Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If controlling hospital admissions is the objective then the pandemic is almost over – politicalbett

Comments

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,688
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

When recovering from the worst pandemic in a century it’s important to get priorities sorted ..

SNP MP calls for #Eurovision to let Scotland enter separately from the UK

https://twitter.com/ryancapperauld/status/1397182247350976518?s=20

Let them. It would give the English somebody not to vote for....
    They can't, they are part of the sovereign UK and no non sovereign country competes in Eurovision
    So Scotland competes in the Euros, World Cup, Rugby World Cup, Cricket World Cup yet is not allowed to compete in effing Eurovision??

That is pathetic and ridiculous.
    If they did it would set a precedent, soon you would have Catalonia, Wales even Bavaria and Venice demanding to do the same.

Plus Scotland does not compete in the Olympics independently either, only as part of the UK
    The Six Counties don;t.
    They are part of the UK team too
    Northern Ireland being represented by Ireland in the 6 Nations rugby must cause your brain to flip.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,309
    Carnyx said:

Fishing said:

Mr. Boy, slavery was endemic in Africa at the time. And Arabia. And continued elsewhere after we stopped it.

A fetish for self-flagellation is not something I find appealing.

Oh, and, of course, we've got the tens of millions Stalin imprisoned and slaughtered, the Holocaust, Mao's epic death toll, Roman slavery. And the Aztec sacrifices.

Why are you so afraid of addressing bad things we did in the past? It isn't a reflection on us personally. It doesn't affect the pride we can take in the good things we did. It's just a question of being honest. The fact is that Britain built its wealth and power over the course of a couple of hundred years off the back of African Labour in the new world, a trade in human misery that we were active participants in. It's just laughable that people act so defensively whenever anyone brings it up or suggests minor acts of remembrance (like no longer venerating slave traders).
    I'm not averse to countries apologising for atrocities etc which they may have been part of in the past, but I would just mention 2 things:

1) I'm not sure why the average guy in the street should feel guilty about it, no-one alive today was aroound 200 years ago. That goes for companies as well.

2) The other countries in the world need to accept their part in it (including European, US, Asian and African countries) and act accordingly. Us remainers are always told to "move on" after 5 years, but for God sake even I would move on after 200 years.
    All that's fine if we didn't have a culture that enthusiastically celebrates Great British Achievements of 100 or 200 or 300 years ago, or that time Alfred the Great had a satisfactory bowel movement after beating back the Danes.
    For some reason you didn't mention Scotland's orgasms over William Wallace or Bannockburn?
    Perhaps because there aren't any. It's quite a difference, for instance when someone vandalised the Bruce statue at Bannockburn the response was 'meh'. And that was the height of the statue wars.
    Speaking of statues and history and the like, it's perhaps enlightening to see who has caused most damage to Scotland's statuary.

When statue protectors go rogue.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,975

As PB's resident Eurovision expert I'd like to point out Wales has had entries in the Junior Eurovision contest.

I think they were granted an entry as it was a Welsh language contestant.

So Scotland could enter a Gaelic language entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales_in_the_Junior_Eurovision_Song_Contest

Edit - I'd also like to point out we let Israel and Australia compete in a European music contest.

So entry to the contest is pretty flexible.

I look forward to seeing this on Eurovision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeSrkZfpAjc

Certainly no more unusual than somer of the stuff there - and actually a functional song.

• Options

Carnyx said:

Fishing said:

Mr. Boy, slavery was endemic in Africa at the time. And Arabia. And continued elsewhere after we stopped it.

Oh, and, of course, we've got the tens of millions Stalin imprisoned and slaughtered, the Holocaust, Mao's epic death toll, Roman slavery. And the Aztec sacrifices.

Why are you so afraid of addressing bad things we did in the past? It isn't a reflection on us personally. It doesn't affect the pride we can take in the good things we did. It's just a question of being honest. The fact is that Britain built its wealth and power over the course of a couple of hundred years off the back of African Labour in the new world, a trade in human misery that we were active participants in. It's just laughable that people act so defensively whenever anyone brings it up or suggests minor acts of remembrance (like no longer venerating slave traders).
    I'm not averse to countries apologising for atrocities etc which they may have been part of in the past, but I would just mention 2 things:

1) I'm not sure why the average guy in the street should feel guilty about it, no-one alive today was aroound 200 years ago. That goes for companies as well.

2) The other countries in the world need to accept their part in it (including European, US, Asian and African countries) and act accordingly. Us remainers are always told to "move on" after 5 years, but for God sake even I would move on after 200 years.
    All that's fine if we didn't have a culture that enthusiastically celebrates Great British Achievements of 100 or 200 or 300 years ago, or that time Alfred the Great had a satisfactory bowel movement after beating back the Danes.
    For some reason you didn't mention Scotland's orgasms over William Wallace or Bannockburn?
    Perhaps because there aren't any. It's quite a difference, for instance when someone vandalised the Bruce statue at Bannockburn the response was 'meh'. And that was the height of the statue wars.
    Speaking of statues and history and the like, it's perhaps enlightening to see who has caused most damage to Scotland's statuary.

