Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If controlling hospital admissions is the objective then the pandemic is almost over – politicalbett

Comments

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,688
    RobD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who's excited about 'One Britain One Nation' week?

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19325929.one-britain-one-nation-event-childs-school-sparks-scots-parents-anger/

The week involves pupils dressing up in red, white and blue and singing an “anthem” called “One Britain One Dream”, which ends with the repeating lines “Strong Britain Great Nation”.

Haha. What a load of shit.

Please tell me this is satire.
    This course of patriotic song is standard fare in the US, Russia, China, even France.

Of course if it was belting out Flower of Scotland 5 times a day the SNP would have no complaints
    And? Civus Britannicus sum. We don't do that sort of thing.

And 5x Flower of Scotland would require some serious anti-depressants.
    We should do it more, we have far too many Scottish, Welsh and English national songs and not enough British national songs bar GSTQ which is more about the monarch than the nation and Rule Britannia which was more suitable for the age of Empire
    When @Dura_Ace and I have the same instinctive view of things selling this is going to make Sisyphus's labours look like a gentle workout.
    It does not need to be sold, the Tories have a majority of 80 and if they want to do it it will be done
    Not by me.
    If it becomes the law it will be required of every schoolchild across the UK
    Do you have any idea how chilling (and how un-British) that statement is?
    It is an utter disgrace and especially as he has recently been elected to office
    There is nothing disgraceful about pledging allegiance to your nation and if you think there is you really should think about moving to the LDs as you are miles apart from the Boris led Tory Party I am a member of
    I think it's children benig forced to pledge allegiance that people find chilling, rather than pledging allegiance, which all are free to do at any time.
    Unless it is compulsory there is little point to it, it has to be universal to be effective and entrench loyalty to the nation from an early stage
    But I was born here and live here and I don't have an entrenched loyalty to the nation. I'll cheer on England at Rugby and Cricket as the default, but that is as far as it goes. After that I take people as they come. When we do something good, like the Olympics, I'll cheer and when we cock it up I'll boo and I'll do the same re everyone else in the world.

What are you going to do with me? Deport me?
    Depends, what are your views on fruit-based pizzas?
    I think I am ok on that one Rob - Definitely no fruit.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,515
    Cookie said:

Quieter skies, of course. We're under the flight path into Stansted and Heathrow.... the one that starts off Clacton.

Are the Ukrainian skies considered safe now?
    Doesn't look like it! Russian airliners at the very least appear to be avoiding it - look at this route between Moscow and Chisinau, avoiding Ukraine:
    https://www.flightradar24.com/SBI3211/27d2323c

EDIT: Ooh, interestingly, there is an RAF plane from Norwich over the Ukraine currently. Has flown from Norwich out over the Black Sea, turned around and now appears to be retracing its steps:

https://www.flightradar24.com/RRR7259/27d224ec
    There is also a USAF plane patrolling the borders of Belarus:
    https://www.flightradar24.com/FORTE10/27d18d60

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,386

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19325929.one-britain-one-nation-event-childs-school-sparks-scots-parents-anger/

The week involves pupils dressing up in red, white and blue and singing an “anthem” called “One Britain One Dream”, which ends with the repeating lines “Strong Britain Great Nation”.

This course of patriotic song is standard fare in the US, Russia, China, even France.

Of course if it was belting out Flower of Scotland 5 times a day the SNP would have no complaints

We should do it more, we have far too many Scottish, Welsh and English national songs and not enough British national songs bar GSTQ which is more about the monarch than the nation and Rule Britannia which was more suitable for the age of Empire
    When @Dura_Ace and I have the same instinctive view of things selling this is going to make Sisyphus's labours look like a gentle workout.
    It does not need to be sold, the Tories have a majority of 80 and if they want to do it it will be done
    Not by me.
    Don't you know that "we Tories have a majority of 80 and can do what we like"?

Anyway. It's definitely what people voted for in the referendum.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,410
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    It is an utter disgrace and especially as he has recently been elected to office
    There is nothing disgraceful about pledging allegiance to your nation and if you think there is you really should think about moving to the LDs as you are miles apart from the Boris led Tory Party I am a member of
    I think it's children benig forced to pledge allegiance that people find chilling, rather than pledging allegiance, which all are free to do at any time.
    Unless it is compulsory there is little point to it, it has to be universal to be effective and entrench loyalty to the nation from an early stage
    But I was born here and live here and I don't have an entrenched loyalty to the nation. I'll cheer on England at Rugby and Cricket as the default, but that is as far as it goes. After that I take people as they come. When we do something good, like the Olympics, I'll cheer and when we cock it up I'll boo and I'll do the same re everyone else in the world.

