Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited May 2021 in General
Undefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Small sample, badly out of date. Labour are now value.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489
    Hummm. OGH has started a brand new thread . . . just when I put him on the spot re: his true betting preference way back when in 1963!

Coincidence? Kismet?? OR conspiracy???

SO here it is again (you can hide Smithson, or you can run!)

FPT

Mike Smithson has NOT yet answered THE burning question of this thred!

That is IF he did NOT put his pennies on Sir Alec Douglas Hume for Leader of the Tory Party in 1963, then WHO did he bet on?

My guess is Sir Gerald Nabarro.

SMITHSON FESS UP! PB WANTS TO KNOW!!
  • Options
    HarryFreemanHarryFreeman Posts: 210
    IshmaelZ said:

6s on betfair. I'd be tempted at double figures - not at the current price.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    So the scores on the doors for SKS are likely to be:

Overall council seats, a bit of a wash, not much change either way.
    Hartlepool a loss.
    London a clear win, probably not on the first count.
    Scotland small progress
    Wales small retreat, not nearly as bad as it looked a month ago
    West Midlands Mayor, a bit of a thumping.
    Teeside Mayor probably a loss.
    Greater Manchester Mayor, a clear win.

It's not a great scorecard, is it? More of a C- than a C+ I would say.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

An interesting question is whether the poll itself will have an effect. I am pretty sure the Labour campaign is feeling more than a tad demoralised right now.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    No. This won't be a huge shock. Many have been predicting it from the get go.
    Including, I believe, every single one of the NE based posters.
  • Options
    Re: polling, is anyone still doing it the REAL old-fashioned way, that is with in-person interviews?

Expensive, yes. But given the proliferation of cell phones PLUS the reluctance of folks to answer ANY in-coming call, cell or landline, where the do NOT recognize the caller on their caller ID, would seem that in-person polling just MIGHT make a comeback?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited May 2021
    Winning seats from the opposition at a by election is easy when the LOTO is Starmer or Corbyn.

Even Mrs May managed it.
  • Options
    CursingStoneCursingStone Posts: 421
    DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

If there's no Scotland progress I would be saying more a solid D. IDS was dumped for a much much better performance than this.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111

Re: polling, is anyone still doing it the REAL old-fashioned way, that is with in-person interviews?

Expensive, yes. But given the proliferation of cell phones PLUS the reluctance of folks to answer ANY in-coming call, cell or landline, where the do NOT recognize the caller on their caller ID, would seem that in-person polling just MIGHT make a comeback?

It's an interesting point but its, comparatively, hugely expensive. Good polling is eye-watering at the best of times but who's going to pay people to do it in person?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

There's this thing happening right now, you might not have noticed because it's barely been in the news, but it turns out that in-person anything is severely out of favour for some reason.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    If Labour do lose by 17%, Survation have done them a favour as it would have been a nasty surprise for them on the night.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

There's this thing happening right now, you might not have noticed because it's barely been in the news, but it turns out that in-person anything is severely out of favour for some reason.
    Some things are very definitely better in person than over a screen though. No doubt about it. 😉
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

You've got the WM and Tees Valley the wrong way round there.
    Scotland. Majority or not for SNP is the only thing in serious doubt.
    Although Conservative performance in the affluent South of England has passed by almost uncommented on.
    If we are to combine the national and regional polling, then Labour must be moving forward somewhere. My money is on there.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    The lates London poll has Khan down by 3points. Some very very odd polling rersults not all explained by survey date.

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1389590096756740098/photo/1

• Options
    Endillion said:

Good retort! Though I was thinking of masked pollsters - true Lone Rangers.

OR maybe they could where haz-mat suits? Would seem suitable attire even post-pandemic!
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited May 2021
    Hartlepool Shmartlepool.

The Speccie points out that Starmer might have to fight another nightmare seat after Thursday. Tracy Brabin will apparently step down as Batley and Spen MP if she triumphs in the West Yorkshire Mayoralty, according to the Speccie.

• Options
    edited May 2021

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

If there's no Scotland progress I would be saying more a solid D. IDS was dumped for a much much better performance than this.
    I had thought that Sarwar just might deliver second place behind the SNP. That is not what the polling is showing now though.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Good afternoon, everybody.