When statue protectors go rogue.

I was confused for a moment till I realised you mwant the one where the statue protectors went on a rampage last weekend. Not the Edinburgh one.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,184

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

When recovering from the worst pandemic in a century it’s important to get priorities sorted ..

They can't, they are part of the sovereign UK and no non sovereign country competes in Eurovision
    So Scotland competes in the Euros, World Cup, Rugby World Cup, Cricket World Cup yet is not allowed to compete in effing Eurovision??

If they did it would set a precedent, soon you would have Catalonia, Wales even Bavaria and Venice demanding to do the same
    I don't think Eurovision really cares about setting a geopolitical precedent. They just want to see drag queens singing.
    Tough, Scotland is part of the UK and that is where it is staying. If there is a UK team or contestant already that UK team or contestant stays.
    Football and rugby are different as the UK does not compete as one entity (although Scotland did compete as part of the UK football team in the 2012 Olympics)
    It has its own team in most major sports, sports which are played by millions and followed by billions...

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Yet it cannot be allowed to enter a drag act from Falkirk into a naff singing competition – as to do so would cause some sort of diplomatic incident?

I'm going to enjoy hearing your reasoning on this one...
    Please do not get him started again

He is having one of those days conservatives hold their head in their hands in total embarrassment and dismay
    How much you can truly be described as conservative is debateable
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,164
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If they did it would set a precedent, soon you would have Catalonia, Wales even Bavaria and Venice demanding to do the same
    I don't think Eurovision really cares about setting a geopolitical precedent. They just want to see drag queens singing.
    Tough, Scotland is part of the UK and that is where it is staying. If there is a UK team or contestant already that UK team or contestant stays.
    Football and rugby are different as the UK does not compete as one entity (although Scotland did compete as part of the UK football team in the 2012 Olympics)
    It has its own team in most major sports, sports which are played by millions and followed by billions...

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Yet it cannot be allowed to enter a drag act from Falkirk into a naff singing competition – as to do so would cause some sort of diplomatic incident?

As there is already a UK entry, there is no UK team in any of the sports you listed above apart from the UK football team and Hockey teams at the Olympics (plus there is the British Lions too of course in rugby union).

So a logical solution would to bring Eurovision into line. I see what you are saying. I look forward to the Home Nations' singing in years to come. Maybe Wales would win??
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,079
    edited May 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Eurovision has some bizarre rules anyway. Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, which are arguably Asian participate, plus Turkey and Israel, which are, with the recent addition, for heavens sake, of Australia.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If they did it would set a precedent, soon you would have Catalonia, Wales even Bavaria and Venice demanding to do the same.

Plus Scotland does not compete in the Olympics independently either, only as part of the UK
    The Six Counties don;t.
    Northern Ireland being represented by Ireland in the 6 Nations rugby must cause your brain to flip.
    I would certainly only have 1 UK rugby union team at the world cup if I was in charge
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

He is having one of those days conservatives hold their head in their hands in total embarrassment and dismay
    I'm genuinely interested in his explanation for wanting to deport Quaker children. He is, after all, an elected member and you are not (no disrespect meant to you in the least).

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'm not sure it's really in the Government's power, never mind Epping Town Council's power. Is Westminster really going to legislate about Eurovision?
    We should refuse to send an entry if Scotland is allowed and the BBC should refuse to send any further funds as they are a UK broadcaster not a Scotland only broadcaster.

Not that the Eurovision managers would allow it anyway as it would guarantee a Catalonian entry shortly after which would see Spain withdraw too
    Is this the very same Spain which is just about to send a team to Euro 2021, despite both Scotland and Wales competing in that tournament?
    If there was a Catalonian team too Spain correctly would refuse to enter.

Personally I would have just one UK team for the football and cricket and rugby world cups too but we are where we are and there is not one now
    :s
  • Options
    edited May 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

As there is already a UK entry, there is no UK team in any of the sports you listed above apart from the UK football team and Hockey teams at the Olympics (plus there is the British Lions too of course in rugby union).

So a logical solution would to bring Eurovision into line. I see what you are saying. I look forward to the Home Nations' singing in years to come. Maybe Wales would win??
    Absolutely not, I would rather move the other way and send UK only teams to the football and rugby world cups
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Six Counties don;t.
    I would certainly only have 1 UK rugby union team at the world cup if I was in charge
    Not a rugby fan are you?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,612
    Ultimately it comes down to cost, either STV or BBC Scotland have to pay a lot of wonga to submit an entry, but they can submit an entry, the EBU have stated in the past.

