Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Thirteen months ago the CON poll lead dropped upto 17 points after the Cummings Barnard Castle revel

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2021 in General
imageThirteen months ago the CON poll lead dropped upto 17 points after the Cummings Barnard Castle revelations – politicalbetting.com

Last year the news of Dom’s lockdown breaking trip to Barnard Castle had a huge impact on the CON lead in the voting intention polls.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    1st
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2021
    If Boris sacked him today, would be done and dusted by Monday. Instead the media will drag it out for weeks.
    Coronavirus latest news: Scotland’s Covid rate is more than double England’s, new figures reveal

Shut the border !!!
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044

If Boris sacked him today, would be done and dusted by Monday. Instead the media will drag it out for weeks.

e.g.

Dan Wootton
    @danwootton
    ·
    26m
    He was the man who kept families from hugging; who banned first dances at weddings; who warned teenagers that human contact could ‘kill your gran’.
    But that Matt Hancock is a fake, a phoney and a fraud whose authority is gone.
    My new
    @DailyMailUK
    column
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Yep - that's what Hancock has chosen for his family, rather than taking some accountability and putting them first.
    Opened my newspaper earlier to find a two page advert from the Government detailing all the petty rules for a wedding. e.g. the speeches must be done outside to avoid use of loud voice inside.

This is all just becoming a joke now.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Floater said:

Coronavirus latest news: Scotland’s Covid rate is more than double England’s, new figures reveal

Shut the border !!!

To be fair, Nicola did try to help England by banning Scots from bringing their infections to Manchester.
    Oh...

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    39m
    Hancock’s mistresses brother got Government contracts…
    My god it gets worse.

#SackHancock
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    Of the four lead articles in the Spectator, three are gunning for Matt Hancock. Might be an occasion to see if GB News have anything lined up on this.

Floater said:

Shut the border !!!

To be fair, Nicola did try to help England by banning Scots from bringing their infections to Manchester.
    But London was fair game .....
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    fpt
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Leon said:

maaarsh said:

BigRich said:

Pulpstar said:

Just seen a clip of Ledbetter being harangued in Batley and Spen. Vile stuff

Do you mind me asking, by whom, and for what?

Was it activists form a different party?
    I'm assuming it's from voters Labour would consider 'theirs' and fits in to the pattern of ignoring homophobia or anti-semitism if its electorally damaging to challenge it that they've gone for.
    Labour really are completely fucked. Either they try and keep the conservative Muslim vote on board (but how? How do they square this with Wokeness??) or they abandon them and lose several million voters in one go
    When the woke types feel comfortable calling out Islamic misogyny and homophobia, we might be approaching assimilation. Letting them off because of their religion, or that they’re their enemies enemy proves multiculturalism isn’t working.
    Conservative Islam is backward and reprehensible in its attitude to women and homosexuality.

That was easy, wasn't it.
    The fact you had to add ‘Conservative’ makes me feel like it wouldn’t be easy to say it without caveats
    If you said it without caveat it would be anti-Muslim bigotry.
    Which then leads to the question - at what level of belief is it acceptable to generalise about a group.

If group A has X% holding a belief Y, at what level of X does it become acceptable to say "Group A believes Y"

100%
    90%
    80%

and so on?
    My opinion? -

"Muslims are homophobic" only works if it's close to 100%.

Which it isn't. So you go with "Homophobia is more prevalent amongst British Muslims than amongst the general population."

Saying the first (especially if you make a big deal of it when you normally don't give a toss about LGBT rights) is a tell of islamophobia.

And should we do a balancer for context? Yes, why not.

"British Jews are emotionally attached to Israel." - No. That's a tell of antisemitism.

"There is more attachment to Israel amongst British Jews than amongst the general population." - Ok.
    I'm not up on the latest definitions but I think the latter example (Jews/Israel) would probably be true for the majority of British Jews. Israel is a Jewish homeland, the Jewish homeland and hence I can't see anti-semitism in that statement as I would take it to mean the majority of British Jews are emotionally attached to Israel. 100%? No. But a majority.

As to your first example, I would apply the same thinking. 100%? No. But a majority? No idea but would it be Islamophobic to say so. Have there been polls? I would be amazed if it was a majority and that is where the islamophobia would come in to conflate "some" with "all". But I don't think the test is 100%.

But perhaps I am out of touch and need re-educating.

