Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If controlling hospital admissions is the objective then the pandemic is almost over – politicalbett

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,410

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's excited about 'One Britain One Nation' week?

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19325929.one-britain-one-nation-event-childs-school-sparks-scots-parents-anger/

The week involves pupils dressing up in red, white and blue and singing an “anthem” called “One Britain One Dream”, which ends with the repeating lines “Strong Britain Great Nation”.

Haha. What a load of shit.

Please tell me this is satire.
    This course of patriotic song is standard fare in the US, Russia, China, even France.

Of course if it was belting out Flower of Scotland 5 times a day the SNP would have no complaints
    No, not the US, unless you’re conflating reciting the Pledge of Allegiance which is done at the start of the school day pretty much everywhere, with singing patriotic songs. In fact here it’s pretty unusual to sing the national anthem (as opposed to standing while someone sings it), probably because it’s so difficult for people who aren’t trained singers to sing.
    That is precisely the point, it is an anthem to celebrate the whole United States, not individual states of it, sung regularly and reinforced by a Pledge of Allegiance to the nation said by each child at the start of each school day.

A Pledge of Allegiance said to the UK and its monarch by every child from Shetland to the Isle of Wight would be a good idea too
    🤮🤮🤮
    Dear me @HYUFD

You are so out of touch with reality
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,997

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19325929.one-britain-one-nation-event-childs-school-sparks-scots-parents-anger/

The week involves pupils dressing up in red, white and blue and singing an “anthem” called “One Britain One Dream”, which ends with the repeating lines “Strong Britain Great Nation”.

This course of patriotic song is standard fare in the US, Russia, China, even France.

Of course if it was belting out Flower of Scotland 5 times a day the SNP would have no complaints
    No, not the US, unless you’re conflating reciting the Pledge of Allegiance which is done at the start of the school day pretty much everywhere, with singing patriotic songs. In fact here it’s pretty unusual to sing the national anthem (as opposed to standing while someone sings it), probably because it’s so difficult for people who aren’t trained singers to sing.
    That is precisely the point, it is an anthem to celebrate the whole United States, not individual states of it, sung regularly and reinforced by a Pledge of Allegiance to the nation said by each child at the start of each school day.

A Pledge of Allegiance said to the UK and its monarch by every child from Shetland to the Isle of Wight would be a good idea too
    🤮🤮🤮
    What happens if one is a republican? A Quaker? An independentist? An English Nationalist?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    Geological map of the British Isles - which very clearly explains why people live where they do, in Scotland for example:

https://twitter.com/geo_spatialist/status/1397155041274892291?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

And? Civus Britannicus sum. We don't do that sort of thing.

And 5x Flower of Scotland would require some serious anti-depressants.
    We should do it more, we have far too many Scottish, Welsh and English national songs and not enough British national songs bar GSTQ which is more about the monarch than the nation and Rule Britannia which was more suitable for the age of Empire
    When @Dura_Ace and I have the same instinctive view of things selling this is going to make Sisyphus's labours look like a gentle workout.
    It does not need to be sold, the Tories have a majority of 80 and if they want to do it it will be done
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

We should do it more, we have far too many Scottish, Welsh and English national songs and not enough British national songs bar GSTQ which is more about the monarch than the nation and Rule Britannia which was more suitable for the age of Empire
    When @Dura_Ace and I have the same instinctive view of things selling this is going to make Sisyphus's labours look like a gentle workout.
    He (Edit: HYUFD) also forgot the Six Counties.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮
    What happens if one is a republican? A Quaker? An independentist? An English Nationalist?
    Take no notice of @HYUFD ramblings
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited May 2021
    I can’t be arsed to read it all, but the Cummings stream of consciousness seems to be mostly attacking SAGE and the initial plan/expectations. It’s peak Cummings. “The system is shit but would be better if only it understood the principles under which the Pedigree Chum factory was first organisers in 1845”.

Boring.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮
    Tough, move
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

I think Rule Britannia is the best patriotic song any of the nations have. It's by far the best and most rousing tune, except Jerusalem, and its main message, that a strong defence is necessary to avoid being enslaved by foreigners, is as right now as it was in 1740.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,601
    edited May 2021
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

Re. the previous thread, my own view is that choosing Jo Cox's sister as Labour's candidate for Batley and Spen may work against them.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure everyone there thinks what happened to Jo Cox was terrible and dreadful but I can't really see how that automatically translates to people voting for her sister?

