Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Thirteen months ago the CON poll lead dropped upto 17 points after the Cummings Barnard Castle revel

Comments

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    BigRich said:

ydoethur said:

NEW: Number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 in Moscow reaches record-high, deputy mayor says. Exact figure not disclosed - TASS

Is that a reflection on their vaccine programme or their vaccine?
    Very few are vaccinated in Russia. Technically their vaccine is fine, but there have been reports that the QA has been poor from some Eastern European countries who bought it.
    There is also an issue of trust in the Government of Russia, by it's citizens
    My Russia mole reckoned another factor is that the place is really, really big, with a handful of modern cities and an awful lot of nothing and nowheresville in between.
    I assumed the relatively low vaccination rate in Russia at the moment was at least impart down to exporting a lot of there Vaccines, to make money and or friends. but could be wrong.
    My mole got his jab(s?) at a walk-in vaccination centre in Moscow. It sounds like a demand problem in cities and possibly a supply problem in the sticks. I've not really looked into it but am just passing on observations from someone who was there.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

Hugely relieved to see @DavidL posting again today. Thanks for letting us know David, and well done for seeking medical advice!

Good to see that, had been wondering (and worrying). is 54 a record for likes?
    No, JohnO has the record with 60 likes recently, when he told us all he was better after his cardiac arrest.
    We set the standard pretty high for mass approbation.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    darkage said:

My gut instinct here is that Hancock will stay. People accept the mafia rule that we have because they get things done and there is no alternative. Johnson will just try and weather the storm. The MP's can try and rebel and suffer the same fate as the brexit rebels.
    Nicola Sturgeon was caught without a mask at a funeral and sat out the furore.

I think you are right, Johnson had a chose to make first thing this morning, sack him then and look decisive (if vishuse) or let it blow over, if he sacs him now, then Johnson looks week, looks like he is 'giving in' to labour demands.

If Johnson sacks him 'for' the having an affair he will look so hypocritical its silly.

If Johnson sacks him for being rubbish at his job, then that implies the whole response to the pandemic has been rubbish.

If he sacks him for braking social distancing, it also sets a president, n what if a phot emerges of another cabinet minister shaking hands at a meeting, or hugging there mother at a funeral?

I don't think he will go, not this week.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864

stodge said:

In London, another big push on vaccinations this weekend:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/where-can-get-walk-in-vaccine-london-booking-this-month-b942374.html

Unfortunately, nothing in East London. This is outrageous - the queues last weekend at Stratford suggested there was plenty of demand yet this weekend there's nothing over my side of town.

100,000 adults over 30 in Newham have yet to be vaccinated - irrespective of whether they have been "invited" or not, it seems the NHS, Government and the Councils are just giving up on them.

My two pop-ups are in the London Borough of Redbridge which is Newham-adjacent. They are not on the Standard's list (unless they were behind a pop-up advert).
    Redbridge is doing rather better than Newham.

150,500 adults over 30 with first vaccinations out of a population estimated by NIMS at 214,320.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488

ydoethur said:

When Wales beats Denmark tomorrow, and England lose to Germany, with Kane misfiring again, on Tuesday the narrative will be football and then the B&S election will make the headlines

Hancock may get away it it but that does not excuse the fact he should have resigned/ been sacked

Blimey. There’s optimism for you.

The is issue is, if you fired every dodgy minister in Johnson’s government, there would hardly be anyone left. Possibly Sunak, Wallace, Hart, and perhaps Buckland and Truss on a good day. Even among the junior ministers there would be carnage.
    Typical arrogance of the Welsh.

It is why Welsh rugby fans are hated across the world.
    Is there another example of arrogant sports fans being hated across the world?

*entirely un-innocent face*
    Scottish fans.

Before my time but I believe at the 1978 World Cup Scotland's manager said they'd be coming home with a medal.

Sevco fans are known for their arrogance I believe.

As a fan of the English association football & rugby football union teams and Liverpool FC, we are synonymous with legendary humility.
    Scottish football fans hated across the world, good one!

You could say Sevco fans are the only truly British football fan..
    Scotland football fans have earwormed me with 'Yes Sir I Can Boogie' which means they are currently hated by me.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    Roger said:

Anyone watching Ch4 News would bet the house on Hancock going. Probably tonight. It's a firing squad

The problem is *if* Johnson has a similar skeleton in a similarly socially undistanced cupboard, and should it come to light, he would surely be obliged to go too. And Johnson being Johnson, that is not beyond the realms of probability.

Can I hear the sound of distant violins?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited June 2021
    BigRich said:

darkage said:

My gut instinct here is that Hancock will stay. People accept the mafia rule that we have because they get things done and there is no alternative. Johnson will just try and weather the storm. The MP's can try and rebel and suffer the same fate as the brexit rebels.

I think you are right, Johnson had a chose to make first thing this morning, sack him then and look decisive (if vishuse) or let it blow over, if he sacs him now, then Johnson looks week, looks like he is 'giving in' to labour demands.

If Johnson sacks him 'for' the having an affair he will look so hypocritical its silly.

If Johnson sacks him for being rubbish at his job, then that implies the whole response to the pandemic has been rubbish.

If he sacks him for braking social distancing, it also sets a president, n what if a phot emerges of another cabinet minister shaking hands at a meeting, or hugging there mother at a funeral?

