Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Johnson be tempted to go for an early election – just after the new boundaries come into effec

Comments

• Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Can anyone recommend a good historical drama? Have we seen them all?

Something like Vikings. The Borgias. The Tudors. Spartacus

I want some gladiators in my life. I want to escape

Black Sails maybe.
    Ah, I've done that. Quite fun

I fear I have seen them all. Covid has put a stop on new productions, and now it shows
    You can watch the French production of the Accursed Kings series on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU3-_C6IcWo
    Based on the brilliant Druon books.

Fantastic!

That’s the rest of my weekend taken care of.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,387
    Andy_JS said:

I know two anti-vaxxers.

One is a Caribbean-born lady who looks after my friends kids. Aged around 50, she is a keen painter, and pleasant enough, but she believes the vaccines are highly dangerous.

The other is a judge. Having achieved one of the highest “firsts” at her prestigious university, she has climbed the ranks of the judicial profession although things have been paused a bit as she has two young children. Aged around 45, she is a keen baker, but she believes the vaccines are highly dangerous.

How do these people square their beliefs with the fact that 76% of the UK population has had the vaccine, almost entirely without any serious problems?
    The vaccine was invented less than a year ago. You have no idea what problems it may cause.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,377
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Wait, Anne Boleyn on C5 is the Woke one, isn't it? the sort of thing Foxy would like?

Hmm. Maybe it will be OK anyway?

Imdb Viewer Rating: 1.2/10

ONE POINT TWO OUT OF TEN

"Anne Boleyn drama a ratings flop for Channel 5"

Go Woke, Go Broke

Any other ideas?

The Channel 5 and Sony-backed Fable Pictures co-production opened with just 774,000 viewers, despite all the publicity surrounding it, or just a 5.2 per cent audience share. These figures seem even worse when compared to the 2.19 million viewers (13.2 per cent) the far lower profile Our Yorkshire Vet gained in the same slot a week earlier.

Even the Guardian only gave it 3 out of 5 stars.
    Given that we've had the Anne Boleyn story in the Tudors and Wolf Hall in recent years what was the point of another version.
    Certain periods do tend to get really overdone. I guess partly because there's a proven market for them, and partly as it saves on the costuming budgets. Flawed though each was, The Favourite and Mary Queen of Scots in recent years were comparitively fresh by comparison.

Though my guily pleasure is Reign - an utterly ridiculous and silly take on the young Mary Queen of Scots in the french court (all with British accents, naturally). I've said before it was one of the most bonkers things I've seen on TV and I stand by that, plus there was just inherent entertainment value in half the time dealing with teen network style melodrama around relationships, and then hard switch to 'I must lock you in the tower, my queen, so I can appropriate that mercenary force you wanted to send to scotland so I can retake Calais', 'time to get the pope to legitimse my bastard son and disinherit my heir' and 'Oh no, the king has turned protestant' 'plague is here' and something something pagans and nostradamus and catherine de medici.

I'm baffled that, for example, the Hundred Years' War, and/or the War of the Roses receive so much less attention from those looking to do historical drama. I'd wondered whether it was because the Shakespeare history plays were so overbearing as a popular history of the period that it was too intimidating.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    Andy_JS said:

I know two anti-vaxxers.

One is a Caribbean-born lady who looks after my friends kids. Aged around 50, she is a keen painter, and pleasant enough, but she believes the vaccines are highly dangerous.

The other is a judge. Having achieved one of the highest “firsts” at her prestigious university, she has climbed the ranks of the judicial profession although things have been paused a bit as she has two young children. Aged around 45, she is a keen baker, but she believes the vaccines are highly dangerous.

How do these people square their beliefs with the fact that 76% of the UK population has had the vaccine, almost entirely without any serious problems?
    Mostly with long term side effects, rather than short term.

As if there are no longer term side effects of catching covid!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    At the @G7 next week, I will ask my fellow leaders to help vaccinate the world by the end of next year.

We have a responsibility to do everything we can to defeat COVID around the world.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1401290363134959616?s=20
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Wait, Anne Boleyn on C5 is the Woke one, isn't it? the sort of thing Foxy would like?

ONE POINT TWO OUT OF TEN

Go Woke, Go Broke

Any other ideas?

The Channel 5 and Sony-backed Fable Pictures co-production opened with just 774,000 viewers, despite all the publicity surrounding it, or just a 5.2 per cent audience share. These figures seem even worse when compared to the 2.19 million viewers (13.2 per cent) the far lower profile Our Yorkshire Vet gained in the same slot a week earlier.

