Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Thirteen months ago the CON poll lead dropped upto 17 points after the Cummings Barnard Castle revel

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021

OT things you learn... Until reading that Gina of Matt&Gina fame is married to Oliver Tress who founded the Oliver Bonas shops, I'd always believed there was a posh bloke called Oliver Bonas running them.

Bonas was the surname of his then girlfriend Anna (cousin of Prince Harry's ex-girlfriend Cressida Bonas.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    Could be bad news for the Tories in Batley & Spen. Even if it only shifts 500 votes it could be crucial in a close result.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Cookie said:

I don't recall a time this board was held a view so unanimously as we appear to on this issue.
    The only dissent seems to be exactly what about Matt Hancoxk and his behaviour we find so reprehensible.

Yep. And it reemphasizes yet again the amazing slack that somehow is cut for Boris Johnson. People really should have a good hard think about this aspect. And no, just to save time, the answer that it's all about Hancock's "hypocrisy" doesn't scan. Don't trouble me with that.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,319
    Omnium said:

When Wales beats Denmark tomorrow, and England lose to Germany, with Kane misfiring again, on Tuesday the narrative will be football and then the B&S election will make the headlines

Hancock may get away it it but that does not excuse the fact he should have resigned/ been sacked

I'd have had you as more of a rugby man rather than worrying about lesser sports.
    I have never had an interest in rugby

My football journey was

1952 - 1959 - attended most Berwick Ranges home games, while following Man Utd

1960 - 1965 - season ticket holder with Hibernian FC

1966 - to recently - season ticket holder with Man Utd

And some years ago, actually slept overnight on the Stretford End, with my daughter, to claim our cup final tickets

• Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited June 2021
    dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

But a majority? No idea but would it be Islamophobic to say so. Have there been polls? I would be amazed if it was a majority

The link was posted in the last thread by isam; detailed tables are here (table 45, p.119).

Results are based on interviews with 1,081 Muslims aged 18+. Interviews were carried out face-to-face, and fieldwork took place between 25 April and 31 May 2015. The data has been weighted by age, gender, region and work status.

For each of the following statements, please tell me to what extent you agree or disagree with each one: Homosexuality should be legal in Britain

Strongly agree: 8%
    Tend to agree: 10%
    Neither agree nor disagree: 22%
    Don't know: 8%
    Tend to disagree: 14%
    Strongly disagree: 38%
    Total agree: 18%
    Total disagree: 52%
    Worth pointing out that it's not all that many generations that you'd have got similar views if you asked this question in England as a whole. These views are old fashioned by a few decades, not a few centuries.
    A National Opinion Poll extracted from the Daily Mail in October 1965 stated that 63% of people polled disagreed that homosexual acts in private should be criminal. That's, what, 8.2 Scottish generations worth? Of course, that's not the point of posting the statistics: I do wonder if those being so circuitous about criticising Muslims for homophobia have been equally reticent when it comes to criticising Conservatives or Leavers for opinions not held by almost 100% of the bloc.
    Your quote continues. "93% believed homosexuals to need psychiatric or medical treatment."
    Was removed as a "disease" by the WHO in 1990.
    With a name like that, should you really spend this much time moving goalposts? Personally I'd rather live in a society which thought I needed medical treatment to one which thought I should be imprisoned (though the prescribed punishment in Islam is, of course, death by stoning). But the most important fact - in fact, the only important fact in the discussion we're actually having and not the one people seem to wish we were having - is that a majority of UK Muslims in 2015 believed homosexuality should be illegal, and a majority of Britain in 1965 didn't.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122

OT things you learn... Until reading that Gina of Matt&Gina fame is married to Oliver Tress who founded the Oliver Bonas shops, I'd always believed there was a posh bloke called Oliver Bonas running them.

Bonas was the surname of his then girlfriend Anna (cousin of Prince Harry's ex-girlfriend Cressida Bonas.
    Bloody hell these posh people really do all know each other.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    Sean_F said:

Floater said:

Coronavirus latest news: Scotland’s Covid rate is more than double England’s, new figures reveal

Shut the border !!!

