Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Chesham Tory Peter Fleet was on a losing run right from his selection as candidate – politicalbettin

Comments

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    rkrkrk said:

Back above 10k cases... and a worrying 10% daily jump in number of patients in hospital in England... big number of new cases reported in Wales -> largest since Feb...

The hospitals jump looks to be a data error to me - driven by a 50 person rise in the midlands, when the total daily admissions, never mind any leavers, has not topped 35 recently. Possibly valid but looks suspect.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,271
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:
    This also doesn't include companies which are functionally based in the UK but have the HQ in Silicon Valley for investor purposes, the number will be significantly larger when including these companies.
    I note that the Uk has claimed Skype, Bolt, Wise, Verriff, Revolut, Cybernetica, and several other unicorms which are legally incorporated in London but functionally run from elsewhere, so it cuts both ways.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    tlg86 said:

EU prepares to cut amount of British TV and film shown post-Brexit

Exclusive: number of UK productions seen as ‘disproportionate’ and threat to Europe’s cultural diversity

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/21/eu-prepares-cut-amount-british-tv-film-shown-brexit

Under the EU’s audiovisual media services directive, a majority of airtime must be given to such European content on terrestrial television and it must make up at least 30% of the number of titles on video on demand (VOD) platforms such as Netflix and Amazon.

Countries such as France have gone further, setting a 60% quota for European works on VOD and demanding 15% of the turnover of the platforms is spent in production of European audiovisual and cinematographic works.

I had no idea that the EU and France dictated what their people can and can't watch!
    Yes, it's an old French policy to protect their failing language and uncompetitive media industry from English and American competition.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,517
    "We should be at well over 3,000 hospitalisations a day by now, according to SAGE (with the less transmissible UK variant). Actual figure for England: 178."

https://twitter.com/cjsnowdon/status/1406995596284727298?s=20
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited June 2021
    MaxPB said:

I think there is a real chance that we fall into a scenario where the UK really does become the NHS with a country attached. We've joked about it before but it's quite a depressing thought that this becomes a reality, the NHS is there to serve the people, the people don't exist to protect the NHS and if it needs more resources to cope with a higher baseline of service then that's the choice, not forever lockdown.

That might even be justifiable if the NHS gave the best healthcare in the world, not the second-worst amongst comparable countries in the most recent study I saw.

But why do we fetishise something that isn't even particularly good?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

"We should be at well over 3,000 hospitalisations a day by now, according to SAGE (with the less transmissible UK variant). Actual figure for England: 178."

SPI-M making the Home Office look fit for purpose....
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Leon said:

The Warwick model predicted 100k new cases per day around now. The ONS gold standard random testing thinks there are only c. 105k cases full stop right now, and their testing method means their case duration is well over a week.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    eek said:

ping said:

That labour poster is depressing.

Will we ever build enough homes so that our young people can grow up and have, like, families?

The country is committing a slow suicide.

F£&k the nimbys.

It's all part of the grand levelling up plans.

The only place the young will be able to afford to live is in the Red Wall seats and the jobs will follow once it becomes obvious that the workers no longer exist elsewhere.

The internal adverts for Treasury North focus on the fact you can have a new 4-5 bedroom detached house for less than a 3 bed semi near London.

With a commute time in minutes rather than hours.
    Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    1h
    Scotland, blue collar heartlands in England, Muslims, graduates, the young, and now renters.

The history of the Labour party is taking for granted those who already vote for you. We need to build more homes.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790
    edited June 2021
    glw said:

FF43 said:

Whatever the merits of the policy from an EU perspective (doubtful I suspect), UK production will move from being in quota - maybe relatively watchable compared with other EU in quota production - to competing for limited slots with other out of quota production from America etc that may be more marketable

What is a limited slot on a streaming service? TV is no longer constrained by broadcasting. Direct broadcast satellites and free-to-air television are technological dead-ends which are going to go into quite rapid declince over this decade. Essentially all TV viewing will be streaming* by the time we reach the 2030s, at which point quotas are going to look damn silly unless you plan on forcing viewers to watch shows.

* Streaming already is "TV" for most young people.
    On broadcast TV you need to fill each hour with something. Netflix trims its out of quota catalogue in places where they have such things (I think South Africa has a similar policy), so people only get to see the most popular shows.

Edit Checked the stats. TV revenues in Europe are €100 billion a year. Streaming services €14 billion. The first is still more valuable, albeit not growing much.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    edited June 2021

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

Can anyone explain why Excess Deaths have been negative for the last 14 weeks?

OK, we know Covid deaths have been very, very low.

But I thought it was widely accepted that many people with other medical problems haven't been to see their GP or gone to hospital as much as usual over the last 15 months.