I agree, he’s safe for today/this weekend.

The press won’t give up, though.

I expect he’ll make it through to a fairly imminent full/partial reshuffle.

It’s overdue.

Btw, Truss’s performance today was laughable. She came out to bat for him before being directly contradicted by Hancock.

Smarter, ambitious Tory MP’s have long figured out the game. Don’t go into bat for this lot, you’ll only end up looking like an arse.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    justin124 said:

Omnium said:

If Boris sacked him today, would be done and dusted by Monday. Instead the media will drag it out for weeks.

However Johnson's claim on Wednesday that Labour are jabbering whilst the Conservatives are jabbing should be rammed down the public's throat this weekend. If the Government does that Hancock's tryst will go away, and Galloway has already won B and S for his boy Johnson, so moving on...
    Yes, Galloway is coming across as a Tory glove puppet.
    More a glove-puppet of the left. The Tories really don't care about B&S in the big scheme of things. The main idea is that Starmer is undermined again.

Should B&S go Tory though I've no doubt it'll get a little light shone on its causes.
    Galloway is an ogre , but - if Labour lose B&S -Starmer will still rightly be blamed for having held the by election at this time.
    Btw, what is with the whole 'its the timing' developing as something to blame. When exactly was possible and better? Genuinely, I don't know how this argument is being constructed.

Scheduling it 10 days after unlockdown failed to happen, which was already becoming foreseeable, didn't seem like such a terrible idea to me. I suspect a bit of Captain Hindsightery is being deployed against SKS here.
  • Options
    ping said:

BigRich said:

darkage said:

It’s overdue.
    If we are lucky, perhaps they will fully open England on the 5 July, at which point he can say, he sore the pandemic though to the end, declare themselves successful and then shortly after announce he needs to take some time off work, to spend with his own family and rest.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/where-can-get-walk-in-vaccine-london-booking-this-month-b942374.html

Unfortunately, nothing in East London. This is outrageous - the queues last weekend at Stratford suggested there was plenty of demand yet this weekend there's nothing over my side of town.

100,000 adults over 30 in Newham have yet to be vaccinated - irrespective of whether they have been "invited" or not, it seems the NHS, Government and the Councils are just giving up on them.

My two pop-ups are in the London Borough of Redbridge which is Newham-adjacent. They are not on the Standard's list (unless they were behind a pop-up advert).

150,500 adults over 30 with first vaccinations out of a population estimated by NIMS at 214,320.
    Just wondering for anybody with access to NIMS data, what are the latest % of the youngest age groups have had the first jab?

18-19
    20-24
    25-29
  • Options

Politicians holding their nerve.

Despite significant push-back because of Delta in the UK, Guernsey is fully opening its border to the CTA fully vaccinated (two doses + 14 days) from July 1 with no testing on arrival or quarantine requirements.

The singly or un-vaccinated will still require testing/quarantine until negative, plus follow up.

Expectation is that infections will rise, but because the vulnerable are now vaccinated and those who are not will not get seriously ill, the (only) hospital will cope and we're just going to have to learn to live with this thing.

To note there are NO NPI's in place (face masks, social distancing, logging in to venues, attendance size limitations) - they have all been comletely at the border since March.

Wish us luck!

I'm sure it will be fine, but good luck anyway.

We should be doing the same here.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited June 2021

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I’ll tell you what hasn’t been mentioned today. Hancock went to Cambridge. Says it all really.

Oh, that was post-grad - he has a foot in both camps. Definitely the worst kind! :lol:
    He saw what a dump Oxford was and wanted to do his post grad at Cambridge, which is what Stephen Hawking did, and he was a pretty clever chap.
    Another one who had an affair! Not loyal to Oxford and not faithful to their wives.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    https://twitter.com/munyachawawa/status/1408453493053067268

I think he's had enough Shaggy personally.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Just wondering for anybody with access to NIMS data, what are the latest % of the youngest age groups have had the first jab?

18-19
    20-24
    25-29
    For England, the 25-29 figures as follows:

Number of first vaccinations - 2,005,617
    Estimated population: 4,415,064

That's 45.3%.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    edited June 2021

Fenman said:

What's Hancock got on Johnson?

Precedent? Why is Hancock's paramour different from any that Boris had in office?
    The reaction to these things is always far too OTT . Shagger Hancock.is likely to survive. Remind me where the Tories are in the polls and what the effect of Mandleson resigning twice......
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I’ll tell you what hasn’t been mentioned today. Hancock went to Cambridge. Says it all really.

Oh, that was post-grad - he has a foot in both camps. Definitely the worst kind! :lol:
    He saw what a dump Oxford was and wanted to do his post grad at Cambridge, which is what Stephen Hawking did, and he was a pretty clever chap.
    Another one who had an affair! Not loyal to Oxford and not faithful to their wives.
    Monogamy is too cruel a rule.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    ping said:

BigRich said:

darkage said:

It’s overdue.

Btw, Truss’s performance today was laughable. She came out to bat for him before being directly contradicted by Hancock.