Please do not give him ideas
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    If I'd had my two vaccines and I lived in Bolton I really can't imagine quite how angry I would be today.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

I honestly have no problem with patriotic songs - Jerusalem. Flower of Scotland. Land of My Fathers. Songs that have meaning. Not "One Nation One Britain" which is yet another faux-patriotic Tory agency ramming flags and twatty songs down primary school throats.
    It is a song to celebrate Britain as a whole, something all too rarely done
    It's interesting that the OBON people seem to conflate "Great Britain" with the UK. But I don't have time to drill down and find where the discrepancy lies.
    You mean "England" not "Great Britain".
    I'm quoting them, literally, from their website. It's the first specific indication of what they mean by 'Britain'.
    I know :) its just that on their website its clear that they have no interest in the Irish. So the "nation" they refer to isn't the state - the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The nation apparently is "Britain". Which isn't a nation. So really its England.
    Oh that's nitpicking nonsense. Britain includes Northern Ireland. Just as the England Cricket Team is really the England and Wales Cricket Team.

Do you think Arlene Foster on a form ticks "white British" or some other option in one of those ridiculous diversity forms?
    If "Great Britain" includes Northern Ireland then why is the state called The United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Norther Ireland?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,234

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    I thought Max Mosley died yesterday....
    Well, of course Max ended up in New Labour and indeed was a Labour donor (until they decided his money was too dirty).

His journey appears to have been from Fascism through Conservatism to Sado-masochism and New Labour.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson's spokesman issued an extraordinary defence of the decision to sneak out new travel guidance https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/downing-street-insists-public-local-20672539
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,314

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

I honestly have no problem with patriotic songs - Jerusalem. Flower of Scotland. Land of My Fathers. Songs that have meaning. Not "One Nation One Britain" which is yet another faux-patriotic Tory agency ramming flags and twatty songs down primary school throats.
    It's interesting that the OBON people seem to conflate "Great Britain" with the UK. But I don't have time to drill down and find where the discrepancy lies.
    I'm quoting them, literally, from their website. It's the first specific indication of what they mean by 'Britain'.
    I know :) its just that on their website its clear that they have no interest in the Irish. So the "nation" they refer to isn't the state - the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The nation apparently is "Britain". Which isn't a nation. So really its England.
    Oh that's nitpicking nonsense. Britain includes Northern Ireland. Just as the England Cricket Team is really the England and Wales Cricket Team.

Do you think Arlene Foster on a form ticks "white British" or some other option in one of those ridiculous diversity forms?
    If "Great Britain" includes Northern Ireland then why is the state called The United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Norther Ireland?
    Northern Ireland, taking the Great out of Great Britain..
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

No, not the US, unless you’re conflating reciting the Pledge of Allegiance which is done at the start of the school day pretty much everywhere, with singing patriotic songs. In fact here it’s pretty unusual to sing the national anthem (as opposed to standing while someone sings it), probably because it’s so difficult for people who aren’t trained singers to sing.
    That is precisely the point, it is an anthem to celebrate the whole United States, not individual states of it, sung regularly and reinforced by a Pledge of Allegiance to the nation said by each child at the start of each school day.

A Pledge of Allegiance said to the UK and its monarch by every child from Shetland to the Isle of Wight would be a good idea too
    🤮🤮🤮
    What happens if one is a republican? A Quaker? An independentist? An English Nationalist?
    You get a visit from the authorities.

Is that the Met Police basketball team?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    CNN - New information furthers debate on Covid-19 pandemic origins
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxL20xSV0Qs
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

No, not the US, unless you’re conflating reciting the Pledge of Allegiance which is done at the start of the school day pretty much everywhere, with singing patriotic songs. In fact here it’s pretty unusual to sing the national anthem (as opposed to standing while someone sings it), probably because it’s so difficult for people who aren’t trained singers to sing.
    That is precisely the point, it is an anthem to celebrate the whole United States, not individual states of it, sung regularly and reinforced by a Pledge of Allegiance to the nation said by each child at the start of each school day.

A Pledge of Allegiance said to the UK and its monarch by every child from Shetland to the Isle of Wight would be a good idea too
    🤮🤮🤮
    What happens if one is a republican? A Quaker? An independentist? An English Nationalist?

Is that the Met Police basketball team?
    Can't be...don't you know white men can't jump.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.

