Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

BoJo’s “vaccine bounce” seems to be over but Starmer remains in negative territory – politicalbettin

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Scott_xP said:

Another nugget from the document: this week's new guidance for people and businesses is just for the summer. A review will be published in September which could toughen the rules further for the Winter - presumably meaning the return of mandatory restrictions. https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1414669910471581705/photo/1

It was clear from Witty and Javid statements, they fully expect COVID to be around for a long time to come.
    But if that's the case then we need to learn to live with it, not in fear of it. I think there needs to be an acceptance that COVID is going to cut life expectancy for a few years until we find effective treatments or vaccines that are 100% effective. There's really no way to avoid it.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2021
    HYUFD said:

Meanwhile as we all bemoan the racist England fans and the UK government and the 'racist' first Asian Home Secretary, the far right Brothers of Italy takes the lead in a new Italian poll

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1414655140351692803?s=20

Yet another populist-right Italian outfit destined to last a few years at most, I think.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Brom said:

Pulpstar said:

Taz said:

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Cicero said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Time to give @HYUFD a rest and move on.. It isn't worth doxxing or forcing an insincere apology.

It is ludicrous to suggest that Rashfords campaigning (some six months ago) interfered with his penalties last night. Not least because Footballers train for 4-5 hours per day, so have plenty of free time. Rashford spends it more productively than many of his peers.

Also, I find it ludicrous that taking the knee somehow makes you a Marxist toytown revolutionary! I mean, did Marx himself ever take the knee? Did Lenin? Stalin?
    Sportspeople shouldn't get involved in politics. That's my view. Leave politics to elected politicians.
    Genuinely, why not?
    Obviously anyone can get involved. My problem with Rashford is that he only gets to say "you should spend more money on x" and doesn't have to consider the other side of the equation (i.e. where does that money come from?).
    But that's not the primary concern of the spending ministries. On that logic, Mr Rashford is perfectly well qualified to be Secretary of State at the Dept of Education or whatever it is called these days. After all, he has to consider the spending priorities of the organizations in which he is already involved, anyway.
    Absolutely! I think he'd be fine as a minister of a government department.

But if you're not in government, I think you ought to at least think about the revenue raising side of things.

If I was PM, I'd have invited Rashford to a Downing Street summit and I'd have proposed a decent increase in benefits (better than voucher benefits). But! it would be paid for by a windfall tax on the PL. So 50% of the next domestic TV deal would go to the government. And I'd have insisted on Rashford approving that side of things too.
    That's instantly rebuttable by the principle that taxes are not hypothecated, isn't it? So it would be seen as deliberately vindictive.
    I'm a vindictive kind of person. I actually think a windfall tax on the PL would be justified and enforceable, so I'd be up for doing it anyway.
    But would it be a net revenue raiser?
    I don't see why not. What are you thinking? PL move abroad?
    Yes, probably.

The PL is the Golden Goose. It raises billions of pounds in taxes annually.

To screw around with that would be economic vandalism. Laffer Curve in action, jack taxes up and you lose revenues.
    Really? It's a sealed bids process. Sky, BT, Amazon bid shitloads of money for it. What difference does it make if the PL helps itself to some of it?

The clubs wouldn't have as much to spend on players' wages, but it would dramatically change the PL's popularity.
    Yes.

If the clubs don't have as much to spend on players wages, then the league ceases to be the best and most competitive league in the world, the clubs don't perform as well in Europe (PL clubs have dominated in Europe) and La Liga becomes the new Premier League.

Killing the Golden Goose.
    Perhaps. But it's interesting to wonder why the PL made it to the top. Serie A and La Liga had far more money than us 25 years ago. The reason the PL is the dominant league is because it is competitive, the stadiums are full (in normal times) and the football was more direct. That last point of difference has probably gone now, but the other two points are valid more than ever.

The increase in TV revenue in the last decade has been immense. Do I think the PL is any better than it was a decade ago? Possibly, but not in terms of value for money.

Maybe it would be unfair to single out footballers for punitive taxation, but the reality is they would be easier targets in my opinion. But I got a bit annoyed during the FSM debate when someone brought up Bill Shankly and how he would have approved of what Marcus was doing. I'm not sure Bill Shankly would approve of PL footballers being taxed at 45p in the pound when they are earning astronomical sums.
    In fairness to Marcus Rashford on this point, he already donates vast portions of his wealth to charity. He probably wouldn't be too uncomfortable with taxation.

My opinions on Rashford are quite mixed. He's clearly a thoughtful young man; and I found him quite likeable until he started espousing political ideas I disagree with. But he espouses them in a fairly reasonable and considered way. I disagree with him, and I think he is a bit naive at time, but his views on poverty are born of first hand experience. It should be recognised that he's being led by his PR company, but at the same time he's presumably comfortable with the way they are leading him.
    And he is quite good at football. He was one of the first professional footballers to pioneer not being a bellend all the time. Even the best of players have a crappy penalty in them.
    This modern bunch of players are a great contrast to the generation of yesteryear with their conduct off the field.
    This just isn't true. They are a mixed bunch, just as same time as Gazza was a total knobhead, the likes of Shearer and Le Saux are very smart cookies.

Its total media spin to say they all angelic lot, who behaviour amazingly off the field.
    Foden and Walker are err.. no angels.
    Maguire - fighting with Greek police
    Sterling - 2 court cases for domestic violence (tho he was cleared)
    Grealish - drink driving, use of prostitutes
    Walker and Foden - love a prezzie

That’s off the top of my head. This group are no different to any past England squad, people just like teams more when they win.
    Models for modern Britain, on and off the pitch.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,903

I have been in the pub tonight. I encountered someone who went yesterday. He said no racism happened.