Smarter, ambitious Tory MP’s have long figured out the game. Don’t go into bat for this lot, you’ll only end up looking like an arse.
    Wasn't that the complaint about David Cameron? Loyal backbenchers and even ministers would go on the airwaves to support some controversial proposal, only to have the rug pulled out from under them once Number 10 saw the focus group results.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Fenman said:

Precedent? Why is Hancock's paramour different from any that Boris had in office?
    The reaction to these things is always far too OTT . Shagger Hancock.is likely to survive. Remind me where the Tories are in the polls and what the effect of Mandleson resigning twice......
    ...and remember how vociferous.. inc me... the P B Tories ... were about it...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

ydoethur said:

When Wales beats Denmark tomorrow, and England lose to Germany, with Kane misfiring again, on Tuesday the narrative will be football and then the B&S election will make the headlines

Hancock may get away it it but that does not excuse the fact he should have resigned/ been sacked

Blimey. There’s optimism for you.

The is issue is, if you fired every dodgy minister in Johnson’s government, there would hardly be anyone left. Possibly Sunak, Wallace, Hart, and perhaps Buckland and Truss on a good day. Even among the junior ministers there would be carnage.
    Typical arrogance of the Welsh.

It is why Welsh rugby fans are hated across the world.
    Is there another example of arrogant sports fans being hated across the world?

*entirely un-innocent face*
    Scottish fans.

Before my time but I believe at the 1978 World Cup Scotland's manager said they'd be coming home with a medal.

Sevco fans are known for their arrogance I believe.

As a fan of the English association football & rugby football union teams and Liverpool FC, we are synonymous with legendary humility.
    Scottish football fans hated across the world, good one!

You could say Sevco fans are the only truly British football fan..
    Scotland football fans have earwormed me with 'Yes Sir I Can Boogie' which means they are currently hated by me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5vSYWPyJzE

:innocent:
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,731
    BigRich said:

Politicians holding their nerve.

Despite significant push-back because of Delta in the UK, Guernsey is fully opening its border to the CTA fully vaccinated (two doses + 14 days) from July 1 with no testing on arrival or quarantine requirements.

The singly or un-vaccinated will still require testing/quarantine until negative, plus follow up.

Expectation is that infections will rise, but because the vulnerable are now vaccinated and those who are not will not get seriously ill, the (only) hospital will cope and we're just going to have to learn to live with this thing.

To note there are NO NPI's in place (face masks, social distancing, logging in to venues, attendance size limitations) - they have all been comletely at the border since March.

Wish us luck!

I'm sure it will be fine, but good luck anyway.

We should be doing the same here.
    The push back was "wait another 4 weeks" - but what they're concerned about is this winter's flu outbreak - we didn't have one last winter - so we don't know what to expect this, and people are going to get sick & die of COVID and flu - and are currently suffering because of the travel restrictions.

Interestingly for the first time in this pandemic the Medics/epidemiologists were unanimous in recommending the course of action the politicians agreed to.
  • Options
    stodge said:

BigRich said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

18-19
    20-24
    25-29

That's 45.3%.
    Thanks, bit worryingly low, but I suppose they are still doing the age group.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited June 2021
    ….
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    BigRich said:

stodge said:

BigRich said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

18-19
    20-24
    25-29

That's 45.3%.
    Thanks, bit worryingly low, but I suppose they are still doing the age group.
    Unsurprising enthusiasm wains when the personal risk is so negligible, and the government doesn't hold up its end of the bargain on unlocking.
  • Options

Oh...

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    39m
    Hancock’s mistresses brother got Government contracts…
    My god it gets worse.

#SackHancock

Hancock's own sister's company got a contract. A company in which Matt Hancock himself is a shareholder. But don't worry. The government has already investigated and cleared Hancock.

The potential for corruption in awarding no-bid contracts, as well as employing mates as non-executive directors to get round the SpAd rules (themselves not very arduous) might one day bring the government down, though it's more likely to be a 4-page centrefold special in Private Eye before everyone moves on.
    Wasn't his sister's company in Wales where the NHS is run by that living God Mark Drakeford, as PBers know everything he does is brilliant.
    And they do document shredding - hardly under the influence of a health secretary. That was nonsense - today he should resign. Firstly he is having an affair with his aide - completely inappropriate and unacceptable. Against the ministerial code. And he has not followed the guidance where we rely on each other for it to succeed. I don't think he is as useless as some on here but he is hardly worth keeping. He should have been called forth and despatched first thing this morning before anyone else had the chance to call for his resignation.
    Any good CEO works hard to keep his non-executives on side…
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Roger said:

Anyone watching Ch4 News would bet the house on Hancock going. Probably tonight. It's a firing squad

The problem is *if* Johnson has a similar skeleton in a similarly socially undistanced cupboard, and should it come to light, he would surely be obliged to go too. And Johnson being Johnson, that is not beyond the realms of probability.

I'd be surprised is Boris hasn't been cheating on Carrie.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Fenman said:

Of course, Hancock will survive.

It is remarkable that so many on pb.com have been so completely faithful in all their relationships, and so scrupulous in maintaining social distancing, that we can round up such a large posse of solid pb-ers to lynch Hancock.

(I defended Margaret Ferrier & Dominic Cummings as well).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

eek said:

I've spent far too much time and money in the Oliver Bonas in Manchester Piccadilly railway station.

Killing time while waiting for a train I can understand but buying what exactly?
    Dresses and body glitter mostly.

