Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Friends, countrymen, lend me your Keirs, this is going to be a long night but who does this higher t

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Sky talking about Shadow Cabinet resignations . . .

Ouch
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2021

I do wonder how disadvantaged Labour are by the fact only oldies are fully vaccinated. How many people thought I might just give that trip to the polling station a miss and hadn't organized a postal vote.

It isn't just that. The under 30s are just not going to be voting full stop. Like I said earlier, almost all of my friends haven't bothered to vote and most of them are Labour or Lib Dem supporters.

To be honest the results are better than I expected so far.
    Because?
    Because what?
    Not bothering to vote. General apathy, its locals nobody gives a shit, the direction of the Labour / Lib Dem parties?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,166
    Chameleon said:

I do wonder how disadvantaged Labour are by the fact only oldies are fully vaccinated. How many people thought I might just give that trip to the polling station a miss and hadn't organized a postal vote.

It isn't just that. The under 30s are just not going to be voting full stop. Like I said earlier, almost all of my friends haven't bothered to vote and most of them are Labour or Lib Dem supporters.

Because?
    Starmer and Davey hardly get the juices flowing.
    Davey visited Sunderland during the campaign.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

Why aren't there any numbers on Sky/BBC yet? Tons of results posted on here, surely these can be fed into a model to do some wild projections.

They don't usually do projections for local elections, just the results themselves.
    Where's the fun in that? :p
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Leon said:

Brom said:

Has any opposition leader had a poor first election and gone on to win a general election? I believe Thatcher, Blair and Cameron all did rather well (and I can’t be arsed to trawl further back than that).

I would imagine it’s an ominous sign, if you’re associated with being a loser early on it becomes hard to shake that label.

They might have to go the full Angela Rayner. Provincial working class giantess.

If that doesn’t work, disband
    Replacing the MP for Islington with a London Lawyer may not have been the smartest move.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,604
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Tory share up 45% in South Blyth. Last time they lose by one vote after drawing lots.

The share was up 45%, or it is now at 45%? If the former, blimey.
    Up 45%, from 29% to 74%.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Because?
    Because what?
    Not bothering to vote. General apathy, its locals nobody gives a shit, the direction of the Labour / Lib Dem parties?
    They don't care about the local council or the PCC
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,964

Hartley (Northumberland)

Susan Elizabeth Dungworth (LAB & CO-OP) - 868
    David Ferguson (CON) - 869
    Anita Cynthia Romer (LD) 105

CON GAIN (by 1 vote)

Labour group leader gone. And defeated Blyth Valley GE candidate.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    South Tyneside halfway

8 Lab
    1 Con
    1 Green

10 to declared
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

Starmer deserves to take a great deal of flak for Hartlepool - a by election that did not need to be held at all at this time. It also reflects badly on the Chief Whip and Regional Party Officers who surely provided advice. It does not augur well for his political psephological nous. Of course, the poor results in Sunderland were going to happen anyway.

He couldn't have moved it by that much, so I doubt it makes that much difference.
    The MP did not have to resign at all! All Starmer could do in terms of leverage was to threaten removal of the Whip , but he could have still sat as an Independent - just like Corbyn. The MP would have done Labour a favour by simply ignoring Starmer. The loss of Hartlepool is a self inflicted wound.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Leon said:

Brom said:

Has any opposition leader had a poor first election and gone on to win a general election? I believe Thatcher, Blair and Cameron all did rather well (and I can’t be arsed to trawl further back than that).

I would imagine it’s an ominous sign, if you’re associated with being a loser early on it becomes hard to shake that label.

They might have to go the full Angela Rayner. Provincial working class giantess.

They need someone who gets the modern provincial working class. Starmer seems to have a caricature in his head from the 1970s.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Chameleon said:

Because?
    Starmer and Davey hardly get the juices flowing.
    Davey visited Sunderland during the campaign.
    Interestingly the Lib Dems have failed to take any of their target wards in Newcastle thus far
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,146
    ‘Talk that a couple of shadow cabinet members are threatening to announce they are resigning over Lab local election campaign.’

Threatening to announce...

https://twitter.com/lmharpin/status/1390458333929394176?s=21
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

Starmer deserves to take a great deal of flak for Hartlepool - a by election that did not need to be held at all at this time. It also reflects badly on the Chief Whip and Regional Party Officers who surely provided advice. It does not augur well for his political psephological nous. Of course, the poor results in Sunderland were going to happen anyway.

