Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Poor ratings for Johnson, Patel and Starmer from Ipsos-MORI – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,280
    felix said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Not a bad line, I wonder if it's his own?

Actually I think it’s a terrible line

What’s the message that it’s trying to sell?

Who is the target audience? Do most people know what a burner phone is and do they care?

This will get him likes on Twitter but won’t actually achieve anything
    Agreed. I'm not entirely sure what a burner phone is, and I'm quite plugged into The Culture

Perhaps 5% of the nation will understand?
    I'm not plugged into The Culture, whatever the fcuk that is, and I know what they are. Still, street vibe Charlie agrees with you.
    Here is a tech magazine asking "what is a burner phone" - in February of this year

https://www.techtelegraph.co.uk/what-is-a-burner-phone-and-when-should-you-use-one/

Here is the Daily Mail from a few weeks ago. The phrase is put in inverted commas. "Burner phone"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9596557/Drug-users-ordered-phone-stunned-police-texting-want-help-you.html

If the Daily Mail has to put a phrase in inverted commas because it will strike readers as odd and not immediately understandable, then it is safe to say it has not entered the common lexicon. So yeah, you aren't plugged into The Culture or you would sense this
    It will be understood by anyone who watches American crime dramas.

As to effective messaging - who knows. It does have a hint of preaching to the fan club, though.
    I'm not even sure that is true. And this is partly because, if you google the phrase, there is dispute as to what it means, even for those who use the term

For some it means a non-smart phone that is simply cheap and can be thrown away if it "gets traced"

For others it is a phone that can be easily bought and used with a false identity

For others it is a cheap phone that must have prepaid minutes

And so on.

Therefore Charles is right, even if you have a decent grasp of what a burner phone is (one of these or similar definitions) then it is not clear what charge Labour is making against the government

"Government by burner phone". It reckon it is a line which sounded cool and hip to middle aged people in an ideas meeting, but now withers in embarrassment when it encounters the real world, like one of those deep-water fish in Lake Baikal which explode when they hit the surface
    Eh?

A burner phone (& associated number) is one which Is not connected with you, and which you will throw away.

So, if you were a drug dealer, you would use it to make transactions for a month and then bin it. If you were an insider trader, you would take advantage of the fact there was no link between that phone and you.

It’s a pretty common term, and it has only one meaning.

Whether it’s an effective attack line is another matter altogether.
    I suppose this is leaning into the negotiation by ministers (including Hancock) of favourable PPE and testing contracts using personal email or phones. I know what a burner is, I follow politics. But it took me several minutes to fumble for their gist.

I mean they’re not wrong. But why are they buggering about on Twitter with this meme? Call Hancock et al before a special parliamentary committee and let the negative press echo through every news medium, not just a small sub section of Twitter.

So many politicians are crap at politics, never mind governing.
    Labour love twitter. They use it to reinforce all their preconceptions about the plebs. My how they laughed ...right up the that exit poll.
    The Conservatives love history. Always fighting the last battle.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,416

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

I've just been watching the Olympics climbing on Red Button. I'm unsure if it should be an Olympic sport, but it's spectacular, and they're certainly athletes.

It’s the business, I love it.

For a progressive sport, I was surprised the Spanish contender was known as ‘El Matador’ though!
    Not sure it should be an olympic sport, it'll be clinging on by it's fingernails to be included at Paris.
    If that is the case, I'm sure they'll chalk it up to experience.
    If it does go to Paris, they should hold a bouldering round at Fontainebleau, just because. None of this plastic rubbish.

I think the main issue with it is there's no sense of quite how difficult the climbs are. Most of us would struggle to get off the ground.
    way back when, I did a fair bit of climbing and bouldering. found that it took only the slightest change in diffiulty and I'd get absolutely nowhere.

now I'm ... checks notes ... fat, old and well-off ... oh you lot can guess the rest.
    There's that point in life when we move from struggling to get off the ground on a good climbing wall to struggling to get off the settee in the living room
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Leon said:

Macron is introducing a bill to increase France's foreign aid budget from 0.37% of GDP in 2017 to 0.55% in 2022:

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/1423273760417742852

I wonder why he chose 0.55%, specifically?

Greetings

You were absolutely right about Sola Soho

The best restaurant experience I have had since before Ye Plague (not that there have been many during, but still)

Generally excellent, sometimes mind blowingly good. The demi glace on the duck. Ohhhhhh

However, it is NOT CHEAP. Jeez
    Glad you liked it. Yes, it's not cheap by any means - but prices of all good restaurants have increased hugely. I don't blame them - their costs have gone up a lot, they've no doubt got big losses to make up, they can't get staff easily, etc etc. You can fairly easily pay that much for a so-so meal in London.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Scottish lawmakers may investigate Trump Org with ‘McMafia’ order

As prosecutors in Manhattan continue their investigation into the Trump Organization's finances, attorneys in Scotland are citing its progress to advocate for opening a parallel investigation into how the former US president's company financed golf courses in the country.

