Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

123457»

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,731
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

Woke Madness in American schools, part 3

‘William is a biracial teenager in Nevada. He lives in transitional housing with his mother, Gabrielle, who is black and disabled. William works at a local fast food restaurant to support his mother and two siblings. His father died when he was young.’

‘Last year, William took a mandatory, yearlong class called Sociology of Change in which he was asked to reveal his race, gender, religious, and sexual identities and then attach derogatory labels to those identities.’

‘Students were then asked to “undo and unlearn” their “beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors that stem from oppression.” William was understandably reluctant to label himself as “privileged” or an “oppressor.” He refused and was failed.’

https://twitter.com/bariweiss/status/1370196097918853124?s=21

Do you get this antagonised by the American right's anti science stances?

You know the Covid denying and evolution denying beliefs.
    I believe the Right's creationism stuff is wrong.

Will you condemn what is happening on the woke side in return?
    I absolutely condemn it.

But - in Los Angeles public schools - it is invisible.

Which makes me think (perhaps wrongly) that's it's probably exaggerated.
    The evidence is in. You’re wrong. Here’s a school in LA, private for sure, but I can give you plentiful proof this affects US state schools as well. The posh ones are just more newsworthy

‘In the year since Floyd’s murder, the atmosphere at this bucolic, super-exclusive, $38,000- to $45,000-a-year private LA school has only grown more poisonous, with some Brentwood alumni of color not only hurling accusations of racism but also demanding that the school completely scrap what they see as a biased curriculum. Meanwhile, parents, teachers, and administrators spent much of last summer and fall wrestling over the value of books like To Kill a Mockingbird—a civil rights classic to some; an outdated, problematic text to others—in what’s shaping up to be an epic battle over the hearts and minds of the children of America’s one percent.

To be sure, scenes like this are not occurring only at Brentwood. Similar skirmishes are breaking out at elite prep schools all over—at Harvard-Westlake, Marlborough, and Archer School for Girls in L.A. and in New York at Chapin and Dalton—making headlines across the country in publications as ideologically divergent as the New York Post and The Atlantic. But it’s worth focusing on what’s going on at this particular school off West Sunset. Because it’s here at Brentwood that all the forces arrayed in this conflict—woke alumni who want to tear the system down; teachers who’ve had a hard enough time getting through the year on Zoom, let alone dealing with paradigm shifts in educational priorities; and angry, frustrated moms and dads who just want their kids to get into good colleges—are most dramatically and publicly clashing, like those stranded boys battling each other on a deserted island in Lord of the Flies, one of the novels Brentwood struck from reading lists last year.’

https://apple.news/AK0JNXV1gRkG63EfxDQllfg
    Tbf I endured having to study Lord of the Flies at school and the sheer tedium of it still haunts me. Striking it from the reading list can only be a good thing imho.
    Not only that. But it has a terrible effect on generations believing it is how humans would behave in a state of nature.
    They don't.
    Yes, though the book is not about random humans, the characters in it are all English Public Schoolboys. I don't think it is so much about how nature drives humans to feral behaviour, so much as a cautionary tale about how English Public Schoolboys are already feral, and how extreme they could be when freed from restrictions.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    If you're feeling down, at least you don't support Falkirk.*
    Three points clear with six games to play.
    Took one point and missed the playoffs.

*Unless of course you do.
  • Options
    Just read that Hogwarts has appointed a Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher who thinks the subject is racist.

You could not make it up. These people are living in a fantasy world.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

‘William is a biracial teenager in Nevada. He lives in transitional housing with his mother, Gabrielle, who is black and disabled. William works at a local fast food restaurant to support his mother and two siblings. His father died when he was young.’

‘Last year, William took a mandatory, yearlong class called Sociology of Change in which he was asked to reveal his race, gender, religious, and sexual identities and then attach derogatory labels to those identities.’

‘Students were then asked to “undo and unlearn” their “beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors that stem from oppression.” William was understandably reluctant to label himself as “privileged” or an “oppressor.” He refused and was failed.’

I absolutely condemn it.

The evidence is in. You’re wrong. Here’s a school in LA, private for sure, but I can give you plentiful proof this affects US state schools as well. The posh ones are just more newsworthy

‘In the year since Floyd’s murder, the atmosphere at this bucolic, super-exclusive, $38,000- to $45,000-a-year private LA school has only grown more poisonous, with some Brentwood alumni of color not only hurling accusations of racism but also demanding that the school completely scrap what they see as a biased curriculum. Meanwhile, parents, teachers, and administrators spent much of last summer and fall wrestling over the value of books like To Kill a Mockingbird—a civil rights classic to some; an outdated, problematic text to others—in what’s shaping up to be an epic battle over the hearts and minds of the children of America’s one percent.

