Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What happened in Batley and Spen at the May 2019 Euro elections – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    US fashion giant Gap has confirmed it plans to close all its 81 stores in the UK and Ireland and go online-only.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

glw said:

First deaths without cases, then cases and deaths, now cases without deaths. First no testing and no vaccines, then testing and no vaccines, now testing and vaccines

https://twitter.com/MacaesBruno/status/1410316005189079044?s=20

I was just about to ask if anyone had a chart like that. It really shows the difference.
    There is no question now that the link between cases and deaths has been broken - and there needs to be a full lifting of legal restrictions.

If any of these zealot zero covid "experts" insist on dragging out lockdown any further we need someone in government brave enough to say that we've had enough of experts saying they know what is best and consistently getting it wrong.
    Leave it to the Brexit experts that thought we held all the cards

That is bound to end well
    We did hold all the cards. Brexit went great once we got a Brexiteer instead of a Remainer in charge.

We need to dislodge the Zero Covid zealots from the decision making processes now, they've got it consistently wrong. Hopefully Javid won't buy what they were selling to Hancock.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

glw said:

First deaths without cases, then cases and deaths, now cases without deaths. First no testing and no vaccines, then testing and no vaccines, now testing and vaccines

I was just about to ask if anyone had a chart like that. It really shows the difference.
    There is no question now that the link between cases and deaths has been broken - and there needs to be a full lifting of legal restrictions.

If any of these zealot zero covid "experts" insist on dragging out lockdown any further we need someone in government brave enough to say that we've had enough of experts saying they know what is best and consistently getting it wrong.

We did hold all the cards. Brexit went great once we got a Brexiteer instead of a Remainer in charge.

We need to dislodge the Zero Covid zealots from the decision making processes now, they've got it consistently wrong. Hopefully Javid won't buy what they were selling to Hancock.
    Mind the Gap

US fashion giant Gap has confirmed it plans to close all its 81 stores in the UK and Ireland and go online-only.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,863

in the words of Ryan Gosling...

"Be better than the Gap!"
  • Options
    edited June 2021

glw said:

Mind the Gap

And French ones are going to....
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Must...not...make...joke...about...gap...in...market...
  • Options
    That great BRITISH tennis player rolling back the years at the moment....
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,813

Christ. This is a lot of empty spaces on my high street

We need to rethink our town centres from scratch. And councils have to accept much lower rents. It is what it is, etc

The worst thing is keeping these streets dark hoping for retail to return. It won’t. We need people places. Pubs, cafes, restaurants, etc, with vastly reduced rents. Tax the internet giants to pay for it
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Ok, votes for weirdly good regional or National cuisines

(I’m bored but drunk and happy)

My three

1. Without question: the solovetsky islands of the White Sea. A microclimate. Everything grown there. Cattle that live on salt grass. Dill. Omg. The best fish and chips ever

2. The seafood of east anglia

3. Calabria. The home of nduja. Desperately poor but the local and highly violent mafia recruit the best chefs. Or kidnap them

Go to any Taiwanese night market. Eat from the stall with the biggest crowd.
    Ooh. Good call. I’ve heard Taiwanese food is superb. It makes sense. Chinese with money!

The food in Singapore is generally brilliant. Malaysia might have the best cuisine in the world I reckon - an incredible mix of Chinese, Thai and Indian, possibly superior to Vietnam
    Malaysian food is great. Suriname has amazing food for similar reasons - mix of European, Creole, Javanese, Indian and Chinese. Trinidadian rotis and doubles are some of the best street food I've ever eaten, washed down with plenty of cold beers at Carnival. But Sri Lanka has the best food I've ever eaten. Everything there is amazing.
    How weird. I had generally terrible food in Sri Lanka. And we tried everywhere. Not just tourist traps. It was so bad we made an extra effort. But no. The best we got was an ok curry with an egg on top

Whereas almost anywhere in India you get great food

However so many people have taken your position I think we were just very unlucky

Fascinating about Surinam. I have yet to find a South American country with good food. Perhaps that is it.

Mexico, bewilderingly, is great
    Why is it bewildering? Mexican is one of the world's great cuisines, if a little salty at times.