I was born here and live here, and consider myself very fortunate to do so. This is my favourite country to be in. I'm as patriotic as they come. But I'd find this sort of thing deeply discomfiting.
    I'd quite like the 10% of the population who appear to hate the UK and everything about it to adopt a bit more perspective. But I don't think this can be achieved by getting them to sing or their children to recite a pledge each day. Because, look at America.
    That is another reason why I don't like it. I am not very good on the emotion stuff. Don't like hugging, kissing, crying, singing, etc. Firm handshake is as far as it goes. And I won't take an active part in something I feel is wrong. I won't make a big point of it, but I won't contribute either. So I will go to someone's wedding in a church, but will politely sit there not taking an active part as that seems hypocritical. So for an anthem or reciting an allegiance I would stand there, but do nothing.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    It’s just not very British.

We should leave getting over-excited about things like that to lesser nations.

We could start the day with a collective grumble about everything that has gone wrong since yesterday; that would be the British way.

Our national motto: “not too bad thanks, all things considered”. We all instantly understand that “all things” are terrible, and need to be debated at length.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

If I'd had my two vaccines and I lived in Bolton I really can't imagine quite how angry I would be today.

My mum (in Burnley) was almost in tears on the phone to me half an hour ago. Both of them have had 2 jabs, and indeed just came back today from a long weekend away which presumably they shouldn't have gone on. Of course, it will be ignored so long as it just remains guidance and not "law" - but it can't be long before, say, holiday businesses start cancelling bookings from the affected areas, restaurants and other hospitality refusing entry etc. All of this a month before the supposed 21 June Big Freedom day.

This is playing catastrophically badly up here - you can just feel all those Red Wall Tory votes just evaporating en masse as every second ticks by without this latest omnishambles being sorted.
  • Options
    MaffewMaffew Posts: 235

I've had neither (due to age) and don't live there and I'm pretty pissed off by it.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    kjh said:

Cookie said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.

I was born here and live here, and consider myself very fortunate to do so. This is my favourite country to be in. I'm as patriotic as they come. But I'd find this sort of thing deeply discomfiting.
    I'd quite like the 10% of the population who appear to hate the UK and everything about it to adopt a bit more perspective. But I don't think this can be achieved by getting them to sing or their children to recite a pledge each day. Because, look at America.
    That is another reason why I don't like it. I am not very good on the emotion stuff. Don't like hugging, kissing, crying, singing, etc. Firm handshake is as far as it goes. And I won't take an active part in something I feel is wrong. I won't make a big point of it, but I won't contribute either. So I will go to someone's wedding in a church, but will politely sit there not taking an active part as that seems hypocritical. So for an anthem or reciting an allegiance I would stand there, but do nothing.
    ... for an anthem ... I would stand there .... !!

I always sit down when the National Anthem is played.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

For the same reason the England team is technically the England and Wales Cricket Team.

The 'and ...' gets subsumed into the primary name. Doesn't mean that Welsh players wearing a shirt that has "ENGLAND" printed on it are playing for a different home nation.

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,602

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sorry HY, but that is simply not British. One of the brilliant things about being British used to be the quiet confidence of it. The lack of necessity of seeing a Union Flag behind every minister, the lack of need to have children singing songs in the wrong key. It is utterly vomit inducing. Leave the flag waving and song singing to those that are less confident, or at least the song singing to the Welsh, who are the only nation in the world who can sing their anthem in different parts and complex harmonies, and for which I love them.

Flag waving by civilians is for tossers and fascists.
    Flags in themselves are fine, they bring colour on a dull day. Hey, let's fly the flag of the Commonwealth as well. And the UN. And the Council of Europe.

Mandatory flag-flying, compulsory saluting the flag, that's different. That's not British, for the reasons you give.

However, Andrew Rosindell is my MP. And whilst I find his shtick absurd and sometimes menacing, only a fool could deny that it's electorally successful. Those voters are a key part of the governing party's coalition. Without those voters, no fortysomething percent in the polls now, no fifty-two percent in 2016.
  • Options

kjh said:

Cookie said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.

... for an anthem ... I would stand there .... !!

I always sit down when the National Anthem is played.
    So do I. I do post some crap sometimes.
  • Options

My mum (in Burnley) was almost in tears on the phone to me half an hour ago. Both of them have had 2 jabs, and indeed just came back today from a long weekend away which presumably they shouldn't have gone on. Of course, it will be ignored so long as it just remains guidance and not "law" - but it can't be long before, say, holiday businesses start cancelling bookings from the affected areas, restaurants and other hospitality refusing entry etc. All of this a month before the supposed 21 June Big Freedom day.

