Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump at a 25% chance looks value for the WH2024 GOP nomination – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298

God we are a country of lily-livered aren't we...its 10 sodding days, watch sodding Netflix, piss about on the internet. It hardly like you are in solitary Steve McQueen stylee.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9724613/Couple-forced-eat-cold-wet-difficult-digest-food-stuck-stuffy-room.html

The food situation in the quarantine hotels does seem to be awful. I heard from my colleague who went through it that they would hear people in other rooms shouting out at midnight that they still hadn't received any food for the evening.

There's no excuse for not being able to run the places properly, but some mate of the government has the contract and their determined to wring as much money from it as possible.
    I do wonder whether this "government by contracts to mates from uni" will finally do for this shower?
    I hope that happens before Dido Harding takes over as head of the NHS. Someone with her record at TalkTalk should never have been allowed anywhere near public office. But no. A case of "Great CV you've got there, Dido". Hello to the Track and Trace fiasco... and now CEO of the NHS? Putin would blush!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Scott_xP said:

Contemptuous lobby briefing in which No 10 refuses to answer qs on whether Hancock broke the law or ministerial code. Says the PM has accepted his apology and 'considers the matter closed' followed by half an hour of epic stonewalling
    https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1408402273844269057

Followed by half an hour of questions on summer holidays?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,166
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Completely O/T - but i don't suppose anyone has had any further news today in relation to DavidL? It's all very concerning if not.

Yes, was rather concerning about @DavidL. Hope he’s okay and in hospital.
    Yes, that was scary

Has anyone heard from him?
    I am pleased to report that tales of my demise are somewhat exaggerated.
    I took the advice on here last night and called 999. I spent a somewhat uncomfortable night but feel somewhat better today. Still waiting for a scan but it looks like a blood clot.
    Thanks very much for the concern, it was much appreciated.
    Great news. All the best for a full and swift recovery. Are you in Ninewells? (apologies if I've misremembered, I have you down as our Tayside correspondent). If so, at least you'll have a nice view.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Boris will probably be seen as strong and decisive and get a poll boost if he sacks Hancock for this - but if he doesn’t it could be the end of him

Johnson sacking somebody for philandering would lay him wide open to the charge of being a rank hypocrite.
    I don't think the shagging around is really the problem. I think in general the public don't actually care that much about people having affairs anymore (Justin124 aside).

I think it is more who is shagging around with in office hours (in the office) in the middle of a pandemic.
    I must be unusual then. For me, cheating on his wife marks him down far more than this 'hypocrisy' bollox. Hypocrisy has to be the most overattacked vice there is. We're all hypocrites. We don't all cheat on our partners.
    That is a good point. We are all hypocrites in one form or another. Part of me wonders how much of the outrage comes from those who are going "I wish I could have an affair" *

* mind you, it's not a flattering photo on the BBC website.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Completely O/T - but i don't suppose anyone has had any further news today in relation to DavidL? It's all very concerning if not.

Yes, that was scary

He hasn’t logged in here since 10:25 last night, so that is a little worrying
    This is concerning. Does anyone here have his phone number?
    I'm assuming OGH and Robert do as a requirement to sign up.

It's bonkers. We don't know each other on here, we all might have walked past each other a thousand times on the high street, and what is PB, it is an internet chat room, an anonymous one at that and yet this is extremely worrying and I feel the situation as though it was a friend.
    We are friends, let's face it. We're a bunch of old gits, gathering every day in a rickety pub to exchange village gossip and well-known opinions. We have in-jokes and backstory, we have feuds and alliances, we are a weird community of characters. Virtual, but real

If a PB-er gets ill I feel it

I was genuinely sad to hear about Plato, yet I never met her
    We must hope. He went to hospital. Had some tests. And is having a good, long kip under supervision, after a late, frantic night.
    That is what I am praying for anyway.
    And his phone battery ran out. Not that updating PB would be, I hope, among his top 100 priorities.
    A small note - I keep a battery charger bank charged and to hand, so if I have to take any of the family to hospital, I can ensure staying in touch. It can recharge a mobile about 5 times. It has been very useful in the past.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

ping said:

I genuinely feel sorry for Hancock’s family.

Wiki says he has 3 kids, I assume are school age. That’s gonna be nasty for them.

Where is the proof that Hancock is actually bonking this lady? Many will get involved to the extent of a good snog - which is all this CCTV shows - without taking things so far as a full physical relationship. At what point does it become adultery? Before or after the people concerned have slept together? Until the mid-1960s many couples engaged in 'courtship' for years and managed to abstain from full sex until the wedding night.
    The proof he broke his own covid rules is in the public domain

And he has admitted the affair
    Ok - but that still begs the question as to what is meant by 'having an affair'? If it went no further than a good snog, has he committed adultery?
    Who cares?