I had a wife and girlfriend (not concurrently) who love shopping in there, and it was a case 'If you're there get me X and anything you think looks good on me.
    What would have happened if you came back with nothing, and simply ‘that’s what you look best in?’
    I always came back with something.
    Herpes doesn’t count
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178

If Matt Hancock could resign around 1pm on Sunday that would be great, I've got some awesome headlines and puns ready.

The way things have gone for you in the past, he'll resign at 2pm
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,731
    I'm not sure "doing rUK a favour" was what Sturgeon had in mind....

Scotland is now the UK's Covid hotspot and the proportion of the population with the virus is double the rate in England and four times higher than Wales.

Yet Scotland is the only part of the UK to currently have travel restrictions on another part.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Blackley/status/1408388746962219009?s=20
  • Options

Roger said:

Aaah Rogerdamus confirms that he is going to.stay...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Hugely relieved to see @DavidL posting again today. Thanks for letting us know David, and well done for seeking medical advice!

Fantastic news - was worried.

What was the update?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    I think Hancock has ended any risk of restrictions not ending on 19/07.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Fenman said:

It is remarkable that so many on pb.com have been so completely faithful in all their relationships, and so scrupulous in maintaining social distancing, that we can round up such a large posse of solid pb-ers to lynch Hancock.

Most of us, you'll note, have been neither setting the rules nor encouraging others to follow them, with menaces.
    Most of us are currently chafing under rules which are at best seriously inconveniencing us, but largely doing what we're told anyway.
    Most of us weren't responsible for sitting on data that could have freed us last week.

I had some small sympathy for Dom. I have none whatsoever for Hancock.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Fenman said:

Shagger PM in defends Shagger Health Sec. shock!
  • Options
    glw said:

Roger said:

I know someone who cheated on the day of his wedding with the brides best female...friend... nothing is impossible..
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,987
    Charles said:

Mortimer said:

What was the update?
    This
    DavidL said:

I am pleased to report that tales of my demise are somewhat exaggerated.
    I took the advice on here last night and called 999. I spent a somewhat uncomfortable night but feel somewhat better today. Still waiting for a scan but it looks like a blood clot.
    Thanks very much for the concern, it was much appreciated.

• Options
    BoJo has stuck with his man like he stuck with Cummings. I thought in both cases he was wrong. This is the sort of thing that gets remembered.

Boris is oddly loyal to his people - you can add Stanley and Jo - even those, perhaps especially those, who treat him badly in return.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,489
    ping said:

BigRich said:

darkage said:

It’s overdue.

But that's part of the game, I reckon.

First, keeping ministers on when the really should resign is now part of the game. It's a good way to remind the plebs that Bozza is World God. Don't like it? Well, you can always vote for (stifled giggle)... Starmer... in (guffaw) 2024!

Second, humiliation of ministers is a long-established part of the game. Ambitious politicians have always gone into bat to defend the indefensible to earn Brownie Points with the boss. This boss gives them so many opportunities to do that, and clearly values personal loyalty above all.

And as long as Conservative-inclined voters cluck and mutter but continue to vote for this shower, Johnson and co will continue doing it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

glw said:

Roger said:

I know someone who cheated on the day of his wedding with the brides best female...friend... nothing is impossible..
    Doesn't sound like a marriage built to last....
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited June 2021
    Pro_Rata said:

justin124 said:

Omnium said:

If Boris sacked him today, would be done and dusted by Monday. Instead the media will drag it out for weeks.

However Johnson's claim on Wednesday that Labour are jabbering whilst the Conservatives are jabbing should be rammed down the public's throat this weekend. If the Government does that Hancock's tryst will go away, and Galloway has already won B and S for his boy Johnson, so moving on...
    More a glove-puppet of the left. The Tories really don't care about B&S in the big scheme of things. The main idea is that Starmer is undermined again.

Should B&S go Tory though I've no doubt it'll get a little light shone on its causes.
    Galloway is an ogre , but - if Labour lose B&S -Starmer will still rightly be blamed for having held the by election at this time.
    Btw, what is with the whole 'its the timing' developing as something to blame. When exactly was possible and better? Genuinely, I don't know how this argument is being constructed.

Scheduling it 10 days after unlockdown failed to happen, which was already becoming foreseeable, didn't seem like such a terrible idea to me. I suspect a bit of Captain Hindsightery is being deployed against SKS here.
    Not at all. Following the self-inflicted wound he inflicted on his party at Hartlepool, Starmer should have delayed B&S until early October - by which time Johnson's vaccine bounce is likely to have faded in the context of some return to normal party politics. I made this point when the writ was moved - soo little hindsight is involved
  • Options
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/vaccinated-people-account-for-half-of-new-covid-19-delta-cases-in-israeli-outbreak-11624624326

If accurate this is a bit worrying,

Delta has now got to Israel, No surprise there it was going to eventually

It is spreading, No surprise, as it has toped out at about 63% of population vaccinated,

Allegedly, half of all new positive tests are in people vaccinated, That's a surprise and bad is accurate.

I say allegedly, because exact numbers are not given. and it doesn't mesh with other data, so may be some hyperbaly or exaggeration but still worrying.

Do we need to panic about Israel? not yet, its still small numbers, and the vaccine probably means the cases will be less severe.

