Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Poor ratings for Johnson, Patel and Starmer from Ipsos-MORI – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,114
    Charles said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Not a bad line, I wonder if it's his own?

Actually I think it’s a terrible line

What’s the message that it’s trying to sell?

Who is the target audience? Do most people know what a burner phone is and do they care?

This will get him likes on Twitter but won’t actually achieve anything
    Agreed. I'm not entirely sure what a burner phone is, and I'm quite plugged into The Culture

Perhaps 5% of the nation will understand?
    I'm not plugged into The Culture, whatever the fcuk that is, and I know what they are. Still, street vibe Charlie agrees with you.
    Here is a tech magazine asking "what is a burner phone" - in February of this year

https://www.techtelegraph.co.uk/what-is-a-burner-phone-and-when-should-you-use-one/

Here is the Daily Mail from a few weeks ago. The phrase is put in inverted commas. "Burner phone"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9596557/Drug-users-ordered-phone-stunned-police-texting-want-help-you.html

If the Daily Mail has to put a phrase in inverted commas because it will strike readers as odd and not immediately understandable, then it is safe to say it has not entered the common lexicon. So yeah, you aren't plugged into The Culture or you would sense this
    It will be understood by anyone who watches American crime dramas.

As to effective messaging - who knows. It does have a hint of preaching to the fan club, though.
    It’s as effective as saying “Keir Starmer’s the Jeb Bartlett of the UK”
    Next we will have Angela Rayner saying "Sunak is running an economy like a Hopper doing reup" in a heavy Baltimore accent

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,177

If I were the government I would be making huge pushes on these stories...
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-58080116

https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-57643577

Its difficult, because it can easily be twisted as being very insensitive and leaping on a personal tragedy.
    Maybe, but don't you think it would concentrate some minds?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    I've just been watching the Olympics climbing on Red Button. I'm unsure if it should be an Olympic sport, but it's spectacular, and they're certainly athletes.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,694

Its difficult, because it can easily be twisted as being very insensitive and leaping on a personal tragedy.
    At least one such report recently was fairly clearly with the support of the family. So it's not necessarily an issue.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/04/fit-and-healthy-man-42-from-southport-who-rejected-vaccine-dies-of-covid
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,066

Heathener said:

And 'burner' has also appeared in every single Michael Connelly novel for the past decade.

Of course everyone knows what they are.

Who is Michael Connolly?
    A best selling trashy novelist, and I mean proper best selling, creator of Harry Bosch. Ok for passing the time on a sun lounger though the series is a bit exhausted now. I prefer Robert Crais in that particular line.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,226
    DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?
    A: To avoid meeting Nicola Sturgeon...

I approve of Boris putting Nicola in her place.
    It’s a delicate balance, and he needs to avoid insulting the Scots, but Nicola pretends to a status she simply does not have.
    She is the First Minister. And this is not an isolated incident but a sustained pattern of refusal to engage. Which is not good for government at any level.
    Nicola is given an inch and takes a yard.
    She pretty much weaponises all her engagements with U.K. level people and institutions.

Perhaps a period of isolation is indeed called for.
    "Is called for": it's been inflicted by the government in Whitehall for years now, was my point.
    Well we probably agree that Whitehall’s approach to Scotland has been disastrous.

But I’m fed up with Nicola.
    She is largely given a free ride by the media, too, even though she wants to BREAK UP MY COUNTRY.
    Please be precise: your state. Noit your country.

Not this crap again.

Nationalists rightly dont like being told their view of nationality is invalid. Unionists rightly dont like it either.

Country status is inherently arbitrary as all matters of borders and identity are. They are real if people consider them real, and if they can persuade others internationally they can get recognised.

Insulting people by saying their country is not a country is just being impolite for no reason, since theres no objective reality to it.

The UK is my country. England is too, in this country of countries. It is perfectly ok for people to not feel the same and to want to break up either of those entities or indeed both. But they don't get to determine what others feel anymore than I could determine what they feel.
    Well for me my only country is Scotland, UK is not and never has been a "country" and anyone pretending so is not right in the tattie.
    This is my precise point malc. You dont consider it your country, whatever legalities exist. That's your view and its fine. You cannot be forced to feel an attachment to the UK.

Why be so rude and deny the validity of others taking a different view though? Who are you to claim you have the right to declare your country is a country but others who take a different view cannot do the same?

That's just plain disrespectful to one another and I cannot see the point - my view that the UK is my country, held by many, in no way diminishes your strong view that only Scotland is your country. Sure, someone will point to states and law, but your identity remains unaffected to you.