To be sure, scenes like this are not occurring only at Brentwood. Similar skirmishes are breaking out at elite prep schools all over—at Harvard-Westlake, Marlborough, and Archer School for Girls in L.A. and in New York at Chapin and Dalton—making headlines across the country in publications as ideologically divergent as the New York Post and The Atlantic. But it’s worth focusing on what’s going on at this particular school off West Sunset. Because it’s here at Brentwood that all the forces arrayed in this conflict—woke alumni who want to tear the system down; teachers who’ve had a hard enough time getting through the year on Zoom, let alone dealing with paradigm shifts in educational priorities; and angry, frustrated moms and dads who just want their kids to get into good colleges—are most dramatically and publicly clashing, like those stranded boys battling each other on a deserted island in Lord of the Flies, one of the novels Brentwood struck from reading lists last year.’

I live in Brentwood :smile:
    Don’t send your kids there

‘Brentwood alerted parents that at least one day of school would be starting late so that faculty could spend a morning discussing chapters of White Fragility.’

lol

What’s on Earth is ‘white fragility’ ?
    A best selling book.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Fragility

The concept is that white people are used to their position at the top of the social hierarchy, and feel threatened by social equality measures challenging their status.

You may have seen some examples on here tonight. Male fragility and class fragility are similar.
    I suspect even the people who promote these type of theories don't really believe in them, although they would never admit so publicly.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No, because the mad American creationist right is not winning the culture war. The mad identitarian American Left IS, and, what’s more, they are exporting their poisonous lunacy across the West. Including the UK. So it matters

American education is just the first great temple to fall

My son is the last year of a public elementary school in Los Angeles. We have seen literally zero indication of any of this.

Zero.

There has been a course on slavery in the US (a bad thing), but that's it.

My daughter is 13.

She has not been taught about "white privilege" or anything similar. I mean they could be saving it for when they're a bit older. But I suspect that there is no big woke reveal.

Indeed, the only thing even vaguely "woke" about their schools is that one has a single transgender toilet, which is apparently the place you go to vape and not be discovered.

I think a lot of the stories on Twitter are simply untrue, or at the least grossly exaggerated.

Look at how worked up you become - these stories are clickbait and share magnets that end up reinforcing this idea that your culture is under attack. When, in fact, kids education is basically the same as it ever was.
    No, they’re true. The evidence is overwhelming

"Paul Rossi, a math teacher at Grace Church School in New York City who 'was relieved of his teaching duties' after he blew the whistle on the private school's critical race theory-based curriculum."
    via @theblaze

Check the audio. The head admits they are ‘demonising white kids’. Admits it

https://twitter.com/freethepeople/status/1388576456196820993?s=21
    And you know what, people won't send their kids to that PRIVATE school.

So the private school will change their curriculum, because otherwise the money will cease coming in.
    On this, you’re an idiot. Sorry
    Of course there is a lot more to it.

What is Happening maybe overblown by the right wing press and maybe click bait. but there is still A trend there that is seeing people losing jobs and opportunities for not adhering to certain dogma. Especially in further education and the performing arts. I noticed Mary Beard was being attacked on Twitter not for the views she holds but for following ‘TERFS’ on Twitter. James Dreyfus has lost work too simply based in a letter he signed six years ago. Richard Dawkins has been stripped of his humanist of the year award from the nineties for views he recently expressed. It is happening more and more and Will only continue because the people,with power and influence are not the politicians.
    I know for a fact I've been held back from being a reviewer and mentor in my job because I'm a male.

The HR director told me.

The basis of the argument was they have a 50:50 split they've achieved (contrived) and because a female resigned from the firm another has to take the spot, and did - who joined 9 months ago.

I asked five years ago.
    I recall an apparently true story from the BBC. The diversity unit was discussing the make-up of various BBC boards and someone asked ‘so, Jenny, how is the Religious Affairs board doing in terms of equality and diversity?’

Answer:

‘Really really well, we’ve now got 5 women and just 2 men, but we can do even better’

And no one batted an eyelid
    And everyone ignores the biggest elephant in the room, which is class inequality. Assuming the story is true, the folks at the BBC would be perfectly happy if the five daughters of the Duke of Westminster got the job (if he had 5) over males from working class backgrounds because, you know, it's progress.
    Well yes, any attempt to define privilege as somehow being exclusively defined by a fairly narrow set of genes is clearly bonkers.

