Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Raab be in trouble at Esher and Walton? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The rumour mill:

Moving Michael Gove to @mhclg - as much of Whitehall is now expecting - to oversee levelling up, house building, planning reform, local government would be a bold statement on dealing with regional inequality. #reshuffle

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1438137821500477440?s=20

Does that mean Raab is unsacked?!
    Nah - Truss is getting her job, or so it's said.....
    Wonder who will get trade then? Maybe Alok Sharma. Seems like a good match.
    That’s a good call.

A shame to lose Truss from Trade, but if she’s off to FCO that makes sense.

Need to find a Cabinet job for Nadhim Zahawi too, now that minister for vaccines is somewhat redundant.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

BBC News - "Doubts over Patel"

Not really news, is it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    Taz said:

Chris said:

As Mike Smithson predicted, it turned out badly for the EdSec.

BBC headline: Where did it go wrong for Gavin Williamson?

To paraphrase Max Miller: Where didn't it go wrong?

The only luck he had was having a shadow who was pretty hopeless too.
    Who is it?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853

President Joe Biden will announce a new working group with Britain and Australia to share advanced technologies in a thinly veiled bid to counter China, a White House official and a Congressional staffer told POLITICO.

The trio, which will be known by the acronym AUUKUS, will make it easier for the nations to share information and know-how in key technological areas like artificial intelligence, cyber, underwater systems and long-range strike capabilities

One of the people said there will be a nuclear element to the pact in which the U.S. and U.K. share their knowledge of how to maintain nuclear-defense infrastructure.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/15/biden-deal-uk-australia-defense-tech-sharing-511877

Australian rumours that they may junk their French sub deal.....

Ardern and Trudeau being cut out of Five Eyes? 🤔
    Could it be something more ambitious like a mutual defence treaty?
    NATO is dying. Sadly.

A new closer alliance is needed to counter China. This makes total sense

Canada, Oz, UK, USA is a pretty powerful combination

470m people, two nuclear powers, nearly two entire continents. Enormous combined GDP. Spread around the world. Dominating the North Atlantic and half the pacific and with a major presence in the Southern Hemisphere and Indian Ocean

Lots of handy little islands as well, all across the world

Ultimately it will have to ally quite closely with India to contain Chinese power

That’s all we can hope to do. Contain. But it’s worth doing
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited September 2021
    Sky

Raab throwing toys out with the pram

Just sack him
  • Options

That would be a biggie. She's the darling of The Daily Express.
  • Options

Report from an Australian ABC journalist:

@bevvo14
    #Breaking AFR reporting the French submarine deal is dead and Australia will partner with US and UK going forward. Announcement expected at 7am tomorrow

https://twitter.com/bevvo14/status/1438120604696072194

Macron will be throwing toys out the pram.
  • Options
    Sky

Boris just left the HOC on way to no 10 to start the new appointments
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

Peston gets it wrong yet again:

@Peston
    With @MattHancock forced out a few weeks ago and Robert Buckland sacked today, @OliverDowden may be the last member of the cabinet who campaigned against Brexit

It's not hard to Google, Mr Peston, rather then speculate.
    Why bother googling, when you are the smartest person in the room?
    He was tweeting from the toilet cubicle?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Dominic Raab has now officially been in his cabinet reshuffle meeting with Johnson for more minutes than he spent arranging the safety of British citizens in the weeks leading up to the fall of Afghanistan to the Taliban!
    https://twitter.com/squeezyjohn/status/1438141912633024520
  • Options
    Boris Johnson has left Parliament - suggests the sackings are over and hiring is about to begin

https://twitter.com/HarriLine/status/1438141644549890065?s=20
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

How has the iCrap 13 still not got USB-C ? We aren't in 2015 anymore.

How are they supposed to sell you overpriced dongles if they adopt the standard?
    Even iPad have gone USB-C now.
    Which is really annoying, as now I need two cables to recharge the iPad and the phone!
    Don't you use wireless charging? I have it in my office and in my car, makes life so much easier.
    Wireless charging is still slow as hell. I just got a new car and am fitting a CarPlay stereo to it at the weekend, so will stick with the cable for that one. Maybe wireless works as an overnight charger, but if it’s plugged in during the day it’s because you want it charged quickly!
    Wireless charging is witchcraft.
    Anything wireless is witchcraft. ;)

(Says someone married to a cat-loving RF engineer with curly black hair.)
  • Options

Careful what you wish for. If Patel gets replaced, it’ll be because she’s failed to stop the boats - and that’s what will be top of the inbox for the new HS.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    You'd think Kemi Badenoch and Kwasi Kwarteng might be in line for a promotion.
  • Options

How are they supposed to sell you overpriced dongles if they adopt the standard?
    I dislike USB-C. My cables have a tendency to wear out more than USB-B did and the connector on devices seems easier to fail too.