Under the rules, any regions who are members of the European Broadcasting Union can apply for an entry. This would allow for a possible entry from Wales and Northern Ireland, as Welsh broadcasters S4C and BBC Wales are EBU members, as is Ulster TV.

http://esctoday.com/10483/scotland_first_eurovision_song_contest_entry
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,920
    Cookie said:

Mr. Boy, I'd be interested to know how far back you'd go with that. Living memory would be my instinctive approach to this sort of thing. How would you handle Caesar, who massacred a tribe (NB including women and children) of Thuringii during peace talks in... 53 BC (I think)?

I'm not an especial fan of Caesar, certainly not compared to Mr. Eagles, but I don't think that incident should be the prism through which he is viewed, just one of numerous significant events and decisions that he was involved in.

Although we disagree on some things you do seem reasonable, but many who bang on about this are not. They're iconoclasts, revisionists, and sometimes outright racists. With that in mind, I hope you forgive me if I seemed a little sharp in response.

No forgiveness necessary.
    It's an interesting question. Personally I would have a very high bar for removing statues. I think it's a question of weighing up the positives and negatives, and you'd need to see the negatives outweighing the positives by a wide margin before acting. Churchill is the obvious kind of figure that would not make the cut for removal. Equally a slave trader doesn't seem to me someone that a society that is knowledgeable about its history would want to see honoured in its Town centres. I see little in Rhodes' history that merits his prominent position on an Oxford college, either.
    Since Caesar was an aggressive foreign invader I'm not sure we should be having a statue of him anyway (do we have one? I have no idea). I am guessing if I were Italian I wouldn't be calling for his statue to be removed.
    Isn't Rhodes' commemoration at Oxford due to him leaving money for Rhodes scholarships?
    He also paid for the Rhodes Building, Oriel on which the statue stands.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Six Counties don;t.
    Not a rugby fan are you?
    In that case, why bother with the Calcutta Cup and , er, Three Nations?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Looks like the government is now trying to put the genie back in the bottle. Idiots. Gove needs to be pushed out of any role in government. The guy is a liability.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Six Counties don;t.
    Shut the front door. You'd get lynch as Twickenham for saying that.

That's why we have the Lions, otherwise when else am I going to wind up the Welsh about not winning a world cup?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Absolutely not, I would rather move the other way and send UK only teams to the football and rugby world cups
    Not a football fan either.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Mr. Boy, I'd be interested to know how far back you'd go with that. Living memory would be my instinctive approach to this sort of thing. How would you handle Caesar, who massacred a tribe (NB including women and children) of Thuringii during peace talks in... 53 BC (I think)?

I'm not an especial fan of Caesar, certainly not compared to Mr. Eagles, but I don't think that incident should be the prism through which he is viewed, just one of numerous significant events and decisions that he was involved in.

Although we disagree on some things you do seem reasonable, but many who bang on about this are not. They're iconoclasts, revisionists, and sometimes outright racists. With that in mind, I hope you forgive me if I seemed a little sharp in response.

It's an interesting question. Personally I would have a very high bar for removing statues. I think it's a question of weighing up the positives and negatives, and you'd need to see the negatives outweighing the positives by a wide margin before acting. Churchill is the obvious kind of figure that would not make the cut for removal. Equally a slave trader doesn't seem to me someone that a society that is knowledgeable about its history would want to see honoured in its Town centres. I see little in Rhodes' history that merits his prominent position on an Oxford college, either.
    Since Caesar was an aggressive foreign invader I'm not sure we should be having a statue of him anyway (do we have one? I have no idea). I am guessing if I were Italian I wouldn't be calling for his statue to be removed.
    Isn't Rhodes' commemoration at Oxford due to him leaving money for Rhodes scholarships?
    And did he not pay for Rhodes House? Very striking Cotswoldish between-wars architecture - very different from the University Museum almost opposite.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,510

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's excited about 'One Britain One Nation' week?

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19325929.one-britain-one-nation-event-childs-school-sparks-scots-parents-anger/

The week involves pupils dressing up in red, white and blue and singing an “anthem” called “One Britain One Dream”, which ends with the repeating lines “Strong Britain Great Nation”.

Haha. What a load of shit.

Please tell me this is satire.
    This course of patriotic song is standard fare in the US, Russia, China, even France.

Of course if it was belting out Flower of Scotland 5 times a day the SNP would have no complaints
    And? Civus Britannicus sum. We don't do that sort of thing.

And 5x Flower of Scotland would require some serious anti-depressants.
    We should do it more, we have far too many Scottish, Welsh and English national songs and not enough British national songs bar GSTQ which is more about the monarch than the nation and Rule Britannia which was more suitable for the age of Empire
    When @Dura_Ace and I have the same instinctive view of things selling this is going to make Sisyphus's labours look like a gentle workout.
    It does not need to be sold, the Tories have a majority of 80 and if they want to do it it will be done
    Not by me.
    If it becomes the law it will be required of every schoolchild across the UK
    Do you have any idea how chilling (and how un-British) that statement is?
    It is an utter disgrace and especially as he has recently been elected to office
    There is nothing disgraceful about pledging allegiance to your nation and if you think there is you really should think about moving to the LDs as you are miles apart from the Boris led Tory Party I am a member of
    It’s just not very British.

