Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What happened in Batley and Spen at the May 2019 Euro elections – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Israel is negotiating with the United Kingdom to broker a COVID-19 vaccine swap deal, reports Channel 12 news.

According to the report, Israel is seeking to ship some of its Pfizer vaccines that are due to expire at the end of July to the UK. In exchange, it is hoping to receive an equivalent number of vaccines that the UK is slated to receive from Pfizer in September.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/israel-negotiating-covid-vaccine-swap-deal-with-uk/

Sid at the warehouse wants to know if they fancy some AZN instead?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

Actual LOLing at this

Khrushchev was once photographed next to a lot of pigs as part of his drive to produce more meat.

Pravda had a very difficult meeting deciding on a caption.

They went with ‘third from left - Comrade Khrushchev.’
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Donald Rumsfeld has died
  • Options
    NEW: South Africa reports 19,506 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase since January 9, and 383 new deaths
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

If anyone is wondering why you would endure 45C at dusk with no air con followed by a 3 hour night-time hike up a volcano it’s because at the end you see this

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

If anyone is wondering why you would endure 45C at dusk with no air con followed by a 3 hour night-time hike up a volcano it’s because at the end you see this

That does look rather amazing.
    It does. The 45C seems appropriate.

I've have thought Vanuatu might have an easier lava lake to visit, though? Assuming that any currently on Hawaii are too dangerous. Nyragongo is currently erupting so that's definitely out.

We have our own lava lake in the South Sandwich Islands (Green list!), but you might have to endure -45C instead and the summit has never been climbed.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Israel is negotiating with the United Kingdom to broker a COVID-19 vaccine swap deal, reports Channel 12 news.

According to the report, Israel is seeking to ship some of its Pfizer vaccines that are due to expire at the end of July to the UK. In exchange, it is hoping to receive an equivalent number of vaccines that the UK is slated to receive from Pfizer in September.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/israel-negotiating-covid-vaccine-swap-deal-with-uk/

That works!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

We could be in for a long night tomorrow. These are the previous declaration times in Batley and Spen:

2019 — 5:16am
    2017 — 4:00am
    2015 — 6:29am
    2010 — 4:59am

If they declared at 6:02, that would be ideal. Catch the early morning news bulletins.

The fact that my alarm is set for 5:59 is a pure coincidence.
    If it's a close result it could be more like 9 or 10 in the morning before they declare, based on these times.
    I will be surprised if it’s close. If the Labour vote collapses it will be an easy Tory gain. If it doesn’t, easy Labour hold.

Now I’ve said that it will of course be five votes and six recounts.
    How do you think Galloway will do?
    I would love to think he will get only one vote.

But, realistically, he will probably get about 4-5000 votes.
    I think fewer. BFx has a market up, but poor value IMO.

I think a lot of his more fanatical supporters are from outside B and S, and that many in the Muslim community will stay loyal to Labour.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    Apols. Sirte Ale is apparently better known as Erta Ale. Spellings vary. See here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erta_Ale
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

That’s about a quarter of what you see. A lake of boiling, seething, erupting lava maybe a kilometre wide. When we arrived everyone just fell silent for about 20 minutes. Total, enraptured awe

I’ve travelled the entire world. Sirte Ale in Ethiopia is a top 3 travel experience
    Which countries haven't you been to?
    Most of sub-Saharan Africa. Central America. Central Asia - the stans

But I have been to almost everywhere I REALLY wanted to go. Which is nice. As travel is getting harder

I still really want to see Georgia and Armenia, however - I aim to do that this year

Georgia's nice. And has nice wine. Well, a lot of it is shit, semi sweet red originally made for the Soviet market. But the Qvevri orange wine is pretty much unique. Slightly surprised I've managed to get somewhere you haven't been.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Sid at the warehouse wants to know if they fancy some AZN instead?
    Send it via Ocado as a substitution...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    Sandpit said:

That works!
    A sensible plan, surely, would be to threaten a blockade of Israel, then sue Pfizer for {something}
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,391

Good if we can get the jabs into arms in the next four weeks before they expire. These are the vaccines declined by Palestine because of their imminent expiry.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Dr John Campbell video today is reviewing a new paper that says the rare blood clotting from AZN is due to the injection basically isn't going into the muscle, its going into a blood vessel.
  • Options
    Just watching C4 News. New maternity scandal, Nottingham this time.