Both of Trump's Scottish golf resorts have posted losses continuously since Trump has run them and owe millions of pounds to creditors. Harvie in February questioned how Trump was able to purchase both resorts between 2006 and 2014. Avaaz said Trump purchased both as part of a $400 million spending spree, which raised questions about how he had financed the deals.

https://www.businessinsider.com/scottish-lawmakers-may-investigate-trump-organization-mcmafia-order-2021-8?amp
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597

definitely the cleverest thing I have seen today.

A photo of Dominic Cummings?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,007

Leon said:

Macron is introducing a bill to increase France's foreign aid budget from 0.37% of GDP in 2017 to 0.55% in 2022:

Greetings

The best restaurant experience I have had since before Ye Plague (not that there have been many during, but still)

Generally excellent, sometimes mind blowingly good. The demi glace on the duck. Ohhhhhh

Glad you liked it. Yes, it's not cheap by any means - but prices of all good restaurants have increased hugely. I don't blame them - their costs have gone up a lot, they've no doubt got big losses to make up, they can't get staff easily, etc etc. You can fairly easily pay that much for a so-so meal in London.
    Yes, vastly raised prices are definitely a thing

Sheekey's has basically doubled.

I guess they are relying on a lot of diners with savings willing to splurge, but it cannot last
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,492
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

And 'burner' has also appeared in every single Michael Connelly novel for the past decade.

Of course everyone knows what they are.

Who is Michael Connolly?
    A best selling trashy novelist, and I mean proper best selling, creator of Harry Bosch. Ok for passing the time on a sun lounger though the series is a bit exhausted now. I prefer Robert Crais in that particular line.
    Ah yes, Bosch. I used to devour them on holiday. Ages ago now but I think I recall he was standard 'tough guy with a heart' material but with the quirk that he knocked up a good pasta (and quite often did).
    I am now astounded that I used to hang on Patricia Cornwell's every book. The past is indeed a foreign country.
    Yep - read those too. Kay Scarpetta. Solid work. And I'm confident of low-browing you off the court with Robert Walker's "Jessica Coran" potboilers. There's no way you would have spent hours with them, but I did.
    The Sue Grafton books are my favourite trash.
    She started writing them in the 80's, and kept on going for decades, still setting them in the 80s. Quite the nostalgia trip.
  • Options

Genius move from compassionate/psych-ops side of HM government, it must be said. 0.7% was too much for others to consider competing, but drop to 0.5% and everyone will want to beat that to be more generous than the isolationist, backward-looking Brexit Brits. End result, significantly more money overall for aid projects :smile:
  • Options
    Heathener said:

And 'burner' has also appeared in every single Michael Connelly novel for the past decade.

A burner phone also features prominently in the second Bourne film, where a Guardian journalist is given one in an effort to save his life.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Who is the target audience? Do most people know what a burner phone is and do they care?

Agreed. I'm not entirely sure what a burner phone is, and I'm quite plugged into The Culture

I'm not plugged into The Culture, whatever the fcuk that is, and I know what they are. Still, street vibe Charlie agrees with you.
    Here is a tech magazine asking "what is a burner phone" - in February of this year

https://www.techtelegraph.co.uk/what-is-a-burner-phone-and-when-should-you-use-one/

Here is the Daily Mail from a few weeks ago. The phrase is put in inverted commas. "Burner phone"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9596557/Drug-users-ordered-phone-stunned-police-texting-want-help-you.html

If the Daily Mail has to put a phrase in inverted commas because it will strike readers as odd and not immediately understandable, then it is safe to say it has not entered the common lexicon. So yeah, you aren't plugged into The Culture or you would sense this

As to effective messaging - who knows. It does have a hint of preaching to the fan club, though.
    I'm not even sure that is true. And this is partly because, if you google the phrase, there is dispute as to what it means, even for those who use the term

For some it means a non-smart phone that is simply cheap and can be thrown away if it "gets traced"

For others it is a phone that can be easily bought and used with a false identity

And so on.

Therefore Charles is right, even if you have a decent grasp of what a burner phone is (one of these or similar definitions) then it is not clear what charge Labour is making against the government

"Government by burner phone". It reckon it is a line which sounded cool and hip to middle aged people in an ideas meeting, but now withers in embarrassment when it encounters the real world, like one of those deep-water fish in Lake Baikal which explode when they hit the surface
    Eh?

A burner phone (& associated number) is one which Is not connected with you, and which you will throw away.

So, if you were a drug dealer, you would use it to make transactions for a month and then bin it. If you were an insider trader, you would take advantage of the fact there was no link between that phone and you.

I suppose this is leaning into the negotiation by ministers (including Hancock) of favourable PPE and testing contracts using personal email or phones. I know what a burner is, I follow politics. But it took me several minutes to fumble for their gist.