Certainly when Labour tried something similar with Gwynith Dunwoody's daughter in the Crewe and Nantwich by election it didn't work out (albeit that was in very different circumstances)

To me it has a sniff of Labour once again taking their voters for granted but I could be wrong...

One of the big problems with the Labour Party, in my opinion, is that they think people ought to vote for them. They're see themselves as morally superior.

The key thing is, Labour basically need to campaign in Batley and Spen like it was any other seat with any other candidate. If people bring up Jo Cox, then talk to them about it. But they must not make that a key part of their pitch.
    For a decent time there was a moral argument for not voting Tory. A nasty party who got off on punitive measures against the poor, sick, foreign. Most of which has been swept away when May was removed from office.
    For sure, Labour can have plans for tackling things such as child poverty. But first and foremost they need to appeal to the middle 70-80% for their own needs rather than anyone else.
    I sort of agree, but it's not either/or. Although it's unfashionable these days, quite a lot of us in the middle 70-80% think our own needs are reasonably well met, and think it's rather important that in a country as rich as ours effective policies to tackle child poverty are implemented. Indeed, even some of the super-rich, for example Marcus Rashford, think that child poverty should be a thing of the past. Not everybody votes out of naked self-interest (although I would argue that it is actually in everybody's interest to reduce poverty because of the beneficial knock-on effects, for example on crime rates, of doing so).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

The Pledge of Allegiance would be to the UK and its monarch, thus including NI too
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮
    Oh, he's entirely serious. He's an elected member for a political party. Of course I take him seriously.

• Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,859
    Cyclefree said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Maffew said:

Cyclefree said:

Chameleon said:

Am I missing something? Aren't the new 'restrictions' entirely advisory? If they are, then who really gives a toss?

Because the difference between what is the law and what is merely guidance and advice has been deliberately obscured by the government and misunderstood by officialdom, from the police down. That's why we should give a toss.
    A good example is in the new guidance where it says "this guidance is underpinned by law". Despite no change in the law.
    It's deliberately deceitful. Confusing law and guidance in this way is very dangerous -
    - it is arbitrary because there can be no certainty about what it means or how it is applied, with so much depending on which official you speak to or encounter
    - it undermines the rule of law
    - it means that people are deceived about their rights
    - it gives too much unaccountable power to politicians and officialdom.

No-one cares. They should.
    It also gives individuals and organisations sufficient cover to bully and hector others, thus prolonging this nightmare.
    Not just bullying. When officials are given this sort of power corruption inevitably follows. See Italy.
    What does your daughter (in hospitality) plan to do post 21 June? If legal mandates are removed from that date the insistence on masks, 2m stickers on floors etc etc will be rendered voluntary. My fear is that it will be businesses and other organisations that drag their heels in getting us out of all this.

I've already had this chat with my gym. About the significance of the 21 June date the gym manager clearly didn't know what I was talking about. And when I explained he said that people may not feel comfortable if we remove signage (masks must be worn, sanitise each piece of equipment before and after use, stickers on floor, half lockers taped up etc etc).
    Daughter will remove everything. While bookings for food are going well, drinkers are taking their time returning because people - here anyway - go to the pub to meet people, chat to whoever's there etc. It's a community centre, as well as somewhere to eat and drink. So the table rule inhibits that. She wants people back standing at the bar, mixing freely etc. It makes for a nicer atmosphere and is also essential to profitability.

She will keep using hand gel and cleaning tables etc - not least for her staff - visible hygiene is always good in any case.

And she will listen to her customers and what they want. Anecdotally people want the pub back as it was - having somewhere to go to chat, listen to music, even just read the paper, have a drink, hear what's going on - really matters round here. Otherwise it is too easy to get isolated.
    Personally, I hope table service instead of queueing at the bar becomes a regular feature.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,470

Sturgeon again referring to the Indian variant as April 02

She is ridiculous and of course how many people even know they are the same virus

Just posturing

"That mahoosive body of water twixt the Atlantic and the Pacific"

"That hot, spicy food you eat after a night out"

"The magic trick where the bloke makes the rope disappear"

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

The Pledge of Allegiance would be to the UK and its monarch, thus including NI too
    You didn't include Irish songs. That is unforgivably non-inclusive.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮
    Oh, he's entirely serious. He's an elected member for a political party. Of course I take him seriously.