Perhaps at some point the penny will drop that this is a national problem.
  • Options

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

That’s about a quarter of what you see. A lake of boiling, seething, erupting lava maybe a kilometre wide. When we arrived everyone just fell silent for about 20 minutes. Total, enraptured awe

I’ve travelled the entire world. Sirte Ale in Ethiopia is a top 3 travel experience
    Which countries haven't you been to?
    Most of sub-Saharan Africa. Central America. Central Asia - the stans

But I have been to almost everywhere I REALLY wanted to go. Which is nice. As travel is getting harder

I still really want to see Georgia and Armenia, however - I aim to do that this year

Georgia's nice. And has nice wine. Well, a lot of it is shit, semi sweet red originally made for the Soviet market. But the Qvevri orange wine is pretty much unique. Slightly surprised I've managed to get somewhere you haven't been.
    I once persuaded a very pretty Russian waitress in Vladivostok to sleep with me, after plying her with endless over-sweet Georgian champagne. Unfortunately I was so drunk I lost my hotel bedroom key, and spent so long trying to find it - 20 minutes? - she sighed with exasperation at my stupidity and wandered off

It rankles to this day. Amazing legs
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Dr John Campbell video today is reviewing a new paper that says the rare blood clotting from AZN is due to the injection basically isn't going into the muscle, its going into a blood vessel.

I seem to recall this suggestion being made within days of Germany first saying they though there was a link.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    alex_ said:

I seem to recall this suggestion being made within days of Germany first saying they though there was a link.
    Yes it was made by a few doctors.

https://twitter.com/RajeevJayadevan/status/1377911674427019265
  • Options
    edited June 2021

alex_ said:

Why would you be pinching the skin in the first place? Is thst the usual way of doing other vaccines?
  • Options
    That had to be the smoothest landing of SpaceX booster....they really have nailed the thunderbird's tech.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Does that mean there was nothing wrong with the AZ vaccine after all?
  • Options
    Finally.... the wait is over 🥁🎊

We have just released a brand new map for vaccinations in England and Scotland on the UK Coronavirus Dashboard.

Many thanks to all involved (and to the NHS). Another massive piece of work is done!

#UKCovid19 https://twitter.com/Pouriaaa/status/1410323166560407557/photo/1

See the new map here:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map/vaccinations
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Behr:

Even to an attentive audience, Starmer has nothing memorable to say. His unofficial campaign slogan was “unity in ambiguity”. He criticised the 2019 manifesto for offering too much policy, but would not say which parts should have been discarded.

Starmer’s popularity ratings have taken a knock since the end of last year, but he still has more prime ministerial bearing than anyone else on the Labour frontbench. And there are always available fantasies of a sudden change in the political weather.

[But] Labour unity is not a principle that means anything to most of the public. And its value decays to nothing when there is confusion over what everyone is supposed to unite around.

The likely trajectory is a purgatory of semi-loyalty, with disappointed MPs complaining about the direction but not offering any alternatives. And without such a battle, Starmer seems condemned to be voiceless. Unless some crisis comes along that forces him to say aloud what he really believes, it isn’t clear how else we are supposed to know.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/29/labour-keir-starmer-party-unity
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Presumably it says in the paper, but if this was the cause why would it be unique to AZ?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Yes and no. I don't think its ideal that it can do this and even if you don't pinch the skin i guess you could hit a blood vessel, but it does seem to be being suggested incorrect technique is what probably exhasabating it from absolutely incredibly rare event to incredibly rare event.
  • Options
    The travel weirdness of covid.

Half the restaurants in Palma Majorca are shut. Due to plague. The ones that are open serve mainly German customers, so the food is hideous, as Germans eat horrible food which would trouble a Brit in the late 1970s, let alone now

However I am enjoying a superb delivery curry, thanks to all the Brits who come here, usually, I suspect
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

Half the restaurants in Palma Majorca are shut. Due to plague. The ones that are open serve mainly German customers, so the food is hideous, as Germans eat horrible food which would trouble a Brit in the late 1970s, let alone now

However I am enjoying a superb delivery curry, thanks to all the Brits who come here, usually, I suspect

I don't think people remember / realise how much better food has got in the UK. You can go to so many normalish pubs these days and get decent food, let alone when you go to a "proper" restaurants...and not just London.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

First deaths without cases, then cases and deaths, now cases without deaths. First no testing and no vaccines, then testing and no vaccines, now testing and vaccines

https://twitter.com/MacaesBruno/status/1410316005189079044?s=20

That's a great chart.
    Bit misleading, perhaps though given the different scaling on the axes.
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Anecdata from Cornwall

A close friend of mine (cancer survivor, l;ate 50s) lives in Mousehole. Cornwall

She reports a huge spike in cases in Cornish hotspots - post G7 - up to 900 per 100,000

She also reports two double jabbed villagers are really ill with Delta, and half the pubs and restaurants are shut again, because so many staff are ill/isolating. Not good

Well if its doing that in vaccinated Britain, the goodness knows what it is doing in unvaxxed American states like Texas and Florida.