I mean they’re not wrong. But why are they buggering about on Twitter with this meme? Call Hancock et al before a special parliamentary committee and let the negative press echo through every news medium, not just a small sub section of Twitter.

Labour love twitter. They use it to reinforce all their preconceptions about the plebs. My how they laughed ...right up the that exit poll.
    Thing is, it's still a winning strategy if your opponents are also fighting the last battle, a battle that you won.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

I've just been watching the Olympics climbing on Red Button. I'm unsure if it should be an Olympic sport, but it's spectacular, and they're certainly athletes.

For a progressive sport, I was surprised the Spanish contender was known as ‘El Matador’ though!
    Not sure it should be an olympic sport, it'll be clinging on by it's fingernails to be included at Paris.
    If it does go to Paris, they should hold a bouldering round at Fontainebleau, just because. None of this plastic rubbish.

I think the main issue with it is there's no sense of quite how difficult the climbs are. Most of us would struggle to get off the ground.
    way back when, I did a fair bit of climbing and bouldering. found that it took only the slightest change in diffiulty and I'd get absolutely nowhere.

now I'm ... checks notes ... fat, old and well-off ... oh you lot can guess the rest.
    Yeah. Only too well. Its the dodgy tendons that would do for me, I think. Not the excess weight. Honest.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

And so on.

Eh?

Thing is, it's still a winning strategy if your opponents are also fighting the last battle, a battle that you won.
    That is very true. I mean Lab have ditched Jezza, though, and his presence secured the Cons my vote so perhaps there are some tweaks they have made. Far from enough yet imo.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,166
    edited August 2021
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

What is quite strange with this ISPOS-MORI poll, to me anyway, is that 39% "Dont Know" about Sir Keir, whereas the last two polls by them had 23% and 27% saying so - The more people see him the more they don't know? Is that usual?

I can explain. A person has an unfavourable view of him (eg you). Then they get to know him better. Now they are not so sure they dislike him (we're off you now). He seems ok. However they can't say they positively like him either. It's neither like nor dislike. So they move to 'don't know'. The holding pen. They could break to 'like' or 'dislike' depending on their impression as they get to know him even better than they do now (having got to know him a little better).
    Or they might stay in the bland, wish washy nothingness of ‘DK’ forever!
    I actually don't see much wrong with that. There's plenty of high profile public figures who I can't say I like and yet I can't say I dislike either. I'll give you just one - Kirsty Wark - but there are loads. And it certainly includes politicians. Rishi Sunak, Ed Davey, Andy Burnham, to name one from each party that spring to mind and who I'm ambivalent about. If surveyed about those 3 I'd answer 'don't know' if I was being truthful.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,017
    edited August 2021
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    A best selling trashy novelist, and I mean proper best selling, creator of Harry Bosch. Ok for passing the time on a sun lounger though the series is a bit exhausted now. I prefer Robert Crais in that particular line.
    Ah yes, Bosch. I used to devour them on holiday. Ages ago now but I think I recall he was standard 'tough guy with a heart' material but with the quirk that he knocked up a good pasta (and quite often did).
    I am now astounded that I used to hang on Patricia Cornwell's every book. The past is indeed a foreign country.
    Yep - read those too. Kay Scarpetta. Solid work. And I'm confident of low-browing you off the court with Robert Walker's "Jessica Coran" potboilers. There's no way you would have spent hours with them, but I did.
    She started writing them in the 80's, and kept on going for decades, still setting them in the 80s. Quite the nostalgia trip.
    Och, I'd put them a level above trash, I've reread a few of them which is my personal seal of approval. There's a strand of quality thriller/tec writing (mainly US) which goes back probably to the 50s, Ross McDonald, Tony Hillerman, Laurence Block, Sarah Paretsky, that I'd put in the 'decent' folder. Chandler and Hammett had a very good influence I think.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    Not a book reader then
    Currently reading R. D, Blackmore's Lorna Doone, so about 150 years to catch up. Mainly read history and science, with the cheeky bit of historical fiction thrown in.
    The only book I know that features my old school…
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Odd article here

https://www.polishnews.co.uk/skateboarding-to-breakdancing-the-urban-sports-making-the-olympics-young-again-world-news/

"browsing" an olympic sport apparently... (Think they meant surfing) ?
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    FYI, if anyone is interested in what is happening in the States, this is a bit of a shocker in the Recall vote in California:

https://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=36cdcb0b-7cfa-4b55-8704-d1f02a9fe6e5

Don't believe it myself but last three polls have been very much against the idea Newsom is safe
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    Not a book reader then
    Currently reading R. D, Blackmore's Lorna Doone, so about 150 years to catch up. Mainly read history and science, with the cheeky bit of historical fiction thrown in.
    My school featured in a novel I read. They lost a rugby match to the main character's school.