Brazilian food is pretty good, and the steaks and pasta in Argentina are of course first class.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

One MSOA in London (Fitzrovia) is showing as 37.5% 1st doses - what on earth is going on there?

Fitzrovia is deserted. There’s no one there

Generally it is inhabited by foreign students (oops), rich foreigners with london cash cow homes (oops) and very rich Londoners who have decamped to their country piles (ah)

There is an element of council and legacy housing and that is the 37%
    As a former Fitzrovia resident (W1W 5NG), I think there's some truth in that. But it also ued to be a fabulous village.
    Charlotte street used to be my favourite urban street in the entire world. Sigh

Let’s hope it bounces back. I love it as you do
    "So she took me back to her basement flat
    Which was down on Charlotte Street"

Lloyd Cole
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    Carnyx said:

Actual LOLing at this

What that copy doesn't show, but better copies do, is the string holding the penguin in place.

https://twitter.com/natlibscot/status/1111320500360437761

Whether this was airbrushed out is a good question.
    Is the penguin stuffed?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I honestly think there are only two plausible outcomes from where we are.

1. The vaccines work so well that hospitalisations and deaths are now well within the tolerable level, that is they are really no worse than umpteen other things we do little to counteract, and so further lockdowns are unwarranted.

2. The vaccines don't work well and we are going to have to go through another substantial wave of infections, hospitalisations, and deaths. Any lockdown can at best delay that wave, so if we can only delay the wave then having it in the summer is better than overlapping it with the flu.

I'm fairly confident that the first case holds, but we should be clear if the vaccines don't work another large wave of infections is unavoidable, for us and any other country. Nobody can keep locking down their country forever.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Leon said:

The most improved UK city has to be Manchester. It was filthy, and dangerous, in the 1990s, edgy as fuck - although the clubbing was world class.

These days it’s a fantastic place. Still has great nightlife but with much better restaurants, and far less sketchiness.

My last memory of Manchester was about 2003. And it was horrible. I should go back then?
    Absolutely. I lived there 2000-1. Never went back till my eldest started Uni there in 2018.
    Utterly unrecognizable.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Actual LOLing at this

What that copy doesn't show, but better copies do, is the string holding the penguin in place.

Is the penguin stuffed?
    Wouldn't have thought so, for good practical reasons. They tended to m ake collapsed skins on the spot for transport home in such situations. Wouldn'tg need the string if it were a mounted penguin, anyway.
  • Options
    Lots of cities have had a face lift..... which major UK one hasn't or has been done so poorly its still a shit hole?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,290
    Manchester is magnificent, it really is.

It is my second home.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

My three

1. Without question: the solovetsky islands of the White Sea. A microclimate. Everything grown there. Cattle that live on salt grass. Dill. Omg. The best fish and chips ever

3. Calabria. The home of nduja. Desperately poor but the local and highly violent mafia recruit the best chefs. Or kidnap them

Ooh. Good call. I’ve heard Taiwanese food is superb. It makes sense. Chinese with money!

The food in Singapore is generally brilliant. Malaysia might have the best cuisine in the world I reckon - an incredible mix of Chinese, Thai and Indian, possibly superior to Vietnam
    Malaysian food is great. Suriname has amazing food for similar reasons - mix of European, Creole, Javanese, Indian and Chinese. Trinidadian rotis and doubles are some of the best street food I've ever eaten, washed down with plenty of cold beers at Carnival. But Sri Lanka has the best food I've ever eaten. Everything there is amazing.
    How weird. I had generally terrible food in Sri Lanka. And we tried everywhere. Not just tourist traps. It was so bad we made an extra effort. But no. The best we got was an ok curry with an egg on top

However so many people have taken your position I think we were just very unlucky

Fascinating about Surinam. I have yet to find a South American country with good food. Perhaps that is it.

Why is it bewildering? Mexican is one of the world's great cuisines, if a little salty at times.