This is playing catastrophically badly up here - you can just feel all those Red Wall Tory votes just evaporating en masse as every second ticks by without this latest omnishambles being sorted.
    Bye bye Batley too, for the Tories. I suspect that's lost now, particularly as it's in the heart of one of the affected boroughs.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,859

ENGLAND PROVISIONAL EURO 2020 SQUAD
    Goalkeepers: D Henderson, S Johnstone, J Pickford, A Ramsdale

Defenders: T Alexander-Arnold, B Chilwell, C Coady, B Godfrey, R James, H Maguire, T Mings, L Shaw, J Stones, K Trippier, K Walker, B White

Midfielders: J Bellingham, J Henderson, J Lingard, M Mount, K Phillips, D Rice, J Ward-Prowse

Forwards: D Calvert-Lewin, P Foden, J Grealish, M Greenwood, H Kane, M Rashford, B Saka, J Sancho, R Sterling, O Watkins

----

All that attacking talent, and I bet we still get scraping games with a slabhead header from a corner after spending 75 mins passing sideways.

According to the Premier League Fantasy Football season just past, Foden, Grealish, Greenwood, Rashford, Saka and Sterling are midfielders.

Bamford unlucky.
  • Options

As ever though, you miss the point. I may dislike some of what is now being done and may be done in the medium term, but we are free of the EU and a future Government can change anything it wants. Nothing is permanent and the “ratchet effect” is gone from our lives.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,997

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

I think Rule Britannia is the best patriotic song any of the nations have. It's by far the best and most rousing tune, except Jerusalem, and its main message, that a strong defence is necessary to avoid being enslaved by foreigners, is as right now as it was in 1740.
    It certainly proves that fine British patriots knew that being enslaved by foreigners was a very bad thing, a fact that didn't prevent them profiting from enslaving foreigners for another 60 odd years.
    Not just foreigners. They were happy to enslave coal miners and sauters in Scotland till 1799.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    islamophobia

I had no idea that OBON existed - what an absurd creation it is!

It is news to me too. Looking at its website I have the impression that it is a rather tone-deaf effort with good intentions rather than something more sinister. The problem it faces is that its message - that there is a kind of progressive and inclusive vision of Britishness on offer that people of all backgrounds can embrace with enthusiasm - is not matched by reality. Government policy explicitly makes many black and brown people second class citizens, for instance by stripping people of citizenship based on their parents' nationality, or by implementing a hostile environment immigration policy that presumes people to be here illegally unless they can prove otherwise. We have a ruling party guilty of institutionalised Islamophobia led by a racist. And the government openly venerates divisive White supremacists like Cecil Rhodes as it stokes endless culture wars to appeal to its reactionary base. As long as the reality fails so utterly to match up to this kind of feel-good red white and blue nonsense, if anyone tells my mixed race kids to wave a Union Jack I will tell them to fuck off.
    Institutionalised Islamophobia in the party whose leader marched in goosestep with Nigel Farage during Brexit? Well you could have knocked me down with a feather.........
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015
    Scott_xP said:

Hold on, didn't remain voters vote against emergency budgets, 2p rise in income tax, and world war three?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Scott_xP said:

As ever though, you miss the point. I may dislike some of what is now being done and may be done in the medium term, but we are free of the EU and a future Government can change anything it wants. Nothing is permanent and the “ratchet effect” is gone from our lives.

How is that picture relevant to that quote?
  • Options
    AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Maffew said:

Cyclefree said:

Chameleon said:

Am I missing something? Aren't the new 'restrictions' entirely advisory? If they are, then who really gives a toss?

Because the difference between what is the law and what is merely guidance and advice has been deliberately obscured by the government and misunderstood by officialdom, from the police down. That's why we should give a toss.
    A good example is in the new guidance where it says "this guidance is underpinned by law". Despite no change in the law.
    It's deliberately deceitful. Confusing law and guidance in this way is very dangerous -
    - it is arbitrary because there can be no certainty about what it means or how it is applied, with so much depending on which official you speak to or encounter
    - it undermines the rule of law
    - it means that people are deceived about their rights
    - it gives too much unaccountable power to politicians and officialdom.

No-one cares. They should.
    No one cares?!

There have been posters on here who for many, many months have been pointing out the principles, and danger, involved in what the government has been doing. For much of that time to great ridicule by the majority.

People have consistently confused a dislike of draconian laws with a dislike of what those laws have been introduced to address. They may have been introduced to stem the spread of the virus, but the issue has always been broader than that - we are now in a society which, for whatever good intentioned reasons, has a set of fiercely illiberal laws with which it appears the government continues to control the population.

It's only when people's personal "red lines" have been breached (which in totality lie on a spectrum) that there has been outrage. The principle has never changed right from for example @contrarian's first post.