My phone won't charge via USB C anymore. I can only charge it wirelessly which is slower and less convenient.

Samsung S9+ FWIW.
    Thats Samsung build quality, not the connector. Duff charging ports a favourite way to kill a Galaxy phone. With that and their AMOLED screen burn issue is why I haven't bought from them since the S2.
  • Options

I dislike USB-C. My cables have a tendency to wear out more than USB-B did and the connector on devices seems easier to fail too.

My phone won't charge via USB C anymore. I can only charge it wirelessly which is slower and less convenient.

Samsung S9+ FWIW.
    I'm about to go and get new iPhones for self and wife. Should, if I don't buy the newest, to get a bargain, with luck.
    The words 'iPhone' and 'bargain' do not sit within the same region of the Venn diagram.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,058

Taz said:

Chris said:

Who is it?
    Precisely !!

Kate Green. She’s had so many open goals and manages to miss most.
  • Options

Antenna design is often just painting runes with conductive media
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Careful what you wish for. If Patel gets replaced, it’ll be because she’s failed to stop the boats - and that’s what will be top of the inbox for the new HS.
    I'd love it to be Gove.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The rumour mill:

Moving Michael Gove to @mhclg - as much of Whitehall is now expecting - to oversee levelling up, house building, planning reform, local government would be a bold statement on dealing with regional inequality. #reshuffle

That’s a good call.

Need to find a Cabinet job for Nadhim Zahawi too, now that minister for vaccines is somewhat redundant.
    He’s a rather polished performer on TV. They should use him more.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,364
    edited September 2021

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    ·
    1h
    Ministerial source: “
    @pritipatel
    not looking happy”. I simply pass on

She is probably safe then if Peston ramping

I'm no Priti-basher - but Priti Patel never looks happy. Happy doesn't appear to be part of her repertoire. She looks either angry, or smugly triumphant. Look:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=priti+patel&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiWlqfxk4HzAhWTgVwKHcxvAH0Q_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1366&bih=643
  • Options
    BBC chairman Richard Sharp confirms Jess Brammar has been appointed #RTSCambridge
    https://twitter.com/anitathetweeter/status/1438142517459968004
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited September 2021
    Raab just gone into no 10

Apparently looking very angry
  • Options
    Taz said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The rumour mill:

That’s a good call.

Great to have an opinion pollster in the cabinet.
  • Options

Samsung S9+ FWIW.
    I'm about to go and get new iPhones for self and wife. Should, if I don't buy the newest, to get a bargain, with luck.
    The words 'iPhone' and 'bargain' do not sit within the same region of the Venn diagram.
    I paid £180 for my iPhone. The trick is not to buy the latest model, but find the three-year-old models still on sale online.
  • Options

Samsung S9+ FWIW.
    It's all relative. Retailers, even such as O2 and Vodafone want to shift old stock.
  • Options

He will come out saying he hadn't quite understood how important no 10 was in British politics. Good riddance.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The rumour mill:

That’s a good call.

Great to have an opinion pollster in the cabinet.
    If twitter is to be believed the pollsters are run by the Cabinet anyway of course.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I'd love it to be Gove.
    The rumour is Gove to “Minister for levelling-up the North”.
  • Options
    More news from the lovely unspoiled Faroes

“As soon as hunters realized how large the pod was, Read said, the hunt should have been called off. Now, as a result of excess killing, they were burning some of the blubber of over 1,000 dolphins in an incinerator, he said.

“Because if they drag the blubber out to sea, it’ll carry on floating around and washing up on all the beaches for weeks,” he said. “The only other option is to send them away in trucks, tip them over cliffs into the sea, or put them in a landfill slide or drag them back out, and that’s going to look absolutely shocking in the media.””

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvze7q/faroe-islands-dolphin-killing-grind
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    edited September 2021
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Chris said:

Who is it?
    Precisely !!

Fortunately for her, Williamson was lethal when it came to putting it in his own net.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Are bets on next cabinet member out voided in a reshuffle or do you just hope to get lucky on who is announced first?