The issue is he broke his own distancing rules.

Whether he did that with his tongue or his penis isn't relevant at all.
    No, the issue is his motivation for appropriating his extraordinary power, wielding it, and most importantly of all, withholding its return.

It has emerged there are powerful reasons why Matt Hancock might not want to give British people their freedoms back, over and above any issues with regard to disease.

That is the issue.
    Ah, so lockdowns are nothing to do with Covid? Absurd.
    Now when we get to the nub of the matter, the central office shills appear. Ask Hancock what his motivation for imposing, maintaining and above all extending lockdown was.

It was the preservation of his extraordinary power. Power he manifestly got off on.
    Yes, nothing at all to do with Covid.
    At the beginning, COVID. Maybe

But now......FFS grow up.
    Yeah, it's all so he can keep having affairs, or something.
    Well if he was f8cking his mistress while telling you you that you could not hug your granny, or a dying relative, or someone you loved in a care home how seriously do you think he believed in his advice? How seriously did he believed in a policy he imposed without recourse to parliament or an election?
    Very seriously probably.

People are able to compartmentalise their own mistakes quite easily without it affecting their general views or principles.

You've still not given a reason you think as to why he wanted lockdown to be extended.
    I think @contrarian's is a good point. Like we have all discussed about the fire and brimstone preachers who preach fervently against homosexuality only to find out that they themselves are homosexual.

Take a moment to ponder. He was responsible for a policy which we were told was vital to save lives and the country's assets (NHS, etc). I mean does it get more important than that?

And he ignored it. He is a person of super discipline otherwise he wouldn't be in the position he is in today (for the moment) and yet those huge concerns of national importance were, in the end, not that important for him. Should they be for us, in which case?
    I think everyone agrees the hypocrisy and breaking his own rules is a serious problem.

But to pretend this shows that he doesn't actually have any reason to implement these rules? As opposed to just being a hypocrite which is bad enough?

That's conspiracy theory nonsense. The truth is bad enough.
    It's more than that. If he really, really thought that people should remain socially distanced, even loved ones, parents, children, grandparents, he would not have done that because he would, in so doing, have been instrumental in spreading the virus that he told us could devastate the country.

So it is possible he thought that social distancing rules weren't absolutely vital to prevent devastation of the country.
    It isn;t just possible, it is probable he thought that.

He got off on making people do what he wanted. In bending them to his will. Obviously. Manifestly.
    What evidence do you have that he got off on that?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Scott_xP said:

Labour: “This matter is definitely not closed, despite the Government’s attempts to cover it up.

“Matt Hancock appears to have been caught breaking the laws he created while having a secret relationship with an aide he appointed to a taxpayer-funded job."

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1408408440469348356

It's the hypocrisy and the fact we paid for her to work for him, that will errr finish Matt Hancock off.
    One law for us. One for 'them'
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Scott_xP said:

Matt Hancock's survival still changes Conservative party politics in a couple of ways, which I blog about here: https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2021/06/matt-hancock-will-survive-tory-politics-will-change-big-way

That is very much worth reading as it highlights Boris's real issue here. Hancock's screw up in being caught means he can't be promoted to solve a different problem Boris is going to have.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited June 2021

Scott_xP said:

Labour: “This matter is definitely not closed, despite the Government’s attempts to cover it up.

“Matt Hancock appears to have been caught breaking the laws he created while having a secret relationship with an aide he appointed to a taxpayer-funded job."

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1408408440469348356

It's the hypocrisy and the fact we paid for her to work for him, that will errr finish Matt Hancock off.
    Not sure about “will”

“Should”
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

I've dropped DavidL an email asking how he is.

I also have his mobile number and will buzz that later if he doesn't reply to the email.

TSE, I know its a bit old fashioned, but you could Text him, and phone if he does not reply? if he is not on here it may be he is not looking at computer today?

And please whish he all the best for us.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    BigRich said:

I also have his mobile number and will buzz that later if he doesn't reply to the email.

TSE, I know its a bit old fashioned, but you could Text him, and phone if he does not reply? if he is not on here it may be he is not looking at computer today?

DavidL has posted - he isn't 100% but he is alive.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Leon said:

isam said:

I’d say buzz it now
    Yes, why wait? The worst it can do is interrupt him in a meeting or something

At best, we will know he is OK, or not. I am sure he is fine but it is unsettling
    Have done so.