Surely the above should have led to lots of illness not being diagnosed and also known illnesses progressing more rapidly? Which should now be feeding through into Excess Deaths?

Link (select page 2/9 for graph):

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiYmUwNmFhMjYtNGZhYS00NDk2LWFlMTAtOTg0OGNhNmFiNGM0IiwidCI6ImVlNGUxNDk5LTRhMzUtNGIyZS1hZDQ3LTVmM2NmOWRlODY2NiIsImMiOjh9

The obvious answer is that COVID deaths in 2020 for a large number of people were advanced by less than a year meaning the pool of people in death's waiting room is much smaller this year.
    I'm not going to attempt to do the maths, but it would have to spread through much of the population to have got to those who were going to die anyway. There might be a bias in that it's gone through some care homes and hospitals, but I suspect the -47,000 non-COVID excess deaths is driven by some people being dead from COVID and also a reduction in other viruses spreading through the population.

Winter 2021-22 will be tough for the NHS, I think.
    I can't help advocating one final heave this winter and into next spring to get us over the line - masks, rule of six, we all know the drill by now

You know it makes sense.
    Are you being serious? Next spring? Two years of this. Do you have any idea what effect the constant hum of restrictions might have on children? A six-yr old will have spent 25% of their lives under some kind of restrictions. Wow.
    Wait till you hear what 6 year olds in 1945 had gone through.
    You remind me of those Leavers saying well at least it wasn't as bad as the English Civil War/WWII/rationing to justify Brexit.
    You remind me of all those righties who didn't give a fcuk about antisemitism for years until they realised it was a stick with which to beat lefties and ensure the hegemony of their crook led party.
    This might be true, except that it isn't, it is shite

There has been a steep rise in anti-Semitism in the last ten years, in the UK it has nearly all come from Muslims, and from their allies on the hard left, eg the Corbynite wing of Labour. Yes the right is now using it as a stick to thwack Labour, but that doesn't mean the phenomenon of left-wing Jew-hatred is contrived. It is not. It is real
    Occasionally I wonder if it is my fault that the phrase jew hate became far more common after I'd mused on here that antisemitism might not be widely understood.

ETA it's not so much Corbynistas as the ex-SWP trots that Kinnock had thrown out and Ed Miliband had let back in.
    Yes, an Israel obsession is mainly a feature of (some) veteran hard left activists. The vast majority of those enthused by Corbyn to join the party are not that way inclined.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    FF43 said:

glw said:

FF43 said:

Whatever the merits of the policy from an EU perspective (doubtful I suspect), UK production will move from being in quota - maybe relatively watchable compared with other EU in quota production - to competing for limited slots with other out of quota production from America etc that may be more marketable

What is a limited slot on a streaming service? TV is no longer constrained by broadcasting. Direct broadcast satellites and free-to-air television are technological dead-ends which are going to go into quite rapid declince over this decade. Essentially all TV viewing will be streaming* by the time we reach the 2030s, at which point quotas are going to look damn silly unless you plan on forcing viewers to watch shows.

On broadcast TV you need to fill each hour with something. Netflix trims its out of quota catalogue in places where they have such things (I think South Africa has a similar policy), so people only get to see the most popular shows.
    Live broadcast tv is going the way of the dodo, outside of some special events.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Cicero said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:
    This also doesn't include companies which are functionally based in the UK but have the HQ in Silicon Valley for investor purposes, the number will be significantly larger when including these companies.
    I note that the Uk has claimed Skype, Bolt, Wise, Verriff, Revolut, Cybernetica, and several other unicorms which are legally incorporated in London but functionally run from elsewhere, so it cuts both ways.
    Unless I've missed something both Wise and Revolut are based in London.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

eek said:

ping said:

Will we ever build enough homes so that our young people can grow up and have, like, families?

F£&k the nimbys.

The only place the young will be able to afford to live is in the Red Wall seats and the jobs will follow once it becomes obvious that the workers no longer exist elsewhere.

The internal adverts for Treasury North focus on the fact you can have a new 4-5 bedroom detached house for less than a 3 bed semi near London.

Quite right. Why concrete over the rural south with rabbit-warren houses and ring-road DIY stores when there is plenty of cheap accommodation up north. Okay, you probably won't be able to boast at dinner parties about the tripling of your house's value over the last month (which is all these people really care about) but tough... if you want your own place then go where you can afford it; don't despoil everywhere else.
    And you have the audacity to have flag symbolising free movement?