What is Israel doing? they have reimpose some restrictions and are have started vaccinating children down to 12
  • Options

Perhaps this whole Hancock business is just a government ruse to get us all back in the office.

"See what you are missing - none of that sort of action when you WFH!"

LOL
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    BigRich said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/vaccinated-people-account-for-half-of-new-covid-19-delta-cases-in-israeli-outbreak-11624624326

It is spreading, No surprise, as it has toped out at about 63% of population vaccinated,

Allegedly, half of all new positive tests are in people vaccinated, That's a surprise and bad is accurate.

I say allegedly, because exact numbers are not given. and it doesn't mesh with other data, so may be some hyperbaly or exaggeration but still worrying.

Do we need to panic about Israel? not yet, its still small numbers, and the vaccine probably means the cases will be less severe.

What is Israel doing? they have reimpose some restrictions and are have started vaccinating children down to 12

Not a problem if the vaccines largely stop people getting seriously ill. But not great for anti-vaxxers if it is being spread by the vaccinated.
  • Options
    May well be the best though!
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Asymptomatic infection among the vaccinated doesn't matter.
  • Options
    eek said:

Charles said:

Mortimer said:

What was the update?
    This
    DavidL said:

I took the advice on here last night and called 999. I spent a somewhat uncomfortable night but feel somewhat better today. Still waiting for a scan but it looks like a blood clot.

Thx
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Cookie said:

Fenman said:

Most of us, you'll note, have been neither setting the rules nor encouraging others to follow them, with menaces.
    Most of us are currently chafing under rules which are at best seriously inconveniencing us, but largely doing what we're told anyway.
    Most of us weren't responsible for sitting on data that could have freed us last week.

I had some small sympathy for Dom. I have none whatsoever for Hancock.
    The rules would be the same with or without Hancock.

He is just a whipping boy.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    BigRich said:

I wouldn't worry about Israel. We've had a Hell of a lot more Delta cases than they have and it's not causing serious trouble in terms of hospitalisations and deaths.

Here's some news I posted earlier, concerning the latest ONS survey returns for cases in the UK:

The biggest increase in positive tests was found in older teenagers and younger adults - those aged 17-24. This group is among the most likely to mix with lots of other people, while being the least likely to be vaccinated.

People aged 25-34 had been on a similar upward trend but this appears to have been curtailed by the introduction of vaccines, and cases in this age group are falling again.

This comes as Public Health England figures - also published on Friday - show a 46% increase in the number of Delta variant Covid cases in the last week, with most cases being in the under-50s.

The 80,000 (or 90% of) Delta cases found in under-50s have led to eight deaths - none of these had been double-vaccinated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57610999

To re-emphasise, 90% of all confirmed Delta cases were in people under the age of 50, only eight of those people - 0.01% of confirmed cases - died, and none of them had received both doses of a vaccine. The jabs are working very well, even in a population with a much higher case rate than Israel and where nearly all new infections are now with the Delta variant.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Brilliant. And quick turnaround too.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    BigRich said:

I would be a bit careful...law of small numbers and all that.

Remember in the UK there was that stat that a 1/3 who died from Indian variant were doubled vaxxed. But it was actually 12 from 42 deaths.

Now we know, more complete data, 5 months, 50 deaths in over 50s, and zero in under 50 who are fully vaccinated. Double vaxxed make up a very small overall fraction of cases.
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178
    Hancock has to go. He broke his own rules.

Simple as that.

This is serious, I dont think the politically obsessed get how serious it is, because normal peoples lives were badly disrupted by the rules Hancock himself ignored.

He will be gone before Batley and Spen.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,000

Boris is oddly loyal to his people - you can add Stanley and Jo - even those, perhaps especially those, who treat him badly in return.

Not really.

BoZo is determined not to bow to norms and standards.

He stuck with Cummings when he should have sacked him because he didn't want to do what the press wanted, and sacked him on a whim for not being respectful enough to his girlfriend.

He will stick with Hancock because sacking him sets all kinds of bad precedent, then will ditch him when attention is elsewhere
  • Options

BigRich said:

I wouldn't worry about Israel. We've had a Hell of a lot more Delta cases than they have and it's not causing serious trouble in terms of hospitalisations and deaths.

Here's some news I posted earlier, concerning the latest ONS survey returns for cases in the UK:

The biggest increase in positive tests was found in older teenagers and younger adults - those aged 17-24. This group is among the most likely to mix with lots of other people, while being the least likely to be vaccinated.

People aged 25-34 had been on a similar upward trend but this appears to have been curtailed by the introduction of vaccines, and cases in this age group are falling again.

This comes as Public Health England figures - also published on Friday - show a 46% increase in the number of Delta variant Covid cases in the last week, with most cases being in the under-50s.

The 80,000 (or 90% of) Delta cases found in under-50s have led to eight deaths - none of these had been double-vaccinated.

