Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In the betting the money goes on Starmer going before the end of next year – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,319
    For my 10,000th post, can I enquire as to if anyone in Newport did a write-in for the spoof Welsh Nude and Proud Party?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    IanB2 said:

Another Tory loss in Ryde

Is Andrew Turner still around? Knew him at Uni.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

The SNP and Green will form a pro-Indy government. But independence is not in their gift; it’s a matter for central government.

The SNP must therefore argue that there is a moral, democratic argument for another referendum.

That’s why the share is important.
    It shows that the SNP’s argument does not (quite) stack up.

It used to be said that the SNP wouldn't pursue another referendum unless polling was showing a solid majority for independence. So that they could really argue that a) they were highly likely to win and b) it was undeniably the "settled will". After the divisiveness of Brexit they wanted to aim for rather more than "50+1"
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,791
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IND gain Ryde NW from the Tories

Those Wight Tories are having a mare.
    Yes, NOC looks a certainty. Whether the motley mix of the three independent groups, greens, LibDem, and Labour can create an administration remains to be seen.
    What do the three independent groups divide over?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,696
    edited May 2021
    ydoethur said:

Finally, some sanity on schools:

https://www.tes.com/news/school-mask-rule-set-end-despite-teacher-opposition

(No, teachers are not opposed. The article is misleading to that extent. Some unions are, especially those representing cleaning staff. Why, I don’t know, as the children are trawling their masks over desks, touching them and then chairs, dropping them on the floor...)

According to the Guardian, Teachers Unions were amongst signatories to a letter to the Education Secretary demanding that masks remain compulsory. Three days ago.

Is this different from teachers being opposed, and how do they express themselves outside Unions?

Could you clarify? Thanks.

Teaching unions, scientists, public health experts and parents are calling for masks to remain compulsory in classrooms in England to protect children and their families and reduce the risk of a third wave of Covid-19.

In a letter to the education secretary, Gavin Williamson, the signatories claim current rates of vaccination are not yet sufficient to fully mitigate the impact of transmission among children on infection rates in the community. The government hopes to relax the requirement for pupils to wear face coverings in class at the next stage of the roadmap out of lockdown, due on 17 May.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/04/call-for-face-masks-to-remain-compulsory-in-england-schools-covid
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Seriously though, it does seem as though Sadiq was beatable this year if a good candidate had been found.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited May 2021
    Jezza never changes ..on CH4 News. I was right, we had popular policies....

https://youtu.be/_qJc85PFD_A
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    Solid Tory hold Shanklin Central
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Lib Dems eliminated in Wales and thrashed in Cornwall.

Sad times.

It's part of the realignment. I know they've managed to pick up odds and sods up North, but if they're going to stage any kind of meaningful revival then I think they're going to need to stick themselves up as the anti-Tory challengers in richer parts of England (principally the Home Counties and the M4 corridor) wherever Labour is notably weak, and try to benefit from the increased presence of metropolitans who have fled the capital due to Plague, the WFH revolution and ridiculous house prices.

The Scottish party still has some residual strength but, like the old post-war Liberals, they're good at grabbing hold of and keeping isolated individual constituencies, but irrelevant elsewhere.
  • Options

Superb and utterly withering analysis by Labour MP Khalid Mahmood. Well worth reading:

More criticism of the Labour party has come in from one of its own MPs - and he doesn't hold back.

Khalid Mahmood - who was until a few weeks ago a shadow defence minister - says: "A London-based bourgeoisie, with the support of brigades of woke social media warriors, has effectively captured the party.

"They mean well, of course, but their politics – obsessed with identity, division and even tech utopianism – have more in common with those of Californian high society than the kind of people who voted in Hartlepool yesterday.

"The loudest voices in the Labour movement over the past year in particular have focused more on pulling down Churchill’s statue than they have on helping people pull themselves up in the world.

"A bit of superficial flag-waving – reinforced by urgent memos from party HQ – isn’t going to fix that.

"We fix that by supporting jobs in these so-called left behind areas – with changes to public procurement, for example, that bring jobs back to the UK and support manufacturing jobs, including those in high tech, advanced manufacturing."

Source: BBC News

That would bring me back to the party I last voted for about 40 years ago.