Dead Heat rules apply normally

So for a first out the cabinet bet your stake would be divided by three (Assuming Jenrick, Buckland and Williamson are removed from the cabinet and no others) and you'd have the odds you got but with 1/3rd the stake.

You'll need to be on at longer than 2-1 to scrub your face.

5-1 becomes even money;
    Long odds bets trend toward odds an asymptote of 1/3 the original price.
    & The method is perfectly mathematically fair.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Nothing a couple of weeks on the beach won't put right.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I'd love it to be Gove.
    Oh Lord.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

The argument is not about trans rights. The reality is that there are no legal rights which other groups have which trans people lack. Women have no issue with people with gender dysphoria getting the help, resources and kindness and care they need.

The argument is about women's rights which will be seriously harmed and diminished if the gender ideologists gets their way, gender ideologists who care little for doing anything practical for people with gender dysphoria.

One final point gender ideology is, when you think about it, based on very old-fashioned stereotypes. It assumes that if you are a "butch" girl, a tomboy you must therefore be a boy. Or that if you are a more "feminine" sort of man you must be a girl. This is of course nonsense. These are the sorts of stereotypes which feminism has tried to move away from. Quite why they should now be seen as something to be applauded let alone used as the basis for legislation and medical experimentation on children of a most gruesome kind is beyond me.

I stand for the rights of women. I stand for the rights of people who have gender dysphoria. I stand for the rights of gay people whose sexuality is based on sex not on gender. I do not stand for trans activists who seek attack women and gay people and who do nothing for those with gender dysphoria.

And the reason I feel strongly about this is not just because I am a woman and a feminist. But because I have a gay child and one who went through some of the issues which some gay adolescents go through (worrying about whether he might be trans etc). He is now happily gay and probably quite a feminine sort of man. But who cares? Plus I am a trustee of a primary school and there are some very serious issues around safeguarding which are raised by this ideology.

So apologies for boring you all. But this is an important issue and one which will affect my vote. I will not vote for a party which makes self-ID part of its offering. I will not vote for a party which does not make the maintenance of women's' rights and the sex-based rights under the various Acts which women have had to fight for long and hard over decades a fundamental part of its offering. I will not vote for a party which adopts policies undermining the reality of same sex attraction. I will not vote for a party which thinks that being a woman "is an attitude". Womanhood is a reality not a "feeling".

This is a very male forum. I make no apologies for occasionally bringing a female perspective to it.

Excellent post. I don't think you are bringing a female perspective into it. I think you are bringing rationality into it.
    Oddly, many women and feminists disagree with Ms Free's views on this. Including Mrs J. Ms Free does speak from her own perspective, not that of all women or feminists.

The problem is not that this forum is too male: it's that we don't have many trans voices. I know we had one openly-trans poster, whom I sadly don't think has posted for a while. (As I recall, his views were not always as I'd expect, which was brilliant.)

I have known trans people, and one - a good friend - committed suicide. I still miss him. I have also directly seen others being bullied sniggered at etc in offices and on the street. This is the other side of the equation that Ms Free always rejects, e.g. when she outhandedly rejects Stonewall's figures. Behaviour that would be socially unacceptable towards gays or lesbians is fine against too many trans people. I have witnessed this first hand over the years.

I am not a 'gender idealist'. It's just that I accept the world is non-binary; and not just in the case of intersex people. The world is not as neat and tidy as some people want. So we can either accept that it is not tidy, or try to force people into pigeonholes. That latter approach is the one used throughout history, and has led to all sorts of pain for individuals who are different. I prefer the former approach.

I have sympathy for some of her points. Growing up is confusing for many people, and encouraging people to convert as children makes me very uneasy. I don't think changing gender should be made easier. The use of chemicals on children - especially pre-puberty - is wrong IMO.

But too many trans people don't face real issues and dangers that the rest of us do not.

I am not trans. I have no inclination to be, and never have. I am also not a woman. So perhaps I should have no voice in the matter. But those are my views.
    And yet - in this one particular respect - the world IS neat and tidy. Everyone is born either a male or a female. They may not want to live a stereotypically male or female life, and we should not force them to do so - but biological non-binarism(?) is a fiction.
    "Everyone is born either a male or a female."