To re-emphasise, 90% of all confirmed Delta cases were in people under the age of 50, only eight of those people - 0.01% of confirmed cases - died, and none of them had received both doses of a vaccine. The jabs are working very well, even in a population with a much higher case rate than Israel and where nearly all new infections are now with the Delta variant.
    While I largely agree with your assessment, and Israel can worry about itself without me. My concern is that if the delta variant is passed on in sufficiently large proportion of asymptomatic vaccinated cease, then it may never go down sufficiently for the pore people who for medical reasons can not have vaccines. which is really sad, I notices somebody positing on here that there may be 250,000 in the UK.
  • Options

BigRich said:

Remember in the UK there was that stat that a 1/3 who died from Indian variant were doubled vaxxed. But it was actually 12 from 42 deaths.

Now we know, more complete data, 5 months, 50 deaths in over 50s, and zero in under 50 who are fully vaccinated. Double vaxxed make up a very small overall fraction of cases.
    Yes, you may be right, and I am defiantly at the extreme of open everything now, not wait till 19 July, now and everything from nightclubs and strip clubs to travel for everybody to/from anywhere!!!

however I also what to look at information that conflicts with what I want it to be.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,489
    Scott_xP said:

Not really.

BoZo is determined not to bow to norms and standards.

He stuck with Cummings when he should have sacked him because he didn't want to do what the press wanted, and sacked him on a whim for not being respectful enough to his girlfriend.

He will stick with Hancock because sacking him sets all kinds of bad precedent, then will ditch him when attention is elsewhere
    And the blond thread running through BoJo's premiership- prorogation, attitude to misbehaving ministers and aides, approach to PMQs, even the style of Brexit we have, is "you can't make me".

It's pathetically brattish, but when push doesn't come to shove, he's right.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    20 mins to NYSE closes, still no UAP report released. Hmmmm
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

Yes, you may be right, and I am defiantly at the extreme of open everything now, not wait till 19 July, now and everything from nightclubs and strip clubs to travel for everybody to/from anywhere!!!

however I also what to look at information that conflicts with what I want it to be.
    I am hoping that with only a few weeks left of schools and the youth getting vaccinated we are going to slow transmission in the foreseeable future and then it won't be long until we are doing boosters.

Perhaps Pfizer might ise Israel again as test location for updated boosters.
  • Options
    eek said:

Charles said:

Mortimer said:

What was the update?
    This
    DavidL said:

God bless David L.
  • Options

glw said:

Roger said:

Doesn't sound like a marriage built to last....
    It didnt...
  • Options
    Well now.

Two brothers who launched a bitcoin trading business from their bedroom and amassed $3.6 billion in investments have vanished, increasing their clients’ fears about their money.

Raees and Ameer Cajee, 21 and 17 respectively, have not been heard from since April when their platform shut down and they told clients it had been hacked and funds stolen. The brothers are alleged to have urged Africrypt’s investors not to contact the authorities as that “would only delay” efforts to recover the money.

According to reports, police are investigating what could be one of the biggest crypto thefts in history.

In the weeks before the disappearance, the brothers sold assets including a Lamborghini Huracan, and gave up their permanent suite at one of South Africa’s most expensive hotels and their rented beachside apartment near Durban, lawyers for the investors say.

The company’s tech staff were allegedly unable to access back-end systems a week before the claimed security breach, Darren Hanekom, a lawyer in Cape Town acting for some investors, told Bloomberg.

Africrypt’s pooled funds were transferred from its bank accounts and client wallets and put through bitcoin “tumblers and mixers” in an effort to make them untraceable, he claimed. “We were immediately suspicious as the announcement implored investors not to take legal action,” he said. In a letter to their clients dated April 13, Ameer Cajees is claimed to have written that it was “unknown to us the extent of personal client information breached during the attack”.

According to lawyers, he added that the brothers were attempting to retrieve “stolen funds and compromised information”. The apparent disappearance of the Cajees coincided with a record high in bitcoin’s value, following an announcement by Elon Musk that Tesla, his electric car maker, would start accepting the currency. Since then, its value has been hit by China’s crackdown on digital currencies and Musk reversing his decision.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cajee-brothers-who-ran-3-6bn-bitcoin-fund-vanish-lbfhbc0sh
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

Pro_Rata said:

justin124 said:

Omnium said:

Not at all. Following the self-inflicted wound he inflicted on his party at Hartlepool, Starmer should have delayed B&S until early October - by which time Johnson's vaccine bounce is likely to have faded in the context of some return to normal party politics. I made this point when the writ was moved - soo little hindsight is involved
    Leaving people unrepresented for 4-5 months for political convenience. Personally, I think writs should be moved immediately after the previous MP resigns, or after the funeral in the case of a death. If it's inconvenient, well there's no requirement to campaign.
    It depends how long a delay is involved. Stephen Swingler MP for Newcastle under Lyme passed away in February 1969 , but the consequent by election did not occur until the end of October that year. I believe that was far too long a period to leave the seat unfilled.4 to 5 months has often happened - I recall that Lord Lambton resigned his seat at Berwick upon Tweed in late May 1973 with no by election taking place until early November. There are other more recent examples such that it would not have been unreasonable to have not moved the writ until early September. Candidate selection itself can easily take a couple of months - when normal procedures are being followed . The imposition of candidates by the national party can misfire badly - as evidenced by Hartlepool.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

While I largely agree with your assessment, and Israel can worry about itself without me. My concern is that if the delta variant is passed on in sufficiently large proportion of asymptomatic vaccinated cease, then it may never go down sufficiently for the pore people who for medical reasons can not have vaccines. which is really sad, I notices somebody positing on here that there may be 250,000 in the UK.
    I would seriously doubt that the number is as high as 250,000 - IIRC that was claimed as an approximate total for the number of immunosuppressed people in the country, but I so happen to know two of those people really rather well and they were both deemed not compromised enough - thank God - to be denied the vaccine. They therefore had both doses as part of Cohort 4. But that's by the by: fundamentally, it's not possible to achieve complete protection for the unvaccinated vulnerable, because the vaccines themselves are less than 100% effective and so won't completely crush illness or sever all those nasty chains of transmission.