What was he expecting-a showing of Reifenstahl's Triumph of the Will?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,431
    Mark Harper
    @Mark_J_Harper
    ·
    4h
    Currently, Covid hospitalisation data is hugely flawed - not showing distinction between patients ill with Covid & those in hospital for other reasons.

Dodgy data cannot drive us into lockdown again.

@sajidjavid clearly agrees.

Govt must sort this out before it’s too late.

Utterly astonishing we are still in this position over data when we are 18 months into this now.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Barnesian said:

Alistair said:

Barnesian said:

Alistair said:

I am shocked, shocked to discover the same people who thought new cases peaked in early June due being unable to understand the cyclical weekly nature of case reporting now think we have leaked on the basis of exactly the same misunderstanding.

You have to take a seven day moving average to allow for the weekly cycle. The seven day moving average of cases seems to be peaking..
    Scotland has passed its peak, the North West had probably hit its peak. Other parts of the country are just getting in their stride.
    According to ZOE, Richmond Park where I live passed its peak about 10 days ago. You have to take an average. Overall the growth rate of new cases is falling rapidly and will be negative within a week.
    The regional variations throughout the pandemic have been curious.

London was barely touched last autumn and this summer but hammered during the winter.
    London got hit first, and hard. The nation emerging from the first lockdown was timed on cases receding in London. Cases where still "high" in the North who had got the first wave later.

So the summer unlocking took much longer to take effect in London than it did the North.

Which meant the North got put in local restrictions earlier than the rest of the country which meant when Kent Coivd really took hold it ripped through packed "open" London whist the North got off much easier, Yorkshire even had a lower Jan peak than October.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Another nugget from the document: this week's new guidance for people and businesses is just for the summer. A review will be published in September which could toughen the rules further for the Winter - presumably meaning the return of mandatory restrictions. https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1414669910471581705/photo/1

It was clear from Witty and Javid statements, they fully expect COVID to be around for a long time to come.
    But if that's the case then we need to learn to live with it, not in fear of it. I think there needs to be an acceptance that COVID is going to cut life expectancy for a few years until we find effective treatments or vaccines that are 100% effective. There's really no way to avoid it.
    That's exactly the argument I was making last April.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,201
    Euro 2020: Police forces deal with record number of football-related incidents after Wembley final http://news.sky.com/story/euro-2020-police-forces-deal-with-record-number-of-football-related-incidents-after-wembley-final-12354566
  • Options

Mark Harper
    @Mark_J_Harper
    ·
    4h
    Currently, Covid hospitalisation data is hugely flawed - not showing distinction between patients ill with Covid & those in hospital for other reasons.

Utterly astonishing we are still in this position over data when we are 18 months into this now.

You just have to hope they have access to that behind the scenes, along with data like days since vaccination.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

And they seem to know that too.

Hence why its better for us to learn to live with it this summer than wait until April 2022.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015
    edited July 2021

Mark Harper
    @Mark_J_Harper
    ·
    4h

Is anyone at all talking about lockdown again? Arguably we've never had it.
    Hyperbole really doesn't help his argument.
  • Options
    And I would say London did have a fairly bad Autumn it was just delayed later (peak in November rather than October) which smears it into the December rise and the January apocalypse just drowns it our entirely.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    Brom said:

Pulpstar said:

Taz said:

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Cicero said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Time to give @HYUFD a rest and move on.. It isn't worth doxxing or forcing an insincere apology.

It is ludicrous to suggest that Rashfords campaigning (some six months ago) interfered with his penalties last night. Not least because Footballers train for 4-5 hours per day, so have plenty of free time. Rashford spends it more productively than many of his peers.

Also, I find it ludicrous that taking the knee somehow makes you a Marxist toytown revolutionary! I mean, did Marx himself ever take the knee? Did Lenin? Stalin?
    Sportspeople shouldn't get involved in politics. That's my view. Leave politics to elected politicians.
    Genuinely, why not?
    Obviously anyone can get involved. My problem with Rashford is that he only gets to say "you should spend more money on x" and doesn't have to consider the other side of the equation (i.e. where does that money come from?).
    But that's not the primary concern of the spending ministries. On that logic, Mr Rashford is perfectly well qualified to be Secretary of State at the Dept of Education or whatever it is called these days. After all, he has to consider the spending priorities of the organizations in which he is already involved, anyway.

But if you're not in government, I think you ought to at least think about the revenue raising side of things.

If I was PM, I'd have invited Rashford to a Downing Street summit and I'd have proposed a decent increase in benefits (better than voucher benefits). But! it would be paid for by a windfall tax on the PL. So 50% of the next domestic TV deal would go to the government. And I'd have insisted on Rashford approving that side of things too.
    That's instantly rebuttable by the principle that taxes are not hypothecated, isn't it? So it would be seen as deliberately vindictive.
    I'm a vindictive kind of person. I actually think a windfall tax on the PL would be justified and enforceable, so I'd be up for doing it anyway.
    Yes, probably.

To screw around with that would be economic vandalism. Laffer Curve in action, jack taxes up and you lose revenues.
    Really? It's a sealed bids process. Sky, BT, Amazon bid shitloads of money for it. What difference does it make if the PL helps itself to some of it?

The clubs wouldn't have as much to spend on players' wages, but it would dramatically change the PL's popularity.
    Yes.

If the clubs don't have as much to spend on players wages, then the league ceases to be the best and most competitive league in the world, the clubs don't perform as well in Europe (PL clubs have dominated in Europe) and La Liga becomes the new Premier League.

Perhaps. But it's interesting to wonder why the PL made it to the top. Serie A and La Liga had far more money than us 25 years ago. The reason the PL is the dominant league is because it is competitive, the stadiums are full (in normal times) and the football was more direct. That last point of difference has probably gone now, but the other two points are valid more than ever.