When I was there, we only had a football team. But it was no longer a grammar school by then.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    Ah, heard off but never read any. One of the 1st with a female (private) dick apparently per a quick wiki. And she didn't do a "Z is for ..." for some reason. Stopped at Y.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,616
    felix said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

And for that 5% it will resonate. Segmented marketing very clever.

And I suggest you (re)watch The Wire, or take a trip to any of your local drug dealing hotspots if you're not sure what a burner phone is.
    Eh? I know what a burner is. And I hate **** mobeys. And I'm old enough to remember Hornby Dublo was the highest tech a child got to see, the TV aside.

This is well targeted at young people who need to be motivated to vote Labour. The old farts who don't know what a burner is tend to be Tory voters.
    It is exactly the opposite. It is a term which sounds cool and trendy to much older people, but is *cringe* with young people, if they even understand it. Remember that one of the biggest fans of Line of Duty is the Queen.

This explains why the Uniondivvie is so turned on by it, as an elderly Scot it makes him feel part of Da Yoof, for a few sad, poignant seconds
    The Queen likes Line of Duty? She has gone up in my estimation. My Dad is 95 and has no desire to watch it and if he did would not have a clue what is going on.

Did she tell you that personally Leon?
    And he's far more likley to vote than anyone under 40!
    Only if I take him to the polling station.
  • Options
    Thought Banksy had been a bit quiet recently..

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    TOPPING said:

'segmented marketing' assures me that it is, in fact, really, really clever.

Anyone who has ever canvassed will know that the aim is not to convert the opposition, but to ensure that friendlies remain friendly.

As such no one gives a flying f*ck about what old white Tory blokes on PB think, save for being delighted that they are spending the entire thread talking about it, that is.
    Lol - explanation number 101 why Remain f***** up the Referendum. Didn't get it then ...still don't get it.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

And I suggest you (re)watch The Wire, or take a trip to any of your local drug dealing hotspots if you're not sure what a burner phone is.
    Eh? I know what a burner is. And I hate **** mobeys. And I'm old enough to remember Hornby Dublo was the highest tech a child got to see, the TV aside.

This is well targeted at young people who need to be motivated to vote Labour. The old farts who don't know what a burner is tend to be Tory voters.
    It is exactly the opposite. It is a term which sounds cool and trendy to much older people, but is *cringe* with young people, if they even understand it. Remember that one of the biggest fans of Line of Duty is the Queen.

This explains why the Uniondivvie is so turned on by it, as an elderly Scot it makes him feel part of Da Yoof, for a few sad, poignant seconds
    That's why you're all talking about it, eh? Pretty much ANY line by a shadow Cabinet Minister that gets any attention at all is a standout success.
    Exactly. Jon Trickett MP punches the air as he has the whole of PB talking about his tweet.

But of course back to reality, Big G doesn't know what it means so we can discard it as an effective marketing communication.
    There is another potential thought process for those who know what a burner phone is.

As privacy is so hard to keep in the electronic leaking era and trust or loyalty are almost nonexistent in acolytes, appointed employees and past associates, there may be a considerable cohort who think
    'in your place I would do the same'
    I think I would. It is a dirty game this leaking business, and plausible deniability is useful.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    Ah, heard off but never read any. One of the 1st with a female (private) dick apparently per a quick wiki. And she didn't do a "Z is for ..." for some reason. Stopped at Y.
    Deid..
  • Options
    felix said:

TOPPING said:

'segmented marketing' assures me that it is, in fact, really, really clever.

Anyone who has ever canvassed will know that the aim is not to convert the opposition, but to ensure that friendlies remain friendly.

As such no one gives a flying f*ck about what old white Tory blokes on PB think, save for being delighted that they are spending the entire thread talking about it, that is.
    Lol - explanation number 101 why Remain f***** up the Referendum. Didn't get it then ...still don't get it.
    I have absolutely no doubt why Remain lost the referendum.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    Illness and Death caught up with her before she started Z is for Zero...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,654

"Island in north Scotland". How to choke up the local transport. Or does he know something about the missile range on Benbecula, or RAF Saxa Vord, we don't?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Well off old white Tory blokes completely bewildered at newfangled "marketing" by Labour.

It will never catch on, says @BannedInParis.

tha't the second time you have referenced colour to make a dig. Try substituting another colour and see what it looks like.
  • Options
    philiph said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

That's why you're all talking about it, eh? Pretty much ANY line by a shadow Cabinet Minister that gets any attention at all is a standout success.
    Exactly. Jon Trickett MP punches the air as he has the whole of PB talking about his tweet.

But of course back to reality, Big G doesn't know what it means so we can discard it as an effective marketing communication.
    There is another potential thought process for those who know what a burner phone is.