Not just any political party, the governing party of the UK and I am delighted my party is promoting patriotic songs such as this one in our schools.

I hope they go even further and introduce a pledge of allegiance as I have said
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮
    Tough, move
    Your intolerance is shameful and outrageous
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,035
    When I was teaching kindergarten, and I'd utterly run out of ideas and energy, the default move was "Let's sing a song.".
    Crayons will be out next for "free art".
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,054
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮
    You get a visit from the authorities.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮

Now he’s a high profile elected representative, we should perhaps expect a little more mature judgement and a little less pained idiocy?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,416
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

It does not need to be sold, the Tories have a majority of 80 and if they want to do it it will be done
    Not by me.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮
    He’d manage to unite almost everyone against his policy, I’ll give him that. In that sense, it would be unifying.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,386
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

I honestly have no problem with patriotic songs - Jerusalem. Flower of Scotland. Land of My Fathers. Songs that have meaning. Not "One Nation One Britain" which is yet another faux-patriotic Tory agency ramming flags and twatty songs down primary school throats.
    It is a song to celebrate Britain as a whole, something all too rarely done
    It's interesting that the OBON people seem to conflate "Great Britain" with the UK. But I don't have time to drill down and find where the discrepancy lies.
    You mean "England" not "Great Britain".
    I'm quoting them, literally, from their website. It's the first specific indication of what they mean by 'Britain'.
    I know :) its just that on their website its clear that they have no interest in the Irish. So the "nation" they refer to isn't the state - the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The nation apparently is "Britain". Which isn't a nation. So really its England.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮

I am a member and do not take him seriously

Indeed he embarrasses me

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮
    Tough, move
    Shan’t.

Your move.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮

Not just any political party, the governing party of the UK and I am delighted my party is promoting patriotic songs such as this one in our schools.

I hope they go even further and introduce a pledge of allegiance as I have said
    Skimming the website they seem rather keen on "respect for all our people".

You could learn a thing or two from them.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,386
    I had no idea that OBON existed - what an absurd creation it is!
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited May 2021
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Why not to God?

You’re a crap tory, Hyufd
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Nor me.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    If it becomes the law it will be required of every schoolchild across the UK
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮

My brain can’t process the perspective in that photo. Surely she’s really far away, and yet....
  • Options
    ping said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Why not to God?

You’re a crap tory, Hyufd
    We already have religious assemblies in schools, we do not have a pledge of allegiance to the UK in schools though
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,234

Yes a stream of diarrhoea....

The architect of Brexit.

QED
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Do you have any idea how chilling (and how un-British) that statement is?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

I honestly have no problem with patriotic songs - Jerusalem. Flower of Scotland. Land of My Fathers. Songs that have meaning. Not "One Nation One Britain" which is yet another faux-patriotic Tory agency ramming flags and twatty songs down primary school throats.
    It is a song to celebrate Britain as a whole, something all too rarely done
    It's interesting that the OBON people seem to conflate "Great Britain" with the UK. But I don't have time to drill down and find where the discrepancy lies.
    You mean "England" not "Great Britain".
    I'm quoting them, literally, from their website. It's the first specific indication of what they mean by 'Britain'.
    I know :) its just that on their website its clear that they have no interest in the Irish. So the "nation" they refer to isn't the state - the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The nation apparently is "Britain". Which isn't a nation. So really its England.
    Oh that's nitpicking nonsense. Britain includes Northern Ireland. Just as the England Cricket Team is really the England and Wales Cricket Team.