We should leave getting over-excited about things like that to lesser nations.

We could start the day with a collective grumble about everything that has gone wrong since yesterday; that would be the British way.

Our national motto: “not too bad thanks, all things considered”. We all instantly understand that “all things” are terrible, and need to be debated at length.
    This is where Danny Boyle went wrong, not realising that his job was actually to produce a ceremony that was a bit shit, to keep us stocked up with collective grumbles for the rest of that year.
    Indeed. My thoughts with PBers when the weather starts to improve from tomorrow. I mean, what's Leon going to do with himself?
    Wait for the massive snowfalls he assured us were coming this Thursday?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,220
    Clearly the answer is to host our very own Brexivision song contest.

Any country that is still part of the UK at the time can submit an entry.

Voting panels will be assembled in each Parliamentary constituency...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,409
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

I'm genuinely interested in his explanation for wanting to deport Quaker children. He is, after all, an elected member and you are not (no disrespect meant to you in the least).

I know you are not disrespecting me but @HYUFD is quite the most extreme commentator on this subject and is insensitive, arrogant, embarrassing, and just wrong

I am sure his constituents would be equally dismayed as are our fellow posters
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19325929.one-britain-one-nation-event-childs-school-sparks-scots-parents-anger/

The week involves pupils dressing up in red, white and blue and singing an “anthem” called “One Britain One Dream”, which ends with the repeating lines “Strong Britain Great Nation”.

This course of patriotic song is standard fare in the US, Russia, China, even France.

Of course if it was belting out Flower of Scotland 5 times a day the SNP would have no complaints

We should do it more, we have far too many Scottish, Welsh and English national songs and not enough British national songs bar GSTQ which is more about the monarch than the nation and Rule Britannia which was more suitable for the age of Empire
    When @Dura_Ace and I have the same instinctive view of things selling this is going to make Sisyphus's labours look like a gentle workout.
    It does not need to be sold, the Tories have a majority of 80 and if they want to do it it will be done
    Not by me.
    It is an utter disgrace and especially as he has recently been elected to office
    There is nothing disgraceful about pledging allegiance to your nation and if you think there is you really should think about moving to the LDs as you are miles apart from the Boris led Tory Party I am a member of

We could start the day with a collective grumble about everything that has gone wrong since yesterday; that would be the British way.

Our national motto: “not too bad thanks, all things considered”. We all instantly understand that “all things” are terrible, and need to be debated at length.
    This is where Danny Boyle went wrong, not realising that his job was actually to produce a ceremony that was a bit shit, to keep us stocked up with collective grumbles for the rest of that year.
    Indeed. My thoughts with PBers when the weather starts to improve from tomorrow. I mean, what's Leon going to do with himself?
    :D

Blizzard conditions afoot for central London...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Clearly the answer is to host our very own Brexivision song contest.

Any country that is still part of the UK at the time can submit an entry.

Voting panels will be assembled in each Parliamentary constituency...

Do the Six Counties count, in a Brexivision contest?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Almost certainly. Much of the time anyway. Although, AIUI, this year Ireland failed to qualify.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,228
    MaxPB said:

Looks like the government is now trying to put the genie back in the bottle. Idiots. Gove needs to be pushed out of any role in government. The guy is a liability.

The only sensible move is for the Government to withdraw the 'guidance' immediately. There are a lot of people very unhappy about this!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Six Counties don;t.
    Not a rugby fan are you?
    Yup. The home nations (which, let’s recall, for these purposes tends to include Ireland) playing each other at sport makes for wonderful events that have nothing to do with politics or debates about the union. Anyone that wants to get rid of them doesn’t understand sport.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

This is one reason I'm not excessively concerned by B.1.617.2:

Yes, some of the areas with concentrations of the variant are bad (Bolton, Bedford).
    Others with supermajorities of all cases being this variant are green or yellow, and falling (South Oxfordshire is just on my doorstep: majority this variant, yellow on the map, and falling).
    Wiltshire: majority this variant, yellow, and falling.
    West Oxfordshire is pretty much 100% Indian Variant, and while it's growing, it's down to 4 new cases in Witney and 2 new cases in Carterton, and that's it.

Maybe I'll be proven to be too blase about it, but the Kent variant swept the country in two or three weeks and saw massive spikes everywhere. This one's been stumbling around trying to spark and only achieving a handful of isolated outbreaks, primarily in the unvaccinated, and those are already largely coming under control.

Where can I see this data - can you give a link please? Looks interesting!
    It's here: https://covid19.sanger.ac.uk/lineages/raw?latitude=54.168006&longitude=-2.359571&zoom=4.88&lineage=B.1.617.2&colorBy=p
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Six Counties don;t.
    Not a rugby fan are you?
    Yup. The home nations (which, let’s recall, for these purposes tends to include Ireland) playing each other at sport makes for wonderful events that have nothing to do with politics or debates about the union. Anyone that wants to get rid of them doesn’t understand sport.
    You could still have them but just not at world cup level, where only 1 UK team would be sent
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

As PB's resident Eurovision expert I'd like to point out Wales has had entries in the Junior Eurovision contest.