Why is WOKE ART so shit? TV, movies, plays, whatever.....

It is unquestionably shit.

It reminds me of totalitarian architecture, which, with a few rare exceptions - Mussolini's Italy, maybe Stalin's Gothic skyscrapers? - is horribly dispiriting, even when there is plenty of money, talent, ambition. There is an innate anti-human sterility. A rigidity of thought and an exclusion of imagination, a desolate desire not to dare, except in approved ways

Woke Art is the same
    Because it's like being lectured to in a really sanctimonious way.
    People have always lectured through art. But it needs to be good at the same time, not praised as good because of the lectured point.
    Good? Who gets to judge?
    Individuals will according to taste of course. Point being if is not to people's taste, for whatever reason, they won't enjoy it even if they would agree with the lectured point since the message alone won't cover for deficincies elsewhere.

And if the reason people give for something being good is solely to do with the lectured point, or primarily about it (rather than, say, acting, direction, story), I'd suggest that is a reasonable red flag. Even propaganda films vary in quality.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Black Sails maybe.
    Ah, I've done that. Quite fun

I fear I have seen them all. Covid has put a stop on new productions, and now it shows
    You can watch the French production of the Accursed Kings series on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU3-_C6IcWo
    Based on the brilliant Druon books.

Fantastic!

That’s the rest of my weekend taken care of.
    Avoid book 7, it was crap. But an adaption sounds fun.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

kle4 said:

Leon said:

ONE POINT TWO OUT OF TEN

Go Woke, Go Broke

Any other ideas?

Given that we've had the Anne Boleyn story in the Tudors and Wolf Hall in recent years what was the point of another version.
    Certain periods do tend to get really overdone. I guess partly because there's a proven market for them, and partly as it saves on the costuming budgets. Flawed though each was, The Favourite and Mary Queen of Scots in recent years were comparitively fresh by comparison.

Though my guily pleasure is Reign - an utterly ridiculous and silly take on the young Mary Queen of Scots in the french court (all with British accents, naturally). I've said before it was one of the most bonkers things I've seen on TV and I stand by that, plus there was just inherent entertainment value in half the time dealing with teen network style melodrama around relationships, and then hard switch to 'I must lock you in the tower, my queen, so I can appropriate that mercenary force you wanted to send to scotland so I can retake Calais', 'time to get the pope to legitimse my bastard son and disinherit my heir' and 'Oh no, the king has turned protestant' 'plague is here' and something something pagans and nostradamus and catherine de medici.

I'm baffled that, for example, the Hundred Years' War, and/or the War of the Roses receive so much less attention from those looking to do historical drama. I'd wondered whether it was because the Shakespeare history plays were so overbearing as a popular history of the period that it was too intimidating.
    There was a Netflix film of Henry Vth recently

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/true-story-henry-v-englands-warrior-king-180973432/
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Is Boris again a lucky general? With Trump going, he can be seen getting stuff done on world economics and vaccinations. If the big baby was still in charge, I presume this G7 would be predictable Trump having a stomp and nothing getting done.

I presume the wording of "vaccinate the world" agreement has been basically trashed out by the minions already, and now the grown ups are in charge, there isn't a danger of Sleep Joe taking offense to being given the wrong type of sparkling water and throwing it all out with the bath water.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

ONE POINT TWO OUT OF TEN

Go Woke, Go Broke

Any other ideas?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/true-story-henry-v-englands-warrior-king-180973432/
    Yes, and it was terrible. Timothee Chalamet is a charisma black hole, as also seen in Little Women (the film had other issues, but that was the main one). Has me worried for the upcoming Dune.

Never saw the Robert the Bruce movie Outlaw King, that sounded interesting as he is an interesting figure.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Men only vaccine clinics in Batley

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h
    There’s a men only COVID-19 pop up vaccination clinic at Jame Masjid, Henry Street, Batley, WF17 6JJ this evening .

