Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump at a 25% chance looks value for the WH2024 GOP nomination – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

moonshine said:

The deputy political editor of the Sun, Kate Ferguson, has just accused No. 10 of 'massive contempt' for the public. This is not going away. Not by a long chalk.

By Tuesday people will be singing Three Lions and cheering on England Vs Germany.

The proportion of people who care about politics in this country like we do is miniscule.
    This is flawed analysis. I know of two life long Tory voters who are appalled at this scandal and have said today they will not vote for this government unless he is sacked. My conclusion is that Boris is beginning to lose his political antenna.
    Agreed.

I might have a few quid on Galloway now...
    As I half joked earlier, the story won’t be forgotten unless Biden puts on his big boy pants this weekend and says “well if it’s not us, and it’s not Russia or China, we must face the hard truth of what logically is left on the list that it can be”.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,590

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Completely O/T - but i don't suppose anyone has had any further news today in relation to DavidL? It's all very concerning if not.

Yes, was rather concerning about @DavidL. Hope he’s okay and in hospital.
    Yes, that was scary

Has anyone heard from him?
    I am pleased to report that tales of my demise are somewhat exaggerated.
    I took the advice on here last night and called 999. I spent a somewhat uncomfortable night but feel somewhat better today. Still waiting for a scan but it looks like a blood clot.
    Thanks very much for the concern, it was much appreciated.
    Fantastic!

Don't *ever* do that to us again. Or it's grounded for you young lad.
    Your advice was appreciated and acted upon. I hate to be a bother but the unanimous views on here persuaded me this was a time to be a nuisance.
    Good stuff. It's obviously good to hear that this wasn't anything disastrous.

The broader take home message from this story is to always make a nuisance of yourself when you think you *might* have a serious medical problem. Too many people in general, and men in particular, have a tendency not to want to, and some of them end up avoidably deceased as a result.
    My doctor used to go on about how, going to hospital/the doctor at the early signs of a problem saves you risk and money *and* saves the country money. It takes alot of unnecessary visits to A&E to add up to the cost of treating a major issue....
    As someone who thinks a great many people at A&E are malingerers who shouldn't be there and should see their GP instead at best ... That gives some food for thought.
    Many people attend A&E because their GP is unreachable. When trials have been made of GP type services at hospitals to filter the A&E queues, they have practically emptied them, at times.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2021
    Only 3% of under-50s hospitalised with Indian Covid have been fully vaccinated - and NONE have died.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Boris will probably be seen as strong and decisive and get a poll boost if he sacks Hancock for this - but if he doesn’t it could be the end of him

Johnson sacking somebody for philandering would lay him wide open to the charge of being a rank hypocrite.
    I don't think the shagging around is really the problem. I think in general the public don't actually care that much about people having affairs anymore (Justin124 aside).

I think it is more who is shagging around with in office hours (in the office) in the middle of a pandemic.
    I must be unusual then. For me, cheating on his wife marks him down far more than this 'hypocrisy' bollox. Hypocrisy has to be the most overattacked vice there is. We're all hypocrites. We don't all cheat on our partners.
    That is a good point. We are all hypocrites in one form or another. Part of me wonders how much of the outrage comes from those who are going "I wish I could have an affair" *

* mind you, it's not a flattering photo on the BBC website.
    I think that I am very old fashioned about this. To me, it is a moral question. If you have an affair you risk causing great hurt to another to whom you made serious promises. You do so for your own selfish desires. It’s wrong and I think less of those that do.
    If a marriage is at an end end it. This happens and we are human. But cheating is a character flaw and really not great for someone Cumming’s has claimed is an inveterate liar.
    But Boris’s greenhouse barely has a pane left in this regard.
    A word of caution. We aren't privy to the secrets of Matt Hancock's marriage. Perhaps it is an open marriage. Perhaps they like consensual polyamory. Perhaps she also takes lovers.

We don't know it's "cheating". It is definitely embarrassing, and he should probably resign for the flagrant breaking of lockdown rules - but he should not resign for having sex

BTW well done in not being dead, get better soon
    Nearly 40k items of wit and wisdom, occasionally even correct and I get the most likes ever for being alive.

Hmmm
    Now you are just tempting the rest of us to try the same trick.

Did I ever mention my sore elbow?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,972
    Stocky said:

@Leon

Majorca vs Menorca - any views?

Menorca is where the Spanish tend to go.

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Pulpstar said:

Northern Ireland is definitely falling behind in the vaccine rollout, bit less than 80% of adults there - England and Scotland up to over 83%.

and yet they have the lowest cases now.

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1408417956330082304

Meanwhile this qualifies as an excellent day's number for Nicola after near as dammit hitting 3k for the last 2 days.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

The deputy political editor of the Sun, Kate Ferguson, has just accused No. 10 of 'massive contempt' for the public. This is not going away. Not by a long chalk.

Defending Cummings, Johnson said "I think he followed the instincts of every father and every parent, and I do not mark him down for that.”

Hancock?

This may be a weaker defence?: "I think he followed the instincts of every husband in search of a extra-marital knee-trembler in an alley and I do not mark him down for that.”

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,825
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Completely O/T - but i don't suppose anyone has had any further news today in relation to DavidL? It's all very concerning if not.