Especially in their big, crowded cities! must be armageddon.
    Yes, Delta must surely show up soon, in their stats
    Its gonna be a disaster in vaccine hesitant Black communities, not so much in conservative white ones, since they live about 100 miles from anywhere.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Leon said:

I don't think people remember / realise how much better food has got in the UK. You can go to so many normalish pubs these days and get decent food, let alone when you go to a proper place.
    I remember ending up in the same pub all the time while working in Austria simply because it was the only place that was at all bearable.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

alex_ said:

ISTR at the beginning of the year, Campbell showing a video of an injection, and asking if the pinching of the skin was the proper way of doing the injection. Enough for me to take note when myself and Mrs J were done.

BTW, although I disagree with some of what he says (there's no way we can train enough dogs up to sniff Covid), I'd like to see Campbell getting some form of honour for his videos. They've been excellent and level-headed at a time when most other people have been losing theirs.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993
    alex_ said:

BigRich said:

Presumably it says in the paper, but if this was the cause why would it be unique to AZ?
    Here's a theory: because of the difficulty of distributing Moderna and Pfizer, it is more likely they would be injected by a trained professional than with AstraZeneca.

Could be completely wrong, of course.
  • Options
    Nunu3 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Anecdata from Cornwall

A close friend of mine (cancer survivor, l;ate 50s) lives in Mousehole. Cornwall

She reports a huge spike in cases in Cornish hotspots - post G7 - up to 900 per 100,000

She also reports two double jabbed villagers are really ill with Delta, and half the pubs and restaurants are shut again, because so many staff are ill/isolating. Not good

Well if its doing that in vaccinated Britain, the goodness knows what it is doing in unvaxxed American states like Texas and Florida.

Especially in their big, crowded cities! must be armageddon.
    Yes, Delta must surely show up soon, in their stats
    Its gonna be a disaster in vaccine hesitant Black communities, not so much in conservative white ones, since they live about 100 miles from anywhere.
    “Ill/isolating” is quite an important distinction though. Given that if the majority are the latter then it could just be a consequence of a Govt policy which doesn’t exist in the US.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    Scott_xP said:

We have just released a brand new map for vaccinations in England and Scotland on the UK Coronavirus Dashboard.

Many thanks to all involved (and to the NHS). Another massive piece of work is done!

See the new map here:

Shows some interesting second dose issues in Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham Leicester and Coventry alongside London.
  • Options
    This tweet has gone viral. Indicating it might be true. But is it?

‘As someone who lives there, the rate in which Glasgow is deteriorating is unbelievable. Turning into an absolute dump.’

https://twitter.com/ryancapperauld/status/1410162083635863556?s=21

I remember Glasgow as being surprisingly handsome, despite its satanic climate. Rugged, impressive Victorian buildings. Sad if that’s changed
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

alex_ said:

BigRich said:

Here's a theory: because of the difficulty of distributing Moderna and Pfizer, it is more likely they would be injected by a trained professional than with AstraZeneca.

Could be completely wrong, of course.
    Could be the other way round, and the specially-trained volunteers are the ones using the correct technique, because it is the only one they know, and the experienced professionals are the ones doing what they always have done.
  • Options
    eek said:

Leon said:

I don't think people remember / realise how much better food has got in the UK. You can go to so many normalish pubs these days and get decent food, let alone when you go to a proper place.
    I remember ending up in the same pub all the time while working in Austria simply because it was the only place that was at all bearable.
    Holland too. Calamitous food. They fuck everything up

About a mile away in Belgium it’s often brilliant and rarely bad. It’s very odd

Clearly the Protestant/catholic divide is at play. But then food throughout Latin America (catholic) is disastrous, except for Argentinian steak. Phillipines also a hold out of terrible food in a sea of good food
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Clearly the Protestant/catholic divide is at play. But then food throughout Latin America (catholic) is disastrous, except for Argentinian steak. Phillipines also a hold out of terrible food in a sea of good food
    I used to work with a Dutch guy and we asked him what beer he drank and he replied “Belgian beer”.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I know this isn't going to be a popular view on here, however, I think the UK is hitting the demand wall for first doses. We're going to edge up to 90% over the next few weeks now but there won't be any big jumps like we've been used to. From the chatter most of the walk ins are people asking for early second doses rather than first doses. There will be a slowdown to around 150k per day average and then under 100k from next week onwards and then a trivial number in two weeks time.