I know nothing about betting, nothing about polling, and nothing about politics. I'm doubtful that the Conservatives will win in Hartlepool simply because, much more often than not, upsets don't happen. But of course I'd have said the same in Scotland the year Labour were ejected.

I'll be interested to see what the outcome actually is and even more interested in the post mortem (when everyone says why it was always obvious that that would happen).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

IDS was dumped for much better reasons than the results of some council elections.
  • Options

Hartlepool Shmartlepool.

The Speccie points out that Starmer might have to fight another nightmare seat after Thursday. Tracy Brabin will apparently step down as Batley and Spen MP if she triumphs in the West Yorkshire Mayoralty, according to the Speccie.

PB is way ahead of the Speccie, from March.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/03/07/things-to-look-forward-to-in-2021-an-exciting-by-election/

PS - So many of us are waiting for you to provide that link about the census. It really has huge betting implications.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

Although Conservative performance in the affluent South of England has passed by almost uncommented on.
    If we are to combine the national and regional polling, then Labour must be moving forward somewhere. My money is on there.
    As I suggested earlier, it’s the Waitrose and John Lewis shoppers who don’t like the clown coming over all upper class and sneering at them.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    O/T

"'Far more likely' coronavirus came from lab, ex-MI6 chief tells LBC

Sir Richard Dearlove said aspects of the virus "point in the direction of it being somewhat tailored" though he warned this may never be proven.

The former "C" of the Secret Intelligence Service – equivalent to "M" in James Bond – also told LBC's Tom Swarbrick that more information on the coronavirus' origin will soon come out."

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/coronavirus-escaped-from-lab-mi6-chief/
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

I had thought that Sarwar just might deliver second place behind the SNP. That is not what the polling is showing now though.
    If you look at the leader ratings Sarwar is in for a good night, DRoss not so much, but Alex Salmond and Alba will be lucky to get one seat.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

It's an interesting point but its, comparatively, hugely expensive. Good polling is eye-watering at the best of times but who's going to pay people to do it in person?
    Maybe use the Sherlock Holmes gambit, and employ impoverished but plucky street urchins?

"Please, sir, just a moment of your time, to help out a poor but honest nipper such as meself - if the byelection was today, would you be voting for Cornish Nationalists or the Geordie Liberation Front? Or skiping the whole thing, going home, turning on the gas and sticking yer fat head into the oven?"
  • Options
    felix said:

The lates London poll has Khan down by 3points. Some very very odd polling rersults not all explained by survey date.

Is that a Binface late surge we see on this sunny afternoon?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Good afternoon, everybody.

I know nothing about betting, nothing about polling, and nothing about politics. I'm doubtful that the Conservatives will win in Hartlepool simply because, much more often than not, upsets don't happen. But of course I'd have said the same in Scotland the year Labour were ejected.

I'll be interested to see what the outcome actually is and even more interested in the post mortem (when everyone says why it was always obvious that that would happen).

You must be super-interested in punning, then.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Explain the logic of Labour losing in the groups most opposed to racism (young and minorities)

If the centrists and right wing fairly tale about Corbyn being racist and Starmer being anti racist were true the opposite would happen.

Starmer seems most popular (comparatively to Corbyn) among groups most in favour of racism (older white people) the same groups were Corbyn is least popular.

I know this might be hard to hear but is it possible it is you that is wrong rather than the children Mr Skinner?

The better starting point is not to be racist because its wrong. Too many of your fellow Corbynite activists - and Corbyn himself - cannot pass this test due to being usually passive but sometimes active anti-semites.

Once you've got this "believing in something cos its right" thing down, the next barrier is not ramming your standards down other people's throats. You may be right and the other person wrong, but sneering / shouting won't change their view in your direction. Quite the opposite in fact.

Finally, don't be a screaming hypocrite. Diane Abbott was on the on the end of some horrendous racist abuse - with much of it coming from Labour members who then insisted it wasn't racist.
    Diane Abbott is an interesting one to compare with Israel.

If you're attacking Abbott/Israel alone then that seems to be racism.

If you're attacking Abbott along with Rebecca Wrong Daily, Laura Pillock, the Jezziah and the rest of them - then that's not racist.
    Wrong-Daily is white. Pillock is white. Berger is BAME. Abbott is BAME. My point was that in large parts of Labour there is a hierarchy of racism where as Baddiel puts it so neatly: Jews Don't Count.