Not everyone is born either male or a female. Biologically, there are intersex people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex
    Gosh, that one is fast becoming an old chestnut. This is incredibly rare. Are you suggesting that transgender people are "intersex" people?
    Of course not, although the groups might intersect (*)

Intersex people may be 'Incredibly' rare, or just rare, depending on definition. But they still exist. And deserve a little more understanding than being ignored with "Everyone is born either a male or a female."

(*) Goodness, how I hate using 'intersect' nowadays...
    Sure. I wonder how many exist in the UK?
    A god question, and it probably depends on the definition of 'intersex'. The following says over 300k, which seems massively high to me:
    https://www.bacp.co.uk/bacp-journals/private-practice/march-2018/understanding-intersex/

I could believe that 0.02% or 1.7% might be correct, depending on the definition. Intersex is probably a range of things, not all of which might be immediately physically obvious.

I'd love to see other figures.

But it isn't zero.
    That's the population of Leicester. A ridiculous figure taken from a unpublished dissertation. So somewhere between zero and the population of :Leicester. I'm betting much closer to zero.

But anyway this is what I mean by the trans lobby lacking intelligence and rationality. The "not everyone is either male sex or female sex" gambit is like me saying that a coin toss will result in a heads or a tails outcome and them saying "No, no you are wrong, it could land on its edge".
    "But anyway this is what I mean by the trans lobby lacking intelligence and rationality."

Wow. You're trying to say intersex people are so vanishingly close to zero that they might as well live in Haiti (*), and then you come out with that?

I don't know the true number of intersex people. Which, you might think, is actually a symptom of the problem. People like to pigeonhole others; say they fit into nice little categories. Well, it seems humans are not that simple to pigeonhole. Whether it is boys wanting to date other boys, boys wanting to be girls, or people born with a confusing gender, people are messy and confusing.

We need to start accepting that.

(*) For anyone reading this morning's thread...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The rumour mill:

That’s a good call.

Ctl C/Ctl V will be no loss. Her deals were barely as good or worse than what we had before. An impossible task anyway.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I'd love it to be Gove.
    Lots of trips to Northern night clubs.....
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Antenna design is often just painting runes with conductive media
    Mrs J's masters was in antennae design. Although she says its more etching out runes than painting them. ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Sandpit said:

It also creates a huge enemy on the backbenches.
  • Options
    Leon said:

“As soon as hunters realized how large the pod was, Read said, the hunt should have been called off. Now, as a result of excess killing, they were burning some of the blubber of over 1,000 dolphins in an incinerator, he said.

“Because if they drag the blubber out to sea, it’ll carry on floating around and washing up on all the beaches for weeks,” he said. “The only other option is to send them away in trucks, tip them over cliffs into the sea, or put them in a landfill slide or drag them back out, and that’s going to look absolutely shocking in the media.””

Whereas this creates a good impression?
    Needs stopping. Now would be good.
  • Options
    Sky suggesting

Raab to deputy PM with no portfolio

Caution- this is speculation
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Leon said:

President Joe Biden will announce a new working group with Britain and Australia to share advanced technologies in a thinly veiled bid to counter China, a White House official and a Congressional staffer told POLITICO.

The trio, which will be known by the acronym AUUKUS, will make it easier for the nations to share information and know-how in key technological areas like artificial intelligence, cyber, underwater systems and long-range strike capabilities

One of the people said there will be a nuclear element to the pact in which the U.S. and U.K. share their knowledge of how to maintain nuclear-defense infrastructure.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/15/biden-deal-uk-australia-defense-tech-sharing-511877

Australian rumours that they may junk their French sub deal.....

Ardern and Trudeau being cut out of Five Eyes? 🤔
    Could it be something more ambitious like a mutual defence treaty?
    NATO is dying. Sadly.
    No, NATO is still useful for containing Russia. As it was designed to do.

But it was never built for dealing with China. That, as you say, needs other arrangements.