Yes, I can't see an upside for Boris in not doing so. It can't be any esteem for his abilities or any personal affection for the man.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    I can't see why Boris is hanging on to Hancock, other than from preventing Cummings getting some grim satisfaction at having nailed his man...
    edited June 2021

Oh...

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    39m
    My god it gets worse.

#SackHancock

We've done this...its more complicated. Company has had contracts for 11 years with NHS. Brother employed way before covid when not even clear Tories would be in power a month later let alone if Hancock would be in the job.

Its not really his mate from the pub says he wants to do PPE story.
    Cookie said:

Yes, I can't see an upside for Boris in not doing so. It can't be any esteem for his abilities or any personal affection for the man.
    Actually, I can see a small upside - perhaps he's keeping him in place just to punish him.

Rationally, I just want him replaced by someone competent and sane.
    Emotionally, I want a show trial that lasts for days and days and days.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    As an aside, the England "in hospital" numbers were pretty good again today. There's no sign of Delta causing any concerning surge in the number of people in hospital with Covid.

Basically: vaccines are working as we'd hope, breaking the link between infections and hospitalisations. And one would expect that as (a) more people get vaccinated, and (b) Delta runs through younger (less vulnerable) populations, then it will burn itself out.

Where's @Chris at a time like this, eh?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776
    Floater said:

Shut the border !!!

I don't see the pointing of hanging on to a liability.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Scott_xP said:

Actually not among his best.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

I can't see why Boris is hanging on to Hancock, other than from preventing Cummings getting some grim satisfaction at having nailed his man...

It's a really good Boris trait in my view. He stands by his team. The whole reshuffle thing never works and always conveys weakness. At least in this Boris gets top marks. (I think Hancock may well go - just depends on his wife, and what her view is.)
    She's nailed it.

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    3h
    Social distancing rules 2021

17 April 6 May

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1408419962662817797
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, the England "in hospital" numbers were pretty good again today. There's no sign of Delta causing any concerning surge in the number of people in hospital with Covid.

Basically: vaccines are working as we'd hope, breaking the link between infections and hospitalisations. And one would expect that as (a) more people get vaccinated, and (b) Delta runs through younger (less vulnerable) populations, then it will burn itself out.

NW hospitalisations (remember, as ever, the North West leads the way) are still looking good. There'll no doubt be bumps in the road downward, especially as Liverpool and its neighbours are seeing a surge in cases, but every reason for encouragement.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Omnium said:

It's a really good Boris trait in my view. He stands by his team. The whole reshuffle thing never works and always conveys weakness. At least in this Boris gets top marks. (I think Hancock may well go - just depends on his wife, and what her view is.)
    Nah. Boris can’t sack anyone for shagging around.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,978
    rcs1000 said:

I don't think you appreciate just how time consuming being the smartest person in the room is.

Nearly as time consuming as being a person with legendary modesty.

rcs1000 said:

I don't think you appreciate just how time consuming being the smartest person in the room is.

When you say 'room' have you noticed the padded nature of the walls?

rcs1000 said:

Oh no, I fully appreciate how time consuming being the smartest person in the room is.

She's nailed it.

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    3h
    Social distancing rules 2021

17 April 6 May

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1408419962662817797

Nah, the Queen had more than 30 people at the funeral.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004

Opened my newspaper earlier to find a two page advert from the Government detailing all the petty rules for a wedding. e.g. the speeches must be done outside to avoid use of loud voice inside.

Not if you are holding a wedding
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,155
    Jonathan said:

Omnium said:

Nah. Boris can’t sack anyone for shagging around.
    An interesting counterfactual, like the German invasion of Kent in 1940.
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh no, I fully appreciate how time consuming being the smartest person in the room is.
    I know you do, you also attended the finest university in the world, being the smartest person in the room is natural for us.
    FPT:

rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Middle class people like me, and perhaps OLB tend to know, disproportionately, middle class Muslims with fairly western views. It gives us an impression that Muslims are more western than is typically the case. But clearly these are not terribly representative.

That's certainly true. A Muslim former Goldman colleague of mine was going through a miserable divorce at the time of the gay marriage debate, and came up with the line "Marriage is fucking awful. I don't see why gay people should be exempt."

But it also cuts both ways: highly conservative, speak Bangladeshi at home, go to the Mosque every week, etc may be a large share of the Muslim population, but they are far from 100%.
    I'm sure that Cookie is right, but as an MP I met all kinds, and they too vary in intensity. Went to one all-Muslim meeting where one participant argued furiously that it should be illegal to make fun of the Koran. I said that any such law would need to apply to other books that people considered holy too - the Bible, for instance - would he favour that? He paused in mid-flow, hesitated, and said "I suppose so." The others around him looked unsure about the whole thing and moved on to other subjects. One needs to recognise nuance and work on it, not stand back in horror and condemn everyone in sight.