Brazilian food is pretty good, and the steaks and pasta in Argentina are of course first class.
    Bewildering because food throughout Latin America is terrible - and it is, despite the steaks in Buenos Aires - but Mexico has a magnificent and multivarious cuisine. An exception which proves the rule

I don’t know how to explain it. Ok Mexico is massive with much climate variation and an ancient culture. But all this is true of Peru, and Peruvian food is dreadful, despite a couple of trendy restaurants in Lima, and ceviche (which is wildly overrated)

And then there is Cuba. Oh my fucking giddy aunt. Possibly the worst food in the world
  • Options

Lots of cities have had a face lift..... which major UK one hasn't or has been done so poorly its still a shit hole?

Sheffield
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    73m seems cheap for Sancho tbh
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Actual LOLing at this

Is the penguin stuffed?
    Penguin: 'Do you know you're standing on my favourite fishing spot?'
    Piper: 'No, but you hum it and I'll play it'
  • Options
    Also I found Rochester quite depressed considering it is a traditional city
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

73m seems cheap for Sancho tbh

His Dortmund contract expires next year.

So I reckon Dortmund have done well there.

Edit - It runs out in two years, it was extended,
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

That great BRITISH tennis player rolling back the years at the moment....

Murray may well have been rescued by the need to close the roof - for the second time on the bounce. If he does ultimately prevail this time around, however, then I do not fancy his chances against Denis Shapovalov in round three - seeded 10, and didn't even have to play a second round match as his opponent forfeited.

The best chance of a British player making the second week (and, indeed, a quarter-final) is Dan Evans, who has a tricky tie against young Sebastian Korda coming up next but is nonetheless the highest ranked player left in his eighth of the draw. Cameron Norrie ought not to have any trouble disposing of his second round opponent tomorrow, but is drawn to meet Federer after that.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Actual LOLing at this

Is the penguin stuffed?
    Dunno try and ppp pick it up
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Isn't it fine: now can chat about the weather AND our response to the jabs.

Starting with a small pox vaccination by scraping on my arm I have had umpteen jabs over the years with very little effect, although the jab for yellow fever at age 21 did make me a tiny bit feverish. For the covid jab---essentially zilch.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

glw said:

Mind the Gap

And French ones are going to....
    I wonder about the medium impact to many of these decisions to move online without assessing whether pandemic trends will prove semi permanent. My tentative hypothesis would be that if sales have held up during the pandemic then it will largely be down to existing brand reputation and loyalty from an existing customer base (who after all had nowhere else to go, so stuck with the brands they knew). But as they disappear from the high street will they get the customers of the future?

In a way it is a similar dilemma to businesses/organisations switching en masses to home working, without fully understanding that the extent to which things have functioned reasonably during the pandemic is because existing workforces know their jobs, have been operating in existing teams and have largely kept things ticking over - with a significantly lower level of the usual turnover. But whether this is sustainable in the medium term is another question.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Also I found Rochester quite depressed considering it is a traditional city

Town.
  • Options
    Oh my word, Bill Cosby.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    Leon said:

We need to rethink our town centres from scratch. And councils have to accept much lower rents. It is what it is, etc

The worst thing is keeping these streets dark hoping for retail to return. It won’t. We need people places. Pubs, cafes, restaurants, etc, with vastly reduced rents. Tax the internet giants to pay for it
    Why do you imagine that Councils own shops?
  • Options

glw said:

Mind the Gap

Do you think if we'd voted Remain then the internet and Covid wouldn't have seen retail go online?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Well they do, but they are hardly the only ones.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Coventry.
  • Options
    Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    YORKSHIRE POST: I will not quit if we lose poll, says Starmer #TomorrowsPapersToday

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1410343494804180993
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    glw said:

I honestly think there are only two plausible outcomes from where we are.

1. The vaccines work so well that hospitalisations and deaths are now well within the tolerable level, that is they are really no worse than umpteen other things we do little to counteract, and so further lockdowns are unwarranted.

2. The vaccines don't work well and we are going to have to go through another substantial wave of infections, hospitalisations, and deaths. Any lockdown can at best delay that wave, so if we can only delay the wave then having it in the summer is better than overlapping it with the flu.