Now everyone agrees with him.
    I wrote to MP in May last year suggesting that a flagrant disregard for Parliament was slightly disappointing. The usual weasel answer although a week later the Speaker gave the government a kicking over just that point.

I believe in the rule of law, not the rule of “guidance” and delegated legislation.

The trouble is, at least for me, the time of liberal conservatism has seems to have passed. Labour has nothing to offer and the Liberal Democrat’s are not terribly liberal (unless liberal now means milk and water socialism).
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.

We could start the day with a collective grumble about everything that has gone wrong since yesterday; that would be the British way.

I wonder if HYUFD has considered moving to Belarus?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.

Our national motto: “not too bad thanks, all things considered”. We all instantly understand that “all things” are terrible, and need to be debated at length.
    This is where Danny Boyle went wrong, not realising that his job was actually to produce a ceremony that was a bit shit, to keep us stocked up with collective grumbles for the rest of that year.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Oh hello

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1397141412374777856

Nexta publishes part of alleged air traffic conversation on Ryanair. Seems to suggest that pilot was tricked by Belarusian air traffic control, who claimed bomb would be activated over Vilnius.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,400
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Hold on, didn't remain voters vote against emergency budgets, 2p rise in income tax, and world war three?
    No they didn't. They predicted loss of markets, GDP problems etc. They also predicted the drop in the pound, which has already happened.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮
    Tough, move
    So you would deport Quakers, for instance? That is, erm, a 'brave' sentiment.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 950

Covid is done. If you have had both jabs. And the latest foreign variants don't become resistant. And don't come here. So it isn't done!

We absolutely should work towards normalisation. But not just drop all restrictions because "its done". Its not.

Barring the import of a variant with significant vaccine escape, Covid in the UK is done, pretty much regardless of vaccine status. Anyone who hasn't been offered at least a 1st vaccine now is at so little risk it's not worth worrying about. So some foreign travel restrictions may possibly be be appropriate (although probably pretty pointless unless we go full New Zealand) but the remaining domestic restrictions should have gone some time ago - there is nothing domestically that can happen now which leads to a further wave of any significance.

The government did a very good job on the vaccines programme, which has been almost perfect. For the last three months it's been squandering these gains by unlocking a month to two months behind where it could have done.

If Starmer wasn't a complete moron he would have been making hay with this. Unfortunately he appears to be too stupid to capitalise on what's probably the most serious mistake the government made through virtually the whole thing.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    edited May 2021
    kjh said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.

We could fly a plane with him on board, back and forth across their airspace, but I am not convinced that they’d want him enough to put a fighter jet into the air?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    R4 WATO leading on the "lockdown by stealth" horlicks.....it was sneaked out on Friday night by the Cabinet Office.

Who runs the Cabinet Office?

Michael Gove....
  • Options
    edited May 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Well, of course Max ended up in New Labour and indeed was a Labour donor (until they decided his money was too dirty).

His journey appears to have been from Fascism through Conservatism to Sado-masochism and New Labour.
    I hadn't really realised that Mosley Jr was so involved in his dad's politics in his youth.
    I guess you have to take people's word for it when they say they've rejected stuff like, but just imagine the screeching if Max M. had come out in support of Corbyn (unlikely I know)!

I seem to recall Mosley being quoted as saying some disobliging things about Jackie Stewart and his dyslexia which if I'd had a previous involvement in politics based around an Aryan uber race I'd probably have avoided.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,599

Dura_Ace said:

I never thought our descent into fascism would be so cringe-worthy.
    I agree. I don't see the problem with Land of Hope and Glory.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

No they didn't. They predicted loss of markets, GDP problems etc. They also predicted the drop in the pound, which has already happened.
    And now they are complaining about the addition of markets. As for the rounding error on GDP, that's going to be imperceptible.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Cyclefree said:

Scrolling yesterday's threads I learn that @Topping and I were born in the same road in London - Avenue Road. Probably at the same clinic - long since gone

Totally irrelevant fact of the day.

Still cold here - though no rain. Am a bit fed up now with this. The garden has been watered plenty thanks. Gardening in horizontal wind and rain is no fun. A bit of warmth would do my roses, clematis - and me - the world of good. All we get is sun occasionally but no warmth. Enough already.

You'll just have to make do with the red-haired Laird until then....
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

R4 WATO leading on the "lockdown by stealth" horlicks.....it was sneaked out on Friday night by the Cabinet Office.

Who runs the Cabinet Office?

Michael Gove....

