Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Fourteen months after becoming leader Starmer makes his first appearance in front of a live studio a

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited June 2021 in General
Fourteen months after becoming leader Starmer makes his first appearance in front of a live studio audience – politicalbetting.com

New: Keir Starmer’s interview gamble pays off?? James Forsythhttps://t.co/83Yd0x9vtn

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited June 2021
    First, like Starmer, apparently. Who knew.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    I did.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited June 2021
    The difference is Boris has a comfortable poll lead and is the incumbent PM so did not need to do the interview.

Starmer as Leader of the Opposition trailing in the polls did, he had nothing to lose from it
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    I got my new passport yesterday, although what I am going to do with it heaven knows.

Rather impressed. So all worthwhile after all.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    It’s already hot as Hades here in the Darent Valley where I have taken the kids for a week.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    At least George won’t be the worst candidate.
    Probably.

https://twitter.com/billyvacant/status/1400008833217466368?s=21
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,293
    edited June 2021
    To be honest there is no chance of Boris being interviewed by Morgan

Indeed if he is able to open the economy shortly and some normality returns to everyone's lives he will have a secure legacy of Brexit and Covid 19

I did not watch the programme but then I would not watch Morgan on any programme as I simply dislike him

I am sure some will have enjoyed his interview, but his revelation he is close to the Clooney's will just affirm his left wing Metropolitan elite status with many

I would add that I do believe he is a decent person and a million miles removed from Corbyn, but again I am not sure that is enough
  • Options

Indeed if he is able to open the economy shortly and some normality returns to everyone's lives he will have a secure legacy of Brexit and Covid 19

I did not watch the programme but then I would not watch Morgan on any programme as I simply dislike him

I am sure some will have enjoyed his interview, but hs revelation he is close to the Clooney's will just affirm his left wing Metropolitan elite status with many

Boris tends to avoid being interviewed by anyone.
    He’s not really big on accountability.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    I imagine the public are well past the point of wondering 'Er, who are you again?' with the Prime Minister. Poor old Keith, on the other hand...
  • Options

I am sure some will have enjoyed his interview, but hs revelation he is close to the Clooney's will just affirm his left wing Metropolitan elite status with many

It does not seem to be doing him any harm at present
  • Options

The question is whether it does us any harm.
  • Options

Well of course the same could be said of a future PM Starmer or indeed any future PM

It is of course coloured by one's own political views
  • Options

Well of course the same could be said of a future PM Starmer or indeed any future PM

I am talking about accountability.
    Boris doesn’t do it.
    Typically that’s seen as detrimental in a democracy.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    kjh said:

I got my new passport yesterday, although what I am going to do with it heaven knows.

Rather impressed.

With the nice 'blue' cover?
    kjh said:

So all worthwhile after all.

Brexit? :wink:

• Options
    I'm looking to replace my webber bbq and the new ones talk to you via wifi. Good grief.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    I haven't watched the Starmer interview - and probably won't because I'd have to see Morgan - but from write ups it sounds similar to his Desert Island Discs appearance. If so, good, because that was excellent.

But the million dollar question is to what extent "Boris" Johnson has changed the game. Do you now need to create a facetious comic persona in order to be PM material?

One hopes not, if one has an interest in the health of our democracy, but one can't be sure of this if one is honest. The Johnson brand is insidious. It's affecting people's synapses, some of them perfectly decent people.

The next year will tell us a lot and is so so important. I just can't emphasize enough how important this next year is going to be. It could go either way.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    kjh said:

I'm looking to replace my webber bbq and the new ones talk to you via wifi. Good grief.

FPT, in response to a different comment:

I’m at an IT security Conference today, hence the pub lunch. I’ve spent the morning listening to speakers talking about IoT vulnerabilities among other things. It’s genuinely scary.

Not quite as scary as the targeted attacks on infrastructure, protecting against which is my day job right now, but scary what it could become in terms of massive botnets in the future.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    kjh said:

On the plus side the barbecues on Judgement Day will be immense.
  • Options

Boris doesn’t do it.
    He has faced a GE and the local elections and won handsomely, and that is the ultimate accountability of any politician
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kjh said:

Rather impressed.

With the nice 'blue' cover?
    kjh said:

So all worthwhile after all.