Edit - I'd also like to point out we let Israel and Australia compete in a European music contest.

Certainly no more unusual than somer of the stuff there - and actually a functional song.

Very much so.

The thing that consoles me as the UK finishes bottom for most of this millenium in Eurovision is that we're competing with the best musical groups/singers the other countries have whilst we send rubbish.

Just imagine if the UK sent one of the better bands/singers to next year's Eurovision, you know The Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Steps, The Who, or The Stone Roses.

We'd win a landslide.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Do the Six Counties count, in a Brexivision contest?

They can submit an entry, but it is subject to additional paperwork, increased costs and likely to be delayed.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

The Welsh national anthem is magnificent

My dear late Scottish father in law said it is the best beyond compare
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.

:D

Blizzard conditions afoot for central London...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743
    Thank god, our alien overlords have intervened and saved our summer!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

The only sensible move is for the Government to withdraw the 'guidance' immediately. There are a lot of people very unhappy about this!
    Rightly so, whole areas should not be made to suffer the idiocy of anti-vaxxers. The nation needs to accept that 10-20k old people who refuse the vaccine will die every year from COVID. Life can't be put on hold because of their poor decision making process.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

I know you are not disrespecting me but @HYUFD is quite the most extreme commentator on this subject and is insensitive, arrogant, embarrassing, and just wrong

Over 1,000 of my fellow constituents voted for me as I stood on a genuinely conservative platform
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,382

Ultimately it comes down to cost, either STV or BBC Scotland have to pay a lot of wonga to submit an entry, but they can submit an entry, the EBU have stated in the past.

Under the rules, any regions who are members of the European Broadcasting Union can apply for an entry. This would allow for a possible entry from Wales and Northern Ireland, as Welsh broadcasters S4C and BBC Wales are EBU members, as is Ulster TV.

http://esctoday.com/10483/scotland_first_eurovision_song_contest_entry

This should totally happen. The fab 3 get points out of sympathy, England gets null points because gits.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Six Counties don;t.
    Thank goodness you are not
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Nonsense, the greatest national anthem is La Marseillaise.

It pains me to say that, especially England & The UK has a bloody dirge.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,295
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Six Counties don;t.
    Not a rugby fan are you?
    You could still have them but just not at world cup level, where only 1 UK team would be sent
    You're not really that into sport are you?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Very much so.

The thing that consoles me as the UK finishes bottom for most of this millenium in Eurovision is that we're competing with the best musical groups/singers the other countries have whilst we send rubbish.

Just imagine if the UK sent one of the better bands/singers to next year's Eurovision, you know The Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Steps, The Who, or The Stone Roses.

We'd win a landslide.
    Lol. Only one of those would win by a landslide!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Over 1,000 of my fellow constituents voted for me as I stood on a genuinely conservative platform
    Lol @ a town council election!

What is the genuinely conservative approach to public toilets?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Isn't he just
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Dismayed? Plenty of people enthusiastically vote to be an nasty to people as possible. Look how many votes Theresa "Send the forrin home" May got in 2017.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Six Counties don;t.

That's why we have the Lions, otherwise when else am I going to wind up the Welsh about not winning a world cup?
    The Lions also includes the Republic, so is not a UK team as such.

It would have been pre 1922 but even I am not advocating re annexing the Republic so we can send 1 UK rugby team representing the whole British Isles
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

UK isn't a soevereign country any more, not since Brexit. Northern Ireland, remember. And let's not talk about the Olympics.
    I thought Eurovision was based on TV partners anyway rather than "sovereign countries". If STV were offering big bucks, I doubt Eurovision would refuse.
    It does seem odd to have a Scottish team in the footie, but not in the singing.
    Did Scotland or the UK found the practice of singing? Because ultimately that is where it's current exceptions largely come from. To people outside the UK, Scotland demanding a eurovision entry, or having a football team is a bit like Bavaria (which was an actual country far more recently that Scotland) demanding to be allowed the same.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    Cyclefree said:

Maffew said:

Cyclefree said:

Chameleon said:

Am I missing something? Aren't the new 'restrictions' entirely advisory? If they are, then who really gives a toss?

Because the difference between what is the law and what is merely guidance and advice has been deliberately obscured by the government and misunderstood by officialdom, from the police down. That's why we should give a toss.
    A good example is in the new guidance where it says "this guidance is underpinned by law". Despite no change in the law.
    It's deliberately deceitful. Confusing law and guidance in this way is very dangerous -
    - it is arbitrary because there can be no certainty about what it means or how it is applied, with so much depending on which official you speak to or encounter
    - it undermines the rule of law
    - it means that people are deceived about their rights
    - it gives too much unaccountable power to politicians and officialdom.