Yes, that was scary

I took the advice on here last night and called 999. I spent a somewhat uncomfortable night but feel somewhat better today. Still waiting for a scan but it looks like a blood clot.
    Hope my colleagues are looking after you well.

Blood clots at the moment are very topical. Platelets and D-dimers OK? I expect your physicians would have checked.

Best wishes
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

By Tuesday people will be singing Three Lions and cheering on England Vs Germany.

The proportion of people who care about politics in this country like we do is miniscule.
    This is flawed analysis. I know of two life long Tory voters who are appalled at this scandal and have said today they will not vote for this government unless he is sacked. My conclusion is that Boris is beginning to lose his political antenna.
    Agreed.

As I half joked earlier, the story won’t be forgotten unless Biden puts on his big boy pants this weekend and says “well if it’s not us, and it’s not Russia or China, we must face the hard truth of what logically is left on the list that it can be”.

Ironically, Starmer may be cursing this. If he can't win B&S after this monster scandal, well.....
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Today's topic: does he get the sack for getting in the sack?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Agreed.

Did you see the Lue Elizondo response to the question "if everybody found out what you knew, what would the next week be like?"
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,520
    edited June 2021
    Stocky said:

@Leon

Both quite touristy, both beautiful in parts. Both have great beaches, good food, nice wine

Majorca has a lot more tacky resorts and general tat, but as it is so much bigger, it also has way more choice

Generally I'd go for Menorca, it has a lovely little city, Ciutadella, and some exquisite natural areas (much less spoiled than Majorca). But watch the weather - Menorca can be quite windswept even in summer (yachties like it for that reason)

Avoid Ibiza, unless you want clubs and glam. It's rather ugly
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,972

What non-political people don't like is politicians taking the piss. That's the issue here for Hancock - and for Johnson now he has backed Hancock.

• Options
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

@Leon

Both quite touristy, both beautiful in parts. Both have great beaches, good food, nice wine

Majorca has a lot more tacky resorts and general tat, but as it is so much bigger, it also has way more choice

Generally I'd go for Menorca, it has a lovely little city, Ciutadella, and some exquisite natural areas (much less spoiled than Majorca). But watch the weather - Menorca can be quite windswept even in summer (yachties like it for that reason)

Have you visited the capital Mahon? If so, how does it compare to Ciutadella?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Only 3% of under-50s hospitalised with Indian Covid have been fully vaccinated - and NONE have died.

The pandemic is basically over if you've been vaccinated and are under 50.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Defending Cummings, Johnson said "I think he followed the instincts of every father and every parent, and I do not mark him down for that.”

Hancock?

This may be a weaker defence?: "I think he followed the instincts of every husband in search of a extra-marital knee-trembler in an alley and I do not mark him down for that.”

LOL

Except of course, the instincts of most husbands are not strong enough to extend to abrogating and clinging on to the ancient liberties of the people of Great Britain for their fulfillment.

That's one powerful cause, right there.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

@Leon

Have you visited the capital Mahon? If so, how does it compare to Ciutadella?
    Yes I've seen both. Mahon is pleasant - it is nice by the marina, and anywhere near the water - but nothing particularly special

Ciutadella has an exquisite Gothic core, it's gorgeous. Definitely nicer
  • Options

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Fantastic!

Your advice was appreciated and acted upon. I hate to be a bother but the unanimous views on here persuaded me this was a time to be a nuisance.

The broader take home message from this story is to always make a nuisance of yourself when you think you *might* have a serious medical problem. Too many people in general, and men in particular, have a tendency not to want to, and some of them end up avoidably deceased as a result.
    My doctor used to go on about how, going to hospital/the doctor at the early signs of a problem saves you risk and money *and* saves the country money. It takes alot of unnecessary visits to A&E to add up to the cost of treating a major issue....
    As someone who thinks a great many people at A&E are malingerers who shouldn't be there and should see their GP instead at best ... That gives some food for thought.
    Many people attend A&E because their GP is unreachable. When trials have been made of GP type services at hospitals to filter the A&E queues, they have practically emptied them, at times.
    Not the case at my Trust. Triage in ED divides patients between the Onsite GPs and the hospital ED, but the wait is often 4 hours+.

Attendees are definitely up at the moment.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Obviously need to be a bit careful as really its only 40-50 year olds that have been fully vaccinated, but still. Quick look at the wider data, even oldie, yes there is escape, yes some are ending up in hospital, but we are talking small numbers, 50 over 50s have died after 2 doses (and that is before considering did they catch it before 2nd dose kicked in properly, did they have a load of other conditions, were they really really old)...

Before 2020, nobody would even report 50 old people dying of flu.

Oh and this is 1st Feb -> 21 June...50 oldies dying in 5 months, I mean you start to factor in everything else and you are literally talking near 0 deaths due to just COVID.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

ping said:

I genuinely feel sorry for Hancock’s family.

Wiki says he has 3 kids, I assume are school age. That’s gonna be nasty for them.

Where is the proof that Hancock is actually bonking this lady? Many will get involved to the extent of a good snog - which is all this CCTV shows - without taking things so far as a full physical relationship. At what point does it become adultery? Before or after the people concerned have slept together? Until the mid-1960s many couples engaged in 'courtship' for years and managed to abstain from full sex until the wedding night.
    The proof he broke his own covid rules is in the public domain

And he has admitted the affair
    Ok - but that still begs the question as to what is meant by 'having an affair'? If it went no further than a good snog, has he committed adultery?
    Who cares?