The same applies to WWC people with views that Guardian readers would recoil from. You have to engage.
    Islam needs to have a bit more fun and far, far fewer wars. Guardian readers need a good war or two.

It's true: at least with Evangelical pastors in the US, they might preach against sodomy, drugs, prostitution, homesexuality and extra-marital sex, but at least they mostly engage in those practices themselves.

Where the story of the "E" popping, hooker banging Iman?
    I was arrested for the alleged use of cocaine. When I was in custody, I was served kebab, and I ate it out of respect. That's how the cocaine – which was mixed in the kebab – got into my body. This served as the basis of the allegations against me.
    Brilliant.

Also, could someone let me know which kebab shop that is?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,724
    edited June 2021
    FPT>

Just come back from a meeting of a u3a Reading Group. 4 'older' ladies and me. We never only discuss the book we're supposed to, always a bit of life and so on, and no-one had a good word to say for Matt Hancock, either on the marital or 'example' front.
    I don't think anyone thought Boris would sack him, though.

Not sure how they all normally vote; one is definitely Labour but I've never, and won't ever, ask the others. Suspect two are Tory voters; this is Witham, after all!

The book we were supposed to be discussing was Edward St Aubyn's 'Patrick Melrose', which none of us liked, and which several of us, including the 'write-ins' gave a very nasty view of 'upper class' society.

The other topic of conversation was the s**t state of General Medical Practice at the moment.

Well at least you're not banging on about false positives this year.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,944

Oh...

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    39m
    My god it gets worse.

#SackHancock

Hancock's own sister's company got a contract. A company in which Matt Hancock himself is a shareholder. But don't worry. The government has already investigated and cleared Hancock.

The potential for corruption in awarding no-bid contracts, as well as employing mates as non-executive directors to get round the SpAd rules (themselves not very arduous) might one day bring the government down, though it's more likely to be a 4-page centrefold special in Private Eye before everyone moves on.

Oh...

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    39m
    My god it gets worse.

#SackHancock

Hancock's own sister's company got a contract. A company in which Matt Hancock himself is a shareholder. But don't worry. The government has already investigated and cleared Hancock.

The potential for corruption in awarding no-bid contracts, as well as employing mates as non-executive directors to get round the SpAd rules (themselves not very arduous) might one day bring the government down, though it's more likely to be a 4-page centrefold special in Private Eye before everyone moves on.
    Wasn't his sister's company in Wales where the NHS is run by that living God Mark Drakeford, as PBers know everything he does is brilliant.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776
    rcs1000 said:

The admissions and numbers in hospital data are extremely encouraging.
    OT "our" NHS has just texted me details of two pop-up vaccination centres tomorrow. I do not think everyone appreciates how little notice these things get. As it happens, I've already had both jabs, one of which was on a same-day basis.
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

NW hospitalisations (remember, as ever, the North West leads the way) are still looking good. There'll no doubt be bumps in the road downward, especially as Liverpool and its neighbours are seeing a surge in cases, but every reason for encouragement.
    NW "in hospital" appears to have peaked about five days ago. Week-over-week will hopefully go negative in the next few days.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,596

However Johnson's claim on Wednesday that Labour are jabbering whilst the Conservatives are jabbing should be rammed down the public's throat this weekend. If the Government does that Hancock's tryst will go away, and Galloway has already won B and S for his boy Johnson, so moving on...
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,724

However Johnson's claim on Wednesday that Labour are jabbering whilst the Conservatives are jabbing should be rammed down the public's throat this weekend. If the Government does that Hancock's tryst will go away, and Galloway has already won B and S for his boy Johnson, so moving on...
    Yes, Galloway is coming across as a Tory glove puppet.
    edited June 2021
    I think what will save Hancock in the short term is

1) England v. Germany

and

2) The B&S by election.

I suspect focus will be on those two.

(That's assuming nothing else comes out about the affair.)
    If Matt Hancock could resign around 1pm on Sunday that would be great, I've got some awesome headlines and puns ready.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

1) England v. Germany

and

2) The B&S by election.