Do you think Arlene Foster on a form ticks "white British" or some other option in one of those ridiculous diversity forms?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,314

She is ridiculous and of course how many people even know they are the same virus

Just posturing

When Big G passes judgment on Sturgeon and Drakeford, the world sits up and takes notice.
    Then has a good chortle.
    So you are happy for Scots to be confused between April 02 virus and the Indian one

And I see that any referendum with require all Scots living in RUK who qualify for a Scots passport to be given the vote

Therefore, in my family south of the border there are 5 no votes
    I hadn't heard that the rules for a new referendum had been decided. Truly breaking news!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

The US is hardly a model of civic unity...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Nothing chilling about it, US schoolchildren have recited a pledge of allegiance to the nation every morning for generations
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮

I am a member and do not take him seriously

Indeed he embarrasses me

Ditto.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    It is an utter disgrace and especially as he has recently been elected to office
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Nothing chilling about it, US schoolchildren have recited a pledge of allegiance to the nation every morning for generations
    And its rather chilling.

That its required off Americans makes it less un-British to you?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,515

Cyclefree said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Maffew said:

Cyclefree said:

Chameleon said:

Am I missing something? Aren't the new 'restrictions' entirely advisory? If they are, then who really gives a toss?

Because the difference between what is the law and what is merely guidance and advice has been deliberately obscured by the government and misunderstood by officialdom, from the police down. That's why we should give a toss.
    A good example is in the new guidance where it says "this guidance is underpinned by law". Despite no change in the law.
    It's deliberately deceitful. Confusing law and guidance in this way is very dangerous -
    - it is arbitrary because there can be no certainty about what it means or how it is applied, with so much depending on which official you speak to or encounter

It also gives individuals and organisations sufficient cover to bully and hector others, thus prolonging this nightmare.
    Not just bullying. When officials are given this sort of power corruption inevitably follows. See Italy.
    What does your daughter (in hospitality) plan to do post 21 June? If legal mandates are removed from that date the insistence on masks, 2m stickers on floors etc etc will be rendered voluntary. My fear is that it will be businesses and other organisations that drag their heels in getting us out of all this.

I've already had this chat with my gym. About the significance of the 21 June date the gym manager clearly didn't know what I was talking about. And when I explained he said that people may not feel comfortable if we remove signage (masks must be worn, sanitise each piece of equipment before and after use, stickers on floor, half lockers taped up etc etc).
    Daughter will remove everything. While bookings for food are going well, drinkers are taking their time returning because people - here anyway - go to the pub to meet people, chat to whoever's there etc. It's a community centre, as well as somewhere to eat and drink. So the table rule inhibits that. She wants people back standing at the bar, mixing freely etc. It makes for a nicer atmosphere and is also essential to profitability.

She will keep using hand gel and cleaning tables etc - not least for her staff - visible hygiene is always good in any case.

And she will listen to her customers and what they want. Anecdotally people want the pub back as it was - having somewhere to go to chat, listen to music, even just read the paper, have a drink, hear what's going on - really matters round here. Otherwise it is too easy to get isolated.
    Personally, I hope table service instead of queueing at the bar becomes a regular feature.
    I like getting my drink from the bar.
    When I was young and commitment-free, I'd sometimes go on trips to Europe with friends. Some countries have a tradition of table service, and it was a right bloody nuisance. Wait for a waiter to order your drink, then wait for him to bring your drink, then wait for him to come with the bill, then wait for him to take the money away and bring your change, plus a soupcon of awkwardness about whether and how to leave a tip. If you were in a new city for two nights and wanted to move around a bit, it got very frustrating.
    And while I live in a city and most people in the pub are strangers, and conversations tend to be with people arrived with, I like the minor friendly interactions. I like the possibility I might have a conversation.
    Buying a drink at the bar is how pubs should work. (For me!)
  • Options

Just posturing

When Big G passes judgment on Sturgeon and Drakeford, the world sits up and takes notice.
    Then has a good chortle.
    So you are happy for Scots to be confused between April 02 virus and the Indian one

And I see that any referendum with require all Scots living in RUK who qualify for a Scots passport to be given the vote

I hadn't heard that the rules for a new referendum had been decided. Truly breaking news!
    Good to be of service
  • Options
    edited May 2021

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    It is an utter disgrace and especially as he has recently been elected to office
    There is nothing disgraceful about pledging allegiance to your nation and if you think there is you really should think about moving to the LDs as you are miles apart from the Boris led Tory Party I am a member of
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,035

