Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Fourteen months after becoming leader Starmer makes his first appearance in front of a live studio a

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    Uh oh....."Green List"

Predictably Portugal is now entering a new Covid wave. 724 cases today. Other EU countries will join a bit later, just like in January

https://twitter.com/MacaesBruno/status/1400095556811296775?s=20
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    tlg86 said:

The Lewes version of Trumpton was much better:

ThE lEwEs VeRsIoN oF tRuMpToN wAs MuCh BeTtEr:

Kinda hoping that now he's gone, we'll get better punchlines.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,345
    ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

Who would give the Prime Minister a reasonably sympathetic interview, which by the sound of it Piers did for SKS?

I think people are writing off SKS a little bit too early btw. There is a long way to go until the next election and “events” are coming a bit thick and fast so far since the last one. Having someone who is seen as boringly competent could very well be a great selling point.

I don’t know I’d go that far. I can’t quite see him leading Labour to government.

His job however was to restore normality and sanity after the Corbyn years so Labour will eventually be taken seriously again and not as a bunch of freeloading racists with small brains, greedy minds and gross self-centredness.

Remember, if Long Bailey had won we would in all probability be talking very seriously about a substantiallyincreased Tory majority next time. At that stage, we would have to ponder whether Labour could ever hope to return to power or whether their vote would fracture to the Lib Dems and Greens.

Starmer had killed that talk stone dead. He may never be PM. Probably won’t. But he has salvaged an opposition from Corbyn’s wreckage that looks, with faults and drawbacks, like something that will again a reasonably credible alternative party of government. And for that, he deserves all our heartfelt thanks.
    Alternatively, Corbyn introduced the variance Labour need. Yes he got whacked in 2019 but he almost won in 2017. Miliband, Brown, and maybe Starmer, are continuity Blair without the charisma so can’t win, but don’t get a hiding.

It’s the difference between going to a Man City as a non top 4 club and defending for your life and getting beat 2-0 or going for a 4-3 win whilst risking a 6-0 loss

Actually Miliband, Brown and Starmer are left of Blair without Blair's charisma, Corbyn was far left of Blair but with some charisma
    Blair was very far left in the mid-80s, until he realised it was a losing strategy. He governed from the centre of course.

I don't think it makes sense to think of him as left or right, but just as an opportunist.
    As is Boris, most winning party leaders are.

Only a handful of general election winners like Attlee and Thatcher are genuine ideologues
    I really doubt Blair was ever “far left”.
    His famous and cringingly awful letter to Michael Foot in July 1982 says he was.
    He also said there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and that he was ‘a pretty straight kind of guy.’
    If Blair was a 10 out of 10 for economy with the actualitaire, how far over the scale can we go with Johnson?

Perhaps both are furiously counting on their rosaries each time they speak.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,179

Quents knows it, we know it, everyone knows it

Guaranteed bollocks. My son plays in an U12 league in right-on inner London and "man on" is always used without rebuke.
    Letts is an utter moron as is obvious from his review of Hamilton.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,439

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

Who would give the Prime Minister a reasonably sympathetic interview, which by the sound of it Piers did for SKS?

I think people are writing off SKS a little bit too early btw. There is a long way to go until the next election and “events” are coming a bit thick and fast so far since the last one. Having someone who is seen as boringly competent could very well be a great selling point.

I don’t know I’d go that far. I can’t quite see him leading Labour to government.

His job however was to restore normality and sanity after the Corbyn years so Labour will eventually be taken seriously again and not as a bunch of freeloading racists with small brains, greedy minds and gross self-centredness.

Remember, if Long Bailey had won we would in all probability be talking very seriously about a substantiallyincreased Tory majority next time. At that stage, we would have to ponder whether Labour could ever hope to return to power or whether their vote would fracture to the Lib Dems and Greens.

Starmer had killed that talk stone dead. He may never be PM. Probably won’t. But he has salvaged an opposition from Corbyn’s wreckage that looks, with faults and drawbacks, like something that will again a reasonably credible alternative party of government. And for that, he deserves all our heartfelt thanks.
    Alternatively, Corbyn introduced the variance Labour need. Yes he got whacked in 2019 but he almost won in 2017. Miliband, Brown, and maybe Starmer, are continuity Blair without the charisma so can’t win, but don’t get a hiding.

It’s the difference between going to a Man City as a non top 4 club and defending for your life and getting beat 2-0 or going for a 4-3 win whilst risking a 6-0 loss

Actually Miliband, Brown and Starmer are left of Blair without Blair's charisma, Corbyn was far left of Blair but with some charisma
    Blair was very far left in the mid-80s, until he realised it was a losing strategy. He governed from the centre of course.