I don't see the pointing of hanging on to a liability.
    It's a bit like going to a nightclub with an ugly mate, it makes you look relatively good...
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430

Oh...

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    39m
    Hancock’s mistresses brother got Government contracts…
    My god it gets worse.

#SackHancock

Hancock's own sister's company got a contract. A company in which Matt Hancock himself is a shareholder. But don't worry. The government has already investigated and cleared Hancock.

The potential for corruption in awarding no-bid contracts, as well as employing mates as non-executive directors to get round the SpAd rules (themselves not very arduous) might one day bring the government down, though it's more likely to be a 4-page centrefold special in Private Eye before everyone moves on.
    Wasn't his sister's company in Wales where the NHS is run by that living God Mark Drakeford, as PBers know everything he does is brilliant.
    The contract was awarded by NHS SBS. As Lord Geidt noted sardonically: It is reasonable to assume that Mr Hancock’s sister and brother-in-law, the owners of Topwood Ltd., would have been well aware of his appointment as Secretary of State at the time of their company securing this contract with NHS SBS.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,984

Oh...

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    39m
    My god it gets worse.

#SackHancock

Hancock's own sister's company got a contract. A company in which Matt Hancock himself is a shareholder. But don't worry. The government has already investigated and cleared Hancock.

The potential for corruption in awarding no-bid contracts, as well as employing mates as non-executive directors to get round the SpAd rules (themselves not very arduous) might one day bring the government down, though it's more likely to be a 4-page centrefold special in Private Eye before everyone moves on.
    Wasn't his sister's company in Wales where the NHS is run by that living God Mark Drakeford, as PBers know everything he does is brilliant.
    And they do document shredding - hardly under the influence of a health secretary. That was nonsense - today he should resign. Firstly he is having an affair with his aide - completely inappropriate and unacceptable. Against the ministerial code. And he has not followed the guidance where we rely on each other for it to succeed. I don't think he is as useless as some on here but he is hardly worth keeping. He should have been called forth and despatched first thing this morning before anyone else had the chance to call for his resignation.
    Document shredding is, however, very important if say, you have things that you need to rapidly remove all evidence of.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487
    I've spent far too much time and money in the Oliver Bonas in Manchester Piccadilly railway station.
  • Options

Pattern of hospitalisations against cases in England continuing.

Cases by specimen date translucent; hospitalisations seven days lagged in full colour. Dashed lines represent 7-day averages for each.

Is it better to scale the vertical axis on a log scale?
  • Options
    NEW: Number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 in Moscow reaches record-high, deputy mayor says. Exact figure not disclosed - TASS
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    moonshine said:

When Wales beats Denmark tomorrow, and England lose to Germany, with Kane misfiring again, on Tuesday the narrative will be football and then the B&S election will make the headlines

Hancock may get away it it but that does not excuse the fact he should have resigned/ been sacked

The only reason I can think of why a PM would not fire a Cabinet minister for so disgracefully undermining the flagship policy of the government, is because the PM has been doing the same. I start to ponder that Johnson is not long for his job.
    He didn’t fire Cummings for what, bluntly, was a far more serious matter.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Late afternoon all :)

Enjoyed lunch with Brother Stodge this afternoon - first time we've met face-to-face since last October.

I must confess I wore my mask a lot today - as one of the 11 million hayfever sufferers, I find the mask does alleviate the symptoms a little by reducing the amount of pollen one breaths in or ingests. For the same reason, we eschewed the dubious virtues of al fresco dining.

I'll be honest - I despise this time of the year. The rain and gloom last weekend was like manna from heaven - the heat and sunshine can stay away until mid July as far as I'm concerned - I accept that's a rather selfish and minority view (normally I avoid the former but seem to find it hard to avoid the latter).

I avoid talking politics with Brother Stodge because he's firmly in the Conservative camp but unprompted he had a good rant about Hancock. It's not the sin that kills you, as Nick Clegg and John Major found out, but the hypocrisy. Saying one thing and urging the public to do one thing while you or those around you in positions of responsibility are doing the opposite is what sticks in the national craw.