It's time for the government to start vaccinating 12-17 year olds.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

I used to work with a Dutch guy and we asked him what beer he drank and he replied “Belgian beer”.
    Hahaha

I remember Heineken in the Leidseplein as being ok tho. But I was about 19 and stoned
  • Options
    Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Peruvian seafood is also good.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

First deaths without cases, then cases and deaths, now cases without deaths. First no testing and no vaccines, then testing and no vaccines, now testing and vaccines

I was just about to ask if anyone had a chart like that. It really shows the difference.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    MaxPB said:

I know this isn't going to be a popular view on here, however, I think the UK is hitting the demand wall for first doses. We're going to edge up to 90% over the next few weeks now but there won't be any big jumps like we've been used to. From the chatter most of the walk ins are people asking for early second doses rather than first doses. There will be a slowdown to around 150k per day average and then under 100k from next week onwards and then a trivial number in two weeks time.

Too late for that, in all probability. Easier to do that in schools, and in three weeks they shut for the summer.

Realistically a major drive on 12-16 isn’t happening before September now.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    MaxPB said:

I don't know - in my part of the world, only 56% of adults have had the first dose and 33% both doses. Even if you accept NIMS numbers are an overstatement that leaves Newham a long way behind and as a consequence we are seeing rising case numbers across the Borough.

There's no "answer" - I do think more weekend walk-in vaccination centres are an answer especially for younger people and I'd like to think we will in time bring the second dose number up much closer to the first dose but if we end up with 40% of adults unvaccinated, that's a concern
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    alex_ said:

BigRich said:

Could be both things, both AZ characteristic and incorrect administration.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Looking at the interactive map, there's quite a lot of variation in first dose percentages.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,814

Aslan said:

ydoethur said:

Aslan said:

algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

My cheerful friend in Cornwall adds this:

"Delta can transmit in 5-10 seconds"

Evidence....
    She didn't give a citation. But she IS very clever, top of her profession, not a fool that reads the Express

She's the sort that does tons of reading. I'm minded to believe that she has, at least, read that somewhere reputable; doesn't make it true, of course

But we can all see how frigging infectious Delta can be. It's almost as if it this virus was engineered to have maximum virulence, in a lab
    Wait, I thought it was the original version that got leaked from a lab? If so, the lab version was a bit naff really, wasn't it, compared to Delta? So much for enhancement of function.

Or did the original version and Delta both come from the lab? That really would be careless (lose a virus once, shame on... shame on you, lose a virus... - you can't lose a virus again!)
    At the risk of going around in more @Leon circles...

The Case Against the Covid-19 Lab Leak Theory
    https://newrepublic.com/article/162689/bats-covid-19-lab-leak-theory
    I don't think anyone believes natural zoonosis outside the lab is likely, not anymore

"Former State Dept officials tell
    @CBSNews
    significant info about the Wuhan lab was buried in government databases + didn’t reach their desks for nearly a year, as there is a new push to know the origins #COVID19
    @CBS_Herridge
    reports on the lab leak theory"

https://twitter.com/CBS_Herridge/status/1410222245079830533?s=20

The New York Times:

"It’s very difficult to read this and not be convinced that this was a lab leak. This is pretty damning:"

https://twitter.com/susanthesquark/status/1408660068157911046?s=20

Perhaps not on your Twitter feed.
    No, I mean generally:

"Most Americans believe in COVID-19 lab leak theory: Poll"

https://aninews.in/news/world/us/most-americans-believe-in-covid-19-lab-leak-theory-poll20210624111141#.YNQxMWre7n4.twitter

Indeed, most Americans think their government conspired to hide the truth of this:

"Poll: Majority believe US Government and media tried to cover up Wuhan lab leak theory"

https://twitter.com/DesertReporter/status/1410264107790438412?s=20
    A sentence starting "Most Americans believe..." is not one that is really going to be a slam dunker in an argument.
    It is - but perhaps not in the way its deployer might wish.

Edit: of course, this does not apply when the issue of popuilar belief itself is beign discussed, rather than the strict validity of the belief itself.
    Apparently nearly 80% of Americans believe in at least one unscientifically proven idea! However, only 2.3% of respondents identified as flat earthers (which out of a population of 331M is still quite a lot of absolute loons!)
    While on that topic ...