I'm fairly confident that the first case holds, but we should be clear if the vaccines don't work another large wave of infections is unavoidable, for us and any other country. Nobody can keep locking down their country forever.
    Totally agree,

If 2. is accurate, then tell me a better time than the middle of the summer to have it? lots of Sun and victim D in people body's boosting their immune systems and less demand on the NHS from the 'normal winter flu'
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Brighton.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Rents, rates, you know what I mean
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Coventry.
    You really get a shock with that one if you visit Warwick uni first.....the campus full of modern glass buldings and then you potter into the city and it still looks bombed out.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

"Christ. This is a lot of empty spaces on my high street

The worst thing is keeping these streets dark hoping for retail to return. It won’t. We need people places. Pubs, cafes, restaurants, etc, with vastly reduced rents. Tax the internet giants to pay for it"

Our misuse of the car is ruining aspects of my life. Apart from their contribution to climate change, many Bedford town centre shops are moving to a godawful retail park that is not really accessible by foot or cycle.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

Councils don’t set business rates.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Leon said:

The worst thing is keeping these streets dark hoping for retail to return. It won’t. We need people places. Pubs, cafes, restaurants, etc, with vastly reduced rents. Tax the internet giants to pay for it"

Our misuse of the car is ruining aspects of my life. Apart from their contribution to climate change, many Bedford town centre shops are moving to a godawful retail park that is not really accessible by foot or cycle.

Just as car driving and malls die out. Madness
  • Options
    Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

My three

Bewildering because food throughout Latin America is terrible - and it is, despite the steaks in Buenos Aires - but Mexico has a magnificent and multivarious cuisine. An exception which proves the rule

I don’t know how to explain it. Ok Mexico is massive with much climate variation and an ancient culture. But all this is true of Peru, and Peruvian food is dreadful, despite a couple of trendy restaurants in Lima, and ceviche (which is wildly overrated)

And then there is Cuba. Oh my fucking giddy aunt. Possibly the worst food in the world
    In Colombia ajiaco is a very rich and satisfying soup/stew. Bandeja paisa is like an English breakfast with avocado and rice. The fruit juices are incredible from literally hundreds of different fruits many of which like lulu feijoa and guanavana are rarely seen outside the country.
  • Options
    I told you all there would be a reckoning for the Scottish football team's shameful behaviour over Billy Gilmour's positive test.

Nearly 2,000 Covid cases in Scotland have been linked to people watching Euro 2020 football matches.

Public Health Scotland said two thirds of the 1,991 cases were people who travelled to London for Scotland's game with England on 18 June.

This included 397 fans who were inside Wembley for the match.

A relatively small number of cases reported attending the Fanzone in Glasgow, or Scotland's two home matches at Hampden.

Scotland was only allocated 2,600 tickets for the match at Wembley because of Covid restrictions.

But tens of thousands of fans are believed to have travelled to London despite warnings not to do so unless they had a ticket.

Many gathered together in large groups in central London ahead of the game, with those in Leicester Square being moved on by police shortly after half-time.

The country's national clinical director, Prof Jason Leitch said he was disappointed that 2,000 of the 32,000 cases recorded in Scotland since 11 July had been linked to Euro 2020 events.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57667163
  • Options
    Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

I think buissness rates, if that's what you mean are set by central government, not the councils.

It would not make a huge difference but a step in the right direction would be to allow shops that sell cannabis, like in Colorado and many US states, but better to have a buissness selling it than to buy if from a man in a hoody standing outside a boarded up shop
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Coventry.
    Plymouth.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Toms said:

Leon said:

Just as car driving and malls die out. Madness
    Car driving dying out?

You need to get out of your bubble. Cars are going as strong as they ever have done and for good reason too.
  • Options

Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

My three

In Colombia ajiaco is a very rich and satisfying soup/stew. Bandeja paisa is like an English breakfast with avocado and rice. The fruit juices are incredible from literally hundreds of different fruits many of which like lulu feijoa and guanavana are rarely seen outside the country.
    Just avoid the mondongo which is a sort of tripe and indeed as horrible as any you might find in Lancashire.
  • Options

Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

My three

I've never been to Colombia (would dearly like to go) but one of my favourite travel books EVER is The Fruit Palace

https://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Palace-Charles-Nicholl-author/dp/0099274043

Probably very dated now (travel writing often dates quicker than comedy) but a gorgeous book - and particularly good on the wild variety of tropical fruit in Colombia
  • Options
    Write a horror story for your industry using just four words...

