Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Johnson be tempted to go for an early election – just after the new boundaries come into effec

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532

I do not usually post trivial but this amused me

Prince Harry and Megan have been demoted below Prince Andrew by the Palace

Only a bigot would be amused by that.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Heh.

Given how influential Twitter has become as a communications platform I’m deeply uncomfortable with their ability to ban individuals. In my view they should be regulated like a utility with a universal service obligation
  • Options

Heh.

Given how influential Twitter has become as a communications platform I’m deeply uncomfortable with their ability to ban individuals. In my view they should be regulated like a utility with a universal service obligation
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    edited June 2021
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Men only vaccine clinics in Batley

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h
    There’s a men only COVID-19 pop up vaccination clinic at Jame Masjid, Henry Street, Batley, WF17 6JJ this evening .

Come along 6-10pm to get your jab
    @CuroHealth

https://twitter.com/KirkleesCouncil/status/1401150613157777410?s=20

If it gets the rate up in an undervaxxed community then what is the problem, indeed may lead to a higher rate in the rest of the community.
    But will they actually exclude women if women try to get jabbed at this clinic? That is just wrong.
    Book them elsewhere. Requesting healthcare from one or other gender is a fairly regular request, and not an unreasonable one, though not possible in all settings.

Many women request this, but there are circumstances where men do too.
    Men only staff delivering the vaccine service?

Is there a women only service at the same time or do they have to wait?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

The fixed-term parliament act really needs to be strengthened. My preference would be that an early election can only be called when every single MP agrees to it. That would get rid of the ludicrous situation whereby the LOTO feels compelled to agree to an early dissolution simply to look macho - not because he believes it will do him or the country any good. If unanimity is required then he can save face and still prevent the PM playing silly beggars by getting an obscure backbencher to veto it. What's the problem with that?

That's zero extra steps to an early election though. A majority could just repeal it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

The Queen has always Randy Andy as her favourite. It is not terribly obvious why.
  • Options
    All the Governments fault so it seems .......

• Options
    Foxy said:

The Queen has always Randy Andy as her favourite. It is not terribly obvious why.
    Probably something to do with his friendships with convicted nonces?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h
    There’s a men only COVID-19 pop up vaccination clinic at Jame Masjid, Henry Street, Batley, WF17 6JJ this evening .

@CuroHealth

If it gets the rate up in an undervaxxed community then what is the problem, indeed may lead to a higher rate in the rest of the community.
    But will they actually exclude women if women try to get jabbed at this clinic? That is just wrong.
    Book them elsewhere. Requesting healthcare from one or other gender is a fairly regular request, and not an unreasonable one, though not possible in all settings.

That service is available:

https://twitter.com/KirkleesCouncil/status/1401155864019492865?s=19
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,386
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

So if a woman rocks up to to this clinic dispending jabs to all and sundry, she will be refused because her gender offends Muslim sensitivities?

Nah. Wrong. Sorry
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343

I have never in my 77 years been called a bigot by anyone

You need to get a sense of humour
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    Fishing said:

FPT

Quincel said:

I think the UK winning the American Revolutionary War is a really interesting counter-factual. I find it hard to believe that the independence movement wouldn't have continued and the US eventually split off - but it may surely have been a couple of decades (or even more) later and perhaps led to a very different world.

Obviously possible, but didn't happen with Canada and Australia.

Another possibility is that the real centre - economic if not political - of the British Empire could have moved from London to New York or Philadelphia over the next century. That was the view of a distinguished history professor who lectured at my school many years ago.
    At time of American Revolution "Canada" really meant Quebec. Which American Revolutionaries saw as a potential ally against the British, hence they invaded it.