No-one cares. They should.
    100%. Not even all officials are as enamoured as rule by guidance as it seems, but public bodies including gov and/or police confusing the two, intentionally sometimes but also unintentionally, is just wrong. It causes major problems.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,858

Carnyx said:

Very much so.

We'd win a landslide.
    *Imagines the Radiohead entry.... *
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Oh come on Big G, I haven't had such a good time for days now. This is a priceless thread.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

UK isn't a soevereign country any more, not since Brexit. Northern Ireland, remember. And let's not talk about the Olympics.
    I thought Eurovision was based on TV partners anyway rather than "sovereign countries". If STV were offering big bucks, I doubt Eurovision would refuse.
    Did Scotland or the UK found the practice of singing? Because ultimately that is where it's current exceptions largely come from. To people outside the UK, Scotland demanding a eurovision entry, or having a football team is a bit like Bavaria (which was an actual country far more recently that Scotland) demanding to be allowed the same.
    Well, the Welsh are allowed to, and they were annexed a long time ago.
  • Options

I really wonder at the wisdom of commenting on HYUFD's posts. He's simply a wind-up merchant.

But an elected one. So worthy of our consideration and attention.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953

Carnyx said:

Very much so.

We'd win a landslide.
    We need to find an established act that doesn’t take itself so seriously, that can write a catchy tune, come up with a dance or mad stage show.

This was the favourite to win last year, before it was cancelled. It’s the sort of thing we need to emulate.

Russians, from America, singing in Spanish.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=L_dWvTCdDQ4
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

And would, I suspect, if it still were, would be very much to HYUFD's stated tastes.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Very much so.

We'd win a landslide.
    Le Royaume-Uni moins cent points.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,631
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Very much so.

We'd win a landslide.
    Steady on, old chap. Genocide is one thing, but that approaches advocating pineapple on pizza.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Sky now reporting North Tyneside has joined Leicester in confirmed HMG has made a mistake and must follow all previous advice

Surely, this is not a diversion from tomorrow's Cummings appearance

Sky even suggesting it is a climb down
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,858
    In an effort to derail the HYUFD for world rugby dictator discussion.....

Here's a bizarre thread on what happened to Einstein's brain.
    https://twitter.com/robertmoor_/status/1396922428110954497
  • Options

I really wonder at the wisdom of commenting on HYUFD's posts. He's simply a wind-up merchant.

We could crowdfund a single air ticket to Belarus?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

In the good old days it was don't get caught, now it's use them in the culture wars.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Six Counties don;t.

The Lions also includes the Republic, so is not a UK team as such.

It would have been pre 1922 but even I am not advocating re annexing the Republic so we can send 1 UK rugby team representing the whole British Isles
    Oh go on annex them.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

In the good old days it was don't get caught, now it's use them in the culture wars.
    Oh dear, what have I been missing?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,496

There was briefly a parody account, wasn't there? But I guess it went the same way as all the Trump parody accounts - what's the point when you can't tell the parody from the real thing?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Cottaging.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,578

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

La Marseillaise really isn’t a great anthem. It’s a fine, jaunty, uplifting melody, but an anthem needs specific characteristics: it needs to be a strong, distinct tune that is easy to remember and sing, and it needs simple direct words that fit well to the music

I’ve had numerous French people tell me, over the years, that La Marseillaise does neither. The tune jumps around too much to be easily singable, and the words just don’t fit. You can see this if you watch French sport teams ‘try’ to sing it lustily

There is also the problem that the French language, liquid and effete, simply isn’t meant for belting out anthems. Sad love songs, perfect

It is still better than GSTQ (tho GSTQ is nice and simple).

The Welsh or Russian anthems are the best
  • Options

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Cottaging.
    Where? Epping? Or ...?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

How much you can truly be described as conservative is debateable
    I think I’ve got a bingo. Anyone else?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,338

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Absolutely right. It’s magnificent.

I also like Fratelli D’Italia but it’s not a patch on the french one.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Incidentally the UK could surely do worse than having a Scottish, Welsh, and Northern Irish entries over the next three years. Show some home nation flair.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Oh come on Big G, I haven't had such a good time for days now. This is a priceless thread.
    I know but I cannot stand on onside and let an elected official of my party spout such idiotic and incendiary comments

Many on here disagree with me, and rightly so, but I will defend my party when utter nonsense is spoken by someone who should know better
  • Options
    Leon said:

GSTQ is nice and simple

So simple, not one of the English National teams apparently know the words
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,598

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

I'm not sure his constituents would be dismayed, actually.

Knowing the good people of South West Essex (definitely not London, dahl), I can imagine @HYUFD's proposals going down a treat.

One of @HYUFD's admirable qualities is calling it as he sees it.
  • Options

I wish that was true but he is not
  • Options
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

La Marseillaise starts well as an anthem, but rather tails off.
    'Come, children of the Fatherland
    The Day of Glory has arrived!'

Stirring.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,181

You need to read Tony Blair's article in the New Statesman:

"People are suspicious that behind the agenda of many of the culture warriors on the left lies an ideology they find alien and extreme.'