• Options
    Patel shuffled
  • Options
    Raab appointed Justice Secretary, Lord Chancellor and Deputy PM
  • Options

Is it naive to think he wouldn't have gone into Number 10 unless they'd already agreed what role he is accepting? So this now is a formality?
  • Options

Sky suggesting

The new Nick Clegg?
    Somehow fitting.
  • Options

Sky suggesting

From big job and nominal precedence over others to non job. You have to at least have something else with the deputy gig.
  • Options

Is it naive to think he wouldn't have gone into Number 10 unless they'd already agreed what role he is accepting? So this now is a formality?
    Yes - his new role confirmed
  • Options

Sky suggesting

That does make sense, if Gove is getting a department from the MWOP
  • Options
    Priti has taken her protection officer with her into No. 10. Must be expecting a meeting with no biscuits.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I'd love it to be Gove.
    Lots of trips to Northern night clubs.....
    "trips"
  • Options

No reward for failure......
  • Options
    No justice for Raab as Raab moves to Justice.
  • Options

Decent return for him given speculation. Not a Great Office, but then Health is more imp than Foreign these days so being second rank at Justice may not be that bad either.
  • Options
    Truss must be favourite for Foreign Secretary
  • Options
    Raab takes Justice after a bit of barney... seems to have wrangled a promotion from First Sec to Deputy PM as after a row

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1438145688236400650?s=20

Couldn't do one job, so lets give him 3.....
  • Options

Priti has taken her protection officer with her into No. 10. Must be expecting a meeting with no biscuits.

Car right to door too.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Samsung S9+ FWIW.
    I paid £180 for my iPhone. The trick is not to buy the latest model, but find the three-year-old models still on sale online.
    Knock the zero off the end and I might consider it to be a bargain!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Decent return for him given speculation. Not a Great Office, but then Health is more imp than Foreign these days so being second rank at Justice may not be that bad either.
    Probably the Lord Chancellorship swung it.
  • Options
    It wouldn't surprise me if Boris Johnson accidentally reshuffled himself. What an outcome that would be.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Chris said:

Who is it?
    Precisely !!

Fortunately for her, Williamson was lethal when it came to putting it in his own net.
    Labour could have skewered that incompetent clown far more and made far more of it than they did.

Green and Williamson. Like those two teams who ended a soccer game trying to score own goals
  • Options

He's a pound shop Sir Geoffrey Howe.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    O/T but it looks as if Trudeau's bounce in the polls from the debates has faded, and the Conservatives are back in the lead.
  • Options
    Is Raab's movement actually a demotion ?
    Slight I'd say.
  • Options

Raab takes Justice after a bit of barney... seems to have wrangled a promotion from First Sec to Deputy PM as after a row

First sec to deputy pm is not a promotion. Neither grants you official rights to succeed the PM after all, and I believe most of the time one or the other is used, not both (except during the Coalition) so they are not competing positions.
  • Options
    Didn't Johnson attack Starmer earlier for the same thing
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Slight I'd say.

BBC saying it is a demotion
  • Options

Hold on, has Raab just done an Angela Rayner on Johnson

Done a Geoffrey Howe.

Demoted from the Foreign Office but made it look good with getting the title Deputy Prime Minister.

Narrator: 15 months later Howe helped topple Thatcher.
  • Options

Car right to door too.
    Doesn’t Home Secretary still get an enhanced personal security detail, compared to your average Cabinet minister who just gets a driver?
  • Options
    All the Tories who said Starmer was weak and useless, I am sure will be straight out to call BoJo the same, after Raab just pulled the same move.

Anyone? Anyone?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Slight I'd say.

It is, but as you say not by much. Keeping a deputy tag under a different name softens the downward move as without it one would assume Rishi and the other Great Offices would out rank him, politically.
  • Options
    Liz Truss into no 10
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Samsung S9+ FWIW.
    You can buy a phone for £18? I don’t mean get one as part of a two-year contract from a network, I mean buy the phone outright.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Or number 11. With Rishi to FO
  • Options
    The Truss inside No. 10...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The rumour mill:

Her job? Raab is trans, you reckon?
    Cabinet position "fluid"
  • Options

Definitely. He unsacked himself.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    PORWAS
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    gealbhan said:

Or number 11. With Rishi to FO
    There was something about Rishi’s eyes in the house today. Like he was on something.
  • Options

Done a Geoffrey Howe.

Demoted from the Foreign Office but made it look good with getting the title Deputy Prime Minister.

I'm too lazy to check, but how long was it from the Night of the Long Knives to Supermac's resignation?

And who is this government's Lord Home?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

First sec to deputy pm is not a promotion. Neither grants you official rights to succeed the PM after all, and I believe most of the time one or the other is used, not both (except during the Coalition) so they are not competing positions.
    The same reason we promote people from Executive VP to Senior VP.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Cookie said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

The argument is not about trans rights. The reality is that there are no legal rights which other groups have which trans people lack. Women have no issue with people with gender dysphoria getting the help, resources and kindness and care they need.