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,975
    The hypocrisy from the Tories is quite something . If the SNP and Greens have a majority then that’s a mandate for a referendum and they would combined have a greater share of the vote than the Tories at Westminster .
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Seriously though, it does seem as though Sadiq was beatable this year if a good candidate had been found.

There was a theory that the Tories were fully relaxed about not doing well in London because of the message Labour being "the London Party" played with the rest of the country.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

The SNP and Green will form a pro-Indy government. But independence is not in their gift; it’s a matter for central government.

The SNP must therefore argue that there is a moral, democratic argument for another referendum.

It used to be said that the SNP wouldn't pursue another referendum unless polling was showing a solid majority for independence. So that they could really argue that a) they were highly likely to win and b) it was undeniably the "settled will". After the divisiveness of Brexit they wanted to aim for rather more than "50+1"
    "Consistently above 60%" was the line, IIRC.

Dropped now, for some reason or other....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Ah, Rory Stewart. What might have been...
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Con + Lab + LD = 50% in Scotland in the constituencies declared so far.

Yes, on constituency vote SNP and Greens only on 48% combined at the moment
    Yes, but lots of SLAB voters are pro-indy anyway, so that isn't a very useful calculation.
    Don’t criticise HYUFD while he’s moving the goalposts.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    MaxPB said:

If Boris Johnson hadn't kicked out Rory Stewart then Stewart would have had a chance of beating Khan.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,874
    MaxPB said:

He is utterly useless.
    It has warmed my cockles to see him (relatively) humbled.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

My old boss knew him at uni as well. No, he is retired and under something of a cloud.
  • Options
    OGH Tweets:

• Options

MaxPB said:

If Boris Johnson hadn't kicked out Rory Stewart then Stewart would have had a chance of beating Khan.
    Not unless he got round those London bedrooms as fast as Santa
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,472

MaxPB said:

Yes. I agree. Khan is the worst mayor in the history of the job. Rory would have had a chance

Boris is the total Victor of the Moment.

He should reach out and extend the bent twig of reconciliation to some of the more palatable Tory refuseniks
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    alex_ said:

Perhaps the SNP can focus sorting out some of their other issues - drug deaths and education being a few. Might set them up well at the next election if seen to be making some progress.

That said - the longer is takes, the further the UK drifts away from the EU regulatory orbit..
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    nico679 said:

The hypocrisy from the Tories is quite something . If the SNP and Greens have a majority then that’s a mandate for a referendum and they would combined have a greater share of the vote than the Tories at Westminster .

No one wants to call a referendum if they’re likely to lose if.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

He should run in 2024 as the Tory candidate. Would send Sadiq packing or running back to Westminster.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,505
    nico679 said:

It’s unsurprising. It’s politics. But the SNP not winning a majority (if that is what transpires) gives Johnson the fig leaf he needs to say no. Posters have very articulately explained on here the reasons why that position is logically unsound, but it doesn’t matter. The narrative will be - SNP misses out on majority. That gives the UK government what they need for the rest of the Parliament.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

He is utterly useless.
    Yes, there must be a lot of regret for London Tories not to have put up a better candidate and beaten Sadiq. Bailey is such a numpty and a racist.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

IMPORTANT NEWS

John Curtis: Tories holding Eastwood means the chances of an SNP majority have significant declined.

If the SNP fail to win an outright majority then I think that might be curtains for indyref2.
    Greens also have it in their manifesto.
    SNP + Green + Alba combined list voteshare is 48%, Conservative, Labour and LD combined voteshare on the list is 49%
    What does vote share matter? Seats are what count and they're heading towards 80 seats between them.
    So far, at least, pro-Indy vote share is down against 16. If that holds, that puts several holes in the idea that the settled “will of the people” is for Indy.
    What does it matter? Nicola won't call a referendum if she isn't likely to win it and if she does, then there's nothing to fear.

It's crazy.
    So can the UK Gov organise a Sindy 2 Referendum without consent from Holyrood?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Andy_JS said:

Shaun Bailey has gained both Ealing&Hillingdon and Brent&Harrow on first preferences. Khan ahead after second preferences.

are eliminations done at a regional level, or are they just presuming that Khan & Bailey both make the final 2 London wide?

I get they clear will, but it seems uncomfortable for the RO to release partial results which contain assumptions about who wins.
  • Options

Salmond conceding on BBC1 Scotland. It might actually be the end of his political career, finally. Talk about a long goodbye.