Brother Stodge's "how the **** did he think he would get away with it?" perhaps sums it up well. Of course, one feels for Hancock's family but it now seems de rigueur to be able to compartmentalise one's working life from one's non-working life. I have to confess, were I to be discovered to be "playing away", I'd be much more worried about Mrs Stodge's reaction than my employer's but I'm not a Cabinet Minister (or I wasn't last time I looked).
  • Options

The government will ask the Parole Board to look again at its decision to release a double child killer who was the first murderer to be convicted using DNA evidence.

Who has been in an open prison for some years.

A well known case here.
  • Options

NEW: Number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 in Moscow reaches record-high, deputy mayor says. Exact figure not disclosed - TASS

Is that a reflection on their vaccine programme or their vaccine?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

But a majority? No idea but would it be Islamophobic to say so. Have there been polls? I would be amazed if it was a majority

The link was posted in the last thread by isam; detailed tables are here (table 45, p.119).

Results are based on interviews with 1,081 Muslims aged 18+. Interviews were carried out face-to-face, and fieldwork took place between 25 April and 31 May 2015. The data has been weighted by age, gender, region and work status.

For each of the following statements, please tell me to what extent you agree or disagree with each one: Homosexuality should be legal in Britain

Worth pointing out that it's not all that many generations that you'd have got similar views if you asked this question in England as a whole. These views are old fashioned by a few decades, not a few centuries.
    A National Opinion Poll extracted from the Daily Mail in October 1965 stated that 63% of people polled disagreed that homosexual acts in private should be criminal. That's, what, 8.2 Scottish generations worth? Of course, that's not the point of posting the statistics: I do wonder if those being so circuitous about criticising Muslims for homophobia have been equally reticent when it comes to criticising Conservatives or Leavers for opinions not held by almost 100% of the bloc.
    Your quote continues. "93% believed homosexuals to need psychiatric or medical treatment."
    With a name like that, should you really spend this much time moving goalposts? Personally I'd rather live in a society which thought I needed medical treatment to one which thought I should be imprisoned (though the prescribed punishment in Islam is, of course, death by stoning). But the most important fact - in fact, the only important fact in the discussion we're actually having and not the one people seem to wish we were having - is that a majority of UK Muslims in 2015 believed homosexuality should be illegal, and a majority of Britain in 1965 didn't.
    You seem spectacularly aerated by this.
    Views are changing. That was my only point.
    Moslems in the UK are behind the times on this, yes. But they are not alone in the world in their views. Not by a long way.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

It is worth remembering, of course, that the numbers for Evangelical Christians in the US aren't that different from Muslims in the UK: https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/religious-tradition/evangelical-protestant/views-about-homosexuality/
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    ydoethur said:

Very few are vaccinated in Russia. Technically their vaccine is fine, but there have been reports that the QA has been poor from some Eastern European countries who bought it.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

The only reason I can think of why a PM would not fire a Cabinet minister for so disgracefully undermining the flagship policy of the government, is because the PM has been doing the same. I start to ponder that Johnson is not long for his job.
    Firstly, by a mile what Cummings did was less serious than this.

Secondly, Cummings was at the time the brains behind the Boris government and it was still panic stations.

Hancock has shown himself to be worse than inept throughout the crisis, as well as being dishonest. Which the PM admits. Secondly we are now out the woods. Sack him now or this will cast a cloud over firstly, the unlockdown, but actually the rest of his term.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,043

PBers may be amused to learn that the three letter station code for the new Woolwich Crossrail station is WWC.

Middle class and/or BAME passengers should not alight here!

Crossrail has totally disappeared off my radar in the last fifteen months. It feels like a mythical beast, the denouement of a long-sought quest, never to be completed. Like Berlin Airport, the Ryugyong Hotel or the Scottish National Monument.

At least it looks as though one of those will be fully finished. ;)
  • Options
    moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Secondly, Cummings was at the time the brains behind the Boris government and it was still panic stations.

Hancock has shown himself to be worse than inept throughout the crisis, as well as being dishonest. Which the PM admits. Secondly we are now out the woods. Sack him now or this will cast a cloud over firstly, the unlockdown, but actually the rest of his term.
    Cummings coming into work while his wife was showing symptoms of Covid was ‘by a mile less serious than this?’