Why cannot my identity be real? Because it was a legal construct centuries ago? All countries are constructs, they are all real if enough people feel they are.

You dont want your identity dictated by others - why is it therefore ok for you to dictate about others' identities?
    All countries are ultimately imaginary constructs, from San Marino to China. If everyone woke up tomorrow and stopped believing in, say, Canada then Canada would cease to exist. As an intellectual challenge try and come up with a workable definition of "Europe" (not just the EU) that is not a cultural contruct.
    Europe is that part of Asia being shoved up towards the North Pole by the drift northwards of Africa.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,333
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Who is the target audience? Do most people know what a burner phone is and do they care?

Agreed. I'm not entirely sure what a burner phone is, and I'm quite plugged into The Culture

And for that 5% it will resonate. Segmented marketing very clever.

And I suggest you (re)watch The Wire, or take a trip to any of your local drug dealing hotspots if you're not sure what a burner phone is.
    Eh? I know what a burner is. And I hate **** mobeys. And I'm old enough to remember Hornby Dublo was the highest tech a child got to see, the TV aside.

This is well targeted at young people who need to be motivated to vote Labour. The old farts who don't know what a burner is tend to be Tory voters.
    It is exactly the opposite. It is a term which sounds cool and trendy to much older people, but is *cringe* with young people, if they even understand it. Remember that one of the biggest fans of Line of Duty is the Queen.

This explains why the Uniondivvie is so turned on by it, as an elderly Scot it makes him feel part of Da Yoof, for a few sad, poignant seconds
    That's why you're all talking about it, eh? Pretty much ANY line by a shadow Cabinet Minister that gets any attention at all is a standout success.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

And I suggest you (re)watch The Wire, or take a trip to any of your local drug dealing hotspots if you're not sure what a burner phone is.
    Eh? I know what a burner is. And I hate **** mobeys. And I'm old enough to remember Hornby Dublo was the highest tech a child got to see, the TV aside.

This is well targeted at young people who need to be motivated to vote Labour. The old farts who don't know what a burner is tend to be Tory voters.
    And even if you don't know exactly what a burner phone is, it doesn't sound reputable, does it?

(The number of Conservative-friendly posters who've pounced on this as a bad idea does make me think it's probably a good idea that needs to be rubbished. Remember chaps- Never interrupt your enemy if they're making a mistake.)
    Even if they are right and it's the very youngest who don't get it, it still has meaning for the 20 and 30 and 40 somethings, also Labour territory.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Leon, you have shocked me. I think 99% of population know what a burner phone is. I can't think of any appropriate TV or film doesn't mention them umpteen times.

Obviously appropriate is important. They don't crop up much in Pride and Prejudice.
    The burner phone thing comes from Joanna Cherry (not Labour) questioning Michael Gove (also not Labour).
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1423244612592939008
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

Possibly on topic - I've noticed that my more left friend struggle with condemning Sunak. Obviously they can't like him - Evul Tory - but they find it hard to really go to town.

I think the most dangerous development for both LAB and the LDs would be the Tories replacing Johnson with Sunak in the run-up to the general election.
    Unlikely as long as the Tories continue to lead the polls.

Thatcher was only replaced by her Chancellor, Major, once the Tories trailed Kinnock's Labour badly after the poll tax.

Sunak may be the most popular senior politician at the moment but Boris still has higher favourables than Starmer too.

It looks like Starmer's best chance of becoming PM would be for Priti Patel to become Tory leader, she looks to be far more unpopular than Boris overall
    The Tories are polling worse than the 11.7% lead at GE2019 - therefore they will lose seats. They'll also suffer in Remain seats where the LDs are in second place and there are a lot of graduates.
    They polled worse than that 11.7% lead in 11 of the last 13 polls before GE2019 too!
    Any polling which shows the Tories in decline is immutable. Any seat the LDs win in a by-election will be retained and extended to gains all over the south. Do keep up! Don't you know any history?!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?
    A: To avoid meeting Nicola Sturgeon...

I approve of Boris putting Nicola in her place.
    It’s a delicate balance, and he needs to avoid insulting the Scots, but Nicola pretends to a status she simply does not have.
    She is the First Minister. And this is not an isolated incident but a sustained pattern of refusal to engage. Which is not good for government at any level.
    Nicola is given an inch and takes a yard.
    She pretty much weaponises all her engagements with U.K. level people and institutions.