Millions are welcome to come here, and serve you a coffee but don't they dare despoil your view.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    eek said:

Cicero said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:
    Unless I've missed something both Wise and Revolut are based in London.
    Lol, you aren't. Cicero is probably trying to claim them for Estonia.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    England PCR positivity

• Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800

Given the number of Scottish politics enthusiasts here, if Sturgeon were run over by a tram tomorrow, who would be the leading contenders to replace her? Is it certain to be a MSP and not an MP?

Best prices - Next First Minister

Angus Robertson MSP 7/2
    John Swinney MSP 6/1
    Kate Forbes MSP 9/1
    Joanna Cherry QC MP 12/1
    Anas Sarwar MSP (Lab) 12/1
    Humza Yousaf MSP 12/1
    Keith Brown MSP 16/1
    Douglas Ross MP MSP (Con) 18/1

Robertson for sure - but I shudder to think what the Scottish Green Party would demand for their support.
  • Options
    UK cases summary

• Options
    UK R

• Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    GIN1138 said:

Exclusive: number of UK productions seen as ‘disproportionate’ and threat to Europe’s cultural diversity

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/21/eu-prepares-cut-amount-british-tv-film-shown-brexit

With streaming services and online platforms ever expanding how can they possibly regulate this?
    Since when did the EU pay attention to reality?
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    1h
    Scotland, blue collar heartlands in England, Muslims, graduates, the young, and now renters.

The history of the Labour party is taking for granted those who already vote for you. We need to build more homes.
    I agree with Bastani.

I feel dirty.
  • Options
    Age related data

• Options
    edited June 2021

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    1h

I agree with Bastani.

I feel dirty.
    You must now go and watch an hour of GB News to bring back some balance to your aura...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    FF43 said:

This seems an odd line for Labour to take given the demographics of their support base:

https://twitter.com/uklabour/status/1406947513857462276

Actually I think this might be a rare moment of genius on the part of Labour. An outfit that puts out an advertisement like that is hardly going to be a Marxist threat.
    Turn it over and it says "... and so do I" next to a pic of Sir Keir!
  • Options
    Vaccinations

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited June 2021
    Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

With streaming services and online platforms ever expanding how can they possibly regulate this?
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find that there are some people who would advocate an EU version of the Great Firewall.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

glw said:

FF43 said:

Edit Checked the stats. TV revenues in Europe are €100 billion a year. Streaming services €14 billion. The first is still more valuable, albeit not growing much.
    Unsurprising in the UK for instance where the TV tax alone is mandatory for almost every household and costs more than what Netflix costs.

Netflix is much more value for money though. So is Disney.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

Quite right. Why concrete over the rural south with rabbit-warren houses and ring-road DIY stores when there is plenty of cheap accommodation up north. Okay, you probably won't be able to boast at dinner parties about the tripling of your house's value over the last month (which is all these people really care about) but tough... if you want your own place then go where you can afford it; don't despoil everywhere else.

Millions are welcome to come here, and serve you a coffee but don't they dare despoil your view.
    The EU and EU citizens serving coffee didn't attempt to sweep aside the planning laws and give developers carte blanche. Boris - and it seems most Brexit advocates - are. So what gives? This government is more a threat to my view than free movement ever was.
  • Options

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    1h

I agree with Bastani.

I feel dirty.
    You must now go and watch an hour of GB News to bring back some balance to your aura...
    Not being religious, I thought I'd avoided the notion of penance and having to recite Hail Mary's.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    glw said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find that there are some people who would advocate an EU version of the Great Firewall.
    “Le pare-feu anti-anglais”
  • Options
    COVID Summary

Cases and hospitalisations continue to climb. Deaths (UK wide) are stable - with the possibility of slight rise. Given the small numbers (less than 10 per day) the data is very noisy

Of especial interest is the apparent halt in increases in hospitalisations in 65+ age groups. Unfortunately, since the data isn't segmented in the 18-64 band, we can't see at what age the difference between stable/falling and rising admissions occurs.....

• Options

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

The EU and EU citizens serving coffee didn't attempt to sweep aside the planning laws and give developers carte blanche. Boris - and it seems most Brexit advocates - are. So what gives? This government is more a threat to my view than free movement ever was.
    In the last decade the UK population has increased from 61 million to 67 million. A 10% increase in population in a decade due to free movement.

You may be struggling in your limited mind to connect the dots, but those people need somewhere to live. Funny that!

The developers need carte blanche to fix the mess that regulated housing combined with free movement has disastrously created.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    Interesting video from Owen Jones up in Batley. A lot of analysis of the Palestine question.

Labour will come third says Galloway. "I'll eat my hat if they don't"

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1406961925557260292
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    glw said:

tlg86 said:

Under the EU’s audiovisual media services directive, a majority of airtime must be given to such European content on terrestrial television and it must make up at least 30% of the number of titles on video on demand (VOD) platforms such as Netflix and Amazon.