Or driving 300 miles and then repeatedly breaking quarantine while there?

And repeatedly lying about all this?

I have to disagree.
  • Options

I've spent far too much time and money in the Oliver Bonas in Manchester Piccadilly railway station.

Killing time while waiting for a train I can understand but buying what exactly?
  • Options

PBers may be amused to learn that the three letter station code for the new Woolwich Crossrail station is WWC.

Crossrail has totally disappeared off my radar in the last fifteen months. It feels like a mythical beast, the denouement of a long-sought quest, never to be completed. Like Berlin Airport, the Ryugyong Hotel or the Scottish National Monument.

I thought Berlin Airport had opened now?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited June 2021

Surely a more appropriate punishment is that Hancock has to kiss everyone who has tested positive for covid today.

He's already had Covid, so that's just punishment for the already unfortunate.

He should definitely go, but perhaps he just wants to announce the Great Unlocking? The data on it saving the government's face is looking very good, so there's no way they can delay again, surely.
    moonshine said:

How many others have been doing the same and are currently wondering how much CCTV footage has leaked?

Who monitors the security of ministerial offices? Given the sensitivity you'd think it would be locked down to the nth degree - airgapped, no phones permitted, no external devices etc etc etc - and definitely not outsourced to Group 4.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Views are changing. That was my only point.
    Moslems in the UK are behind the times on this, yes. But they are not alone in the world in their views. Not by a long way.
    Indeed. I expect other immigrant populations such as Christian Africans, Hungarians and possibly Latvians are not too dissimilar. Let alone in other countries.
  • Options

Long time no hear! Have you been keeping well?
  • Options
    eek said:

Killing time while waiting for a train I can understand but buying what exactly?
    Dresses and body glitter mostly.

I had a wife and girlfriend (not concurrently) who love shopping in there, and it was a case 'If you're there get me X and anything you think looks good on me.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    eek said:

It's one of those shops that screams "they saw you coming" isn't it.
  • Options

Hello you!
  • Options

OT "our" NHS has just texted me details of two pop-up vaccination centres tomorrow. I do not think everyone appreciates how little notice these things get. As it happens, I've already had both jabs, one of which was on a same-day basis.

Oh dear. The NHS just texted again to say that one of the two pop-ups needs an appointment so call this number...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    In London, another big push on vaccinations this weekend:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/where-can-get-walk-in-vaccine-london-booking-this-month-b942374.html

Unfortunately, nothing in East London. This is outrageous - the queues last weekend at Stratford suggested there was plenty of demand yet this weekend there's nothing over my side of town.

100,000 adults over 30 in Newham have yet to be vaccinated - irrespective of whether they have been "invited" or not, it seems the NHS, Government and the Councils are just giving up on them.
  • Options

eek said:

I had a wife and girlfriend (not concurrently) who love shopping in there, and it was a case 'If you're there get me X and anything you think looks good on me.
    What would have happened if you came back with nothing, and simply ‘that’s what you look best in?’
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Surely a more appropriate punishment is that Hancock has to kiss everyone who has tested positive for covid today.

He should definitely go, but perhaps he just wants to announce the Great Unlocking? The data on it saving the government's face is looking very good, so there's no way they can delay again, surely.
    moonshine said:

How many others have been doing the same and are currently wondering how much CCTV footage has leaked?

Who monitors the security of ministerial offices? Given the sensitivity you'd think it would be locked down to the nth degree - airgapped, no phones permitted, no external devices etc etc etc - and definitely not outsourced to Group 4.
    But he had the pox long enough ago to catch it again. Not as if he has been being careful, is it?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,135

ydoethur said:

Blimey. There’s optimism for you.

The is issue is, if you fired every dodgy minister in Johnson’s government, there would hardly be anyone left. Possibly Sunak, Wallace, Hart, and perhaps Buckland and Truss on a good day. Even among the junior ministers there would be carnage.
    Typical arrogance of the Welsh.