All it needs now is the inevitable Kirsty Wark hatchet job.
  • Options
    Vectis (ex UKIP) gain Wootton from Con
  • Options
    Bundle recount in Ventnor
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,319
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1390758683550916609

"George Galloway (not Lab) even-handedly blames Blair and Corbyn for destroying Labour"

The perfect solution for BJO, Jezziah etc - reinstate gorgeous George. Charismatic, Scottish, authentic. Would absolutely attract votes from middle class English people.
  • Options
    Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    edited May 2021
    alex_ said:

Yep. I'm sorry but this would be a failure for independence and a relative win for unionists throughout the UK.

I don't have an axe to grind on this. I couldn't care a less about the union. In fact I think it's a bit daft but the fact remains that if the Scots wanted independence they would have voted the SNP in with an outright majority. They haven't.

I can't see a future for Indyref2. Westminster have every right with this result to ignore it.
  • Options

Sad times.

It's part of the realignment. I know they've managed to pick up odds and sods up North, but if they're going to stage any kind of meaningful revival then I think they're going to need to stick themselves up as the anti-Tory challengers in richer parts of England (principally the Home Counties and the M4 corridor) wherever Labour is notably weak, and try to benefit from the increased presence of metropolitans who have fled the capital due to Plague, the WFH revolution and ridiculous house prices.

The Scottish party still has some residual strength but, like the old post-war Liberals, they're good at grabbing hold of and keeping isolated individual constituencies, but irrelevant elsewhere.
    The romantic in me hates to see the Libs finally expelled from Wales after 280 years.

But times move on.

There seems to be three Lib Dem parties now.
    1. Anti-Tory in the South East and South West.
    2. Defender of various Scottish redoubts.
    3. The non-barking party in NI where they are called “the Alliance”.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

He should run in 2024 as the Tory candidate. Would send Sadiq packing or running back to Westminster.
    Sadiq can't run for a third term.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

Sad times.

To be fair, that's pretty much what the LDs have done. They made good gains in Surrey, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Kent... basically anywhere near to London.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I don’t think it does the Tories any harm having Sadiq running London. Quite the opposite in fact.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    These are early numbers from London - much of East London not yet included so I'd expect Khan's advantage over Bailey to increase tomorrow.

Final score from Surrey - CON 47, Non-Conservative 34. Sting in the tail for the LDs with their Group leader ousted in Caterham Hill by less than 100 votes.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,895
    rcs1000 said:

Sad times.

To be fair, that's pretty much what the LDs have done. They made good gains in Surrey, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Kent... basically anywhere near to London.
    Oxfordshire still to come as well. They're in a prime position to become the opposition in a lot of England.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,307

Yeah, so popular he shipped an 80 seat majority to Johnson.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IND gain Ryde NW from the Tories

Those Wight Tories are having a mare.
    Yes, NOC looks a certainty. Whether the motley mix of the three independent groups, greens, LibDem, and Labour can create an administration remains to be seen.
    What do the three independent groups divide over?
    I think it’s mainly personalities, three would be leaders each with their own followers.

Looks to me as if Tories are only going to be one short, maybe two, meaning they might do a deal with the ex UKIP person or pick off an independent. The centre and left councillors are split between six groupings and an administration could need all of them.
  • Options
    Glass half full:

It’s possible that things could get worse for Labour:

- Greens surge as climate salience rises and the left splits.
    - Tories go on pre-election spending/tax cut blitz.
    - Modest Tory recovery in London? (Bailey has gained constituencies from Khan).

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1390761879086239749?s=20

I'd say number 2 is nailed on.....
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I didn't know the Mayor had term limits. Why did Ken run again in 2008 then?
  • Options
    I have been conversing with King Arthur about a possible counter-attack next week.
  • Options

Can anyone discern a pattern in Scotland?

Increased turnout marginally benefitting Unionist side, Tories nobly sacrificing themselves in constituencies to save the precious Union. Labour doing the same half-heartedly and the LibDems jumping up and down shouting ‘remember us!’
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Why not? There is no legal reason I'm aware of - remember Boris beat Ken Livingstone in 2008.
  • Options

Yeah, so popular he shipped an 80 seat majority to Johnson.
    Looks like Starmer would put that into triple figures.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Island Tories now speculating that they may have lost control of the county.