On WhatsApp he was active a few minutes ago.
    Just rejoice at that news.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791

Scott_xP said:

No10 confirm @BorisJohnson is not sacking @MattHancock

The decision not to sack Hancock begs the question of which mistress Johnson was shagging in early May?
    Possibly the same one? After you Matt? No after you Prime Minister.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Boris will probably be seen as strong and decisive and get a poll boost if he sacks Hancock for this - but if he doesn’t it could be the end of him

Johnson sacking somebody for philandering would lay him wide open to the charge of being a rank hypocrite.
    Not at all, because the problem here is not morality but the touchy feeliness with skneknd outside his immediate household during the ‘ don’t hug granny’ era
    What are you meant to do with 'skneknd'?

Having first told me who or what it is.
    Sorry that was meant to say ‘someone’
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

ping said:

Wiki says he has 3 kids, I assume are school age. That’s gonna be nasty for them.

Where is the proof that Hancock is actually bonking this lady? Many will get involved to the extent of a good snog - which is all this CCTV shows - without taking things so far as a full physical relationship. At what point does it become adultery? Before or after the people concerned have slept together? Until the mid-1960s many couples engaged in 'courtship' for years and managed to abstain from full sex until the wedding night.

Ok - but that still begs the question as to what is meant by 'having an affair'? If it went no further than a good snog, has he committed adultery?
    Who cares?

No, the issue is his motivation for appropriating his extraordinary power, wielding it, and most importantly of all, withholding its return.

It has emerged there are powerful reasons why Matt Hancock might not want to give British people their freedoms back, over and above any issues with regard to disease.

That is the issue.
    Now when we get to the nub of the matter, the central office shills appear. Ask Hancock what his motivation for imposing, maintaining and above all extending lockdown was.

It was the preservation of his extraordinary power. Power he manifestly got off on.

Well if he was f8cking his mistress while telling you you that you could not hug your granny, or a dying relative, or someone you loved in a care home how seriously do you think he believed in his advice? How seriously did he believed in a policy he imposed without recourse to parliament or an election?
    Yes, that's hypocrisy, but to argue that it was his motivation for the restrictions in the first place is quite frankly absurd.
    Maybe in the beginning it wasn't his motivation.

Now, it undoubtedly is. He is hanging on because he loves the power paradise we have given him.
    Again, absurd. You are arguing his sole motivation for continuing the lockdown (which isn't his final decision anyway) is to have an affair.
    No I am arguing that his main motivation for continuing lockdown, against mounting evidence the pandemic is over, is his exalted position. A position that would be significantly denuded were the extraordinary powers to end.

I know this because we know that whilst people were suffering under the rules he imposed, Hancock was f8cking his mistress.

And I'm arguing that is absurd. Since it isn't his final decision anyway.
    You are arguing this is absurd with no evidence though. That's because there isn't any. The case against Hancock is overwhelming.
    My primary piece of evidence is that it isn't his final decision.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,177
    Labour not beating about the bush today… https://twitter.com/angelarayner/status/1408409194621976576
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

I took the advice on here last night and called 999. I spent a somewhat uncomfortable night but feel somewhat better today. Still waiting for a scan but it looks like a blood clot.
    Excellent news - take care of yourself
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Great news. All the best for a full and swift recovery. Are you in Ninewells? (apologies if I've misremembered, I have you down as our Tayside correspondent). If so, at least you'll have a nice view.
    I am in the Royal in Edinburgh as I was there for work.
    Hopefully home tomorrow
  • Options
    Labour adds: The Prime Minister recently described Matt Hancock as “useless” - the fact that even now he still can’t sack him shows how spineless he is.”
    https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1408409740993040386
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

I don't think the shagging around is really the problem. I think in general the public don't actually care that much about people having affairs anymore (Justin124 aside).

I think it is more who is shagging around with in office hours (in the office) in the middle of a pandemic.
    I must be unusual then. For me, cheating on his wife marks him down far more than this 'hypocrisy' bollox. Hypocrisy has to be the most overattacked vice there is. We're all hypocrites. We don't all cheat on our partners.
    That is a good point. We are all hypocrites in one form or another. Part of me wonders how much of the outrage comes from those who are going "I wish I could have an affair" *

You admitting to fantasising about an affair with Hancock? Each to their own mate.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_xP said:

Labour not beating about the bush today… https://twitter.com/angelarayner/status/1408409194621976576

Unlike Hancock....... :blush:
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

ping said:

Who cares?

That is the issue.

Very seriously probably.

People are able to compartmentalise their own mistakes quite easily without it affecting their general views or principles.

You've still not given a reason you think as to why he wanted lockdown to be extended.
    I think @contrarian's is a good point. Like we have all discussed about the fire and brimstone preachers who preach fervently against homosexuality only to find out that they themselves are homosexual.

Take a moment to ponder. He was responsible for a policy which we were told was vital to save lives and the country's assets (NHS, etc). I mean does it get more important than that?