The issue is he broke his own distancing rules.

Whether he did that with his tongue or his penis isn't relevant at all.
    No, the issue is his motivation for appropriating his extraordinary power, wielding it, and most importantly of all, withholding its return.

It has emerged there are powerful reasons why Matt Hancock might not want to give British people their freedoms back, over and above any issues with regard to disease.

That is the issue.
    Ah, so lockdowns are nothing to do with Covid? Absurd.
    Now when we get to the nub of the matter, the central office shills appear. Ask Hancock what his motivation for imposing, maintaining and above all extending lockdown was.

It was the preservation of his extraordinary power. Power he manifestly got off on.
    Yes, nothing at all to do with Covid.
    At the beginning, COVID. Maybe

But now......FFS grow up.
    Yeah, it's all so he can keep having affairs, or something.
    Well if he was f8cking his mistress while telling you you that you could not hug your granny, or a dying relative, or someone you loved in a care home how seriously do you think he believed in his advice? How seriously did he believed in a policy he imposed without recourse to parliament or an election?
    Very seriously probably.

People are able to compartmentalise their own mistakes quite easily without it affecting their general views or principles.

You've still not given a reason you think as to why he wanted lockdown to be extended.
    I think @contrarian's is a good point. Like we have all discussed about the fire and brimstone preachers who preach fervently against homosexuality only to find out that they themselves are homosexual.

Take a moment to ponder. He was responsible for a policy which we were told was vital to save lives and the country's assets (NHS, etc). I mean does it get more important than that?

And he ignored it. He is a person of super discipline otherwise he wouldn't be in the position he is in today (for the moment) and yet those huge concerns of national importance were, in the end, not that important for him. Should they be for us, in which case?
    I think everyone agrees the hypocrisy and breaking his own rules is a serious problem.

But to pretend this shows that he doesn't actually have any reason to implement these rules? As opposed to just being a hypocrite which is bad enough?

That's conspiracy theory nonsense. The truth is bad enough.
    It's more than that. If he really, really thought that people should remain socially distanced, even loved ones, parents, children, grandparents, he would not have done that because he would, in so doing, have been instrumental in spreading the virus that he told us could devastate the country.

So it is possible he thought that social distancing rules weren't absolutely vital to prevent devastation of the country.
    Human psychology isn't that simple. People find ways to rationalise things that they know are wrong all the time.
  • Options
    That is utterly damming .. .and heart-breaking too
  • Options
    Kate Andrews destroying Hancock in the Speccie.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Matt Hancock's survival still changes Conservative party politics in a couple of ways, which I blog about here: https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2021/06/matt-hancock-will-survive-tory-politics-will-change-big-way

That is very much worth reading as it highlights Boris's real issue here. Hancock's screw up in being caught means he can't be promoted to solve a different problem Boris is going to have.
    The most encouraging snippet from that piece is Bush's conclusion that the restrictions will now have to go on July 19th - because Hancock's not going anywhere, and it would be politically unsustainable to drag out masks and social distancing whilst simultaneously having him in charge of the DHSC.

I won't be able to throw out all my gags, since I'm pretty certain we're going to be stuck with them at work for a while yet, but at least one will have to be ceremonially burned to celebrate.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,534

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Just went to get my second vaccine dose and the first thing the nurse raised in small talk was Hancock’s alleged affair violating Covid rules. Given this story seems to have the same cut through as Dominic Cummings’ trip to Barnard Castle it’ll be a tall order for him to survive.
    https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1408411191765053444

I think most people are just astonished that Hancock is getting so much sex.

He looks like a clapped out, pipsqueak circus pony.

So, it just takes a while to adjust mentally to the idea of Hancock, the Mighty Stallion.
    That's why pipsqueaks like Hancock want power. Power is an aphrodisiac, when they have little else to offer.

And it also why they are desperate to hang on to power. Without power, who the f8ck wants a man like Hancock? who would betray their family for him?

Charlie Brooker described Hancock as "your sister's first boyfriend with a car".
    That's brilliant. He has a definite gift, Charlie Brooker
    Black Mirror ranks amongst the very best drama ever, imo. It is magnificent, if not perhaps lockdown-friendly.
    TV Go Home, wot Brooker wrote, is very good. Originally a website, long gone, the book is worth a fiver of anyone’s money:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1841156752/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_X9FRYJHCXX7DATE9M82K

TV go home is a work of utter genius. A few residents of Daily Mail Island post here I think.
    Haha yes I think you're right!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,022
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Fantastic!

Not the case at my Trust. Triage in ED divides patients between the Onsite GPs and the hospital ED, but the wait is often 4 hours+.

I think Malmesbury point is that it reduces the A&E queue massively - the GP one is probably longer (as you say) but that's just a sit and wait queue which many GP surgery operate as well.

And people complain about taking hours out to see your GP but won't care about sitting for hours in A&E.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Fantastic!

I meant that the A&E queues mostly ended up seeing the GPs - and it was a GP they really wanted. At least, that was so a one of my local hospitals when they tried it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    As one of the replies says: ouch
  • Options
    Floater said:

He has to resign. This will be much worse than Cummings
  • Options

Stocky said:

Hancock?