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    It used to be chilling and un-British.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,037
    maaarsh said:
    Check the byline folks before you start reading it (guess who didn't)
  • Options
    Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

I think Rule Britannia is the best patriotic song any of the nations have. It's by far the best and most rousing tune, except Jerusalem, and its main message, that a strong defence is necessary to avoid being enslaved by foreigners, is as right now as it was in 1740.
    It certainly proves that fine British patriots knew that being enslaved by foreigners was a very bad thing, a fact that didn't prevent them profiting from enslaving foreigners for another 60 odd years.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    edited May 2021
    Just been watching Nadim answering Ashworth's urgent question on the local lockdown cock-up.

The first time I have ever been cheering on the usually whiny Ashworth. He absolutely nailed it. Zadawi just waffled, clearly rattled, and didn't even begin to attempt to answer the specific questions asked.

As Ashworth just said, this stupid guidance should be immediately withdrawn - rather than the Govt trying to tough it out, try to pretend it's not a complete cock-up by the DH, and make it sound like all completely joined up guidance consistent with Boris's previous press conference days before.

Can I take my kids to visit their grandparents in Burnley now this weekend or not?

Can a family from Leicester go away on holiday for half term next week?

Do a young couple from Blackburn getting married on Saturday need to now tell their guests from outside the town not to come?

Not a word of clarity on these questions.

Utter utter shambles. This is going to be massively toxic for the Tories in the north, and needs sorting quickly - a grip needs to be got on this today. I'm rather angry - and i'm a lifelong Tory....
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮

My brain can’t process the perspective in that photo. Surely she’s really far away, and yet....
    Everyone in this looks photoshopped.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sorry HY, but that is simply not British. One of the brilliant things about being British used to be the quiet confidence of it. The lack of necessity of seeing a Union Flag behind every minister, the lack of need to have children singing songs in the wrong key. It is utterly vomit inducing. Leave the flag waving and song singing to those that are less confident, or at least the song singing to the Welsh, who are the only nation in the world who can sing their anthem in different parts and complex harmonies, and for which I love them.

Flag waving by civilians is for tossers and fascists.
    Oh you're just as bad from the other extreme. 🙄

Flag waving is perfectly normal and natural and has been done for a very long time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with flag waving if people do it voluntarily of their own free choice, whether it be a Cross of St George, St Andrew, the Union Flag, a Rainbow Flag or A. N. Other flag.

Compelling others to wave a flag though, or preventing others from doing so, whether by force or coercion - that is deeply creepy and has no place in this nation.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    There is nothing disgraceful about pledging allegiance to your nation and if you think there is you really should think about moving to the LDs as you are miles apart from the Boris led Tory Party I am a member of
    I think it's children benig forced to pledge allegiance that people find chilling, rather than pledging allegiance, which all are free to do at any time.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    eek said:

maaarsh said:
    Check the byline folks before you start reading it (guess who didn't)
    well done, you found the joke...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Yes. That’s rather chilling too. Not that I give a sh*t, but the idea is also deeply un-Tory. Can’t think of a single Tory leader who’d have supported it.
  • Options

Just posturing

Then has a good chortle.

Good to be of service
    Link?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,233

Cyclefree said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Stocky said:

Cyclefree said:

Maffew said:

Cyclefree said:

Chameleon said:

Provided you're prepared to pay more for your drinks to cover the costs of the extra staff, NI and pension contributions needed to ensure this I am sure you will be able to get it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited May 2021
    maaarsh said:
    What a massive coincidence....who would have thought a poor flint knapper of artisan sex toys and international bestseller would have such similar obsessions at the moment.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015
    Cookie said:

Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮

Everyone in this looks photoshopped.
    Quick, where's Peston?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Yes. That’s rather chilling too. Not that I give a sh*t, but the idea is also deeply un-Tory. Can’t think of a single Tory leader who’d have supported it.
    The only Tory leader who might have supported it was Tony Blair.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,688
    Cracking good posts from you today HYUFD.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

The only possible response to this sort of un-British nonsense is derisive laughter and mockery, both of which are much more British than this sort of fake patriotism.