The argument is about women's rights which will be seriously harmed and diminished if the gender ideologists gets their way, gender ideologists who care little for doing anything practical for people with gender dysphoria.

One final point gender ideology is, when you think about it, based on very old-fashioned stereotypes. It assumes that if you are a "butch" girl, a tomboy you must therefore be a boy. Or that if you are a more "feminine" sort of man you must be a girl. This is of course nonsense. These are the sorts of stereotypes which feminism has tried to move away from. Quite why they should now be seen as something to be applauded let alone used as the basis for legislation and medical experimentation on children of a most gruesome kind is beyond me.

I stand for the rights of women. I stand for the rights of people who have gender dysphoria. I stand for the rights of gay people whose sexuality is based on sex not on gender. I do not stand for trans activists who seek attack women and gay people and who do nothing for those with gender dysphoria.

And the reason I feel strongly about this is not just because I am a woman and a feminist. But because I have a gay child and one who went through some of the issues which some gay adolescents go through (worrying about whether he might be trans etc). He is now happily gay and probably quite a feminine sort of man. But who cares? Plus I am a trustee of a primary school and there are some very serious issues around safeguarding which are raised by this ideology.

So apologies for boring you all. But this is an important issue and one which will affect my vote. I will not vote for a party which makes self-ID part of its offering. I will not vote for a party which does not make the maintenance of women's' rights and the sex-based rights under the various Acts which women have had to fight for long and hard over decades a fundamental part of its offering. I will not vote for a party which adopts policies undermining the reality of same sex attraction. I will not vote for a party which thinks that being a woman "is an attitude". Womanhood is a reality not a "feeling".

This is a very male forum. I make no apologies for occasionally bringing a female perspective to it.

Excellent post. I don't think you are bringing a female perspective into it. I think you are bringing rationality into it.
    Oddly, many women and feminists disagree with Ms Free's views on this. Including Mrs J. Ms Free does speak from her own perspective, not that of all women or feminists.

The problem is not that this forum is too male: it's that we don't have many trans voices. I know we had one openly-trans poster, whom I sadly don't think has posted for a while. (As I recall, his views were not always as I'd expect, which was brilliant.)

I have known trans people, and one - a good friend - committed suicide. I still miss him. I have also directly seen others being bullied sniggered at etc in offices and on the street. This is the other side of the equation that Ms Free always rejects, e.g. when she outhandedly rejects Stonewall's figures. Behaviour that would be socially unacceptable towards gays or lesbians is fine against too many trans people. I have witnessed this first hand over the years.

I am not a 'gender idealist'. It's just that I accept the world is non-binary; and not just in the case of intersex people. The world is not as neat and tidy as some people want. So we can either accept that it is not tidy, or try to force people into pigeonholes. That latter approach is the one used throughout history, and has led to all sorts of pain for individuals who are different. I prefer the former approach.

I have sympathy for some of her points. Growing up is confusing for many people, and encouraging people to convert as children makes me very uneasy. I don't think changing gender should be made easier. The use of chemicals on children - especially pre-puberty - is wrong IMO.

But too many trans people don't face real issues and dangers that the rest of us do not.

I am not trans. I have no inclination to be, and never have. I am also not a woman. So perhaps I should have no voice in the matter. But those are my views.
    And yet - in this one particular respect - the world IS neat and tidy. Everyone is born either a male or a female. They may not want to live a stereotypically male or female life, and we should not force them to do so - but biological non-binarism(?) is a fiction.
    "Everyone is born either a male or a female."

Not everyone is born either male or a female. Biologically, there are intersex people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex
    Gosh, that one is fast becoming an old chestnut. This is incredibly rare. Are you suggesting that transgender people are "intersex" people?
    Of course not, although the groups might intersect (*)

Intersex people may be 'Incredibly' rare, or just rare, depending on definition. But they still exist. And deserve a little more understanding than being ignored with "Everyone is born either a male or a female."

(*) Goodness, how I hate using 'intersect' nowadays...
    Sure. I wonder how many exist in the UK?
    A god question, and it probably depends on the definition of 'intersex'. The following says over 300k, which seems massively high to me:
    https://www.bacp.co.uk/bacp-journals/private-practice/march-2018/understanding-intersex/

I could believe that 0.02% or 1.7% might be correct, depending on the definition. Intersex is probably a range of things, not all of which might be immediately physically obvious.

I'd love to see other figures.

