Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The “Crisis What Crisis” immersive theatrical experience – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Andy_JS said:

MrEd said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/confidential-state-department-cable-in-july-warned-of-afghanistans-collapse-11629406993

An internal State Department memo last month warned top agency officials of the potential collapse of Kabul soon after the U.S.’s Aug. 31 troop withdrawal deadline in Afghanistan, according to a U.S. official and a person familiar with the document.

The classified cable represents the clearest evidence yet that the administration had been warned by its own officials on the ground that the Taliban’s advance was imminent and Afghanistan’s military may be unable to stop it.

The cable, sent via the State Department’s confidential dissent channel, warned of rapid territorial gains by the Taliban and the subsequent collapse of Afghan security forces, and offered recommendations on ways to mitigate the crisis and speed up an evacuation, the two people said.

It feels like the US intelligence bureaucracy has decided it’s time to throw Biden under the bus
    The US government isn't supposed to be a one man affair. Where are Biden's advisers?
    It was interesting that KH agreed to stand on stage with Biden today. I suppose it at least reminds people who she is in case she is imminently taking over.
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Andy_JS said:

Ha ha, let’s laugh at all those people who said Biden was great!

Who were they?

Loads of them, bet you were one.

Any actual quotes of people actually saying Biden was great?

THEY WERE SAYING IT INWARDLY!

During the debates, every time someone pointed out that Biden sounded a bit doddery they were ridiculed for daring to say such a thing. Because defeating Trump was the only thing that mattered.
    I quite liked Biden then and I like him all the more now. I thought he was a "steady as she goes" politician that would march in lock step with the establishment and vested interests. But now he is saying fuck you to both the neocons and the deficit hawks and refusing to buckle under pressure.
  • moonshine said:

Andy_JS said:

MrEd said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/confidential-state-department-cable-in-july-warned-of-afghanistans-collapse-11629406993

An internal State Department memo last month warned top agency officials of the potential collapse of Kabul soon after the U.S.’s Aug. 31 troop withdrawal deadline in Afghanistan, according to a U.S. official and a person familiar with the document.

The classified cable represents the clearest evidence yet that the administration had been warned by its own officials on the ground that the Taliban’s advance was imminent and Afghanistan’s military may be unable to stop it.

The cable, sent via the State Department’s confidential dissent channel, warned of rapid territorial gains by the Taliban and the subsequent collapse of Afghan security forces, and offered recommendations on ways to mitigate the crisis and speed up an evacuation, the two people said.

It feels like the US intelligence bureaucracy has decided it’s time to throw Biden under the bus
    The US government isn't supposed to be a one man affair. Where are Biden's advisers?
    It was interesting that KH agreed to stand on stage with Biden today. I suppose it at least reminds people who she is in case she is imminently taking over.
    Present but not involved.....
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Leon said:

Who were they?

Sea Shanty Irish was a big fan, as I recall. But he has vanished...
    One day Johnson’s fan club will dissolve and never have existed. The Clown is dead; long live The Clown!
    MrEd said:

The blob plays these games. These are the same bastards who tortured people and sent them to illegal black sites around the world. They cover their arses with ambiguous statements in different memos, then leak them to a Murdoch outlet. These are the guys that justified the massive spending of US taxpayer money on a fools errand for 20 years. Let's hope that they completely burn bridges with the White House and Biden cleans house.
    Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

During the debates, every time someone pointed out that Biden sounded a bit doddery they were ridiculed for daring to say such a thing. Because defeating Trump was the only thing that mattered.
    I quite liked Biden then and I like him all the more now. I thought he was a "steady as she goes" politician that would march in lock step with the establishment and vested interests. But now he is saying fuck you to both the neocons and the deficit hawks and refusing to buckle under pressure.
    Yes. And he’s also saying fuck ‘em, to the millions he’s let down, like that baby that got stuck on the barbed wire at the airport yesterday. Or the newborn today suffering heat stroke having been stuck on a runway for god knows how long. Such a working class hero.
  • Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

MrEd said:

Conspicuously absent. Recall that Kamala Harris apparently said "they won't pin this shit on me" re the Kabul Disaster. Now we get various officials directly contradicting what Biden just stupidly said in the presser - "al Qaeda are gone", "Americans with passports are reaching the airport fine". And now these dangerous leaks for Biden out of DC and London

It does look rather like Biden is being set up as the Fall Guy. He will take the blame for this, retire early? Harris takes over. New broom sweeps clean
    As Biden says the buck stops there. Plenty were forecasting Biden will hand over early to Harris but now there will be a thousand conspiracy theories about how the Afghans were sacrificed to make it happen.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

moonshine said:

MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1428805059870068740
    https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1428804909449846797

Huge story… leaked memo shows Biden promised Boris Johnson and G7 leaders in June that the US would maintain enough of a security presence in Afghanistan that they would keep Kabul safe — then failed to keep that commitment

NEW: Biden assured key allies in June that US security enablers would remain in place in Afghanistan as NATO troops withdrew, so much so that U.K. thought it could maintain its Kabul embassy

Is this worse for US-Ally relationships than everything under Trump combined? Horrendous abdication of responsibility.