The count is held up because a batch of postal votes was put in the box for the wrong ward. Council is suggesting all 39 wards may need to be recounted, which to me (I am not actually there) seems an overreaction.

Just keep those island line railway extensions coming.

I'd vote for anyone who delivered on Newport/Ventnor.

Anyone.
    I was discussing the possible Ventnor extension just last week. We are keen to see it happen, but there are some technical issues as well as the minor issue of funding
    Send me a message. I'm a civil engineer and I do railways - major project/programme management.

(PS. yes, we've been dicks to each other in the past but let's ignore that: this is more important)
    We’re expecting a feasibility study to go to Parliament from Ian Birch any day now. Once we see that - assuming it’s made public - we’ll have a better idea where things stand.
    (1) Need to relocate Ventnor industrial estate somewhere else
    (2) Wroxall - a few gardens, and maybe a couple of houses, need totalling (won't be popular)
    (3) Need some sort of connectivity shuttle down from Ventnor to town centre/bay

I think the water pipes in the tunnel are something that can be accommodatedbut I haven't seen the detailed dimensions. I think the bridge over the road at Shanklin and reshuffling of access to Lower Hyde holiday park should be able to be done.

£60-£80m project. Possibly a bit more with optimism bias.
    Which is a lot for a town of population fewer than 5,000

There’s a local guy who thinks a water-powered funicular could be built up the hill. Doesn’t sound likely to me.

Losing the Tory council to tap the Tory government for pork is probably a setback for an already unlikely project , if that is what has happened.
    Probably, but there's still the Tory held Westminster seat.

The case for Isle of Wight railways run on peak summer loading, the social and congestion case, and their absolute charm.

I'd argue Ventnor has certainly suffered since the 60s without it, and definitely would benefit from it.

The marketing for IoW (and its railways) in general is utter shite. So many people in London and the home counties don't know you can wizz down there for an amazing weekend by the sea with great seafood in, like, less than 2 hours.
    For sure. And the town would certainly benefit considerably. The MP is championing the project, and as Tories go I have known far worse, despite the rumours that he only pretends to live on the island.

We are due to get new ex Metropolitan Line rolling stock, to replace our current 1938 vintage carriages, originally targeted for March, then May, now some time in the summer. But I hear the carriages we have coming have very few spare parts, so another fiasco may be in the offing once they start to wear out.

What is the plan to do with the old carriages

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893

alex_ said:

Yep. I'm sorry but this would be a failure for independence and a relative win for unionists throughout the UK.

I don't have an axe to grind on this. I couldn't care a less about the union. In fact I think it's a bit daft but the fact remains that if the Scots wanted independence they would have voted the SNP in with an outright majority. They haven't.

I can't see a future for Indyref2. Westminster have every right with this result to ignore it.
    Greens also have to be included - it's in their manifesto.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534
    Excellent news coming out of Scotland.

Unionist DE-FENCE.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    rcs1000 said:

Sad times.

Yes, I saw a pretty solid performance was achieved in southern Cambridgeshire. I'm somewhat interested to see what's happened down here in Hertfordshire (the Parliamentary seat in St Albans went yellow in 2019, and up here in the North they've been making some progress and we're also one of the few district in Eastern England that voted Remain,) but the county isn't counting until tomorrow and the district's not bothering until Sunday.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

alex_ said:

My thought is that the the Scottish have decided that the tendency in Westminster whilst Independence appears to be a live issue is to shower them with cash and growing powers. Which explains why they keep it a live issue, but don't push it too far. What will be interesting is if somebody at Westminster at some point decides to push back.

And for their part, it suits the SNP for Westminster to be able to have reasons to deny further referendums.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,548
    edited May 2021
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Not unless he got round those London bedrooms as fast as Santa
    I'm sure the Prime Minister would have been happy to help with some of the bedrooms.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Leon said:

Is this...... the real JackW??

Gawd bless you, Sir

The one and only .... :sunglasses:
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

IMPORTANT NEWS

John Curtis: Tories holding Eastwood means the chances of an SNP majority have significant declined.

If the SNP fail to win an outright majority then I think that might be curtains for indyref2.
    Greens also have it in their manifesto.
    So the losers get to decide who won and what the (booby) prize is?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

alex_ said:

Greens also have to be included - it's in their manifesto.
    Nah this isn't going to cut ice in Westminster.