Judging by the response of my children to their school songs, it is what this will get.
    Couldn't agree more. You don't instill good feelings about the country in people by forcing them to do this kind of crap.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    I think it's children benig forced to pledge allegiance that people find chilling, rather than pledging allegiance, which all are free to do at any time.
    Unless it is compulsory there is little point to it, it has to be universal to be effective and entrench loyalty to the nation from an early stage.

Perhaps if Boris is re elected in 2024 he will introduce the Boris pledge 'I pledge allegiance to the nation of the United Kingdom and its monarch and promise to respect and uphold the message of dear leader Boris to promote and spread British values across the country and as an example to the world'
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

MaxPB said:

eek said:

Well written Mike, this is over now.

While the "risk stratification" notion last year was codswallop, it was achieved months ago in this country already. "Deaths within 28 days of an infection" not all of which will be deaths from Covid as opposed to with Covid now are below typical road traffic accident deaths in a normal year.

Time to unlock everything. No ifs, no buts. If people want to isolate then let them. If people wish to be antivaxx and end up in hospital then that's their own choice, just as if people choose to smoke and end up in hospital.

We won't actually know the current state of affairs until 10 or so days from now when we see the impact of the May 17th changes and what that has done to case numbers.

And my concern with any statement that it's like the common cold is that we've had the common cold for 2000+ years and we all know what the consequences of it are.

We've had Covid for just over a year and we really don't know what the long term consequences of Covid are nor whether you can catch Long Covid from a mild case and the chances of doing so.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be opening things up but it does mean we shouldn't be rushing eagerly to do so. June 21st isn't that far away and a months wait now is better than another lockdown come October.
    We have vaccines, we have booster shots. There is no scenario where we keep any measures because people refused the vaccine. If the government proposes a winter lockdown to protect the chumps then that 18 point lead disappears overnight.

Putting any restrictions on the lives of double jabbed people beyond June 21st is a step too far. We should already be completely open as a nation with late night bars/clubs open and social distancing already axed. It's time to accept that 10-20k old people per year will die from COVID because they're too stupid to take the freely available vaccine.
    Putting any restrictions on the lives of double jabbed people beyond June 21st is a step too far.

FTFY. The only reason the young haven't been vaccinated yet is they were not at real risk in the first place. Why should people who've put their lives on hold remain on hold just because the vaccine isn't ready to them yet? Or because they've only had one jab because that's all they've been offered?

Double vaccinated or not shouldn't be relevant. We've double vaccinated those who needed double vaccinating, let everyone else determine their own risk profile.
    Important missing word:

"...is they were not at real risk of death in the first place"
    Hospitalisation and/or Long Covid are real things and real issues. Much though we might want to gloss over them.
    On a purely selfish note, when my daughters are both jabbed, I'll relax. Eldest daughter should be getting her first jab in the first week of June; hoping that my teenage younger one gets hers shortly after. But I'd not be happy for either of them to have a potential lifetime of options reduced just to shave off a few days right now for those of us now at lower risk of any of that.
    There's risks in everything in life. There's risks driving, there's risks learning to drive - young drivers are at high risk for that. Just because there's a relatively teeny bit of risk is not a reason to restrict their liberties.

Let them choose whether they want to take their chances or not. If they don't want to risk hospitalisation and long covid let them choose to stay at home. If they want to take their chances, let them. Its a choice.
    If one in seven 12-16-year-olds experience months-long symptoms, and one in six 17-24 year olds, that doesn't really equate to a "teeny bit of risk" in my mind. Nor is it remotely comparable to the chance of injury or death while learning to drive (total of 248 17-24-year-olds per year, including pedestrians.

That's not assessing comparative risks, that's "I want all this to be over NOW! and will reason that way come what may."
  • Options

Just posturing

Then has a good chortle.

Good to be of service
    Link?
    Getting worried
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Of course there is nothing disgraceful about pledging allegiance to your nation.