He's a useless fucker so he is.
    Sorry David, you wanted Biden, you and your ilk own it
    Yes, I wanted Biden. Proud to say so.

Because Trump winning a 2nd term would have been either the end of american democracy or a civil war or succession of several states.

As was proved by his attempts to run a coup and claim he won the election.

If Trump was running a coup, he did a piss poor imitation of one. My dog could have done better.

Vote Trump. He's incompetent at fascist coups.

Compelling.

As opposed to incompetent at being the leader of the Free World.

And don’t tell me, you are one of those who truly believe Trump was controlled by Putin and pissed on by Russian hookers, as in some third-rate conspiracy theory movie. F*ck, that is up there with the QAnon conspiracy crap.
    I'd rather someone be incompetent at being the leader of the Free World, than someone being more competent but ending the Free element of Free World.

Trump threatened to end America's democracy. The GOP are still trying to do so with their disgraceful voting reforms in places like Texas.
    Had we awoken on the morning after the election to Trump having taken the states he needed, what do you think he would have done in the subsequent 9 months that would have been more damaging to the cause of Western democracy than the last week?

Don’t get me wrong, the man’s a knobhead. But at least the foreign autocrats were wary of him.
    Trump and the GOP spent 4 years undermining democratic norms and replacing professional people at institutions with those who would subvert the rule of law. I think he would have done more of that if he'd been in power the last 9 months - he'd already threatened to sack Fauci and replace him with a lackey and the GOP are trying to undermine democracy in voting reform bills in Texas etc

Foreign leaders are also wary of Putin, Xi and Jong-Un . . . doesn't mean I want a leader like that as President of the USA.

Having a leader that respects democracy and fights to win but accepts when they lose is a key part of democracy. I have no fear that if Biden loses the election that he won't relinquish control.
    LOL. Pelosi, Clinton et al spent 4 years claiming Trump was an agent of the Russians and an illegitimate President but that’s not “undermining democracy”.

You’re smart in many ways Philip buy some times you truly are as thick as pig sh1t.
    Have you read Ms Clinton's book? It's pitiful, self justifying and poorly written. But it starts off by saying "I lost".

There are lots of bad things by politicians on all sides of the political spectrum. And there are lots of good things. There are many things Trump did as President that I personally supported, even some - such as removing the tax shield on carried interest - that cost me financially.

But the single most important thing for any politician is to accept the decision of voters. If you look at every country that has gone from democracy to shithole in the last 100 years (and there's a surprisingly large number of them), the descent has always started with a single seed: a politician who refused to accept the decision of the voters.

That's really all that matters.

If Trump cannot say "I lost" and if he cannot say "I would accept the decision of the voters" then he is not a man who should elected to any democratic office.
    As I said, Trump should have said she lost.

However, as for Clinton, whatever she said in her book, her public message - all the way up to the 2020 election - was that Russia helped Trump to power. You can quote her book as much as you like but I’d argue she was being disingenuous - giving the fig leaf of saying she lost while all her public announcements and commentary made it clear she believed she had been cheated. Many other Democrats said the same:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-consent/?next_url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/hillary-clinton-trump-is-an-illegitimate-president/2019/09/26/29195d5a-e099-11e9-b199-f638bf2c340f_story.html?outputType=amp&outputType=amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/joe-bidens-bitter-harvest-11604963930

But Russia did help Trump win power.

So should that not be mentioned? Should Russia be allowed to meddle with our elections with impunity and it can't even be brought up?
    Was it ever proved it was coordinated? I understand they fed the troll farms that sort to former distrust and anger. I suspect that helped create the environment which amplified Trump’s appeal.