You want a national Scotland? You should have given your nationalist party an outright majority.

The SNP did very well but not well enough and that's in part because more people in Scotland wish to remain in the union than wish to leave it.

There is now no moral or legal reason for Westminster to pass legislation for a second independence referendum.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534
    MaxPB said:

Maybe the news coming out of these elections from all voters (to Starmer, Sadiq, Sturgeon and some Tory councils) is don't take the piss?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Unionists arguing that vote share matters and seats won don't matter sound like Corbynistas trying to justify why losing an election is winning one.

When did Corbyn Labour get anything like the combined 52% for Unionist parties on the constituency vote and 49% on the list?

The SNP may also fail to get a majority too
    As you are pathologically dumb I will remind you that it doesn't matter if the SNP get a majority as the Green Party have also run on a manifesto of independence.

There are more than one party running who want independence. I absolutely expect a swing between SNP and Green on the list where (to use the NE as an example) 45% voted SNP for zero seats. Why do both votes SNP up here when its the Greens who can win seats for independence on the list not the SNP.
    No I'm sorry but this isn't acceptable.

The Greens are a UK national party who campaign on multiple issues. Scottish independence is a very small part of their agenda. You cannot extrapolate a minor note in their manifesto as proof of a cast-iron support for independence.

The contrast with the SNP should be obvious. Their entire raison d'etre is in the name: they are a Scottish nationalist party. They exist for an independent Scotland.

No outright SNP majority will mean no mandate (legal or moral) for another independence referendum. Westminster unionists can legitimately refuse another referendum if the SNP haven't won an outright majority.
    The Greens are a separate Party in each of EW, S and NI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Party_of_England_and_Wales
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    I assume that Alba will be disbanded by Sunday.

Alex 'RT' Salmond can then go back to the day job.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The count is held up because a batch of postal votes was put in the box for the wrong ward. Council is suggesting all 39 wards may need to be recounted, which to me (I am not actually there) seems an overreaction.

Anyone.
    I was discussing the possible Ventnor extension just last week. We are keen to see it happen, but there are some technical issues as well as the minor issue of funding
    Send me a message. I'm a civil engineer and I do railways - major project/programme management.

(PS. yes, we've been dicks to each other in the past but let's ignore that: this is more important)
    We’re expecting a feasibility study to go to Parliament from Ian Birch any day now. Once we see that - assuming it’s made public - we’ll have a better idea where things stand.
    (2) Wroxall - a few gardens, and maybe a couple of houses, need totalling (won't be popular)

I think the water pipes in the tunnel are something that can be accommodatedbut I haven't seen the detailed dimensions. I think the bridge over the road at Shanklin and reshuffling of access to Lower Hyde holiday park should be able to be done.

There’s a local guy who thinks a water-powered funicular could be built up the hill. Doesn’t sound likely to me.

Losing the Tory council to tap the Tory government for pork is probably a setback for an already unlikely project , if that is what has happened.

The case for Isle of Wight railways run on peak summer loading, the social and congestion case, and their absolute charm.

I'd argue Ventnor has certainly suffered since the 60s without it, and definitely would benefit from it.

The marketing for IoW (and its railways) in general is utter shite. So many people in London and the home counties don't know you can wizz down there for an amazing weekend by the sea with great seafood in, like, less than 2 hours.
    For sure. And the town would certainly benefit considerably. The MP is championing the project, and as Tories go I have known far worse, despite the rumours that he only pretends to live on the island.

We are due to get new ex Metropolitan Line rolling stock, to replace our current 1938 vintage carriages, originally targeted for March, then May, now some time in the summer. But I hear the carriages we have coming have very few spare parts, so another fiasco may be in the offing once they start to wear out.

What is the plan to do with the old carriages

We sold them to some gullible newly elected town councillor and they’ll be running between Epping and Ongar

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/19199400.photos-swrs-old-island-line-trains-leave-isle-wight/
  • Options
    Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    5m
    Edinburgh Central (Lothian) List Vote:

SNP ~ 12476 (29.9%, +3.6)
    Con ~ 9766 (23.4%, -5.7)
    Green ~ 7604 (18.2%, +1.2)
    Lab ~ 6866 (16.4%, -0.8)
    LD ~ 3075 (7.4%, +1.4)
    Alba ~ 639 (1.5%, +1.5)
    AFU ~ 279 (0.7%, +0.7)
    Others ~ 1071 (2.6%, -1.9)

Not what one might expect - especially for SNP and Green.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Good grief. Newcastle 3-0 over Leicester.