The party promoted Anas Sarwar as the first BAME leader of a political party. Scottish Labour isn't a political party, but Sarwar isn't even the first BAME Labour leader - Ed Milliband doesn't count apparently.
    Would you expect Ed to be classed as BAME?

Here's the definition AIUI -

"The acronym BAME stands for Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic and is defined as all ethnic groups except White ethnic groups. It does not relate to country origin or affiliation."

Ed is white, no?
    Are arabs BAME? I believe the answer is yes.
    Logically therefore jews must be BAME as they have the same origins both are semitic (though for some reason anti semite is only used for jew haters)

Either both are or both aren't. Try walking into a momentum meeting and telling people Palestinians are not BAME and let us know how it goes
    In my area many people whose parents came over from north Africa apparently put down White Other as their ethnicity.
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Alex Salmond has finally defined what a 'supermajority' of pro-independence MSPs is. A majority that is "more super" than a smaller majority. I kid you not.
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19277844.salmond-no-exact-number-constitute-independence-supermajority/

As I wrote last month...
    https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1389583310653992970/photo/1

As Syndrome pointed out in the Incredibles more than 15 years ago now "when everyone is super, no one is."
    Super Saturday football springs to mind.

As bumper as this weeks elections are I'm not sure it really is super Thursday either.
    dixiedean said:

Just got back from an early May stroll.
    Sleeting.
    Labour's problem is Tory popularity. This is mysterious to its members and myself. But it is there.

Not a fan myself, but I do like to remind people when they talk about how hated the Tories are that they are the most popular political party across the UK (not in the UK), and have been for some time.

The flip side is of course remain electorally very popular too with loads of people, but whilst a group can be be both popular and hated, it's worth people remembering the former part is true as well as the latter.

DavidL said:

Floater said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

This thread. Read it all. JFC. This is why Wokeness is dangerous and shit at the same time

https://twitter.com/kyleworton/status/1389532009605775364?s=21

‘Liverpool University is removing the name of William Gladstone lding will be renamed for a Communist, Dorothy Kuya.’

Well. in fairness, Communism never did anything wrong did it 🤦‍♂️

Dorothy Kuya was no idealistic "private" Communist, incidentally: she was a lifelong member of
    Quote Tweet

In short, a traitor.
    You have to break a few (million) eggs David :wink:
    Maybe it was my childhood experiences in Germany but I have never understood why supporters of communism are thought morally superior to another corpse for corpse.

Fascists hate minorities, communists only capitalists.

In the grand scheme of things capitalists only lawyers who work for banks are lower than capitalists.

I had a friend who said even though Mao was responsible for more deaths than Hitler what makes Hitler worse was the fact that Hitler wanted to kill all those people and more, whereas as Mao only wanted best for his people, and things like the Great Leap Forward were noble ventures which went wrong.

My eyes rolled so much at that I saw my own optic nerves.
    Communism being a good idea gone wrong is a bizarrely prevalent or at least accepted view.

I dont get it, since you dont need to be some rigid uber capitalist instead, there are middle grounds.

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2021
    Assuming the polls are true - and labour is losing significant votes in Hartlepool, doing pretty badly in the West Midlands, but ~level pegging overall, WHERE are they piling up votes?

I don’t get it.

Has anyone dug into the subsamples?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    felix said:

Khan beats Bailey 63% to 37% in the runoff however.

That would be the biggest ever win in a London Mayoral election second round, even beating the 58% to 42% Livingstone beat Norris by in 2000

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1389590455684317184?s=20
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

They may both be a thumping. The latest polling for Street this morning did not indicate it was close.

I suspect that much of their gain will be in London but there is increasingly little low hanging fruit left there. But yes, there does seem a discrepancy between these polls of individual races and the overall country polling with the latter much more favourable to Labour.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

If you look at the leader ratings Sarwar is in for a good night, DRoss not so much, but Alex Salmond and Alba will be lucky to get one seat.
    Small victories I suppose, but also small comfort.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

I reckon many blue leaning Scots can hold their nose and vote Sarwar's Labour to keep out Nippy's Nats in the constituency vote - far more than under Corbyn/Leonard.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Sir Richard Dearlove said aspects of the virus "point in the direction of it being somewhat tailored" though he warned this may never be proven.