But that’s not quite the same as saying they helped Trump in a deliberate and coordinated manner
    moonshine said:

Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

Yes. And he’s also saying fuck ‘em, to the millions he’s let down, like that baby that got stuck on the barbed wire at the airport yesterday. Or the newborn today suffering heat stroke having been stuck on a runway for god knows how long. Such a working class hero.
    Oh please. The cherry picked heartstring pullers that make a nice splashy headline but rarely hold up with the full story arises a month later but by then the media coverage moves on. Reminds me how the neocons told a bullshit story about babies thrown out of cribs in 1991. Turned out to be total bollocks.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    kamski said:

MrEd said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

Another thing that struck me with Biden this evening, again it was all "America only" again. It is basically convention that the US president name checks partners working on these missions, and yet it was all only America can do this....not America and its long standing partners such as UK and France.

kamski said:

MrEd said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

Chameleon said:

Huge story… leaked memo shows Biden promised Boris Johnson and G7 leaders in June that the US would maintain enough of a security presence in Afghanistan that they would keep Kabul safe — then failed to keep that commitment

NEW: Biden assured key allies in June that US security enablers would remain in place in Afghanistan as NATO troops withdrew, so much so that U.K. thought it could maintain its Kabul embassy

Is this worse for US-Ally relationships than everything under Trump combined? Horrendous abdication of responsibility.

Because Trump winning a 2nd term would have been either the end of american democracy or a civil war or succession of several states.

If Trump was running a coup, he did a piss poor imitation of one. My dog could have done better.

Compelling.

And don’t tell me, you are one of those who truly believe Trump was controlled by Putin and pissed on by Russian hookers, as in some third-rate conspiracy theory movie. F*ck, that is up there with the QAnon conspiracy crap.
    I'd rather someone be incompetent at being the leader of the Free World, than someone being more competent but ending the Free element of Free World.

Trump threatened to end America's democracy. The GOP are still trying to do so with their disgraceful voting reforms in places like Texas.
    “Disgraceful voter reforms”. What, you mean people have to show ID? Oh my God, how terrible! In a country where 90pc+ have a driving licence.

Not sure if you have been listening Philip but do you know about HR1, or the Democrats threatening to pack the Supreme Court or that for 4 years Democrats claimed Trump was an illegitimate President as he was a stooge of Putin?

Now that is some crazy sh1t.

90%+ is not a very compelling statistic when you look at the margin of victory in, frinstance, every pres election since and including 2000, is it?

Also, are the non driving licence holders disproportionately (1) dem niggaz or (2) dem whiteys?
    Or Billy Bob GOP voters?

It’s insulting to say Black voters are too thick to get ID
    God you're really making even more of a fool of yourself than usual. Do you really think people are convinced by this crap? Your dishonesty is just an insult to everyone's intelligence. People can easily look up for themselves how much more likely black Americans are than white Americans to have no ID.
    Yawn Kamski, just go back to your usual “Biden is so great, he’s wonderful and compassionate” you have no interest in facts so it is pointless debating you.
    More dishonesty from easily the most dishonest poster on here. Or can you point me to where I have said that?
    Of course not because you are just a liar.
    Have you looked up what proportion of black americans and white americans don't have ID?
    Of course not because you already knew the answer you liar.
    Do you have any facts to back that up @kamski or just another rant?
    you are the one claiming that I said things I never said.

as for ID, eg 2012 ANES 5% whites without ID and 13% blacks.
    Sorry you are making no sense. I never said you were a liar or a racist. Where has that come from?
    1. You quote me as saying things like "Biden is so great". I have never said anything of the sort. You lied.
    2. When others say that black Americans are less likely to have ID than white Americans you say it is insulting to black people. More lies from you. Or do you honestly think that pointing out the fact that black americans are more likely to lack ID than white Americans is insulting black people's intelligence????

Do you understand now? Don't bother answering because I will only assume you are probably lying, like with everything else you post.
    My wife is a Black American and she gets far more annoyed about the assumption that Blacks don’t have IF, don’t know how to use computers etc etc than I do. She doesn’t really want some privileged European telling her she is oppressed…

However, you seem quite excised about things so let’s just call it quits and move onto other things
    Aslan said:

MrEd said:

The blob plays these games. These are the same bastards who tortured people and sent them to illegal black sites around the world. They cover their arses with ambiguous statements in different memos, then leak them to a Murdoch outlet. These are the guys that justified the massive spending of US taxpayer money on a fools errand for 20 years. Let's hope that they completely burn bridges with the White House and Biden cleans house.
    UK government refuses to assist Police Scotland investigation into US torture and rendition

https://www.scottishlegal.com/article/uk-government-refuses-to-assist-police-scotland-investigation-into-us-torture-and-rendition
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2021
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

MrEd said:

Conspicuously absent. Recall that Kamala Harris apparently said "they won't pin this shit on me" re the Kabul Disaster. Now we get various officials directly contradicting what Biden just stupidly said in the presser - "al Qaeda are gone", "Americans with passports are reaching the airport fine". And now these dangerous leaks for Biden out of DC and London

