLITICO.

The trio, which will be known by the acronym AUUKUS, will make it easier for the nations to share information and know-how in key technological areas like artificial intelligence, cyber, underwater systems and long-range strike capabilities

One of the people said there will be a nuclear element to the pact in which the U.S. and U.K. share their knowledge of how to maintain nuclear-defense infrastructure.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/15/biden-deal-uk-australia-defense-tech-sharing-511877

Could it be something more ambitious like a mutual defence treaty?
  • Options
    Taz said:

Seems harsh on Buckland. He’s one of the few who exudes an air of competence.

I'm fine with Buckland's dismissal, the fewer Welsh people in the cabinet the better.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed it is 1.7% of the population. So more common than twins.
    Hm - that wikipedia article throws considerable doubt on the 1.7% figure. And I note that it also explains whether the various subclassifications in there apply to males or females. Which suggests the number of people who cannot be properly classified as male or female is vanishingly small.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

The rumour mill:

Nah - Truss is getting his job, or so it's said.....
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

The iPhone 2022 is supposed to get rid of the notch as well, they've bought behind-screen camera modules and compatible screens from Samsung.
    I have yet to see a behind-screen camera module that works properly. They all either need a weird screen adjustment that leads to a visible area of pixels that aren't quite right, or the photos are like Vaseline has been placed on the lens.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The one big problem with wireless charging at the moment (slower charging is a bit annoying), is if you have lots of devices that charge that way. Nobody has solved the ability to have a single pad that just charges many devices at once.
    The latest posh feature in kitchens/sideboards is embedding multiple wireless charging pads, often completely under the surface, with just some markings for the locations.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

@Peston

Why bother googling, when you are the smartest person in the room?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

MaxPB said:

The rumour mill:

Nah - Truss is getting her job, or so it's said.....
    Her job? Raab is trans, you reckon?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560

@Peston

And Hancock wasn't exactly forced out, was he? His own libido and egregious incompetence caught up to him, I thought.
  • Options

Could it be something more ambitious like a mutual defence treaty?
    Replacement for NATO?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Don't you use wireless charging? I have it in my office and in my car, makes life so much easier.
    Wireless charging is still slow as hell. I just got a new car and am fitting a CarPlay stereo to it at the weekend, so will stick with the cable for that one. Maybe wireless works as an overnight charger, but if it’s plugged in during the day it’s because you want it charged quickly!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The rumour mill:

Wonder who will get trade then? Maybe Alok Sharma. Seems like a good match.
  • Options
    One Whitehall official says Dominic Raab is "throwing toys out of pram" #Reshuffle
    https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1438140869752860678?s=20
  • Options
    "M25 protests: Crash blamed on Insulate Britain activists blocking motorway as woman is airlifted to hospital"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/09/15/m25-protest-insulate-britain-block-britains-busiest-motorway/
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The rumour mill:

Wonder who will get trade then? Maybe Alok Sharma. Seems like a good match.
    Seems like Raab's still arguing. Carrie will get fed up soon and he'll be gone altogether.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

A good question, and it probably depends on the definition of 'intersex'. The following says over 300k, which seems massively high to me:

But it isn't zero.
    It is a range of different conditions, correct.
  • Options
    BBC News - "Doubts over Patel"
  • Options
    Report from an Australian ABC journalist:

@bevvo14
    #Breaking AFR reporting the French submarine deal is dead and Australia will partner with US and UK going forward. Announcement expected at 7am tomorrow

https://twitter.com/bevvo14/status/1438120604696072194
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Wireless charging is still slow as hell. I just got a new car and am fitting a CarPlay stereo to it at the weekend, so will stick with the cable for that one. Maybe wireless works as an overnight charger, but if it’s plugged in during the day it’s because you want it charged quickly!
    Wireless charging is witchcraft.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Andy_JS said:

"M25 protests: Crash blamed on Insulate Britain activists blocking motorway as woman is airlifted to hospital"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/09/15/m25-protest-insulate-britain-block-britains-busiest-motorway/

Lock 'em up....ass hats. Fining these twats a few quid won't do anything. If pissy man can go to jail for what he did, these clowns definitely could do with a few months in the clink.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,053
    Chris said:

As Mike Smithson predicted, it turned out badly for the EdSec.

BBC headline: Where did it go wrong for Gavin Williamson?

To paraphrase Max Miller: Where didn't it go wrong?

The only luck he had was having a shadow who was pretty hopeless too.
This discussion has been closed.