And he ignored it. He is a person of super discipline otherwise he wouldn't be in the position he is in today (for the moment) and yet those huge concerns of national importance were, in the end, not that important for him. Should they be for us, in which case?
    I think everyone agrees the hypocrisy and breaking his own rules is a serious problem.

But to pretend this shows that he doesn't actually have any reason to implement these rules? As opposed to just being a hypocrite which is bad enough?

That's conspiracy theory nonsense. The truth is bad enough.
    It's more than that. If he really, really thought that people should remain socially distanced, even loved ones, parents, children, grandparents, he would not have done that because he would, in so doing, have been instrumental in spreading the virus that he told us could devastate the country.

So it is possible he thought that social distancing rules weren't absolutely vital to prevent devastation of the country.
    It isn;t just possible, it is probable he thought that.

He got off on making people do what he wanted. In bending them to his will. Obviously. Manifestly.
    What evidence do you have that he got off on that?
    It is certainly plausible. No one has evidence for anything but the hypothesis has merit.

He liked and likes being the person that waves his hand and the country falls to its knees.

That would only be human. Look at the extraordinary, unprecedented power he has wielded these past 15 months. Is it his final decision? Just about - what would a PM do if his health secretary during a health scare disagreed with him?
  • Options
    The deputy political editor of the Sun, Kate Ferguson, has just accused No. 10 of 'massive contempt' for the public. This is not going away. Not by a long chalk.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Fervently hope there isn't footage to verify the 'eat out' component

Sorry in advance but I was wondering if the same camera 2 minutes later captured him nailing her in that 'up against the wall' configuration that's far more common in steamy dramas than it is in real life.
    The knee trembler. It isn't easy. Better if you are drunk

I did it once with a sweet Scottish girl in the corridor of an empty train back from Lewes to London: the last train on a hot summer's night

At least, we thought it was empty. But a middle-aged Indian gentleman came down the corridor, caught us at it, and politely said "Good evening" and then he walked on, entirely unfazed. Very dudely behaviour
    I didn't realize it had a name. For me, a knee trembler is a short putt for par. So called because your knees tremble as you attempt it and this can easily cause you to miss the hole.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Labour adds: The Prime Minister recently described Matt Hancock as “useless” - the fact that even now he still can’t sack him shows how spineless he is.”

Point of order: he didn't recently say it.

He said it apparently while frustrated more than a year ago. Which feels like a lifetime ago.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Scott_xP said:

Have we considered the possibility that this is a dead cat thingy?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

That’s fantastic!

I guess you might be able to identify yourself on the “Yellow card list” (or whatever it’s called), now?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Fantastic!

Don't *ever* do that to us again. Or it's grounded for you young lad.
    Your advice was appreciated and acted upon. I hate to be a bother but the unanimous views on here persuaded me this was a time to be a nuisance.
    Wait 'til we tell you who to bet on in the "next out of the cabinet" market.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

I'm not sure how much it will resonate. It was 6 May this year I think so 11 days before restrictions were lifted. At that point I think most people offered a leg over would have happily obliged.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

You admitting to fantasising about an affair with Hancock? Each to their own mate.
    Errr, no. Any more than you would admit to fantasising about an affair with Keir Starmer.
  • Options
    So we've had the now familiar Governmental two-step:
    1. One rule for us, one rule for you; and
    2. We command you to stop objecting to our behaviour (aka "the matter is now closed").

https://twitter.com/seanjonesqc/status/1408411601200365568
  • Options

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

It's bonkers. We don't know each other on here, we all might have walked past each other a thousand times on the high street, and what is PB, it is an internet chat room, an anonymous one at that and yet this is extremely worrying and I feel the situation as though it was a friend.
    We are friends, let's face it. We're a bunch of old gits, gathering every day in a rickety pub to exchange village gossip and well-known opinions. We have in-jokes and backstory, we have feuds and alliances, we are a weird community of characters. Virtual, but real

We must hope. He went to hospital. Had some tests. And is having a good, long kip under supervision, after a late, frantic night.
    And his phone battery ran out. Not that updating PB would be, I hope, among his top 100 priorities.
    A small note - I keep a battery charger bank charged and to hand, so if I have to take any of the family to hospital, I can ensure staying in touch. It can recharge a mobile about 5 times. It has been very useful in the past.
    Yes it's a good point. I have one or two of those. Of course I'm sure when I need it it will be somewhere else...
  • Options
    Just went to get my second vaccine dose and the first thing the nurse raised in small talk was Hancock’s alleged affair violating Covid rules. Given this story seems to have the same cut through as Dominic Cummings’ trip to Barnard Castle it’ll be a tall order for him to survive.
    https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1408411191765053444
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Sorry in advance but I was wondering if the same camera 2 minutes later captured him nailing her in that 'up against the wall' configuration that's far more common in steamy dramas than it is in real life.