Come along 6-10pm to get your jab
    @CuroHealth

https://twitter.com/KirkleesCouncil/status/1401150613157777410?s=20

If it gets the rate up in an undervaxxed community then what is the problem, indeed may lead to a higher rate in the rest of the community.
    Would you say the same if it was a "white only clinic"? I very much doubt it
  • Options
    I wonder if my Didsbury born, Daily Mail reading mother might have experience a bit of cognitive dissonance reading this. On the one hand she still goes their regularly, yet the Daily Mail says it is a no go area for whites...

https://twitter.com/seandsmyth/status/1401234726493503501?s=19
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    dixiedean said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Anne Boleyn on Channel 5 is quite good.
    Oooh. Thanks

This is what makes PB civilised. You can be having a good old ding dong on one subject, and then the same person gives a good tip, recommends a movie, gives excellent legal advice, tells you how to use a fossilised sex toy, etc

This is why PB is way better than social media

Ta
    Something as undemanding as Vikings and Spartacus TV shows

Britannia

Something a bit more serious

Isabel

Or the 2005 production of Master and Margarita (up your street I think anything with cigar chomping gun totting... cat)

Something New

Shadow and Bone.

Underestimated blast from past

70’s series of Michener’s Centennial
    Oh. I loved Centennial as a kid. Even read the book and several other Micheners. Yes, I was weird.
    What platform is it on?
    IF you liked Centennial, you might also like another mini series "George Washington"
    > starring Barry Bostwick, Patty Duke, Lloyd Bridges & Jaclyn Smith (had a BIG crush on her!)

"George Washington" Epic Historical 1984 Mini-Series - Part 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoVCFt0HN9w
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h
    There’s a men only COVID-19 pop up vaccination clinic at Jame Masjid, Henry Street, Batley, WF17 6JJ this evening .

@CuroHealth

If it gets the rate up in an undervaxxed community then what is the problem, indeed may lead to a higher rate in the rest of the community.
    It isn't a racially segregated session, so not sure what your point is.

It makes sense to promote the vaccine in undervaxxed communities for everyone's safety.
  • Options
    Wallace and Gromit: Comedy duo set for Preston statue

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-57364753

They could have put it on the Coulson plinth in Bristol....
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,400
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ONE POINT TWO OUT OF TEN

Go Woke, Go Broke

Any other ideas?

It reminds me of totalitarian architecture, which, with a few rare exceptions - Mussolini's Italy, maybe Stalin's Gothic skyscrapers? - is horribly dispiriting, even when there is plenty of money, talent, ambition. There is an innate anti-human sterility. A rigidity of thought and an exclusion of imagination, a desolate desire not to dare, except in approved ways

Woke Art is the same
    This is Us is pretty woke and is fantastic plus what do you know about art?
    I have not seen it, but I understand This Is Us is superb and very not Woke, just great.

Perhaps an equivalent (which I have seen) is When They See Us, about the "wilding" murder trials in NYC. It's a magnificent series, brilliantly acted, and tells an honest tale with passion and candour, and only a few flaws (they ignored the victim too much). This, again, is not Woke Art, It's just ART

Woke Art is when you inject unnecessary political correctness and ideological rightness and laborious agendas into an artifice that does not need it and suffers thereby, it is when you tell and you don't show, it is the opposite of inspiration, it is art by bullet point, it is nearly always awful

And now my brother in Peru wants to talk about UFOs so I bid you all goodnight
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    Foxy said:

I wonder if my Didsbury born, Daily Mail reading mother might have experience a bit of cognitive dissonance reading this. On the one hand she still goes their regularly, yet the Daily Mail says it is a no go area for whites...

Didsbury, Manchester? I thought that was quite a trendy middle-class area.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

Sexually segregated?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

I know two anti-vaxxers.

The vaccine was invented less than a year ago. You have no idea what problems it may cause.
    Is that you, Contrarian??
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

It makes sense to promote the vaccine in undervaxxed communities for everyone's safety.
    Sorry no it doesn't. They need to learn they live in britain and we believe in equality here and there is nothing wrong with people of any gender, colour or creed. If everytime they try and deviate we give into them they will never learn.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ONE POINT TWO OUT OF TEN

Go Woke, Go Broke

Any other ideas?

Woke Art is the same
    People have always lectured through art. But it needs to be good at the same time, not praised as good because of the lectured point.
    Good? Who gets to judge?
    Individuals will according to taste of course. Point being if is not to people's taste, for whatever reason, they won't enjoy it even if they would agree with the lectured point since the message alone won't cover for deficincies elsewhere.

And if the reason people give for something being good is solely to do with the lectured point, or primarily about it (rather than, say, acting, direction, story), I'd suggest that is a reasonable red flag. Even propaganda films vary in quality.
    There are a thousand reasons why people like art. Trying to unpick them is a fool's errand.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Didsbury, Manchester? I thought that was quite a trendy middle-class area.
    It is...
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ONE POINT TWO OUT OF TEN

Go Woke, Go Broke

Any other ideas?