He couldn't have moved it by that much, so I doubt it makes that much difference.
    The MP did not have to resign at all! All Starmer could do in terms of leverage was to threaten removal of the Whip , but he could have still sat as an Independent - just like Corbyn. The MP would have done Labour a favour by simply ignoring Starmer. The loss of Hartlepool is a self inflicted wound.
    Perhaps the MP had a shred of honour and decided to resign given the charges he faced?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Hartley (Northumberland)

CON GAIN (by 1 vote)

Labour group leader gone. And defeated Blyth Valley GE candidate.
    Ms Ronnie Campbell ousted too
  • Options

Leon said:

Brom said:

Replacing the MP for Islington with a London Lawyer may not have been the smartest move.
    The fact he is a "sir" probably not a great help
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    kle4 said:

Cramlington East

Scott Lee (IND) - 420
    Maureen Levy (CON) - 188
    Ian Carr Fry Swithenbank (LAB) - 386

IND GAIN

That's a shame, as Swithenbank is a name deserving of victory.
    Cramlington used to be part of my patch in 1969 when I was Blyth district reporter for the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Hartley (Northumberland)

CON GAIN (by 1 vote)

Blyth Valley Lab GE candidate loses also her council seat
    And she only lost Blyth Valley by 700 votes. From MP aspirations to no place on the council in 18 months. Poor Susan Dungsworth, she must be feeling like, err, shit.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    justin124 said:

An utterly disastrous candidate - a second referendumer. In Hartlepool.

The Tories could have barely hand-picked a candidate they would rather face.

And bear in mind, the Tory candidate was roundly condemned as a shit choice too. Just - not quite as shit.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Perhaps they could try an hereditary peer next?
  • Options
    At least Labour can cheer themselves up when Khan wins easily in London.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    justin124 said:

Another way of looking at it, if they knew they would probably loos anyway, then better to get it out of the way now, when it will be mixed in with other bad news, and possibly be overshadowed by results in Scotland.
  • Options

Leon said:

Brom said:

They need someone who gets the modern provincial working class. Starmer seems to have a caricature in his head from the 1970s.
    Lisa Nandy. Should have done it last time...
    Was on her at 100-1. Fools.
  • Options

Leon said:

Brom said:

Yes exactly. I think a white provincial working class woman like Rayner could work well. She’s not to everyone’s taste, but nor is Boris, and he’s doing OK

It is the obvious next move. After that, I run out of potential moves for Labour

Without Scotland, perhaps they are simply finished
  • Options

justin124 said:

And bear in mind, the Tory candidate was roundly condemned as a shit choice too. Just - not quite as shit.
    Yeah, it makes Labour look a bit out of touch parachuting an arch-remainer into one of the most leave voting seats in the country.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    RobD said:

Floater said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

LOL
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

Yeah, it makes Labour look a bit out of touch parachuting an arch-remainer into one of the most leave voting seats in the country.
    I don't think it would have made a difference
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985
    Leon said:

Pro Tory swings in the south

Portishead East (North Somerset) council result:

PtsInd: 40.3% (-29.7)
    Con: 32.1% (+15.0)
    LDem: 16.1% (+16.1)
    Lab: 11.5% (+3.4)

Portishead Independents HOLD
    More:

Sour times for the Portishead Independents spreading its glory box widely there.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,604

At least Labour can cheer themselves up when Khan wins easily in London.

It'll be funny if Khan loses to Fox.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

The by election could easily have been deferred until October/ November - possibly into 2022. The vacination Bounce is likely to be long gone by that time.
  • Options

RobD said:

justin124 said:

I don't think it would have made a difference
    We'll never know of course. But it does look a bit odd. He even went as far as purging his twitter history just before he was officially selected.
  • Options
    Con a distant fourth in leafy South Gosforth. The split between the middle class areas in the major cities and elsewhere is stark.

Dene and South Gosforth:
    Nick Arnold (LAB) - 1177
    Anna Foster (GRN) - 509
    Gerry Langley (CON) - 475
    Karen Robinson (LD) - 1777
    LD HOLD
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    RobD said:

Floater said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Didn't one of the Benns seek to revive their title?