I was going to say this has Michael Gove's fingerprints all over it.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,035
    The daily act of worship in schools has made us rock solidly devout after all.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Floater, if true, I feel dreadfully sorry for the pilot (as well as the journalist, of course).
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

They voted for a fucked up vaccine response though...........
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Some of us foresaw the possibility of mandated daily song singing.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮

Not another Essex joke......
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,445

Wait, what? You don't live in Bolton?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Some of us foresaw the possibility of mandated daily song singing.
    Thank God leave won, have you seen the lyrics to Ode to Joy?
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

are you new around here?
  • Options
    R4 Estonian President calls for EU border with Belarus to be closed - lets see if Germany is as brave...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,599

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.

I hadn't really realised that Mosley Jr was so involved in his dad's politics in his youth.
    I guess you have to take people's word for it when they say they've rejected stuff like, but just imagine the screeching if Max M. had come out in support of Corbyn (unlikely I know)!

I seem to recall Mosley being quoted as saying some disobliging things about Jackie Stewart and his dyslexia which if I'd had a previous involvement in politics based around an Aryan uber race I'd probably have avoided.
    Not sure if Diana was his mother or not (or whether it was the first Mrs. Mosley) but she was a convinced Nazi all her life, so he was brought up in an interesting political environment to say the least.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lzkbouKG830
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

are you new around here?
    No, I was genuinely asking. The quote seemed to be about preferring to be outside of the EU rather than in, but the quote is of a fictional fascist leader.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

are you new around here?
    I'm not, and I don't get it either, so please explain for our sakes.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,357
    edited May 2021

Scott_xP said:

You’re calling me a fascist?

I suspect if I used the word I wanted to use to describe you, I’d likely be banned. Suffice to say it’s the least pleasant one I can think of, and one I rarely use.
    To be fair to Scott n Paste he just trolls for a bite and sees anyone to the right of SKS in such terms.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    Floater said:

Oh hello

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1397141412374777856

Nexta publishes part of alleged air traffic conversation on Ryanair. Seems to suggest that pilot was tricked by Belarusian air traffic control, who claimed bomb would be activated over Vilnius.

If there’s any truth to that, Western airlines are not going near the place for an awfully long time.

Direct threats against airbourne civilian airliners are acts of war.
  • Options
    surely the key thing about govt changing its covid advice to hot spot areas while marking "X" for no publicity is that it is a completely futile move.. If noone knows, why would they even think of changing their behaviour...

https://twitter.com/jillongovt/status/1397166124228304897?s=20

So:
    i) The policy won't work and
    ii) The government will get a lot of stick for it

What can Michael Gove have been thinking?

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Dura_Ace said:

"Wider Still and Wider shall thy bounds be set ..." isn't very woke in this age of anti-colonialism.

I don't care, but others probably would.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scrolling yesterday's threads I learn that @Topping and I were born in the same road in London - Avenue Road. Probably at the same clinic - long since gone

Totally irrelevant fact of the day.

Still cold here - though no rain. Am a bit fed up now with this. The garden has been watered plenty thanks. Gardening in horizontal wind and rain is no fun. A bit of warmth would do my roses, clematis - and me - the world of good. All we get is sun occasionally but no warmth. Enough already.

Ha yes - 12 Avenue Road I believe. Perhaps we passed in a corridor somewhere although of course I'm sure I'm many years older than you.

• Options
    Mr. Thompson, I get paid in dollars. Not thrilled with the current exchange rate.
  • Options
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,863

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮
    I was going to express the same sentiment, but less concisely.
    Thanks.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Maffew said:

Cyclefree said:

Chameleon said:

Am I missing something? Aren't the new 'restrictions' entirely advisory? If they are, then who really gives a toss?

Because the difference between what is the law and what is merely guidance and advice has been deliberately obscured by the government and misunderstood by officialdom, from the police down. That's why we should give a toss.
    A good example is in the new guidance where it says "this guidance is underpinned by law". Despite no change in the law.
    It's deliberately deceitful. Confusing law and guidance in this way is very dangerous -
    - it is arbitrary because there can be no certainty about what it means or how it is applied, with so much depending on which official you speak to or encounter
    - it undermines the rule of law
    - it means that people are deceived about their rights
    - it gives too much unaccountable power to politicians and officialdom.

No-one cares. They should.
    No one cares?!

There have been posters on here who for many, many months have been pointing out the principles, and danger, involved in what the government has been doing. For much of that time to great ridicule by the majority.

People have consistently confused a dislike of draconian laws with a dislike of what those laws have been introduced to address. They may have been introduced to stem the spread of the virus, but the issue has always been broader than that - we are now in a society which, for whatever good intentioned reasons, has a set of fiercely illiberal laws with which it appears the government continues to control the population.