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/the-flat-earths-controversial-hq-in-inverness-appears-to-ha-242960/
    Fantastic! I love the quote at the end of the article: Two millennia of scientific consensus has it that the earth is spherical.
    "The Flat Earth Society was set up by Samuel Shenton in 1956 in the English town of Dover and remains active today."
    Great place to see the ships disappear over the horizon.
    That's because the earth isn't exactly flat but an inverted saucer with a tiny curve, but not so much that the sea falls off. The moon is flat.

If the moon is flat, wouldn't it become an ellipse as it moves away from us across the sky?
    It would be ova and above us.
    But sometimes the moon is above us. Sometimes it is over on the horizon. And it is a circle no matter where it is. That requires a sphere.
    That's because the sun and moon are flat discs being pushed across the night sky by a scarab beetle; I thought everyone knew that?
    I know a guy who is a Flat Earther. What particularly puzzles me is that he worked in New Zealand for a while.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    rcs1000 said:

That's a great chart.

It's really useful, and exactly what I was looking for. It's almost spooky that I come on here and somebody has already posted what I wanted.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    MaxPB said:

That's been pretty evident for a while - Wales is on 89% first jabs and crawling up at 0.1 percent a day - at this rate they should hit 90% in a week.
  • Options
    Leon said:

‘As someone who lives there, the rate in which Glasgow is deteriorating is unbelievable. Turning into an absolute dump.’

I remember Glasgow as being surprisingly handsome, despite its satanic climate. Rugged, impressive Victorian buildings. Sad if that’s changed

I don't know the city well, but I have the opposite view. My first visits 30-odd years ago were short (including a 12-hour coach trip from London with a breakdown), and I found the city grey, run-down and dismal. I did a walking trip a couple of years ago and thought it very different: spectacular vistas, and some great modern architecture contrasting well with the Victorian. It's not Edinburgh (few places are), but I was surprised by how much I liked Glasgow. And it wasn't as though I was seeking out the popular touristy parts, either. The city is blessed with some spectacular parks - the Kelvin Walkway being particularly good (the bit south of Milngavie is pants, though).

Obviously people who live there, or visit regularly, may have different opinions.
  • Options
    Ok, votes for weirdly good regional or National cuisines

(I’m bored but drunk and happy)

My three

1. Without question: the solovetsky islands of the White Sea. A microclimate. Everything grown there. Cattle that live on salt grass. Dill. Omg. The best fish and chips ever

2. The seafood of east anglia

3. Calabria. The home of nduja. Desperately poor but the local and highly violent mafia recruit the best chefs. Or kidnap them
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,757

Actual LOLing at this

What that copy doesn't show, but better copies do, is the string holding the penguin in place.

https://twitter.com/natlibscot/status/1111320500360437761

Whether this was airbrushed out is a good question.
  • Options

Leon said:

I don't know the city well, but I have the opposite view. My first visits 30-odd years ago were short (including a 12-hour coach trip from London with a breakdown), and I found the city grey, run-down and dismal. I did a walking trip a couple of years ago and thought it very different: spectacular vistas, and some great modern architecture contrasting well with the Victorian. It's not Edinburgh (few places are), but I was surprised by how much I liked Glasgow. And it wasn't as though I was seeking out the popular touristy parts, either. The city is blessed with some spectacular parks - the Kelvin Walkway being particularly good (the bit south of Milngavie is pants, though).

Obviously people who live there, or visit regularly, may have different opinions.
    That’s good to hear. I really liked Glasgow. Funny, salty people. Wonderful Victorian quarter. I suspect the tweeter has an anti-Nat bias
  • Options
    IIRC at about this time be for the last 2 By elections the betting markets where swinging towards what we would find out was the eventual winner, are the betting odds changing tonight?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Scott_xP said:

See the new map here:

Looks terrible in some areas not far from me, very low second doses, but then I realised those bits were home to several military camps, which is probably not a coincidence given they are 30-40% lower than the areas immediately around them.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

See the new map here:

Looks terrible in some areas not far from me, very low second doses, but then I realised those bits were home to several military camps, which is probably not a coincidence given they are 30-40% lower than the areas immediately around them.
    Yep. Warminster east lower than central and west, almost certainly the army.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    With Rumsfield dying today , he has gone to the great known unknown .
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    Sky News Politics
    @SkyNewsPolitics
    ·
    2h
    Matt Hancock is facing a backlash in his constituency over breaking social distancing rules, with a Conservative councillor calling for the former health secretary to be deselected if he does not stand down
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The choice of colour coding is poor again on that vaccine chart.