It is why Welsh rugby fans are hated across the world.
    Is there another example of arrogant sports fans being hated across the world?

*entirely un-innocent face*
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ditto.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

What would have happened if you came back with nothing, and simply ‘that’s what you look best in?’
    I always came back with something.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

The big, unanswered, and it would appear, unasked, question is, of course, how long has this been going on?
    You don't just appoint someone you have known for 25 years as your advisor, and then suddenly discover you are magically attracted to each other, quite out of the blue.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The is issue is, if you fired every dodgy minister in Johnson’s government, there would hardly be anyone left. Possibly Sunak, Wallace, Hart, and perhaps Buckland and Truss on a good day. Even among the junior ministers there would be carnage.

Aussie cricket fans.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    stodge said:

In London, another big push on vaccinations this weekend:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/where-can-get-walk-in-vaccine-london-booking-this-month-b942374.html

Unfortunately, nothing in East London. This is outrageous - the queues last weekend at Stratford suggested there was plenty of demand yet this weekend there's nothing over my side of town.

100,000 adults over 30 in Newham have yet to be vaccinated - irrespective of whether they have been "invited" or not, it seems the NHS, Government and the Councils are just giving up on them.

My two pop-ups are in the London Borough of Redbridge which is Newham-adjacent. They are not on the Standard's list (unless they were behind a pop-up advert).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scottish fans.

Before my time but I believe at the 1978 World Cup Scotland's manager said they'd be coming home with a medal.

Sevco fans are known for their arrogance I believe.

As a fan of the English association football & rugby football union teams and Liverpool FC, we are synonymous with legendary humility.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

Oh...

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    39m
    My god it gets worse.

#SackHancock

11 years ago, after time travelling with @Leon's aliens...
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    edited June 2021

Oh...

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    39m
    My god it gets worse.

#SackHancock

11 years ago, after time travelling with @Leon's aliens...
    Still a breach of the ministerial code not to have registered the potential conflict for an ongoing contract, and I think we can safely say he did not register it.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited June 2021
    Carnyx said:

moonshine said:

But he had the pox long enough ago to catch it again. Not as if he has been being careful, is it?
    I'm not excusing the behaviour, BTW, just saying it isn't likely that he'd catch it even if tasked with the punishment suggested. He has been vaxxed as well (on camera, if I recall).

If the 'Great Unlock' is in a couple of weeks you can see why he might be desperate to get to the end before being forced to resign.

Be interesting to know whether this was going on when he caught Covid, mind...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

Unwise...
  • Options
    moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Hancock's has brownie points from insisting on spreading orders between different suppliers (apparently because he'd seen a scary film on the subject).
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

The big, unanswered, and it would appear, unasked, question is, of course, how long has this been going on?
    You don't just appoint someone you have known for 25 years as your advisor, and then suddenly discover you are magically attracted to each other, quite out of the blue.
    This is why it’s a far bigger scandal than Cummings. And as others have said, Hancock has form as a trougher.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Shut the front door, Sick Boy is playing John Major in The Crown.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57610233

(He's Sherlock Holmes to me these days.)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scottish fans.

Before my time but I believe at the 1978 World Cup Scotland's manager said they'd be coming home with a medal.

As a fan of the English association football & rugby football union teams and Liverpool FC, we are synonymous with legendary humility.
    Quite so.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    dixiedean said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

May be fairly recent.

I should think it is a requirement for Cabinet Ministers in Johnson's Governement to have a mistress or equivalent.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scottish fans.

That’s where Swinson got it from then
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Not nearly as aerated as the - what, four people now? who have jumped in to offer various whataboutery points to a fairly straightforward that a majority of UK Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal. Only a small majority, however - similar to the proportion of Leavers who support the return of capital punishment (53%) or blue passports (52%). I look forward to seeing the people who have jumped in here offering similar counterpoints when those topics are brought up in future.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,903
    edited June 2021

Oh...

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    39m
    My god it gets worse.