However, turned out that the bulk of Quebeckers - in particular the Catholic Church - supported the Brits against the Americans, who they called "Bostonais". Because they feared the (to them) radical Protestantism of New England AND its economic rivalry. Whereas by 1770s the Brits were seen as protecting both the religion AND interests of Quebec.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

FPT

Quincel said:

I think the UK winning the American Revolutionary War is a really interesting counter-factual. I find it hard to believe that the independence movement wouldn't have continued and the US eventually split off - but it may surely have been a couple of decades (or even more) later and perhaps led to a very different world.

Another possibility is that the real centre - economic if not political - of the British Empire could have moved from London to New York or Philadelphia over the next century. That was the view of a distinguished history professor who lectured at my school many years ago.
    Slavery would have been abolished a lot earlier.
    Not sure about that. There would have been much more colonial pressure to keep it, and many more slaves to emancipate, so compensation, already hugely expensive, might have been unaffordable. Of course we'll never know.
    There was a very active anti-slavery movement in the US (Quaker IIRC)

Also one of the biggest issues with the banning of the slave trade was the Americans (although theoretically aligned) kept trading and there was a massive upsurge in numbers *after* the UK had banned the trade

I suspect it’s more likely that there would have been similar court activism that resulted in Lord Mansfield’s judgement in the UK
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,104
    edited June 2021
    Fishing said:

FPT

Quincel said:

That did happen briefly with the centre of the Portuguese empire moving to Brazil.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

So tell us why the Duke and Duchess of Sussex being demoted below the disgraced Prince Andrew, friend of nonces amused you?

Or do you think child abuse is something to laugh about?
  • Options

geoffw said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

Will they have men only polling stations?

Am I alone in wishing that someone identifying as a man rocks up at that clinic?
    Surely if a woman turned up they couldn’t deny her service on the grounds of gender?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,104
    Leon said:

Why the FUCK should we "prioritise vaccines for ethnic minorities" and thus deny them to white people, just because some people in those communities are too stupid to get jabbed?

So white people must be penalised for being good citizens?

Get tae feck with this SHITE
    The only priority now should be to vaccinate anyone who wants it - first come, first served.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

MattW said:

That Naomi "it's the" Wolf tweet is quite good.

Before getting banned, she was taking antivax lunacy to a whole new level.

In every sense of the phrase, that is a load of confused shit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Wouldn't consider anything after May 2023 to be "early".
    A year before the end of the term is pretty standard.
    Only the prospect of likely defeat makes anyone go longer.
    New boundaries in July point to Autumn 2023 as the most likely timeframe.

Incidentally. Except controversy and some weird and wonderful new constituencies on Monday.
    The criteria are so tight that keeping natural communities together will be much more difficult.
    Nay impossible in some areas.

Always the way with boundaries, as criteria are sometimes mutually exclusive, particularly given the target numbers. Cross county ones seem to stir up the most anger, a few other anomalies people seem able to live with - one near me has major conurbations of a town included in a different seat for instance, presumably for numbers, and no one cared though they probably objected at the time.
    You're Wiltshire? I presume you mean Chippenham, which is one of the most egregiously poor ones right now.
    Expect more like that to fit the quotas.
    You win a prize, sir.
    Is Michelle still your MP? I rather like her although she seems to have disappeared without trace
  • Options
    I'm not sure the monarchy or the tax situation would have survived if America remained a possession of the UK.

Probably Yanks sending MPs to the Mother of Parliaments, gulp.

MP for Boston North would have caused some confusion.
  • Options

So tell us why the Duke and Duchess of Sussex being demoted below the disgraced Prince Andrew, friend of nonces amused you?

You are being utterly absurd

Get a sense of proportion and your last sentence is just disgusting
  • Options

So answer the question, why did it amuse you?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Floater said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

That service is available:

https://twitter.com/KirkleesCouncil/status/1401155864019492865?s=19
    But men first ..... not discriminatory at all - oh no
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Fishing said:

FPT

Quincel said:

That did happen briefly with the centre of the Portuguese empire moving to Brazil.
    Yes, that was because of Napolon's conquest though. Not something that would have happened with us.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

You have a sense of proportion about child abuse?
  • Options

I do not intend engaging with you

You are completely out of order
  • Options

Fishing said:

FPT

Quincel said:

But that was when Portugal was invaded by Napoleon. The equivalent would have been Toronto becoming capital of the British Empire during the Second World War if the Nazis had invaded.
  • Options
    Charles said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

Will they have men only polling stations?

