Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Chesham Tory Peter Fleet was on a losing run right from his selection as candidate – politicalbettin

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

I'm not sure the people of Teesside want a load of southerners moving to their towns.

This is the thing i wonder when people start mooting things like moving the House of Lords to York. Why the hell would the citizens of York want Parliament and all its hangers on moving up there?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    Great football tonight!

Fantastic to see Denmark through!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Leon said:

Denmark are going out

Or not.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    edited June 2021
    alex_ said:

Quite surprised Denmark let their fans travel to Russia!

It's in Copenhagen...

Apologies if you were joking, but, yes, it's always confusing when the home team is the away team!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    If we really wanted to shake shit up, we’d move Parliament to Edinburgh (the second capital!) while we refurbished the Palace of Westminster.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

alex_ said:

It's in Copenhagen...
    Oops sorry - i thought somebody said it was in St Petersburg!
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I'm not sure the people of Teesside want a load of southerners moving to their towns.

This is the thing i wonder when people start mooting things like moving the House of Lords to York. Why the hell would the citizens of York want Parliament and all its hangers on moving up there?
    Money. The EU Parliament there keeps that city going.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Missed out the word Strasbourg there. Apologies
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    alex_ said:

Money and opportunity flows to where power rests.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Does York need money? Think it's pretty wealthy as it is.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,166

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Oxford Student Union is planning to hire 'sensitivity readers' to stop student newspapers including historic campus sheet Cherwell publishing 'problematic' articles that are 'implicitly racist or sexist'.

Officials at the student body are planning to set up a 'Student Consultancy of Sensitivity Readers' who would be elected and paid to check articles across various newspapers for signs of supposed insensitivity.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9707701/Oxford-students-employ-sensitivity-readers-CUT-problematic-articles-newspaper.html

I feel like wanting to be sensitive is technically a reasonable aim, but you don't want it to be your starting point, as you are likely to overdo it and be far too oversensitive.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/21/we-didnt-want-it-named-after-a-person-how-residents-of-cecil-rhodes-house-feel-about-its-new-name

Total minefield....going to just have to name everything A1, A2, A3...
    From the Guardian article, " ......Virginia Woolf, whose writing has been criticised as racist and antisemitic”

My distinct recollection is that Virginia's husband, Leonard Woolf, was Jewish.

I suspect the whole of the Bloomsbury Group is going to end up cancelled at this rate
    Virtually everyone who's ever been famous for anything will eventually end up being cancelled, or at any rate some group or another will claim to be offended and try. It's just the way things are going. The more tolerant and inclusive society becomes, the less tolerant and inclusive the belligerent axe grinders claim it to be - and then set out to try to make things worse again.
    Well, we are already at the stage where Einstein & Gandhi -- two of the most admirable humans who have ever lived -- are being routinely dismissed as racists.
    Gandhi was quite racist, however

We have two choices, either we accept that humans are made from crooked timber, and everyone has major but tolerable flaws, including sexism and racism (especially as perceived by different eras), OR we demand moral purity - by our standards - from every human with any kind of fame. or even without, and so we end up cancelling everyone

Of course the first choice is the sane option, but I fear we must go through several iterations of the insane alternative, until we wise up. Sanity will only prevail when the cancellers start getting viciously cancelled themselves - as they will. Cf Robespierre
    Or we have an honest debate, stop honouring the real scumbags, and move on.
    Or we could stop pandering to upper middle class student activists scoring notches on their CVs and do something that would actually help victims or the less advantaged.
    It's easy to pretend that it's only spoilt student types who care about BLM etc, but that's not my experience at all. To give you an example, our daughter made a small BLM sign with a picture of Rosa Parks that we put in our window. One day last year a delivery driver, a Jamaican guy, was dropping some stuff at our house. He pointed at the sign and said that he really appreciated seeing it.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Oxford Student Union is planning to hire 'sensitivity readers' to stop student newspapers including historic campus sheet Cherwell publishing 'problematic' articles that are 'implicitly racist or sexist'.