Stack Overflow is gone.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,530
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

My three

Some 15 years ago I was running a course in Upper Burma, and the doctor that I was staying with had an excellent cook. She asked me what I would like, and could cook anything, western, Chinese, Indian, Thai, Burmese etc.

I asked for Burmese as I may never get the chance again. Every day for the fortnight she proudly produced spectacular food, in different regional styles. Shan food was particularly good for breakfast, and many types of river fish and crustaceans from the Irawaddy. She called them all curries, but nothing like curries that I have ever had before. I even developed a taste for the green tea leaf pickle. I tried to bring some back, but it doesn't travel well.

Burma is a lovely country and charming people, just a terrible government.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Coventry.
    Plymouth.
    No. Plymouth is wondrous. One of the great neglected cities of Europe. A kind of English Naples
  • Options

Stack Overflow is gone.

Gordon Brown is Chancellor.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    OMFG they are going to do another release of NYC mayor results today... Without the Absentee Ballots included.

What the fuck is this shit.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:
    Ha! I saw that. Seems to me that she just identifies events that are likely to happen and makes a value bet on timing.

By the way the classified annexe of the Pentagon report was reportedly accompanied by about 15 videos, described by an attributed source as “like watching sci fi”. Will be interesting to see what reactions we get from senators in coming weeks and months.

Romney said without irony along the lines of “well I do find it hard to believe they’re from outer space but I can sure as hell tell ya they’re not Russian or Chinese!…2 trillion galaxies hmmm yes I’d be very interested if they came from there. But really we have so much more to worry about with global warming and the debt than spending time looking at ufos’”.

I suspect there’s a lot of senior politicians who are not used to spending any time thinking beyond their next fundraiser. They’ve suddenly been presented with a bunch of extraordinary evidence that taken in the round leads to only one logical endpoint. And they don’t know what to think or say about. “Mmmm yes seems UFO’s might be real. But who cares, we gotta keep an eye on that deficit!”
    "Like watching Sci-Fi" is about right though. How easy is it to fake stuff these days to get funding...
    Not very. Surely that’s the flaw in your argument? A few grainy satellite photos of a Chinese missile silo or hangar would do the job if you wanted more funding. You don’t need to construct a bizarre bipartisan conspiracy about ultra tech ufo’s.
    The problem I have is my life long interest in Fortean things, including UFO's. We have gone from the time where a camera needed film to be developed, and it was acceptable to just have one blurry photo of a phenomenon because of the technology. Now across the planet are billions of digital cameras which can take thousands of shots and yet the evidence is just not coming. I've watched some of the videos that you are interested in and I'm not impressed. I've followed previous cases where in it is alleged that visual sightings are backed by radar and so on, and none of them are convincing either. Why are they not releasing these high quality videos? If they are so convincing lets see them.

I think you want this to be true, and so are invested in believing. Fine. I'd love it to be true too, just as I'd love ghosts to be real, and the lock ness monster to be a 66 million year old survivor species, and bigfoot/sasquatch to be roaming the north American woods etc etc etc. As the years go on the evidence gets less and less.
    FPT
    No I quite desperately hope to be wrong about this. Hard to see what good can come of it and easy to see the bad. But I don’t let that cloud my judgement and pretend it away.

Cameras - go and take a photo of a plane in the sky with your iPhone and see how good the picture is.

Radar and flight telemetrics that match FLIR pod and multiple eye witness is compelling evidence. The US military is protective of its sources and methods which is why essentially the whole report was classified and why we’ve not seen the satellite imagery confirmed as existing by an ex US cabinet member.

There will be some foreign drones and radar reflectors mixed in the total. But there’s a subset that make no sense without thinking exotic. As the report spelled out perfectly plainly.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Coventry.
    Plymouth.
    Portsmouth.
  • Options

Stack Overflow is gone.

The World is saved
  • Options
    Alistair said:

OMFG they are going to do another release of NYC mayor results today... Without the Absentee Ballots included.

They don't understand AV.

They need someone to do an explainer for them.
  • Options

Stack Overflow is gone.

For any creatives..."GPT3 is now online".....

Throws hand grenade and runs away.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Stack Overflow is gone.

Boris Johnson is PM.