There is plenty disgraceful about forcing everyone to pledge allegiance to the UK when we have had recent civil war in N Ireland, about half of Scotland want independence and it is a very un British way to behave anyway.
  • Options

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

It certainly proves that fine British patriots knew that being enslaved by foreigners was a very bad thing, a fact that didn't prevent them profiting from enslaving foreigners for another 60 odd years.
    Nor did it stop any other maritime nation from so doing at the time.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    The only Tory leader who might have supported it was Tony Blair.
    Maybe Gordon "British Jobs for British Workers" Brown?
  • Options

maaarsh said:
    What a massive coincidence....who would have thought a poor flint knapper of artisan sex toys and international bestseller would have such similar obsessions at the moment.
    Now AIs are churning out flint dildos via 3D printers by the ton, he/they have to fill the time somehow.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮

Hugo Boss has really let himself down... ;)
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,456
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

I learnt to play that tune on the tin whistle and it's a tricky thing. Lots of high notes. Though the Hedwig theme is probably harder.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Unless it is compulsory there is little point to it, it has to be universal to be effective and entrench loyalty to the nation from an early stage
    I think you’ve pushed the facist Tory parody a bit too far this time. Roll it back or people will realise you’re not for real.
  • Options

Just posturing

Then has a good chortle.

Good to be of service
    Link?
    Getting worried
    How does one qualify for a Scots passport? Birth? Birth of antecedents? If so, which ones?
  • Options

Just posturing

Then has a good chortle.

Good to be of service
    Link?
    Getting worried
    So no link. Ok.
    After a good chortle the world goes back to ignoring Big G.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Diane Abbott making a fool of herself again...unless there are 4 armed black men, who have extremely strong views against the BLM movement.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9615843/Diane-Abbott-accused-inflaming-racial-divides-Black-Panther-Oxford-Sasha-Johnson-tweet.html
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Unless it is compulsory there is little point to it, it has to be universal to be effective and entrench loyalty to the nation from an early stage
    I think you’ve pushed the facist Tory parody a bit too far this time. Roll it back or people will realise you’re not for real.
    There is nothing fascist here, it is something most of the Red Wall Tory vote would be behind
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sorry HY, but that is simply not British. One of the brilliant things about being British used to be the quiet confidence of it. The lack of necessity of seeing a Union Flag behind every minister, the lack of need to have children singing songs in the wrong key. It is utterly vomit inducing. Leave the flag waving and song singing to those that are less confident, or at least the song singing to the Welsh, who are the only nation in the world who can sing their anthem in different parts and complex harmonies, and for which I love them.

Flag waving by civilians is for tossers and fascists.
    Oh you're just as bad from the other extreme. 🙄

Flag waving is perfectly normal and natural and has been done for a very long time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with flag waving if people do it voluntarily of their own free choice, whether it be a Cross of St George, St Andrew, the Union Flag, a Rainbow Flag or A. N. Other flag.

Compelling others to wave a flag though, or preventing others from doing so, whether by force or coercion - that is deeply creepy and has no place in this nation.
    I mention tossers and fascists and you pop up. Very appropriate.

I can assure you I have much more reason for holding the flag of our country in reverence than you, you silly small minded inexperienced little prat. You have opinion on everything and experience of nothing. Most people on here, including HYUFD have experience to put behind their opinions. What do you have eh? 24/7 keyboard warrior? You are pathetic.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Unless it is compulsory there is little point to it
    I agree with that, anyway.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Did they have the 'best patriotic song' identifying being enslaved as a bad thing?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Liverpool right-back Trent Alexander-Arnold has made it onto Gareth Southgate's provisional 30-man squad for Euro 2020.

Aaron Ramsdale, Ben White and Ben Godfrey have also made it... but there is still no place for Patrick Bamford.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Of course there is nothing disgraceful about pledging allegiance to your nation.

There is plenty disgraceful about forcing everyone to pledge allegiance to the UK when we have had recent civil war in N Ireland, about half of Scotland want independence and it is a very un British way to behave anyway.
    And Sturgeon's entrenching Scottish nationalist sentiment over British patriotism and unity is part of the problem
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    But I was born here and live here and I don't have an entrenched loyalty to the nation. I'll cheer on England at Rugby and Cricket as the default, but that is as far as it goes. After that I take people as they come. When we do something good, like the Olympics, I'll cheer and when we cock it up I'll boo and I'll do the same re everyone else in the world.