So, which way around is it? If England wins, Hancock survives, or vice versa?
  • ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited June 2021
    TOPPING said:

But a majority? No idea but would it be Islamophobic to say so. Have there been polls? I would be amazed if it was a majority

The link was posted in the last thread by isam; detailed tables are here (table 45, p.119).

Results are based on interviews with 1,081 Muslims aged 18+. Interviews were carried out face-to-face, and fieldwork took place between 25 April and 31 May 2015. The data has been weighted by age, gender, region and work status.

For each of the following statements, please tell me to what extent you agree or disagree with each one: Homosexuality should be legal in Britain

Strongly agree: 8%
    Tend to agree: 10%
    Neither agree nor disagree: 22%
    Don't know: 8%
    Tend to disagree: 14%
    Strongly disagree: 38%
    Total agree: 18%
    Total disagree: 52%
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited June 2021

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I know you do, you also attended the finest university in the world, being the smartest person in the room is natural for us.
    ...and Felix makes 3... :smiley:
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    Pattern of hospitalisations against cases in England continuing.

Cases by specimen date translucent; hospitalisations seven days lagged in full colour. Dashed lines represent 7-day averages for each.

TimT said:

1) England v. Germany

and

2) The B&S by election.

England wins = Hancock survives.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Surely a more appropriate punishment is that Hancock has to kiss everyone who has tested positive for covid today.
    I don't recall a time this board was held a view so unanimously as we appear to on this issue.
    The only dissent seems to be exactly what about Matt Hancoxk and his behaviour we find so reprehensible.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    3 dead in a stabbing attack in Wurzburg, Germany
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,769
    edited June 2021

New photos emerge of Matt Hancock's affair.

Look, minister, when I said I wanted you to put a little prick in me I was talking about being vaccinated.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Cases by specimen date translucent; hospitalisations seven days lagged in full colour. Dashed lines represent 7-day averages for each.
    [snip]

That's a really excellent visualisation. And it's good news.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461

TimT said:

1) England v. Germany

and

2) The B&S by election.

England wins = Hancock survives.
    Maybe Hancock could replace Southgate when England lose then.

TOPPING said:

But a majority? No idea but would it be Islamophobic to say so. Have there been polls? I would be amazed if it was a majority

The link was posted in the last thread by isam; detailed tables are here (table 45, p.119).

Results are based on interviews with 1,081 Muslims aged 18+. Interviews were carried out face-to-face, and fieldwork took place between 25 April and 31 May 2015. The data has been weighted by age, gender, region and work status.

For each of the following statements, please tell me to what extent you agree or disagree with each one: Homosexuality should be legal in Britain

Worth pointing out that it's not all that many generations that you'd have got similar views if you asked this question in England as a whole. These views are old fashioned by a few decades, not a few centuries.

More a glove-puppet of the left. The Tories really don't care about B&S in the big scheme of things. The main idea is that Starmer is undermined again.

Should B&S go Tory though I've no doubt it'll get a little light shone on its causes.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    FPT:
    BigRich said:

moonshine said:

Yesterday saw 221,534 first doses given and 177,813 second jabs......

This getting worse..

We are deep into the dregs of people that can’t be arsed getting vaccinated. If you want a million a day you’re going to have to wait for third doses to kick in to the stats.
    I don't believe that is correct. Apparently several million have booked for jabs, but not enough capacity to get through them, many have been given appointments several weeks away.
    I relay don't believe that 7 million have booked a job (first jab), there are only 9 and a bit million unjaded adults, so unless only 2 million are not taking it 7 million does not make sense. at around 200,000 first jabs a day, 7 million would imply we are fully booked for 5 weeks, the longest wait Iv heard on here was for 2 weeks and most have been less than that.

Perhaps it was 7 million have not yet booked, implying that 2 million have booked but not had one yet, which would imply 10 days to go, some areas more some less, A few more will book in that time so perhaps 2 to 3 weeks, which will take up to around 47.5 million first doses which is about 90%.

But always open to new information where did you hear/see that 7 million waiting number do you have a link?
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Cookie said:

I don't recall a time this board was held a view so unanimously as we appear to on this issue.
    The only dissent seems to be exactly what about Matt Hancoxk and his behaviour we find so reprehensible.

Is it because he’s a sweating, dart-eyed mountebank?
    The government will ask the Parole Board to look again at its decision to release a double child killer who was the first murderer to be convicted using DNA evidence.

Big news lost in the Hancock scandal...in 5 months, only 50 fully vaccinated over 50s have died with covid and nobody under 50 has died and only 3% of total cases.