Pulses at West Ham and Tottenham will be rising.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

He is utterly useless.
    Yes, there must be a lot of regret for London Tories not to have put up a better candidate and beaten Sadiq. Bailey is such a numpty and a racist.
    They sacrificed the London mayoralty on the altar of Brexit. They knew it and that’s why they didn’t try. Though this is suggesting they should’ve tried harder.

Glass half full:

They’ve seen how things like the free port delivered a result to Houchen that United Russia would dream of. Those ex red wall constituencies are going to get oodles of goodies landing on their doorstep in the coming years.....
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,901
    sarissa said:

Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:

Philip Sim
    @BBCPhilipSim
    ·
    6m
    Angus Robertson has taken Edinburgh Central for the SNP with an 11.3% majority. Now that definitely is a big win for the SNP - no list seats in the area, so it's a net gain no matter what happens in the region

Philip Sim
    @BBCPhilipSim
    Replying to
    @BBCPhilipSim
    SNP still edging steadily closer to that majority. Still winning the seats they need to win, without losing any constituencies of their own. If (*if*) Dumbarton and Aberdeenshire West go the same way, then they can pretty much take the ball home tonight

Tory vote held up reasonably well given Ruth Davidson's departure. Big drop in the Green vote, going to the SNP.
    Check your calculator- SGP are only 700 votes down on 2016. SCON will still be happy with the effect of their tactical voting in Ed Western and Southern.
    I was talking about percentages, given by the BBC.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Is an SNP + Green majority nailed on?
    And did the Greens have a clear commitment to a referendum in their manifesto?
  • Options
    On the other hand, it's not good for Spurs that Leicester will have 4000 of their own fans in for the final game of the season against them.

Still the CL places are now really open.
  • Options
    Up to a point, Lord Copper:

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    Sean_F said:

nico679 said:

No one wants to call a referendum if they’re likely to lose if.
    Except for Nick Clegg
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Havering & Redbridge, mayoral election:

Bailey: 82,361 +
    Khan: 49,818 +

(awaiting second preferences)

https://www.londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/election-results/results-2021/watch-live-results
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

I assume that Alba will be disbanded by Sunday.

Alex 'RT' Salmond can then go back to the day job.

The two Alba defectors in the House of Commons will have been a party group for less time than Change UK if that happens, and who remembers them?
  • Options

Good grief. Newcastle 3-0 over Leicester.

Pulses at West Ham and Tottenham will be rising.

Shocking defending, but weak up front too, just like last seasons end. No way are we winning the FA Cup.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Anyone.

Not quite they are old D78 District line trains see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_D78_Stock#Withdrawal sorry and yes I know this is incredibly sad but I did a search and immediately thought hang on they aren't the trains I commuted on from Amersham to Aldgate for years (yes I did always have a seat).

Although that does feel very much like a Sunil post
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,237
    sarissa said:

Can anyone discern a pattern in Scotland?

Increased turnout marginally benefitting Unionist side, Tories nobly sacrificing themselves in constituencies to save the precious Union. Labour doing the same half-heartedly and the LibDems jumping up and down shouting ‘remember us!’
    In East Lothian, the Tories didn't get that message.
  • Options

Na. The national being the national
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,986
    So not having seen the news for 12 hours, what's the single most surprising result?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Final IOW - Tory 18, Ind 13, 2 and 1, Green 2, Labour 1, ex UKIP 1, LibDem 1

Tory lose to NOC
  • Options

https://greens.scot/our-future/independence-and-scotland-s-future
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    What's happening in Suffolk? Six green gains and two holds.
  • Options
    I'd forgotten there were some Alba MPs. Oops.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So not having seen the news for 12 hours, what's the single most surprising result?