LOL

Except of course, the instincts of most husbands are not strong enough to extend to abrogating and clinging on to the ancient liberties of the people of Great Britain for their fulfillment.

Like a dog with a bone you are.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Kate Andrews in the Speccie contends that Hancock has been one of the most aggressive of all cabinet ministers, pushing for laws instead of guidance etc. at every turn.

The matter is closed? what are number 10 on!!!
  • Options
    Floater said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Agreed.

Did you see the Lue Elizondo response to the question "if everybody found out what you knew, what would the next week be like?"
    I did. He has given up dancing round the issue hasn’t he and is speaking fairly plainly.

The Currant Bun had an interesting piece yesterday too, bringing the story of the fabled “Triangle Photo” to the masses.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15367584/pentagon-black-triangle-ufo-photo-fighter-pilot/

I caught up with someone lately for the first time in ages, who asked for my biggest stock tip. Highly sensible lad, not one to overdramatise anything. I said that I had no idea how to play it and it sounds outlandish, but the biggest external force on markets in the next couple of years will be confirmation of non human intelligence controlling UFO’s. He said: no that’s not outlandish. Seems obvious that’s where the Americans are going with this.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Under 50 and 2 weeks after being vaccinated with the second dose (with the first dose after 2 weeks you are significantly safer but not safe).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

ping said:

I genuinely feel sorry for Hancock’s family.

Wiki says he has 3 kids, I assume are school age. That’s gonna be nasty for them.

Where is the proof that Hancock is actually bonking this lady? Many will get involved to the extent of a good snog - which is all this CCTV shows - without taking things so far as a full physical relationship. At what point does it become adultery? Before or after the people concerned have slept together? Until the mid-1960s many couples engaged in 'courtship' for years and managed to abstain from full sex until the wedding night.
    The proof he broke his own covid rules is in the public domain

And he has admitted the affair
    Ok - but that still begs the question as to what is meant by 'having an affair'? If it went no further than a good snog, has he committed adultery?
    Who cares?

The issue is he broke his own distancing rules.

Whether he did that with his tongue or his penis isn't relevant at all.
    No, the issue is his motivation for appropriating his extraordinary power, wielding it, and most importantly of all, withholding its return.

It has emerged there are powerful reasons why Matt Hancock might not want to give British people their freedoms back, over and above any issues with regard to disease.

That is the issue.
    Ah, so lockdowns are nothing to do with Covid? Absurd.
    Now when we get to the nub of the matter, the central office shills appear. Ask Hancock what his motivation for imposing, maintaining and above all extending lockdown was.

It was the preservation of his extraordinary power. Power he manifestly got off on.
    Yes, nothing at all to do with Covid.
    At the beginning, COVID. Maybe

But now......FFS grow up.
    Yeah, it's all so he can keep having affairs, or something.
    Well if he was f8cking his mistress while telling you you that you could not hug your granny, or a dying relative, or someone you loved in a care home how seriously do you think he believed in his advice? How seriously did he believed in a policy he imposed without recourse to parliament or an election?
    Very seriously probably.

People are able to compartmentalise their own mistakes quite easily without it affecting their general views or principles.

You've still not given a reason you think as to why he wanted lockdown to be extended.
    I think @contrarian's is a good point. Like we have all discussed about the fire and brimstone preachers who preach fervently against homosexuality only to find out that they themselves are homosexual.

Take a moment to ponder. He was responsible for a policy which we were told was vital to save lives and the country's assets (NHS, etc). I mean does it get more important than that?

And he ignored it. He is a person of super discipline otherwise he wouldn't be in the position he is in today (for the moment) and yet those huge concerns of national importance were, in the end, not that important for him. Should they be for us, in which case?
    I think everyone agrees the hypocrisy and breaking his own rules is a serious problem.

But to pretend this shows that he doesn't actually have any reason to implement these rules? As opposed to just being a hypocrite which is bad enough?

That's conspiracy theory nonsense. The truth is bad enough.
    It's more than that. If he really, really thought that people should remain socially distanced, even loved ones, parents, children, grandparents, he would not have done that because he would, in so doing, have been instrumental in spreading the virus that he told us could devastate the country.

So it is possible he thought that social distancing rules weren't absolutely vital to prevent devastation of the country.
    Human psychology isn't that simple. People find ways to rationalise things that they know are wrong all the time.
    Yeah sure. But he is SoS for Health. Human psychology probably yearns to tell Nick Robinson or Andrew Neil to fuck off, for example, but if you are an SOS you don't. Likewise in other situations such as this one.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,076
    SandraMc said:

Re: the Hancock affair. Popbitch had an item yesterday that are rumours that all is not well with the Gove/Vine union. The timing seems a bit of a coincidence.

There cannot be any woman crazy enough on the planet to want to have any relationship with Gove. I cannot believe that.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,076
    Have we heard any news re DavidL @DavidL
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Hancock?

LOL

Like a dog with a bone you are.
    Or a man without a life.

Time to sign off and go and get one!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    50 over 50s who were fully vaccinated have died in 5 months with COVID....that astonishing given where we were a year ago. It really is a miracle.