Perhaps a period of isolation is indeed called for.
    "Is called for": it's been inflicted by the government in Whitehall for years now, was my point.
    Well we probably agree that Whitehall’s approach to Scotland has been disastrous.

But I’m fed up with Nicola.
    She is largely given a free ride by the media, too, even though she wants to BREAK UP MY COUNTRY.
    Please be precise: your state. Noit your country.

Not this crap again.

Nationalists rightly dont like being told their view of nationality is invalid. Unionists rightly dont like it either.

Country status is inherently arbitrary as all matters of borders and identity are. They are real if people consider them real, and if they can persuade others internationally they can get recognised.

Insulting people by saying their country is not a country is just being impolite for no reason, since theres no objective reality to it.

The UK is my country. England is too, in this country of countries. It is perfectly ok for people to not feel the same and to want to break up either of those entities or indeed both. But they don't get to determine what others feel anymore than I could determine what they feel.
    Well for me my only country is Scotland, UK is not and never has been a "country" and anyone pretending so is not right in the tattie.
    This is my precise point malc. You dont consider it your country, whatever legalities exist. That's your view and its fine. You cannot be forced to feel an attachment to the UK.

Why be so rude and deny the validity of others taking a different view though? Who are you to claim you have the right to declare your country is a country but others who take a different view cannot do the same?

That's just plain disrespectful to one another and I cannot see the point - my view that the UK is my country, held by many, in no way diminishes your strong view that only Scotland is your country. Sure, someone will point to states and law, but your identity remains unaffected to you.

Why cannot my identity be real? Because it was a legal construct centuries ago? All countries are constructs, they are all real if enough people feel they are.

You dont want your identity dictated by others - why is it therefore ok for you to dictate about others' identities?
    All countries are ultimately imaginary constructs, from San Marino to China. If everyone woke up tomorrow and stopped believing in, say, Canada then Canada would cease to exist. As an intellectual challenge try and come up with a workable definition of "Europe" (not just the EU) that is not a cultural contruct.
    Europe is that part of Asia being shoved up towards the North Pole by the drift northwards of Africa.
    As good as any!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2021
    Carnyx said:

At least one such report recently was fairly clearly with the support of the family. So it's not necessarily an issue.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/04/fit-and-healthy-man-42-from-southport-who-rejected-vaccine-dies-of-covid
    See my full post...as i said you need the family onboard, but is one thing for them to come and speak to.the media, is more dicey for government to go round putting feelers out if familes want to do this.

You could easily find they are no fans of the government and perhaps blame Boris handling in part for higher than necessary cases etc. And then they go to the media and say our lovely son died, and the bastards from the government.want to spin it to boost their vaccine campaign.
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

It is exactly the opposite. It is a term which sounds cool and trendy to much older people, but is *cringe* with young people, if they even understand it. Remember that one of the biggest fans of Line of Duty is the Queen.

This explains why the Uniondivvie is so turned on by it, as an elderly Scot it makes him feel part of Da Yoof, for a few sad, poignant seconds
    That's why you're all talking about it, eh? Pretty much ANY line by a shadow Cabinet Minister that gets any attention at all is a standout success.
    "Line". In the context of, erm. burner phones ...
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    Charles said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

That’s what I disagree about - so he’s saying the government are like a criminal gang? I don’t think that will resonate with people.
    :D:D:D
    It’s too clever by half.

I’m willing to bet that people don’t raise this on the doorsteps at the next election

Edit: and the claim that the government is acting like a criminal gang won’t gain traction because it is implausible to most voters
    It's also implying that the government are acting like a competent criminal gang and the British public generally like competent governments (yes, I know they voted for Johnson, but the alternative was Corbyn!)
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735

I've just been watching the Olympics climbing on Red Button. I'm unsure if it should be an Olympic sport, but it's spectacular, and they're certainly athletes.

Despite all the attempted codification about amateurs, peak of the sport, faster, strong higher etc, imo criticisms of which sports are in generally comes down to should something not be an Olympic sport because it wasn't one when we were growing up.

And the answer is no, that does not matter, if you look at the history of the Olympics the sports included have always been changing, and indeed should do to reflect their own era. Lots of people stay fit through climbing, it can be done competitively, so why not an Olympic sport?
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Yep.
    'This is a terrible line with absolutely no resonance, and here are 30 posts from me proving it!'
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Edit: Leon's reservations noted, however.
    So young people watch Line of Duty? So young people watch TV? And this will get them off their backsides to vote Labour. It's a view.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Oh Jimmy, Jimmy!
  • Options
    edited August 2021

kjh said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Leon, you have shocked me. I think 99% of population know what a burner phone is. I can't think of any appropriate TV or film doesn't mention them umpteen times.