Am I alone in wishing that someone identifying as a man rocks up at that clinic?
    Surely if a woman turned up they couldn’t deny her service on the grounds of gender?
    Hmmm - You would like to think so
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

So if a woman rocks up to to this clinic dispending jabs to all and sundry, she will be refused because her gender offends Muslim sensitivities?

Nah. Wrong. Sorry
    I often get bigoted patients in clinic, but because of the power asymmetry in the Doctor-Patient relationship treat them as usual, unless the bigotry is at the point of abuse. Healthcare is not a setting appropriate to political re-education.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    Fishing said:

Charles said:

Fishing said:

FPT

Quincel said:

Although they wouldn’t have been able to buy Louisiana
    No they would have just taken it from Napoleon, as many Americans urged at the time.
    Which Americans were those?

When Jefferson purchased Louisiana, there were plenty of Americans who opposed the acquisition, especially (but not entirely) from New England.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

This is disgraceful and utterly uncalled for

Child abuse is heinous and both you and TSE are out of order
  • Options

So you won't answer why you were amused that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex being demoted below Prince Andrew amused you.

Don't complain if people will draw their own conclusions about you.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362

I'm not sure the monarchy or the tax situation would have survived if America remained a possession of the UK.

Probably Yanks sending MPs to the Mother of Parliaments, gulp.

MP for Boston North would have caused some confusion.

The whole Empire (Dominions/Colonies/Protectorates) would have been a democratic federation, represented in Parliament, and would have been largely intact to this day.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Charles said:

Heh.

I don't think it is at that level yet. I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea that the platform cannot switch off crazy ranting.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

For being opposed to it?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,860

Fishing said:

FPT

Quincel said:

At time of American Revolution "Canada" really meant Quebec. Which American Revolutionaries saw as a potential ally against the British, hence they invaded it.

However, turned out that the bulk of Quebeckers - in particular the Catholic Church - supported the Brits against the Americans, who they called "Bostonais". Because they feared the (to them) radical Protestantism of New England AND its economic rivalry. Whereas by 1770s the Brits were seen as protecting both the religion AND interests of Quebec.
    I think there was a third reason, too. They were mostly royalists, and the USA was aligned with revolutionary France.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I agree child abuse is heinous so why are you amused that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been demoted below Prince Andrew who had to quit public life because of his relationship with a convicted and serial child abuser?
  • Options

Fishing said:

FPT

Quincel said:

Most importantly though is that Lower Canada (Ontario) was heavily settled by Loyalist refugees displaced from the 13 Colonies.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Wouldn't consider anything after May 2023 to be "early".
    A year before the end of the term is pretty standard.
    Only the prospect of likely defeat makes anyone go longer.
    New boundaries in July point to Autumn 2023 as the most likely timeframe.

Incidentally. Except controversy and some weird and wonderful new constituencies on Monday.
    The criteria are so tight that keeping natural communities together will be much more difficult.
    Nay impossible in some areas.

Always the way with boundaries, as criteria are sometimes mutually exclusive, particularly given the target numbers. Cross county ones seem to stir up the most anger, a few other anomalies people seem able to live with - one near me has major conurbations of a town included in a different seat for instance, presumably for numbers, and no one cared though they probably objected at the time.
    You're Wiltshire? I presume you mean Chippenham, which is one of the most egregiously poor ones right now.
    Expect more like that to fit the quotas.
    You win a prize, sir.
    Is Michelle still your MP? I rather like her although she seems to have disappeared without trace
    Michelle Donelan is still the MP for Chippenham, not my MP just nearby, I think she's a junior minister.
  • Options

So you won't answer why you were amused that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex being demoted below Prince Andrew amused you.