It does look rather like Biden is being set up as the Fall Guy. He will take the blame for this, retire early? Harris takes over. New broom sweeps clean
    His no tanks in Baghdad routine this evening...it was quite Trumpian in that regard....and not for the first time this week... blatantly denying what we can all see, making it sound like he had done a deal which was the equivalent of with the Canadians to allow Americans back over the border and some nice Mounties were politely asking travellers for their passports on the roads to the border.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,199

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

Not doubting you for a moment, but any examples of this? Particularly interested in the 'every time' component.
    I remember there being some debate about whether he had become senile, or whether he had always been like that.
    The "he's not got dementia, he's always said completely dumb shit" defence.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

That makes no sense. You'd either say "He's not doddery," or "Yes OK he's doddery but defeating Trump is the only thing that matters."
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Who knows? He behaved as though it was true, which I'm sure was good enough for Putin.

You're very cocky about Biden's supposed failings, to the point of perhaps feigned incomprehension that anyone would still think he's better than Trump. For many of us, of course he's better. He's not a danger to democracy, an issue that completely dwarfs Afghanistan as a long-term concern for Americans.
    I’d argue Nick you’re quite cocky that Biden is the better President even though the evidence so far is the opposite - inflation, failure in Afghanistan etc. You seem to take the view that, as a politician, you know best. Not sure that’s correct.

FWIW, I think Trump was an idiot and, as I said at the time, I was against what he was doing. But (1) I’d argue the Democrats are putting forwards some very anti democratic measures themselves (to reiterate - HR1, packing the Supreme Court etc) and (2) America is the leader of the Free World. What Biden has done has heightened the risk of serious conflict by showing America is weak
    The "the west has solved inflation and so we can borrow like crazy" strategy of the US is another incredibly dangerous position.
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

moonshine said:

MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

Chameleon said:

Compelling.

Had we awoken on the morning after the election to Trump having taken the states he needed, what do you think he would have done in the subsequent 9 months that would have been more damaging to the cause of Western democracy than the last week?

Don’t get me wrong, the man’s a knobhead. But at least the foreign autocrats were wary of him.
    Trump and the GOP spent 4 years undermining democratic norms and replacing professional people at institutions with those who would subvert the rule of law. I think he would have done more of that if he'd been in power the last 9 months - he'd already threatened to sack Fauci and replace him with a lackey and the GOP are trying to undermine democracy in voting reform bills in Texas etc

Foreign leaders are also wary of Putin, Xi and Jong-Un . . . doesn't mean I want a leader like that as President of the USA.

Having a leader that respects democracy and fights to win but accepts when they lose is a key part of democracy. I have no fear that if Biden loses the election that he won't relinquish control.
    LOL. Pelosi, Clinton et al spent 4 years claiming Trump was an agent of the Russians and an illegitimate President but that’s not “undermining democracy”.

You’re smart in many ways Philip buy some times you truly are as thick as pig sh1t.
    Have you read Ms Clinton's book? It's pitiful, self justifying and poorly written. But it starts off by saying "I lost".

There are lots of bad things by politicians on all sides of the political spectrum. And there are lots of good things. There are many things Trump did as President that I personally supported, even some - such as removing the tax shield on carried interest - that cost me financially.

But the single most important thing for any politician is to accept the decision of voters. If you look at every country that has gone from democracy to shithole in the last 100 years (and there's a surprisingly large number of them), the descent has always started with a single seed: a politician who refused to accept the decision of the voters.

If Trump cannot say "I lost" and if he cannot say "I would accept the decision of the voters" then he is not a man who should elected to any democratic office.

However, as for Clinton, whatever she said in her book, her public message - all the way up to the 2020 election - was that Russia helped Trump to power. You can quote her book as much as you like but I’d argue she was being disingenuous - giving the fig leaf of saying she lost while all her public announcements and commentary made it clear she believed she had been cheated. Many other Democrats said the same:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-consent/?next_url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/hillary-clinton-trump-is-an-illegitimate-president/2019/09/26/29195d5a-e099-11e9-b199-f638bf2c340f_story.html?outputType=amp&outputType=amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/joe-bidens-bitter-harvest-11604963930

So should that not be mentioned? Should Russia be allowed to meddle with our elections with impunity and it can't even be brought up?
    If it’s true, it should be mentioned.

The question is how far it is true. The whole Christopher Steele evidence has been discredited completely. He was paid by the Clinton campaign, he was vehemently anti Trump and Steele admitted he couldn’t verify the claims.