Obviously appropriate is important. They don't crop up much in Pride and Prejudice.
    The burner phone thing comes from Joanna Cherry (not Labour) questioning Michael Gove (also not Labour).
    Cultural appropriation innit. But nice spot.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

The Queen likes Line of Duty? She has gone up in my estimation. My Dad is 95 and has no desire to watch it and if he did would not have a clue what is going on.

Did she tell you that personally Leon?
    And he's far more likley to vote than anyone under 40!
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Er, no, Nick. We're laughing at it
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Anyone who knows anything about criminals' use of mobile technology, either IRL or mediated through police procedural dramas like the Wire or Line of Duty, knows what a burner phone is. I would guess that that knowledge is fairly widely distributed among the population.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    Heathener said:

Carnyx said:

First.

I wonder if it was the dissing of the RNLI that did it for Ms Patel?

She's also losing favour with the kind of people who wanted to stop all migration to the UK. The story about paying France £54m to stop migration went down very badly.

Yesterday broke records for the numbers of migrants coming to the UK: 482 landing on British beaches. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-58100694

Personally I'd love to see the UK opening up its borders and welcoming people with open arms and to have the kind of wonderful cosmopolitan life which made this country such a beacon. But the kind of Brexiteers who loathe all of that and call it 'woke' aren't very happy with Ms Patel right now.
    Would you? And have you thought through the consequences of such a policy?

Merkel did that and Germany received over a million migrants in less than a year.

Now, you might still be in favour of that but at least be honest with yourself (and others) as to what you're proposing.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    isam said:

What is quite strange with this ISPOS-MORI poll, to me anyway, is that 39% "Dont Know" about Sir Keir, whereas the last two polls by them had 23% and 27% saying so - The more people see him the more they don't know? Is that usual?

...... a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma

That's our Sir Keir
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Oh Jimmy, Jimmy!

Virat first ball is pleasing
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Very little that is talked about on here has any traction in the world beyond - not even Scott'n' Paste with his fake Covid figures that made the EU look good.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Oh Jimmy, Jimmy!

Kohli first ball...might shut up the arrogant bastard for at least a few minutes.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

*new SLAB leader no. N announced*

*PBTories laud him/her/it as saviour of the Union*

*PBScots have fun dissecting Leader N [edit: metaphorically!]*

PBTories: "Look how worried the nats are!"
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    My understanding of a burner phone is one you buy off the shelf with a new SIM and pay-as-you-go credit already loaded onto it, and bin as soon as you've used it.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

And even if you don't know exactly what a burner phone is, it doesn't sound reputable, does it?

(The number of Conservative-friendly posters who've pounced on this as a bad idea does make me think it's probably a good idea that needs to be rubbished. Remember chaps- Never interrupt your enemy if they're making a mistake.)
    Even if they are right and it's the very youngest who don't get it, it still has meaning for the 20 and 30 and 40 somethings, also Labour territory.
    So those who already vote Labour will er.. vote Labour?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    Next week tune in for the Tory fanboys claiming they don't know what a "bung" is and how the public are not interested. Sadly they will be half right!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,652
    Sort of astonishing that the UK has recorded 3.5x as many cases as the US (per capita) in the last two months, but the US death rate (per capita) is already back above the UK equivalent.

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1423267498137370624?s=20
  • Options

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Anyone who knows anything about criminals' use of mobile technology, either IRL or mediated through police procedural dramas like the Wire or Line of Duty, knows what a burner phone is. I would guess that that knowledge is fairly widely distributed among the population.
    Even better from Labour's p of v.. Nothing lost, and the odd Tory might actually abstain or vote LD.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Leon said:

Charles said:

You're so 'plugged in' you make Adam22 look like JRM.
  • Options
    felix said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

All to improve the turnout. And there are switch voters.
  • Options

kjh said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

To make it even more helplessly confusing, Cherry's accusation is literal: apparently she reckons government ministers are actually using burner phones (in the sense of cheap phones then discarded to hide information - yet another definition)

She does not mean it metaphorically

Gove's reply is: "what is a burner phone?"

I have a vague nagging sense that HMG will survive this brilliant social media onslaught using a phrase popularised in an American crime drama made 19 years ago
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Wasn't John Trickett (a fervent Corbynista) fired by Sir Keir?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,923
    Carnyx said:

First.

All 3 are absolutely crap so it is no surprise other than fact that they ever were polling higher.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,924

It’s the business, I love it.