Handy Cock is going to dominant the headline and should be on his bike, but we should be shouting the above from the rooftops....the plague is passing....a new dawn is breaking...and even new variants, we have the technology....
  • Options
    eek said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Fantastic!

I think Malmesbury point is that it reduces the A&E queue massively - the GP one is probably longer (as you say) but that's just a sit and wait queue which many GP surgery operate as well.

And people complain about taking hours out to see your GP but won't care about sitting for hours in A&E.
    The problem is getting an appointment in the first place to see your GP.

Many practices switch the phones on at 8am. At 8:05 all the appointments for the day are gone. Next week sometime....

So people without extreme speed dialling repeat skills don't get appointments....

In that case, no wonder people head to A&E.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Floater said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Agreed.

I did. He has given up dancing round the issue hasn’t he and is speaking fairly plainly.

The Currant Bun had an interesting piece yesterday too, bringing the story of the fabled “Triangle Photo” to the masses.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15367584/pentagon-black-triangle-ufo-photo-fighter-pilot/

I caught up with someone lately for the first time in ages, who asked for my biggest stock tip. Highly sensible lad, not one to overdramatise anything. I said that I had no idea how to play it and it sounds outlandish, but the biggest external force on markets in the next couple of years will be confirmation of non human intelligence controlling UFO’s. He said: no that’s not outlandish. Seems obvious that’s where the Americans are going with this.

I have a friend who has gone from complete, snarling disbelief, to advancing a theory that they have bases under the oceans, in about 3 months
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Fantastic!

GPs are in an absolubtely appalling place at the moment. I've got a blocked ear - now I don't think it's infected but I can't be 100% sure and I appreciate the NHS doesn't offer syringing but I'd have at least expected my surgery to you know offer to have a look at it in case they decide perhaps I should be on antibiotics. Hopefully the ear drops I got from the chemist will do the trick but I'm not impressed.
    What the hell is going on
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Fantastic!

That's absolutely true in general but it's the opposite if you're prone to panic attacks. There, the challenge is to detect what is real from what seems real. By definition this is quite difficult.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

What non-political people don't like is politicians taking the piss. That's the issue here for Hancock - and for Johnson now he has backed Hancock.

Yes, Hancock will be a figure of fun.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

@Leon

I first went to Mallorca when Fox Jr was 9/12 and we wanted some where handy with sun and beach. I didn't expect too much, but it was lovely, and we have been back 5 times over the years.

Inland is very different to the tourist trap resorts, but even these have moved upmarket over the years and some of the quieter bays are gorgeous. Palma itself is very interesting, but go in the afternoon and it is closed. Morning for shopping and evening for dining. The north coast is cooler in the summer, with a welcome breeze.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

He hasn’t logged in here since 10:25 last night, so that is a little worrying
    This is concerning. Does anyone here have his phone number?
    I'm assuming OGH and Robert do as a requirement to sign up.

It's bonkers. We don't know each other on here, we all might have walked past each other a thousand times on the high street, and what is PB, it is an internet chat room, an anonymous one at that and yet this is extremely worrying and I feel the situation as though it was a friend.
    We are friends, let's face it. We're a bunch of old gits, gathering every day in a rickety pub to exchange village gossip and well-known opinions. We have in-jokes and backstory, we have feuds and alliances, we are a weird community of characters. Virtual, but real

If a PB-er gets ill I feel it

I was genuinely sad to hear about Plato, yet I never met her
    You're an old softy at heart :)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Much news has been forthcoming (see downthread.) Trip to hospital, diagnosed with blood clot. Alive and well, if not quite 100%.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Fantastic!

GPs are in an absolubtely appalling place at the moment. I've got a blocked ear - now I don't think it's infected but I can't be 100% sure and I appreciate the NHS doesn't offer syringing but I'd have at least expected my surgery to you know offer to have a look at it in case they decide perhaps I should be on antibiotics. Hopefully the ear drops I got from the chemist will do the trick but I'm not impressed.
    Syringing is horrible. Get the wax cleared out by microsuction if you can. Quite a few high St places do so.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited June 2021

isam said:

Boris will probably be seen as strong and decisive and get a poll boost if he sacks Hancock for this - but if he doesn’t it could be the end of him

The only way Johnson can sack Hancock is for breaching social distancing rules. He can hardly chuck him under the bus for any alleged infidelity, can he?
    Yes for breaking social distancing rules. I don’t think people should be sacked for alleged infidelity whether their boss has done it or not
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    malcolmg said:

He was having a nice quiet day in hospital until TSE woke him up.
  • Options

isam said:

moonshine said:

Yeah I think this is a big deal if he doesn’t get rid of him. No one will take Hancock seriously on Covid now
    Does anyone take the PM seriously? What is the difference. The debasing of the Tory Party continues at pace.
    Yes, one fears for the Tory Party. It will be left in dire straits after Johnson has had his wicked way with it. Worth it for a quick Brexit? Not for me to say, I suppose, being not a Tory and not a Leaver.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I agree completely that's the issue not the infidelity.

The question to ask is if most people get annoyed by this, or take the piss out of it. By the increasing prevalence of "Eat Out To Help Out" and similar remarks being made, its likely to be the latter.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    maaarsh said:

Pulpstar said:

Northern Ireland is definitely falling behind in the vaccine rollout, bit less than 80% of adults there - England and Scotland up to over 83%.