I did it once with a sweet Scottish girl in the corridor of an empty train back from Lewes to London: the last train on a hot summer's night

At least, we thought it was empty. But a middle-aged Indian gentleman came down the corridor, caught us at it, and politely said "Good evening" and then he walked on, entirely unfazed. Very dudely behaviour
    I bet he had a good old look first.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

No10 confirm @BorisJohnson is not sacking @MattHancock

The decision not to sack Hancock begs the question of which mistress Johnson was shagging in early May?
    Possibly the same one? After you Matt? No after you Prime Minister.
    Talking of Matt his cartoon in the Telegraph this morning is inspired.
    Can’t upload the image but under a headline of govt scientists warning they report
    “Based on the data, we expect Germany to score between 500 and 700 goals against England on Tuesday. “
    Following the science becomes more problematic when the science becomes a laughing stock.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

☺☺

But for blood clot 😩😩

Away you blood clot, away.
  • Options

Roger said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Sandpit said:

German health minister: 'Delta variant will have the upper hand over the summer'
    The more infectious Delta coronavirus variant will become dominant in Germany over the summer, health minister Jens Spahn said this morning.

“The Delta variant will have the upper hand over the summer, it’s more a matter of weeks than months,” Spahn told a news conference, adding the variant currently makes up more than 15% of coronavirus cases reported in Germany.

---

But its ok, everybody to the beaches and nightclubs of Southern Europe to intermingle.....

Crowding the unvaccinated youth of Europe in the 10,000 capacity nightclubs of Ibiza, definitely isn’t going to result in a massive new wave of infection all over the continent.
    But hey - lets quarantine the Brits.......
    So who are they going to blame when it demonstrably can't be our fault?
    At a wild guess - us still......
    Germany doesn't let us in anyway. So they must have got Delta some other way.
    Germany tried to bully the Club Med countries into quarantining the UK. Portugal made meek and compliant noises, but the Spanish told the Germans to fuck off, they want UK tourists and UK money

Y Viva Espana

I suggest all PB-ers get out to Spain ASAP as a mark of respect, and to show camaraderie against the Hun. Also, the Balearics are Going Green
    A typically enlightened post from the provisional wing of the two world wars and one world cup gang
    It's also a moot point. The Delta variant is at 15% of cases in Germany. Which means it will be 90% of cases in a matter of weeks.
    That might be correct, but the % of cases only really matters if there are also lots of cases,

Germany had 654 cases yesterday, if 15% are Delta, then that's 100 ish 'cases, if we assume, that Delter cases hear are rising at 30% WoW, |Germany with les vaccination might get 50% week on week, then they have 14 weeks before they get to UK level, by which time, they will have given both the first and second does to almost all who wish to have it.

Finland, Spain and Portugal, are different, but Germany and France I think will be fine
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Just went to get my second vaccine dose and the first thing the nurse raised in small talk was Hancock’s alleged affair violating Covid rules. Given this story seems to have the same cut through as Dominic Cummings’ trip to Barnard Castle it’ll be a tall order for him to survive.

Is this the new Albanian taxi drivers?

But like Big Dom they are going to go big on this, unlike the PC Constable Moron in charge of the MET.
  • Options

The deputy political editor of the Sun, Kate Ferguson, has just accused No. 10 of 'massive contempt' for the public. This is not going away. Not by a long chalk.

By Tuesday people will be singing Three Lions and cheering on England Vs Germany.

The proportion of people who care about politics in this country like we do is miniscule.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

I am equally pleased. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Yes it's a good point. I have one or two of those. Of course I'm sure when I need it it will be somewhere else...
    I am terribly messy by nature. So I spend quite a bit of time in organising. In this case, I keep a bunch of items in a cupboard in the hall, ready to be grabbed on the way out, when in a hurry.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Glad you are feeling better :)
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

The thing that gets me is in the films when a couple are having a passionate embrace and then, with nary a thought for their sciatica, and in one sweeping movement, the bloke hoists the girl up onto the kitchen worktop where they continue the activity.

It is not at all easy to dead lift 7-9 stone up on a worktop like that I can assure you.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

No you fuck off.

:smile:
    Haha

Yes I was tempted to exclude you from the bonhomie, but no, I'd even be upset if something bad happened to a typical south Londoner like you
    Your graciousness knows no bounds.
    He'd be a classic 'nice but dim' sort if he was nice.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Errr, no. Any more than you would admit to fantasising about an affair with Keir Starmer.
    I don't think I have ever shagged anyone who is a Labour member before, let alone the LoTO, so I think if he did offer, it'd be a bit rude to say no....
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Sandpit said:

German health minister: 'Delta variant will have the upper hand over the summer'
    The more infectious Delta coronavirus variant will become dominant in Germany over the summer, health minister Jens Spahn said this morning.