Because you know we're ranked lower than fish.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    IanB2 said:

Behr:

Even to an attentive audience, Starmer has nothing memorable to say. His unofficial campaign slogan was “unity in ambiguity”. He criticised the 2019 manifesto for offering too much policy, but would not say which parts should have been discarded.

Starmer’s popularity ratings have taken a knock since the end of last year, but he still has more prime ministerial bearing than anyone else on the Labour frontbench. And there are always available fantasies of a sudden change in the political weather.

[But] Labour unity is not a principle that means anything to most of the public. And its value decays to nothing when there is confusion over what everyone is supposed to unite around.

The likely trajectory is a purgatory of semi-loyalty, with disappointed MPs complaining about the direction but not offering any alternatives. And without such a battle, Starmer seems condemned to be voiceless. Unless some crisis comes along that forces him to say aloud what he really believes, it isn’t clear how else we are supposed to know.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/29/labour-keir-starmer-party-unity

This is right. Given the immensity of the change involved in Brexit, threat to the Union, debt and public finances, climate, Russia, China, Trumpism and all the rest it has been vital for some time that Labour present a clear and coherent set of policies undergirded by a general vision of our place in the world and our morality as a nation.

While less than adequate only the Tories are remotely engaged with this. I have no idea where Labour stands on any of the real or indeed the trivial retail issues. This failure is becoming clearer. If they lose B&S (and it would be good if they scraped home by a nose) questions become inescapable.

Labour is a moral crusade or it is nothing.

• Options
    Another @TheSun belter…

YOB LOSES JOB: Chris Whitty attack yob sacked from his job as an estate agent

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15448426/chris-whitty-attack-yob-loses-job/
  • Options

Johnsons oven ready deal
  • Options
    Alistair said:

My understanding is, that when they added the absentee ballots, they tolled the macheen to add up all the ballots that have been though you. and the macheens did as they where tolled

and they included the 130,000 test ballots that had been put though right at the start.

only noticed when the totals given where much more than the number of ballots there should have been.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited June 2021

Stack Overflow is gone.

EMP disables all computers.

To be fair, a horror story for everybody, really. Maybe more realistic...

Model economy through pandemic
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298

Another straw in the wind to make of what you will: Labour has now spoken to EVERY Batley and Spen voter for whom we have phone numbers. I resumed phoning this evening and after a few (including 2 don't-know to Labour switchers, yay) I got the message that everyone had now been called.

This has to be a lot more than the Galloway effort. I think it's now really come down to a Tory-Labour battle and Galloway is marginalised.

Can you fill us in on how Labour campaign managers believe Labour will fare tomorrow? I was intrigued by Mike's final paragraph in the header. Can Labour realistically hold this seat?

Maybe GG would be more likely to beat 7%, denting Labour something rotten, had Anne Marie Waters of For Britain put up more of a showing, helped by her pal Tommy Robinson, and had Muslim voters in the constituency considered themselves to be under threat rather than incensed by SKS's not being good on Palestine. Good for almost everyone not on the extreme right (or GG) that this hasn't happened. Could Friday's news be "damp squib; no big swings from anyone to anyone else; Labour hold"?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Another @TheSun belter…

He's from Essex and an estate agent.

Can you get any lower?
  • Options
    On the tennis football discussion from earlier.
    They've just revealed Murray has covered 6,2 km so far.
    So not a patch on your average midfielder.
    And over a much longer timescale.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    dixiedean said:

But tennis is side to side shuttle runs at basically max pace. A lot of football is medium intensity runs / jogs.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242

Stack Overflow is gone.

Finest Chancellor of your lifetime.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    edited June 2021

Stack Overflow is gone.

Astronauts discover glass ceiling.

( ... :) )
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Scott_xP said:

Another @TheSun belter…

He's from Essex and an estate agent.

Can you get any lower?
    Liverpool and on the dole.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Stack Overflow is gone.

Four more weeks lockdown.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,025
    Scott_xP said:

Another @TheSun belter…

"I feel very let down by Boris, for him to call me a thug. I actually voted for him as well."

