Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Raab be in trouble at Esher and Walton? – politicalbetting.com

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,171
    gealbhan said:

Not being au fait with celeb culture, is Niki Minaj a drag queen?

Are you blind?
    Never seen her, so basing it on the name.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,495

NEW: At 2200 BST tonight the Prime Minister will make an on camera address, alongside US President Biden and Australian Prime Minister Morrison, on a strategic national security announcement - Downing Street

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1438202465481117698?s=20

This may be a big moment for UK - US - AUS and a real set back for France, Canada and NZ
    I don't think Canada will be miffed (they're in the middle of an election), NZ is getting no more than it deserves and Macron will have to have a frank n'fearless chat with UvdL when she comes to Paris to talk about "European Defence".....
    Well, Mons.Macaron could sell UVDL 12 submarines, I suppose...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Of relevance to tonight’s announcement, the story of the AU and US police working with ‘a third country’ to develop a ‘super secure encrypted chat phone’, which they sold into the underworld and used to pickup a bunch of serious villains back in June.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/sep/11/inside-story-most-daring-surveillance-sting-in-history?source=techstories.org

It's good to see more detail on that story, thanks. From what I've heard, it was brilliant. Make the criminals distrust the secure comms they were using, and then convince another criminal to persuade them than this new system was much more secure. Except the new system was developed by the police ...

AIUI it's also interesting that the different countries did different parts of the decryption, to get around their various laws. A little naughty, that.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

TOPPING said:

FFS....

Just let us know if there's anything you need':

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9992613/Eco-mob-block-M25-AGAIN.html

I think that was just after they were told they were about to be arrested.

Nick Ferrari had the full clip.
    I don't give a f##k....clear the idiots out the way, in the paddy wagon, then have a conversation about if they need to go potty or take oat milk for their tea at the station.
    Oooh get you.
  • Options
    Government top team is still very weak, but then you look at the red team....its a bit like Aston Ham Villa vs Newcastle.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,143

TOPPING said:

FFS....

Just let us know if there's anything you need':

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9992613/Eco-mob-block-M25-AGAIN.html

I think that was just after they were told they were about to be arrested.

Nick Ferrari had the full clip.
    I don't give a f##k....clear the idiots out the way, in the paddy wagon, then have a conversation about if they need to go potty or take oat milk for their tea at the station.
    I’m sure they’d treat Millwall fans the same way.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Of relevance to tonight’s announcement, the story of the AU and US police working with ‘a third country’ to develop a ‘super secure encrypted chat phone’, which they sold into the underworld and used to pickup a bunch of serious villains back in June.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/sep/11/inside-story-most-daring-surveillance-sting-in-history?source=techstories.org

It's good to see more detail on that story, thanks. From what I've heard, it was brilliant. Make the criminals distrust the secure comms they were using, and then convince another criminal to persuade them than this new system was much more secure. Except the new system was developed by the police ...

AIUI it's also interesting that the different countries did different parts of the decryption, to get around their various laws. A little naughty, that.
    "It was not by chance that the FBI chose to partner with the AFP and trial An0m in Australia. There, since 2018, the Telecommunications and Other Legislation Amendment (Tola) has allowed government agencies to compel telecommunications providers to allow authorities to intercept criminal messages – powers that are not yet available to police elsewhere in the world.

Tola did not allow the AFP to share the millions of decrypted messages it was gathering with overseas agencies. The FBI had the necessary keys to decrypt the messages, but not the messages themselves. Working with San Diego lawyers, the FBI devised an ingenious, if arguably questionable, scheme. A third, currently unidentified, country apparently governed by laws that provided authority to accept the data, agreed to take the AFP’s massive cache of messages.

The fact that US law wasn’t suitable for such an operation may be more a criticism of US law than of the operation
    Without the encryption keys, this was no more than a digital mass of unreadable noise. But the third country then agreed to share the cache with the FBI under a mutual legal assistance treaty, in exchange for the encryption keys."

Naughty but cunningly clever.
  • Options

NEW: At 2200 BST tonight the Prime Minister will make an on camera address, alongside US President Biden and Australian Prime Minister Morrison, on a strategic national security announcement - Downing Street

This may be a big moment for UK - US - AUS and a real set back for France, Canada and NZ
    I don't think Canada will be miffed (they're in the middle of an election), NZ is getting no more than it deserves and Macron will have to have a frank n'fearless chat with UvdL when she comes to Paris to talk about "European Defence".....
    I love the initials: AUUKUS

Has to be admitted it is a difficult one.

• Options
    MattW said:

I love the initials: AUUKUS

Has to be admitted it is a difficult one.