Officials at the student body are planning to set up a 'Student Consultancy of Sensitivity Readers' who would be elected and paid to check articles across various newspapers for signs of supposed insensitivity.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9707701/Oxford-students-employ-sensitivity-readers-CUT-problematic-articles-newspaper.html

I feel like wanting to be sensitive is technically a reasonable aim, but you don't want it to be your starting point, as you are likely to overdo it and be far too oversensitive.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/21/we-didnt-want-it-named-after-a-person-how-residents-of-cecil-rhodes-house-feel-about-its-new-name

From the Guardian article, " ......Virginia Woolf, whose writing has been criticised as racist and antisemitic”

I suspect the whole of the Bloomsbury Group is going to end up cancelled at this rate
    Virtually everyone who's ever been famous for anything will eventually end up being cancelled, or at any rate some group or another will claim to be offended and try. It's just the way things are going. The more tolerant and inclusive society becomes, the less tolerant and inclusive the belligerent axe grinders claim it to be - and then set out to try to make things worse again.
    Well, we are already at the stage where Einstein & Gandhi -- two of the most admirable humans who have ever lived -- are being routinely dismissed as racists.

We have two choices, either we accept that humans are made from crooked timber, and everyone has major but tolerable flaws, including sexism and racism (especially as perceived by different eras), OR we demand moral purity - by our standards - from every human with any kind of fame. or even without, and so we end up cancelling everyone

Of course the first choice is the sane option, but I fear we must go through several iterations of the insane alternative, until we wise up. Sanity will only prevail when the cancellers start getting viciously cancelled themselves - as they will. Cf Robespierre
    Or we could stop pandering to upper middle class student activists scoring notches on their CVs and do something that would actually help victims or the less advantaged.
    It's easy to pretend that it's only spoilt student types who care about BLM etc, but that's not my experience at all. To give you an example, our daughter made a small BLM sign with a picture of Rosa Parks that we put in our window. One day last year a delivery driver, a Jamaican guy, was dropping some stuff at our house. He pointed at the sign and said that he really appreciated seeing it.
    Of course it's not. But the spoilt student types pollute the genuine message.
  • Options
    Switzerland are about to qualify too. Ukraine's future was looking dodgy 20 minutes ago, but they will be above Finland and hoping they can get above one other third place team.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

So ignore them.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    Leon said:

I have not seen England play, under Southgate, like this Denmark team today. That is the problem. No fire

Nor indeed like Belgium. They have come out like England todsy. Slow, methodical, unambitious, clearly conserving energy.
    The difference is genuine world class players. When they needed and wanted to they shift up several gears.
    De Bruyne to Lukaku. Bang!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Housing analysts agree that it very much short-term fluctuation in demand that influence house prices; with supply only influencing in the long run, and not much either as demand is quite inelastic.

Like Murder on the Orient Express, everything is “to blame” for current house prices but based on what I’ve read the rough order of culprits is something like the following:

1. Repressed interest rates
    2. Increased demand (more household formation)
    3. Increased demand (immigration)
    4. Increased demand (property as asset class)
    5. Supply side: lack of public housing
    6. Supply side: planning complexity
    7. Increased demand (buy to let)

Prices ex South England are actually roughly at historic averages of price:earnings.

They would be probably be at historic lows if it wasn’t for (1) and (2).

Prices in South and especially London have all 7 factors in play.

The best thing we could probably do to bring down to prices is to increase public housing in the South, along with further measures to discourage holding property as an asset versus as a home, and planning reforms to bring down the cost of land.

A couple of new towns in the london periphery may do the trick for now. Built by the government.
    Chesham and Amersham sound like ideal candidates for expansion.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

So ignore them.
    I can and do. But the media don't, and that allows those who don't like the message to exploit the less genuine elements in an attempt to discredit the whole thing.
  • Options
    Oh, and England have qualified too.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    alex_ said:

tlg86 said:

alex_ said:

It's in Copenhagen...
    Oops sorry - i thought somebody said it was in St Petersburg!
    Confusingly that's where the Belgium Finland game is.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,517

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Awww. Sweet

Just the other day I put a tiny tiny stencil of Winnie Mandela on the heel of my Crockett & Jones brogues to show how much I care about racism and when I was having my shoes shined the deaf Ghanaian boy polishing my shoes apparently pointed to the heel and said how much he appreciated the gesture, but I didn't notice because I was listening to a BBC4 podcast about racism on my new iPhone 19
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,132
    edited June 2021
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