Woke Art is the same
    I have not seen it, but I understand This Is Us is superb and very not Woke, just great.

Perhaps an equivalent (which I have seen) is When They See Us, about the "wilding" murder trials in NYC. It's a magnificent series, brilliantly acted, and tells an honest tale with passion and candour, and only a few flaws (they ignored the victim too much). This, again, is not Woke Art, It's just ART

Woke Art is when you inject unnecessary political correctness and ideological rightness and laborious agendas into an artifice that does not need it and suffers thereby, it is when you tell and you don't show, it is the opposite of inspiration, it is art by bullet point, it is nearly always awful

Goodnight.

When They See Us is magnificent.

And also woke.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

Sexually segregated?
    I gave up because he was never going to see the point and I am damn sure if the undervaxxed community had been for example BNP members he would have been up in arms at the though of white only clinics to encourage them to get the vaccine. Typical wokery.....its discrimination unless its a group we think are on the right side of woke
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

ONE POINT TWO OUT OF TEN

Go Woke, Go Broke

Any other ideas?

Yes. It wasn't quite as bad as Knightfall, but in the same general area.

I liked The Witcher, though it isn't strictly speaking historical, it has a similar aesthetic - as in big guy wanders around with a sword and sticks it into other people.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

Wallace and Gromit were Wiganers!
    Cultural appropriation. Pull it down!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,056
    We seem to spend too much time on here hearing from Leicester and about Leicester. It’s a resolutely mediocre place. Its large Asian population is pretty much the only interesting thing about it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,790
    TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

I know two anti-vaxxers.

We would know by now if there were any problems.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

Sorry no it doesn't. They need to learn they live in britain and we believe in equality here and there is nothing wrong with people of any gender, colour or creed. If everytime they try and deviate we give into them they will never learn.
    I would have no problem with a campaign targeting native Cornish speakers if that was shown to be an under vaxxed community.

I have often posted here how I think that Orthodox Islamic culture is institutionally misogynistic and needs to catch up with the modern world, but with healthcare you need to meet them where they are, not where you think they should be.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

I know two anti-vaxxers.

Plenty of idea, given it’s been tested and trialled and administered to millions. You are one of the best posters on PB, but you seem keen to trash the vaccine.
  • Options

We seem to spend too much time on here hearing from Leicester and about Leicester. It’s a resolutely mediocre place. Its large Asian population is pretty much the only interesting thing about it.

The city's motto is "Semper Eadem" (always the same).

Just trying to address the metropolitan bias so prevalent in British politics 😀
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Indeed and that's not very interesting either, from my perspective.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

I would have no problem with a campaign targeting native Cornish speakers if that was shown to be an under vaxxed community.

I have often posted here how I think that Orthodox Islamic culture is institutionally misogynistic and needs to catch up with the modern world, but with healthcare you need to meet them where they are, not where you think they should be.

I don't have a problem with a campaign targetting muslims as an undervaxxed community. I do have a problem when we pander to their idiocy about women. Just as I would have a problem if someone pandered to bnp members by saying we will put up a clinic only staffed by white english people. It is the clinic I object to not a campaign to encourage them to get vaxxed because all you are showing them is if they make a fuss we will abandon our equality principles and pander to their predjudices.

Have a campaign, if they won't get vaxxed in case a woman is going to stick a needle in them then fuck it and let them die. Think of it as evolution in action
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

Misogyny in religion is unfortunate in the extreme. I always found the Christian story deeply unsettling, advancing the myth of a virgin birth, as if a woman having sex was something rather less than immaculate.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

I know two anti-vaxxers.

We would know by now if there were any problems.
    Are you sure?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ONE POINT TWO OUT OF TEN

Go Woke, Go Broke

Any other ideas?

Woke Art is the same

If you define woke art as art with an agenda superimposed, then it's bound to be rubbish, as is anti-woke art or anything else where the propaganda gets in the way of the creation.

You might actually like Outlander 1-2 (Netflix, which I caught up with recently) - basically about historical romp around the Scottish clans, Bonnie Prince Charlie etc. Because it's got a plucky heroine and a dashing highlander, it was initially written off as Mills & Boon stuff, but it cheerfully through time travel, fantasy, satire, brutality, and some really good acting into the mix, and it's really very good. Try a couple of installments to get the flavour.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

No, it’s not massively interesting!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

I know two anti-vaxxers.