:lol:
  • Options
    Another German dispatched....
  • Options

dixiedean said:

But tennis is side to side shuttle runs at basically max pace.
    Yeah the distance footballers have to cover isn't huge. Neither is the tennis players distance - but the tennis yards are definitely harder than the footie yards.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

Behr:

Even to an attentive audience, Starmer has nothing memorable to say. His unofficial campaign slogan was “unity in ambiguity”. He criticised the 2019 manifesto for offering too much policy, but would not say which parts should have been discarded.

Starmer’s popularity ratings have taken a knock since the end of last year, but he still has more prime ministerial bearing than anyone else on the Labour frontbench. And there are always available fantasies of a sudden change in the political weather.

[But] Labour unity is not a principle that means anything to most of the public. And its value decays to nothing when there is confusion over what everyone is supposed to unite around.

The likely trajectory is a purgatory of semi-loyalty, with disappointed MPs complaining about the direction but not offering any alternatives. And without such a battle, Starmer seems condemned to be voiceless. Unless some crisis comes along that forces him to say aloud what he really believes, it isn’t clear how else we are supposed to know.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/29/labour-keir-starmer-party-unity

This is right. Given the immensity of the change involved in Brexit, threat to the Union, debt and public finances, climate, Russia, China, Trumpism and all the rest it has been vital for some time that Labour present a clear and coherent set of policies undergirded by a general vision of our place in the world and our morality as a nation.

While less than adequate only the Tories are remotely engaged with this. I have no idea where Labour stands on any of the real or indeed the trivial retail issues. This failure is becoming clearer. If they lose B&S (and it would be good if they scraped home by a nose) questions become inescapable.

Labour is a moral crusade or it is nothing.

Their cheerleaders seem to say variations of “Of course I hope this doesn’t happen… but the government would be in real trouble if interest rates go up/the vaccines don’t work/ etc etc” and this is probably because the main thing Sir Keir emanates is a feeling of kind of hanging around, hoping things go wrong so he can pick up the pieces
  • Options

Stack Overflow is gone.

Finest Chancellor of your lifetime.
    Nonsense, he's the worst Chancellor of my lifetime.

Best chancellors starting from the top

Clarke
    Osborne
    Howe
    Lawson
    Lamont
    Darling
    Brown

His changes to the regulatory framework for banks and the financial services sector led to the first run on banks in centuries and left us really badly placed for the GFC
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

This tweet has gone viral. Indicating it might be true. But is it?

‘As someone who lives there, the rate in which Glasgow is deteriorating is unbelievable. Turning into an absolute dump.’

https://twitter.com/ryancapperauld/status/1410162083635863556?s=21

I remember Glasgow as being surprisingly handsome, despite its satanic climate. Rugged, impressive Victorian buildings. Sad if that’s changed

As someone who lived in Glasgow for 15 years before moving away 9 years ago that seems like a load of shite?

When I lived in Glasgow Finnieston was a patch of waste ground you hurried through avoiding eye contact as you made your way to the SECC.

Now it is so achingly hipsterised and gentrified it has a fucking Avocado Restraunt. Yes, that is what you think it is.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Stack Overflow is gone.

All the favourites obliged
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Yeah the distance footballers have to cover isn't huge. Neither is the tennis players distance - but the tennis yards are definitely harder than the footie yards.
    Football is more endurance while tennis is more HIIT surely?
  • Options
    An NHS London source - the new health secretary is giving "unnecessarily tough" scrutiny to the data models being provided by SAGE and other advisory bodies. He expects that Javid will ram through full reopening on July 19th regardless of the numbers and expect the NHS to "just cope" with whatever happens.

He's not a happy bunny.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Asteroid on collision course?

• Options

Scott_xP said:

Another @TheSun belter…

"I feel very let down by Boris, for him to call me a thug. I actually voted for him as well."

That's a big price he's paid, losing his job. I think everyone should move on from the incident now.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

An NHS London source - the new health secretary is giving "unnecessarily tough" scrutiny to the data models being provided by SAGE and other advisory bodies. He expects that Javid will ram through full reopening on July 19th regardless of the numbers and expect the NHS to "just cope" with whatever happens.

He's not a happy bunny.

The anonymous negative briefings will be incoming....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

He's not a happy bunny.