As privacy is so hard to keep in the electronic leaking era and trust or loyalty are almost nonexistent in acolytes, appointed employees and past associates, there may be a considerable cohort who think
    'in your place I would do the same'
    I think I would. It is a dirty game this leaking business, and plausible deniability is useful.
    Also true.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

And so on.

Eh?

Wrong again - you're on a roll today. Always winning...
  • Options
    felix said:

TOPPING said:

Well off old white Tory blokes completely bewildered at newfangled "marketing" by Labour.

tha't the second time you have referenced colour to make a dig. Try substituting another colour and see what it looks like.
    Well off old pink Tory blokes completely bewildered at newfangled "marketing" by Labour.

Looks just fine.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Greetings

I guess they are relying on a lot of diners with savings willing to splurge, but it cannot last
    Interesting here in Spain restaurant prices at all levels seem pretty much unchanged. For quality and price way ahead of the UK equivalents.
  • Options
    Vive la France!

Liberté, égalité, fraternité.

and

French constitutional court backs President Macron's Covid pass

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1423285439876583428
  • Options
    On topic, Sunak's going to become as unpopular as an ex with the clap if he keeps the triple lock, cuts the UC uplift, and generally puts up payroll taxes.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

Well off old pink Tory blokes completely bewildered at newfangled "marketing" by Labour.

Looks just fine.
    As a gay Tory I resent that on many more levels - especially as my Mediterranean tan has not a hint of pink about it.
  • Options

On topic, Sunak's going to become as unpopular as an ex with the clap if he keeps the triple lock, cuts the UC uplift, and generally puts up payroll taxes.

When do we find out and can we bet on it/them?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,913
    edited August 2021
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

What is quite strange with this ISPOS-MORI poll, to me anyway, is that 39% "Dont Know" about Sir Keir, whereas the last two polls by them had 23% and 27% saying so - The more people see him the more they don't know? Is that usual?

I can explain. A person has an unfavourable view of him (eg you). Then they get to know him better. Now they are not so sure they dislike him (we're off you now). He seems ok. However they can't say they positively like him either. It's neither like nor dislike. So they move to 'don't know'. The holding pen. They could break to 'like' or 'dislike' depending on their impression as they get to know him even better than they do now (having got to know him a little better).
    Or they might stay in the bland, wish washy nothingness of ‘DK’ forever!
    I actually don't see much wrong with that. There's plenty of high profile public figures who I can't say I like and yet I can't say I dislike either. I'll give you just one - Kirsty Wark - but there are loads. And it certainly includes politicians. Rishi Sunak, Ed Davey, Andy Burnham, to name one from each party that spring to mind and who I'm ambivalent about. If surveyed about those 3 I'd answer 'don't know' if I was being truthful.
    I don’t think it is a good place to be for someone wanting to convince people he’s the man to replace the current leader of the country, personally.
  • Options

Will he? Secures the OAP vote; reinforces the JAM vote; Nics paid by employers and employees - guess it depends by how much and the shareout.
  • Options
    felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

Looks just fine.
    As a gay Tory I resent that on many more levels - especially as my Mediterranean tan has not a hint of pink about it.
    What about it is it that you resent?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,360
    edited August 2021

Well the UC uplift ends next month, so that will be pretty soon either way.

As for the rest, pass, there's talk of moving to budget to next year now.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/16/covid-impact-forces-sunak-to-consider-delaying-budget-until-next-year
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

I think the main issue with it is there's no sense of quite how difficult the climbs are. Most of us would struggle to get off the ground. If you look at a blank face of rock it is a lot easier to imagine not trying it...
    Well they are taking the surfing to Tahiti.

I think the speed round has to be on plastic as it needs two identical "versus" walls but the lead and bouldering would be great to see on real rocks.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182
    Eric Topol
    @EricTopol
    The striking relationship between vaccination and hospitalization in US states.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1423269949384974338
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

Looks just fine.
    Simply that you seem to think you're totally tuned in to your Liberal vibe while you're just as full of the same old prejudices and stereotypes as the rest of us and completely unaware of it. I'm old, white, gay and proud - in your world all three seem to justify slurs and sneers. Clueless.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,939

Macron is introducing a bill to increase France's foreign aid budget subsidies to Alstom, Schenieder Electric and Vinci from 0.37% of GDP in 2017 to 0.55% in 2022

FTFY.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,152

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    Not a book reader then
    Blundells? Did you meet a guy called Mark Tranchant, nickname, Troon whilst there?
  • Options
    felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Greetings

Interesting here in Spain restaurant prices at all levels seem pretty much unchanged. For quality and price way ahead of the UK equivalents.
    That's because Spain's restaurant sector is dependant on tourists, while the UK's is not.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

Looks just fine.
    Simply that you seem to think you're totally tuned in to your Liberal vibe while you're just as full of the same old prejudices and stereotypes as the rest of us and completely unaware of it. I'm old, white, gay and proud - in your world all three seem to justify slurs and sneers. Clueless.
    That was some leap. You're an old, white, Tory. As are so many on PB.