Plenty of idea, given it’s been tested and trialled and administered to millions. You are one of the best posters on PB, but you seem keen to trash the vaccine.
    I suppose that, in principle, it's possible that one of the vaccines could have an unknown side effect that won't become apparent until a year after receiving it, but it's very unlikely. All sorts of things might be true, but it's not rational to to weight a low probability of an unknown effect as equal to a known probability of a known effect that is greater than it would be reasonable to assign to the unknown effect.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

Misogyny in religion is unfortunate in the extreme. I always found the Christian story deeply unsettling, advancing the myth of a virgin birth, as if a woman having sex was something rather less than immaculate.
    All the people of the book have the same issue though don't know why you single out christians there. As I understand it basically

Jews : old testament plus assorted extra texts
    Christians : old testament supplanted by new testament plus assorted texts
    Muslims : old testament, new testament supplanted by the quran and assorted texts

Everything from the old testament onwards has its fair share of women being second class
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

I know two anti-vaxxers.

That is kind of you to say. My point is that this is a jet fresh vaccine. I don't know enough about vaccines to know when any potential side effects would turn up.

I recently mentioned a phenomenon whereby those with tinnitus reported that their condition had been exacerbated. Then we found out about younger pregnant women.

I really don't know what other side effects may or may not be unearthed and when. None of us do.

I have had both my jabs. But it is a calculated risk. I think the stats are on my side but an not 100% sure. No one can be.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yes, just Middle England, literally and metaphorically. Still being looked down on by the London glitterati. Nothing ever changes...

I love my adopted city, for all its rough edges.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Nor should it be. People are people not ethnic blocks
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

London has a population of 9 million, so what attention it gets on here is almost certainly justified.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

I know two anti-vaxxers.

I agree with you on basis just how widely it has been used. Topping may say the fenfluramine issue took years to reveal the lung and heart problems, but just wasn’t used to the scale these vaccines are. Even the Debendox Debacle may have been picked up earlier with this amount of use and scrutiny.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy it has of course the best hunting in the land. Which I'm sure you're proud of, hence your name.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, just Middle England, literally and metaphorically. Still being looked down on by the London glitterati. Nothing ever changes...

Where did you say you were born or socialised?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

All the people of the book have the same issue though don't know why you single out christians there. As I understand it basically

Muslims : old testament, new testament supplanted by the quran and assorted texts

Everything from the old testament onwards has its fair share of women being second class
    Oh absolutely - I completely agree. I was just citing that as an example.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

London has a population of 9 million, so what attention it gets on here is almost certainly justified.
    Is leicester not a city? You are addressing metropolitan bias by talking about another city? Surely addressing metropolitan bias would entail posting about life in the middle of buttfuck nowhere
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    edited June 2021

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

I find it a bit sad. Poor old Joseph.

EDIT: An angel for God's sake!
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

Not just the Abrahamic traditions, it was the Hindus that had suttee for example.

Misogyny is as old as humankind, so it is not surprising to see it in religious cultures. It is possible to evolve religious understanding though this is more difficult for Islam, as the other Abrahamic religions believe in continuing revelation, albeit understood in different ways.

• Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

I’m not sure there’s much ‘looking down’ going on - why the inferiority complex? I don’t think Leicester is representative of middle England, or anything much at all.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

I’m not sure there’s much ‘looking down’ going on - why the inferiority complex? I don’t think Leicester is representative of middle England, or anything much at all.
    Sounds like "looking down" to me...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Foxy it has of course the best hunting in the land. Which I'm sure you're proud of, hence your name.
    I think you’d be hard pressed to find a hunt in Leicester. Do you mean rural Leicestershire? Rutland?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

Not just the Abrahamic traditions, it was the Hindus that had suttee for example.

Misogyny is as old as humankind, so it is not surprising to see it in religious cultures. It is possible to evolve religious understanding though this is more difficult for Islam, as the other Abrahamic religions believe in continuing revelation, albeit understood in different ways.