At some point we have to exit the restrictions and, as the sole justification for imposing them in the first place was to prevent the collapse of the healthcare system, now seems like an appropriate time to do it. Insofar as I can see, there's nothing in the evidence gathered about Delta so far - in terms of estimates of vaccine efficacy, and in the observations of hospitalisation and death seen in the worst-affected localities - to suggest that this variant has the capacity to overload the hospitals at this stage in the epidemic.

Removing restrictions inevitably means an increase in cases and everything that flows from that, and it will mean greater risk for the most vulnerable parts of the population - but policymakers have to choose the best route overall for the entire community, which means that they need to balance the remaining benefit of the restrictions against the non-Covid harms that they cause. Once the benefits are exceeded by the harms, the rules should be binned.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

https://twitter.com/kelliemeyernews/status/1408504005542793220?s=21
    “The White House has been briefed on the UAP report”.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

That Daily Mail report did huge damage - the notion percolated into the public consciousness even being doubly vaccinated didn't make you safe.

If I were a bluff old cynic, I'd wonder if the placing of the report was timed to make the public more willing to accept the extension of restrictions but I'm sure that would be erroneous on my part.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,013
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Disappointed that tweet isn't about George Floyd
  • Options
    NEW: South Africa reports 18,762 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase since January 9
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,000
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,321
    Derek Chauvin receives 22 year and 6 month sentence
  • Options
    Spot the odd one out....yes i know i know, deaths take time to filter through.

https://twitter.com/Antonio_Caramia/status/1408312225333452801?s=19
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Venus, weather balloons, cloud formations....

...oh yeah - and the rest are aliens.
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

It will say something like “it’s not us, we don’t know what it is”
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Quite well by the looks of the photo....
    Great comment but time for him to go
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

It will say something like “it’s not us, we don’t know what it is”
    With a selfie from a little green man gurning into the camera?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Its like Cummings, the longer he stays around the more damage it does.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    @Black_Rook

I didn't mean to tag your post as off topic!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Its like Cummings, the longer he stays around the more damage it does.
    It would be interesting to hear Kay Burley and him arguing about their behaviour live on Sky

At least she went away for 6 months
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    rcs1000 said:

@Black_Rook

I think you can click it again to un-tag it.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,013

BigRich said:

BigRich said:

I would seriously doubt that the number is as high as 250,000 - IIRC that was claimed as an approximate total for the number of immunosuppressed people in the country, but I so happen to know two of those people really rather well and they were both deemed not compromised enough - thank God - to be denied the vaccine. They therefore had both doses as part of Cohort 4. But that's by the by: fundamentally, it's not possible to achieve complete protection for the unvaccinated vulnerable, because the vaccines themselves are less than 100% effective and so won't completely crush illness or sever all those nasty chains of transmission.

At some point we have to exit the restrictions and, as the sole justification for imposing them in the first place was to prevent the collapse of the healthcare system, now seems like an appropriate time to do it. Insofar as I can see, there's nothing in the evidence gathered about Delta so far - in terms of estimates of vaccine efficacy, and in the observations of hospitalisation and death seen in the worst-affected localities - to suggest that this variant has the capacity to overload the hospitals at this stage in the epidemic.

Removing restrictions inevitably means an increase in cases and everything that flows from that, and it will mean greater risk for the most vulnerable parts of the population - but policymakers have to choose the best route overall for the entire community, which means that they need to balance the remaining benefit of the restrictions against the non-Covid harms that they cause. Once the benefits are exceeded by the harms, the rules should be binned.
    As I understand it, many if not most immunosuppressed people can be vaccinated with anything other than a live virus vector. But it might not generate much of an immune response and therefore might not work very well.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

The only reason I can think of why a PM would not fire a Cabinet minister for so disgracefully undermining the flagship policy of the government, is because the PM has been doing the same. I start to ponder that Johnson is not long for his job.
    He didn’t fire Cummings for what, bluntly, was a far more serious matter.
    Firstly, by a mile what Cummings did was less serious than this.

Secondly, Cummings was at the time the brains behind the Boris government and it was still panic stations.

Hancock has shown himself to be worse than inept throughout the crisis, as well as being dishonest. Which the PM admits. Secondly we are now out the woods. Sack him now or this will cast a cloud over firstly, the unlockdown, but actually the rest of his term.
    Cummings coming into work while his wife was showing symptoms of Covid was ‘by a mile less serious than this?’

Or driving 300 miles and then repeatedly breaking quarantine while there?

And repeatedly lying about all this?

I have to disagree.
    I think you are forgetting that his wife was not showing Covid symptoms. She was just unwell, but definitely 100% not Covid symptoms. That's what made it okay for him to come back in.