Meanwhile this qualifies as an excellent day's number for Nicola after near as dammit hitting 3k for the last 2 days.
    The small print is that they think there are lab delays, so the number is understated by ~1000.

So not much difference to last two days.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Agreed.

I have a friend who has gone from complete, snarling disbelief, to advancing a theory that they have bases under the oceans, in about 3 months
    Fixed that for everyone else who has read your posts over the past three months.

I hope it helps but I doubt it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Agreed, and politically that's survivable, even if it shouldn't be.

Genuine anger is a problem, being a butt of jokes is not really nowadays.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,335
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

isam said:

The only way Johnson can sack Hancock is for breaching social distancing rules. He can hardly chuck him under the bus for any alleged infidelity, can he?
    Yes for breaking social distancing rules. I don’t think people should be sacked for alleged infidelity whether their boss has done it or not
    Archbishop of Canterbury? The Pope (with caveats)?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Johnson sacking somebody for philandering would lay him wide open to the charge of being a rank hypocrite.
    I don't think the shagging around is really the problem. I think in general the public don't actually care that much about people having affairs anymore (Justin124 aside).

I think it is more who is shagging around with in office hours (in the office) in the middle of a pandemic.
    I must be unusual then. For me, cheating on his wife marks him down far more than this 'hypocrisy' bollox. Hypocrisy has to be the most overattacked vice there is. We're all hypocrites. We don't all cheat on our partners.
    That is a good point. We are all hypocrites in one form or another. Part of me wonders how much of the outrage comes from those who are going "I wish I could have an affair" *

I think that I am very old fashioned about this. To me, it is a moral question. If you have an affair you risk causing great hurt to another to whom you made serious promises. You do so for your own selfish desires. It’s wrong and I think less of those that do.
    If a marriage is at an end end it. This happens and we are human. But cheating is a character flaw and really not great for someone Cumming’s has claimed is an inveterate liar.
    A word of caution. We aren't privy to the secrets of Matt Hancock's marriage. Perhaps it is an open marriage. Perhaps they like consensual polyamory. Perhaps she also takes lovers.

We don't know it's "cheating". It is definitely embarrassing, and he should probably resign for the flagrant breaking of lockdown rules - but he should not resign for having sex

Nearly 40k items of wit and wisdom, occasionally even correct and I get the most likes ever for being alive.

Hmmm
    But if you do it again next week it won't work. We're pretty shrewd on here. You'll be busted.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

If genuine anger / resentment is there it will build up slowly until the problem manifests itself in polling (at which point it may be too late).

And I suspect this is the sort of story that will build up resentment even as people joke about it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

@Leon

I first went to Mallorca when Fox Jr was 9/12 and we wanted some where handy with sun and beach. I didn't expect too much, but it was lovely, and we have been back 5 times over the years.

Inland is very different to the tourist trap resorts, but even these have moved upmarket over the years and some of the quieter bays are gorgeous. Palma itself is very interesting, but go in the afternoon and it is closed. Morning for shopping and evening for dining. The north coast is cooler in the summer, with a welcome breeze.
    The BBC afternoon cop mismatch programme The Mallorca Files, https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000bqkm, shows off the island quite well.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Let’s face it - for those who favour lifting of restrictions shortly, the fact that he’s not been sacked is a pretty good indication that they will be.

Which probably goes a long way to explaining why these pictures made it into the media...
  • Options
    eek said:

Sean_F said:

If genuine anger / resentment is there it will build up slowly until the problem manifests itself in polling (at which point it may be too late).

And I suspect this is the sort of story that will build up resentment even as people joke about it.
    I think the genuine anger/resentment would be unsurmountable if lockdown is extended again.

Which is a good reason why it won't be. Thankfully!
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Doubt it's an open marriage. Not the Hancocks.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Certainly, but his hypocrisy affects us as hes in a position of power, his being a shagger doesnt affect us.

The two are just coinciding for now.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    isam said:

isam said:

Now, if the boss has broken social distancing rules in the same manner as Hancock - not inconceivable - then sacking Hancock would be a problematic route to him..
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Just went to get my second vaccine dose and the first thing the nurse raised in small talk was Hancock’s alleged affair violating Covid rules. Given this story seems to have the same cut through as Dominic Cummings’ trip to Barnard Castle it’ll be a tall order for him to survive.

So, it just takes a while to adjust mentally to the idea of Hancock, the Mighty Stallion.
    That's why pipsqueaks like Hancock want power. Power is an aphrodisiac, when they have little else to offer.

And it also why they are desperate to hang on to power. Without power, who the f8ck wants a man like Hancock? who would betray their family for him?
    Like your men a bit bigger, do you?
  • Options
    eek said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Agreed.

Fixed that for everyone else who has read your posts over the past three months.

Again, this is a bit feeble. You have to explain why very very senior people in the American military/political elite are saying such incredible things.

Here is another one. The former Secretary of the US Navy, and a highly respected officer with record-breaking tenure. James Mabius. Not obviously mad
    "
    It’s not a one off thing. Yeah it’s worth looking into,” declared Mabus. “I mean say it’s not aliens. Say it’s some other nation that is perfecting that technology or using some strange technology just off the U.S. coasts. Doubtful! But that is still something that would be good to know. Not just out of human curiosity, but also national security. It would be good to know if there’s something going on here. Plus, if something else is trying to contact us, it’s not like that would be a layup shot.”

