Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Opinium finds that the public mostly believed the claims made to MPs on Wednesday by Dom Cummings –

124»

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Cyclefree said:

Christ - the insomnia I seem to have developed in the last few weeks is becoming a bit of a bore now.

Beautiful time to be out in the garden though.

Was out at 4.15 closing down the moth traps. Perfect way to see the day break. Plus, first hawkmoths of the year.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Apart from the political results Opinium is also interesting on extending lockdown - 43% want to extend, 34% want to relax in June as planned, 10% think we should have relaxed sooner. Delicately balanced but certainly no great pressure to get on with it at all costs, as some here have been suggesting.

I think most people would be OK with an extension of a few weeks or longer if necessary. If it was extended for a short period and then extended again they'd find that irritating. If Johnson said "until 90% of willing adults have been vaccinated" or something like that, I think people would sigh but go along with it.

Thinking further there are multiple groups:

1) Those who want fewer restrictions and would make use of the extra freedoms
    2) Those who want fewer restrictions but don't want to use the extra freedoms
    3) Those who want more restrictions and would accept the extra restrictions
    4) Those who want more restrictions but would ignore the extra restrictions

There are also subgroups for example:

1) Those who want more restrictions in this country but want fewer restrictions on international travel
    2) Those who want fewer restrictions in this country but want more restrictions on international travel

5) people who explicitly link restrictions with the ability to work from home regardless of the wishes of their employer.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    alex_ said:

Apart from the political results Opinium is also interesting on extending lockdown - 43% want to extend, 34% want to relax in June as planned, 10% think we should have relaxed sooner. Delicately balanced but certainly no great pressure to get on with it at all costs, as some here have been suggesting.

I think most people would be OK with an extension of a few weeks or longer if necessary. If it was extended for a short period and then extended again they'd find that irritating. If Johnson said "until 90% of willing adults have been vaccinated" or something like that, I think people would sigh but go along with it.

Thinking further there are multiple groups:

1) Those who want fewer restrictions and would make use of the extra freedoms
    2) Those who want fewer restrictions but don't want to use the extra freedoms
    3) Those who want more restrictions and would accept the extra restrictions
    4) Those who want more restrictions but would ignore the extra restrictions

There are also subgroups for example:

1) Those who want more restrictions in this country but want fewer restrictions on international travel
    2) Those who want fewer restrictions in this country but want more restrictions on international travel

5) people who explicitly link restrictions with the ability to work from home regardless of the wishes of their employer.
    6) People who want restrictions only on activities in which they do not partake, leaving them ‘free’ to do as they wish.

(See also, people who want taxes to go up, but only on others).
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,284
    Two things:

1. This new ship. Great! Don't knock work being unveiled to "reinvigorate the shipbuilding industry". Probably worth pointing out though that we have been a major sea-faring power for a long time. The notion that it will be "distinct from any previous national flagship reflecting the UK's new status as an independent trading nation and helping us to seize the opportunities that status presents" is laughable. Year Zero was not 1996. Or 1973. We have spent centuries as an "independent trading nation" and have a long history of sending in flagships to "seize" opportunities.

2. The Unite plt to spread itself through the party and oust Iain Duncan Starmer. If Unite was a force for good or change then perhaps I would get their plan. Instead Unite could get done under RICO laws in America and wasted £2m of member's money in an absurd legal action against a Labour MP.

I keep making this point that its now absolutely clear that the hard left and the centre right can no longer occupy the same party. Their sole aim seems to be war against the other. The Labour brand is beyond tarnished anyway, let the nutters have it, and take the majority of members, MPs and the party machine away to do something relevant.
This discussion has been closed.