Leanne Wood.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

AN INDEPENDENCE REFERENDUM SHOULD BE HELD DURING THE NEXT PARLIAMENTARY SESSION

The legislation covering all aspects of the referendum, including the question and the timing, should be decided by a simple majority of the Scottish Parliament. The Scottish Greens will campaign and vote for a referendum within the next Parliamentary term and under the terms of the Referendums Act (2020). We believe that the UK Government’s refusal to respect a pro-independence majority in the Scottish Parliament would not be politically sustainable and could be subject to legal challenge.
  • Options

Who reads that shite?
    It’s like one of those publications they take the piss out of on HIGNFY.
  • Options

They seem to be working from a bar chart as created by our Lib Dem supporting GH...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited May 2021
    Carnyx said:

Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    5m
    Edinburgh Central (Lothian) List Vote:

SNP ~ 12476 (29.9%, +3.6)
    Con ~ 9766 (23.4%, -5.7)
    Green ~ 7604 (18.2%, +1.2)
    Lab ~ 6866 (16.4%, -0.8)
    LD ~ 3075 (7.4%, +1.4)
    Alba ~ 639 (1.5%, +1.5)
    AFU ~ 279 (0.7%, +0.7)
    Others ~ 1071 (2.6%, -1.9)

Not what one might expect - especially for SNP and Green.

Ed Southern

Labour ~ 11128 (24.5%, +2.6)
    SNP ~ 11053 (24.3%, +1.1)
    Con ~ 9357 (20.6%, -8.6)
    Grn ~ 8605 (18.9%, +2.1)
    LD ~ 3373 (7.4%, +2.3)
    Alba ~ 611 (1.3%, +1.3)
    AFU ~ 250 (0.6%, +0.6)
    Others ~ 1050 (2.3%, -1.4)

Very interesting what's happening on the list in Edinburgh.
  • Options
    BBC projection:

Con 327
    Lab 226
    LD 24
    Others 73
  • Options
    So this is a stunning endorsement of lockdowns.

That's the correct hot take on these elections, right?
  • Options
    BBC local government projections for Parliament doing it's usual weird job.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The legislation covering all aspects of the referendum, including the question and the timing, should be decided by a simple majority of the Scottish Parliament. The Scottish Greens will campaign and vote for a referendum within the next Parliamentary term and under the terms of the Referendums Act (2020). We believe that the UK Government’s refusal to respect a pro-independence majority in the Scottish Parliament would not be politically sustainable and could be subject to legal challenge.
    The parliament is similar in make up to the last.

Indy vote didn’t happen then. So what’s changed? The only thing I can see is pressure on Sturgeon to press on regardless...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,411
    Andy_JS said:

Havering & Redbridge, mayoral election:

Bailey: 82,361 +
    Khan: 49,818 +

(awaiting second preferences)

https://www.londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/election-results/results-2021/watch-live-results

Interesting! I didn't vote in the end, mostly due to Covid concerns (unfounded, natch), but I wish I had now :lol:
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited May 2021
    Andy_JS said:

BBC projection:

Con 327
    Lab 226
    LD 24
    Others 73

Wait is that for a GE?

No I'm stupid
  • Options

Alistair said:

The parliament is similar in make up to the last.

Indy vote didn’t happen then. So what’s changed? The only thing I can see is pressure on Sturgeon to press on regardless...
    This coronavirus thing. Also this Brexit thing.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Andy_JS said:

Shaun Bailey has gained both Ealing&Hillingdon and Brent&Harrow on first preferences. Khan ahead after second preferences.

are eliminations done at a regional level, or are they just presuming that Khan & Bailey both make the final 2 London wide?

I get they clear will, but it seems uncomfortable for the RO to release partial results which contain assumptions about who wins.
    Neither AFAIK. The full results for all candidates, 1st and 2nd prefs, go through to the final London-wide result.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

He is utterly useless.
    They sacrificed the London mayoralty on the altar of Brexit. They knew it and that’s why they didn’t try. Though this is suggesting they should’ve tried harder.

Glass half full:

They’ve seen how things like the free port delivered a result to Houchen that United Russia would dream of. Those ex red wall constituencies are going to get oodles of goodies landing on their doorstep in the coming years.....
    That's what Tees Valley voted for - now Boris needs to delivery or like Redcar back in 2015 - those votes will return back to Labour...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

BBC projection:

Con 327
    Lab 226
    LD 24
    Others 73

LIB DEMS WINNING HERE
This discussion has been closed.