It was not a huge deductive leap for me to work out that that was what you are. And I was right. Oh and you're gay, thanks for telling me.

And old, white, (gay or not gay) Tories have shown themselves to be bewildered by Lab's latest marketing strategy or rather, by Jon Trickett's tweet.

Get over yourself and embrace the truth would be my advice.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Eric Topol
    @EricTopol
    The striking relationship between vaccination and hospitalization in US states.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1423269949384974338

I think that's not a good way of looking at the data, because it confuses the number of cases (which are influenced by many factors of which vaccination coverage is only one, and the peaks of which are not necessarily synchronised across states) with the hospitalisations and deaths arising from those cases (which are largely about vaccines, plus to an extent age and other risk profiles of the populations).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Greetings

That's because Spain's restaurant sector is dependant on tourists, while the UK's is not.
    Hmm, not so sure about that. The Spanish restaurants dependent on tourists tend to be pretty awful. It's the ones the Spaniards go to which are often superb.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

Looks just fine.

It was not a huge deductive leap for me to work out that that was what you are. And I was right. Oh and you're gay, thanks for telling me.

And old, white, (gay or not gay) Tories have shown themselves to be bewildered by Lab's latest marketing strategy or rather, by Jon Trickett's tweet.

Apparently it was pretty hard for you to understand the other day that I also voted remain. Maybe you could try removing your own blinkered views about race/age/sexuality before handing out unsolicited advice to others.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/16/covid-impact-forces-sunak-to-consider-delaying-budget-until-next-year
    The triple lock does need to go - though aware it appeals to much of the Tories base. Though in the spirit of fairness if I end up paying more tax whilst the oldies are showered with goodies than the resentment will just build.
  • Options

The triple lock does need to go - though aware it appeals to much of the Tories base. Though in the spirit of fairness if I end up paying more tax whilst the oldies are showered with goodies than the resentment will just build.
    The quadruple lock sound better to me.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Greetings

Hmm, not so sure about that. The Spanish restaurants dependent on tourists tend to be pretty awful. It's the ones the Spaniards go to which are often superb.
    Spain is massively more dependent on tourism than the UK. And pretty much all of those tourists eat in restaraunts.

By contrast, Brits not going on vacation increases demand for restaurant meals.

Come on Nabavi, this isn't rocket surgery.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133
    edited August 2021

That’s them told

• Options
    edited August 2021

Indeed. At some point the younger voters will finally turn out and vote.

I mean, just get rid of the NI exemption for pensionable age workers for starters.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    moonshine said:

Parliament's in recess, so you do what you can to get attention.

And it's mid-afternoon, and the thread is STILL talking about it.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

That’s them told

Are you not going to post his next proclamation, where he announces that he is transitioning and will be playing for the USWNT in the 2024 Olympics?
  • Options

I mean, just get rid of the NI exemption for pensionable age workers for starters.
    That really is an obvious (if painful) place to start. Also fully logical as there is no longer an age at which retirement from the workplace is taken. Gone are the days of 60 female / 65 male. People can opt to continue in employment and so should continue to make the same contributions.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

"Island in north Scotland". How to choke up the local transport. Or does he know something about the missile range on Benbecula, or RAF Saxa Vord, we don't?
    You can bet he's not talking about Orkney or Shetland
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:

That’s them told

Are you not going to post his next proclamation, where he announces that he is transitioning and will be playing for the USWNT in the 2024 Olympics?
    Hasn't shown up on Politics for All yet. As soon as it does I'll be on it.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    DougSeal said:

That’s them told

Has anyone ever seen @Leon and Trump in the same room? :wink:

Though I do have to admit, Leon's prediction ("The USA [are most woke], and they will come second behind no-nonsense, get-things-done, what-the-fuck-is-knee-taking China") - as I noted at the time, the odds were attractive (but I followed my rule of not betting on things that I don't know much about, here the strength of the Chinese team - and given my limited knowledge I wasn't sure that even those odds were value).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Spain is massively more dependent on tourism than the UK. And pretty much all of those tourists eat in restaraunts.

Yes, exactly, pretty much all of those tourists eat in restaurants, which are mostly rubbish restaurants aimed at tourists. Sure, they're cheap, but if you're a tourist in Spain and don't know have local knowledge about where to go, you've got a pretty good chance of getting a meal which is mediocre at best, and worse than the equivalents in Italy, Greece, or even France.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

Looks just fine.

Apparently it was pretty hard for you to understand the other day that I also voted remain. Maybe you could try removing your own blinkered views about race/age/sexuality before handing out unsolicited advice to others.

Jeez if leaping to conclusions was an Olympic sport you would win gold ("gold" is ok to use, is it?).