🔴Exclusive: Almost 50 Conservative MPs have told Boris Johnson that schools must return to normal from July 19, as they called for an end to “unnecessary disruption”
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/30/exclusive-schools-must-return-normal-july-19-tory-mps-warn-boris/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1625085738
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

glw said:

Mind the Gap

Gap sells staple pieces. They don’t need expensive real estate.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

My three

I've never been to Colombia (would dearly like to go) but one of my favourite travel books EVER is The Fruit Palace

https://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Palace-Charles-Nicholl-author/dp/0099274043

Probably very dated now (travel writing often dates quicker than comedy) but a gorgeous book - and particularly good on the wild variety of tropical fruit in Colombia
    It is a beautiful country and lovely people. But not a good time to go right now. The police have been killing dozens of peaceful protesters and vigilante gangs killing with impunity. The president is a puppet of ex presideny Uribe and the regime makes Pinochet look like a saint.
    It is not so long ago that i remember visiting Colombia and seeing the incessant groups of broken refugees fleeing Venezuela when Corbyn and his cronies held it up as an example of successful socialism.
    Well those of us on the right of the spectrum who may have mocked this naivety are now sickened by the cruelty of the right wing regime in Colombia which in many ways is much worse.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,226
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

He's not a happy bunny.

I hadn't realised "unnecessarily tough" was a synonym for "some".
    Have you any experience of the civil service?

They seem to regard questioning the briefing documents they give the politicians as "answering back"
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Football is more endurance while tennis is more HIIT surely?
    11 kilometres in 120 minutes isn't really an endurance effort for professional sports people in their 20s and 30s. They'd all likely be able to do 10k in about 40 minutes - it's the fuelling and rehydration that's gone wrong if they're cramping up; they'd need to take on the fuel at half time for it to be effective in extra time...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

MaxPB said:

He's not a happy bunny.

🔴Exclusive: Almost 50 Conservative MPs have told Boris Johnson that schools must return to normal from July 19, as they called for an end to “unnecessary disruption”
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/30/exclusive-schools-must-return-normal-july-19-tory-mps-warn-boris/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1625085738
    What does "unnecessarily tough" mean?

He's actually asking some questions. Like, why are all your assumptions on parameters like vaccine uptake completely wrong and out of date?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,065
    Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

My three

How odd. I don't think I've ever eaten anything in Sri Lanka I haven't enjoyed. There are some decent Sri Lankan restaurants in London too - Kolomba in Soho is quite posh and trendy but the food is great. At the other extreme Jaffna House in Tooting looks very down at heel but the food is amazing, and cheap too.
    I've made myself really hungry now just thinking about it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

MaxPB said:

He's not a happy bunny.

Won't they be returning to normal by, erm,.closing for 6 weeks on July 19?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

He's not a happy bunny.

‘Bout feckin’ time the models got some hard scrutiny.
    I did try and explain that the NHS is there to serve the people, not the other way around. He looked pretty incredulous when I suggested it. He's a good friend but at the same time very prone to public healthist group think. At one point tonight he was arguing for raising the drinking age to 21 temporarily even though we went to school together and definitely started drinking at 15 or 16.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

Another @TheSun belter…

That's a big price he's paid, losing his job. I think everyone should move on from the incident now.
    I just watched the vid for the first time - annoying drunken pricks, but they weren’t violent or threatening were they? It would be intimidating I guess, but to get sacked is indeed a big price to pay
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

MaxPB said:

He's not a happy bunny.

What? Must return to normal summer holiday? 😎
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    When are we expecting the social media rumour about the senior cabinet minister to break?
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    BigRich said:

How many of the cases we're picking up are asymptomatic?

As its mostly in young people and a very large propotion of the cases are Asyptomatic.

The the UKs mass testing in schools collages and University's. is probably a big factor in the number of cases.
    Yes, that will skew things enormously. But is there not a good estimate of the number of current cases in the country, whether tested or not? Surely there must be. There must be a capability for getting a good estimate of that number (and an assessment of distribution geographically and demographically) for biowar defence reasons as well as health provision in peacetime. I wonder what the CFR for delta is when "C" is estimated like that, rather than obtained with false precision by totting up positive test results. "Confirmed cases" isn't such a useful statistic really.
This discussion has been closed.