What are you going to do with me? Deport me?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Unless it is compulsory there is little point to it, it has to be universal to be effective and entrench loyalty to the nation from an early stage.

Perhaps if Boris is re elected in 2024 he will introduce the Boris pledge 'I pledge allegiance to the nation of the United Kingdom and its monarch and promise to respect and uphold the message of dear leader Boris to promote and spread British values across the country and as an example to the world'
    Maybe that is SKS's real hope - Boris doing sonething as stupid as that
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    There is nothing fascist here, it is something most of the Red Wall Tory vote would be behind
    Don’t live there, do you? They’d laugh at you. The only proper British response.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.

Maybe that is SKS's real hope - Boris doing sonething as stupid as that
    If Boris has been re elected though SKS will be no more I assume
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    But I was born here and live here and I don't have an entrenched loyalty to the nation. I'll cheer on England at Rugby and Cricket as the default, but that is as far as it goes. After that I take people as they come. When we do something good, like the Olympics, I'll cheer and when we cock it up I'll boo and I'll do the same re everyone else in the world.

Depends, what are your views on fruit-based pizzas?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    ENGLAND PROVISIONAL EURO 2020 SQUAD
    Goalkeepers: D Henderson, S Johnstone, J Pickford, A Ramsdale

Defenders: T Alexander-Arnold, B Chilwell, C Coady, B Godfrey, R James, H Maguire, T Mings, L Shaw, J Stones, K Trippier, K Walker, B White

Midfielders: J Bellingham, J Henderson, J Lingard, M Mount, K Phillips, D Rice, J Ward-Prowse

Forwards: D Calvert-Lewin, P Foden, J Grealish, M Greenwood, H Kane, M Rashford, B Saka, J Sancho, R Sterling, O Watkins

----

All that attacking talent, and I bet we still get scraping games with a slabhead header from a corner after spending 75 mins passing sideways.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Oh it is. The Red Wall Tories can do it if they like, but they can't make me do it and trying to do so makes it fascist.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Got an opinion poll to back that up, that compulsory chanting would be backed?

How often have you ever been to the red wall, let alone lived there?
  • Options

Fishing said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Did they have the 'best patriotic song' identifying being enslaved as a bad thing?
    Probably. If not, it was only because they hadn't written anything as good, not because they wouldn't have appreciated the sentiments.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635
    A very English/British/UK/Great Britain/British Isles thing is to have an undying devotion to a nation or country or region or something which has multiple names each of which offends someone so you are devoted to by doing nothing and thinking the queen is on the whole a good thing. It's worked OK since 1952.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,181

I had no idea that OBON existed - what an absurd creation it is!

It is news to me too. Looking at its website I have the impression that it is a rather tone-deaf effort with good intentions rather than something more sinister. The problem it faces is that its message - that there is a kind of progressive and inclusive vision of Britishness on offer that people of all backgrounds can embrace with enthusiasm - is not matched by reality. Government policy explicitly makes many black and brown people second class citizens, for instance by stripping people of citizenship based on their parents' nationality, or by implementing a hostile environment immigration policy that presumes people to be here illegally unless they can prove otherwise. We have a ruling party guilty of institutionalised Islamophobia led by a racist. And the government openly venerates divisive White supremacists like Cecil Rhodes as it stokes endless culture wars to appeal to its reactionary base. As long as the reality fails so utterly to match up to this kind of feel-good red white and blue nonsense, if anyone tells my mixed race kids to wave a Union Jack I will tell them to fuck off.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.

You and I are going to make his brave new world an administrative hell. We both need re-educating but we require very different camps.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Don’t live there, do you? They’d laugh at you. The only proper British response.
    💯🤣

Definitely!
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,400
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    I thought Max Mosley died yesterday....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    This pledge sounds naff and cultish.

Like recent episodes of clapping or kneeling.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Just posturing

Then has a good chortle.

Good to be of service
    Link?
    Getting worried
    How does one qualify for a Scots passport? Birth? Birth of antecedents? If so, which ones?
    Apparently by birth but also the children and grandchildren of Scots will qualify for a Scots passport

This is being discussed in a Lords Committee on the constitution as far as I recall, but I have not made this up because my family have a real interest in the subject
This discussion has been closed.