The former "C" of the Secret Intelligence Service – equivalent to "M" in James Bond – also told LBC's Tom Swarbrick that more information on the coronavirus' origin will soon come out."

Talking absolute shite, IMO.
    (It's not impossible that the virus escaped from a lab, but the stuff about the spike being 'mucked about with' is just rubbish.)
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,826
    ping said:

Assuming the polls are true - and labour is losing significant votes in Hartlepool, doing pretty badly in the West Midlands, but ~level pegging overall, WHERE are they piling up votes?

I don’t get it.

Possibly places where they already weigh the labour vote like london
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Hartlepool Shmartlepool.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/03/07/things-to-look-forward-to-in-2021-an-exciting-by-election/

PS - So many of us are waiting for you to provide that link about the census. It really has huge betting implications.
    As a byelection Batley and Spen is far harder to call. The Brexit vote was minimal as it went to the Heavy Woollen District Independents party and there really isn't the "see what you missing out on" issue that Hartlepool had.

However, were SKS to lose that byelection there would be problems as that really should be a Labour seat...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

As I suggested earlier, it’s the Waitrose and John Lewis shoppers who don’t like the clown coming over all upper class and sneering at them.
    That's the issue with fake news. The John Lewis thing is entirely fabricated but has now entered into the political culture as truth. Parties need to be aware about how hard they need to face these things down and get those in the media to correct the record.
  • Options
    ping said:

I don’t get it.

Labour's vote is up in London, Scotland and the South on 2019 but down in the Midlands and Wales and Leave voting areas of the North
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    kle4 said:

Communism being a good idea gone wrong is a bizarrely prevalent or at least accepted view.

I dont get it, since you dont need to be some rigid uber capitalist instead, there are middle grounds.

I think part of it started because Uncle Joe Stalin was on our side during WWII so that made him and communism palatable for some.

Anti-Americanism also explains a lot.

Enoch Powell was an Anti-American and thought ourselves and the USSR were natural allies, the bookends of Europe to keep the. continent in place.
  • Options
    Pfizer's forecast revenues for its vaccine will give it, by some distance, the biggest single year sales for any drug in history.
    https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1389531863908237315
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

felix said:

I'm seriously considering Binface. For all the difference it will make.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pfizer's forecast revenues for its vaccine will give it, by some distance, the biggest single year sales for any drug in history.

Beating Viagra? Now that IS impressive!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

May not have the breadth of candidates to take advantage though. In my rurality Labour were distinctly more slick and noticable in their campaigning in 2017, definitely fired up by Corbynism, so far nothing at all.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

I think that they will get 2, 1 in the NE and 1 in Highland. An embarrassingly poor performance for the former FM.

The other thing to bear in mind is that Scottish Tories are used to having really crap leaders. Until Ruth came along it was the norm. Didn't stop them voting.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

felix said:

That would be the biggest ever win in a London Mayoral election second round, even beating the 58% to 42% Livingstone beat Norris by in 2000

Honestly seems like theyd take that at this point. 63/37 is at least theoretically recoverable in an election or two.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

I thought his manifesto was inspired.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

ping said:

I don’t get it.

And yet Khan is down.
    My money's on the Home Counties.
  • Options
    eek said:

Hartlepool Shmartlepool.

As a byelection Batley and Spen is far harder to call. The Brexit vote was minimal as it went to the Heavy Woollen District Independents party and there really isn't the "see what you missing out on" issue that Hartlepool had.

However, were SKS to lose that byelection there would be problems as that really should be a Labour seat...
    It is a seat I kinda know well through friends.

The big difference between Batley & Spen is that the Heavy Woollen Independents aren't analogous to the Brexit Party in Hartlepool.

This lot think Farage is a woke liberal, and the BNP used to be quite active here as well.

There's also a residual sympathy vote for Labour here as well, whether that lasts at the by election is another factor.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    DavidL said:

Endillion said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

Oh, has he got one? Never mind then.

Edit: found it. Lots there to like, but he wants London to rejoin the EU, so into the bag of poisonous snakes he goes with the rest of them.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

I reckon many blue leaning Scots can hold their nose and vote Sarwar's Labour to keep out Nippy's Nats in the constituency vote - far more than under Corbyn/Leonard.