I wasnt claiming people of the book were the only ones by any means merely pointing out it was endemic in all the people of the book faiths not just a christian thing. All faiths have some pretty vile things they did at one time or another. Thankfully most have moved on
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Is leicester not a city? You are addressing metropolitan bias by talking about another city? Surely addressing metropolitan bias would entail posting about life in the middle of buttfuck nowhere
    I spoke of Leicester and Leicestershire, much of which is very rural. The centre of England is in the small village of Fenny Drayton for example.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    edit
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

I think you’d be hard pressed to find a hunt in Leicester. Do you mean rural Leicestershire? Rutland?
    I do. And it's great that Foxy names himself in their honour.
  • Options
    I've never found "Guernica" to be aesthetically pleasing. Couldn't he have painted sunflowers instead?
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

I was born in Wigan, but have lived all over.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

You seem to have an odd inferiority complex about the place, which is unjustified. It’s a mediocre, normal, medium-sized city. That’s it. It’s not somehow a microcosm of middle England, why do you think it is?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

As a fox, I am glad hunting has been banned. My username was originally carried over from a football site.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

I know two anti-vaxxers.

I agree with you on basis just how widely it has been used. Topping may say the fenfluramine issue took years to reveal the lung and heart problems, but just wasn’t used to the scale these vaccines are. Even the Debendox Debacle may have been picked up earlier with this amount of use and scrutiny.
    I very much hope so. But we don't know conclusively. Plenty of side effects maybe not reported.

But the point or principle is that we don't know for sure.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

I find it a bit sad. Poor old Joseph.

EDIT: An angel for God's sake!
    To the bibles defence, the lechers of Susanna were strung up, Adam’s first other half before Eve refused to be subservient to him, and it’s pretty much accepted as fair enough. And historically I think the understanding is miraculous virgin births were quite common at the time to say no one was quite sure who the father was, and the church is gradually fitting thisin.

Little is really known about Mary’s Joseph, carpenter might under sell it, but Mary was in a very prominent extended family.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

As a fox, I am glad hunting has been banned. My username was originally carried over from a football site.
    LOL.

Why do you think foxes are associated with Leicester or Leicestershire?.

It wasn't because of football.
  • Options
    No polling this evening that we can all get overexcited over MoE movement?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

gealbhan said:

TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

I know two anti-vaxxers.

I very much hope so. But we don't know conclusively. Plenty of side effects maybe not reported.

And then there is the timing of this discussion and such statements? Small % chance you may be right, but the danger now of playing into the hands of the anti vaxxers
  • Options
    Foxy said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

You said that with Verve! 🙂
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

TOPPING said:

gealbhan said:

TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

I know two anti-vaxxers.

And then there is the timing of this discussion and such statements? Small % chance you may be right, but the danger now of playing into the hands of the anti vaxxers
    Yes I realise that because as of this moment it seems ridiculous to say there is a risk from the vaccines.

But we are in a bonkers time and we can't say for sure.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

You seem to have an odd inferiority complex about the place, which is unjustified. It’s a mediocre, normal, medium-sized city. That’s it. It’s not somehow a microcosm of middle England, why do you think it is?
    I said taken as a whole county, just look at these demographics, near identical to national figures:

https://www.plumplot.co.uk/Leicestershire-population.html
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

LOL.

No, and there used to be hunting regalia on the football insignia, but those days are gone and society has progressed.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

LOL.

No, and there used to be hunting regalia on the football insignia, but those days are gone and society has progressed.
    Yes now foxes get shot, poisoned and trapped and die over several days in lingering agony. Progress indeed
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

LOL.

You cannot be so stupid as to not realise the symbolism of a fox in Leicestershire. So why are you celebrating those bad old days?

I'm all for it but I thought better of you.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

13 million if you take the metro area and ignore the arbitrary county lines.

That's almost a fifth of the country.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

LOL.

You cannot be so stupid as to not realise the symbolism of a fox in Leicestershire. So why are you celebrating those bad old days?

What’s this, PB night of the hunt?

Leave Foxy alone, pack of hyena!
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

LOL.

Ha! He has chosen as a username something referencing a totemic activity in Leicestershire. Foxhunting. And then says it is because of the Footie and he disapproves of foxhunting.

He is surely brighter than that.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Where's Casino?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848

No polling this evening that we can all get overexcited over MoE movement?

Well if it's all MOE that in itself is interesting give Keirs Tears For Piers... :cry:
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

gealbhan said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

LOL.

Ha! He has chosen as a username something referencing a totemic activity in Leicestershire. Foxhunting. And then says it is because of the Footie and he disapproves of foxhunting.

As he said, the icon has moved on to loving the fox these days of woke, not loving the hunt of them? Iconic reappropriation?