I don't think it makes sense to think of him as left or right, but just as an opportunist.

Only a handful of general election winners like Attlee and Thatcher are genuine ideologues
    I really doubt Blair was ever “far left”.
    His famous and cringingly awful letter to Michael Foot in July 1982 says he was.
    He also said there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and that he was ‘a pretty straight kind of guy.’
    If Blair was a 10 out of 10 for economy with the actualitaire, how far over the scale can we go with Johnson?

Perhaps both are furiously counting on their rosaries each time they speak.
    A rare moment of honesty from Johnson:

‘There are no disasters, only opportunities. And indeed, opportunities for fresh disasters.’
  • Options
    Here are the latest vaccine estimates for each of the UK nations.

Wales continues to lead the way on first doses, while England becomes the first nation to reach 50% of adults fully vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/ian_a_jones/status/1400094691601915910?s=20
  • Options

Quents knows it, we know it, everyone knows it

Guaranteed bollocks. My son plays in an U12 league in right-on inner London and "man on" is always used without rebuke.
    Letts is an utter moron as is obvious from his review of Hamilton.
    ‘Man on’ guarantees bollocks?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330

I don't get this attitude.

“We don’t want children doing Maths at five and six in the evening”

Shadow education secretary Kate Green tells #BBCBreakfast Labour would keep schools open for longer but not for formal education as government announces £1.4bn catch-up plan in England.

https://bbc.in/3vI5tiN

I was often in school until 5pm doing work, then going home to do homework.

You want kids to have the best education, then they need to work for it.

People say a lot of difference between kids who do well and kids who don't is homelife.

I've always thought the biggest difference is kids who have books at home and read them for leisure, versus kids who don't.

My daughter this year has reached the point that she can read novels by herself and we've bought a boxed set of a novel series she loves and when she's not been outside in the sunshine this halftime she's been frequently been reading. She's got quite a library developing and we've decided on the next ones we're planning on getting for her. Her reading has come on leaps and bounds and so has her confidence at school as a result.

The novels she's reading have nothing to do with the curriculum but frankly it doesn't matter what you're reading, its the fact that you are. Anyone who gets bitten by reading bug early on and is supported on that (either by libraries or books at home) is going to have a tremendous advantage over kids who never read except when they're told they must at school.
    I'm always horrified by non-reading houses. Where do they get their knowledge of the wider world from? I regard my wife and I as eclectic - she loves fantasy and sci-fi, I prefer history, with some of the more martial historical fiction and a bit of sci-fi and science tucked in for good measure. We have thousands of books, including such topics as gardening, crafts, cooking etc. I personally own 40+ books on knitting. My childhood reading was Enid Blyton then Dr Who novelisations then Terry Pratchett. There is more truth and social commentary in Terry Pratchett than in a years supply of the British newspaper columns.
  • Options

Uh oh....."Green List"

Predictably Portugal is now entering a new Covid wave. 724 cases today. Other EU countries will join a bit later, just like in January

That'll be the B.1.617.2 we've sent over there then...
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Correction to My post about this time yesterday.

Yesterday we talked about the Furlough schema, and I quickly googled the last update, it was from 6 May and had data up to 31 March. Link here if anyone wishes to check:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/coronavirus-job-retention-scheme-statistics-6-may-2021/coronavirus-job-retention-scheme-statistics-6-may-2021

I quickly looked and noticed a 1.2milion number and posted that here, that was incorrect, the 1.2 million number refers to people on partial Furlough, the accurate finger is 4.2 million, down about 350,000 from the end of Feb.

Sorry for getting that wrong.

• Options
    edited June 2021

Shadow education secretary Kate Green tells #BBCBreakfast Labour would keep schools open for longer but not for formal education as government announces £1.4bn catch-up plan in England.

People say a lot of difference between kids who do well and kids who don't is homelife.

I've always thought the biggest difference is kids who have books at home and read them for leisure, versus kids who don't.

My daughter this year has reached the point that she can read novels by herself and we've bought a boxed set of a novel series she loves and when she's not been outside in the sunshine this halftime she's been frequently been reading. She's got quite a library developing and we've decided on the next ones we're planning on getting for her. Her reading has come on leaps and bounds and so has her confidence at school as a result.