Many will find the fall of Harry and Megan in the public perception deserved after their full on attack on the Royal Family
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,094
    With a majority of 80 Boris would be mad to call a general election, as 2017 showed early elections are far too risky if if you have a small majority let alone a big one and for a mere 10 extra seats it is not worth it
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

An apologist for "community" sexism?
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Charles said:

Fishing said:

FPT

Quincel said:

No they would have just taken it from Napoleon, as many Americans urged at the time.
    Thereby undermining the precedent used to justify the purchase of Alaska
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I agree child abuse is heinous so why are you amused that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been demoted below Prince Andrew who had to quit public life because of his relationship with a convicted and serial child abuser?
    Are you accusing Prince Andrew of child abuse

And it is the Palace who have demoted them below Andrew
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

Nah. Wrong. Sorry
    I often get bigoted patients in clinic, but because of the power asymmetry in the Doctor-Patient relationship treat them as usual, unless the bigotry is at the point of abuse. Healthcare is not a setting appropriate to political re-education.
    Apparently it reinforces it instead.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,860

Many will find the fall of Harry and Megan in the public perception deserved after their full on attack on the Royal Family
    I think for most people, it's a case of "there is no settling the point of precedency between a louse and a flea."
  • Options
    A quarter of elderly black people in England have not been vaccinated. Labour MP Apsana Begum says this is the governments fault because of their “failure over so many months to prioritise vaccines for ethnic minority communities.”

I'm not sure I completely follow the logic here. Is it alleging that the government has not provided sufficient vaccines to areas with high numbers of ethnic minorities, or failed to find places to distribute them, which would be an explosive accusation. Because if they've provided the vaccines and means to delivery them, but it hasn't been taken up then I don't see how the government can get blamed for that - I'd have expected a criticism about not engaging with or communicating with ethnic minorities about it rather than not 'prioritising' vaccines for those areas.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

For being opposed to it?
    I doubt you are more opposed to it than I am and you are misreading my comments
  • Options

Assuming Charles' comment below was a reply to me, this is not simply about a problem with Novavax. There are a number of other vaccines suppliers including J&J and Moderna to go on top of our excellent AZN and Pfizer approved drugs.

But if Germany can jab 1 million a day so can we. Period. We took our eye off the ball because we assumed that by 1st jabbing the over 50's & vulnerable we were safe, and so it looked until a) new variants esp the Indian one were more adept at body-swerving the vaccines and b) the interval rate between 1st and 2nd jabs, far from being a success story, now looks like a cock-up.

We got complacent. Classic Boris. Absolutely classic.

We should have gone full pelt on vaccination and ramped it up, piling in everything in our powers to jab, jab and jab.

This is not just about factory supplies. We have large stockpiles of vaccines. It's about a failure to see through what we began on a sufficiently epic scale. We could and should be offering 24/7 vaccinations at every university town. Why? Because every Uni student I know would be perfectly happy to roll up their sleeve at 2 am for a jab. But we didn't do this because we didn't think it was necessary.

Boris has been caught with his pants down. Yet again.

We are more reliant on AZ vaccines in our mix than others.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

IshmaelZ said:

It was their decision to abandon being working royals to live a life of luxury in California, not the royal families.

They are below the Queen, Charles and Camilla and the Cambridges, Princess Anne and the Wessexes as should now be the case as they all still do royal duties.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9655131/Meghan-Markle-Prince-Harry-DEMOTED-Royal-Family-website.html
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited June 2021
    Significant boost for the Tories in B&S, the 'Continuity UKIP-esque' Independent is not running again. Strongly implies he will run in future elections, possibly as part of Lawrence Foxes 'Reclaim Party'.

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1401256958024368132
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

No, if you could read, I said he was friends with a convicted and serial child abuser, which led to his disgrace and quitting royal duties.