So ignore them.
    I can and do. But the media don't, and that allows those who don't like the message to exploit the less genuine elements in an attempt to discredit the whole thing.
    Of course they do. It's what the right wing media does. Every political movement will have idiots or bad actors attached to it, who its enemies will use to discredit it. If you know they are not representative, ignore them.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

I have not seen England play, under Southgate, like this Denmark team today. That is the problem. No fire

Nor indeed like Belgium. They have come out like England todsy. Slow, methodical, unambitious, clearly conserving energy.
    The difference is genuine world class players. When they needed and wanted to they shift up several gears.
    De Bruyne to Lukaku. Bang!
    England are consistently slow/poor starters in major tournaments though. Even in our more successful periods we have often attracted a lot of criticism in the early stages. Even 1966. 1986 started catastrophically. 1990 had a player revolt against the manager. 1996 only really took off after we smashed Holland that nobody saw coming.

Whether we will move up the gears here, who knows? But it is pretty unusual for us to find ourselves with the luxury of the 3rd game not mattering for qualification.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Both England and Czech republic through
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Yes, two teams on three points in third means all the teams on 4 points qualify.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,539

Leon said:

kle4 said:

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if we want to help Black people, who are under-represented in almost every profession you can name, then do something that will actually help bright Black kids grow up to be solicitors or doctors or entrpreneurs. Or we could make a big show of toppling statues and renaming buildings while keeping the top jobs safe.
  • Options

Housing analysts agree that it very much short-term fluctuation in demand that influence house prices; with supply only influencing in the long run, and not much either as demand is quite inelastic.

Like Murder on the Orient Express, everything is “to blame” for current house prices but based on what I’ve read the rough order of culprits is something like the following:

Prices ex South England are actually roughly at historic averages of price:earnings.

The best thing we could probably do to bring down to prices is to increase public housing in the South, along with further measures to discourage holding property as an asset versus as a home, and planning reforms to bring down the cost of land.

A couple of new towns in the london periphery may do the trick for now. Built by the government.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Awww. Sweet

Just the other day I put a tiny tiny stencil of Winnie Mandela on the heel of my Crockett & Jones brogues to show how much I care about racism and when I was having my shoes shined the deaf Ghanaian boy polishing my shoes apparently pointed to the heel and said how much he appreciated the gesture, but I didn't notice because I was listening to a BBC4 podcast about racism on my new iPhone 19
    You clearly intended to grind the image of a person of colour who identifies as female into the dirt by placing it upon your shoe. You must therefore be an unrepentant racist and should be cancelled immediately.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094

If we really wanted to shake shit up, we’d move Parliament to Edinburgh (the second capital!) while we refurbished the Palace of Westminster.

That would be a good move to be honest, for the union
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I can’t believe 5 minutes after the match and the BBC haven’t noticed tonight’s results mean England have qualified for the last 16.

Does no one understand the format? Embarrassing
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if we want to help Black people, who are under-represented in almost every profession you can name, then do something that will actually help bright Black kids grow up to be solicitors or doctors or entrpreneurs. Or we could make a big show of toppling statues and renaming buildings while keeping the top jobs safe.
    Could do both mind
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Both England and Czech republic through

All must have prizes.....so they can then get beaten in the last 16 / quarter finals.
  • Options
    Brom said:

I can’t believe 5 minutes after the match and the BBC haven’t noticed tonight’s results mean England have qualified for the last 16.

it is stupidly fricking complex. And really not good for competitive games (tonight apart). Never again, please
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

alex_ said:

Money and opportunity flows to where power rests.
    That’s why many folk support national independence.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Leon said:

Brom said:

it is stupidly fricking complex. And really not good for competitive games (tonight apart). Never again, please
    Wait until you see the new Champions League format.....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Brom said:

Agree I hate the 24 teams. It’s a huge advantage to groups E and F who know what they need. But still given how much they harp on about England during coverage of other nation’s matches you’d think the one time there is a bit of genuine news they might have clocked it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Embarrassing and getting more so by the day. July 19th can't come soon enough for Warwick.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Yes, two teams on three points in third means all the teams on 4 points qualify.
    Now, do England and the Czechs have a contest to try to lose, given what the "reward" for winning the group actually is?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Embarrassing and getting more so by the day. July 19th can't come soon enough for Warwick.
    We need our Warwick University representative to stand up for Coventry's finest University. @HYUFD ?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,539
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Denmark game has been really good.