Brexit? :wink:

Yes and yes. It is impressive though, only spoiled by the fact that my face appears 3 times (4 if you count the see through heptagon).
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

I’m at an IT security Conference today, hence the pub lunch. I’ve spent the morning listening to speakers talking about IoT vulnerabilities among other things. It’s genuinely scary.

Not quite as scary as the targeted attacks on infrastructure, protecting against which is my day job right now, but scary what it could become in terms of massive botnets in the future.
    For me the main concern is that it is another point of failure. Like the people online who can't turn their lights on when their wifi is down...
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

I haven't watched the Starmer interview - and probably won't because I'd have to see Morgan - but from write ups it sounds similar to his Desert Island Discs appearance. If so, good, because that was excellent.

But the million dollar question is to what extent "Boris" Johnson has changed the game. Do you now need to create a facetious comic persona in order to be PM material?

One hopes not, if one has an interest in the health of our democracy, but one can't be sure of this if one is honest. The Johnson brand is insidious. It's affecting people's synapses, some of them perfectly decent people.

The next year will tell us a lot and is so so important. I just can't emphasize enough how important this next year is going to be. It could go either way.

The next year - one of a glorious return to freedom and economic revival - will be won by the leader who can best project sunny optimism and confidence in our national resurgence, so Sir Keir ... is probably screwed.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,107

Boris doesn’t do it.
    He has faced a GE and the local elections and won handsomely, and that is the ultimate accountability of any politician
    Subjecting oneself to thorough press scrutiny ought to be a prerequisite for high office. That it isn't is a sad reflection on the health of our politics. I don't absolve the Labour Party from its role in providing such a dismal alternative in 2019. But I can't remember a PM elected on the basis of such flimsy scrutiny before in my lifetime, and I think Johnson's performance in office is a reflection of that.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

Not an area of expertise for me I am afraid. I rely very much on the fact that (although I won't be buying a wifi controlled bbq) most of the info a hacker could glen from me would be at the level of me communicating with a bbq.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    kinabalu said:

No, no, no. You don't have to be a personality of any sort to be PM. You need to be leading the party which is least out of tune with the mood of the nation. That's all.

People like Johnson because he's entertaining. He's good company. He's a good communicator. But people vote for him because they don't like the other lot.

In 2019 Boris was fortunate because 'the other lot' were not only a) a party of loons led by a certifiable madman, but also b) the hardcore Remain element.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

For me the main concern is that it is another point of failure. Like the people online who can't turn their lights on when their wifi is down...
    It’s definitely another point of failure, but more worrying is that these devices never get updated once they’re installed, meaning there’s millions of them out there with vulnerabilities that can be exploited by bad actors.

Meanwhile, companies like Amazon are forcing updates on devices, to have them share your wifi with your neighbours.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610

Boris doesn’t do it.
    Subjecting oneself to thorough press scrutiny ought to be a prerequisite for high office. That it isn't is a sad reflection on the health of our politics. I don't absolve the Labour Party from its role in providing such a dismal alternative in 2019. But I can't remember a PM elected on the basis of such flimsy scrutiny before in my lifetime, and I think Johnson's performance in office is a reflection of that.
    Johnson has been through a general election campaign. Plenty of press scrutiny involved in one of those.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Who would give the Prime Minister a reasonably sympathetic interview, which by the sound of it Piers did for SKS?

I think people are writing off SKS a little bit too early btw. There is a long way to go until the next election and “events” are coming a bit thick and fast so far since the last one. Having someone who is seen as boringly competent could very well be a great selling point.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

Not an area of expertise for me I am afraid. I rely very much on the fact that (although I won't be buying a wifi controlled bbq) most of the info a hacker could glen from me would be at the level of me communicating with a bbq.
    Which is fine until a virus turns your barbecue into a Bitcoin miner for a random hacker in China, using your electricity to do so and not caring if your device ends up catching fire in the process. Now, that’s an extreme scenario, but it’s not impossible.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,218

I listened to Ryanair head, Michael O'Leary, on the news this morning and he was coruscating about the 'zero covid clique' who have taken over the narrative. He reiterated the 'nil' deaths yesterday and that both hospitalisation and deaths were far from a concern now and the vaccines will have virtually been given to most adults by the end of July

I just wonder if after today's paper headlines, those in the broadcast media and in particular Sky and the BBC are beginning to doubt their utter reliance on the one sided views expressed by this group

For the first time last night I heard the BBC presenter actually challenge one of these zealots on her use of percentage increases in hospitalisations and deaths and referenced numbers as the only statistic to use. She did not like being challenged

I genuinely hope that Boris does open the economy on the 21st June and that through the vaccination programme the Country will succeed in keeping covid in check and people can get back to normality in their lives again

In this process 'Independent Sage' would finally have been put to the sword and their role, as well as the medias, must be included in the pubic enquiry

This weekend gone I went to see my parents for the first time since all this started. Stayed in the centre of Manchester and felt the buzz of people out enjoying the summer. Sat in traffic jams of people heading to Blackpool.