The vaccines are absolutely smashing it. If you are double vaccinated you really are extremely well protected.

Indie Sage must be more gutted than Eric Pickles.

Surely a more appropriate punishment is that Hancock has to kiss everyone who has tested positive for covid today.

That's just mean, after all, they have all had one bit of bad news already.
    China vs Israel. Both countries' scientists have announced new human ancestors this week.

Israel: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57586315
    China: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57432104

Cookie said:

Is it because he’s a sweating, dart-eyed mountebank?
    Full disclosure: I like Matt Hancock, met him a few times.
    BigRich said:

That's just mean, after all, they have all had one bit of bad news already.
    That's true, we need to sweeten it for them somehow. They're allowed to knee him in the bollocks after it, or something.
    ydoethur said:

Big news lost in the Hancock scandal...in 5 months, only 50 fully vaccinated over 50s have died with covid and nobody under 50 has died and only 3% of total cases.

The vaccines are absolutely smashing it. If you are double vaccinated you really are extremely well protected.

Am i missing something, why is Erik Pickles gutted? is there an 'in-joke' I don't get?
    edited June 2021
    Cookie said:

Because he’s a useless tosser with the whiff of dodgy dealings about his actions, whom everyone intensely dislikes.

If he were popular and effective, people would be much less inclined to be censorious.

It shouldn’t be that way - what they were doing should be a disciplinary regardless of niceness/competence - but it is.
    BigRich said:

ydoethur said:

Am i missing something, why is Erik Pickles gutted? is there an 'in-joke' I don't get?
    Well gutted being a reference to his, shall we say, ample proportions.
    If you like Gina Coladas.
    And getting caught on TV.

• ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited June 2021
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Worth pointing out that it's not all that many generations that you'd have got similar views if you asked this question in England as a whole. These views are old fashioned by a few decades, not a few centuries.
    A National Opinion Poll extracted from the Daily Mail in October 1965 stated that 63% of people polled disagreed that homosexual acts in private should be criminal. That's, what, 8.2 Scottish generations worth? Of course, that's not the point of posting the statistics: I do wonder if those being so circuitous about criticising Muslims for homophobia have been equally reticent when it comes to criticising Conservatives or Leavers for opinions not held by almost 100% of the bloc.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,405
    PBers may be amused to learn that the three letter station code for the new Woolwich Crossrail station is WWC.

Middle class and/or BAME passengers should not alight here!

PBers may be amused to learn that the three letter station code for the new Woolwich Crossrail station is WWC.

Could have been worse...WC...
    When Wales beats Denmark tomorrow, and England lose to Germany, with Kane misfiring again, on Tuesday the narrative will be football and then the B&S election will make the headlines

Hancock may get away it it but that does not excuse the fact he should have resigned/ been sacked

No middle class passenger would be seen dead at Woolwich Station anyway.

When Wales beats Denmark tomorrow, and England lose to Germany, with Kane misfiring again, on Tuesday the narrative will be football and then the B&S election will make the headlines

Hancock may get away it it but that does not excuse the fact he should have resigned/ been sacked

Blimey. There’s optimism for you.

The is issue is, if you fired every dodgy minister in Johnson’s government, there would hardly be anyone left. Possibly Sunak, Wallace, Hart, and perhaps Buckland and Truss on a good day. Even among the junior ministers there would be carnage.

I'd have had you as more of a rugby man rather than worrying about lesser sports.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,856

Ah thanks for the warning. That's a bus for me then.
    ydoethur said:

The is issue is, if you fired every dodgy minister in Johnson’s government, there would hardly be anyone left. Possibly Sunak, Wallace, Hart, and perhaps Buckland and Truss on a good day. Even among the junior ministers there would be carnage.
    Typical arrogance of the Welsh.

It is why Welsh rugby fans are hated across the world.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724

I’ll be cheering on Wales…. While betting on Denmark.
    Is this headline writer for real?