It's only when people's personal "red lines" have been breached (which in totality lie on a spectrum) that there has been outrage. The principle has never changed right from for example @contrarian's first post.

Now everyone agrees with him.
    I wrote to MP in May last year suggesting that a flagrant disregard for Parliament was slightly disappointing. The usual weasel answer although a week later the Speaker gave the government a kicking over just that point.

I believe in the rule of law, not the rule of “guidance” and delegated legislation.

The trouble is, at least for me, the time of liberal conservatism has seems to have passed. Labour has nothing to offer and the Liberal Democrat’s are not terribly liberal (unless liberal now means milk and water socialism).
    During Lockdown One I kept a copy of the rules & regs in my back pocket on my three daily cycle rides because if plod decided to stop me and for whatever reason had noticed I had been outside previously I would be able to quote the law at them.

I foresee a bit more of that, depending on what the rules/regulations/laws/guidance turns out to be.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.

Not sure if Diana was his mother or not (or whether it was the first Mrs. Mosley) but she was a convinced Nazi all her life, so he was brought up in an interesting political environment to say the least.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lzkbouKG830
    I think the best term for Oswald and Diana Mitford would probably be unapologetic, which would also set up an interesting family dynamic if someone was trying to distance themselves from those politics.
    Checking Wiki Diana was his mother with one other 'full' brother. One of his half brothers, Nicholas, is/was a decent writer though I haven't read anything of his for an age. Wrote some excoriating stuff about his dad.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    BBC North West Today news just on now explained how the local lockdown cock-up came to light - a pub landlord in Bolton stumbled across the new guidance yesterday, emailed BBC North West who then looked into it and broke the story on their late news bulletin last night.

Increasing confusion, anger and upset now in the affected areas. Reports of hoteliers in the Lakes now getting calls from guests in Burnley, Blackburn etc saying "can we still come?, do we have to cancel?" etc and not having the faintest idea what they should be saying or doing.

How long can the Govt go on just doing nothing about this? It's staggering!

I take our kids to swimming classes in Bolton every weekend. Can they still go? Will the company that runs the classes be given some clear guidance on what they should be doing? Can they claim grants or compensation if they have to shut down again? Will the hotel with the pool which hosts the classes now have to close to anyone from outside Bolton anyway?

Unbelievable.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,863
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    Even in the US, that is not true.
    You are an instinctive (and Pooterish) authoritarian.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Mr. Sykes, aye, it's alarmingly incompetent.

Edited extra bit: Labour 2.5 on Betfair for those who think this'll affect the by-election.
  • Options
    MaffewMaffew Posts: 235
    Hmm I shall be cycling past that area at around that time tomorrow (just as part of my day to day movement). I will need to make sure I don't wear my red jacket.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Gove is such a massive snake. He should be sacked over this new attempt to extend lockdown without telling people affected by it or informing Parliament in advance.

Can Scotland take him back, please?
  • Options

BBC North West Today news just on now explained how the local lockdown cock-up came to light - a pub landlord in Bolton stumbled across the new guidance yesterday, emailed BBC North West who then looked into it and broke the story on their late news bulletin last night.

Increasing confusion, anger and upset now in the affected areas. Reports of hoteliers in the Lakes now getting calls from guests in Burnley, Blackburn etc saying "can we still come?, do we have to cancel?" etc and not having the faintest idea what they should be saying or doing.

Say:

It was all a mistake - not going to happen
    Actually we're going to broaden the advice to incorporate more places/everywhere - might happen
    You should have been looking on Page XXX/123/nnn of this or that document - most likely.
  • Options

An acquaintance has gone to see her parents in East Anglia for the first time in over a year.
    Now she has no idea whether she should be returning to Hounslow or not. All most bizarre.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,181
    Fishing said:

Dura_Ace said:

"Wider Still and Wider shall thy bounds be set ..." isn't very woke in this age of anti-colonialism.

Who knows the words to Land of Hope and Glory? It's a decent enough tune but I have no idea what it's lyrics are beyond the title. Jerusalem and the Welsh song are the only decent national anthem contenders really, the others are all crap although Rule Britannia is the only one I actively hate.
  • Options
    Royal Bolton Hospital reporting one of its busiest Covid days.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    I can't see @HYUFD advocating this without the associated beatings, to improve morale.
  • Options

I take our kids to swimming classes in Bolton every weekend. Can they still go? Will the company that runs the classes be given some clear guidance on what they should be doing? Can they claim grants or compensation if they have to shut down again? Will the hotel with the pool which hosts the classes now have to close to anyone from outside Bolton anyway?