Zero deaths. Even if case numbers go up a touch it isn't threatening to either life or the NHS for the remaining younger people who can get it. I asked questions last week of whether the new "delta"* strain would force a further delay.

I now have my answer. Unlock everything and do it now. No further twiddling and fiddling and "you can't go a club or sing in a choir". Time for the Rest of Your Life. Lets start living again.

*Nippie was right to stop calling it Indian then despite the harrumphing on here
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Boris doesn’t do it.
    Johnson has been through a general election campaign. Plenty of press scrutiny involved in one of those.
    Actually precious little.
    The media were as useless as they have been throughout Covid.

It was a genius campaign, the main (only?) proposition advanced by Boris was that was he was (a) capable of sitting on a JCB digger; (b) not Corbyn.

Boris gets that the media in this country have stopped attempting to really scrutinise elected officials.

Boris also lies routinely to Parliament which is supposed to be the chief forum of scrutiny, the Speaker appears not to know what to do about it.
  • Options

Boris doesn’t do it.
    With respect you are understandably projecting your political attitude to Boris but in the end facing the public in a GE is the real test, and he obtained an 80 seat majority 18 months ago, and he did well in the locals with record results in Wales

As some are aware I would prefer Rishi as PM, but the consolation if I am being a wee bit flippant is to see just how infuriating Boris is to the left and those who hold the EU dear
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    HYUFD said:

The difference is Boris has a comfortable poll lead and is the incumbent PM so did not need to do the interview.

Starmer as Leader of the Opposition trailing in the polls did, he had nothing to lose from it

Also it Morgan, a new Labour supporter, its a carefully coordinated puff piece, just like they did with Brown. It was zero risk.

Hardly doing Andrew Neil.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    Piers Morgan has it in for the government because they refused to come on his breakfast show during the pandemic, so he is keen to big up the opposition. Doesn’t seem like many people watched the show, so I can’t see how it will cut through with people unsure/anti about Sir Keir. But worth a go and it seems to have got those already on board fired up, which can’t be bad
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

Which is fine until a virus turns your barbecue into a Bitcoin miner for a random hacker in China, using your electricity to do so and not caring if your device ends up catching fire in the process. Now, that’s an extreme scenario, but it’s not impossible.
    I use a gas bbq!

Which is another reason it won't be having wifi and something I hadn't thought of. These are gas bbqs. Can't believe you have to plug them in, so I assume the wifi runs off batteries.
  • Options

Boris doesn’t do it.
    It is also probably a sad reflection on our political journalists who are more focused on “gotcha” and personal lives. Interviews focused on the political issues of the day would be useful.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

Piers Morgan has it in for the government because they refused to come on his breakfast show during the pandemic, so he is keen to big up the opposition. Doesn’t seem like many people watched the show, so I can’t see how it will cut through with people unsure/anti about Sir Keir. But worth a go and it seems to have got those already on board fired up, which can’t be bad

Also remember Morgan is big mates with many of the New Labourites. When Blair was in power and he was editor of the Mirror, it was the daily propaganda sheet for them.
  • Options
    FPT

An academic study out yesterday suggested that the U.K. had seen a decline of £110bn in our service exports because of Brexit. (This is before the impact of Covid).

Luckily, 50 jobs are said to have been created in a ketchup factory.

As it happens, I’m not 100% sure how strong the academic study’s methodology was - and no paper bothered to dig into it - but it shows how unbalanced our media is that it was the ketchup story that led.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

No, no, no. You don't have to be a personality of any sort to be PM. You need to be leading the party which is least out of tune with the mood of the nation. That's all.

People like Johnson because he's entertaining. He's good company. He's a good communicator. But people vote for him because they don't like the other lot.