The novels she's reading have nothing to do with the curriculum but frankly it doesn't matter what you're reading, its the fact that you are. Anyone who gets bitten by reading bug early on and is supported on that (either by libraries or books at home) is going to have a tremendous advantage over kids who never read except when they're told they must at school.
    I'm always horrified by non-reading houses. Where do they get their knowledge of the wider world from? I regard my wife and I as eclectic - she loves fantasy and sci-fi, I prefer history, with some of the more martial historical fiction and a bit of sci-fi and science tucked in for good measure. We have thousands of books, including such topics as gardening, crafts, cooking etc. I personally own 40+ books on knitting. My childhood reading was Enid Blyton then Dr Who novelisations then Terry Pratchett. There is more truth and social commentary in Terry Pratchett than in a years supply of the British newspaper columns.
    TBF, there could be fuck all truth and social commentary in the great Sir Terry’s books and that would still be true.
  • Options
    I'm guessing this wasn't the result she was hoping for.....

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    edited June 2021

Uh oh....."Green List"

I doubt the rest of the EU will follow.

Portugal's growth is from a very low case level: on a population adjusted basis, they're at about 4,000 cases a day which is only just above where we are.

And the rest of the EU is going to keep jabbing, and that means there are simply fewer and fewer people for the virus to infect. And the ones it is most likely to infect are the younger and less vulnerable ones. In other words, we're going to see a decoupling of infections and hospitalisations.

It's worth noting that that is exactly what happened in the US. They saw a wave between mid-March and mid-April, when their vaccination numbers were about not a million miles from the where the EU's are today, but they opened up in almost all states: daily cases went from 35,000 to 70,000, but hospitalisation and death numbers kept falling.

The EU is actually a little further along than the US was in mid-March, so I doubt they'll see quite such a big case increase, but the hospitalisations and deaths number will likely keep dropping.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    It was so obvious that Portugal and other majority unvaccinated countries on the green list would have a third wave. I hope that Portugal doesn't suffer too much from this, the people deserve so much better.
  • Options
    And this one may be closer than she would like:

https://twitter.com/DawnButlerBrent/status/1399988868246552576?s=20
  • Options
    isam said:

House prices booming in the Red Wall

And you think that is a good thing? People of my age who had properties in Sadly Broke, Bradley Stoke in the 1990s might have their doubts.

You probably can't remember 15% plus mortgage rates. I am not suggesting that will happen, but if it does...
  • Options

This withering riposte won’t be though:

https://twitter.com/HelpfulLalique/status/1399990274219257857
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,608
    ydoethur said:

TBF, there could be fuck all truth and social commentary in the great Sir Terry’s books and that would still be true.
    Harry Potter created a bit of a reading boom.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

Some are, some aren't. Tony Benn was right in his signposts vs weathercocks distinction.

And some are a mixture of both - opportunist on matters they don't care about, principled on a few core beliefs. Churchill was an obvious example of that. I'd say Boris was more like that than the Blair-type total opportunist.
    Benn was a signpost but it is weathercocks who generally win general elections.

Boris even wrote articles backing Remain as well as Leave before plumping for Leave to boost his chances of becoming Tory leader and PM
    You see through the haze that blinds the Boris fanbois.
    Do you mean Hyufd ‘sees through it’ as in, penetrates it and so sees all clearly, or ‘sees through it’ as in, has everything distorted by it?
    No in this instance HYUFD'S vision is 20/20.

Those wearing the rose tinted specs, not so much.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403

The pictures of that sky pool on that thread are something else.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

I always did my homework between 4 and 5 (until it got more than I could do in an hour). I think there are issues with keeping kids engaged though. I hate lecture slots late in the day and that is for students, let alone school kids. I got my worst ever feedback for a set of tutorials starting at 3.15 on friday afternoons - I was the last thing keeping them from the bar...
    I used to teach advocacy to Diploma students between 6 and 8 on a Thursday night. Some of the classes were better than others. I still remember telling one particular group that I was a representative of a potential employer if they were looking for a traineeship and I wouldn't employ any of them. That seemed to genuinely shock them and things improved but it was never easy.
    One of the big issues is the degreeisation of work, I work as a developer, when I got into it I did it by sitting there in the evenings with a pc and a books on c and general development in the evenings after being banned from the chemical labs due to chemical sensitisation. I did that while working a day job. Done the job sucessfully for 25+ years. Nowadays if I tried that I doubt would get a foot in the door as don't have a degree
    Actually, I'm not sure that's true.

I know quite a few (young) people with decent developer jobs without degrees. But they do all have one thing in common: they're contributors to open source projects.