For a progressive sport, I was surprised the Spanish contender was known as ‘El Matador’ though!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,966

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

First.

That and the whole take-the-knee thing I'd have thought. She just sounded like a cynical politician on the make.
    We have no previous data. She has never been flavour of the month with anyone rational, surely.
    This ConHome survey implies quite a drop, though DYOR on probably different methodology, not to mention different population, and timing vis a vis footie kneelers and RNLI heroes:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2021/08/how-low-boris-johnson-s-approval-rating-falling

"Priti Patel, the Home Secretary, also saw her support among the party's grassroots plummet in July. Patel’s net approval ratings were down 20 points, from 46 to 26, between June and July."
    Be careful of confirmation bias.

It's far more likely that this is because she's totally failed to get a grip on the croas-channel crossings.

I notice a new record number of 482 successfully crossed yesterday, making it over 10,000 this year - so far.
    Personally, I would be looking to work with the Belgians and the other countries on Frances’s northern borders. We only see a small fraction of the French asylum seekers who choose to “self deport”, and we all have a common interest in discouraging France behaving as it does.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

*PBScots have fun dissecting Leader N*

A line that PB Yoons should have tattoed on their forehead, or at least have as a screensaver.

'Jim Murphy: I'm Astonished By How Easy It's Been To Outwit The SNP'

https://tinyurl.com/xrsxu4rn
  • Options

Heathener said:

And 'burner' has also appeared in every single Michael Connelly novel for the past decade.

Who is Michael Connolly?
    Not a book reader then
  • Options

Next week tune in for the Tory fanboys claiming they don't know what a "bung" is and how the public are not interested. Sadly they will be half right!

A bung... isn't that when you can get a load of waste product come together and block your drains?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

felix said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

All to improve the turnout. And there are switch voters.
    We're all agog now waiting for the Starmer surge in the next polls.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

To make it even more helplessly confusing, Cherry's accusation is literal: apparently she reckons government ministers are actually using burner phones (in the sense of cheap phones then discarded to hide information - yet another definition)

I have a vague nagging sense that HMG will survive this brilliant social media onslaught using a phrase popularised in an American crime drama made 19 years ago
    Are viewers on the side of people using burner phones in these shows or against them?
  • Options

That's unfair. They know very well what a bung is for. It's how you get big drinks.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,177
    malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    Not a book reader then
    Currently reading R. D, Blackmore's Lorna Doone, so about 150 years to catch up. Mainly read history and science, with the cheeky bit of historical fiction thrown in.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Someone posting it on here and everyone else ripping the piss out of it is hardly first item on the News at Ten
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

I doubt more than 10% of people know what one is. That's based on me not knowing though!
    Hard to believe that anyone in the country apart from a few old fogeys do not know what a Burner is. You would need to be ancient , not watch TV and never read modern crime books.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    A best selling trashy novelist, and I mean proper best selling, creator of Harry Bosch. Ok for passing the time on a sun lounger though the series is a bit exhausted now. I prefer Robert Crais in that particular line.
    Ah yes, Bosch. I used to devour them on holiday. Ages ago now but I think I recall he was standard 'tough guy with a heart' material but with the quirk that he knocked up a good pasta (and quite often did).
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,376
    isam said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Are viewers on the side of people using burner phones in these shows or against them?
    Many of the shows try the fun trick of making the actual bad guys into the protagonists and then see how far you can push this without the audience turning against them.

• Options

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    Early books were good TUD, and as you say easy reading and recent ones not so great. I did like Bosch though.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990

Despite all the attempted codification about amateurs, peak of the sport, faster, strong higher etc, imo criticisms of which sports are in generally comes down to should something not be an Olympic sport because it wasn't one when we were growing up.

And the answer is no, that does not matter, if you look at the history of the Olympics the sports included have always been changing, and indeed should do to reflect their own era. Lots of people stay fit through climbing, it can be done competitively, so why not an Olympic sport?
    As I think was discussed the other day, how it's scored matters IMV. Climbing seems to be a complex scoring system between the different climbs, but there does not appear to be judging involved. It's definitely a sport.

But these guys are amazing. I wonder if the women use the same course, or a different one?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,296
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

That’s what I disagree about - so he’s saying the government are like a criminal gang? I don’t think that will resonate with people.

It’s a poorly conceived marketing message
    I'm sure that the 5% of people who know what a burner phone is will contain many who think the government is indeed criminal and the remainder won't know what a burner phone is so will be none the wiser, nor will it resonate or not resonate.