In 2019 Boris was fortunate because 'the other lot' were not only a) a party of loons led by a certifiable madman, but also b) the hardcore Remain element.
    Don’t hold back cookie. Say it as you see it

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

As some are aware I would prefer Rishi as PM, but the consolation if I am being a wee bit flippant is to see just how infuriating Boris is to the left and those who hold the EU dear

The country will never vote for a man who measures 8cm across the shoulders.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Someone was asking about the US Special Election in New Mexico.

Well, it's an interesting one. On the one hand, the US is emerging from the pandemic, and New Mexico has done a great job vaccinating, and you'd expect the Democrats to benefit.

On the other hand, Albuquerque is a bit of a poverty stricken, crime ridden shit hole, that the Dems have controlled for a long-time. And the rural areas hate the the Dems.

I'd expect turnout in the (Democratic heavy) city to be down markedly, while it holds up well in the rural areas around.

Dems 135,000; Reps 125,000 52 / 48 - Dem hold on dramatically lower share of the vote.

Result

DEM 79,208 60.3%
    GOP 46,977 35.7%
  • Options
    Finally some balance to the zero covidians...

BBC News - Covid-19: UK's data encouraging, says government adviser
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57328138
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Having charisma certainly helps you win general elections though as it did for Thatcher, Blair and now Boris.

However I also agree being dull does not mean you have no chance of being PM if you lead a party more in tune with the nation and if out of power the mood of the nation is for change
  • Options
    "POLITICO Poll of Polls
    @pollofpolls_EU
    Germany: New national parliament voting intention poll
    https://politico.eu/pollofpolls

Pollster: Forsa
    Period: 25/5-31/5/2021

CDU/CSU: 25% (+1)
    GRÜNE: 24% (-1)
    FDP: 14% (+1)
    SPD: 14% (=)
    AfD: 9% (-1)
    LINKE: 6% (=)

+/- vs. previous Forsa poll.
    #btw21"

https://twitter.com/pollofpolls_EU/status/1400025091971424257
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Also it Morgan, a new Labour supporter, its a carefully coordinated puff piece, just like they did with Brown. It was zero risk.

I’m looking forward to Neil interviewing all the ‘scientists’ who have been courting the media recently, on his new GB News show.

Or, as is more likely, reading off a list of names of people who declined his invitation of an unedited 30m discussion.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

"POLITICO Poll of Polls
    @pollofpolls_EU

#btw21"

FDP Kingmakers then between either supporting a Union and Green coalition or a Green, FDP and SPD deal
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Who would give the Prime Minister a reasonably sympathetic interview, which by the sound of it Piers did for SKS?

I think people are writing off SKS a little bit too early btw. There is a long way to go until the next election and “events” are coming a bit thick and fast so far since the last one. Having someone who is seen as boringly competent could very well be a great selling point.

SKS' problem is not SKS (well, it is a fair bit but it's not the main one). It is that they look at what most of Labour is and thinks "we don't want that lot in power".
  • Options
    First to say for the summer...good job England bat deep....

Except they really don't this time, England tail is long.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Having charisma certainly helps you win general elections though as it did for Thatcher, Blair and now Boris.

However I also agree being dull does not mean you have no chance of being PM if you lead a party more in tune with the nation and if out of power the mood of the nation is for change
    I found Michael Foot charismatic. A lot depends on how the front pages of the news media choose to present you.

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

I’m looking forward to Neil interviewing all the ‘scientists’ who have been courting the media recently, on his new GB News show.

Or, as is more likely, reading off a list of names of people who declined his invitation of an unedited 30m discussion.
    Brillo is mid 70s and the fires are dimming.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,934

Boris doesn’t do it.
    Not for cult followers though
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

I don’t know I’d go that far. I can’t quite see him leading Labour to government.

His job however was to restore normality and sanity after the Corbyn years so Labour will eventually be taken seriously again and not as a bunch of freeloading racists with small brains, greedy minds and gross self-centredness.

Remember, if Long Bailey had won we would in all probability be talking very seriously about a substantiallyincreased Tory majority next time. At that stage, we would have to ponder whether Labour could ever hope to return to power or whether their vote would fracture to the Lib Dems and Greens.