Hopefully the possibility of being pipped into second among unionist parties wont put them off.

For the greater good.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

I don’t get it.

And yet Khan is down.
    Khan isn't down, he is up 4% on his first round share in 2016 and up 6% on his second round share from 2016 on today's poll.

I expect Labour to win London by a landslide on Thursday at both Mayoral and Assembly level and Labour and the LDs to pick up some Tory county council seats in the South.

However I expect the Tories to hold the Tees Valley and WM Mayoralty races and do better in council elections north of Watford and I also expect the Tories to gain seats in Wales in the Senedd and win Hartlepool in the by election.

Scotland will see little change from 2016, certainly at constituency level, though Labour may overtake the Tories on the list even if the Tories still win more constituency MSPs than Labour
  • Options
    ping said:

I don’t get it.

Some of the big cities? Some have suggested they'll do quite well in m/c Tory shires - though they'd need a miracle to have much real impact. I suspect they may get a boost here from 'remainers' and renters leaning left.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

DavidL said:

Endillion said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

He has indeed. One of the highlights was a commitment to move a wash hand basin in a pub's toilet.
  • Options

eek said:

Hartlepool Shmartlepool.

The big difference between Batley & Spen is that the Heavy Woollen Independents aren't analogous to the Brexit Party in Hartlepool.

This lot think Farage is a woke liberal, and the BNP used to be quite active here as well.

There's also a residual sympathy vote for Labour here as well, whether that lasts at the by election is another factor.
    Might the Heavy Woolen Independents do better electorally IF they "rebranded" as the Long Johns League?

When I see the phrase "Heavy Woolen" what I see in my mind's eye is an obese sheep.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

felix said:

Except even there Bailey is up 1 point.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Breaking: Trampoline gone jumpabout in the wind
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

(It's not impossible that the virus escaped from a lab, but the stuff about the spike being 'mucked about with' is just rubbish.)
    Dicky Dearlove, Blair's intelligence chief who said Iraq had WMD.

Never trust a Queens' man, I mean they were founded by the French.

Bloody JCL college.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

IshmaelZ said:

6s on betfair. I'd be tempted at double figures - not at the current price.
    Remember no one will really know until the boxes are emptied or the PVs are been counted. So if it goes out on betfair it is all sentimentality until about 10:45 on thursday evening. I made a bit of money on an old by election that the SNP declared they had won at about 9pm. Labour held the seat.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

They may both be a thumping. The latest polling for Street this morning did not indicate it was close.

I suspect that much of their gain will be in London but there is increasingly little low hanging fruit left there. But yes, there does seem a discrepancy between these polls of individual races and the overall country polling with the latter much more favourable to Labour.
    I wonder if the national polling is the voters slapping Boris for being a bit of an idiot - but in practice most will end up leaning blue despite it all when it comes to actually voting.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2021
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

I don’t get it.

And yet Khan is down.
    I agree. Starmer’s picking up votes in blue-remainia, isn’t he?

Labour could put in a surprisingly good performance in Chesham & Amersham.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Cases now dropping like a stone WoW, deaths almost down to zero. Yet here we are sitting in the cold drinking beer while the nice warm pubs are still closed off.

The scientists have made doom porn modelling an art form. I'm still waiting for those idiots who said we'd have a third wave worse than the second wave to retract their idiot model. Their agenda is laughably transparent and it's time for them to be forced into printing retractions.

At least the beer is warm!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Is this code, for a left-Labour ramp to bounce Starmer?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,380
    MaxPB said:

Cases now dropping like a stone WoW, deaths almost down to zero. Yet here we are sitting in the cold drinking beer while the nice warm pubs are still closed off.

The scientists have made doom porn modelling an art form. I'm still waiting for those idiots who said we'd have a third wave worse than the second wave to retract their idiot model. Their agenda is laughably transparent and it's time for them to be forced into printing retractions.

Will this do?

Even the Modeller of Doom admits this is nearly over.

Dan Bloom
    @danbloom1
    NEW: Prof Neil Ferguson says we now "don’t see any prospect of the NHS being overwhelmed, with the one caveat around variants", in a third wave this summer/autumn

• Options

ping said:

I don’t get it.