Ultimately, if people know and trust your code, that is a better reference than any degree course.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2021
    Nearly 40 per cent of recent Covid victims died primarily of other conditions

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/02/nearly-40-per-cent-recent-covid-victims-died-primarily-conditions/

Caveat emptor...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

"'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Interesting (well to me at least) was encountering the word Hippogriff in a Jack Aubrey novel. For some reason i'd assumed the word was a Rowling creation, but obviously not.
    If a child gets into H Potter I'd assume they would be readers for life, which is great.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I preferred: "Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.'
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,396

Uh oh....."Green List"

European Cup Final ??
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Interesting (well to me at least) was encountering the word Hippogriff in a Jack Aubrey novel. For some reason i'd assumed the word was a Rowling creation, but obviously not.
    If a child gets into H Potter I'd assume they would be readers for life, which is great.
    It’s from 16th century Italian poetry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippogriff

Hippogriffs were traditionally assumed to be what drunks saw before pink elephants were a thing.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Uh oh....."Green List"

Portugal is in the top half of Vaccination in the EU with 56.7 vaccinations per 100 population and 18.6% fully vaccinated. The comparable numbers from the UK are 96.1 and 37.9.

I guess we'll find out.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited June 2021

ydoethur said:

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

@DavidL beat me to it...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    Beat you to it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,951
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I always did my homework between 4 and 5 (until it got more than I could do in an hour). I think there are issues with keeping kids engaged though. I hate lecture slots late in the day and that is for students, let alone school kids. I got my worst ever feedback for a set of tutorials starting at 3.15 on friday afternoons - I was the last thing keeping them from the bar...
    I used to teach advocacy to Diploma students between 6 and 8 on a Thursday night. Some of the classes were better than others. I still remember telling one particular group that I was a representative of a potential employer if they were looking for a traineeship and I wouldn't employ any of them. That seemed to genuinely shock them and things improved but it was never easy.
    I would hope that, as students learning Advocacy, they immediately put it to you that any group-wide inadequacy must have been due to the failings of the teacher.
    LOL, no they didn't but maybe they should have done.

I found teaching an interesting study in group dynamics. Some classes were conscientious almost to a fault, driven and demanding. Some were pretty rebellious and unruly like the group in question. What I found interesting was that you could tell the group psychology within half an hour of the first class and it rarely changed. It was also extremely rare for anyone to step outside the group consensus either by being lazy if they were diligent or diligent when they were being lazy. I don't know if this is a consequence of our University system but there was very little individuality. When you considered that these were the court lawyers of the future it troubled me.
    Just for clarity, how old were the embryo advocates, please?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Beat you to it.
    Surely you burned him?
  • Options
    Tottenham in talks with Antonio Conte
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I would hope that, as students learning Advocacy, they immediately put it to you that any group-wide inadequacy must have been due to the failings of the teacher.

I found teaching an interesting study in group dynamics. Some classes were conscientious almost to a fault, driven and demanding. Some were pretty rebellious and unruly like the group in question. What I found interesting was that you could tell the group psychology within half an hour of the first class and it rarely changed. It was also extremely rare for anyone to step outside the group consensus either by being lazy if they were diligent or diligent when they were being lazy. I don't know if this is a consequence of our University system but there was very little individuality. When you considered that these were the court lawyers of the future it troubled me.
    Too young to de foetus.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It was a post graduate diploma so most would have been 22 or so with the odd smattering of "mature" students.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

@DavidL beat be to it...
    "What does it tell you about a society, when poor people can make a delicious dish out of pigs ears? That someone is stealing the rest of the pig."
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Too young to de foetus.
    I don't suppose von Baer was one of DavidL's authorities, mind ...
  • Options

Terry Pratchett (like Douglas Adams) is not an easy read for a kid.

I think you probably need to get to the mid-teens to really appreciate them. (Although audio books can help: my 13 year old thought Going Postal was one of the funniest books she's ever heard.)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It was a post graduate diploma so most would have been 22 or so with the odd smattering of "mature" students.
    Thanks. Oh! How extraordinary. In recent years too, I presume.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,319

isam said:

And you think that is a good thing? People of my age who had properties in Sadly Broke, Bradley Stoke in the 1990s might have their doubts.

You probably can't remember 15% plus mortgage rates. I am not suggesting that will happen, but if it does...
    Inflation is about to hit is. We will see what they do about it. I am not a wondering doom monger on inflation, more short sharp shock.
  • Options
    Having three quarters of adults receive their first dose of COVID vaccine and half fully vaccinated is good news. The second dose is really important.

Thank you to all involved in the vaccination programme - scientists, trial participants, NHS staff, volunteers and the UK public

https://twitter.com/CMO_England/status/1400095845832343557?s=20
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It’s from 16th century Italian poetry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippogriff

Hippogriffs were traditionally assumed to be what drunks saw before pink elephants were a thing.
    And sort of tie in on where her mind was, Muggles were a smoke.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    4,330 new cases, 12 deaths

Zero Covidians will be all over the media tomorrow.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Beat you to it.
    Perhaps more seriously the poetry of the description of Man as THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE (and the capitals are there for a very good reason...)
  • Options

Uh oh....."Green List"

The week on week growth in case numbers has been between 15% and 20% in Portugal for over 2 weeks now.