Starmer had killed that talk stone dead. He may never be PM. Probably won’t. But he has salvaged an opposition from Corbyn’s wreckage that looks, with faults and drawbacks, like something that will again a reasonably credible alternative party of government. And for that, he deserves all our heartfelt thanks.
  • Options
    Actor Steven Seagal joins new pro Putin party 'A Just Russia — Patriots — For Truth'
    https://nypost.com/2021/05/30/steven-seagal-joins-pro-putin-party-in-russia/
  • Options
    edited June 2021

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

I found Michael Foot charismatic. A lot depends on how the front pages of the news media choose to present you.

Foot and Thatcher both had charisma. It's unusual to become a national party leader without it. John Major reportedly had it in person but it didn't come across on TV.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I see Victoria in Australia is going back into lockdown. I think that will now be 200 days in lockdown since the pandemic started.

That is how severe you have to be to keep covid under control.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

I use a gas bbq!

Which is another reason it won't be having wifi and something I hadn't thought of. These are gas bbqs. Can't believe you have to plug them in, so I assume the wifi runs off batteries.
    They do run off batteries, I have wifi on my BBQ. It links to my phone and keeps me updated on how the chicken/roast is doing and tells me when ready to my chosen temp/cooked
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Around May 3rd both the USA and UK had administered ~ 74 vaccine doses per population.

That's now roughly 89 for the USA and 96 for the UK.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

"POLITICO Poll of Polls
    @pollofpolls_EU

#btw21"

FDP Kingmakers then between either supporting a Union and Green coalition or a Green, FDP and SPD deal
    SPD demonstrating once again that being the junior partner in a coalition isn't good for popularity.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"POLITICO Poll of Polls
    @pollofpolls_EU

#btw21"

Slight sense that GRÜNE have maybe missed their moment

https://twitter.com/hoyer_kat/status/1399782558351695877?s=20
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Forgot about the cricket - I assumed we would be 20/3 when I turned on!
  • Options

I see Victoria in Australia is going back into lockdown. I think that will now be 200 days in lockdown since the pandemic started.

I love Melbourne and have a friend who is an acute trauma nurse in the main hospital

It does look quite serious and I have no idea if is true, but is was reported just 2% have been vaccinated

Now, if that is it true it would really worry me
  • Options

Boris doesn’t do it.
    With respect you are understandably projecting your political attitude to Boris but in the end facing the public in a GE is the real test, and he obtained an 80 seat majority 18 months ago, and he did well in the locals with record results in Wales

It was like a race against a one legged man, any donkey would have beaten Corbyn and I mean any donkey.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Come back tomorrow and we will be....
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
  • Options
    New Redfield poll has Burnham by far voters preferred replacement if Starmer was replaced as Labour leader

Burnham 22%
    Phillips 5%
    Lammy 5%
    Nandy 5%
    Long-Bailey 4%
    Thornberry 4%
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1400030934796210178?s=20
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

... even if you have about the strictest border quarantine in the world.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Boris doesn’t do it.

It was like a race against a one legged man, any donkey would have beaten Corbyn and I mean any donkey.
    Good morning Malc

Nice to be on the same page, I agree with you, though donkeys are really lovable creatures unlike Corbyn
  • Options
    PB Tories’ main argument can be reduced to

Boris wins elections
    Because he is popular
    Because he wins elections
    Because he is popular

Etc etc
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

C'mon, the fire of vulgar braggadocio still burns bright.
    Drums!!!

• Options

Boris wins elections
    Because he is popular
    Because he is popular

Etc etc

Not much more to add

The very essence of a successful politician
  • Options
    O/T

"MICHAEL HESELTINE: The day I was bullied into taking a ludicrous £880,000 anti-groping course by the House of Lords"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9642035/LORD-HESELTINE-Good-Lord-peers-like-forced-anti-groping-course.html
  • Options

With their best opening bat at No. 7 it looks like the other way around to me.
  • Options

Boris doesn’t do it.

Most voters don't get to meet politicians in person so can only really base their judgement on what is filtered through the media.
    Johnson's inadequacies helped to kill 150k people so to be fair it's not only people on the left or Remainers who think the country can do better. You are a commentator on here I have tended to respect, Big G, even if we are on opposite sides of the debate, so I think that even you now view politics through an "own the Libs" lens is sad.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,526

kjh said:

On the plus side the barbecues on Judgement Day will be immense.
    I'm sure Hieronymous Bosch has one in one of his paintings.