It's also contradictory to say that parts 1,223,600 to 1,245,233 of your genetic code are immovable and somehow bring with them you being part of some shared history and culture... while this bit of your genetic code which determines if you have a penis or a womb is completely in your control to change.

I always use President Obama's children as my example. Does anyone really think Malia Obama is less privileged than the average (white) inhabitant of Marion County, West Virginia*.

* Average household income around £8,000/year.
    Do you mean McDowell county:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDowell_County,_West_Virginia

Marion county doesn't seem too bad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_County,_West_Virginia
    I sourced from here (https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/west-virginia/poorest-counties-wv/) but may be out of date.
    Of 3,142 counties in the United States in 2013, McDowell County ranked 3,142 in the life expectancy of both male and female residents.

In 2015, McDowell County had the highest rate of drug-induced deaths of any county in the United States, with 141 deaths per 100,000 people.

The county has been classified as a "food desert" by the USDA. In 2017, there were two full-sized grocery stores serving the county's 535 square miles.[28] The county's only Walmart Supercenter, the county's largest employer, closed in 2016.[29]

Financial services remain scant in the area. In 1999, The First National Bank of Keystone, the only bank then located in the coal town of Keystone and the town's major employer at the time, was closed by the FDIC due to fraud.

McDowell's population has fallen from 98k in 1950 to 17k in 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqceHviNBC4
    I imagine real estate is reasonable, although it might be a long drive to your local Starbucks.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    edited May 2021

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No, because the mad American creationist right is not winning the culture war. The mad identitarian American Left IS, and, what’s more, they are exporting their poisonous lunacy across the West. Including the UK. So it matters

My son is the last year of a public elementary school in Los Angeles. We have seen literally zero indication of any of this.

Zero.

My daughter is 13.

She has not been taught about "white privilege" or anything similar. I mean they could be saving it for when they're a bit older. But I suspect that there is no big woke reveal.

Indeed, the only thing even vaguely "woke" about their schools is that one has a single transgender toilet, which is apparently the place you go to vape and not be discovered.

I think a lot of the stories on Twitter are simply untrue, or at the least grossly exaggerated.

Look at how worked up you become - these stories are clickbait and share magnets that end up reinforcing this idea that your culture is under attack. When, in fact, kids education is basically the same as it ever was.
    No, they’re true. The evidence is overwhelming

"Paul Rossi, a math teacher at Grace Church School in New York City who 'was relieved of his teaching duties' after he blew the whistle on the private school's critical race theory-based curriculum."
    via @theblaze

Check the audio. The head admits they are ‘demonising white kids’. Admits it

https://twitter.com/freethepeople/status/1388576456196820993?s=21
    And you know what, people won't send their kids to that PRIVATE school.

So the private school will change their curriculum, because otherwise the money will cease coming in.
    On this, you’re an idiot. Sorry
    Of course there is a lot more to it.

What is Happening maybe overblown by the right wing press and maybe click bait. but there is still A trend there that is seeing people losing jobs and opportunities for not adhering to certain dogma. Especially in further education and the performing arts. I noticed Mary Beard was being attacked on Twitter not for the views she holds but for following ‘TERFS’ on Twitter. James Dreyfus has lost work too simply based in a letter he signed six years ago. Richard Dawkins has been stripped of his humanist of the year award from the nineties for views he recently expressed. It is happening more and more and Will only continue because the people,with power and influence are not the politicians.
    I know for a fact I've been held back from being a reviewer and mentor in my job because I'm a male.

The HR director told me.

The basis of the argument was they have a 50:50 split they've achieved (contrived) and because a female resigned from the firm another has to take the spot, and did - who joined 9 months ago.

I asked five years ago.
    I recall an apparently true story from the BBC. The diversity unit was discussing the make-up of various BBC boards and someone asked ‘so, Jenny, how is the Religious Affairs board doing in terms of equality and diversity?’

Answer:

‘Really really well, we’ve now got 5 women and just 2 men, but we can do even better’

And no one batted an eyelid
    And everyone ignores the biggest elephant in the room, which is class inequality. Assuming the story is true, the folks at the BBC would be perfectly happy if the five daughters of the Duke of Westminster got the job (if he had 5) over males from working class backgrounds because, you know, it's progress.
    Mmm, the populist right are absolutely teeming with plans to restribute wealth and power away from financial and social elites and in favour of the working class.