Ask yourself. You are Russia, you want to undermine the US. How better than to allow some biased researcher to hear what he wanted to believe ?
    The Steele dossier was never what it was made out to be. It was an investigation, by a seasoned intelligence expert, that contained a lot of “may have”, “could have” and “x knew y”. It was incredibly measured in tone. And if you divorce yourself from partisan politics and read it, you’ll find yourself nodding a lot.

It was never a Trump hatchet job. However, people (as they are want to do) chose to take probabilistic statements and make them certainties.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

Another thing that struck me with Biden this evening, again it was all "America only" again. It is basically convention that the US president name checks partners working on these missions, and yet it was all only America can do this....not America and its long standing partners such as UK and France.

Yes, all the talk about “America’s back” is just waffle. Biden has shafted his allies and couldn’t give a f*ck. At least Trump didn’t pretend
    "didn't pretend" to care about his allies' interests, and that's a positive?

You really are embarrassing yourself here. There are no Biden fans.
    "There are no Biden fans."

There certainly were. But not any more
    They are a bit like the Afghan army. There but shed their uniforms as the first sight of trouble…
    So, linky time.
    What for the Afghan army shedding their uniforms? Plenty of links to be found. You can do it though for yourself :)
    Ooh, you're clever. I don't think I'd last five minutes in a mano a mano debate with you.

Now that we've got you being a dildo out of the way: I don't rememember anyone here having any enthusiasm at all for Biden getting the Democrat nomination, nor any enthusiasm at all for him getting the presidency for any other reason than that he was a. not Donald Trump or b. a precursor to Kamala. Do you know different?
    Other posters have made the point in here that there were many who were very enthusiastic about Biden. Why don’t you have a go at them?

I was trying to make a point, you responded with a personal insult. I’m sure you think because you are “right” that it’s justified but it’s not. We come on here to debate.

I really feel sorry for you. You seem like someone with a lot of issues. I hope you get some help.
    kamski said:

MrEd said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

Chameleon said:

Compelling.

“Disgraceful voter reforms”. What, you mean people have to show ID? Oh my God, how terrible! In a country where 90pc+ have a driving licence.

Not sure if you have been listening Philip but do you know about HR1, or the Democrats threatening to pack the Supreme Court or that for 4 years Democrats claimed Trump was an illegitimate President as he was a stooge of Putin?

90%+ is not a very compelling statistic when you look at the margin of victory in, frinstance, every pres election since and including 2000, is it?

Also, are the non driving licence holders disproportionately (1) dem niggaz or (2) dem whiteys?
    Or Billy Bob GOP voters?

God you're really making even more of a fool of yourself than usual. Do you really think people are convinced by this crap? Your dishonesty is just an insult to everyone's intelligence. People can easily look up for themselves how much more likely black Americans are than white Americans to have no ID.
    Yawn Kamski, just go back to your usual “Biden is so great, he’s wonderful and compassionate” you have no interest in facts so it is pointless debating you.
    More dishonesty from easily the most dishonest poster on here. Or can you point me to where I have said that?
    Have you looked up what proportion of black americans and white americans don't have ID?

So, whites without ID = 73% x 5% = 3.7%
    Blacks without ID = 13% x 13% = 1.7%

Hmmmmm….

😈
    Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

He is also saying fuck you to a lot of US collaborators and their wives and children who, even as we wibble away on here, are being raped, tortured and murdered. That is an actual thing which is actually happening. Do you quite like Biden for that?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    Aslan said:

moonshine said:

Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

Oh please. The cherry picked heartstring pullers that make a nice splashy headline but rarely hold up with the full story arises a month later but by then the media coverage moves on. Reminds me how the neocons told a bullshit story about babies thrown out of cribs in 1991. Turned out to be total bollocks.
    Uh, there is actual footage of babies and children being lifted up and handed to US and UK troops inside the airport. No one denies this. The little baby in the most iconic footage has now been reunited with her father inside, it seems - but that is down to luck as much as judgement. Other little children died in the heat waiting with their families outside the airport. Also filmed. There are multiple scenes of this.

Are you saying this is all faked?!
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,199
    MrEd said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

kamski said:

MrEd said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

Chameleon said:

Compelling.

Or Billy Bob GOP voters?

Sorry you are making no sense. I never said you were a liar or a racist. Where has that come from?
    1. You quote me as saying things like "Biden is so great". I have never said anything of the sort. You lied.
    2. When others say that black Americans are less likely to have ID than white Americans you say it is insulting to black people. More lies from you. Or do you honestly think that pointing out the fact that black americans are more likely to lack ID than white Americans is insulting black people's intelligence????