One of the best in the tourney so far. Great entertainment, and with a properly rocking crowd
    The crowd makes you realise what is being missed across the British Isles as we cower in fear and celebrate the NHS.
    Yes, absolutely. I am sure this Denmark performance is directly related to a passionate and capacity crowd
    The Denmark performance is partly due to fanatical support, partly to the spirit of Christian Eriksen, but mainly due to Russia being very, very bad. Russia is the most underperforming footballing nation in Europe, probably even more so than Scotland.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Now, do England and the Czechs have a contest to try to lose, given what the "reward" for winning the group actually is?
    The reward for England is another home game. That should trump other considerations.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584

NEW THREAD

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Shocking. I'll say it again, at some point there must be a reckoning for the scientists. From masks to models to lab leak. A litany of failure, idiocy and obfuscation - right up to potential corruption and complicity

https://unherd.com/thepost/one-question-sir-patrick-vallance-still-needs-to-answer/
  • Options

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

I’d sooner win the group. Germany at Wembley after beating the Czechs will be a damn sight easier than winning in St Petersburg against France in the QFs. Assuming the Group F matches pan out as I expect…
  • Options
    If third in Group D qualifies, they will avoid Belgium. It will either be Holland or the winner of Group E (the Spain group).
  • Options

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Yes, a 0-0 would be perfect for us!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Nah. We want a thumping 3-0 win to go into the next round with confidence.
  • Options

DavidL said:

We need our Warwick University representative to stand up for Coventry's finest University. @HYUFD ?
    I went to Warwick. Went back a couple of years ago for the first time in 20 years. Most of it hadn't changed. That meant that bits of it still looked like they did in the seventies. Student Union was a complete dump. Think most of the bars had closed.

Not sure where all the money's gone. Felt like they were now a housing company.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715

We still don't know whether the population is going to recover after Covid.

This is all rather panicky. If London does recover a couple of new towns - unless they are 1/4 million each - won't even scratch the itch.

If you want an orderly housing market, stop shovelling £30bn a year into the gaping maws of he wealthy - house owners - every year in tax breaks. Then see what that does.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Nah. We want a thumping 3-0 win to go into the next round with confidence.
    Yep. England only get going in these competitions when a good performance allows the country to genuinely unite behind the team with confidence that the doubters are being silenced. And even the natural doubters will get fully behind the team on the back of a good performance. No reason why we can't compete against any team at Wembley. You need to catch a wave and build momentum.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

eek said:

eek said:

ping said:

That labour poster is depressing.

Will we ever build enough homes so that our young people can grow up and have, like, families?

The country is committing a slow suicide.

F£&k the nimbys.

It's all part of the grand levelling up plans.

The only place the young will be able to afford to live is in the Red Wall seats and the jobs will follow once it becomes obvious that the workers no longer exist elsewhere.

The internal adverts for Treasury North focus on the fact you can have a new 4-5 bedroom detached house for less than a 3 bed semi near London.

With a commute time in minutes rather than hours.
    Quite right. Why concrete over the rural south with rabbit-warren houses and ring-road DIY stores when there is plenty of cheap accommodation up north. Okay, you probably won't be able to boast at dinner parties about the tripling of your house's value over the last month (which is all these people really care about) but tough... if you want your own place then go where you can afford it; don't despoil everywhere else.
    And you have the audacity to have flag symbolising free movement?

Millions are welcome to come here, and serve you a coffee but don't they dare despoil your view.
    The EU and EU citizens serving coffee didn't attempt to sweep aside the planning laws and give developers carte blanche. Boris - and it seems most Brexit advocates - are. So what gives? This government is more a threat to my view than free movement ever was.
    In the last decade the UK population has increased from 61 million to 67 million. A 10% increase in population in a decade due to free movement.

You may be struggling in your limited mind to connect the dots, but those people need somewhere to live. Funny that!

The developers need carte blanche to fix the mess that regulated housing combined with free movement has disastrously created.
    I don't see 6 million EU immigrants sleeping in cardboard boxes to be honest. But if the EU immigrant, like anyone else, can't afford to live somewhere he should relocate to somewhere he can. (I'm applying a simple, free-market analysis as opposed to your crude, knee-jerk, government-must-act statism.)
    Except they can afford it. The developers are prepared to build, they're prepared to pay and landowners are prepared to sell to developers.