Mr Blair warned that voters do not like 'their country their flag or their history being disrespected'.

'''Defund the police' may be the left's most damaging political slogan since ''the dictatorship of the proletariat'',' he said.

'People do not like their country, their flag or their history being disrespected. People like common sense, proportion and reason.'"

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2021/05/tony-blair-without-total-change-labour-will-die
    Common sense: don't venerate slave traders and white supremacists, people who do not represent the values of our great country and are unworthy of our respect.
    Proportion: remove statues of slave traders and white supremacists from positions of prominence and put them in a museum where they can be placed in their historical context and understood against the prevalent historical currents.
    Reason: understand our history in full rather than drawing a veil over the parts that make us feel uncomfortable or reacting angrily to those who want to discuss historical wrongs.
    Anyone who thinks the answer is iconoclasm is someone either not thinking clearly or someone who has a more ideological agenda.

The Government are quite right to quash this with the general law.
    It's a very odd law. Why privilege statues over other structures? Should it be illegal to demolish any building?
    Is there any statue you would agree to take down if it were currently gracing the High Street of a British town? Jimmy Saville? Joseph Stalin? Fred West? Adolf Hitler? Or are all stone representations of historical figures to be preserved for all time regardless of how the person is now viewed?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Shut them and divert the savings into councillors expenses.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

We in Wales would disagree on the greatest anthem

However, I would agree totally with your second sentence
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Shut them and divert the savings into councillors expenses.
    Demolish them and erect a statue of a slaver?
  • Options

You need to read Tony Blair's article in the New Statesman:

"People are suspicious that behind the agenda of many of the culture warriors on the left lies an ideology they find alien and extreme.'

Mr Blair warned that voters do not like 'their country their flag or their history being disrespected'.

'''Defund the police' may be the left's most damaging political slogan since ''the dictatorship of the proletariat'',' he said.

'People do not like their country, their flag or their history being disrespected. People like common sense, proportion and reason.'"

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2021/05/tony-blair-without-total-change-labour-will-die
    Common sense: don't venerate slave traders and white supremacists, people who do not represent the values of our great country and are unworthy of our respect.
    Proportion: remove statues of slave traders and white supremacists from positions of prominence and put them in a museum where they can be placed in their historical context and understood against the prevalent historical currents.
    Reason: understand our history in full rather than drawing a veil over the parts that make us feel uncomfortable or reacting angrily to those who want to discuss historical wrongs.
    Anyone who thinks the answer is iconoclasm is someone either not thinking clearly or someone who has a more ideological agenda.

The Government are quite right to quash this with the general law.
    It's a very odd law. Why privilege statues over other structures? Should it be illegal to demolish any building?
    Is there any statue you would agree to take down if it were currently gracing the High Street of a British town? Jimmy Saville? Joseph Stalin? Fred West? Adolf Hitler? Or are all stone representations of historical figures to be preserved for all time regardless of how the person is now viewed?
    Mr Saville got cancelled.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/16033718.glasgows-wooden-jimmy-savile-statue-destroyed/

• Options
    Bedford just joined the chorus of no restrictions

Gove is going to have to explain
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,509

This new "guidance" about not leaving pox-infested places like Kirklees. This is exactly the kind of thing that the "pakis out" Heavy Wollen Independents stand for. Foreigners have brought this foreign plague with them and now the government have stupidly had to impose bans on natives. Yes I know that "paki" is both insulting and laughably inaccurate in this case, but its the language and mentality used amongst WWC communities in northern places like that. Ask my aunties FFS.

The only oddity with today's polity is that the people really hacked off with the Tories for doing this will punish them by voting Tory.

Perhaps if one of the left-leaning parties had at any stage raised any issues about the wisdom of lockdowns then they might have reaped some benefits. The Andy Burnham party did pretty well by it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

I was there when the Welsh sheepishly sang land of my fathers at a rugby match shortly after it was revealed most of Welsh players Graham Henry had recruited from New Zealand really weren't eligible.

I enjoyed singing "Land not quite of my fathers'.
  • Options
    I like Jerusalem because it's all about building a paradise, rather than war and fighting, using "Jerusalem" as a metaphor. I find it very inspiring.
  • Options

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

I know but I cannot stand on onside and let an elected official of my party spout such idiotic and incendiary comments

Many on here disagree with me, and rightly so, but I will defend my party when utter nonsense is spoken by someone who should know better
    Relax Big G, its ok, there will be a Labour, LD, Green, SNP, etc representative coming along very soon to say something bonkers.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,834

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

La Marseillaise starts well as an anthem, but rather tails off.
    'Come, children of the Fatherland
    The Day of Glory has arrived!'