Do you understand now? Don't bother answering because I will only assume you are probably lying, like with everything else you post.
    My wife is a Black American and she gets far more annoyed about the assumption that Blacks don’t have IF, don’t know how to use computers etc etc than I do. She doesn’t really want some privileged European telling her she is oppressed…

However, you seem quite excised about things so let’s just call it quits and move onto other things
    So if black Americans are in fact far more likely to lack ID than white Americans, you still honestly think that it is insulting to black people to say that fact. Sorry, not buying it. It's bullshit. You're just a dishonest person, so yes let's call it quits.
    MrEd said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

Yes, all the talk about “America’s back” is just waffle. Biden has shafted his allies and couldn’t give a f*ck. At least Trump didn’t pretend

They are a bit like the Afghan army. There but shed their uniforms as the first sight of trouble…
    So, linky time.
    What for the Afghan army shedding their uniforms? Plenty of links to be found. You can do it though for yourself :)
    Ooh, you're clever. I don't think I'd last five minutes in a mano a mano debate with you.

Now that we've got you being a dildo out of the way: I don't rememember anyone here having any enthusiasm at all for Biden getting the Democrat nomination, nor any enthusiasm at all for him getting the presidency for any other reason than that he was a. not Donald Trump or b. a precursor to Kamala. Do you know different?
    Other posters have made the point in here that there were many who were very enthusiastic about Biden. Why don’t you have a go at them?

I was trying to make a point, you responded with a personal insult. I’m sure you think because you are “right” that it’s justified but it’s not. We come on here to debate.

I really feel sorry for you. You seem like someone with a lot of issues. I hope you get some help.
    Yes. I hope so too.

Bedtime.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

moonshine said:

MrEd said:

Dura_Ace said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

DavidL said:

Chameleon said:

Compelling.

I thought the investigation concluded there was no evidence that Russia helped Trump to get elected.
    Aslan said:

moonshine said:

Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

See also: Did six million really die?

I bet those Afghans are just having a really bad hair day.

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

MrEd said:

His no tanks in Baghdad routine this evening...it was quite Trumpian in that regard....and not for the first time this week... blatantly denying what we can all see, making it sound like he had done a deal which was the equivalent of with the Canadians to allow Americans back over the border and some nice Mounties were politely asking travellers for their passports on the roads to the border.
    This is the last 3 minutes of a press conference for which he was 50 minutes late, which lasted 25 minutes, and which had pre-arranged questions from 5 friendly journalists - the last question clearly threw him because it looks like a brave hack went off the White House script

Biden cannot talk coherently. He mumbles and stammers, he says the Afghans have "300 soldiers", he turns to his aides for help, he's flailing and senile. It is fucking obvious. I don't care if he is Left or Right he is just not up to the job, and the mere fact he is better than the insane Trump is no longer good enough

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1428787408330493962?s=20

Leon said:

Who were they?

To be fair to Sea Shanty Irish he has posted for years but only really engages around US elections. So don’t read too much into his “disappearance”

And he’s a fairly serious Democrat activist in Washington State.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited August 2021

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Just watched Highlander for the first time.

Very cheesy film but worth it for the Sean Connery cameo, and the Queen soundtrack - which is superb.

Did they ever write a bad song?

Yes.

Every great songwriter has written lots of poor material.
    Dylan?
    Dylan is a tricky one. I am so addicted to Blood on the Tracks that I’ve a very sketchy understanding of the rest of his career, especially the post 70s stuff.

I can’t point out a bad song, but surely there must be one or two.
    My favourite album (not just Dylan album) of all time. I have to admit I kind of lose track of what he did after that.
    In that case I am the bearer of good news. Spotify has the bootleg version of Blood on the Tracks, or at least a bootleg version. I think it is based on the New York City recording sessions. The official album is 50/50 NYC recordings and Minneapolis recordings.

Search for More Blood, More Tracks.

Such a pleasure to discover “new” versions of songs I fell in love with over 30 years ago.
    Will look. I know there's a few very different versions of Tangled Up In Blue out there.
    The bootleg Idiot Wind is fascinating. The full bitterness and hurt of the lyrics really take prominence. Whacks you in the face. Whereas the official version is more like a painting, making you feel the pain rather than having it explained. Both ways are pure genius.

Most songwriters would give their eye teeth to write just one Idiot Wind. Dylan wrote hundreds.
    The Cutting Edge is also worth a listen, although it is huge. Here you get all the outtakes from 1965-6. And see the evolution of songs on the Holy Trinity of Bringing it All Back Home, Highway 61 and Blonde and Blonde.
    Some morph beyond recognition in tempo, but remain ostensibly the same song. Some change their titles and lyrics almost entirely. Maggie's Farm was a single take.
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,178
    Leon said:

Aslan said:

moonshine said:

Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

Uh, there is actual footage of babies and children being lifted up and handed to US and UK troops inside the airport. No one denies this. The little baby in the most iconic footage has now been reunited with her father inside, it seems - but that is down to luck as much as judgement. Other little children died in the heat waiting with their families outside the airport. Also filmed. There are multiple scenes of this.