Unbelievable.

Honestly, just continue as before. You're not breaking any laws. It's just bullshit guidance from Gove who clearly doesn't want to let go of the power he has over everyone.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,167
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.

This is where Danny Boyle went wrong, not realising that his job was actually to produce a ceremony that was a bit shit, to keep us stocked up with collective grumbles for the rest of that year.
    Indeed. My thoughts with PBers when the weather starts to improve from tomorrow. I mean, what's Leon going to do with himself?
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,400

Scott_xP said:

We were always free to do as we wanted, and usually did. Just like the 27 other sovereign countries in the EU. Yet again you are assuming that the majority in 2016 was enormous, when it was barely 3.5%.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,628
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    I can't see @HYUFD advocating this without the associated beatings, to improve morale.
    Just imagine if Blair or Brown had introduced this bullshit.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

An acquaintance has gone to see her parents in East Anglia for the first time in over a year.
    Now she has no idea whether she should be returning to Hounslow or not. All most bizarre.
    It makes South West Railways' job a tad more difficult as their passengers might be criminalised in the course of getting from London to Weybridge.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,628
    edited May 2021
    MaxPB said:

Unbelievable.

Honestly, just continue as before. You're not breaking any laws. It's just bullshit guidance from Gove who clearly doesn't want to let go of the power he has over everyone.
    I'm still rolling my eyes at the plan for double jabbed people having to self isolate for ten days after June 21st.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,601
    kjh said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.

No, too many wishy-washy liberals and an active opposition.

North Korea would suit him better.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,502
    edited May 2021
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮
    Tough, move
    We should all reflect on the fact that HYUFD is a little as four votes* from being our PM :worried:
    Or one coup d'etat

* 1: CCA PPP selection; 2: General election; 3: MPs' vote in leadership contest; 4: Membership vote in leadership contest
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, aye, that's another dumb idea from the Government.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Unbelievable.

I'm still rolling my eyes at the plan for double jabbed having to self isolate for ten days after June 21st.
    Me too, and I probably won't get my second dose until the first week of July. Tbh, I think the whole idea of isolation can be junked as soon as all 32m in groups 1-9 have been offered both doses. The reason we want to limit the spread of the virus is to prevent people from going to hospital, if everyone in groups 1-9 have been fully immunised where are the hospitalisations going to come from?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Gove is such a massive snake. He should be sacked over this new attempt to extend lockdown without telling people affected by it or informing Parliament in advance.

Can Scotland take him back, please?

He's even less popular there than Mr Johnson. So, sorry, no.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who knows the words to Land of Hope and Glory? It's a decent enough tune but I have no idea what it's lyrics are beyond the title. Jerusalem and the Welsh song are the only decent national anthem contenders really, the others are all crap although Rule Britannia is the only one I actively hate.
    I know the words.

Something something nah nah nah nah nah Laaaand of Hoe-ope and glorrrrree.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    British pledges of allegiance for British Schoolchildren.

They very nearly did.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited May 2021

Fishing said:

Dura_Ace said:

Too bad as it's the one I like the most, especially its tune and its anti-slavery message.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮
    Tough, move
    We should all reflect on the fact that HYUFD is a little as four votes* from being our PM :worried:
    Or one coup d'etat

* 1: CCA PPP selection; 2: General election; 3: MPs' vote in leadership contest; 4: Membership vote in leadership contest
    A Beefeater Putsch?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    One of them did run a consultation on mottos - which got the response it deserved:

"No mottos please, we're British"

and my favourite:

"Dipso, Fatso, Asbo, Tesco"
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

🤮🤮🤮
    Tough, move
    Or one coup d'etat

I did say I did take him seriously.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Fishing said:

Dura_Ace said:

I'm sure that could be spun as being "metaphorical" or something. Although it is amusing that those who had such a stick up their posteriors about the EU's "ever closer union" tended to fall into the same set as those that know the words to LoHaG.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,848
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not by me.
    I think you’ve pushed the facist Tory parody a bit too far this time. Roll it back or people will realise you’re not for real.
    There is nothing fascist here, it is something most of the Red Wall Tory vote would be behind
    I can assure you the average worker in the street whether north , south , east or west will mock this with the scorn and ridicule it deserves. Take your facism and shove it quite frankly. The state belongs to us not us to the state.
  • Options
    And No.10 fails to deny that PM's 'irreversible' roadmap has actually been reversed in the affected areas:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/johnson-utter-shambles-covid-hotspots-travel-curbs_uk_60acf0bee4b019ef10df31be?ev
This discussion has been closed.