However like in the UK that's form a very low base, and will take a long time to get to dangerse levels, and by that point many more people will have had the Jab.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I think you probably need to get to the mid-teens to really appreciate them. (Although audio books can help: my 13 year old thought Going Postal was one of the funniest books she's ever heard.)
    She's right. Unless she has heard Maskerade of course.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,489

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

Some are, some aren't. Tony Benn was right in his signposts vs weathercocks distinction.

And some are a mixture of both - opportunist on matters they don't care about, principled on a few core beliefs. Churchill was an obvious example of that. I'd say Boris was more like that than the Blair-type total opportunist.

Boris even wrote articles backing Remain as well as Leave before plumping for Leave to boost his chances of becoming Tory leader and PM
    Do you mean Hyufd ‘sees through it’ as in, penetrates it and so sees all clearly, or ‘sees through it’ as in, has everything distorted by it?

If HY’s vision is only a year out of date, he truly has made remarkable progress. Bravo!
  • Options

Tottenham in talks with Antonio Conte

Whoever have been chair of Spurs in recent years are clueless.
  • Options
    A pub has defended its new 'locals only' policy after banning tourists in an attempt to meet social distancing guidelines.

The King of Prussia Inn - known as the Proosh to its regulars - is in the picturesque riverside town of Kingsbridge, Devon.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9644449/Pub-Devon-town-BANS-tourists-launches-controversial-locals-policy.html

I thought it has long been a rule in parts of Devon? At least that's how it seemed as a grockle living down there a number of years ago, standing at the bar for ages while everybody else got served.
  • Options
    The #COVID19 Dashboard has been updated: http://coronavirus.data.gov.uk

On Wed 02 June, 4,330 new cases and 12 deaths within 28 days of a positive test were reported across the UK.

39,585,665 people have now received the first dose of a #vaccine. 26,073,284 have received a 2nd dose.

https://twitter.com/PHE_uk/status/1400106090541486081?s=20
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

My childhood reading included Agatha Christie as my grandmother had a large collection of her books. I have discovered an advantage of reading them that early is I can read them again now with little memory of who the murderers are.
  • Options

1200% surge?
  • Options

The #COVID19 Dashboard has been updated: http://coronavirus.data.gov.uk

On Wed 02 June, 4,330 new cases and 12 deaths within 28 days of a positive test were reported across the UK.

39,585,665 people have now received the first dose of a #vaccine. 26,073,284 have received a 2nd dose.

https://twitter.com/PHE_uk/status/1400106090541486081?s=20

They seem to be lagging updating the important metrics in regards to hospitalizations.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

rcs1000 said:

Uh oh....."Green List"

Portugal is in the top half of Vaccination in the EU with 56.7 vaccinations per 100 population and 18.6% fully vaccinated. The comparable numbers from the UK are 96.1 and 37.9.

I guess we'll find out.
    We will find out.

But look at the US.

On March 20th, they were at just 24.8% (one dose) and 13.4% (fully vaccinated)*. That was the day when you really started to see loosenings of restrictions. Before the end of the month, you saw pretty much all the most onerous restrictions removed in Southern states - Georgia, Florida, Texas, etc.

It led to a doubling of cases in the US.

But hospitalisations and deaths didn't follow. It turned out that even getting the most vulnerable 40% of adults vaccinated with at least one jab (and bear in mind the EU is at almost 50% now) has a massive impact on how serious CV19 is. You get the cases, but you don't get the deaths.

Even this was short lived. By the middle of April, cases were dropping again. And they are now at the lowest level since the pandemic began.

The EU will keep putting jabs in arms. They're going at about 5% of adult population a week right now. And most countries (although not really Portugal) are prioritising first jabs. That means you're going to get to most EU countries having 60-65% of adults with at least one jab by the end of June.

We were ridiculously cautious about removing restrictions. We should have been more like the US or - frankly - the EU.

* Those numbers are % of population. As % of adults it was about 32% and 17%.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,019

Tim Spoons says Telegraph took what he said out of context....

Wetherspoons boss denies facing shortage of EU workers

He added that Wetherspoons was not struggling to recruit, and in some towns, such as Northallerton, jobs at its pubs were oversubscribed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57314682

How many people are unemployed in this country?
  • Options

Well, in fairness that goes beyond exponential growth since yesterday: it is an infinite expansion.
  • Options

A pub has defended its new 'locals only' policy after banning tourists in an attempt to meet social distancing guidelines.

The King of Prussia Inn - known as the Proosh to its regulars - is in the picturesque riverside town of Kingsbridge, Devon.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9644449/Pub-Devon-town-BANS-tourists-launches-controversial-locals-policy.html

I thought it has long been a rule in parts of Devon? At least that's how it seemed as a grockle living down there a number of years ago, standing at the bar for ages while everybody else got served.