Segmented marketing.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2021
    kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    Ah yes, Bosch. I used to devour them on holiday. Ages ago now but I think I recall he was standard 'tough guy with a heart' material but with the quirk that he knocked up a good pasta (and quite often did).
    Made into a show on Amazon Prime. Is quite good.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

Charles said:

I doubt more than 10% of people know what one is. That's based on me not knowing though!
    Hard to believe that anyone in the country apart from a few old fogeys do not know what a Burner is. You would need to be ancient , not watch TV and never read modern crime books.
    Never seen one on Midsomer Murders, and that’s pretty ‘edgy’
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

*PBScots have fun dissecting Leader N*

A line that PB Yoons should have tattoed on their forehead, or at least have as a screensaver.

'Jim Murphy: I'm Astonished By How Easy It's Been To Outwit The SNP'

https://tinyurl.com/xrsxu4rn
    I know it's a diversion, but that speech was so widely touted along the lines of "In terms of election targets, Murphy has an ambitious plan to not lose a single seat to the SNP" - in terms of prophecies, right up there with the Delphic Oracle's reply to King Croesus when he asked who would win if he started a war with the Persians.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    I am now astounded that I used to hang on Patricia Cornwell's every book. The past is indeed a foreign country.
  • Options
    isam said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

lol. Generally against, I guess, but heroes also use them as do lovable rogues and renegades

It's a flailingly confused line
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    Not a book reader then
    Currently reading R. D, Blackmore's Lorna Doone, so about 150 years to catch up. Mainly read history and science, with the cheeky bit of historical fiction thrown in.
    Some light trash now and again is good. Easy reading on a sunny day with a few beers.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925
    isam said:

For a progressive sport, I was surprised the Spanish contender was known as ‘El Matador’ though!
    Not sure it should be an olympic sport, it'll be clinging on by it's fingernails to be included at Paris.
  • Options

My understanding of a burner phone is one you buy off the shelf with a new SIM and pay-as-you-go credit already loaded onto it, and bin as soon as you've used it.

Yep. Think that's right. And I'd say that more people than not would know this.
  • Options
    isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Charles said:

OH, that's in the depths of the TV countryside. It's either proper 5gs for the second home, or telegrams on bikes.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Charles said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

I'm not plugged into The Culture, whatever the fcuk that is, and I know what they are. Still, street vibe Charlie agrees with you.
    Here is a tech magazine asking "what is a burner phone" - in February of this year

https://www.techtelegraph.co.uk/what-is-a-burner-phone-and-when-should-you-use-one/

Here is the Daily Mail from a few weeks ago. The phrase is put in inverted commas. "Burner phone"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9596557/Drug-users-ordered-phone-stunned-police-texting-want-help-you.html

If the Daily Mail has to put a phrase in inverted commas because it will strike readers as odd and not immediately understandable, then it is safe to say it has not entered the common lexicon. So yeah, you aren't plugged into The Culture or you would sense this

As to effective messaging - who knows. It does have a hint of preaching to the fan club, though.
    No - that is specific reference to a particular show.

In most crime shows, the burner phone thing is what the "pro"s do - it is part of the theatre to demonstrate their savvy. Much like the improbable weapon skills.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,966
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

I'm not even sure that is true. And this is partly because, if you google the phrase, there is dispute as to what it means, even for those who use the term

For some it means a non-smart phone that is simply cheap and can be thrown away if it "gets traced"

For others it is a phone that can be easily bought and used with a false identity

For others it is a cheap phone that must have prepaid minutes

And so on.

Therefore Charles is right, even if you have a decent grasp of what a burner phone is (one of these or similar definitions) then it is not clear what charge Labour is making against the government

"Government by burner phone". It reckon it is a line which sounded cool and hip to middle aged people in an ideas meeting, but now withers in embarrassment when it encounters the real world, like one of those deep-water fish in Lake Baikal which explode when they hit the surface
    Eh?

A burner phone (& associated number) is one which Is not connected with you, and which you will throw away.

So, if you were a drug dealer, you would use it to make transactions for a month and then bin it. If you were an insider trader, you would take advantage of the fact there was no link between that phone and you.

It’s a pretty common term, and it has only one meaning.

Whether it’s an effective attack line is another matter altogether.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

First.