“The Delta variant will have the upper hand over the summer, it’s more a matter of weeks than months,” Spahn told a news conference, adding the variant currently makes up more than 15% of coronavirus cases reported in Germany.

---

But its ok, everybody to the beaches and nightclubs of Southern Europe to intermingle.....

Crowding the unvaccinated youth of Europe in the 10,000 capacity nightclubs of Ibiza, definitely isn’t going to result in a massive new wave of infection all over the continent.
    Germany tried to bully the Club Med countries into quarantining the UK. Portugal made meek and compliant noises, but the Spanish told the Germans to fuck off, they want UK tourists and UK money

Y Viva Espana

I suggest all PB-ers get out to Spain ASAP as a mark of respect, and to show camaraderie against the Hun. Also, the Balearics are Going Green
    A typically enlightened post from the provisional wing of the two world wars and one world cup gang
    It's also a moot point. The Delta variant is at 15% of cases in Germany. Which means it will be 90% of cases in a matter of weeks.
    That might be correct, but the % of cases only really matters if there are also lots of cases,

Germany had 654 cases yesterday, if 15% are Delta, then that's 100 ish 'cases, if we assume, that Delter cases hear are rising at 30% WoW, |Germany with les vaccination might get 50% week on week, then they have 14 weeks before they get to UK level, by which time, they will have given both the first and second does to almost all who wish to have it.

Finland, Spain and Portugal, are different, but Germany and France I think will be fine
    If it switches over to Delta, expect that low number of cases to increase.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

I think that I am very old fashioned about this. To me, it is a moral question. If you have an affair you risk causing great hurt to another to whom you made serious promises. You do so for your own selfish desires. It’s wrong and I think less of those that do.
    If a marriage is at an end end it. This happens and we are human. But cheating is a character flaw and really not great for someone Cumming’s has claimed is an inveterate liar.
    But Boris’s greenhouse barely has a pane left in this regard.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

The thing that gets me is in the films when a couple are having a passionate embrace and then, with nary a thought for their sciatica, and in one sweeping movement, the bloke hoists the girl up onto the kitchen worktop where they continue the activity.

It is not at all easy to dead lift 7-9 stone up on a worktop like that I can assure you.
    Never give up trying, that's what I say.
  • Options
    Why the row about Matt Hancock isn’t going to go away just because No. 10 ‘considers the matter closed’ https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/three-questions-boris-must-answer-over-the-matt-hancock-affair
  • Options

By Tuesday people will be singing Three Lions and cheering on England Vs Germany.

The proportion of people who care about politics in this country like we do is miniscule.
    Well the New Statesman says that this all but ends any chances restrictions continue post July 19.

If so, at least that is something.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    edited June 2021
    Wales passes 70% partially vaccinated.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Never give up trying, that's what I say.
    That's why the dead lift at the gym is so important. Practise and good technique to avoid damaging your back.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    justin124 said:

ping said:

There again, what is truth? He's admitted the affair, but what's an "affair"?

I'm new here - is this what a "Central Office troll" looks like? "At what point does it become adultery?" is a remarkable question to ask in the circumstances.

Back in the day, Environment Secretary Nicholas Ridley chucked a fag packet over his shoulder onto the street when he was out walking for a breather during a break at a conference on the environment. Of course Hancock should be out on his ear. In his personal behaviour he has shown utter contempt for the rules he and his colleagues have imposed on the other 60 million of us.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Why the row about Matt Hancock isn’t going to go away just because No. 10 ‘considers the matter closed’ https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/three-questions-boris-must-answer-over-the-matt-hancock-affair

Are those wanting his head also arguing that the woman be sacked? Just asking.
  • Options
    Yeah I can't see Hancock standing at the lectern ever again telling us about restrictions.

It's going to be Zahawi I suppose or Boris obvs when it is the good news and release.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Fantastic!

Your advice was appreciated and acted upon. I hate to be a bother but the unanimous views on here persuaded me this was a time to be a nuisance.
    Good stuff. It's obviously good to hear that this wasn't anything disastrous.

The broader take home message from this story is to always make a nuisance of yourself when you think you *might* have a serious medical problem. Too many people in general, and men in particular, have a tendency not to want to, and some of them end up avoidably deceased as a result.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

BigRich said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Sandpit said:

---

Y Viva Espana

The Ibizan nightclubs will do the job just fine.
  • Options
    eek said:

BigRich said:

DavidL has posted - he isn't 100% but he is alive.
    Yep. I post therefore I am.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yeah I can't see Hancock standing at the lectern ever again telling us about restrictions.