I was surprised to find a hot tub in one.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Come back tomorrow and we will be....
    Be fair, they haven’t lost a single wicket yet.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kinabalu said:

But Johnson was in serious difficulty in political terms a mere six months ago. I expect to see that again - within months rather than years.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

"MICHAEL HESELTINE: The day I was bullied into taking a ludicrous £880,000 anti-groping course by the House of Lords"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9642035/LORD-HESELTINE-Good-Lord-peers-like-forced-anti-groping-course.html

£880,000 just to sort out Hezza? Must have had some problem with the groping.
  • Options
    Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 408
    FPT that I didn’t realise had died...

I see in the Times this morning that Tim Martin from Weatherspoons is calling for a visa scheme for workers that favours countries that are geographically closer to the U.K. because pubs are struggling to find staff.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,218
    Fantastic story brewing in Darlington. The new Tory council wants to transform the town's image complete with a neat rebrand. As the article shows the existing town hall is the usual kind of brutalist concrete hell which looks transformed with the proposed new signage.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/02/tory-run-darlingtons-20000-rebranding-has-labour-in-a-blue-funk
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    As the link says....

Public Health Wales, Conwy County Borough Council and Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board are urging people living in the Llandudno Junction, Llandudno and Penrhyn Bay areas of North Wales to be alert for Coronavirus symptoms and to take a test as soon as possible even if they have no symptoms.

https://phw.nhs.wales/news/get-tested-now-important-message-for-residents-of-llandudno-junction-llandudno-and-penrhyn-bay-after-sharp-increase-in-cases-of-variant-of-concern/
  • Options
    edited June 2021

I love Melbourne and have a friend who is an acute trauma nurse in the main hospital

It does look quite serious and I have no idea if is true, but is was reported just 2% have been vaccinated

Now, if that is it true it would really worry me
    As a whole Oz are doing quite a lot better than that, though still well below more affected countries. 15% have at least one dose.

Did he mean both jabs?

Definitions? EU now working to one dose = "vaccinated".

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Well, it's an interesting one. On the one hand, the US is emerging from the pandemic, and New Mexico has done a great job vaccinating, and you'd expect the Democrats to benefit.

On the other hand, Albuquerque is a bit of a poverty stricken, crime ridden shit hole, that the Dems have controlled for a long-time. And the rural areas hate the the Dems.

I'd expect turnout in the (Democratic heavy) city to be down markedly, while it holds up well in the rural areas around.

Dems 135,000; Reps 125,000 52 / 48 - Dem hold on dramatically lower share of the vote.

Result

DEM 79,208 60.3%
    GOP 46,977 35.7%
    I've realised, of course, that elections are simply self selecting opinion polls and may in-fact be the ultimate voodoo poll.
  • Options

Boris wins elections
    Because he is popular
    Because he is popular

Etc etc

Not much more to add

The very essence of a successful politician
    But is he any good at governing?

The frustrating thing for me personally is that I can’t remember in my lifetime a government like this which has no ideology except what will keep them in power.

Obviously all governments attempt to stay in government but in my living memory they were set about a project they believed would advance the country.

Boris and his team don’t have one.
    And please don’t say, “levelling up”. There’s no serious attempt at policy development on this front, just random (and modest) cash giveaways.

Compare with Thatcher’s privatisation drive, Blair’s “third way” reform of public services, and even Cameron’s “return to fiscal sobriety plus liberal reform”.
  • Options

Boris doesn’t do it.

To the surprise of most, Labour also matched its best ever results in Wales.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Result

DEM 79,208 60.3%
    GOP 46,977 35.7%
    I've realised, of course, that elections are simply self selecting opinion polls and may in-fact be the ultimate voodoo poll. They need to do more to reach white rural republicans who are Real America.
    It all went downhill once they let the aliens vote.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

The country will never vote for a man who measures 8cm across the shoulders.
    Sadly I think there is some truth in this (sadly because it would be nice if politics were less superficial). I was recently discussing politics with a friend (former Tory voter, radicalised leftwards by Brexit) and we ended up speculating with which one of us would be able to throw him the furthest.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

Fantastic story brewing in Darlington. The new Tory council wants to transform the town's image complete with a neat rebrand. As the article shows the existing town hall is the usual kind of brutalist concrete hell which looks transformed with the proposed new signage.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/02/tory-run-darlingtons-20000-rebranding-has-labour-in-a-blue-funk

I'd forgotten how hideous the concrete of the town hall actually was - but beyond that meh, I only go past the place if walking to the cinema.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Why do England always end up picking 4 right arm over seamers...and 3 of the 4 so often very similar pace.