But you said you were amused that the Sussexes ranked lower than him, which says so much about you.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Assuming Charles' comment below was a reply to me, this is not simply about a problem with Novavax. There are a number of other vaccines suppliers including J&J and Moderna to go on top of our excellent AZN and Pfizer approved drugs.

But if Germany can jab 1 million a day so can we. Period. We took our eye off the ball because we assumed that by 1st jabbing the over 50's & vulnerable we were safe, and so it looked until a) new variants esp the Indian one were more adept at body-swerving the vaccines and b) the interval rate between 1st and 2nd jabs, far from being a success story, now looks like a cock-up.

We should have gone full pelt on vaccination and ramped it up, piling in everything in our powers to jab, jab and jab.

This is not just about factory supplies. We have large stockpiles of vaccines. It's about a failure to see through what we began on a sufficiently epic scale. We could and should be offering 24/7 vaccinations at every university town. Why? Because every Uni student I know would be perfectly happy to roll up their sleeve at 2 am for a jab. But we didn't do this because we didn't think it was necessary.

Also, there are large stockpiles of vaccines that aren't being used? Is there a link to a report on that?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

A quarter of elderly black people in England have not been vaccinated. Labour MP Apsana Begum says this is the governments fault because of their “failure over so many months to prioritise vaccines for ethnic minority communities.”

I'm not sure I completely follow the logic here. Is it alleging that the government has not provided sufficient vaccines to areas with high numbers of ethnic minorities, or failed to find places to distribute them, which would be an explosive accusation. Because if they've provided the vaccines and means to delivery them, but it hasn't been taken up then I don't see how the government can get blamed for that - I'd have expected a criticism about not engaging with or communicating with ethnic minorities about it rather than not 'prioritising' vaccines for those areas.

I’m surprised you look for logic in the postings of Apsana Begum.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

It was their decision to abandon being working royals to live a life of luxury in California, not the royal families.

They are below the Queen, Charles and Camilla and the Cambridges, Princess Anne and the Wessexes as should now be the case as they all still do royal duties.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9655131/Meghan-Markle-Prince-Harry-DEMOTED-Royal-Family-website.html
    But the Duke of York does no royal duties either so why his Prince Harry ranked lower than him, both fought in wars, so it can't be a military thing.
  • Options

It amused me because in the real world it is utterly meaningless but will really passed Meghan off 😂
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

Nah. Wrong. Sorry
    Seems odd it would be the only place it is not appropriate, especially when I imagine most of our politicians, left and right, would suggest there is nothing political about gender equality (unless trans issues come up) and not pandering to bigotry would not count as political re-education.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

No, if you could read, I said he was friends with a convicted and serial child abuser, which led to his disgrace and quitting royal duties.

But you said you were amused that the Sussexes ranked lower than him, which says so much about you.
    My reaI dislike is disloyalty in families and public disloyalty to the Royal Family
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

But the Duke of York does no royal duties either so why his Prince Harry ranked lower than him, both fought in wars, so it can't be a military thing.
    Age being the tie breaker?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's a bizarre argument, I may have mentioned on here people like my father were recruited to go and persuade ethnic minority groups to get jabbed, something he did with great success.

Unless Ms Begum wants the government to vaccinate people without their consent there's not much more the government can do.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kirklees Council
    @KirkleesCouncil
    ·
    6h

@CuroHealth

Nah. Wrong. Sorry
    Seems odd it would be the only palce it is not appropriate, especially when I imagine most of our politicians, left and right, would suggest there is nothing political about gender equality (unless trans issues come up) and not pandering to bigotry would not count as political re-education.
    One big paradox of Wokery is being Woke towards cultures that are plainly NOT Woke.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It's a bizarre argument, I may have mentioned on here people like my father were recruited to go and persuade ethnic minority groups to get jabbed, something he did with great success.