It's going to be Zahawi I suppose or Boris obvs when it is the good news and release.

Anybody at the lecturn is going to be a tough sell, now.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited June 2021
    Scott_xP said:

I think most people are just astonished that Hancock is getting so much sex.

He looks like a clapped out, pipsqueak circus pony.

So, it just takes a while to adjust mentally to the idea of Hancock, the Mighty Stallion.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Are those wanting his head also arguing that the woman be sacked? Just asking.
    that will be an interesting angle. She resigns but Handycock doesn't.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,517
    DavidL said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

I think that I am very old fashioned about this. To me, it is a moral question. If you have an affair you risk causing great hurt to another to whom you made serious promises. You do so for your own selfish desires. It’s wrong and I think less of those that do.
    If a marriage is at an end end it. This happens and we are human. But cheating is a character flaw and really not great for someone Cumming’s has claimed is an inveterate liar.
    A word of caution. We aren't privy to the secrets of Matt Hancock's marriage. Perhaps it is an open marriage. Perhaps they like consensual polyamory. Perhaps she also takes lovers.

We don't know it's "cheating". It is definitely embarrassing, and he should probably resign for the flagrant breaking of lockdown rules - but he should not resign for having sex

BTW well done in not being dead, get better soon
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424

Ratters said:

More seriously, good to see in the ONS infection survey that the increase in cases has been driven primarily by the Year 12 (age 16-17) to age 24 cohort that will have not been vaccinated at the time of the study.

In contrast, cases within ages 25-34 have stated to drop back down slightly from their peak. Infection rates for older age groups remain low.

The rate at which young adults are getting Covid will surely burn out in a few weeks through a combination of vaccines and infections.

One very puzzling thing, which @BristOliver pointed out on Twitter, is that the ONS figures show infections at a level a bit below those of April, whereas the dashboard positive tests figures are around four times higher than they were in April. Something a bit strange is happening with the sampling - maybe we're getting better at targeted testing, and that is making the figures look worse than they are?
    That is very strange.

I'd expect it to be the other way round - infections mainly in the young, so less likely to be symptomatic, and those vaccinated also less likely to have symptoms if infected. So you'd think the ONS survey would pick up a greater proportion of people carrying it who don't have symptoms.

Could there be problems with the ONS survey?
  • Options

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Fantastic!

The broader take home message from this story is to always make a nuisance of yourself when you think you *might* have a serious medical problem. Too many people in general, and men in particular, have a tendency not to want to, and some of them end up avoidably deceased as a result.
    One of the best pieces of advice I was ever given was by a doctor friend many moons ago and it was, simply: "don't wait".

For every 10 it could have waiteds there may be one absolutely vital thank goodness we caught it/you came in now.

• Options

Scott_xP said:

So, it just takes a while to adjust mentally to the idea of Hancock, the Mighty Stallion.
    I guess no worse than Robin Cook or John Prescott. Power, or at least the impression of it, seems to be a powerful aphrodisiac to some.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Very pleased to hear that you are still with us!

Now just watch out for those pesky hospital acquired infections!

Stay safe, and take it easy for a while.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That's why pipsqueaks like Hancock want power. Power is an aphrodisiac, when they have little else to offer.

And it also why they are desperate to hang on to power. Without power, who the f8ck wants a man like Hancock? who would betray their family for him?

• Options

BigRich said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Sandpit said:

---

Y Viva Espana

Yes, that what I sead, it will increse. it will increases at a comparable but slightly faster rat than in the UK because its the same virus, but with a less vaccinated population. perhaps around 50% a week, compared to the 30% a week in the UK. if that is the case, a quick use of excel, indicates that they have 14 weeks till they have the same number of cases as the UK has at the moment. its just that 14 weeks is a long time. time for Germany to fully vaccinate, and give second jabs.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Northern Ireland is definitely falling behind in the vaccine rollout, bit less than 80% of adults there - England and Scotland up to over 83%.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

That's why pipsqueaks like Hancock want power. Power is an aphrodisiac, when they have little else to offer.

And it also why they are desperate to hang on to power. Without power, who the f8ck wants a man like Hancock? who would betray their family for him?

Charlie Brooker described Hancock as "your sister's first boyfriend with a car".
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I guess no worse than Robin Cook or John Prescott. Power, or at least the impression of it, seems to be a powerful aphrodisiac to some.
    Except Cook and Prescott never seized the power to ban British people from intimacy, wholesale, for months on end, at penalty of fines or police interference.

None of them did.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    DavidL said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Good to see you posting again!!!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,517
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Charlie Brooker described Hancock as "your sister's first boyfriend with a car".
    That's brilliant. He has a definite gift, Charlie Brooker
  • Options

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Fantastic!