Countries such as France have gone further, setting a 60% quota for European works on VOD and demanding 15% of the turnover of the platforms is spent in production of European audiovisual and cinematographic works.

I had no idea that the EU and France dictated what their people can and can't watch!
    It's a bonkers policy, because you can't make people watch the rubbish that is approved, people can watch the channel of their choosing, or more likely stream the shows they want. It just means that channels fill their schedule with box ticking pap, and buy a load of cheap rubbish shows and films to fill their servers, and in the end people will still watch what they want.
    Oh yeah, the EU is stuck in a world where there were five channels and you could attempt to bludgeon people into carrying lots of content of a certain kind.

In a VOD world (whether YouTube, TikTok, Netflix or whatever) people will choose to watch what they like.

If you want to subsidise domestic media production, just do it directly. Have a €200m French film production fund, which will enable you to produce more content. Netflix, or whoever, will happily take whatever content you create.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited June 2021

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani

That is an acute observation by Bastani.

As its reward for loyalty to Labour, Wales has been fed on scraps.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    edited June 2021
    This is encouraging - signs that we have peaked in the North West:
    https://twitter.com/RP131/status/1407001770258272263

Now for everywhere else to go through the same pattern, to hopefully much lower peaks.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

Given the number of Scottish politics enthusiasts here, if Sturgeon were run over by a tram tomorrow, who would be the leading contenders to replace her? Is it certain to be a MSP and not an MP?

Angus Robertson MSP 7/2
    John Swinney MSP 6/1
    Kate Forbes MSP 9/1
    Joanna Cherry QC MP 12/1
    Humza Yousaf MSP 12/1
    Keith Brown MSP 16/1

Robertson for sure - but I shudder to think what the Scottish Green Party would demand for their support.
    Some green policies?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    RobD said:

glw said:

tlg86 said:

It's a bonkers policy, because you can't make people watch the rubbish that is approved, people can watch the channel of their choosing, or more likely stream the shows they want. It just means that channels fill their schedule with box ticking pap, and buy a load of cheap rubbish shows and films to fill their servers, and in the end people will still watch what they want.
    BBC Scotchland = bonkers policy
    I don't think there is a quota saying a certain fraction of television broadcast there has to be from south of the border.
    Never seen 99% described as a fraction before.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    UEFA have today shared with the DFB that they have stopped the review of the rainbow captain's armband worn by
    @Manuel_Neuer

In a letter, the armband has been assessed as a team symbol for diversity and thus for a 'good cause.'

https://twitter.com/DFB_Team_EN/status/1406682607807569921?s=20
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

RobD said:

glw said:

tlg86 said:

I don't think there is a quota saying a certain fraction of television broadcast there has to be from south of the border.
    But it's not a quota, is it?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

r?

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

1,008,472 appointments were booked in just two days, as the NHS COVID-19 vaccination programme opened up to all adults — that's over 21,000 every hour, or six every second! 💉

Yeah but are the societial benefits worth it, copyright Kay Burley....

That's fantastic.

Half a million were done in the past 48 hours. It would be great if that pace could be kept up but I suspect we'll quickly slow down as those eager to be done first will be done and now there's nobody left to open it up to.

Still, we're already at 81.6% of adults vaccinated. Biden and many other leaders could only dream of achieving such figures.
    WOW, compliance must lead to liberty then.....!!!

Oh wait. No it doesn't. We are still locked down. They are free.

More to come in the Autumn if you don't take your booster like a good boy!!!
    We aren't "locked down". I'm popping out in a minute. Don't need to. Don't even want to. I'm doing it just cos I can. Exercising my right as a freeborn Englishman to leave the house and make my presence felt.
    Absolutely. And yet if you were to invite me, @contrarian, @HYUFD, @Dura_Ace, @Leon, @Philip_Thompson and Scarlett Johansson round for a kitchen supper this weekend at yours you would be breaking the law.
    Would make for one hell of a dinner party though. I certainly wouldn't mind sitting next to Black Widow.
    Noted. But it's at mine so I'll be doing the seating plan.
    Do you have somewhere for Dura Ace to leave his BMX?
    Yes. Front railings. But he's not coming. You can take his place if you like. Casual affair. Your usual West Ham shirt and trackie bottoms is fine.
    Haha I do often wear football shirts and tracksuit bottoms (Academy pants as they are now known), but the last Arsenal shirt I had was the 87/88 number. I am an obscure M&M clothing cheapo merchant, but did buy my first ever England shirt last month, ironically for the tournament that I am least bothered about England winning - a retro style from 1982

That's not me modelling it btw
    only retro shirt I've erer bought

although I was tempted by their fictional 'Escape to Victory' shirt....(not)
  • Options

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    1h

I agree with Bastani.