Unless Ms Begum wants the government to vaccinate people without their consent there's not much more the government can do.
    You sure it's not already in the water supply? ;)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021
    The UK roll out of vaccination has to be one of the fairest in the world. There has been basically zero evidence of corruption, queue jumping, payment for vaccination and the roll out across all the regions / nations has been demonstratably and impeccably fair.

Anybody claiming otherwise is a moron.

Basically every other country you don't have to look hard to find politicians, their families and friends, etc getting preferential treatment.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Both are below the Cornwalls, the Cambridges and Princess Anne and Harry has a bigger picture than Andrew does too.

• Options

IshmaelZ said:

My reaI dislike is disloyalty in families and public disloyalty to the Royal Family
    So disloyalty in the royal family is worse than what Prince Andrew did, noted with thanks.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited June 2021

Fishing said:

Charles said:

Fishing said:

FPT

Quincel said:

Which Americans were those?

Alexander Hamilton. Have you heard of him? He wrote that the United States should "seize at once the Floridas and New Orleans and then negotiate." The two American consuls in New Orleans, Daniel Clark Jr. and William E. Hulings, wrote that the United States could take the territory without any bloodshed. Senator James Ross of Pennsylvania (a Federalist) introduced a resolution authorizing the deployment of 50,000 militiamen to take New Orleans. The Democratic-Republicans also supported a resolution that would've put 80,000 armed men on standby.

It would have been far more in keeping with America's history of aggressive seizing of other people's territory, e.g. from Mexico and Spain, and then claiming to be anti-imperialist. Like a bunch of slave-owners committing treason in the name of liberty.

Bullying, hypocritical theft is as American as it gets.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Both are below the Cornwalls, the Cambridges and Princess Anne and Harry has a bigger picture than Andrew does too.

The bigger story is that the Queen is missing. What's she gone and done to deserve that?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,505

FPT:

Charles said:

Charles said:

"Hundreds of students missed out on a jab as UCL clinic 'ran out of supplies' (Daily Telegraph)."

As DavidL and I amongst others have pointed out, we have become shit on the vaccine rollout. The past month has been piss poor given the need to jab fast.

We should be jabbing 1 million a day. We're barely averaging 150,000 1st jabs. It's not good enough.

Typical Boris.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-covid-nepal-variant-cases-vaccine-news/

Can you provide evidence of this massive stockpile of vaccines that are languishing unused?
    You really can be an arse sometimes. Yet again you respond to a genuine issue with a side-show response, laced with facetiousness.

Three months ago we should have been piling on everything conceivable to ensure supplies ramp up. Foresight is part of leadership. Boris has neither.

Everything, everything, conceivable should have been done to ensure we jab a million a day.

Vaccinating 150,000 first jabs a day is quite simply not good enough.

This is piss poor oversight.
    No. This simple fact is that we are in a supply constrained world. I’d love it if biological manufacturing was easy* but it’s fucking hard to do consistently, at scale and with high quality. You usually have years to optimise the process. For obvious reasons they haven’t this time. Three months is no time.

The issue has been the delays to Novavax (I’m sceptical of that company given the litany of disasters over the last 20 years) but @MaxPB knows the specifics there better than I do.

I know you hate Boris (and by the way there is going to be a big step towards opening on June 21st, although I suspect that WFH guidance and masks on public transport will remain) but try to not let your hatred overcome an analysis of the facts

Sure 1m a day would be great. But we don’t have the vaccines.

* actually I wouldn’t, but whatever
    Now, part of the answer is that we don't really know what vaccines we have delivered, or what the mix is- because the government has kept the bulk of that information to themselves. That could be because the government has signed contracts that kept more of the delivery data under wraps, or it could be that the government is using access to data as a power move, or they like the current narrative and don't want it disturbed. Either way, there's nothing like the openness with data of the French; have a look at https://covidtracker.fr/vaccintracker/ to see what they're releasing.