The increase in TV revenue in the last decade has been immense. Do I think the PL is any better than it was a decade ago? Possibly, but not in terms of value for money.

Maybe it would be unfair to single out footballers for punitive taxation, but the reality is they would be easier targets in my opinion. But I got a bit annoyed during the FSM debate when someone brought up Bill Shankly and how he would have approved of what Marcus was doing. I'm not sure Bill Shankly would approve of PL footballers being taxed at 45p in the pound when they are earning astronomical sums.
    In fairness to Marcus Rashford on this point, he already donates vast portions of his wealth to charity. He probably wouldn't be too uncomfortable with taxation.

My opinions on Rashford are quite mixed. He's clearly a thoughtful young man; and I found him quite likeable until he started espousing political ideas I disagree with. But he espouses them in a fairly reasonable and considered way. I disagree with him, and I think he is a bit naive at time, but his views on poverty are born of first hand experience. It should be recognised that he's being led by his PR company, but at the same time he's presumably comfortable with the way they are leading him.
    And he is quite good at football. He was one of the first professional footballers to pioneer not being a bellend all the time. Even the best of players have a crappy penalty in them.
    This modern bunch of players are a great contrast to the generation of yesteryear with their conduct off the field.
    This just isn't true. They are a mixed bunch, just as same time as Gazza was a total knobhead, the likes of Shearer and Le Saux are very smart cookies.

Its total media spin to say they all angelic lot, who behaviour amazingly off the field.

That’s off the top of my head. This group are no different to any past England squad, people just like teams more when they win.
    Do you have a link to Grealish use of prostitutes allegation?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

Mark Harper
    @Mark_J_Harper
    ·
    4h

If you covid test everyone admitted to hospital, when there’s a decent percentage of vaccinated people who might still catch covid asymptomatically or mildly, it stands to reason you’ll see an increase in covid positive rates in hospital during a wider outbreak. Given we first double vaccinated the people most likely to need hospital in general, then it also stands to reason that during a wider outbreak you’ll get quite a few covid positive tests of doubled vaxxed in hospital. Even if they’re there for a bladder infection or a fall.

We can only guess at the scale of this effect because the dunderheads in charge still haven’t bothered trying to measure it. Maybe it matters and maybe it doesn’t. Tell us.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,431
    Robert Dingwall 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺 Reunite
    @rwjdingwall
    ·
    4h
    Covid passports - the zombie policy that refuses to die no matter how many stakes get put through its heart. If you are fully vaccinated, knowing another person's vaccination status is irrelevant. If they decline protection, that is their problem not yours. RIP medical privacy

I reckon he reads PB, as I posted a comment about these passports being "zombies" a couple of days ago.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited July 2021

Brom said:

Pulpstar said:

Taz said:

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Cicero said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Genuinely, why not?

Yes, probably.

Yes.

There is a very NSFW photographic evidence...that did the rounds.
  • Options
    The facts still defy belief on a cold reading.

The national football team chose to display an anti-racism message, informed in part by their own direct experiences.

Racists booed them.

The Prime Minister & Home Secretary publicly criticised the players and backed the racists.

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1414673904220753924

The UK government, having taken on one footballer and lost massively, then decided to take on the twenty six man England squad.

I have to be honest, I'm struggling with the logic.

https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/1414673452406124544
  • Options
    Oh, haven't had a good "Casedemic" post for almost a year now.

Do "it's all false positives", I love the classics.
  • Options

@rwjdingwall
    ·
    4h
    Covid passports - the zombie policy that refuses to die no matter how many stakes get put through its heart. If you are fully vaccinated, knowing another person's vaccination status is irrelevant. If they decline protection, that is their problem not yours. RIP medical privacy

I reckon he reads PB, as I posted a comment about these passports being "zombies" a couple of days ago.

It can become your problem in other ways. We're seeing that with waiting lists.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,134
    Brom said:

Was it by people who had tickets or not? What block were they in and what time did it happen? Stewards were overwhelmed last night and it’s possible if this incident did happen it was committed by someone with a banning order. Either way if you think there is more racism or much racism at football these days then I thoroughly disagree. I’ve been going every week for years and have only heard homophobic abuse in that time

Oh, well, that's OK then. The nation's football fans are obviously on the threshold of a new age of progressive and enlightened attitudes.

There are very good reasons why supporters at tennis, rugby union and cricket matches do not, by and large, have to be reminded of the basic rules of civilized behaviour, rival fans are all jumbled up together, and booze can be consumed without fear that this will lead to rioting.

Society has a rotten underbelly and much of it may be found festering in football stadiums. To claim otherwise is to exist in a state of denial.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    My road this afternoon. The storm was biblical!

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,846

I stopped at the M 6 Toll services and saw a fresh fruit? Shop called Leon.. We know where our identically named poster got the idea from...

Its also the name of a coffee shop chain, there's one in the Trafford Centre. https://leon.co/
    Are you two seriously saying the Leon chain is new to you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Restaurants
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,903

+150lk likes in an hour
    That was a while ago. At this rate he'll be PM by the week-end
  • Options
    Welcome, @pigeon
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,589
    It's obvious what black footballers suffering from vile racial abuse should do. They should stop complaining. Every time they moan about it, it adds fuel to the fire and makes things worse. By drawing attention to the racists, they are provoking them to be racist. Any they are definitely making it worse if they are complaining about a non-white Home Secretary. So they should shut up.

So, keep politics out of sport. Stop complaining about racism and it will go away.