Health secretary apologises for breaking social distancing guidelines
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57612441
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,709
    I wonder if the author Tom Knox reads this site?
    If he does, this might interest him.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57432104
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

A National Opinion Poll extracted from the Daily Mail in October 1965 stated that 63% of people polled disagreed that homosexual acts in private should be criminal. That's, what, 8.2 Scottish generations worth? Of course, that's not the point of posting the statistics: I do wonder if those being so circuitous about criticising Muslims for homophobia have been equally reticent when it comes to criticising Conservatives or Leavers for opinions not held by almost 100% of the bloc.
    Your quote continues. "93% believed homosexuals to need psychiatric or medical treatment."
    Was removed as a "disease" by the WHO in 1990.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Probably not. Hancock is a rather more sympathetic character than Cummings. Having said that they are starting to look sleazy as the party increasingly reflects the man in charge

It's the position of Starmer that's interesting. We all knew that Johnson would reveal himself for what he is. The interesting question has been whether Starmer's decency on it's own would be enough. I'm beginning to think the way things are going it could be.
    Brilliant

New photos emerge of Matt Hancock's affair.

• maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    ydoethur said:

Is this headline writer for real?

Health secretary apologises for breaking social distancing guidelines
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57612441

Well that is all the slimy git has apologies for out of his litany of sins.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,856
    TOPPING said:

I'm not up on the latest definitions but I think the latter example (Jews/Israel) would probably be true for the majority of British Jews. Israel is a Jewish homeland, the Jewish homeland and hence I can't see anti-semitism in that statement as I would take it to mean the majority of British Jews are emotionally attached to Israel. 100%? No. But a majority.

As to your first example, I would apply the same thinking. 100%? No. But a majority? No idea but would it be Islamophobic to say so. Have there been polls? I would be amazed if it was a majority and that is where the islamophobia would come in to conflate "some" with "all". But I don't think the test is 100%.

But perhaps I am out of touch and need re-educating.

Done you on PT. And you'll be delighted with it.
    ydoethur said:

They will find aome new road blocks.
    ydoethur said:

Rishi, Hunt and Truss are my choices to replace Boris

And yes we are up for it in Wales for tomorrow night
    OT things you learn... Until reading that Gina of Matt&Gina fame is married to Oliver Tress who founded the Oliver Bonas shops, I'd always believed there was a posh bloke called Oliver Bonas running them.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Omnium said:

More a glove-puppet of the left. The Tories really don't care about B&S in the big scheme of things. The main idea is that Starmer is undermined again.

Should B&S go Tory though I've no doubt it'll get a little light shone on its causes.
    Galloway is an ogre , but - if Labour lose B&S -Starmer will still rightly be blamed for having held the by election at this time.

It's not every covid carrier's fault they got the pox. You can't impose a mass punishment like that.

No middle class passenger would be seen dead at Woolwich Station anyway.
    Especially now they closed the Royal Artillery Museum to make more room for yuppies, or something.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,182
    edited June 2021
    Boris won´t sack Hancock, for fear of being regarded as a hypocrite when further and better particulars of his own private life are released.

However the patience of the country is not limitless and I suspect that that one or another of the next three or four scandals to break this year will finally cut through.

Personally I am furious that I can not get to GB to see my elderly parents because my commitments here mean that even fully jabbed I still could not comply with the insane regulations that BoJos fiasco government insists on because I have no time to spare.

Meanwhile the minister flouts any rule going and that´s OK.

Tory Tossers.
    Carnyx said:

It's not every covid carrier's fault they got the pox. You can't impose a mass punishment like that.
    No, you're quite right. I haven't thought this through.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226

The only reason I can think of why a PM would not fire a Cabinet minister for so disgracefully undermining the flagship policy of the government, is because the PM has been doing the same. I start to ponder that Johnson is not long for his job.

Even that exaggerates the issue, as the growth of the number in hospital is only running at 9% week over week.

OT things you learn... Until reading that Gina of Matt&Gina fame is married to Oliver Tress who founded the Oliver Bonas shops, I'd always believed there was a posh bloke called Oliver Bonas running them.

Bonas was the surname of the then girlfriend of Oliver Tress.

IIRC she was the cousin of Prince Harry's ex, Cressida Bonas.
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Oh...

Adam Brooks
    @EssexPR
    ·
    39m
    My god it gets worse.

#SackHancock

Wasn't his sister's company in Wales where the NHS is run by that living God Mark Drakeford, as PBers know everything he does is brilliant.
    And they do document shredding - hardly under the influence of a health secretary. That was nonsense - today he should resign. Firstly he is having an affair with his aide - completely inappropriate and unacceptable. Against the ministerial code. And he has not followed the guidance where we rely on each other for it to succeed. I don't think he is as useless as some on here but he is hardly worth keeping. He should have been called forth and despatched first thing this morning before anyone else had the chance to call for his resignation.
This discussion has been closed.