That's why they're always banging on about the evils of woke and the joys of strong borders and making their countries great again. You know, just like they used to be in those halcyon far off days of unwoke when workers ruled the roost.

It's all about reducing class inequalities. It's what keeps those guys awake at nights. The Trumps. The Farages. The ERG.
    This is correct ; the modern left spends identity preoccupations of varying usefulness, some of which mirror the right, and genuine social concern. Boris Johnson's and Farage's class concern is not genuine.
    If they're about reducing class privilege they ought to be arguing for strong unions, high tax and spend, an expansion of public ownership in the economy and the eradication of educational elitism by parental bank balance.

But they don't. Because in truth they give zero fucks about fighting class inequality. Instead it's all about shoring up the traditional hierarchies of race and gender, plus a dose of xenophobic, insular nationalism to keep the plebs distracted and animated about the wrong things. Meanwhile the money rolls into the same old pockets.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

felix said:

Taz said:

Final YouGov poll for the London Mayoral election has a large swing to,the Tory candidate.

I cannot believe this given the narrowing in the polls recently. It just beggars belief, if true.

https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1389657497405960193?s=21

Extraordinary - if correct!
    So what, personal preference aside, do we make of the simultaneous narrowing of the national polls (leads of 5, 1, 1, 2) and the dramatic improvement for the Tories in all of Hartlepool, London and WM? It seems unlikely that either set of polls are all wrong. So:

1. The Tories have suddenly become really good at campaigning? Where they're paying attention, they rocket upwards, but it doesn't affect the rest of the country?
    2. Labour is doing wonderfully somewhere else. Scotland? Wales?
    3. What?

Nick

The national polling has very little relevance to local elections.

Hartlepool - IF CON win then it is down to local factors, I am still calling a marginal LAB hold.

London - everyone hates CON there. I am considering asking for a benefit as the last CON supporter there. Sadiq is massive. LAB possibly 11/14 of the constituency seats.

West Midlands - looks like Street is safe

Scotland - no one likes CON, LAB coming back well

Wales - better for Drakeford than expected

England local elections - CON on a high 2016, 2017 - LAB looking to come back, might not happen
    Are you availing yourself of some of the 6/1 for the Labour hold then?
    Should be 25/1 at least.

Majority of those voting already have.

SKS's chosen one has been defeated.
    For me, this seat has always been a goner. The margin will be interesting though.

What do you think? 3500?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Stocky said:
    Khan if he can be prised from London for 2024

If its this year i would go for Rayner
    Khan would be a terrible terrible PM. Rayner don’t know - I’d disagree but she could probably be effective in her own terms
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

I absolutely condemn it.

That was OJ, wasn't it?
  • Options

Leon said:

Do you disbelief the stories?

This stuff can and does happen. It's insane.
    No, but they are less of a danger than millions of unvaccinated Americans because they are Covid-19 deniers who are being fed misinformation by the GOP.

The doctor heading a controversial physician’s advocacy group opposing government involvement in medicine has been announced as a leading witness at a US Senate homeland security and governmental affairs committee hearing on Tuesday.

Jane Orient has rejected any “anti-vaxxer” label but her criticism of coronavirus vaccines has drawn scathing rebukes from some senior politicians infuriated by her invitation to testify to Congress.

“At such a crucial time, giving a platform to conspiracy theorists to spread myths and falsehoods about Covid vaccines is downright dangerous and one of the last things Senate Republicans should be doing right now,” the Senate minority leader and New York Democrat, Chuck Schumer, said in a statement released on Sunday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/07/anti-vaccine-doctor-testify-coronavirus-senate-hearing-jane-orient

These are the people that want creationism taught in schools.
    My daughter is being taught critical race theory at the moment. She says that she says what her teacher wants to hear because she’ll be punished if she says what she believes. That’s not healthy for a kid to understand.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

I absolutely condemn it.

‘Brentwood alerted parents that at least one day of school would be starting late so that faculty could spend a morning discussing chapters of White Fragility.’

lol

It's a term for white people who cannot discuss the concept of white privilege without having an emotional and intellectual meltdown.

This forum is awash with it. You don't even need to be paying attention to see this.
    I don't think it's a useful concept at all, and I speak as someone who even has less problem with concepts like White Privilege. It's a kind of lazy ideological literalism that in its general emotional characterisation is also even racist, I would say.
    I disagree. To me it accurately describes something and I can't come up with a better term for what it describes.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Zero.

My daughter is 13.