I feel dirty.
    Imagine how he feels.
  • Options

RobD said:

glw said:

tlg86 said:

Your free to go and set up ScotFlix and nobody will tell you what percentage of content from what region of the world you must have on there.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715
    kinabalu said:

sarissa said:

Angus Robertson MSP 7/2
    John Swinney MSP 6/1
    Kate Forbes MSP 9/1
    Joanna Cherry QC MP 12/1
    Humza Yousaf MSP 12/1
    Keith Brown MSP 16/1

Some green policies?
    Such as?

(Are the Scottish Greens as bonkers as the English Greens?)
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    According to buzz on twitter, the Sage model is out by order(s) of magnitude on its 21 June forecast. Is this correct?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Interesting video from Owen Jones up in Batley. A lot of analysis of the Palestine question.

His Hartlepool one was good too. I hope Galloway flops and Labour hold but I can't say I'm confident.
  • Options
    At the equivalent point in the second wave (early October) the average daily deaths were at 70 per day, at the moment we're at just under 10 per day. The idea that suddenly the NHS will be overwhelmed is laughable. Once we factor in vaccine refusers and actuarial deaths into the current numbers I'd be shocked if there were more than a handful of people dying that have been vaccinated per week (less than you can count on one hand) such is the high efficacy of the vaccines.

We've been pushed into an extra 4 weeks of lockdown by scientists selectively presenting data narrative that tells a story of doom while the reality is nothing like that. It's the same as the stupid idea of deaths rising 85% from their low point, I mean sure but no one in their right mind thinks that deaths going from 5 to 9 is really of huge concern.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

It would impolite in the extreme to invite Scarlett Johansson to a dinner party without any female company. It would place her in a very awkward position when she arrives and discovers she is the only woman in attendance.

You're absolutely right. I'm going to phone her and tell her she can't come.
    Just invite more guests from Scotland - we'll shortly be able to self-ID, even if only for a week.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Redfield & Wilton Strategies
    @RedfieldWilton
    ·
    26s
    Westminster Voting Intention (21 June):

Conservative 44% (–)
    Labour 33% (-1)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (+1)
    Scottish National Party 4% (–)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (+1)
    Other: 3% (+2)

Changes +/- 13 June
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    felix said:

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    26s

Conservative 44% (–)
    Labour 33% (-1)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (+1)

Changes +/- 13 June

Lib Dems eating Labour's lunch.....

As with basically every poll (bar one around the time of Boris delaying Freedom Day), the Tories are always ~43%, and then it is how the left of centre parties vote share splits.

It looks like I was proved wrong about the Tories taking a big hit for cocking up and having to delay Freedom Day.
  • Options
    ping said:

“I will not cease from mental fight,
    Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
    Till we have built Jerusalem
    In England's green and pleasant land.”

Go for it boris. Screw the nimbys. Use your majority.

Just do it. For England.

Bovis rabbit hutches are hardly “Jerusalem”.
  • Options

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

In the last decade the UK population has increased from 61 million to 67 million. A 10% increase in population in a decade due to free movement.

You may be struggling in your limited mind to connect the dots, but those people need somewhere to live. Funny that!

The developers need carte blanche to fix the mess that regulated housing combined with free movement has disastrously created.
    It's not just due to free movement: the birth rate also increased to a post 1978 high, and people lived longer.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505

felix said:

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    26s

Conservative 44% (–)
    Labour 33% (-1)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (+1)

Changes +/- 13 June

...one tiny nibble at a time.
  • Options

According to buzz on twitter, the Sage model is out by order(s) of magnitude on its 21 June forecast. Is this correct?

Yes, to a completely ridiculous degree. If it wasn't so depressing that these scientists have used these cynical methods of data presentation to push a zero COVID permanent lockdown agenda it would actually be a bit funny as to how far they're out by. It's not as if they can even say that decisions taken have changed inputs because they haven't.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

felix said:

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    26s

Conservative 44% (–)
    Labour 33% (-1)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (+1)

Changes +/- 13 June

...one tiny nibble at a time.
    Will they notice in time?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

It's not just due to free movement: the birth rate also increased to a post 1978 high, and people lived longer.

Its not just due to free movement but its a major factor. Plus of course the birth rate has increased in part due to a movement of fertile young people to the UK who've then had kids so that feeds in too.