What's the bloody hell going on in manchester! Some areas tiny uptake of 2nd doses.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

We could be in for a long night tomorrow. These are the previous declaration times in Batley and Spen:

2019 — 5:16am
    2017 — 4:00am
    2015 — 6:29am
    2010 — 4:59am

If they declared at 6:02, that would be ideal. Catch the early morning news bulletins.

The fact that my alarm is set for 5:59 is a pure coincidence.
    If it's a close result it could be more like 9 or 10 in the morning before they declare, based on these times.
    I will be surprised if it’s close. If the Labour vote collapses it will be an easy Tory gain. If it doesn’t, easy Labour hold.

Now I’ve said that it will of course be five votes and six recounts.
    How do you think Galloway will do?
    I would love to think he will get only one vote.

But, realistically, he will probably get about 4-5000 votes.
    I think fewer. BFx has a market up, but poor value IMO.

I think a lot of his more fanatical supporters are from outside B and S, and that many in the Muslim community will stay loyal to Labour.
    I still think the Ladbroke 1-8 on Labour vs Galloway (suggested by Quincel when it was 1-4) is fantastic value. 10% return in 36 hours.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,114

With Rumsfield dying today , he has gone to the great known unknown .

I think his destination may be a known known.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The implication is the change in the local council administration from decades of labour rule to the SNP.

Labour might have favoured jobs for the boys, but they did the jobs.

The SNP are more interested in the culture war than cleaning the streets.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I have been saying this for a while, by early next week, the age group getting the most jabs now the 18-24, will be about as vaccinated 58% ish as the 30-34, and in all likelihood will be down to the daily rate of vaccinations that are being administered to that group. it may even slow down before that.

We need to open up the booking of jabs to the 16 &17 Year olds now, which will give us about another week to decide what to do with those even younger.
  • Options
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

I don't know - in my part of the world, only 56% of adults have had the first dose and 33% both doses. Even if you accept NIMS numbers are an overstatement that leaves Newham a long way behind and as a consequence we are seeing rising case numbers across the Borough.

There's no "answer" - I do think more weekend walk-in vaccination centres are an answer especially for younger people and I'd like to think we will in time bring the second dose number up much closer to the first dose but if we end up with 40% of adults unvaccinated, that's a concern
    That's the demand wall though, especially in a place like Newham. Anyone who wants a first dose will literally be able to walk up and get one within a day of making an appointment by next week so the issue is not supply of vaccines.

The discussion needs to move on to why some areas have hit it at just 70-80% of eligible people and other at 90-100% but that doesn't mean we should stop the vaccine programme to have it.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,968
    Leon said:

My three

1. Without question: the solovetsky islands of the White Sea. A microclimate. Everything grown there. Cattle that live on salt grass. Dill. Omg. The best fish and chips ever

3. Calabria. The home of nduja. Desperately poor but the local and highly violent mafia recruit the best chefs. Or kidnap them

Go to any Taiwanese night market. Eat from the stall with the biggest crowd.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    MaxPB said:

Malmesbury's graph for Wales seems to have flatlined weeks ago...
    Leon said:

I think one of the problems is minus the office working suited and booted professionals wandering through train stations heading to city centre offices etc., the...ah...less desireable elements of the local population are much more noticeable and not so...diluted. But it's hard to tell for sure as a suited and booted professional who doesn't work in the city centre anymore because it's all WFH, I've only been in the city centre three times this year whereas I spent most of my adult life travelling there for study and work. All in all I think it could do with getting office workers back in decent numbers.

On the flipside, there is definitely something to the comments about litter and grime and parts of it looking like it could do with a decent pressure wash, but I'd say it's a problem that seems mainly confined to the immediate environs of streets around the train station, and Sauchiehall street. The office district part of the city centre - opposite direction to the main shoppingy bits - is generally nice, there's lots of new buildings getting flung up for banks etc., and the west end is the generally nicer bit anyway.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

My three

Ooh. Good call. I’ve heard Taiwanese food is superb. It makes sense. Chinese with money!

The food in Singapore is generally brilliant. Malaysia might have the best cuisine in the world I reckon - an incredible mix of Chinese, Thai and Indian, possibly superior to Vietnam
  • Options
    Leon said:

They should have stuck with Labour.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

That’s good to hear. I really liked Glasgow. Funny, salty people. Wonderful Victorian quarter. I suspect the tweeter has an anti-Nat bias
    My views may not be correct, either. It was one visit, and you can get a very different opinion on a city by walking a different route. As it happens, I also think modern Liverpool (the centre, at least) is much better than it was.