There have been multiple medical emergencies involving small children around the airport perimieter. Last count was seven such incidents.

There are helicopter extractions of people going on during hours of darkness in Kabul

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,743
    edited August 2021
    kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

Not doubting you for a moment, but any examples of this? Particularly interested in the 'every time' component.
    I remember there being some debate about whether he had become senile, or whether he had always been like that.
    The "he's not got dementia, he's always said completely dumb shit" defence.
    That was certainly a debate and a recurring one. I hadn't realised that the 'I'm not a fan of Trump but' lads were so fragile that even disagreeing with them counts as ridicule.

I certainly don't remember ever seeing the words 'Biden is great'. The least bad option seemed the general mood by the time of the presidential race.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

MrEd said:

This is the last 3 minutes of a press conference for which he was 50 minutes late, which lasted 25 minutes, and which had pre-arranged questions from 5 friendly journalists - the last question clearly threw him because it looks like a brave hack went off the White House script

Biden cannot talk coherently. He mumbles and stammers, he says the Afghans have "300 soldiers", he turns to his aides for help, he's flailing and senile. It is fucking obvious. I don't care if he is Left or Right he is just not up to the job, and the mere fact he is better than the insane Trump is no longer good enough

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1428787408330493962?s=20

You can see why ABC edited that interview the other day where he claimed his son was in the navy in Afghanistan, army in Iraq, navy in Iraq or army in Afghanistan.....
    IshmaelZ said:

Aslan said:

moonshine said:

Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

Yes, a thinly sourced article a day or two old is JUST LIKE the painstaking evidence thoroughly vetted and confirmed at the Nuremberg Trials. Genius.
    edited August 2021
    Charles said:

Leon said:

Who were they?

To be fair to Sea Shanty Irish he has posted for years but only really engages around US elections. So don’t read too much into his “disappearance”

I like SSI, he's a smart and salty old character, with some good stories

My only point is that Theuniondivvie asked for actual Biden fans on PB, implying there aren't any, and I said SSI is one such, he always defends Biden ardently (but yes he comes and goes as a PB-er)

FWIW I'd actually be interested to know if SSI would defend Biden now. SSI was partisan but largely honest. I reckon he would struggle with the evidence of the last week.....

Leon said:

Aslan said:

moonshine said:

Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

No, but there is a substantive gap between "faked" and "overblown and not being all it seems". Who was the baby? What was their nationality? What was the full story about their travel to Kabul? Would different policy decisions really have made the difference? How representative is this particular case? We don't know. It's all full of "it seems" and "it appears". People are pushing narratives, which always happens a lot, particularly in a pro-war, keep the US defense dollars running direction.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Leon said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

Who were they?

My only point is that Theuniondivvie asked for actual Biden fans on PB, implying there aren't any, and I said SSI is one such, he always defends Biden ardently (but yes he comes and goes as a PB-er)

FWIW I'd actually be interested to know if SSI would defend Biden now. SSI was partisan but largely honest. I reckon he would struggle with the evidence of the last week.....

I think TUD's complaint was primarily about the use of "always", which of course was an exaggeration.
    Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

moonshine said:

Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

No, but there is a substantive gap between "faked" and "overblown and not being all it seems". Who was the baby? What was their nationality? What was the full story about their travel to Kabul? Would different policy decisions really have made the difference? How representative is this particular case? We don't know. It's all full of "it seems" and "it appears". People are pushing narratives, which always happens a lot, particularly in a pro-war, keep the US defense dollars running direction.
    Are you ok?
    Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

moonshine said:

Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

Ah, you're bonkers

That's always helpful to know, with a new PB-er. Welcome!

And for me, it is 2.30am Greek time, here in north Lunnun, so goodnight and Kalispera
    Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

Aslan said:

moonshine said:

Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

Yes, a thinly sourced article a day or two old is JUST LIKE the painstaking evidence thoroughly vetted and confirmed at the Nuremberg Trials. Genius.
    Moron.
    Leon said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

Who were they?

It’s fascinating to me that turn out was so high. Because I reckon I’d have forfeited or spoiled my vote.
    moonshine said:

Aslan said:

Leon said:

Aslan said:

moonshine said:

Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

Are you ok?
    If you don't have a counter argument, it's OK. You can just admit it.
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Just watched Highlander for the first time.