Either way, for @Stark_Dawning to fly the flag for free movement then get outraged that people want to "despoil" his area . . . I think there's a term or two for that.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    GIN1138 said:

Easy. All streaming media has to be licenced, and all such licencing is divided into geographical territories. Streaming media companies can, and do (they have to under their licencing terms) impose geolocation restrictions on what can be consumed where. So it follows that all streaming companies have to have at least a legal presence in the EU/EEA, even if it's just a brass plate on an office in Luxembourg. So the legal restrictions in place in that EU country at least apply. And in practice, you have to multiply that by if not every EU/EEA country but certainly a big chunk of them[1]: there is not yet a pan-EU or pan-EEA licencing regime in place: even before Brexit day you could not use the BBC iPlayer or ITV or Channel 4 streaming services outside the UK.

Similar rules apply to eBooks too, although my understanding of such matters is that there are fewer, larger licencing areas such as the Commonwealth, the US, the rest of Europe etc.

[1] Possibly some of the pre-EC economic groupings such as Benelux had some sort of common licencing markets.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

FF43 said:

glw said:

FF43 said:

Unsurprising in the UK for instance where the TV tax alone is mandatory for almost every household and costs more than what Netflix costs.

Netflix is much more value for money though. So is Disney.
    I've just this minute renewed my TV licence, Philip. Always get a little buzz of satisfaction when the time comes around and today was no exception. Only £159 for an entire year. Quite remarkable value when I compare it to all the other shit I spend my money on. It makes me feel connected to the community too. Makes me feel a part of this country that I love.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,715
    algarkirk said:

This seems an odd line for Labour to take given the demographics of their support base:

To be fair Labour SFAICS holds not a single rural seat. They have to start somewhere. Maybe they think that the strap line 'Make your posh Dorset village as vibrant as Bootle, Vote Labour, in Bootle they think it makes sense' doesn't make the grade.

But surely this is a spoof?

HEY! What's wrong with Bootle?
    Lovely shopping centre.......

• Options

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    1h

I agree with Bastani.

I feel dirty.
    I wish GB News had gone retro 70's for their stage sets. Or had a look like the Time Variance Authority...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790
    rpjs said:

GIN1138 said:

Easy. All streaming media has to be licenced, and all such licencing is divided into geographical territories. Streaming media companies can, and do (they have to under their licencing terms) impose geolocation restrictions on what can be consumed where. So it follows that all streaming companies have to have at least a legal presence in the EU/EEA, even if it's just a brass plate on an office in Luxembourg. So the legal restrictions in place in that EU country at least apply. And in practice, you have to multiply that by if not every EU/EEA country but certainly a big chunk of them[1]: there is not yet a pan-EU or pan-EEA licencing regime in place: even before Brexit day you could not use the BBC iPlayer or ITV or Channel 4 streaming services outside the UK.

Similar rules apply to eBooks too, although my understanding of such matters is that there are fewer, larger licencing areas such as the Commonwealth, the US, the rest of Europe etc.

[1] Possibly some of the pre-EC economic groupings such as Benelux had some sort of common licencing markets.
    I think this is correct. The EU is somewhat unusual in imposing local content requirements through legislation. Plenty of places achieve the same it through licensing conditions.
  • Options

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

I don't see 6 million EU immigrants sleeping in cardboard boxes to be honest. But if the EU immigrant, like anyone else, can't afford to live somewhere he should relocate to somewhere he can. (I'm applying a simple, free-market analysis as opposed to your crude, knee-jerk, government-must-act statism.)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited June 2021
    MaxPB said:

At the equivalent point in the second wave (early October) the average daily deaths were at 70 per day, at the moment we're at just under 10 per day. The idea that suddenly the NHS will be overwhelmed is laughable. Once we factor in vaccine refusers and actuarial deaths into the current numbers I'd be shocked if there were more than a handful of people dying that have been vaccinated per week (less than you can count on one hand) such is the high efficacy of the vaccines.

We've been pushed into an extra 4 weeks of lockdown by scientists selectively presenting data narrative that tells a story of doom while the reality is nothing like that. It's the same as the stupid idea of deaths rising 85% from their low point, I mean sure but no one in their right mind thinks that deaths going from 5 to 9 is really of huge concern.

Scientists will do what scientists do. Fine.

It is the government that is enabling them by promoting them, and it seems them alone, to chief policy advisor.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

Angus Robertson MSP 7/2
    John Swinney MSP 6/1
    Kate Forbes MSP 9/1
    Joanna Cherry QC MP 12/1
    Humza Yousaf MSP 12/1
    Keith Brown MSP 16/1

Not much. The SGP would definitely not want to trigger an extraordinary GE by failing to back an SNP FM. Half their list votes come from folk who vote SNP on the FPTP ballot.
  • Options

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

I don't see 6 million EU immigrants sleeping in cardboard boxes to be honest. But if the EU immigrant, like anyone else, can't afford to live somewhere he should relocate to somewhere he can. (I'm applying a simple, free-market analysis as opposed to your crude, knee-jerk, government-must-act statism.)
    Except they can afford it. The developers are prepared to build, they're prepared to pay and landowners are prepared to sell to developers.