But again, that was as a visitor, walking through. At least this time there was no car on its roof in the mid-afternoon...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

See the new map here:

are the maps using ONS estimates for total population or the NIMS data?

as they are about 5.3 million difference then that's quite a defiance

• Options

MaxPB said:

Looking at the interactive map, there's quite a lot of variation in first dose percentages.
    I think the demand wall will vary in areas and that's down to demographic differences. It's a separate discussion and for the likes of Stodge, it is one that we should have but it also shouldn't halt the progress of vaccines through age groups. We need to continually create new demand for it and right now Pfizer is FDA approved for 12-17 year olds so we should extend the programme for those ages and let parents and teenagers make the decision.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Sky News Politics
    @SkyNewsPolitics
    ·
    2h
    Matt Hancock is facing a backlash in his constituency over breaking social distancing rules, with a Conservative councillor calling for the former health secretary to be deselected if he does not stand down

Good luck deselecting every MP who has broken the rules. Or is that not the plan?

ETA at a cynical guess, Hancock's missus is well-liked by the local party and Matt has barely been sighted in the constituency since planting his bottom on the front bench. That is often the way.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    One MSOA in London (Fitzrovia) is showing as 37.5% 1st doses - what on earth is going on there?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,994
    The most improved UK city has to be Manchester. It was filthy, and dangerous, in the 1990s, edgy as fuck - although the clubbing was world class.

These days it’s a fantastic place. Still has great nightlife but with much better restaurants, and far less sketchiness.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

One MSOA in London (Fitzrovia) is showing as 37.5% 1st doses - what on earth is going on there?

Fitzrovia is deserted. There’s no one there

Generally it is inhabited by foreign students (oops), rich foreigners with london cash cow homes (oops) and very rich Londoners who have decamped to their country piles (ah)

There is an element of council and legacy housing and that is the 37%
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    John Roberts
    @john_actuary
    JCVI is recommending booster COVID vaccinations this autumn, starting in September, along with flu jabs for all over 50.

Remember Priority Groups 1-9? Well, looks like they're back, with 1-4 in Stage 1, and 5-9 in Stage 2. Immunosuppressed individuals are added too.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

My three

Ooh. Good call. I’ve heard Taiwanese food is superb. It makes sense. Chinese with money!

The food in Singapore is generally brilliant. Malaysia might have the best cuisine in the world I reckon - an incredible mix of Chinese, Thai and Indian, possibly superior to Vietnam
    Malaysian food is great. Suriname has amazing food for similar reasons - mix of European, Creole, Javanese, Indian and Chinese. Trinidadian rotis and doubles are some of the best street food I've ever eaten, washed down with plenty of cold beers at Carnival. But Sri Lanka has the best food I've ever eaten. Everything there is amazing.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Sky News Politics
    @SkyNewsPolitics
    ·
    2h

Scapegoat: (in the Bible) a goat sent into the wilderness after the Jewish chief priest had symbolically laid the sins of the people upon it (Lev. 16).
  • Options

The most improved UK city has to be Manchester. It was filthy, and dangerous, in the 1990s, edgy as fuck - although the clubbing was world class.

These days it’s a fantastic place. Still has great nightlife but with much better restaurants, and far less sketchiness.

My last memory of Manchester was about 2003. And it was horrible. I should go back then?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    On Topic

Have had 3 requests for me to help on Thursday in B&S. One from Regional Office and Two from HQ and SKS

If Lab were totally out of this seems very strange.

Make of it what you will

Of course I wont be helping
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    kle4 said:

Most of the people living in Fitzrovia are Sean's aliases. Probably a lot of the rest are students.

ETA scooped by @Leon!
  • Options
    Well well. Matt Hancock's local Tory party comes out in staunch support of their MP after "taking soundings". West Suffolk Conservative Association says: "Matt has given us a heartfelt apology.. has faced up to the mistakes he has made on both a human and a professional level.."
    https://twitter.com/JackElsom/status/1410333914401546245
  • Options
    Leon said:

My three

While almost all the food I had during my time in the Netherlands, is berst not remarked upon, one unexpected exception was 'raue herring and onions', which is prepared is such a way, with its tail still on it, that you lean your head back and slide it in to you mouth while holding the tail before bighting it off. looks mad and by that point I had tried a lot of there other food so was not expecting much, but in the end tasted remarkably good.
  • Options

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

My three

Malaysian food is great. Suriname has amazing food for similar reasons - mix of European, Creole, Javanese, Indian and Chinese. Trinidadian rotis and doubles are some of the best street food I've ever eaten, washed down with plenty of cold beers at Carnival. But Sri Lanka has the best food I've ever eaten. Everything there is amazing.
    How weird. I had generally terrible food in Sri Lanka. And we tried everywhere. Not just tourist traps. It was so bad we made an extra effort. But no. The best we got was an ok curry with an egg on top

Whereas almost anywhere in India you get great food

However so many people have taken your position I think we were just very unlucky

Fascinating about Surinam. I have yet to find a South American country with good food. Perhaps that is it.