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Bloody JCL college.
    Known as "Diddy", I think ?

He does seem somewhat clueless.
  • Options
    felix said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

I wonder if the national polling is the voters slapping Boris for being a bit of an idiot - but in practice most will end up leaning blue despite it all when it comes to actually voting.
    I think there is truth in that. But there is a shelf life on people willing to overlook poor behaviour. He needs to get himself sorted out.
  • Options

eek said:

Hartlepool Shmartlepool.

At least one member of the far right certainly was depressingly active.
  • Options
    felix said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

That's what a Tory optimist would say. A pessimist would point out that the national polling is a lot more up to date and very probably better weighted than these local polls. I remember single constituency polling in the 2015 election in particular but with no affection whatsoever.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    "Opinium
    @OpiniumResearch
    LONDON POLLING

Sadiq Khan set to be comfortably re-elected this Thursday, polling at 48% to Shaun Bailey's 29%."

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1389590096756740098
  • Options
    Any London Mayoral turnout markets ?

45.3% in 2016..
  • Options

felix said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

I think there is truth in that. But there is a shelf life on people willing to overlook poor behaviour. He needs to get himself sorted out.
    50+ years and counting.....
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    ping said:

I don’t get it.

I don't think the Tories have a single voter left around my way. So that's part of it. Hopefully just a small part, though, since such a swap would be electorally inefficient for Labour.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Bloody JCL college.
    21st century Dr. Strangelove?
  • Options
    felix said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Except even there Bailey is up 1 point.
    Bailey is down 6% on Zac Goldsmith's first round score in 2016 and down 6% on Goldsmith's second round score too
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Endillion said:

DavidL said:

Endillion said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

He has indeed. One of the highlights was a commitment to move a wash hand basin in a pub's toilet.
    Misrepresentation.
    It is the hand dryer.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

I don’t get it.

And yet Khan is down.
    Khan isn't down, he is up 4% on his first round share in 2016 and up 6% on his second round share from 2016 on today's poll.

I expect Labour to win London by a landslide on Thursday at both Mayoral and Assembly level and Labour and the LDs to pick up some Tory county council seats in the South.

However I expect the Tories to hold the Tees Valley and WM Mayoralty races and do better in council elections north of Watford and I also expect the Tories to gain seats in Wales in the Senedd and win Hartlepool in the by election.

Scotland will see little change from 2016, certainly at constituency level, though Labour may overtake the Tories on the list even if the Tories still win more constituency MSPs than Labour
    What about the West of England Mayoralty?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Hartlepool Shmartlepool.

Why do I feel like I am walking into a trap?

There's a perfectly gettable press release from the US census bureau from 29 April that says 155m people over 18 voted in the US presidential.

CNBC claimed on in November 2020 that 'at least 159.8m ballots were cast?'

It doesn't prove anything but it stokes the republican fires.

What's the big deal?
  • Options
    edited May 2021

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Endillion said:

Pagan2 said:

Explain the logic of Labour losing in the groups most opposed to racism (young and minorities)

If the centrists and right wing fairly tale about Corbyn being racist and Starmer being anti racist were true the opposite would happen.

Starmer seems most popular (comparatively to Corbyn) among groups most in favour of racism (older white people) the same groups were Corbyn is least popular.

I know this might be hard to hear but is it possible it is you that is wrong rather than the children Mr Skinner?

The better starting point is not to be racist because its wrong. Too many of your fellow Corbynite activists - and Corbyn himself - cannot pass this test due to being usually passive but sometimes active anti-semites.

Once you've got this "believing in something cos its right" thing down, the next barrier is not ramming your standards down other people's throats. You may be right and the other person wrong, but sneering / shouting won't change their view in your direction. Quite the opposite in fact.

Finally, don't be a screaming hypocrite. Diane Abbott was on the receiving end of some horrendous racist abuse. She was also on the end of a lot of abuse because she is a shit politician that was willfully miscategorised as racist. At the same time Luciana Berger was also on the end of some horrendous racist abuse - with much of it coming from Labour members who then insisted it wasn't racist.
    Diane Abbott is an interesting one to compare with Israel.

If you're attacking Abbott/Israel alone then that seems to be racism.