The other day you said you loathed the EU. Which is pretty funny as you live in the EU regardless of how you voted although if I were using my Sherlock Holmes powers again (easy when it comes to you) I would say you voted Remain because you wanted the EU to maintain links to your homeland rather than anything else and if so fair enough.

And now, because I correctly identify the preponderance of old, white, Tory PB-ers, of which you are one such, I have blinkered views about race/age/sexuality [??].

You are an old, white, Tory who can't understand a tweet aimed at Lab's supporters who include many people who are old and white but perhaps not so many as Cons' supporters or PB denizens.

You are looking to be outraged where there is no reason to be outraged.
  • Options
    philiph said:

That really is an obvious (if painful) place to start. Also fully logical as there is no longer an age at which retirement from the workplace is taken. Gone are the days of 60 female / 65 male. People can opt to continue in employment and so should continue to make the same contributions.
    My father recently started a short term job (to help clear the backlog in health sector) and he's equally bemused and happy that he doesn't have to pay NI.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

DougSeal said:

That’s them told

Though I do have to admit, Leon's prediction that China would top the golds looks to be spot on - as I noted at the time, the odds were attractive (but I followed my rule of not betting on things that I don't know much about, here the strength of the Chinese team).
    I've been too afraid to ask @Leon or anyone else but...what exactly does 'woke' mean?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

That’s them told

Looks fake.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    Deid..
    Ah right. Perfectly understandable then. Glad I didn't waffle on too much about that point - why not Zebra, why not Zipcode, why not ... etc
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

That’s them told

Looks fake.
    I thought that, but if so it's been picked up by multiple news outlets, some of them even reputable (I did a quick google)
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,385

So you are forcing the pensioners to pay towards a pension they are already receiving?

What about occupational pensions? will you include those in the NI take?
  • Options

philiph said:

My father recently started a short term job (to help clear the backlog in health sector) and he's equally bemused and happy that he doesn't have to pay NI.
    It's completely barmy. What's more the earlier it's fixed, the less the political cost, since the proportion of pensioners continuing to work is increasing steadily. George Osborne should have done it back in 2010, when few people would have noticed and we were all in it together.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

DougSeal said:

That’s them told

Though I do have to admit, Leon's prediction that China would top the golds looks to be spot on - as I noted at the time, the odds were attractive (but I followed my rule of not betting on things that I don't know much about, here the strength of the Chinese team).
    I've been too afraid to ask @Leon or anyone else but...what exactly does 'woke' mean?
    Something (or someone) you dislike, as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:

That’s them told

"That woman with the orange skin played terribly and spends too much time pronouncing on 'Radical Left' politics and not doing her job" :wink:
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

DougSeal said:

That’s them told

Now you're just gaslighting us.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

That’s them told

Looks fake.
    That's what I thought but it's been picked up in a lot of places.
  • Options

So you are forcing the pensioners to pay towards a pension they are already receiving?

Pensions are exempt, I'm talking about pensioners who are still earning a salary. The salary element should attract NI.
  • Options

NI isn't just for pensions it's also for the NHS....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:

That’s them told

The scope creep with the "Woke" bomb (as used by the crazy Right) is becoming absurd now.

It's come to mean anything and everything about the modern world that irritates blokes who'd prefer to live in the 1950s version of it.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

That’s them told

Looks fake.
    It is strangely articulate for The Donald, irregardless of content.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

DougSeal said:

That’s them told

Seriously. What does it mean?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,134
    edited August 2021

Possibly on topic - I've noticed that my more left friend struggle with condemning Sunak. Obviously they can't like him - Evul Tory - but they find it hard to really go to town.

I think the most dangerous development for both LAB and the LDs would be the Tories replacing Johnson with Sunak in the run-up to the general election.
    Very true, but it all depends on how the economy fares over the next couple of years. Sunak's window of opportunity might be best opened sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    On the subject of the women's football...

https://www.espn.com/soccer/womens-olympic-tournament/story/4446142/olympics-2020-sweden-vs-canada-gold-medal-match-moved-due-to-heat-concerns

The Tokyo 2020 women's Olympic soccer gold-medal match between Canada and Sweden has been moved from its 11 a.m. local time on Friday (10 p.m. ET, Thursday) start to 9 p.m. local time (8 a.m. ET, Friday) after both teams expressed concern about playing in the Japanese heat.

Would have been interesting to see if this would have happened with the USA in the final given that the kick off time was clearly set to appeal to the US market.
  • Options

Pensions are exempt, I'm talking about pensioners who are still earning a salary. The salary element should attract NI.
    Employee NI, the company still pays employer NI even if the employee is over the pension age.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

That’s them told

Looks fake.
    It is strangely articulate for The Donald, irregardless of content.
    He appears to have gone full Miss Haversham.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Greetings

Actually on this Mr Nabavi is spot on. I live near a tourist zone but one which is largely Spanish tourists. The top local restaurants do get Spanish tourist trade but they also open year round, have very high standards, are cheap by British standards but the quality is way higher. The best restaurants in my area attract those who live here all or most of the year and in most of the cases I'm thinking of are family run and of very long standing.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Rationalising National Insurance does make sense. But I have never understood PB Tories' animosity to the triple lock. The full state pension is less than £10,000 a year which is less than the minimum wage. It is as mysterious as all those backbenchers who used to demand concessions for garden centres.
  • Options
    felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

Looks just fine.