I remember being taken to a Devon pub by my father on my 18th birthday and hoping that he wouldn’t take me to one where the landlord would recognise me...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well, in fairness that goes beyond exponential growth since yesterday: it is an infinite expansion.
    More seriously on cases, it looks like doubling time is a bit over two weeks. Obviously we need to see how that is effecting hospitalizations.
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance

As an aside, I think your Portugal vaccination numbers may be a little bit out of date. See: https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#uptake-tab

They are at 45% of adults with one jab, and 23.1% of adults fully vaccinated.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

One of the great regrets of losing Sir Terry is that I think there was more for Moist von Lipwig to do. It kind of looked like the Patrician was training an apprentice...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Tim Spoons says Telegraph took what he said out of context....

Wetherspoons boss denies facing shortage of EU workers

He added that Wetherspoons was not struggling to recruit, and in some towns, such as Northallerton, jobs at its pubs were oversubscribed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57314682

How many people are unemployed in this country?
    How many Australians are unemployed in this country?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Its more than 20 years ago now because I had to give it up when I came to the bar. Don't drink and teach.
  • Options

Tonight
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,848
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

One of the big issues is the degreeisation of work, I work as a developer, when I got into it I did it by sitting there in the evenings with a pc and a books on c and general development in the evenings after being banned from the chemical labs due to chemical sensitisation. I did that while working a day job. Done the job sucessfully for 25+ years. Nowadays if I tried that I doubt would get a foot in the door as don't have a degree
    Actually, I'm not sure that's true.

I know quite a few (young) people with decent developer jobs without degrees. But they do all have one thing in common: they're contributors to open source projects.

Ultimately, if people know and trust your code, that is a better reference than any degree course.
    Yes there are a few routes still open and that is one, however it is certainly the case that not having a degree makes it harder to break in than it used to be. It was a similar route in my day even though preinternet. I wrote a piece of software to do a job that we needed doing and used that to lever my way into development.
    Even now after 25 years in the industry however you still get issues with a lack of degree. Mostly from companies that allow hr to prefilter cv's.
  • Options
    Game going to get away from England here....
  • Options

Don’t go camping on the moor under full moon
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Its more than 20 years ago now because I had to give it up when I came to the bar. Don't drink and teach.
    Well, not at the same time anyway.
  • Options

DavidL said:

More seriously on cases, it looks like doubling time is a bit over two weeks. Obviously we need to see how that is effecting hospitalizations.
    Also, what the ages are of the people in hospital. I think it's mainly people who are very unlikely to die of the virus.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Also, what the ages are of the people in hospital. I think it's mainly people who are very unlikely to die of the virus.
    And their vaccination status
  • Options

I had thought that with no obvious bad weather, a draw was a remote possibility. England's fragility aside, I am rethinking that.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The number of hospitalisations is still up 17% which is not much less than the 20% we have been averaging of late. It is why the failure to accelerate our vaccinations is so disappointing. We need to protect more and more of us until hospitalisations are falling once again and we need it before the 21st.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

And their vaccination status
    The mudbloods had it coming?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,662
    Woke Wars in Washington State - Left Woke 1, Right Woke -0

https://twitter.com/i/status/1399438626665074688

Seattle TImes ($) - Moses Lake boaters allegedly harassed another group over gay pride flags. Then their boat burst into flames.

When another boat began circling their vessel in a Moses Lake on Memorial Day, a group from Washington assumed they were trying to signal support for their gay pride flags.

But then someone on the other boat flipped a middle finger and yelled something about “gays” and “flags,” a passenger on the boat said. So the group started recording in case the situation escalated.

It did — but not how they might have expected.

Moments later, the other boat burst into flames, forcing passengers to jump into the lake — and leaving the victims to become rescuers as they filmed a moment that turned into a viral video this week. . . .

Around 7 p.m., the group stopped their boat, which carried a rainbow flag from one of Robbie’s first pride events, as well as another gay pride flag belonging to his brother.

That’s when they noticed a small vessel carrying three people speeding toward them. One of the other boat’s passengers, a woman, yelled something unintelligible before flipping her middle finger, Robbie said.

Then, as the boat seemed to speed away, it made a sharp turn and circled around them at least six times.

“At this point I could clearly hear the words ‘gays’ and ‘flags’ being shouted from their boat,” Robbie said.

By then, Robbie’s brother was already recording with his phone. When the other boat noticed the group was filming, the driver attempted to hide his face before speeding away, leaving a cloud of smoke behind and waves that rocked Robbie’s boat back and forth.