Robinson bowling at 79mph....unless you can make it bend like an EU mandated banana, you aren't going to trouble test match batsmen.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I don’t know I’d go that far. I can’t quite see him leading Labour to government.

His job however was to restore normality and sanity after the Corbyn years so Labour will eventually be taken seriously again and not as a bunch of freeloading racists with small brains, greedy minds and gross self-centredness.

Remember, if Long Bailey had won we would in all probability be talking very seriously about a substantiallyincreased Tory majority next time. At that stage, we would have to ponder whether Labour could ever hope to return to power or whether their vote would fracture to the Lib Dems and Greens.

Starmer had killed that talk stone dead. He may never be PM. Probably won’t. But he has salvaged an opposition from Corbyn’s wreckage that looks, with faults and drawbacks, like something that will again a reasonably credible alternative party of government. And for that, he deserves all our heartfelt thanks.
    Hartlepool - and again the timing of Batley&Spen - makes me fear he lacks political 'nous' and antennae. A very clever lawyer rather than an instinctive politician. He is certainly no Harold Wilson.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    kinabalu said:

You should watch the Starmer interview - it might cheer you up a bit.

On your other point, the last thing Starmer (or any other Labour leader) should do is to try to out-Boris Boris. There's no mileage in that; quite the reverse. Starmer should constantly be pointing out how much he is different from BJ; it is the contrast that could win through in the medium term, when folk tire of the BJ schtick.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

Hartlepool - and again the timing of Batley&Spen - makes me fear he lacks political 'nous' and antennae. A very clever lawyer rather than an instinctive politician. He is certainly no Harold Wilson.
    But he might be a shorter tenured Gaitskell or Kinnock.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Quite enjoyed that. Nice little flap.

Apparently teal is a Tory colour these days. For lazy Pb-ers avoiding the click. From this:

to this:

You'll note that the 2nd piccie has a more summery Sky. Who'd have thought that Darlo Town Hall would get the same retouching treatment as Naomi Campbell.

Cost, for this and the litter bins, is claimed to be £20k. Wonder if that includes the actual work?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

If only there were an esteemed organ, that might publish that photo every fortnight.
  • Options
    It's not just Belarus doing it.

"Turkish intelligence officers have seized the nephew of the cleric accused of orchestrating the 2016 coup attempt against President Erdogan, in an operation in Kenya that appears to have been carried out without the permission of Nairobi’s courts." (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/turkish-spies-seize-fethullah-gulens-nephew-in-kenya-c30f057ds
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733

Why do England always end up picking 4 right arm over seamers...and 3 of the 4 so often very similar pace.

Robinson bowling at 79mph....unless you can make it bend like an EU mandated banana, you aren't going to trouble test match batsmen.

Is there any reason (other than not being picked) for Sam Curran not playing? Left arm adds variation and his batting means he could be a fifth bowler batting 7 surely?
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Is there any reason (other than not being picked) for Sam Curran not playing? Left arm adds variation and his batting means he could be a fifth bowler batting 7 surely?
    IPL, wasn’t it?

They should have picked David Payne.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Lennon said:

Curran abroad is a no no, definitely not fast enough or enough movement. In England he is an option as you say if for no other reason than left arm variability and he can really bat.

I just don't see how a 79mph right armer (not an all rounder) is going to do anything at test match level unless very very special ability to make it move sideways.
  • Options

As the link says....

Public Health Wales, Conwy County Borough Council and Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board are urging people living in the Llandudno Junction, Llandudno and Penrhyn Bay areas of North Wales to be alert for Coronavirus symptoms and to take a test as soon as possible even if they have no symptoms.

https://phw.nhs.wales/news/get-tested-now-important-message-for-residents-of-llandudno-junction-llandudno-and-penrhyn-bay-after-sharp-increase-in-cases-of-variant-of-concern/

I live in this area and the increase in numbers is 9

The areas of North Wales where Covid cases went up over bank holiday weekend

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/wrexham-conwy-see-biggest-rise-20717348#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
This discussion has been closed.