But there are scraps of data out there. Scotland has reported its weekly deliveries and they must surely be in proportion to population. There's some usage stats in the MHRA Yellow Card scheme. That sort of thing. Put those together, make some reasonable assumptions to fill in the gaps, check how your model works going forward... you can infer a lot about UK vaccine supply.

When I say "you can", I mean "someone has";
    https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood

Taking what he's worked out (and we can't really do better):
    Next week should be good- over 4 million doses in total for the week. Remains to be seen if that is sustained.
    There's an awful lot of doses somewhere between the factory and people's arms; getting on for 12 million. The Welsh vaccination stats show what is possible.
    The supply chain between the "factory" (initial production) and people's arms is long - a number of weeks. So at any one time there will be a large number of weeks of production that has left the initial production site and is going though various processes to make it actually ready.

I'm trying to remember the chaps name - he appeared in the documentary on the UK vaccine effort. One of the senior coordinators of the whole thing. He was asked if they should try to double production - he said that he thought that that was a bad idea, since the supply system as a whole was quite delicate.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I’m surprised you look for logic in the postings of Apsana Begum.
    Of course - I try to understand everyone's personal logic, however illogical their view may be.

It's why Trump so often confounded my expectations, as I find it impossible to conceptualise a thought process so arrogant and chaotic.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,846
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

LOL! My pic is bigger than your's!

Methinks TSE got out of bed on the wrong side today... ;)
  • Options
    Leon said:

This is an utterly confected argument on all sides; ladies, shelve your handbags
    Absolutely spot on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

This is an utterly confected argument on all sides; ladies, shelve your handbags
    Leon - the voice of calm rationality.

Think on it.
  • Options
    I mean it was no accident that a few months ago there was a major press conference featuring various doctors of colour on the vaccines.

It wasn't mere window dressing these people at the top of professional sectors.

It was done to try and reassure ethnic minority vaccine refuseniks.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It’s a lie designed to paint the government in a bad light
  • Options
    Charles said:

And we don't have large stockpiles...

One issue we have this week is that people are, quite deliberately, prioritising going away for the half term break, rather than getting vaccinated.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,456
    Sean_F said:

Fishing said:

FPT

Quincel said:

I think there was a third reason, too. They were mostly royalists, and the USA was aligned with revolutionary France.
    It's always struck me how little time the Québécois and mainland French have for each other.

You'd think they've have a relationship similar to the UK/Australia, but they don't.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

The bigger story is that the Queen is missing. What's she gone and done to deserve that?
    She is at the very top
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited June 2021
    kle4 said:

Barking and Dagenham has quite a big ethnic minority community, and this was the state of affairs regarding booking a vaccine this morning

51% of first jabs done

• Options

I know you're trolling but I think some of your tweets to BigG are out of order.

Bury it, and let's move on.
    To be honest I have never had such disgusting and unnecessary accusations from anyone in my 77 years
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Sean_F said:

Fishing said:

FPT

Quincel said:

It's always struck me how little time the Québécois and mainland French have for each other.

You'd think they've have a relationship similar to the UK/Australia, but they don't.
    Well they don't speak proper French for a start....and the French are a bit funnier about people bastardising their language than we are.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

I know you're trolling but I think some of your tweets to BigG are out of order.

Don't be a snowflake and inflict your cancel culture on me.

FYI - I signed up to the National Trust today.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,579

On topic, a form of Indyref2 taking place in autumn 2023 might put the kibosh on an early election.

Has the legislation to repeal the FTPA been published passed?

Because restoring the royal prerogative might be a problem and giving all the power on calling elections to the PM might be equally problematic.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/940027/Draft-Fixed-term-Parliaments-Act-Repeal-Bill.pdf

Published not passed

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    Everyone's a critic

• Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

She's taking time out to train for this year's Ironman World Championship. It's quite the inspirational story.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

Foxy said:

Probably something to do with his friendships with convicted nonces?
    Cancel the royal yacht!
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

I mean it was no accident that a few months ago there was a major press conference featuring various doctors of colour on the vaccines.