Moments later, the group heard a loud bang and sputter coming from the other boat, and saw a cloud of black smoke rising. “Holy crap! They blew up!” said Robbie’s brother, who was driving the boat.

Robbie’s brother steered toward the boat, which was consumed in flames.

“Help us! We’re burning!” shouted the woman who had flipped her middle finger at them moments earlier, Robbie said. Robbie and the rest of his group pulled the burning boat’s occupants to safety and then sped away before calling 911.

“The passengers were quite rude, shouting over us, ignoring my [inquiries] about their well being when on the 911 call and smoking a vape pen on our boat without even so much as asking if they could; several passengers of our boat have asthma,” Robbie told The Post.

Eventually, police arrived to extinguish the flames. The rescued boaters left to jump on a friends’ vessel without saying “thank you,” Robbie said.

Grant County Deputy Kyle Foreman told The Spokesman-Review it is not clear why the boat caught fire. The boat was eventually towed back to the shore, Foreman told the paper.

Robbie later tweeted a clip of two pride flags flying over the lake from his boat, writing, “And we’re back at it again! We will not hide our #pride.”
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

1200% surge?
    ZeroCovid/Independent SAGE 'If the government does not lockdown there will be 14,400 deaths tomorrow'.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

If HY’s vision is only a year out of date, he truly has made remarkable progress. Bravo!
    Except when his PB account had been hijacked by Robert Cahaly, HYUFD often talks sense. In all fairness, HYUFD has never been delusional enough to claim Johnson as Britain's greatest ever Prime Minister. Some on here have, and the guilty know who they are!
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,915
    edited June 2021

rcs1000 said:

My childhood reading included Agatha Christie as my grandmother had a large collection of her books. I have discovered an advantage of reading them that early is I can read them again now with little memory of who the murderers are.
    Ha ha, me too. I still have the collection of green and white penguin books somewhere (although they have a tendency to fall apart). I was told not to mention this by a teacher at school and to read Dorothy Sayers instead, if I must read crime novels.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608

Independent Sage getting their bar charts ready.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Well, not at the same time anyway.
    Unless you’re at Denstone College, which famously had a bar in the staff room.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The number of hospitalisations is still up 17% which is not much less than the 20% we have been averaging of late. It is why the failure to accelerate our vaccinations is so disappointing. We need to protect more and more of us until hospitalisations are falling once again and we need it before the 21st.
    I think we need to be careful about who is being hospitalized. It may be those who for whatever reason have not been vaccinated despite being eligible. In which case the acceleration or not is irrelevant.
  • Options

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

One of the great regrets of losing Sir Terry is that I think there was more for Moist von Lipwig to do. It kind of looked like the Patrician was training an apprentice...
    Although Raising Steam was a train wreck in more ways than one.
  • Options

Root's getting desperate. His 2 best bowlers on now when there is a new ball coming tonight.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

We really need the actual numbers not percentages though I agree with your point
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

You get these little spurts as CV19 rips through unvaccinated groups.

Even Israel had them: there were periods when CV19 cases increased sharply as a community of largely unvaccinated people saw a surge. But these wildfires happen because they run through communities of people, many of whom aren't vaccinated, who live together. They don't successfully leave the group, and instead burn out pretty quickly.

So, firstly remember that these groups are typically younger and therefore unlikely to result in lots of hospitalisations.
    Secondly, remember that these groups are inherently limited in size. They burn through the available people quickly.

UK Covid numbers are heading to zero (or near as damn it), because there are fewer and fewer potential hosts for the virus to infect. And every day, the number of potential hosts drops.

We need to chill out, and open up.
    Yes, I agree.
    What we will have over the summer is a series of very localised miniwaves. Local exponential growth will rarely last more than a few days. Looks like its Trafford's turn to ride the wave right now. Give it a few days, it'll be heading down again.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277
    "The 1977-1978 influenza epidemic was probably not a natural event, as the genetic sequence of the virus was nearly identical to the sequences of decades-old strains."

TL:DR - could have been a vaccine trial gone wrong.

https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/mBio.01013-15
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    rcs1000 said:

Uh oh....."Green List"

Portugal's growth is from a very low case level: on a population adjusted basis, they're at about 4,000 cases a day which is only just above where we are.

And the rest of the EU is going to keep jabbing, and that means there are simply fewer and fewer people for the virus to infect. And the ones it is most likely to infect are the younger and less vulnerable ones. In other words, we're going to see a decoupling of infections and hospitalisations.

It's worth noting that that is exactly what happened in the US. They saw a wave between mid-March and mid-April, when their vaccination numbers were about not a million miles from the where the EU's are today, but they opened up in almost all states: daily cases went from 35,000 to 70,000, but hospitalisation and death numbers kept falling.