But it isn't zero.
    That's the population of Leicester. A ridiculous figure taken from a unpublished dissertation. So somewhere between zero and the population of :Leicester. I'm betting much closer to zero.

But anyway this is what I mean by the trans lobby lacking intelligence and rationality. The "not everyone is either male sex or female sex" gambit is like me saying that a coin toss will result in a heads or a tails outcome and them saying "No, no you are wrong, it could land on its edge".
    "But anyway this is what I mean by the trans lobby lacking intelligence and rationality."

Wow. You're trying to say intersex people are so vanishingly close to zero that they might as well live in Haiti (*), and then you come out with that?

I don't know the true number of intersex people. Which, you might think, is actually a symptom of the problem. People like to pigeonhole others; say they fit into nice little categories. Well, it seems humans are not that simple to pigeonhole. Whether it is boys wanting to date other boys, boys wanting to be girls, or people born with a confusing gender, people are messy and confusing.

We need to start accepting that.

(*) For anyone reading this morning's thread...
    What? We need to *start* accepting boys wanting to date other boys?

The transgender people I know are happy getting on with life and anywhere between neutral and seriously hostile to people purporting to activise on their behalf. It's like the anti apartheid stuff in the 70s and 80s: go down to a South African township, and the quickest way to get severely beaten or killed, other than wear a Rolex, is to start giving it large about how you stood shoulder to shoulder with them in the fight against racial injustice. People are just sooooo ungrateful.
  • Options

Done a Geoffrey Howe.

Do you think Raab has the same stature as Howe did?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Comes with the Justice gig doesnt it?
  • Options
    If Westminster does not play ball, the long-standing Scottish nationalist plan for negotiated independence collapses. Even if moderate independence supporters were on board with a Scottish UDI – a big ‘if’ – no country Scotland would want as an ally will recognise its independence against the wishes of the British government. Whatever the current state of the transatlantic alliance, no American President would recognise an independent Scotland against the wishes of Downing Street. Spain would not countenance a ‘breakaway’ state’s accession to the EU: that’s why it accepts Montenegro’s candidacy (because it separated with the consent of Serbia) but not Kosovo’s (because it separated from Serbia without its consent). Even China and Russia might balk at recognising Scotland, mindful of their own separatist problems. So a Scottish government seeking recognition in these circumstances would meet the same flat refusal as that encountered by Éamon de Valera’s emissaries to Woodrow Wilson and Georges Clemenceau in 1919, and Scotland would not be a recognised independent state.

https://constitution-unit.com/2021/09/15/scotlands-place-in-the-union-will-not-be-decided-in-the-courts-only-politicians-can-enable-or-prevent-independence/
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Whereas this creates a good impression?
    Needs stopping. Now would be good.
    I actually think they might finally yield now. Or seek some new compromise, to let smaller hunts continue

The headlines are worldwide, from America to Arab media, India to Spain. Not great for their tourism industry, which is a sizeable chunk of their successful economy
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1438148639080206339

Somebody is definitely stealing my posts
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Samsung S9+ FWIW.
    You can buy a phone for £18? I don’t mean get one as part of a two-year contract from a network, I mean buy the phone outright.
    I think the last one I bought was £10.
  • Options

Liz Truss into no 10

Boris has gone!!
  • Options

Done a Geoffrey Howe.

I'm too lazy to check, but how long was it from the Night of the Long Knives to Supermac's resignation?

And who is this government's Lord Home?
    Fifteen months from the knight of the long knives to Supermac's resignation.
  • Options

Liz Truss into no 10

Boris has gone!!
    Has anyone done the "Truss offers full support" gag?
  • Options
    I guess Boris can't make his 'fire and rehire' gag about Labour's deputy leader anymore.

Although I suppose at least with Raab it didn't take days.
  • Options
    Rishi staying as Chancellor
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Comes with the Justice gig doesnt it?
    He might not realise that.

Yet.
  • Options

I guess Boris can't make his 'fire and rehire' gag about Labour's deputy leader anymore.

Although I suppose at least with Raab it didn't take days.

I am convinced at this point that BoJo is trying to throw his polling lead on purpose
  • Options

Rishi staying as Chancellor

Poor soul
  • Options
    Amanda Milling sacked
  • Options
    The Rt Hon Rishi Sunak MP @RishiSunak remains Chancellor of the Exchequer @HMTreasury #Reshuffle

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1438149058510704642?s=20
This discussion has been closed.