Have I got this right? Some absolutely unbelievable views around.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I miss the Sweden stuff and breathless retweeting of Alistair Hames and his trend lines.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    HYUFD said:

Meanwhile as we all bemoan the racist England fans and the UK government and the 'racist' first Asian Home Secretary, the far right Brothers of Italy takes the lead in a new Italian poll

I see the Fratelli d'Italia are members of the ECR group in the European Parliament - isn't that the group to which the Conservative Party belonged?

It's also worth noting FdL, Lega and the Social Democrats are statistically tied at 20% across the polls so it's not a big political event by any stretch but make a cheap point if it'll help you dig your way out of your self-inflicted pit.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Welcome, @pigeon

Hello :smile:
  • Options

It's obvious what black footballers suffering from vile racial abuse should do. They should stop complaining. Every time they moan about it, it adds fuel to the fire and makes things worse. By drawing attention to the racists, they are provoking them to be racist. Any they are definitely making it worse if they are complaining about a non-white Home Secretary. So they should shut up.

So, keep politics out of sport. Stop complaining about racism and it will go away.

It reminds me of some of the bullshit coming out the MCC and their defenders during the D'Oliveira saga.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,327
    Alistair said:

Thin* is, this time round it is much more a casedemic as the link to hospital and death is much much weaker. It’s also true that almost all Covid deaths in recent months have been in the over 60s (At least from England only data). It’s not too much to ask for reliable, sensible data when such significant constraints have been imposed on people for 16 months.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Brom said:

Pulpstar said:

Taz said:

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Cicero said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Genuinely, why not?

Yes, probably.

Yes.

Well I’ve been sent the photo on a number of WhatsApp groups, I’m pretty sure it broke the internet when it was first circulated so I don’t think you’d have much trouble if you google it!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    Alistair said:

Barnesian said:

Alistair said:

Barnesian said:

Alistair said:

I am shocked, shocked to discover the same people who thought new cases peaked in early June due being unable to understand the cyclical weekly nature of case reporting now think we have leaked on the basis of exactly the same misunderstanding.

You have to take a seven day moving average to allow for the weekly cycle. The seven day moving average of cases seems to be peaking..
    Scotland has passed its peak, the North West had probably hit its peak. Other parts of the country are just getting in their stride.
    According to ZOE, Richmond Park where I live passed its peak about 10 days ago. You have to take an average. Overall the growth rate of new cases is falling rapidly and will be negative within a week.
    The regional variations throughout the pandemic have been curious.

London was barely touched last autumn and this summer but hammered during the winter.
    London got hit first, and hard. The nation emerging from the first lockdown was timed on cases receding in London. Cases where still "high" in the North who had got the first wave later.

So the summer unlocking took much longer to take effect in London than it did the North.

Which meant the North got put in local restrictions earlier than the rest of the country which meant when Kent Coivd really took hold it ripped through packed "open" London whist the North got off much easier, Yorkshire even had a lower Jan peak than October.

Percentage change of the 7 day average of cases, day by day

Regional

Obviously the last 3-5 days are to be discarded.

Interesting.....
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,589

It reminds me of some of the bullshit coming out the MCC and their defenders during the D'Oliveira saga.
    Yes, quite so. It was fairly easy to sort the goodies from the baddies during the D'Oliveira saga, just as it is now.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,719
    dixiedean said:

Mark Harper
    @Mark_J_Harper
    ·
    4h

Is anyone at all talking about lockdown again? Arguably we've never had it.
    Hyperbole really doesn't help his argument.
    Those shielding had lockdown.

Everyone else was having a stroll in the park.

I mean that literally, not figuratively.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

@rwjdingwall
    ·
    4h

Simply not true. You can be fully vaccinated and get covid. You are much less likely to do so from someone fully vaccinated then from someone not.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,224

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

And they seem to know that too.

Hence why its better for us to learn to live with it this summer than wait until April 2022.
    But we will be in a Mask environment until 2023. I'm staying in. Except when I am out.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,928
    kle4 said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

So - my youngest son was out in Colchester town centre last night

Earlier today he told me 2 things he had witnessed

1 - A guy shouting "Fecking pigs" in police officers faces - he did this 3 times and they warned him if he did it again they would arrest him.

So, he does it again.

A policeman punches him full on in the face and he goes down.

Several police pile in and punch the guy whilst on floor.

When put in police van he appears at best dazed and had to be carried, my son is convinced he had been knocked out.

2. A white guy out with his girlfriend - he is abusing 3 afro Caribbean guys about those missed penalties. His girlfriend literally picked him up and dragged him away - I almost wish she had let him try but the other guys might have got records out of it.

What sort of arsehole makes it a racist thing about missing penalties?

I despair of human kind sometimes, I really do.

Just a game innit. Goodness knows what the aliens make of it all.
    I don't want to know any aliens who don't enjoy sport, and lament the idiots that come along with it.
    According to Iain M. Banks, rather a lot of them do. I have a soft spot for the Dwellers who like sailing in the shearwinds of their gas giant planet.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    pigeon said:

Brom said:

Was it by people who had tickets or not? What block were they in and what time did it happen? Stewards were overwhelmed last night and it’s possible if this incident did happen it was committed by someone with a banning order. Either way if you think there is more racism or much racism at football these days then I thoroughly disagree. I’ve been going every week for years and have only heard homophobic abuse in that time

Oh, well, that's OK then. The nation's football fans are obviously on the threshold of a new age of progressive and enlightened attitudes.

There are very good reasons why supporters at tennis, rugby union and cricket matches do not, by and large, have to be reminded of the basic rules of civilized behaviour, rival fans are all jumbled up together, and booze can be consumed without fear that this will lead to rioting.

Society has a rotten underbelly and much of it may be found festering in football stadiums. To claim otherwise is to exist in a state of denial.
    Bullshit.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

It’s not too relevant how many real cases we are seeing in the unvaccinated (mainly young). And it’s not really relevant how many real cases there are in vaccinated. What we truly care about is how many very serious cases there are in the vaccinated. And to those with less cold hearts than mine, how many very serious cases there are in the unvaccinated.