#SackHancock

The NHS in Wales is ‘run’ by my old university mate Vaughan Gething.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Anyone watching Ch4 News would bet the house on Hancock going. Probably tonight. It's a firing squad
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    edited June 2021
    Roger said:

Anyone watching Ch4 News would bet the house on Hancock going. Probably tonight. It's a firing squad

Until seeing this comment I was also convinced he was going to go....

Edit to add: And he should, in my opinion. Guideline makers cannot be breakers
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Not nearly as aerated as the - what, four people now? who have jumped in to offer various whataboutery points to a fairly straightforward that a majority of UK Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal. Only a small majority, however - similar to the proportion of Leavers who support the return of capital punishment (53%) or blue passports (52%). I look forward to seeing the people who have jumped in here offering similar counterpoints when those topics are brought up in future.

Read Douglas Murray the strange death of Europe
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Hugely relieved to see @DavidL posting again today. Thanks for letting us know David, and well done for seeking medical advice!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Excluding don’t knows it’s 75%
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

Bonas was the surname of the then girlfriend of Oliver Tress.

IIRC she was the cousin of Prince Harry's ex, Cressida Bonas.
    Hancock is the one who has been getting the Brucie Bonas.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    Roger said:

I won't miss him if he goes.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    isam said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Excluding don’t knows it’s 75%
    Though the survey is six years old.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Yes, thanks, though busy.

Home schooling was an education for both of us. I felt like genuflecting myself in front of his teacher and saying: "You do this for *how* many!" In all seriousness, it has given me a healthy respect for the teaching profession.

I've also been having my own little lockdown activities to keep myself (in)sane. A large Lego project, and I've run every day so far this year - over 1,200 miles. During lockdown, I'd go our at five in the morning to avoid people. Call it my little rebellion. ;)

I'm also trying to run every road and path (bar motorways and the A14) in an area from Cambridge to Huntingdon, down to Sandy, across to Royston then back up to Cambridge. It feels a bit like a task of Sisyphus : every time I do a run, I find another little path that needs to be done ...

Both myself and Mrs J are now fully vaxxed (plus two weeks), and we haven't killed each other whilst working from home. We've both avoided the pox - just as well, given Mrs J's lung problems in 2019.

Has anything been happening in the world of politics? I suppose 2020 and 2021 have been just as quiet as 2010 to 2019 was? ;)
    Good to see you here again! Not much going on in the world, it’s still turning.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

Cummings coming into work while his wife was showing symptoms of Covid was ‘by a mile less serious than this?’

I have to disagree.
    I think you are forgetting that his wife was not showing Covid symptoms. She was just unwell, but definitely 100% not Covid symptoms. That's what made it okay for him to come back in.

Then he decided that they might get Covid at a later point so needed to immediately travel over night to Durham.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,135
    edited June 2021

ydoethur said:

Scottish fans.

Scottish football fans hated across the world, good one!

You could say Sevco fans are the only truly British football fan..
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Aussie cricket fans.
    "Cricket" entirely superfluous in that sentence.
  • Options
    Banton currently showing England watch they are currently missing on the YouTube....
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Does anyone know how DavidL is following his health scare last night? Hope he is well.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Does anyone know how DavidL is following his health scare last night? Hope he is well.

He messaged earlier to say suspected blood clot, in hospital awaiting a scan. But feeling better.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

I have to disagree.
    I think you are forgetting that his wife was not showing Covid symptoms. She was just unwell, but definitely 100% not Covid symptoms. That's what made it okay for him to come back in.

Then he decided that they might get Covid at a later point so needed to immediately travel over night to Durham.
    Ummm..she thought they were possible Covid symptoms.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/getting-coronavirus-does-not-bring-clarity

In which case, the rule was for the whole household to isolate.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442

ydoethur said:

Very few are vaccinated in Russia. Technically their vaccine is fine, but there have been reports that the QA has been poor from some Eastern European countries who bought it.
    There is also an issue of trust in the Government of Russia, by it's citizens
  • Options
    Roger said:

It is however Ch4 News which even it's most ardent viewer most agree is rather left wing and anti-Boris.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I’ll tell you what hasn’t been mentioned today. Hancock went to Cambridge. Says it all really.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    My gut instinct here is that Hancock will stay. People accept the mafia rule that we have because they get things done and there is no alternative. Johnson will just try and weather the storm. The MP's can try and rebel and suffer the same fate as the brexit rebels.
    Nicola Sturgeon was caught without a mask at a funeral and sat out the furore.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Hugely relieved to see @DavidL posting again today. Thanks for letting us know David, and well done for seeking medical advice!