It wasn't mere window dressing these people at the top of professional sectors.

It was done to try and reassure ethnic minority vaccine refuseniks.

Funny how words change their meaning.
    Refusenik (Russian: отказник, otkaznik, from "отказ", otkaz "refusal") was an unofficial term for individuals—typically, but not exclusively, Soviet Jews—who were denied permission to emigrate, primarily to Israel, by the authorities of the Soviet Union and other countries of the Eastern bloc.
    Wikipedia
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The trouble is that if this feeds into disproportionate hospitalisations and deaths, which it quite conceivably could, it won't take very long for the UK to be accused of institutional racism.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

On topic, a form of Indyref2 taking place in autumn 2023 might put the kibosh on an early election.

Has the legislation to repeal the FTPA been published passed?

Because restoring the royal prerogative might be a problem and giving all the power on calling elections to the PM might be equally problematic.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/940027/Draft-Fixed-term-Parliaments-Act-Repeal-Bill.pdf

Published not passed

Cheers.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I think for most people, it's a case of "there is no settling the point of precedency between a louse and a flea."
    I'm done with both of them.

They are fading stars and their power to shock will only diminish with time.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The problem is the lack of willingness of "advocates" of various "communities" to accept that these communities are comprised of people with full moral agency. If you decide not to do a thing, then that is your choice and your responsibility.

The vaccines have been offered, first through hospitals, then GPs and the vaccination centres. Which are all over the place in London, for example. You can get appointments between 8am and 8pm, through the week. It takes about 15 minutes to actually get vaccinated, at most centres.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

IshmaelZ said:

So disloyalty in the royal family is worse than what Prince Andrew did, noted with thanks.
    Sack them all. Hierarchy problem solved
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

It's a completely stupid argument. Vaccines have been universally available without discrimination or prejudice. Anyone over the age of 30 can simply go online and book a slot and get a vaccine within a few days and a second dose 6-8 weeks later. Doesn't matter if the person is white, black, brown or something else entirely.

Completely mental.
    Nor here legally....they will still jab you.

And yet Jezza still hasn't managed to get a slot.... discrimination against marxists....
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,386

Everyone's a critic

That's a really bizarre take from Dawkins. A properly smart guy

Metamorphosis doesn't have to be an allegory of anything, or a satire, or a parody, or science fiction - to be a work of genius

It's about a guy turning into a beetle, and how he would feel if that happened. It is a believable account of what he would feel. It is deliciously uneasy and spooky for that reason. You CAN see it as an allegory if you want, but it isn't necessary at all, for it to be great literature

This is maybe why Dawkins doesn't Get God, or understand why others do
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

It's a completely stupid argument. Vaccines have been universally available without discrimination or prejudice. Anyone over the age of 30 can simply go online and book a slot and get a vaccine within a few days and a second dose 6-8 weeks later. Doesn't matter if the person is white, black, brown or something else entirely.

Completely mental.
    What is entertaining is the implicit racism in many of the arguments.

Apparently the minority groups in question aren't anti-vax. No Sir.

They just can't get something that is being freely dished out by every GP, hospital and a large number of specially provided centres around the country.
  • Options

Don't be a snowflake and inflict your cancel culture on me.

FYI - I signed up to the National Trust today.
    I don't think it's reasonable to insinuate BigG is bigoted. I can't recall a single post he's ever made where he's ever given the slightest hint of that, whereas that's not the case for some other posters. I think you just like to provoke when it comes to the monarchy.

FYI - I am also signing up to the NT again - now that Restore Trust has organised itself there is hope.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

It’s a lie designed to paint the government in a bad light
    Sure, but if it is a deliberate lie it is odd as it is not credible or coherent, and it is not deliberate then it says something about her ability to craft arguments.
This discussion has been closed.