The EU is actually a little further along than the US was in mid-March, so I doubt they'll see quite such a big case increase, but the hospitalisations and deaths number will likely keep dropping.
    Absolutely!!

The EU is where we were in March and we should have opened up then. We've pissed away 3 months for nothing but fear.

The EU are in the right here. They've watched what happened in the USA, watched what happened in the UK and they're not going to make the same mistakes we made.

They've made enough of their own mistakes but they're not repeating ours. Good for them!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005

isam said:

My mum mentions it quite a lot. She had no savings and a 15% mortgage, now has nice savings, no mortgage and the rate is 0.1%

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Uh oh....."Green List"

Absolutely!!

The EU is where we were in March and we should have opened up then. We've pissed away 3 months for nothing but fear.

The EU are in the right here. They've watched what happened in the USA, watched what happened in the UK and they're not going to make the same mistakes we made.

They've made enough of their own mistakes but they're not repeating ours. Good for them!
    I absolutely hate COVID and hate what the hell is going on. I hate lockdowns.

I do think some of you on here make it sound too easy for politicians, you don’t get how difficult the politics of COVID is for politicians, political decisions that weighing the lesser of evils, with choices like either this or that downsides.

For example, in part due to press pressure, you don’t touch Freedom Day, you declare Freedom from COVID. but in third wave the hospitalisations and deaths rise, the electorate call you the murderer - the press won’t protect you, they don’t do subtle, they don’t weigh the lesser, it’s all black and white in world of politics and public opinion.

Boris definitely does not need you as his advisor, he needs me.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Ha ha, me too. I still have the collection of green and white penguin books somewhere (although they have a tendency to fall apart). I was told not to mention this by a teacher at school and to read Dorothy Sayers instead, if I must read crime novels.
    I've been doing Terry Pratchett with my eldest daughter.
    We started with the Tiffany Aching series when she was about 8, and she loved them - though some of the themes were a bit more adult than I had remembered! She's now eleven and we've moved on to the more adult books - which again are just slightly more adult than I had remembered. But there's a lot to stop and talk about and explain the jokes, and the refelections of history and geography and the general themes and where the plot is going.
    She's off to senior school next year and I doubt I'll be reading to her for much longer, and I don't think her younger sisters will be as interested. But it's a nice series to finish on. Hopefully she'll then pick them up herself.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

My mum mentions it quite a lot. She had no savings and a 15% mortgage, now has nice savings, no mortgage and the rate is 0.1%

I remember it as if it was yesterday
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I think we need to be careful about who is being hospitalized. It may be those who for whatever reason have not been vaccinated despite being eligible. In which case the acceleration or not is irrelevant.
    In England only the number in hospital has grown from the trough of 745 to 776 on 2nd June. Thats an increase of around 4%. The England only admissions are not really changing - hovering around 80 a day. By contrast in Scotland in hospital has gone from 61 at the trough to 106 today, an increase of 77%.

People need to pay attention to details. For all the stress about Bolton, Blackburn and Bedford, there is no significant increase in those in hospital in England, but there is in Scotland.
  • Options
    MaffewMaffew Posts: 235
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The England data is more up to date (they have hospitalisations to Sunday). The latest daily figure is 80 and over the last 14 days has bounced between 69 and 98.

From playing with the England data I make the latest 7 day average 86.4 compared to 84.6 a week ago. So an increase of about 2%.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Yes, me too. It was a distinctly non-teenage oeuvre, but I lapped them up.
  • Options
    Maffew said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The England data is more up to date (they have hospitalisations to Sunday). The latest daily figure is 80 and over the last 14 days has bounced between 69 and 98.

From playing with the England data I make the latest 7 day average 86.4 compared to 84.6 a week ago. So an increase of about 2%.
    Yes and see my post for actual people in hospital. England does not have a problem.
  • Options
    Still another 32 overs to go today....7pm finish...
  • Options
    If Ollie Robinson is warned for running on the pitch, that’s not going to make England’s task easier.
  • Options
    Maffew said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

And this is why I will keep calling out the use of percentages , when absolute numbers have to be provided, anything else is misleading and independent sage are experts at that
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809

Still another 32 overs to go today....7pm finish...

They never play more than half an hour after the scheduled close (unless there have been stoppages for rain/bad light)
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I would abolish the current Decision Review System which involves the players. I'd just use it for absolute howlers — such as a batsman getting a big edge on a ball and being given out LBW — and it would be the job of the third umpire to inform the onfield umpires that they'd made a big mistake so they could recall the batsman in question. It wouldn't involve the players as far as appealing to the third umpire is concerned.
This discussion has been closed.