Mexico, bewilderingly, is great
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,994
    Honourable runner-up, Newcastle. Always been a handsome city but more cultured these days.
    Leon said:

My last memory of Manchester was about 2003. And it was horrible. I should go back then?
    Absolutely. I’ve not been since the pandemic kicked off. But certainly, in the 2010s I was up regularly with work and it was great.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,968
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

My three

Not only money. They have no tradition of famine due to being an island in a massive sea and it pissing down all the time. Therefore they eat no weird and wonderful animals. And don't overdo the sauces. And a vast variety of seafood.
    Also. There are people and their food from every region of China. A huge, unspoken about Japanese influence. Decades as a US r and r hub, plus migrant workers from across Asia, and about 15% Buddhist, who are vegan.
    So. You can get almost anything. And if you go to the one with the biggest crowd it is lucky dip for what cuisine you'll eat.
    Except that it will be lush.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

rcs1000 said:

That's a great chart.
    Bit misleading, perhaps though given the different scaling on the axes.
    I don't think it's misleading at all: they both start at zero, and they're both effectively scaled so their peaks coincide.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    BigRich said:

Leon said:

My three

While almost all the food I had during my time in the Netherlands, is berst not remarked upon, one unexpected exception was 'raue herring and onions', which is prepared is such a way, with its tail still on it, that you lean your head back and slide it in to you mouth while holding the tail before bighting it off. looks mad and by that point I had tried a lot of there other food so was not expecting much, but in the end tasted remarkably good.
    Yes, with these terrible cuisines there is generally one or two things they do really well

With Britain I guess it used to be fish and chips or breakfast. Thank god that has greatly changed

In Germany it is pickled things and wurst. Dinner is nearly always shite but you can get a decent pickled gherkin - and a good sausage.

In Holland it is raw herring and maybe… no, that’s it.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    glw said:

I was just about to ask if anyone had a chart like that. It really shows the difference.
    There is no question now that the link between cases and deaths has been broken - and there needs to be a full lifting of legal restrictions.

If any of these zealot zero covid "experts" insist on dragging out lockdown any further we need someone in government brave enough to say that we've had enough of experts saying they know what is best and consistently getting it wrong.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Generally it is inhabited by foreign students (oops), rich foreigners with london cash cow homes (oops) and very rich Londoners who have decamped to their country piles (ah)

As a former Fitzrovia resident (W1W 5NG), I think there's some truth in that. But it also ued to be a fabulous village.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

As a former Fitzrovia resident (W1W 5NG), I think there's some truth in that. But it also ued to be a fabulous village.
    Charlotte street used to be my favourite urban street in the entire world. Sigh

Let’s hope it bounces back. I love it as you do
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    This 38 year old Welsh resident is getting a second dose tomorrow. I think it has been 10 or 11 weeks since the first jab.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Honourable runner-up, Newcastle. Always been a handsome city but more cultured these days.

Leon said:

Absolutely. I’ve not been since the pandemic kicked off. But certainly, in the 2010s I was up regularly with work and it was great.
    Ooh, we're on home territory here. Can't chip on in Taiwan but you should definitely come to Manchester. I will plan a tour of architecture and streetlife and drinking establishments for you. If nothing else, you should check out the astonishing way in which the city centre has changed since 2003 - it's about four times bigger, for one thing. We've still got the ugly-as-sin core of the Arndale/Market Street/Piccadilly Gardens, but that no longer constitutes all of, or even more than a small proportion of the city centre. And the skyline! Nowhere else outside London like it in the UK.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

This 38 year old Welsh resident is getting a second dose tomorrow. I think it has been 10 or 11 weeks since the first jab.

Are Wales not doing 8 week speed-up?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

glw said:

There is no question now that the link between cases and deaths has been broken - and there needs to be a full lifting of legal restrictions.

If any of these zealot zero covid "experts" insist on dragging out lockdown any further we need someone in government brave enough to say that we've had enough of experts saying they know what is best and consistently getting it wrong.
    Leave it to the Brexit experts that thought we held all the cards

That is bound to end well
This discussion has been closed.