The state doesn't need to do anything except butt out and mind its own business rather than telling people what they can and can't do with their money and their land.

You wanted people here, people being here means them building on land. Immigrants are for life and not just for lattes.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

We could have a policy of trying to reduce the population of the country by encouraging people to emigrate to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, etc.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Andy_JS said:

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

We could have a policy of trying to reduce the population of the country by encouraging people to emigrate to Australia, Canada, New Zealand, etc.
    Wasn't that called the 70s?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    1h

I agree with Bastani.

I feel dirty.
    I wish GB News had gone retro 70's for their stage sets. Or had a look like the Time Variance Authority...
    Soccer AM predicted GB News 15 years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJBvmSutAX8
  • Options

RobD said:

glw said:

tlg86 said:

Your free to go and set up ScotFlix and nobody will tell you what percentage of content from what region of the world you must have on there.
    If the Scottish Government brought forward legislation to do just that, I can just imagine the bust blood vessels on here.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    FF43 said:

rpjs said:

GIN1138 said:

I think this is correct. The EU is somewhat unusual in imposing local content requirements through legislation. Plenty of places achieve the same it through licensing conditions.
    For the avoidance of doubt, I was talking principally of the licencing of content from the content creators, rather than the administrative licencing of the company to operate in each country, but yes, there are lots of places where such rules can be imposed.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    Latest Westminster voting intention (16-17 June)

Con: 45% (+1 from 9-10 Jun)
    Lab: 31% (n/c)
    Green: 7% (-2)
    Lib Dem: 6% (-1)
    SNP: 5% (n/c)
    Reform UK: 4% (+2)

• Options

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

Except they can afford it. The developers are prepared to build, they're prepared to pay and landowners are prepared to sell to developers.

The state doesn't need to do anything except butt out and mind its own business rather than telling people what they can and can't do with their money and their land.

You wanted people here, people being here means them building on land. Immigrants are for life and not just for lattes.
    So everyone gets a say except the people who live in the area and have to see their environment and way of life obliterated. You're a Stalinist!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139
    edited June 2021
    MaxPB said:

Yes, to a completely ridiculous degree. If it wasn't so depressing that these scientists have used these cynical methods of data presentation to push a zero COVID permanent lockdown agenda it would actually be a bit funny as to how far they're out by. It's not as if they can even say that decisions taken have changed inputs because they haven't.
    This needs to be scrutinised widely on the national news. And as you say, the difference this time is there has been no further intervention so they are unable to claim that the vastly better numbers are a result of their actions.

Let this be widely scrutinised.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

My eldest emigrated to New Zealand in 2003 and then to Canada in 2015
  • Options

I am slightly surprised the continued restrictions not even nudging the figures
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    N Macedonia unlucky here.
    One disallowed for cms offside. Just hit the post.
  • Options
    Floater said:

This is one of the highest shares for Reform I think.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Floater said:

And people wonder why the restrictions continue.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013
    dixiedean said:

N Macedonia unlucky here.
    One disallowed for cms offside. Just hit the post.

And now concede on the break after a dubious challenge.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Isn't reform up from 2% to 4% (+2) though long way from @HYUFD prediction of 10-15%
  • Options

Floater said:

Isn't reform up from 2% to 4% (+2) though long way from @HYUFD prediction of 10-15%
    If the Tories were to lose 10% over the next 18 months, I would expect about half of that to go to Reform.
  • Options

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

The polite version is the massive rise in Homes In Multiple Occupation. Houses rented by the bedroom. At least these (sometimes) adhere to fire regs etc.

The impolite version is bunkbeds in every room - a recreation of the Victorian slums. This happens in quite nice districts of London. Imagine how many people you can get in a 5 bed house, if you use all the living spaces and a bathroom or 2....
  • Options
    moonshine said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Just caught the start of Politics Live and it's obvious that the pensions triple lock is a massive elephant trap for Labour and they are going to walk straight into it.

How so?
    Well, I think it's obvious that the Tories will not raise pensions in line with wages (6% or something apparently) but will do so in line with inflation. So pensioners will get a rise. The Labour woman on the show (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Lewell-Buck) was saying "manifesto pledge, tax billionaires, etc. etc." and I suspect that's what Labour will say.