Operate a Kill All Sparrows policy instead, we are well used to it on here. 😆
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Where's Casino?
    Gromit doesn't get paid and has a master....enough said
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Another idiot sports man...Rahm has just tested positive for covid, while leading a big tournament (1st prize over $1.5m) by miles....was unvaccinated.

https://twitter.com/BrianMFloyd/status/1401319079672123393?s=19
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

gealbhan said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Where's Casino?
    Gromit doesn't get paid and has a master....enough said
    And a white male to boot....
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

Are any Christians in the UK demanding separate male and female vaccination sessions?
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

TOPPING said:

gealbhan said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

LOL.

As he said, the icon has moved on to loving the fox these days of woke, not loving the hunt of them? Iconic reappropriation?

Operate a Kill All Sparrows policy instead, we are well used to it on here. 😆
    Icons are icons for a reason.

Foxes in Leicestershire are or were hunted.

Foxy knows that. Or should do. Despite being a northerner.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

Are any Christians in the UK demanding separate male and female vaccination sessions?
    To be fair we dont know muslims are demanding them or its some woke idiot thinking it will encourage them. In my experience the majority of muslims have put mysogyny aside and its mostly an older first generation thing
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    MaxPB said:

Hmm, aiui the government pushed the 21% proposal down to 15% becuase they and others felt it was much more likely to gain assent from the G20 at 15% at which point it becomes unstoppable. It was literally a case of let's not make great the enemy of good. The UK felt that at 21% it would run into loads of G20 opposition and then that means reopening negotiations at that stage which means it gets watered down rather than it just being presented and passed.

Biden's people, I guess, must have seen the wisdom of the approach and agreed but stuck in the "at least" 15% which allows for a future revision to bring it up.

A sensible approach. Establish the principle and then the rate can be raised.

Of more interest to me is how this will actually work. There seems very little on this atm. That detail is critical if this is going to make a real difference.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    Pagan2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

To be fair we dont know muslims are demanding them or its some woke idiot thinking it will encourage them. In my experience the majority of muslims have put mysogyny aside and its mostly an older first generation thing
    Unfortunately, it's the older generation most needing the jabs, though.
  • Options
    The latest Zoe/Covid map of estimated cases:

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ONE POINT TWO OUT OF TEN

Go Woke, Go Broke

Any other ideas?

Woke Art is the same
    Good? Who gets to judge?

There are a thousand reasons why people like art. Trying to unpick them is a fool's errand.
    So no one should ever attempt to analyse art or proffer an opinion on it then? Thanks, but I'll keep having an opinion about it and about others' opinions on it.

Trying to suggest people should not attempt to unpick reasons people like art sounds like an even bigger fools errand. Attempting to unpick reasons at least generates interesting debate for one.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The predictable chain letter...make it sound like UK spends less than everybody else, which is not true and obviously not corrected by the BBC.

BBC News - Foreign aid: Charities criticise 'devastating' cuts ahead of G7
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57359119
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,472

The predictable chain letter...make it sound like UK spends less than everybody else, which is not true and obviously not corrected by the BBC.

Why should the BBC correct an inference possibly only you have drawn? In any case, it does. Your link gives figures of .5% GNI (a cut from .7% which was a manifesto commitment) and £10 billion.

The cut amounts to 30 per cent, which is a fair old chunk. No wonder it is opposed by many Conservatives as well as charities.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Why should the BBC correct an inference possibly only you have drawn? In any case, it does. Your link gives figures of .5% GNI (a cut from .7% which was a manifesto commitment) and £10 billion.

The cut amounts to 30 per cent, which is a fair old chunk. No wonder it is opposed by many Conservatives as well as charities.
    Its not an inference, the chain letter says it...while the rest are spending more, the UK is cutting...true, but its like saying Man City are cutting their budget next season and Burley are going to spend more.

The UK has consistently spent significantly more on aid for many years than every other big country and continues to do so, even with the cuts. Many countries haven't ever paid the 0.7%, often not even 0.5%.

That's the context which is omitted.

Now, personally, i would have ringfenced a load of it for vaccines, so still 0.7%, but includes all the contributions to this important necessary task.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

I know two anti-vaxxers.

People ingest all kinds of weird shit.

If bad stuff is going to happen, it usually happens pretty bloody quickly.

The chances of it terrible problems at some indeterminate date in the future are extremely slim.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    TOPPING said:

gealbhan said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

LOL.