All 3 are absolutely crap so it is no surprise other than fact that they ever were polling higher.
    These three people have devoted their lives to public service in our great country and we should show them some respect. Now many of us hope that the first retires gracefully fairly soon, to be replaced by someone who asks to second to concentrate on her constituents, and can beat the third. I think we need to treat our politicians more kindly else only those with hearts of stone will bear through.
  • Options
    isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Charles said:

They could probably fit this into a plot line

• Options
    Charles said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

He wishes.
  • Options
    'segmented marketing' assures me that it is, in fact, really, really clever.
  • Options

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

Exactly. Jon Trickett MP punches the air as he has the whole of PB talking about his tweet.

But of course back to reality, Big G doesn't know what it means so we can discard it as an effective marketing communication.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    Not a book reader then
    Now I have visions of a Doone throwing away the "burner" quill pen after writing a ransom demand.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Not sure it should be an olympic sport, it'll be clinging on by it's fingernails to be included at Paris.
    If that is the case, I'm sure they'll chalk it up to experience.
  • Options
    Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

lol. Generally against, I guess, but heroes also use them as do lovable rogues and renegades

Perhaps you should ask associates (past and/or present?) of yours if they know what it means.

Daddyo.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

I'm not even sure that is true. And this is partly because, if you google the phrase, there is dispute as to what it means, even for those who use the term

For some it means a non-smart phone that is simply cheap and can be thrown away if it "gets traced"

For others it is a phone that can be easily bought and used with a false identity

And so on.

Therefore Charles is right, even if you have a decent grasp of what a burner phone is (one of these or similar definitions) then it is not clear what charge Labour is making against the government

"Government by burner phone". It reckon it is a line which sounded cool and hip to middle aged people in an ideas meeting, but now withers in embarrassment when it encounters the real world, like one of those deep-water fish in Lake Baikal which explode when they hit the surface
    Eh?

A burner phone (& associated number) is one which Is not connected with you, and which you will throw away.

So, if you were a drug dealer, you would use it to make transactions for a month and then bin it. If you were an insider trader, you would take advantage of the fact there was no link between that phone and you.

I suppose this is leaning into the negotiation by ministers (including Hancock) of favourable PPE and testing contracts using personal email or phones. I know what a burner is, I follow politics. But it took me several minutes to fumble for their gist.

I mean they’re not wrong. But why are they buggering about on Twitter with this meme? Call Hancock et al before a special parliamentary committee and let the negative press echo through every news medium, not just a small sub section of Twitter.

So many politicians are crap at politics, never mind governing.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    Not a book reader then
    Now I have visions of a Doone throwing away the "burner" quill pen after writing a ransom demand.
    And the ink, and unused paper, and blotting paper, and if necessary writing surface. I know a forensic document examiner, who would find all those most interesting.
  • Options

'segmented marketing' assures me that it is, in fact, really, really clever.

Anyone who has ever canvassed will know that the aim is not to convert the opposition, but to ensure that friendlies remain friendly.

As such no one gives a flying f*ck about what old white Tory blokes on PB think, save for being delighted that they are spending the entire thread talking about it, that is.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

And so on.

Eh?

i have now checked my multiple female Corbynite friends and I wish to resile from my prior position

They pretty much all know what a "burner phone" is, tho they do have somewhat varying definitions

"A cheap phone you use once or twice then bin"

"A phone with pre paid minutes that has no official link to you"

"A phone with a sim you burn and replace"

So I reckon my initial guess that 5% of the nation understands the term is very wrong. More like 50% at least. However the understanding is vague and various, so I also stand by my thesis that it's a pretty silly attack line, with a faint hint of Cringe

• Options
    Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Or just drop it? (perhaps that is in bad taste on second thoughts.)
  • Options
    definitely the cleverest thing I have seen today.
  • Options
    Hope they come up with more clever lines like this.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    isam said:

What is quite strange with this ISPOS-MORI poll, to me anyway, is that 39% "Dont Know" about Sir Keir, whereas the last two polls by them had 23% and 27% saying so - The more people see him the more they don't know? Is that usual?

I can explain. A person has an unfavourable view of him (eg you). Then they get to know him better. Now they are not so sure they dislike him (we're off you now). He seems ok. However they can't say they positively like him either. It's neither like nor dislike. So they move to 'don't know'. The holding pen. They could break to 'like' or 'dislike' depending on their impression as they get to know him even better than they do now (having got to know him a little better).
  • Options
    Well off old white Tory blokes completely bewildered at newfangled "marketing" by Labour.

It will never catch on, says @BannedInParis.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

And so on.

Eh?

I suppose this is leaning into the negotiation by ministers (including Hancock) of favourable PPE and testing contracts using personal email or phones. I know what a burner is, I follow politics. But it took me several minutes to fumble for their gist.