Then he decided that they might get Covid at a later point so needed to immediately travel over night to Durham.
    Ummm..she thought they were possible Covid symptoms.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/getting-coronavirus-does-not-bring-clarity

In which case, the rule was for the whole household to isolate.
    Also I think at this stage we can treat her diary pieces as works of fiction.
    My sarcasm detector clearly decided to take the night off. My apologies :smile:
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Why is the Hancock story suddenly breaking today? Seems as if some people were gunning for him over the last month vie leaks to the press.

Just as well 24 rolling news wan't around during the First World War, when Ministers and Admirals were known to be spending time with other men's wives.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

@Black_Rook

I think you can click it again to un-tag it.
    My phone is playing silly buggers.
  • Options

BigRich said:

BigRich said:

Thanks, am pleased that the number is less than 250,000. :)

And there is IMHO enough data now to say the heath system will not be overrun, its time to fully reopen, NOW!
  • Options

Spot the odd one out....yes i know i know, deaths take time to filter through.

https://twitter.com/Antonio_Caramia/status/1408312225333452801?s=19

Vaccines work, who would have thought!!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,302

glw said:

Roger said:

I know the diametric opposite. A bride who fucked the best man on the wedding day

The human comedy is nothing if not diverse and egalitarian
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Butt he’s in the wrong position.
  • Options
    Leon said:

glw said:

Roger said:

I know the diametric opposite. A bride who fucked the best man on the wedding day

Leon,

Sorry to ask this, but based on some of the anecdotes about you life so far I feel the need to ask, 'Where you the best Man?'
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Why is the Hancock story suddenly breaking today? Seems as if some people were gunning for him over the last month vie leaks to the press.

Just as well 24 rolling news wan't around during the First World War, when Ministers and Admirals were known to be spending time with other men's wives.

Or other people’s teenage daughters in the case of Asquith.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Leon said:

glw said:

Roger said:

Leon,

Sorry to ask this, but based on some of the anecdotes about you life so far I feel the need to ask, 'Where you the best Man?'
    Well, he’s lasted longer than Byronic already, so poss...oh, sorry, I see what you mean.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311

Well now.

Two brothers who launched a bitcoin trading business from their bedroom and amassed $3.6 billion in investments have vanished, increasing their clients’ fears about their money.

Raees and Ameer Cajee, 21 and 17 respectively, have not been heard from since April when their platform shut down and they told clients it had been hacked and funds stolen. The brothers are alleged to have urged Africrypt’s investors not to contact the authorities as that “would only delay” efforts to recover the money.

According to reports, police are investigating what could be one of the biggest crypto thefts in history.

In the weeks before the disappearance, the brothers sold assets including a Lamborghini Huracan, and gave up their permanent suite at one of South Africa’s most expensive hotels and their rented beachside apartment near Durban, lawyers for the investors say.

The company’s tech staff were allegedly unable to access back-end systems a week before the claimed security breach, Darren Hanekom, a lawyer in Cape Town acting for some investors, told Bloomberg.

Africrypt’s pooled funds were transferred from its bank accounts and client wallets and put through bitcoin “tumblers and mixers” in an effort to make them untraceable, he claimed. “We were immediately suspicious as the announcement implored investors not to take legal action,” he said. In a letter to their clients dated April 13, Ameer Cajees is claimed to have written that it was “unknown to us the extent of personal client information breached during the attack”.

According to lawyers, he added that the brothers were attempting to retrieve “stolen funds and compromised information”. The apparent disappearance of the Cajees coincided with a record high in bitcoin’s value, following an announcement by Elon Musk that Tesla, his electric car maker, would start accepting the currency. Since then, its value has been hit by China’s crackdown on digital currencies and Musk reversing his decision.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cajee-brothers-who-ran-3-6bn-bitcoin-fund-vanish-lbfhbc0sh

I am going to have a wild stab at this and speculate that your client base when you operate what seems to be a money laundering scheme for a money laundering currency probably don’t use the likes of me to recover money that they believe that they are owed.

I suspect that their methods may not even be fully ECHR compliant.
  • Options
    NEW: @marcorubio statement on UAP REPORT:

Calls the report "an important first step."

Adds "the Defense Department and Intelligence Community have a lot of work to do before we can actually understand whether these aerial threats present a serious national security concern.”
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,260

Niall Paterson
    @skynewsniall
    ·
    3h
    I got to hug and kiss my mum and dad last week for the first time in almost a year. Matt Hancock was one of those who told me what I could and could not do; he apparently broke the rules that he told me (literally, given my job, to my face on occasion) I had to follow.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,987
    DavidL said:

Well now.

I am going to have a wild stab at this and speculate that your client base when you operate what seems to be a money laundering scheme for a money laundering currency probably don’t use the likes of me to recover money that they believe that they are owed.

I suspect that their methods may not even be fully ECHR compliant.
    I suspect they now have new identities and are sat in somewhere like Dubai....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Leon said:

glw said:

Roger said:

The moral of the story: Don't ask Leon to be your Best Man.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,905

BigRich said:

Asymptomatic infection among the vaccinated doesn't matter.
    Exactly. It’s the same problem in UK, USA, UAE and other places that are doing lots of testing. They’re finding cases, but that’s not translating into over-running the health system.
This discussion has been closed.