The state doesn't need to do anything except butt out and mind its own business rather than telling people what they can and can't do with their money and their land.

You wanted people here, people being here means them building on land. Immigrants are for life and not just for lattes.
    So everyone gets a say except the people who live in the area and have to see their environment and way of life obliterated. You're a Stalinist!
    I've you want a view you need to own the view.

If you don't want 1000 new houses surrounding your village all you will need to do is bid more than the developers are and you can keep the land the way it is.
    Which will, of course, be utterly impossible given the vast sums involved. But anyway: I've had enough of trying to save the fields and lanes of rural England from the barbarous hoards whose only god is Mammon - far too depressing for me. I shall stride instead to the furthest prong of my vast estate and shoot at the newbuilds across the bypass with a catapult.
    Oh diddums, its impossible given the vast sums involved?

Oh well, what was it you said? If you "can't afford to live somewhere" maybe you "should relocate to somewhere you can". That was your attitude wasn't it?

What's sauce for the goose etc
    What an absurd comparison. When they buy up land for housing estates they pay hundreds of millions - many magnitudes beyond what a normal individual could afford as a counter measure. There's no moral equivalence at all to saying that people shouldn't expect the state to rig things to allow them to afford property, especially if that screws over the environment, the rural idyll and already existing communities. Your position is that Britain should be concreted over come what may. I just find that morally bleak.
    Far from it. Currently 5.5% of Britain is concreted over for housing. If it goes to 6.5% that's neither here nor there and takes into account the population increase you welcomed. Britain would still have a green and pleasant land.

There isn't the desire or demand it concrete over the the whole country. It should only be concreted over where people pay to concrete over it, which they'll only do because they're in this country and need somewhere to live!

Denying people somewhere to live is much more bleak. If you were so xenophobic and hate filled that you thought people coming over despoiled the area why didn't you think that through sooner?
    Sorry. But I in no way ascribe to your 'immigrants came over 'ere, took our housing' mantra. So I'd be grateful if you didn't proclaim that I did.
    It's not my mantra. I welcome people coming here to improve their lives and contribute to our country. I welcome them getting a house built to live in.

You're the one bemoaning people coming over and despoiling the area. That's your language not mine.
    Actually immigrants never crossed my mind. You raised the subject when started going on about free movement. I was bemoaning rather the native-born British, who demand a property to own in the south - and call people with environmental concerns NIMBYs - but won't consider living somewhere else in the country more affordable to them. You may think they're entitled to live to absolutely wherever they like; I'm more of the view that people should learn to cut their cloth accordingly.
    So let me get this straight @Stark_Dawning : You're of the view that people shouldn't move about, are not entitled to live wherever they like, and rather than despoiling your area they should go back to where they came from?

Is that right? 🤔
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715
    edited June 2021

We still don't know whether the London population is going to recover after Covid. At present any panic is most likely generated by the insane Stamp Duty holiday.

This is all rather panicky. If London does recover a couple of new towns - unless they are 1/4 million each - won't even scratch the itch.

If you want an orderly housing market, stop shovelling nearly £30bn a year into the gaping maws of the wealthy - house owners - every year in CGT tax breaks, which inflate prices. Then see what that does over 10 years.

Then implement the Proportional Property Tax to take Stamp Duty completely out of the picture.

£30bn will cover Social Care Reforms several times over.

This does not really need to be that difficult.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313
    alex_ said:

DavidL said:

I went to Warwick. Went back a couple of years ago for the first time in 20 years. Most of it hadn't changed. That meant that bits of it still looked like they did in the seventies. Student Union was a complete dump. Think most of the bars had closed.

Not sure where all the money's gone. Felt like they were now a housing company.
    I did undergrad and phd at Warwick (Chemistry). Not really been back since ‘98. I did drive through a few years ago, but they do say ‘never go back’. I have very little loyalty to Warwick, partly as I’ve been at four others (Auckland, UEA, Leeds and Bath). I suspect the modelling achieved what is was meant/asked to.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited June 2021
    Duplicate
This discussion has been closed.