If you're attacking Abbott along with Rebecca Wrong Daily, Laura Pillock, the Jezziah and the rest of them - then that's not racist.
    Wrong-Daily is white. Pillock is white. Berger is BAME. Abbott is BAME. My point was that in large parts of Labour there is a hierarchy of racism where as Baddiel puts it so neatly: Jews Don't Count.

The party promoted Anas Sarwar as the first BAME leader of a political party. Scottish Labour isn't a political party, but Sarwar isn't even the first BAME Labour leader - Ed Milliband doesn't count apparently.
    Because to recognise millibrand as bame they wouldn't be able to claim that even for him as Disraeli would be the first Bame leader of a political party and incidentally prime minister
    Exactly. I stopped with Ed M and didn't mention Howard or the others because they weren't Labour.

This is the Labour Party. Who claims to be anti-racist. And who still has a massive bind spot when it comes to anti-semitism.
    I would say "still" is unfair, given that the start of the problem can be dated precisely to September 2015.

Anyway, using hatred of Starmer by Corbynista fanboys as a crude proxy for whether he's addressing the issue, ten minutes of scanning this forum today has made me quite optimistic.
    Weird given people kept going back before that time (whether they were looking for left wing or centrist anti semitism)

I guess all the anti semitism people used as a weapon against Corbyn (or centrists) that appeared before that date was part of Corbyn's evil racist plan were he went back in time and planted racist comments that seem as if they existed before Corbyn won the leadership but clever older white men with large bank accounts saw through this...

Young people and minorities haven't got this kind of magic perception which is why they can't see that Corbyn is secretly a time travelling racist.
    Please don't tar young people with your brush, most are sane and a great number of them also saw through corbyn and didnt vote for him 71% in fact
    Without young people Corbyn was buried, the old voted against him the young voted for him.

Vast numbers of people as always didn't vote but there is a reason Labour did better among the young.

Corbyn is the first political leader the younger generation has had.
    First?

What about Ed Miliband? Nick Clegg? Tony Blair?

Every "younger generation" has always had a leader or leaders politically. The only way to define Corbyn as the first is simply by wiping out any that come before him, in which case Starmer or A N Other could be a first next time.
    I've never understood why I'm supposed to think someone is greater because they had more of the young vote, as though its morally worth more.

I criticise the grey vote bribes we get and the age polarisation of recent times is a worry, but we overdo the 'please think of the children(and young people)' stuff - same reason people love youthful campaigners.
    I'll never understand people criticising something without reading it, what is the point?

I was on about younger people being less racist and them being the ones who voted for Corbyn (in relatively greater numbers)

Was it really too difficult for you to go back and read the context in which is was used?

Or are my posts just useful staging posts for you to have a self righteous whine without actually reading them?

In future please read the context in which I am saying something or don't talk about my posts. Nothing worse than someone being self righteous when they don't even know what they are talking about.
    You need to calm the f*ck down, take your own advice and read what I wrote.

Your post and the one which followed it led me to reflect on a tangential point of my own. It was not a criticism of you or your post and did not say as much.

Why should not one person's thoughts serve as staging for another, separate point by another? I welcomed the discussion and it led me to think about something related but different.

So f*ck you. Amazing how you just personified the very point you wanted to criticise about self righteousness.

Not everything is about you. Nor do you own a discussion or a reply to a post which was not even yours. Just because it was in a thread with yours didn't make it a criticism of you.

So vain.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    kinabalu said:

ping said:

I don’t get it.

I don't think the Tories have a single voter left around my way. So that's part of it. Hopefully just a small part, though, since such a swap would be electorally inefficient for Labour.
    Are there really seats where the Tory vote is zero? Even in seats like East Ham they manage ~15%.
  • Options
    ping said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

I don’t get it.

And yet Khan is down.

I actually doubt your last point and wrt the Home counties not sure they would win much in a GE here - potential to make the Tory vote even more efficient.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Labour or tory bounce?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Endillion said:

DavidL said:

Endillion said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

Misrepresentation.
    It is the hand dryer.
    My deepest apologies. My memory is not what it was. As best as I can remember.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522
    DavidL said:

Endillion said:

DavidL said:

Endillion said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

Talking of which, I've just turned down an invitation to go to the pub, because it's really too cold. Why couldn't this spring be as warm as last spring?