You're the Leavers' Remainer, Felix.

Like Frank Field is the Tories' Labourite.
  • Options

philiph said:

Rationalising National Insurance does make sense. But I have never understood PB Tories' animosity to the triple lock. The full state pension is less than £10,000 a year which is less than the minimum wage. It is as mysterious as all those backbenchers who used to demand concessions for garden centres.
    It'd make more sense to merge NI and income tax, and abolish the allowances for bank interest and share dividends, and tax income fairly. And leave the triple lock.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Yes, exactly, pretty much all of those tourists eat in restaurants, which are mostly rubbish restaurants aimed at tourists. Sure, they're cheap, but if you're a tourist in Spain and don't know have local knowledge about where to go, you've got a pretty good chance of getting a meal which is mediocre at best, and worse than the equivalents in Italy, Greece, or even France.
    Oh come on Nabavi, you've completely ignored my point about Brits not going on vacation, and therefore boosting demand for restaurant meals in the UK. And you also seem to believe that in Spain, restaurants fall neatly into two categories, which do in any way affect each other.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,385
    eek said:

NI isn't just for pensions it's also for the NHS....
    Perhaps we should have 2 deductions, one for future pensions and one for hospitals and health. Or even combine the second payment into Tax where it belongs. I wouldn't object to paying more tax on my teacher's pension for health etc, but not pensions.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Bona fide QTWTAIN. @JohnRentoul.

'Would you pay £87 for Tom Kerridge’s steak and chips?'

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/would-you-pay-87-for-tom-kerridges-steak-and-chips-vhmr8pnp7

• Options

Carnyx said:

Benbecula, then. Or maybe KInloch on Rum.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

DougSeal said:

That’s them told

The scope creep with the "Woke" bomb (as used by the crazy Right) is becoming absurd now.

It's come to mean anything and everything about the modern world that irritates blokes who'd prefer to live in the 1950s version of it.
    You mean like the EU having its origins in the 1950s?
  • Options
    Interesting contrast between Ireland and the UK in vaxx rates for the younger cohorts. For 18-29, Ireland has a take-up of 73% double-vaxxed and 78.5% first dose only so far. That's miles better than we're managing - we're only at around 60% first jab.

It's hard to see what would account for such a big difference. The government and PHE should try to find out.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

rcs1000 said:

Where is this local knowledge of which you speak available? Is it some well fed señor on an esquina tapping his nose and whispering out the name of establishments to the select few?

For anyone remotely interested there's a whole world of information out there on good places to eat in Spain.
  • Options
    30,215 cases reported in the UK today compared with 31,117 reported last Thursday. Still dropping, just.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

Selebian said:

DougSeal said:

That’s them told

Seriously. What does it mean?
    If you substitute "political correctness gone mad", controlling for grammar, you will get a pretty good idea.

ie it means anything that any right-thinking (esp. a Felix-type old, white, Tory) person finds objectionable about today's society.

Equal rights, against racism, pro-diverse, etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

Looks just fine.

Jeez if leaping to conclusions was an Olympic sport you would win gold ("gold" is ok to use, is it?).

The other day you said you loathed the EU. Which is pretty funny as you live in the EU regardless of how you voted although if I were using my Sherlock Holmes powers again (easy when it comes to you) I would say you voted Remain because you wanted the EU to maintain links to your homeland rather than anything else and if so fair enough.

And now, because I correctly identify the preponderance of old, white, Tory PB-ers, of which you are one such, I have blinkered views about race/age/sexuality [??].

You are an old, white, Tory who can't understand a tweet aimed at Lab's supporters who include many people who are old and white but perhaps not so many as Cons' supporters or PB denizens.

You are looking to be outraged where there is no reason to be outraged.
    And you are pretty thick it seems. Once you use any 'ism' to sneer as you do you give carte 'noir' [sic] for all of it. For the record I understand the tweet - not completely gaga - just think it is pretty lame, like your attempts to gloss over your prejudices. Clearly you don't get it and never will. Such is life.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Bona fide QTWTAIN. @JohnRentoul.

'Would you pay £87 for Tom Kerridge’s steak and chips?'

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/would-you-pay-87-for-tom-kerridges-steak-and-chips-vhmr8pnp7

Where are the chips?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Benbecula, then. Or maybe KInloch on Rum.
    Edit: ort maybe he means Gruinard.
This discussion has been closed.