If we can rearrange the letters:

U SUUK A ;)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881

Sandpit said:

It’s amazing that the true story actually came out so quickly. It’s quite the infiltration of various gangs and traffickers. I can only laugh at the small AFP and FBI teams watching all these messages run past them every day.

But eventually, there’s lives at stake, and the police have to intervene - which over time will blow their cover, so the whole thing has to be brought to a conclusion.

The ‘five eyes’ have been spying on each other’s citizens to get around domestic laws since forever, at least that way, they keep things to the genuine scumbags rather than trying to monitor everyone - as Snowden revealed was going on in the States.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It’s amazing that the true story actually came out so quickly. It’s quite the infiltration of various gangs and traffickers. I can only laugh at the small AFP and FBI teams watching all these messages run past them every day.

But eventually, there’s lives at stake, and the police have to intervene - which over time will blow their cover, so the whole thing has to be brought to a conclusion.

The ‘five eyes’ have been spying on each other’s citizens to get around domestic laws since forever, at least that way, they keep things to the genuine scumbags rather than trying to monitor everyone - as Snowden revealed was going on in the States.
    Even better : the criminal organisations will be very slow to trust another app / 'secure' solution again.
  • Options

Pro-EU Tories disappointed @BorisJohnson didn't use today's reshuffle to bring back some pro-EU figures into Govt

Arguably the strongest sign to date he intends to play the Brexit card hard against Labour at the next election

Reinforces my negative basecase for UK-EU relations

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1438203642641801220?s=20

Also plays to Johnson's PMQs line (twice, today) that Labour's pro-EU, pro-(low wage low skill) immigration policy will hold back lower paid wages...which are now rising...

Which is true, but if Boris is going to take 75% of that rise in taxes then the worker doesn't see much return from it.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,139
    edited September 2021
    HYUFD said:

VOTE LEAVE RESHUFFLE

All of the Remainers have now gone.

Apart from Brandon Lewis.

And Grant Shapps.

And Therese Coffey.

And Alok Sharma.

And Sajid Javid.

And Ben Wallace.

And Oliver Dowden.

And Mark Spencer.

And Simon Hart.

And the actual foreign secretary Liz Truss.

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1438199627635900418?s=20

Yes but it is now a more Leave Cabinet, all of those who left the Cabinet today were Remainers, Dorries, Barclay and Zahawi and Trevaleyan who entered the Cabinet were Leavers
    ...but, but Brexit is done.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Sandpit said:

That is beyond fascinating. Someone should buy the film rights asap and make a new French Connection.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,273
    edited September 2021

Pro-EU Tories disappointed @BorisJohnson didn't use today's reshuffle to bring back some pro-EU figures into Govt

Arguably the strongest sign to date he intends to play the Brexit card hard against Labour at the next election

Reinforces my negative basecase for UK-EU relations

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1438203642641801220?s=20

Also plays to Johnson's PMQs line (twice, today) that Labour's pro-EU, pro-(low wage low skill) immigration policy will hold back lower paid wages...which are now rising...

Which is true, but if Boris is going to take 75% of that rise in taxes then the worker doesn't see much return from it.
    I do not understand this argument

With wages rising, which is something you support, and controlled immigration then the workers are pleased, the tax take grows and the need for welfare reduces

It has already been said that the low paid are benefiting from these wage increases as well
  • Options

Richard "Comical" Murphy on SIndy Pensions:

One is existing pension commitments. That is, the promise to pay that everyone in the UK already has from the Westminster government. The answer to this one is easy to provide. Just as anyone who leaves the UK is still due their accumulated pension entitlement from the UK Government, so too will everyone in Scotland be entitled to the pensions they have earned to date from that government, which has benefitted from their tax contributions to date. Admittedly those pensions will be paid in English pounds, and they may be worth less than Scottish pounds, but that is the only risk I foresee.

He then goes on to write:

When considering this issue it has to be remembered that state pensions are not paid out of a pension fund. There are no savings or investments that back them up. The taxes and national insurance that we pay now are used to pay the pensions of those already retired

https://timesnewsnetwork.com/news/world/uk/richard-murphy-how-an-independent-scotland-can-beat-uks-lousy-pensions/

He's been trying to get money in Scotland for several years now. He had a performance before a Parliamentary Committee the was sublime in it's gormlessness.

I prefer "Make it Up" Murphy.
  • Options
    THIS THREAD HAS RETURNED TO THE BACK BENCHES
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    Good one, although not clear from looking at the map!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

That is beyond fascinating. Someone should buy the film rights asap and make a new French Connection.
    The Unnamed Third Country Connection doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Good one, although not clear from looking at the map!
    Indeed. Inside knowledge for Northern Line regulars.
This discussion has been closed.