Your glib reply is typical of the unthinking approach so prevalent on here at times.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

I stopped at the M 6 Toll services and saw a fresh fruit? Shop called Leon.. We know where our identically named poster got the idea from...

Its also the name of a coffee shop chain, there's one in the Trafford Centre. https://leon.co/
    Are you two seriously saying the Leon chain is new to you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Restaurants
    Not new to me, its been in Trafford for years. Only ever seen it there.

I only mentioned it as squareroot2 mentioned it.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

1 - A guy shouting "Fecking pigs" in police officers faces - he did this 3 times and they warned him if he did it again they would arrest him.

So, he does it again.

When put in police van he appears at best dazed and had to be carried, my son is convinced he had been knocked out.

2. A white guy out with his girlfriend - he is abusing 3 afro Caribbean guys about those missed penalties. His girlfriend literally picked him up and dragged him away - I almost wish she had let him try but the other guys might have got records out of it.

I don't want to know any aliens who don't enjoy sport, and lament the idiots that come along with it.
    According to Iain M. Banks, rather a lot of them do. I have a soft spot for the Dwellers who like sailing in the shearwinds of their gas giant planet.
    The Dwellers also hunt their own young, apparently.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

Brom said:

Bullshit.
    OK, so why are rugby and tennis and cricket matches and race meetings different, then?
  • Options

Alistair said:

I miss the Sweden stuff and breathless retweeting of Alistair Hames and his trend lines.
    Sweden is fucking amazing!

If I was a proponent of a lockdowns don't do anything/it's just the flu/vaccines are a sham I would totally be using Sweden as my example given their dramatic lack of deaths in their third wave but they seem to have been totally forgotten about.

People stopped dying en-masse of Covid in Sweden in the middle do February and almost entirely at all in mid May despite a huge peak of cases And ICU admission in April.

And yet Covid sceptics have stopped talking about Sweden, it is bizarre.

Now is totally the time to be talking about Sweden,
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

Brom said:

Bullshit.
    So erudite.

Why are there no out gay players?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    edited July 2021
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I see the Fratelli d'Italia are members of the ECR group in the European Parliament - isn't that the group to which the Conservative Party belonged?

It's also worth noting FdL, Lega and the Social Democrats are statistically tied at 20% across the polls so it's not a big political event by any stretch but make a cheap point if it'll help you dig your way out of your self-inflicted pit.
    FdL and Lega combined are on 41% in the poll to just 19% for the Social Democrats and 14% for Five Star.

The Tories sister party in the IDU is Forza Italia who are on 7%
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Pulpstar said:

Taz said:

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Cicero said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Genuinely, why not?

Yes, probably.

Yes.

Well I’ve been sent the photo on a number of WhatsApp groups, I’m pretty sure it broke the internet when it was first circulated so I don’t think you’d have much trouble if you google it!
    Grealish is probably the worst behaved england player and also the most popular with the fans....
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Brom said:

I'd disagree with that, it is something that happens when England are playing.

At club level racism has pretty much disappeared from most grounds in the top flight.

Am I going to take my kids to matches involving Liverpool, hell yes, taking them to England matches? Hell no.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Roger said:

I have been in the pub tonight. I encountered someone who went yesterday. He said no racism happened.

What was he expecting-a showing of Reifenstahl's Triumph of the Will?
    Birth of a Nation perhaps; footie fans don't approve of the Hun (so-called: not my expression).

BTW what is all this about a dentist's chair (mentioned earlier)? Escapes me ...
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Brom said:

Golf and tennis spectators have some pretty outdated views, rugger buggers aren’t exactly know for their tolerance. Perhaps there’s a snobbery towards football but it attracts 10 times the audience of the other sports and probably 10 times as many dickheads. Perhaps the media exaggerate the size of the issues but I can only say what I see and hear week in week out.

For me the issue is the abuse people give on social media where they have a free platform is almost always the type of shit they would never say out loud in a football ground.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Cicero said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Genuinely, why not?
    I really don't think you have to do that in order to express a view.

People can just say "X is an important priority and the money should be found either from lower spending elsewhere or general taxation".

It might help their argument it they did, and it would also legitimate for someone else to respond to that by saying "I don't think X is a particularly priority, and I just don't think it's worth spending £Y on it".

But I don't think it's fair to require someone to have the sort of knowledge of the national accounts that would enable them to come up with a fully costed proposal as some kind of entry-level requirement to join the debate.
    What I object to on the FSM issue specifically is the "you're happy for children to go hungry?!!!" angle. It's a c***ish line of argument, which is why I generally think the left are twats.
    It is totally lacking in introspection to say that straw man arguments are in any way unique to one wing of politics.

If someone opposes a war, they immediately get accused of treachery and appeasement. Argue for the Navy and RNLI to rescue migrants at sea, and certain people allege you want an open door policy.

None of it is attractive, but the straw man is a feature of political discourse across the board, and always has been. It's one-eyed to claim othewise.
    This is actually a very interesting argument. There's a book called "The Righteous Mind" that deals with left vs right arguments and their implications. I haven't read it but I've read a summary and it's well worth looking into.

Basically, liberals focus on a much narrower set of moral foudations (eg. fairness) than conservatives. So liberals say conservatives are evil "because how can you allow this terrible injustice, it must be fixed above all else" and conservatives say liberals are stupid because "how can you damage all that other stuff by focusing overly on this one injustice".

Interestingly, libertarians focus on the most narrow set of moral foundations of all, basically "freedom above all else".