Stirring.
    Yes, tails off is the problem. That's the great thing about land of our fathers: rousing to the very end.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,578
    If we want a new anthem we could get Hibs fans to sing ‘Sunshine on Leith’ every time, and give the world goosebumps

https://youtu.be/LeHkQYDoVJ0
  • Options
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

Also one of the great moments of popular cinema

https://youtu.be/HM-E2H1ChJM
  • Options

I like Jerusalem because it's all about building a paradise, rather than war and fighting, using "Jerusalem" as a metaphor. I find it very inspiring.

Nah, it has the original QTWTAIN.

'And did those feet in ancient time.'
  • Options

This new "guidance" about not leaving pox-infested places like Kirklees. This is exactly the kind of thing that the "pakis out" Heavy Wollen Independents stand for. Foreigners have brought this foreign plague with them and now the government have stupidly had to impose bans on natives. Yes I know that "paki" is both insulting and laughably inaccurate in this case, but its the language and mentality used amongst WWC communities in northern places like that. Ask my aunties FFS.

The only oddity with today's polity is that the people really hacked off with the Tories for doing this will punish them by voting Tory.

Does that mean you have to repeat its use on here? Horrible term.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,920
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

And did he not pay for Rhodes House? Very striking Cotswoldish between-wars architecture - very different from the University Museum almost opposite.
    I'm not sure about that one - it might have been built later to house a collection. I prefer the Pitt Rivers though (if Pitt Rivers hasn't been cancelled yet).

The building at Oriel was heavily criticised at the time for being ugly but I've definitely seen worse.

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,338

Incidentally the UK could surely do worse than having a Scottish, Welsh, and Northern Irish entries over the next three years. Show some home nation flair.

My lovely horse
  • Options
    kjh said:

ClippP said:

RobD said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

BBC North West Today news just on now explained how the local lockdown cock-up came to light - a pub landlord in Bolton stumbled across the new guidance yesterday, emailed BBC North West who then looked into it and broke the story on their late news bulletin last night.

Increasing confusion, anger and upset now in the affected areas. Reports of hoteliers in the Lakes now getting calls from guests in Burnley, Blackburn etc saying "can we still come?, do we have to cancel?" etc and not having the faintest idea what they should be saying or doing.

How long can the Govt go on just doing nothing about this? It's staggering!

An acquaintance has gone to see her parents in East Anglia for the first time in over a year.
    Now she has no idea whether she should be returning to Hounslow or not. All most bizarre.
    It makes South West Railways' job a tad more difficult as their passengers might be criminalised in the course of getting from London to Weybridge.
    Isn't it guidance?

Sounds like leaving it up to individuals to me. Good.
    Yeah, I think the bad thing this time is it wasn't really announced. Having guidance that says in hot spot areas it is recommended to minimise social interaction wherever possible seems sensible enough to me.
    The Prime Minister said all this on 14 December to be fair too.

Which makes the delay for putting the guidance online by a week then slipping it out without further announcement all the more weird.
    A further problem is that Johnson has lost all credibility. Does anybody believe a word he says?

Apart from HY, of course....
    BluestBlue doesn't believe what he says, but provided it doesn't lose him votes he is ok with it.
    Credit for liking that @BluestBlue
  • Options
    Leon said:

If we want a new anthem we could get Hibs fans to sing ‘Sunshine on Leith’ every time, and give the world goosebumps

I used to be a Hibs season ticket holder but that was 60 years ago
  • Options
    Leon said:

The national anthem should be Bohemian Rhapsody.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Why not Bavaria, Saxony, Tuscany , Alsace Lorraine and Brittany to name but a few?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Golf
    Hockey
    Netball

I was there when the Welsh sheepishly sang land of my fathers at a rugby match shortly after it was revealed most of Welsh players Graham Henry had recruited from New Zealand really weren't eligible.

I enjoyed singing "Land not quite of my fathers'.
    A cousin of mine, whose father was born in S.Wales moved to New Zealand. One of his sons is a very keen, and, I understand very good, rugby player.
    I suggested he could come to UK; he might be good enough to represent his grandfathers country.
    He wasn't keen; New Zealand or nowhere.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Why not Bavaria, Saxony, Tuscany , Alsace Lorraine and Brittany to name but a few?
    Brittany for a start could use the linguistic exemption. Not sure about some of the others.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953

Leon said:

The national anthem should be Bohemian Rhapsody.
    80% of the teams in my pub quiz last week couldn’t even remember the first line of that song.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,509
    edited May 2021

Yes, I agree. "I recognise my country is not perfect [dark satanic mills], but I love it nevertheless [green and pleasant land etc.] and will strive to make it better [nor shall my sword etc.]" Who could disagree with that? Also a great tune.

Interestingly, cf. "Football's Coming Home" - uniquely amongst football songs it lauds hope despite repeated disappointments and despite knowing we're no better than anyone else and at many times worse. I think there was a 2018 version which even started with a long tirade from Alan Shearer about how rubbish England had been last time around, along with, on the video, a montage of famous England disappointments. Most other football songs celebrate being the best even in the face of any available evidence.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Because they don't have TV stations which are part of the EBU, whereas Scotland does.
This discussion has been closed.