You can hold one and sit in the Commons now of course.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

I preferred Nandy, felt she was more in tune with the WWC than SKS and had a better understanding of where Labour previously went wrong. Her recent flirting with a couple of ultra woke causes should be grounds for concern though.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Noooooo. Not Nandy. She’s woke middle class. She’s Starmer in a skirt. Obsessed with trans insanity

Seriously. She’s never going to win a GE
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited May 2021
    Sky / BBC also only report Council seats when every seat in the Council has declared.
  • Options
    Despite writing the LibDems off earlier this evening, they seem to be having an OK night - albeit entirely at Labour's expense.
  • Options
    Your frequent reminder we 've had one ward outwith the NE so far. Before Kier jacks it in. And everybody and their dog up here was predicting this. I'm with Gallowgate. This ain't half as bad as I thought. Even going forward in Central Newcastle.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Noooooo. Not Nandy. She’s woke middle class. She’s Starmer in a skirt. Obsessed with trans insanity

No she isn't.

She's unapologetically woke but she also appreciates that other people hold different views, and that's okay.

At least that's how she portrayed herself when I heard her speak in Newcastle. She really got it, and hence why I voted for her over Starmer.
  • Options

justin124 said:

It was - at the very least - utterly tone deaf.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886

Con a distant fourth in leafy South Gosforth. The split between the middle class areas in the major cities and elsewhere is stark.

Dene and South Gosforth:
    Nick Arnold (LAB) - 1177
    Anna Foster (GRN) - 509
    LD HOLD

Are these middle class areas mostly public sector workers? Teachers / NHS / Council staff / University ?
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Leon said:

Brom said:

I don't think that is Rayner. She is Manchester through and through. Perhaps Nandy? I still can't get over the fact that Leigh gas a Tory MP.
  • Options
    CursingStoneCursingStone Posts: 421

If the results continue like this then Boris is going to be walking on water.

That’s an understatement. Normally you get a swing right across the country, with the odd exceptions. Are we going to see massive swings in the midlands and the NE but the rest of the country Labour holds its own and the Libs eat into the tories.

The results so far are utterly devastating for labour.
  • Options
    Newsham (Northumberland) council result:

Con: 45.9% (+25.7)
    Lab: 44.9% (-4.6)
    Grn: 4.7% (+4.7)
    Ind: 4.5% (+4.5)

No UKIP (-28.0) as prev.

Con GAIN from Lab

Bloody Green Corbynistas
  • Options
    AberjeffreyAberjeffrey Posts: 20
    Leon said:

So Labour now is reduced to london. Manc. Liverpool. Bits of Wales. That’s it

Why would anyone vote for them? What are they for? What’s the point of them?

Sadly the bit of Wales I live in. What exactly does it take here? 🙄
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Caroline Flint was the only one who credibly moved from a generic centre-left Remain position to a 'get Brexit done' position, but unfortunately for them she lost her seat.
  • Options

Dene and South Gosforth:
    Nick Arnold (LAB) - 1177
    Anna Foster (GRN) - 509
    LD HOLD

"Only the LibDems can beat Labour!" still works somewhere.....
  • Options

Dene and South Gosforth:
    Nick Arnold (LAB) - 1177
    Anna Foster (GRN) - 509
    LD HOLD

Are these middle class areas mostly public sector workers? Teachers / NHS / Council staff / University ?
    Quite a few students in that ward but also doctors, lawyers, etc
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Your frequent reminder we 've had one ward outwith the NE so far. Before Kier jacks it in. And everybody and their dog up here was predicting this. I'm with Gallowgate. This ain't half as bad as I thought. Even going forward in Central Newcastle.

https://twitter.com/jonnyross05/status/1390464420787232771

There seems to be a lot of happy Tory faces in Harlow.

Could they be able to gain control for the first time since 2012
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Yes exactly. I think a white provincial working class woman like Rayner could work well. She’s not to everyone’s taste, but nor is Boris, and he’s doing OK

It is the obvious next move. After that, I run out of potential moves for Labour

But Rayner is not provincial. She is from Manchester.
  • Options

Leon said:

So Labour now is reduced to london. Manc. Liverpool. Bits of Wales. That’s it

Why would anyone vote for them? What are they for? What’s the point of them?