It’s happening in a few schools - mainly NYC and ASL
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited May 2021
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/04/internal-polling-suggests-labour-heading-for-defeat-in-hartlepool-byelection?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The mood among some Labour figures in Hartlepool was “pretty desperate”, sources said. Internal data from six weeks of campaigning shows that just over 40% of previous party supporters have said they will vote for the party again this week. The figure is what is known as a “promise rate” – who people say they will vote for – and is based on the canvassing of more than 10,000 people in the town, most of whom have recently voted Labour.

We haven’t got the small donors that Corbyn brought and haven’t got the big donors that [Tony] Blair had. We’re trapped between the two worlds.”
    -------------------------------

So the Labour leadership from the right of the party got rid of the people that supplied the bulk of the votes, the money and the canvassing power. They did all this in exchange for some head rubs from the media who will support the Conservatives anyway and some head rubs from loyal Conservative voters who will support the Conservatives anyway.

Either, they are completely electorally incompetent.

Or

They are happy for Labour to fail as long as Labour fails whilst being led by a centrist.

If anyone who used to say the leader needs to go so the government actually have some opposition for the good of the country they would say so now unless it was just a different kind of cynical excuse for Conservatives to replace Corbyn with an easier opponent.

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1389661841949855748

But...but... Tony said we'd be 20 points ahead, we just had to insult and kick out most of the people who actually vote for us and then everyone who doesn't vote for us would see how amazing Labour are and vote for us.

Failing to realise the left are some of the only sympathetic idiots stupid enough to give Labour their vote.

@kle4 NP for earlier, I sometimes like to use f you as a term of endearment so I assumed we were becoming friends, so in that spirit f you too ;)
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Charles said:

Leon said:

Do you disbelief the stories?

This stuff can and does happen. It's insane.
    No, but they are less of a danger than millions of unvaccinated Americans because they are Covid-19 deniers who are being fed misinformation by the GOP.

The doctor heading a controversial physician’s advocacy group opposing government involvement in medicine has been announced as a leading witness at a US Senate homeland security and governmental affairs committee hearing on Tuesday.

Jane Orient has rejected any “anti-vaxxer” label but her criticism of coronavirus vaccines has drawn scathing rebukes from some senior politicians infuriated by her invitation to testify to Congress.

“At such a crucial time, giving a platform to conspiracy theorists to spread myths and falsehoods about Covid vaccines is downright dangerous and one of the last things Senate Republicans should be doing right now,” the Senate minority leader and New York Democrat, Chuck Schumer, said in a statement released on Sunday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/07/anti-vaccine-doctor-testify-coronavirus-senate-hearing-jane-orient

These are the people that want creationism taught in schools.
    My daughter is being taught critical race theory at the moment. She says that she says what her teacher wants to hear because she’ll be punished if she says what she believes. That’s not healthy for a kid to understand.
    I still don't understand what critical race theory is.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

I absolutely condemn it.

lol

If a white person denies being intrinsically racist they are being defensive because they are concerned about the fragility of their white privilege.

Basically if you admit to being racist you are guilty. If you deny it, it’s proof that you are guilty. BURN THE WITCH!!
  • Options

Leon said:

PB is at its most dull when posters from right and left proactively dig out extreme (yet atypical) examples of wokeism and prejudice. It adds zero value: Internet Rule 54 states the possibly of some organisation or individual somewhere behaving stupidly at any given time is precisely 1 in 1.

If you think Wokeness in American education is ‘extreme and atypical’ you’re a halfwit. Soz
    Robert has just challenged you on it: he has the advantage of sending his own children to school in, erm, America. My niece and nephew also go to school in ... now let’s see ... America. Yet we’re supposed to be triggered by some random bloke on the internet who has found an example on Twitter after scouring the ‘threads’ for wokes under the yolk.

LOL.
    My daughter goes to ASl and what is happening at Riverdale, Dalton & Grace is happening there too
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited May 2021
    Charles said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Leon said:

I absolutely condemn it.

lol

If a white person denies being intrinsically racist they are being defensive because they are concerned about the fragility of their white privilege.

Basically if you admit to being racist you are guilty. If you deny it, it’s proof that you are guilty. BURN THE WITCH!!
    So basically what our entire media with enthusiastic Conservative and centrist support did with Corbyn?

Also to clarify Conservatives (and probably our media) thinks it is a bad idea, outside of when they are doing it with Corbyn?

Good times. :)
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2021
    edit - duplicated post.

This discussion has been closed.