Ha! He has chosen as a username something referencing a totemic activity in Leicestershire.

What have foxes got to do with dogging?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9656133/Heartbroken-Jon-Rahm-forced-WITHDRAW-Memorial-Tournament-testing-positive-Covid.html

Jon Rahm has been forced to withdraw from the Memorial Tournament
    He was informed he had tested positive for Covid-19 after the third round
    The Spaniard had established a six-shot advantage at the top of the leaderboard

How long will this nonsense continue? He’s got COVID, so what? They’re admitting lots of spectators to these tournaments so at what difference does it make if a golfer has COVID?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,320
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

isam said:

It sure is diverse. Don’t think the WWC can be blamed too much

https://www.newham.info/newham-facts-and-figures/

I'm not in the "blame" business - I'm pointing out it's worth considering the possibility of vaccine refusal among the White British and such numbers may not be insignificant.

There's an undercurrent of lazy thinking assuming all those refusing the vaccine are from ethnic minorities and I'm challenging that.
    I've never thought that, there is PLENTY of anti-vaxxery amongst white British. However I would say it is different by class. Most WWC that I encounter are pretty sensible "sure, jab me up, get it done"

The anti-vaxxing "whites" I know are ALL middle class, if not posh. The Greens, the Corbyn types, the very aristo Tories with odd views, astrologers, Extinction Rebellioners, student kids with social media memes in their heads
    The 'Bill Gates has microchipped the vaccine' conspiracy nutters and the 'Gaia is my goddess' new age nutters.
    I've met half a dozen antivaxxing white Brits. They all fall into these categories. All middle class, or posher

Yeah, but you live in a weird bubble. Most of the anti-vaxxing that I have encountered is in the West Indian and Hindu communities in Leicester, but I have heard it too from WWC patients. The only people that I know in XR go to my church and have been vaccinated.
    We all live in a weird bubble. By definition. Yours is just more boring
    Middle England, literally and metaphorically, and looked down on by the North London elite.

Same as it ever was.
    You work (and live?) in Leicester, the biggest non white majority city in the country, and the only one of any size. This is not Middle England, "literally and metaphorically". You are SO ridiculous
    The literal centre of England is in Leicestershire, according to the OS:

BBC News - 'New centre of England' marked in Fenny Drayton
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-22890463

And taking Leicester and Leicestershire as a whole is metaphorical Middle England too, albeit with an ethnic population roughly twice the English average. The Median age, income, social class spectrum are all pretty close to the national average. The nature of my job brings me into contact with all strata of society, health being a great leveller.

While you claim to sell artisan stone dildos in North London. It is you that is ridiculous.

Yes, that's fair. But I still submit, we are all ridiculous, in the eyes of the Lord, who laughs at us. In a kindly way
    With you it seems to be just one loopy theory after another…
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654
    edited June 2021

It isn't an inference 'only some people draw'; it is the normal political playbook of some development charities.

Make them feel guilty; make what has happened sound as evil as possible; only acknowledge any good stuff with a huge and dominating bit of "but what about" rhetoric; and we will get the cash *and* get more money and influence for the future.

Whilst often paying their own management more than the Prime Minister.

They don't seem to want to acknowledge past achievements in their desparate scrabble to maintain the same old media lines.

Personally, I stopped supporting big charities some time ago because of this political stuff, with a small number of exceptions.

I am sure others have done the same.

It's up there items such with Oxfam's exaggerated analysis about 'inequality' by leaving out the pension entitlements we all have from the State.

If you are putting together a round-robin 'outraged' letter in that sort of arena, 1700 is perhaps per for the course.

That they get to play into some of the cruder political Twitter memes perhaps helps.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

gealbhan said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

LOL.

Ha! He has chosen as a username something referencing a totemic activity in Leicestershire.

What have foxes got to do with dogging?
    I'd watch it, @Foxy . Following the Sporran Crisis last night, I discovered certain Scots might make you into what is known as a "Full-Face Sporran". Perhaps you get to lift up the foxes chin to stow your valuables next to your valuables.

Presumably deters animal rights types from pinching your jewels.

https://proudlyscottish.com/traditional-fox-full-mask/

Unless the whole thing is a windup. Not a very woke video talking about them:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5xMs0td9ts

Given people running around the country releasing beavers, these will perhaps be along soon.
  • Options
    My keyboard seems to be struggling with typoos this morning.
This discussion has been closed.