Given that the DoD’s public messaging has been chaotic, and the pending Congressional report on UAP, I asked Mabus if he felt like something truly unknown would be difficult for the Pentagon to talk about with the American people.“You know, the DoD doesn’t say very often, ‘we don’t know,” Mabus laughed. “That’s a pretty stunning revelation right there.” "

https://thedebrief.org/devices-of-unknown-origin-part-iii-mr-secretary-we-dont-know/?utm_sq=grurqblogs
  • Options
    Just seen a clip of Ledbetter being harangued in Batley and Spen. Vile stuff
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,190
    Do you think Matt Hancock should resign or remain in his role?

ALL BRITS
    Resign 49% / Remain 25%

CON VOTERS
    Resign 33% / Remain 44%

LAB VOTERS
    Resign 73% / Remain 9%

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2021/06/25/5e96b/1?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=daily_questions&utm_campaign=question_1 https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1408429823899361283/photo/1
  • Options

They appear to have launched a Matt Hancock Evisceration Festival. Amongst the other pieces being performed, this:

Nine times Matt Hancock told us to obey the rules

February 9, 2021: Ten years in jail for Covid returnees
    February 1, 2021 ‘Don’t even think about stretching Covid rules’
    January 10, 2021: Matt Hancock claims flexing of rules 'could be fatal'
    September 24, 2020: Hancock warns people to 'be sensible' when having sex during lockdown
    September 7, 2020: 'Young people' flouting social distancing could cause rise in cases
    July 5 2020: Threatens to shut down non-compliant businesses
    June 25, 2020: Threatens to close the beaches
    May 6, 2020: Hancock claims Neil Ferguson 'right' to resign
    April 5, 2020: Hancock threatens to ban outdoor exercise

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/nine-times-matt-hancock-told-us-to-obey-the-rules

Each instance is accompanied by a helpful explanation of the Hancockian hypocrisy involved.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Fantastic!

Syringing is horrible. Get the wax cleared out by microsuction if you can. Quite a few high St places do so.
    My GP did it a couple of years ago (well the practice nurse did), so I'm not sure about the comment that it is not available on the NHS.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Serious point - the photo shows a kiss only. Plenty of 'frisson' relationships don't go beyond that.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    maaarsh said:

Pulpstar said:

Possible lab delay
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

He hasn’t logged in here since 10:25 last night, so that is a little worrying
    This is concerning. Does anyone here have his phone number?
    I'm assuming OGH and Robert do as a requirement to sign up.

It's bonkers. We don't know each other on here, we all might have walked past each other a thousand times on the high street, and what is PB, it is an internet chat room, an anonymous one at that and yet this is extremely worrying and I feel the situation as though it was a friend.
    We are friends, let's face it. We're a bunch of old gits, gathering every day in a rickety pub to exchange village gossip and well-known opinions. We have in-jokes and backstory, we have feuds and alliances, we are a weird community of characters. Virtual, but real

If a PB-er gets ill I feel it

I was genuinely sad to hear about Plato, yet I never met her
    Hmm, Plato left this forum well before Leon joined.

Could it be that Leon previously posted here under a different (far more identifiable) alias? Although I don't think case of the reappearing poster is a sufficiently interesting story to be the basis of an international best selling novel.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,335
    Pro_Rata said:

isam said:

isam said:

Now, if the boss has broken social distancing rules in the same manner as Hancock - not inconceivable - then sacking Hancock would be a problematic route to him..
    In that case, best for Johnson to er on the side of caution and keep Hancock in post.

No news seems particularly disadvantageous for this government, so if Boris is minded to keep him in post, he will.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    "Hancock's half hour? He could barely last three minutes!"
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Indeed. He broke the rules that every other frigging night he was imploring us to obey to save lives.

Throw him out. Now.

Or face a weekend of terrible headlines. I hope the tabloids throw the bus at him now.

Hopefully the anger amongst grassroots members will filter up via the whips in the next day or so.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    malcolmg said:

SandraMc said:

Re: the Hancock affair. Popbitch had an item yesterday that are rumours that all is not well with the Gove/Vine union. The timing seems a bit of a coincidence.

There cannot be any woman crazy enough on the planet to want to have any relationship with Gove. I cannot believe that.
    How about Salmond?
  • Options
    Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Floater said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Agreed.

Again, this is a bit feeble. You have to explain why very very senior people in the American military/political elite are saying such incredible things.

Here is another one. The former Secretary of the US Navy, and a highly respected officer with record-breaking tenure. James Mabius. Not obviously mad
    "
    It’s not a one off thing. Yeah it’s worth looking into,” declared Mabus. “I mean say it’s not aliens. Say it’s some other nation that is perfecting that technology or using some strange technology just off the U.S. coasts. Doubtful! But that is still something that would be good to know. Not just out of human curiosity, but also national security. It would be good to know if there’s something going on here. Plus, if something else is trying to contact us, it’s not like that would be a layup shot.”