The above thread very much reminded me of this!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

Brom said:

Bullshit.
    OK, so why are rugby and tennis and cricket matches and race meetings different, then?
    Well I'd disagree about the latter, every Royal Ascot I've been to there were plenty of fights.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

pigeon said:

Brom said:

At club level racism has pretty much disappeared from most grounds in the top flight.

Am I going to take my kids to matches involving Liverpool, hell yes, taking them to England matches? Hell no.
    To be fair, I went to the last England vs Italy game at Wembley, it was a perfectly pleasant environment.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,796
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Perhaps far more damagingly than any of the political interventions above is this which has just been made by an England player. It’s directly addressed to Priti Patel.
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1414659973272031248

You don’t get to stoke the fire at the beginning of the tournament by labelling our anti-racism message as ‘Gesture Politics’ & then pretend to be disgusted when the very thing we’re campaigning against, happens. https://twitter.com/pritipatel/status/1414483365558951937
    https://twitter.com/officialtm_3/status/1414655312074784785

Hard to argue with his logic.

I have a feeling culture war isn't the slamdunk the government thinks it is. Ty Mings and his mates may be naive at worst, but in disrespecting them, Patel, Johnson etc come across as unpleasant at best and at worst slightly sinister and in disreputable company.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

Brom said:

Bullshit.
    So erudite.

Yes because other sports are just full of gay players! All those gay tennis players, cricketers and rugby players!

• Options
    pigeon said:

tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

Brom said:

Bullshit.
    So erudite.

Too much hassle. And I’d say the teammates are more of a worry than the fans:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2012/jun/12/euro-2012-antonio-cassano-gays
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

So, he does it again.

The Dwellers also hunt their own young, apparently.
    Ooh yes, so they do. As well as basing their entire planetary defence on the local amateur militia. But it's sport. More important than life or death.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

Brom said:

Bullshit.
    Well I'd disagree about the latter, every Royal Ascot I've been to there were plenty of fights.
    Really? I don't really do flat racing.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,550
    edited July 2021
    What a depressing evening. A summer night of cold torrential rain. We have blown our best ever chance of winning a major football tournament, thanks to a silly manager. We are represented abroad by a man with a firework up his arse, AKA Boris Johnson.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Certain days at certain high profile racing festivals are infamous now for the punch ups. Thr Daily Mail love sending their paps to them for all the shots of dressed up men and women having punch up.

Again drink, coke and young men....and now with equality plenty of women.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Brom said:

Certainly matches Nick Hornby’s assessment. I’m not sure you’d have any trouble at a regular international at Wembley. It’s the easier trips abroad and tournament games where the scum turn up. But on the whole I reckon England crowds are as middle class as PL crowds.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Brom said:

A sizeable number of Liverpool fans and manager Kenny Dalgleish were backing Suarez and his racist statements towards Evra only a few years back, so I doubt these people have all changed their views in that time period, but that was a more subtle racism than the awful shit you hear about on social media.

Most England matches at Wembley are fine and the England member fans with the highest home and away points are almost all great but nights like last night when coked up tournament only England supporting idiots burst through security then I’d have to agree - no chance you’d take kids there if you knew that would happen.
  • Options

Certain days at certain high profile racing festivals are infamous now for the punch ups. Again drink, coke and young men....

Avoid coke. Stick to fanta.
  • Options
    Leon said:

What a depressing evening. A summer night of cold torrential rain. We have blown our best ever chance of winning a major football tournament, thanks to a silly manager. We are represented abroad by a man with a firework up his arse, AKA Boris Johnson.

Nice weather is just around the corner, England failed better than last time and Boris won't be around forever.

One wouldn't wish to give the impression from one's opening remarks that one thought everything was awful, because it isn't really.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Certainly matches Nick Hornby’s assessment. I’m not sure you’d have any trouble at a regular international at Wembley. It’s the easier trips abroad and tournament games where the scum turn up. But on the whole I reckon England crowds are as middle class as PL crowds.

It came home. Leicester Square gets a taste of the delights visited on Marseille, Lille, Lisbon, Stuttgart etc etc etc over the years https://twitter.com/Urban_Pictures/status/1414241047883001856

• Options
    Leon said:

The days get shorter. Winter is coming :)
  • Options

Certain days at certain high profile racing festivals are infamous now for the punch ups. Again drink, coke and young men....

The drink of the Nazis...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

Brom said:

Bullshit.
    Yup.

It is something @Topping and I here have discussed.

There's probably less alcohol drunk there than during a day at a test match, but there's an edge.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mass-brawl-breaks-out-ascot-17129133

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/13/ascot-fighting-royal-meeting-hazapour-dermot-weld

vhttps://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/820425/royal-ascot-fight-ladies-day-video-queen-gold-cup-big-orange-results-tips

https://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sports/horse-racing/royals-avoid-ugly-brawl-at-ascot-race-meeting-as-patrons-use-table-legs-and-champagne-bottles-as-weapons/news-story/f3296fff4a3afd8d4bcb7d18876add4b
  • Options
    Sir Keir Starmer has accused Boris Johnson of a failure of leadership after England players were subjected to racist abuse following their Euro 2020 final defeat.

Get more on this story: https://trib.al/0WgT09E https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1414679187571478537/video/1
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

The days get shorter. Winter is coming :)
    So it is. Cheerful bugger.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

It came home. Leicester Square gets a taste of the delights visited on Marseille, Lille, Lisbon, Stuttgart etc etc etc over the years https://twitter.com/Urban_Pictures/status/1414241047883001856

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57538350
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    HYUFD said:

FdL and Lega combined are on 41% in the poll to just 19% for the Social Democrats and 14% for Five Star.

Lega are in the Government along with Five Star, the Social Democrats and Forza Italia. FdL are the opposition (which may explain why they are doing so well).