Sadly the bit of Wales I live in. What exactly does it take here? 🙄
    The apocalypse.
  • Options

Newsham (Northumberland) council result:

Con: 45.9% (+25.7)
    Lab: 44.9% (-4.6)
    Grn: 4.7% (+4.7)
    Ind: 4.5% (+4.5)

No UKIP (-28.0) as prev.

Con GAIN from Lab

Bloody Green Corbynistas

Ronnie Cambell's wife losing her seat there
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Floater said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Didn't one of the Benns seek to revive their title?

You can hold one and sit in the Commons now of course.
    I think it's less his receiving a gong from Her Maj that's the problem than stuff like the kneeling for BLM and all the other woke business that sticks in the craw of many traditional Labour voters.
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178
    The problem is not the leader of Labour, as I've said before, its that Labour is a fundamentally broken institution, with an appeal that is too narrow.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Everywhere not in London is provincial. Or something. It might be code for 'has an accent'.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

That's provincial compared to North London.
  • Options
    Thurrock Tories say they now expect to gain two Labour heartland wards that have never been Conservative before

https://twitter.com/wallaceme/status/1390460482855784450
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Caroline Flint was the only one who credibly moved from a generic centre-left Remain position to a 'get Brexit done' position, but unfortunately for them she lost her seat.
    Yes, it was a shame in a way that of the 3 red Doncaster seats hers was the one to go. Although a surprising amount of her constituency was/is rural (ish) and has always had blue wards on the council.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

If only they had a woman who grew up above a corner shop in Grantham.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Manchester is chock-full of North London types these days
  • Options

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

No she isn't.

She's unapologetically woke but she also appreciates that other people hold different views, and that's okay.

At least that's how she portrayed herself when I heard her speak in Newcastle. She really got it, and hence why I voted for her over Starmer.
    She makes me sneeze, allergically. She’s ultra-woke. And (despite the protests of PB) woke is growing in salience, and backlash. Hostage to fortune

Also, what does she believe?! Apart from Woke?

To be fair, this is a question which would trouble many leftwing politicians across the West
  • Options
    Floater said:

Thurrock Tories say they now expect to gain two Labour heartland wards that have never been Conservative before

Is that surprising? Isn't Thurrock Brexit-Central?
  • Options
    Nunu3 said:

The problem is not the leader of Labour, as I've said before, its that Labour is a fundamentally broken institution, with an appeal that is too narrow.

That's a problem that the leader of the Labour Party ought to be fixing.

Instead it seems his idea of leadership is saying "I'm not Corbyn and I'm not Boris, now vote for me bitches"
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited May 2021
    Floater said:

I cannot square the national polling with local polling unless the home counties/commuter belt are turning away from the Tories in the thousands.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,373

So, at 1.08 am, what do we know so far?

The voters: "Nice wallpaper, Boris...."

Yeah, but what about the cushions...
    Voters might not think Boris has sold his soul for gold wallpaper and scatter cushions but that does not mean no offences were committed. President Nixon won a landslide after Watergate.
  • Options
    Lib Dems take Doxford (Sunderland) from Labour
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Chameleon said:

Floater said:

I cannot square the national polling with local polling unless the home counties/commuter belt are turning away from the Tories in the thousands.
    I flirted Lib Dem because of Covid passports but in the end didn't vote. If anyone cares.
  • Options
    Nunu3 said:

Nah. It's that the Tories appeal is too wide.
  • Options

Leon said:

Brom said:

Yet it was so widely counselled on here.
  • Options

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

I appreciate she ‘saw the light’ but always felt it was a ‘keep Caroline Flint in a job’ position. But hey at least she heard her electorate before the death knell sounded.

Going back to the 2016 referendum the Tory party having a relatively even leave/remain split of MPs was a good thing and reflective of their voters. Alarm bells should have been ringing at Lab HQ that 95% of their MPs were firmly in the remain camp. The party had drifted way too far from the views of the red wall at that point and the writing was on the wall without them realising it.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    edited May 2021
    Nunu3 said:

I'm not sure the appeal is too much of a problem but the demography is now v-unfavourable.

Is this the Cummings effect: pushing the conservatives to grasp the disenfranchised lower-middle incomes?
  • Options
    Oh god. Rayner. Why are they all like this?