Given that the DoD’s public messaging has been chaotic, and the pending Congressional report on UAP, I asked Mabus if he felt like something truly unknown would be difficult for the Pentagon to talk about with the American people.“You know, the DoD doesn’t say very often, ‘we don’t know,” Mabus laughed. “That’s a pretty stunning revelation right there.” "

https://thedebrief.org/devices-of-unknown-origin-part-iii-mr-secretary-we-dont-know/?utm_sq=grurqblogs
    Oh I know all that - that post was there to tease (as was my previous one).
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Serious point - the photo shows a kiss only. Plenty of 'frisson' relationships don't go beyond that.
    Nah mate its just that you have trouble getting past first base.....
  • Options
    Scotland is actually over it's winter peak for known cases now.
  • Options

They appear to have launched a Matt Hancock Evisceration Festival. Amongst the other pieces being performed, this:

Nine times Matt Hancock told us to obey the rules

February 9, 2021: Ten years in jail for Covid returnees
    February 1, 2021 ‘Don’t even think about stretching Covid rules’
    January 10, 2021: Matt Hancock claims flexing of rules 'could be fatal'
    September 24, 2020: Hancock warns people to 'be sensible' when having sex during lockdown
    September 7, 2020: 'Young people' flouting social distancing could cause rise in cases
    July 5 2020: Threatens to shut down non-compliant businesses
    June 25, 2020: Threatens to close the beaches
    May 6, 2020: Hancock claims Neil Ferguson 'right' to resign
    April 5, 2020: Hancock threatens to ban outdoor exercise

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/nine-times-matt-hancock-told-us-to-obey-the-rules

Each instance is accompanied by a helpful explanation of the Hancockian hypocrisy involved.
    He's bang to rights with the last one. This was definitely outdoor exercise.
  • Options

Floater said:

Kate Andrews in the Speccie contends that Hancock has been one of the most aggressive of all cabinet ministers, pushing for laws instead of guidance etc. at every turn.

Buying time - they dont have worry about flailing about, and can prepare a strategy.

Kicked to another role now looks unlikely, so I'm still with that he'll 'choose' to step aside for some personal time after a year of demanding work, once restrictions end.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    On topic, the value is surely DeSantis here: successful Governor in swing state, who navigated Covid well, and who is both Trumpy, but isn't actual Trump.

The interesting question here is what happens if Trump decides to run. If he does, one can assume that those who would seek his blessing in the future (Hayley, DeSantis for example) will not wish to stand against him.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Russia reports 20,393 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase since January, and 601 new deaths

These unvaccinated nations (or ones using vaccines with poor efficacy) are going to get absolutely hammered again.
  • Options
    Where the heck is @BluestBlue ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

On topic, the value is surely DeSantis here: successful Governor in swing state, who navigated Covid well, and who is both Trumpy, but isn't actual Trump.

The interesting question here is what happens if Trump decides to run. If he does, one can assume that those who would seek his blessing in the future (Hayley, DeSantis for example) will not wish to stand against him.

In a land without Trump DeSantis would now my current pick.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

"Soaring" over the peak.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

"Soaring" over the peak.
    What do you think has caused the Edinburgh spike ?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Pulpstar said:

Do you mind me asking, by whom, and for what?

Was it activists form a different party?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Floater said:

Buying time - they dont have worry about flailing about, and can prepare a strategy.

Kicked to another role now looks unlikely, so I'm still with that he'll 'choose' to step aside for some personal time after a year of demanding work, once restrictions end.
    Letting him linger until after 17th July doesn’t suck the poison from the wound for the boss though. It makes him look a weakling.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

In a land without Trump.
    Snipped, as that's the dream right there.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Just a random one apropos of nothing - took a train trip to the Ayrshire coast today. Bearing in mind my home station is a small one but a relative handful of stops from Glasgow Central and therefore a big commuter line, ticket office guy was very downbeat in telling me that last year takings were 10% of pre-pandemic levels and still at the moment only running at about 20-30% of pre-pandemic levels.

In a way absolutely not surprising, but it was a stark reminder that the railways continue to be as stuffed as a lot of the other industries in this post-lockdown-but-pre-freedom limbo we are in at the moment.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

SandraMc said:

How about Salmond?
    Salmond and Gove are having a fling??? :smiley:
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    Stocky said:

Where the heck is @BluestBlue ?

I often wondered if his real name was Matt Hancock
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

@Leon

I used to stay on Formantera, which allowed you to go clubbing in Ibiza, and then hang out on a pretty, quiet, chill island.

Not that I actually did go clubbing in Ibiza. But I could have done if it's wanted to.
  • Options

In which case how do we explain the appeal of Boris Johnson, for whom 'taking the piss' is life's very purpose?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1408431105485705217
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    BigRich said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm assuming it's from voters Labour would consider 'theirs' and fits in to the pattern of ignoring homophobia or anti-semitism if its electorally damaging to challenge it that they've gone for.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,166
    kinabalu said:

In which case how do we explain the appeal of Boris Johnson, for whom 'taking the piss' is life's very purpose?
    A lot of people don't realise they are the target of his piss-taking, yet.
  • Options
    Letter fired off to my MP.

I am f*cking furious. :rage::rage:
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

A passionate kiss.

It is always very heart-warming to know that the ugly or stupid or flawed or damaged are still passionately loved.

And, who would have thought Hancock is such a fox ?
This discussion has been closed.