Very cheesy film but worth it for the Sean Connery cameo, and the Queen soundtrack - which is superb.

Did they ever write a bad song?

Yes.

Every great songwriter has written lots of poor material.
    Dylan?
    Dylan is a tricky one. I am so addicted to Blood on the Tracks that I’ve a very sketchy understanding of the rest of his career, especially the post 70s stuff.

I can’t point out a bad song, but surely there must be one or two.
    My favourite album (not just Dylan album) of all time. I have to admit I kind of lose track of what he did after that.
    In that case I am the bearer of good news. Spotify has the bootleg version of Blood on the Tracks, or at least a bootleg version. I think it is based on the New York City recording sessions. The official album is 50/50 NYC recordings and Minneapolis recordings.

Search for More Blood, More Tracks.

Such a pleasure to discover “new” versions of songs I fell in love with over 30 years ago.
    Will look. I know there's a few very different versions of Tangled Up In Blue out there.
    The bootleg Idiot Wind is fascinating. The full bitterness and hurt of the lyrics really take prominence. Whacks you in the face. Whereas the official version is more like a painting, making you feel the pain rather than having it explained. Both ways are pure genius.

Most songwriters would give their eye teeth to write just one Idiot Wind. Dylan wrote hundreds.
    The Cutting Edge is also worth a listen, although it is huge. Here you get all the outtakes from 1965-6. And see the evolution of songs on the Holy Trinity of Bringing it All Back Home, Highway 61 and Blonde and Blonde.
    Some morph beyond recognition in tempo, but remain ostensibly the same song. Some change their titles and lyrics almost entirely. Maggie's Farm was a single take.
    Wow! Thanks!
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

Who were they?

It’s fascinating to me that turn out was so high. Because I reckon I’d have forfeited or spoiled my vote.
    My wife blames Biden for forcing her to vote for Harris… 😂
    Charles said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

Who were they?

Was it Biden or was it Trump? A more sensible Rep. candidate and she could have safely been too busy that day.
    Awful. This guy is a reliably informed ex-intel man

‘My buddy who helped the US Gov in Afghanistan and now lives here just told me the Taliban is going door to door in his town with a list. They are taking anyone who worked with the US or UN in any capacity. So far 12 people have disappeared just in his village.’

https://twitter.com/adamhousley/status/1428854136766832641?s=21
    moonshine said:

Charles said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

Who were they?

Was it Biden or was it Trump? A more sensible Rep. candidate and she could have safely been too busy that day.
    She voted Biden because she couldn’t vote Trump (she voted Gary Johnson in 2016).

She knows Harris well as a CA senator. Swore never to vote for her. But had no choice once she was on Biden’s ticket…
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    moonshine said:

Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

Is your take that he let down millions because he should be taking millions of refugees, or are you opposing the withdrawal and saying he should have done another surge and stayed forever?
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

So I would have picked KLOBUCHAR or Buttigieg but I'm now a Biden fan. Either of those other people would speak in more coherent sentences but they'd more than likely have followed Obama and Trump, looked at all the different shades of chaos that might follow and let the people in charge of the failed occupation sucker them into prolonging it.

The war was a mistake, there was no non-chaotic way to end it and Biden got it done.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    U.S. COVID update: More than 1,000 new deaths for 4th day in a row

- New cases: 182,035
    - Average: 149,456 (+4,054)
    - In hospital: 93,590 (+678)
    - In ICU: 23,043 (+156)
    - New deaths: 1,485

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1428867615422812166
    IshmaelZ said:

Aslan said:

IshmaelZ said:

Aslan said:

moonshine said:

Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

Who were they?

Moron.
    Just because another argument of yours has been shown to be stupid doesn't mean you have to resort to insults.

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

So I would have picked KLOBUCHAR or Buttigieg but I'm now a Biden fan. Either of those other people would speak in more coherent sentences but they'd more than likely have followed Obama and Trump, looked at all the different shades of chaos that might follow and let the people in charge of the failed occupation sucker them into prolonging it.

The war was a mistake, there was no non-chaotic way to end it and Biden got it done.
    Exactly my sentiments. I don't care that he stammers and forgets the right word. I care he makes the big calls right.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited August 2021
    I haven't been to a theatre performance for ages. The one mentioned in the header sounds interesting, especially for fans of politics.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730
    edited August 2021
    @Leon

Run of worst US Presidents:

1865 Andrew Jackson
    1869 Ulysses S. Grant
    1877 Rutherford B. Hayes
    1881 James Garfield (for three months)
    1881 Chester Arthur

Now how’s that for a shit run of crooks, racists and weirdos? With the very brief exception of Garfield before his assassination.
This discussion has been closed.