‘She is an ardent supporter of Palestinian rights, condemning the killings of Palestinians during the Great March of Return and has repeatedly cited Israeli violations of human rights against Palestinians on social media. She is also a member of the Labour Friends of Palestine & the Middle East.’

JUST STFU ABOUT PALESTINE
  • Options

Leon said:

Brom said:

Yet it was so widely counselled on here.
    Not universally. But yes a few people, like OGH, were very keen on Sir Keir.

I think its a real shame that @isam isn't here at the moment. He had very good insights early on into how poor Sir Keir's (gross) approval ratings were, while people were raving about his (net) ones.

This election should put paid to the idea that net matters more than gross when there's a major discrepancy.
  • Options
    Newcastle and non-Newcastle NE are different worlds.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1390467526593757184

Cramlington South East (Northumberland) council result:

Con: 61.8% (+27.9)
    Lab: 38.2% (-4.8)

No LDem (-16.5) and UKIP (-5.2) as prev.

Con GAIN from Lab
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

‘She is an ardent supporter of Palestinian rights, condemning the killings of Palestinians during the Great March of Return and has repeatedly cited Israeli violations of human rights against Palestinians on social media. She is also a member of the Labour Friends of Palestine & the Middle East.’

Well a lot of right wingers on Twitter are obsessed with Israel, so I guess it's the same phenomenon.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

She has a remarkable back story

‘Rayner was born in Stockport, where she attended the state secondary Avondale School. She left school aged 16 whilst pregnant and without any qualifications. She later trained in social care, eventually becoming a trade union representative within Unison, during which time she joined the Labour Party. Selected to contest Ashton-under-Lyne in 2014, Rayner was elected for the seat at the 2015 general election.’

Good for her
    Good for her indeed but if Angela Rayner is elected leader, I'd give it a week before the Oxbridge-educated media hacks start sniffing that she is not up to par. Ask John Major.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Newcastle and non-Newcastle NE are different worlds.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1390467526593757184

Cramlington South East (Northumberland) council result:

Con: 61.8% (+27.9)
    Lab: 38.2% (-4.8)

No LDem (-16.5) and UKIP (-5.2) as prev.

Con GAIN from Lab

Cramlington is pretty much a commuter town for Newcastle as well
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    The Conservatives have won the first seat to be declared in the Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council elections.

The Tories have taken the previously Labour stronghold seat in the Kingswood ward in Nuneaton.

They polled 793 votes, compared to 530 for Labour, 80 for the Green Party and 32 for the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition.
  • Options
    Kingswood (Nuneaton and Bedworth) council result:

Con: 55.3% (+33.3)
    Lab: 36.9% (-12.3)
    Grn: 5.6% (+0.9)
    Oth: 2.2% (+0.6)

No UKIP (-22.5) as prev.

Con GAIN from Lab

More UKIP going direct to Con and then some.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

I pointed out the other day that a friend linked me to a load of social media for Oxford Labour Party candidates....were they talking about the level of council tax, the bins, the congestion, supporting businesses and people as we come out of the pandemic, how to ensure the universities continue to thrive, that tourists are encouraged back....nope banging on about Free Palestine and how they were going to twin Oxford with part of it as a show of solidarity.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Floater said:

Then take the national polling - and drop it in the bin......
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

She has a remarkable back story

‘Rayner was born in Stockport, where she attended the state secondary Avondale School. She left school aged 16 whilst pregnant and without any qualifications. She later trained in social care, eventually becoming a trade union representative within Unison, during which time she joined the Labour Party. Selected to contest Ashton-under-Lyne in 2014, Rayner was elected for the seat at the 2015 general election.’

Good for her
    Good for her indeed but if Angela Rayner is elected leader, I'd give it a week before the Oxbridge-educated media hacks start sniffing that she is not up to par. Ask John Major.
    Well @HYUFD has already previously stated that she's too stupid to be PM, or something to that effect.
  • Options

The Conservatives have won the first seat to be declared in the Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council elections.

The Tories have taken the previously Labour stronghold seat in the Kingswood ward in Nuneaton.

They polled 793 votes, compared to 530 for Labour, 80 for the Green Party and 32 for the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition.