My doctor used to go on about how, going to hospital/the doctor at the early signs of a problem saves you risk and money *and* saves the country money. It takes alot of unnecessary visits to A&E to add up to the cost of treating a major issue....
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

As I say, Hancock has an extremely strong vested interest in lobbying to postpone the end of lockdown, completely independent of covid.

Some would argue the most powerful form of vested interest.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

He reminds me of David Schneider playing a Tory in Knowing Me Knowing You

https://youtu.be/zTXxjQpEYqM
  • Options
    An extraordinary state of affairs that the Prime Minister’s spokesperson, when asked, does not categorically confirm that the PM believes that his own Health Secretary has obeyed the law. https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1408417123454554116
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Except Cook and Prescott never seized the power to ban British people from intimacy, wholesale, for months on end, at penalty of fines or police interference.

None of them did.
    Maybe all those rules escalated as a result of his pillow talk. Instead of him talking dirty to her, he talked restrictions.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,533
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

I am in the Royal in Edinburgh as I was there for work.
    Hopefully home tomorrow
    Hope you feel better and are back to normal very quickly.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Northern Ireland is definitely falling behind in the vaccine rollout, bit less than 80% of adults there - England and Scotland up to over 83%.

Well, they do have a special on religious nutters there. Presumably some of that comes with a side order of anti-vax....

And being anti-government is a bit of a er.... tradition as well.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

This is flawed analysis. I know of two life long Tory voters who are appalled at this scandal and have said today they will not vote for this government unless he is sacked. My conclusion is that Boris is beginning to lose his political antenna.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

This is flawed analysis. I know of two life long Tory voters who are appalled at this scandal and have said today they will not vote for this government unless he is sacked. My conclusion is that Boris is beginning to lose his political antenna.
    Yeah I think this is a big deal if he doesn’t get rid of him. No one will take Hancock seriously on Covid now
  • Options
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Black Mirror ranks amongst the very best drama ever, imo. It is magnificent, if not perhaps lockdown-friendly.
  • Options
    isam said:

moonshine said:

Yeah I think this is a big deal if he doesn’t get rid of him. No one will take Hancock seriously on Covid now
    Does anyone take the PM seriously? What is the difference. The debasing of the Tory Party continues at pace.
  • Options
    @Leon

Majorca vs Menorca - any views?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326
    isam said:

The only way Johnson can sack Hancock is for breaching social distancing rules. He can hardly chuck him under the bus for any alleged infidelity, can he?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

A word of caution. We aren't privy to the secrets of Matt Hancock's marriage. Perhaps it is an open marriage. Perhaps they like consensual polyamory. Perhaps she also takes lovers.

We don't know it's "cheating". It is definitely embarrassing, and he should probably resign for the flagrant breaking of lockdown rules - but he should not resign for having sex

BTW well done in not being dead, get better soon
    Nearly 40k items of wit and wisdom, occasionally even correct and I get the most likes ever for being alive.

Hmmm
    Well, this is the Age of Plague. Not having died is something of an achievement to be celebrated for all of us right now.
  • Options

isam said:

The only way Johnson can sack Hancock is for breaching social distancing rules. He can hardly chuck him under the bus for any alleged infidelity, can he?
    When did a double standard ever get in his way?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326
    Scott_xP said:

kinabalu said:

Can't sack him for shagging.

Could sack him for Covid rules, but Cummings...

Could sack him for ministerial code, but Priti...

Could sack him for being totally fucking useless maybe...
    ... but Johnson...
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Agreed.

I might have a few quid on Galloway now...
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,533
    edited June 2021
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Black Mirror ranks amongst the very best drama ever, imo. It is magnificent, if not perhaps lockdown-friendly.
    TV Go Home, wot Brooker wrote, is very good. Originally a website, long gone, the book is worth a fiver of anyone’s money:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1841156752/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_X9FRYJHCXX7DATE9M82K

Edit: you can only bloody well read it online still. Rejoice!

https://web.archive.org/web/20030408060057/http://www.tvgohome.com/
  • Options

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

alex_ said:

Yes, that was scary

Fantastic!

My doctor used to go on about how, going to hospital/the doctor at the early signs of a problem saves you risk and money *and* saves the country money. It takes alot of unnecessary visits to A&E to add up to the cost of treating a major issue....
    As someone who thinks a great many people at A&E are malingerers who shouldn't be there and should see their GP instead at best ... That gives some food for thought.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,166

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

TV Go Home, wot Brooker wrote, is very good. Originally a website, long gone, the book is worth a fiver of anyone’s money:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1841156752/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_X9FRYJHCXX7DATE9M82K

TV go home is a work of utter genius. A few residents of Daily Mail Island post here I think.
This discussion has been closed.