I mean they’re not wrong. But why are they buggering about on Twitter with this meme? Call Hancock et al before a special parliamentary committee and let the negative press echo through every news medium, not just a small sub section of Twitter.

Labour love twitter. They use it to reinforce all their preconceptions about the plebs. My how they laughed ...right up the that exit poll.
  • Options
    felix said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

And so on.

Eh?

Labour love twitter. They use it to reinforce all their preconceptions about the plebs. My how they laughed ...right up the that exit poll.
    don't mention that!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,652
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited August 2021
    Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

If it does go to Paris, they should hold a bouldering round at Fontainebleau, just because. None of this plastic rubbish.

I think the main issue with it is there's no sense of quite how difficult the climbs are. Most of us would struggle to get off the ground. If you look at a blank face of rock it is a lot easier to imagine not trying it...
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Lots of "joyous & civic" (sic) nationalism in the replies:

It was a pleasure to visit @PoliceScotland's headquarters at Tulliallan Castle yesterday.

The police play a vital role in protecting the public and it was great to see first hand how they are preparing for the challenge of policing @COP26. in November this year.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1423230400227381254?s=20

Not respecting the office or the man, shocking stuff.
    Never mind Police Scotland, what idiot posted the Olympics video of Boris that makes it look like he has lunched rather too well? Did no-one realise climbing the stairs would make him appear to sway from side to side, which added to the hair makes him look tired and emotional? I'm not sure whether it is worse with sound on or off.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1422579951279165448
    When is Johnson not “tired and emotional”? The man is a disgrace to the office.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,627
    isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Charles said:

You're not concentrating.
  • Options
    good to see a new riff on PBTories know nothing. that's deffo clever.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

And so on.

Eh?

i have now checked my multiple female Corbynite friends and I wish to resile from my prior position

They pretty much all know what a "burner phone" is, tho they do have somewhat varying definitions

"A cheap phone you use once or twice then bin"

"A phone with pre paid minutes that has no official link to you"

"A phone with a sim you burn and replace"

So I reckon my initial guess that 5% of the nation understands the term is very wrong. More like 50% at least. However the understanding is vague and various, so I also stand by my thesis that it's a pretty silly attack line, with a faint hint of Cringe

Pretty silly attack lines with a strong hint of Cringe. That sums up your entire blogging career Sean.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

I can explain. A person has an unfavourable view of him (eg you). Then they get to know him better. Now they are not so sure they dislike him (we're off you now). He seems ok. However they can't say they positively like him either. It's neither like nor dislike. So they move to 'don't know'. The holding pen. They could break to 'like' or 'dislike' depending on their impression as they get to know him even better than they do now (having got to know him a little better).
    Or they might stay in the bland, wish washy nothingness of ‘DK’ forever!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

"Line". In the context of, erm. burner phones ...
    But it's Nick's Duty to point it out.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Macron is introducing a bill to increase France's foreign aid budget from 0.37% of GDP in 2017 to 0.55% in 2022:

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/1423273760417742852

I wonder why he chose 0.55%, specifically?
  • Options

Selebian said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

If it does go to Paris, they should hold a bouldering round at Fontainebleau, just because. None of this plastic rubbish.

I think the main issue with it is there's no sense of quite how difficult the climbs are. Most of us would struggle to get off the ground.
    way back when, I did a fair bit of climbing and bouldering. found that it took only the slightest change in diffiulty and I'd get absolutely nowhere.

now I'm ... checks notes ... fat, old and well-off ... oh you lot can guess the rest.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Labour is conducting opposition like someone who buys ready to wear suits.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited August 2021
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Who is Michael Connolly?
    I am now astounded that I used to hang on Patricia Cornwell's every book. The past is indeed a foreign country.
    Yep - read those too. Kay Scarpetta. Solid work. And I'm confident of low-browing you off the court with Robert Walker's "Jessica Coran" potboilers. There's no way you would have spent hours with them, but I did.
  • Options

Macron is introducing a bill to increase France's foreign aid budget from 0.37% of GDP in 2017 to 0.55% in 2022:

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/1423273760417742852

I wonder why he chose 0.55%, specifically?

Greetings

You were absolutely right about Sola Soho

The best restaurant experience I have had since before Ye Plague (not that there have been many during, but still)

Generally excellent, sometimes mind blowingly good. The demi glace on the duck. Ohhhhhh

However, it is NOT CHEAP. Jeez
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,577
    Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Charles said:

As used by crooks and spivs.
    It's not that difficult.
This discussion has been closed.