Good to see that, had been wondering (and worrying). is 54 a record for likes?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

TimT said:

He messaged earlier to say suspected blood clot, in hospital awaiting a scan. But feeling better.
    Thanks. Good he found his way to hospital then.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

No idea why......
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,581

ydoethur said:

Scottish fans.

You could say Sevco fans are the only truly British football fan..
    We can always interrogate the large historical record of their behaviour at world cup finals to find out...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

My Russia mole reckoned another factor is that the place is really, really big, with a handful of modern cities and an awful lot of nothing and nowheresville in between.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

My Russia mole reckoned another factor is that the place is really, really big, with a handful of modern cities and an awful lot of nothing and nowheresville in between.
    Canada seems to be managing....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    tlg86 said:

I’ll tell you what hasn’t been mentioned today. Hancock went to Cambridge. Says it all really.

Oh, that was post-grad - he has a foot in both camps. Definitely the worst kind! :lol:
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,581
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Unwise...
    Is this not the modern version of sitting on a branch sawing it half off and hoping for the best?

Me, I've spent the day improving a tenant's house with a small extension, and the bloody rain has bloody rained all over my bloody washing.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Russia is a hotbed of anti-vax conspiracy theories, and was even before this pandemic.

Surveys show something like 10% eager to be vaccinated, a combination of distrust of the government, distrust of the vaccine (it’s 50% effective) and numerous, bonkers other reasons such as it makes you sick and you can give everyone you meet Covid by getting vaccinated.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    What's Hancock got on Johnson?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

Cases by specimen date translucent; hospitalisations seven days lagged in full colour. Dashed lines represent 7-day averages for each.

Is it better to scale the vertical axis on a log scale?
    I considered that, but I think the linear scale is more intuitive for visualising the current situation and a direct comparison of the scale of hospitalisations vs cases.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

ydoethur said:

I assumed the relatively low vaccination rate in Russia at the moment was at least impart down to exporting a lot of there Vaccines, to make money and or friends. but could be wrong.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

I have to disagree.

That's correct. Cummings story is that she was ill with not-Covid symptoms and then after checking on her and returning to the office Cummings became so concerned about her Covid symptoms that he took action.

And that is the story he's sticking to.

No, it does not make any sense and is an insult to the general public's intelligence that he even proffered it.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Fenman said:

Nothing - the issue is that Hancock hasn't done anything Johnson hasn't also done.

And Boris knows 1 rule for him and another rule for Hancock is asking for trouble.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    rcs1000 said:

Even that exaggerates the issue, as the growth of the number in hospital is only running at 9% week over week.
    I need to work out a way of adding that without making it too busy.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    BigRich said:

ydoethur said:

I assumed the relatively low vaccination rate in Russia at the moment was at least impart down to exporting a lot of there Vaccines, to make money and or friends. but could be wrong.
    No, they can't give it away in Russia. So much so, they had German vaccine tourists as they had so much going unused.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

Precedent? Why is Hancock's paramour different from any that Boris had in office?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Mortimer said:

Good to see that, had been wondering (and worrying). is 54 a record for likes?
    No, JohnO has the record with 60 likes recently, when he told us all he was better after his cardiac arrest.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    BigRich said:

ydoethur said:

According to my Russian friends and relatives, vaccination is on a walk in basis with no queues, in Moscow and has been from the start. Tons of capacity not used.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

I have to disagree.

Also I think at this stage we can treat her diary pieces as works of fiction.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Oh, that was post-grad - he has a foot in both camps. Definitely the worst kind! :lol:
    He saw what a dump Oxford was and wanted to do his post grad at Cambridge, which is what Stephen Hawking did, and he was a pretty clever chap.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

Welcome back!
This discussion has been closed.