Adding Lega and FdL's numbers makes no sense - it's the same as adding the Conservative and Labour numbers to make a point.

https://ecrparty.eu/about#family

The Conservative Party is a member of the ECR - the President of the ECR is the leader of Fratelli d'Italia - do you accept that to be true?
  • Options
    I would also say some of the videos of Italian fans celebrating irresponsibly back home, a lot of injuries across various incidents show that England does not have a monopoly on idiots.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

How many of those ended up at Wembley. It all looked fairly civilised in the stands (as opposed to outside). Reality is that match going football fans today are fairly middle class. This is something that Hornby talked about Fever Pitch - he could see where it was going.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

Brom said:

Have to admit, going to Spain and to a lesser extent Italy used to be a scary experience.

The local rozzers pretty much whacked anyone who looked at them. It has become better as Merseyside Police now go on foreign trips with the fans and liaise with both.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW: Perhaps far more damagingly than any of the political interventions above is this which has just been made by an England player. It’s directly addressed to Priti Patel.

You don’t get to stoke the fire at the beginning of the tournament by labelling our anti-racism message as ‘Gesture Politics’ & then pretend to be disgusted when the very thing we’re campaigning against, happens. https://twitter.com/pritipatel/status/1414483365558951937

Perhaps a less loaded message would be more appropriate?
    I believe Mings was one of the key pushers for taking the knee when other players had their concerns. He’s a controversial figure on the pitch and I imagine his politics are fairly to the left.

It’s sad to see how much politics has entered the working man’s game in the past year or so. Racism has and will always exist sadly but the politics tended to orbit football rather than be at the centre of it. I don’t think anything is really sacred any more, sports journalists and presenters think they’re politicians and fanning the flames while it’s the true fans that will suffer.
    Racist fans are no longer welcome and will not be tolerated

That is a good thing
    The racism is (effectively) not in the stadium, the racism is online. The knee has done nothing to halt online racism, perhaps it’s even made it worse. We need social media platforms to clamp down on hate and ensure every account is authenticated. Footballers taking a knee has done nothing to make this happen, it’s just caused division on and off the pitch, where perhaps the idea behind the knee was to bring people together.

And for those who said the knee wasn’t political well I’m afraid you’ve now got a mixed race footballer arguing with a female Asian MP. It’s not a good look for either.

I wouldn't be surprised if it actually made things worse. You don't bring people with you by antagonising them.
    It made things much worse. It was a deliberately antagonistic gesture, which would only have worked, if England won (and then it would have been a triumph)

They did not win. They lost. Fans are seething with resentment

A guy I know on a Whatsapp group - a Corbynite, no less - just posted a quasi-racist comment about the penalty takers. Depressing
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

How many of those ended up at Wembley. It all looked fairly civilised in the stands (as opposed to outside). Reality is that match going football fans today are fairly middle class. This is something that Hornby talked about Fever Pitch - he could see where it was going.
    My friend in the stadium last night begged to differ. Said it was hard to judge the numbers inside because vast swathes were standing only. Guesses it was at or above full capacity despite the ticket cap. Drugs openly being consumed in the stands. Violence before. Violence after. Sounded grim.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Lega are in the Government along with Five Star, the Social Democrats and Forza Italia. FdL are the opposition (which may explain why they are doing so well).

Adding Lega and FdL's numbers makes no sense - it's the same as adding the Conservative and Labour numbers to make a point.

https://ecrparty.eu/about#family

The Conservative Party is a member of the ECR - the President of the ECR is the leader of Fratelli d'Italia - do you accept that to be true?
    Eh?

The Lega-M5S coalition broke down, and M5S got into bed with the Social Democrats.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832
    edited July 2021
    pigeon said:

Brom said:

I have been going to Leicester City for 2 decades and can only remember a couple of incidents of abuse. Being called a "City full of Pakis" by away fans, and our fans singing "does your boyfriend know you are here?" at Brighton fans. Other than that, nothing, though plenty of coarse language.

What violence I have seen has been outside the ground, indeed often well away from it, and of course social media abuse generally comes from armchair fans.

I wouldn't claim that football fans are choristers, but clearly much of the bad behaviour comes from fans who are not at games, and perhaps rarely go.
  • Options
    Leon said:

RobD said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

I believe Mings was one of the key pushers for taking the knee when other players had their concerns. He’s a controversial figure on the pitch and I imagine his politics are fairly to the left.

It’s sad to see how much politics has entered the working man’s game in the past year or so. Racism has and will always exist sadly but the politics tended to orbit football rather than be at the centre of it. I don’t think anything is really sacred any more, sports journalists and presenters think they’re politicians and fanning the flames while it’s the true fans that will suffer.

That is a good thing
    The racism is (effectively) not in the stadium, the racism is online. The knee has done nothing to halt online racism, perhaps it’s even made it worse. We need social media platforms to clamp down on hate and ensure every account is authenticated. Footballers taking a knee has done nothing to make this happen, it’s just caused division on and off the pitch, where perhaps the idea behind the knee was to bring people together.

And for those who said the knee wasn’t political well I’m afraid you’ve now got a mixed race footballer arguing with a female Asian MP. It’s not a good look for either.