In the Midlands, and could mean that Nuneaton could be another Con GAIN Council?
  • Options
    Nuneaton:

23% swing Lab to Con!
  • Options
    Rayner has a great backstory but she’s already operating at a level way above her talent. Not the only MP in that category mind. She would IMO be the worst major party leader in my lifetime.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

She is OK, but I don't listen to her and hear small town Britain. She sounds just like the city dwelling middle class activist types I know across the UK, who don't know anyone who votes Tory or voted for Brexit. The anger she shows and that of the people trying to cancel Brexit sound the same to me There is a disconnect between the evidence (votes) and their experience (twitter and friendship bubble) which means they cannot hear. This is fundamental to Labours current problems.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Nuneaton:

23% swing Lab to Con!

This is just the 2019 realignment working its way through the system.

It's simple — the white working class now vote Con, wherever they are in the country.
  • Options

Leon said:

Well a lot of right wingers on Twitter are obsessed with Israel, so I guess it's the same phenomenon.
    I know vanishingly few British right wingers ‘obsessed with Israel’ in a pro-Israeli way. Most find it boring and sad and decry Israeli heavy-handedness, even as they yearn to talk about anything else. It does not divert them for long

The left, however, seems to get a massive high from obsessing about Palestine. I guess because it combines anti-Americanism with post-colonialism and the anti-imperial struggle with - for some - a secret but heady hit of anti-semitism?

It doesn’t do them any favours. It always seems cranky
  • Options

In the Midlands, and could mean that Nuneaton could be another Con GAIN Council?
    https://twitter.com/jonnyross05/status/1390468884638142469

Hearing Conservatives are well on course to GAIN Nuneaton and Bedworth council from No Overall Control.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942

It is NOC at the moment so it is a possibility.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I know vanishingly few British right wingers ‘obsessed with Israel’ in a pro-Israeli way. Most find it boring and sad and decry Israeli heavy-handedness, even as they yearn to talk about anything else. It does not divert them for long

The left, however, seems to get a massive high from obsessing about Palestine. I guess because it combines anti-Americanism with post-colonialism and the anti-imperial struggle with - for some - a secret but heady hit of anti-semitism?

That's because you spend your time looking for woke left wingers to get angry about
  • Options
    Brom said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

I appreciate she ‘saw the light’ but always felt it was a ‘keep Caroline Flint in a job’ position. But hey at least she heard her electorate before the death knell sounded.

Going back to the 2016 referendum the Tory party having a relatively even leave/remain split of MPs was a good thing and reflective of their voters. Alarm bells should have been ringing at Lab HQ that 95% of their MPs were firmly in the remain camp. The party had drifted way too far from the views of the red wall at that point and the writing was on the wall without them realising it.
    It was partially that I think, but listening was surely a good thing. She wasn't a terrible MP.

Ed Miliband doesn't bother living in the constituency - I honestly thought he'd go in 2019. There's certainly not a lot of enthusiasm for him in the working men's clubs.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Nunu3 said:

I'm not sure the appeal is too much of a problem but the demography is now v-unfavourable.

Is this the Cummings effect: pushing the conservatives to grasp the disenfranchised lower-middle incomes?
    Part Cummings; part Boris. Broken record mode ON. Boris won in 2019 by running on Labour's 2017 platform.

So why vote Labour in 2021? More nurses? More infrastructure spending? More investment up north? You can get all those from Boris.

• Options

MikeL said:

Nuneaton:

23% swing Lab to Con!

This is just the 2019 realignment working its way through the system.

It's simple — the white working class now vote Con, wherever they are in the country.
    Well per Newsnight last night, Con has a big lead over Lab in ABs.

So put those two groups together and Con are big winners.
  • Options
    Floater said:

https://twitter.com/jonnyross05/status/1390468884638142469

Hearing Conservatives are well on course to GAIN Nuneaton and Bedworth council from No Overall Control.
    Well it was Lab 17, Con 16, Grn 1.

Its currently after the first declaration Con 17, Lab 16, Grn 1. It will only take one more to gain it.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/jonnyross05/status/1390469760782061568

Labour HOLD & Conservative GAIN Washington South (Sunderland) from Greens.

Tories fifth gain in Sunderland of the night.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Many moons ago, I remember a right wing nutter on here (Shaun?) writing eloquently about what he described as Israeli "apartheid", in a definitely non-approving manner.
This discussion has been closed.