I suspect most people will be understanding of the issue and will just see Labour as being incredibly juvenile.
    The state pension is £179.60 a week, almost exactly half the minimum wage, so it is not clear that raising it will be electorally disastrous, though tbh I've never quite worked out why so many hate the triple lock as too generous; iirc it only means £10 or so more anyway.
    1) Old people tend to vote Tory
    2) Therefore all old people are Tories
    3) Therefore they are all evil and rich
    4) Therefore hating old people is good.
    Taken to its conclusion the triple lock will eventually take up the whole uk budget.
    I would support getting rid of the triple lock.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

moonshine said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Just caught the start of Politics Live and it's obvious that the pensions triple lock is a massive elephant trap for Labour and they are going to walk straight into it.

How so?
    Well, I think it's obvious that the Tories will not raise pensions in line with wages (6% or something apparently) but will do so in line with inflation. So pensioners will get a rise. The Labour woman on the show (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Lewell-Buck) was saying "manifesto pledge, tax billionaires, etc. etc." and I suspect that's what Labour will say.

I suspect most people will be understanding of the issue and will just see Labour as being incredibly juvenile.
    The state pension is £179.60 a week, almost exactly half the minimum wage, so it is not clear that raising it will be electorally disastrous, though tbh I've never quite worked out why so many hate the triple lock as too generous; iirc it only means £10 or so more anyway.
    Taken to its conclusion the triple lock will eventually take up the whole uk budget.
    And I would and as a pensioner I personally benefit from the triple lock
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058

Wasn't the last politician to say that Paddy Ashdown? And he had to!
  • Options
    felix said:

@RedfieldWilton
    ·
    26s

Conservative 44% (–)
    Labour 33% (-1)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (+1)

Changes +/- 13 June

Scottish split:
    SNP 45% nc
    Con 22% -3
    Lab 22% +3
    Grn 3% +2
    LD 3% -7
    oth 5%
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Andy_JS said:

moonshine said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

How so?

Just make the pension, or some part of it, means tested. Getting rid of the triple lock would only affect the poorest pensioners.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

So everyone gets a say except the people who live in the area and have to see their environment and way of life obliterated. You're a Stalinist!
    I've you want a view you need to own the view.

If you don't want 1000 new houses surrounding your village all you will need to do is bid more than the developers are and you can keep the land the way it is.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,615

algarkirk said:

To be fair Labour SFAICS holds not a single rural seat. They have to start somewhere. Maybe they think that the strap line 'Make your posh Dorset village as vibrant as Bootle, Vote Labour, in Bootle they think it makes sense' doesn't make the grade.

But surely this is a spoof?

HEY! What's wrong with Bootle?
    Lovely shopping centre.......

And there's this scene from ultra Tory rural Bootle too:

https://aircrashsites.co.uk/air-raids-bomb-sites/p/

• Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

Its not just due to free movement but its a major factor. Plus of course the birth rate has increased in part due to a movement of fertile young people to the UK who've then had kids so that feeds in too.

Either way, for @Stark_Dawning to fly the flag for free movement then get outraged that people want to "despoil" his area . . . I think there's a term or two for that.
    It's a two word term....
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

In my local area a huge amount of housebuilding has been taking place recently, and yet house prices still continue to rise. This is what happens when the population of the country increases by 10 million in 20 years, whereas in the 1970s and 80s it hardly increased at all. That's why people could afford to buy homes at that time.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

It's a two word term....
    Any thoughts on my idea to park immigrants on the Goodwin Sands?

"Put the immigrants out to sea. Where the real estate is free. And they are far away from me."

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Floater said:

And people wonder why the restrictions continue.
    Sad but true
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Wasn't the last politician to say that Paddy Ashdown? And he had to!
    Well, a hat-shaped cake....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

eek said:

ping said:

F£&k the nimbys.

New Zealand and Australia have, quite carefully, made sure that we can't export wrinkles there. So it would be working age people you would be sending....
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

MaxPB said:

This needs to be scrutinised widely on the national news. And as you say, the difference this time is there has been no further intervention so they are unable to claim that the vastly better numbers are a result of their actions.

Let this be widely scrutinised.
    SAGE just don’t acknowledge that there is any downside to the restrictions. Because that is “not their job” and/or area of expertise. They argue when challenged that is is for the politicians to combine their advice with other factor to reach a balanced policy.

That might be just about defensible if there was any evidence of alternative or competing input into the decision making process, or if various Sage advisers weren’t perfectly content to appear all over the media declaring that the country WOULD have to endure continuation or tightening of restrictions if certain things happen.

Absolutely no acknowledgement in those interviews that there is always a choice to be made and Covid (or even the wider NHS) isn’t the only factor in the equation. Occasionally they might wave a hand to mental health, but that is pretty much as far as they’ll stray.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713
    I'm enjoying this Ukraine v Austria game.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

glw said:

FF43 said:

Broadcast TV is going to zero.

See News, GB.
This discussion has been closed.