I wouldn't be surprised if it actually made things worse. You don't bring people with you by antagonising them.
    It made things much worse. It was a deliberately antagonistic gesture, which would only have worked, if England won (and then it would have been a triumph)

A guy I know on a Whatsapp group - a Corbynite, no less - just posted a quasi-racist comment about the penalty takers. Depressing
    Are we supposed to be shocked that a corbynite is a closet racist? :-)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,050

The drink of the Nazis...
    Not one of their better slogans.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,141

pigeon said:

Brom said:

I’ve been to several England matches and never heard a single racist word uttered.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,376
    Natalie Elphicke story and apology now being spoken about by Jon Craig on Sky

Just what on earth these conservative politicians thought they were doing and saying about Marcus

Mind you they seem to have had a common sense by pass
  • Options
    moonshine said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

My friend in the stadium last night begged to differ. Said it was hard to judge the numbers inside because vast swathes were standing only. Guesses it was at or above full capacity despite the ticket cap. Drugs openly being consumed in the stands. Violence before. Violence after. Sounded grim.
    Yes. Sadly

I was a little bit insouciant about the hooliganism after Denmark. But it is very clear from multiple reports that Wembley was deeply ugly. We do still have a hardcore of total wankers, who are punchy and violent

As I said: depressing
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015
    England taking the knee forced me to make racist remarks.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Brom said:

I’ve been to several England matches and never heard a single racist word uttered.
    I was at the Stadium of Light in 2003 when we played Turkey and heard plenty of the 'fans' chant 'I'd rather be a Paki than a Turk.'
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

Brom said:

Bullshit.
    Yup.

There's probably less alcohol drunk there than during a day at a test match, but there's an edge.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/13/ascot-fighting-royal-meeting-hazapour-dermot-weld

vhttps://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/820425/royal-ascot-fight-ladies-day-video-queen-gold-cup-big-orange-results-tips

https://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sports/horse-racing/royals-avoid-ugly-brawl-at-ascot-race-meeting-as-patrons-use-table-legs-and-champagne-bottles-as-weapons/news-story/f3296fff4a3afd8d4bcb7d18876add4b
    Entitled rich twits? I've never encountered that kind of behaviour at York.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I doubt that, but England taking the knee helping the fight against racism? It would be hard to say it has.

Perhaps those fighting hard to take a knee/stop taking a knee should work together and consider some substantial action that can make a difference, particularly against social media platform abuse rather than reaffirming their entrenched stances on a fairly hollow gesture politics debate.

• Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Barnesian said:

Some nice houses on that street!
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

That is a good thing

Are we supposed to be shocked that a corbynite is a closet racist? :-)
    I am genuinely shocked. I have never heard him express anything that could ever be construed as racist. He has working class racist parents (as in the casual, low watt racism of the 1970s, not Nazism), and he has always abjured that. Then suddenly, wow

He is an absolutely passionate football fan, esp for England. Hmmpft
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,141
    Brom said:

I would also say some of the videos of Italian fans celebrating irresponsibly back home, a lot of injuries across various incidents show that England does not have a monopoly on idiots.

There was mass disorder in Paris when France won the World Cup. People have short and selective memories.

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/world/riots-break-out-in-paris-after-world-cup-win/
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Sir Keir Starmer has accused Boris Johnson of a failure of leadership after England players were subjected to racist abuse following their Euro 2020 final defeat.

Get more on this story: https://trib.al/0WgT09E https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1414679187571478537/video/1

A 'failure of leadership' is a lot easier to sell than earlier's 'gave licence' to the racist abuse. The latter is a bit too direct to be plausible, the former more generic but more believable.
  • Options
    Brom said:

dixiedean said:

I doubt that, but England taking the knee helping the fight against racism? It would be hard to say it has.

Perhaps those fighting hard to take a knee/stop taking a knee should work together and consider some substantial action that can make a difference, particularly against social media platform abuse rather than reaffirming their entrenched stances on a fairly hollow gesture politics debate.

So it would appear, these players face horrific online racism all the time. Which largely goes unremarked and unreported upon. I certainly hadn’t heard how common place it was. The argument over the knee has led to this abuse now being thrown into the bright lights.

I wasn’t a fan of the gesture and the perceived politicisation of sport. But I find myself today having changed my mind. Good for them.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Brom said:

dixiedean said:

So it would appear, these players face horrific online racism all the time. Which largely goes unremarked and unreported upon. I certainly hadn’t heard how common place it was. The argument over the knee has led to this abuse now being thrown into the bright lights.

I wasn’t a fan of the gesture and the perceived politicisation of sport. But I find myself today having changed my mind. Good for them.
    Do they generally face online racism? I am happy to be persuaded. I am in a mind-changing mood
  • Options
    pigeon said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

Brom said:

Bullshit.
    Yup.

Entitled rich twits? I've never encountered that kind of behaviour at York.
    I've seen thuggish drunken behaviour at various events such as Ascot and Henley. In both cases the perpetrators are neither racegoers or into rowing. Their share a common theme of being there for a day out drinking and playing at poshing it up. Think estate agents and girlfriends.....

It is quite noticeable that this stuff generally happens away from the actual event, in areas set up by various dubious hospitality companies.
  • Options

Brom said:

There was mass disorder in Paris when France won the World Cup. People have short and selective memories.

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/world/riots-break-out-in-paris-after-world-cup-win/
    It's part of the usual stuff where pretty regular or at least averagely bad culture/behaviour is decried as an egregiously unique evil, taking an exceptionalist approach to supposed exceptionalism.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,433
    I'm baffled by the relaxed response to the disturbances around Wembley. The government has recently passed an Act restricting the right of protest because it might inconvenience people, but they can have disorder and violence at Wembley and there's no threat of banning crowds at future matches as punishment. I'm pretty sure that most other events would be facing calls for cancellation if they'd seen similar disorder.
  • Options
    To lighten the mood.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdVDJmXs/
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Barnesian said:

Some nice houses on that street!
    isn't that where Marc Bolan ate the peach?
  • Options
    Given apparent rising tension between the England team and the government, interesting question will be whether (as in 2018) govt invites the squad to Downing St for a reception and indeed if so, whether the players (or all the players) accept?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/12/england-world-cup-team-invited-10-downing-street-reception-theresa-may
This discussion has been closed.