It looks increasingly as if by the time I'm allowed to sit inside a pub I'll choose to sit outside, as I prefer this on warm days.
  • Options
    felix said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

I don’t get it.

And yet Khan is down.

What about the West of England Mayoralty?
    Could depend on whether it is the Labour or LD candidate who faces the Tory in the runoff, in 2017 it was close with the Tories on 27%, Labour on 22% and the LDs on 20% and 52% Tory and 48% Labour in the runoff
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ping said:

I don’t get it.

Thought you lived near Leon, Sean T and Lady G?
    That's at least 3. There may be many more...
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Beating Viagra? Now that IS impressive!
    That was beaten some while back.
    Current champion is Abbvie's immune modulator Humira.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    MaxPB said:

I don't see much reason for the May 17th changes to be brought forward but there is little reason to not bring the June changes forward.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Endillion said:

DavidL said:

Endillion said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

Talking of which, I've just turned down an invitation to go to the pub, because it's really too cold. Why couldn't this spring be as warm as last spring?

It looks increasingly as if by the time I'm allowed to sit inside a pub I'll choose to sit outside, as I prefer this on warm days.
    I was thinking exactly that when reading @MaxPB's post. If this May was like last this would be less of an issue but its freezing out there.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

In my little corner of SE Spain we've had zero cases for the past 2 days and zero deaths for the past week - combo of weather, rrestrictions and the slow vax rollout - my jab at age 67 is thei Thursday. We will be open for the summer tourists now.
  • Options

Hartlepool Shmartlepool.

There's a perfectly gettable press release from the US census bureau from 29 April that says 155m people over 18 voted in the US presidential.

What's the big deal?
    My google skills aren't working, just asking for a link, if it is gettable could you post it please.
  • Options
    MaffewMaffew Posts: 235
    Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

Will this do?

Dan Bloom
    @danbloom1
    NEW: Prof Neil Ferguson says we now "don’t see any prospect of the NHS being overwhelmed, with the one caveat around variants", in a third wave this summer/autumn

I thought Neil Ferguson had avoided the doom porn and for most of this year was saying once vaccination is complete we're pretty much done in the UK and would just have to live with flu-level outbreaks.
  • Options

Hartlepool Shmartlepool.

What's the big deal?
    My google skills aren't working, just asking for a link, if it is gettable could you post it please.
    https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2021/2020-presidential-election-voting-and-registration-tables-now-available.html#:~:text=APRIL 29, 2021 — The 2020,by the U.S. Census Bureau.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited May 2021
    MaxPB said:

I do agree with you, but the time to announce an earlier opening has sadly passed. We're only 13 days off indoor service now so I imagine all the preparation for the 17th is underway with businesses and to change it at this point would cause logistical trouble for a few days extra business.

One thing I am pleased about is that this really does seem irreversible since it's been so cautious, hopefully this really is it.

Watching the capacity crowd at the snooker last night did make me a bit teary eyed as it's good to be able to see people happy to be out and about at events again, and that crowd + the other events research programme stuff hopefully will prove once and for all that we can do away with social distancing.
  • Options
    felix said:

ping said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

ping said:

I don’t get it.

And yet Khan is down.

I actually doubt your last point and wrt the Home counties not sure they would win much in a GE here - potential to make the Tory vote even more efficient.
    Well indeed. Analogous to Tyne and Wear. Massive swings to the Tories all this century has left 12 out of 12 Labour seats much more efficiently won.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

Will this do?

Dan Bloom
    @danbloom1

It wasn't Ferguson who was banging on about a "third wave with more hospitalisations than the second" but it's a start. All of these scientists and their dodgy models need to have a very bright light shone on them
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    MaxPB said:

Hospital admissions are a week behind and haven't been updated in a few days. No mention of this on the site. Wondering what is happening. Maybe the numbers are too good/bad?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

ping said:

I don’t get it.

Thought you lived near Leon, Sean T and Lady G?
    That's at least 3. There may be many more...
    Are you alleging, that a large chunk of the Tory vote in those parts, is due to massive personation by just one of our star PBers?

Impressive IF true!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    felix said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Hartlepool a loss.
    Scotland small progress

London is giving Labour a huge lead. They'll probably do well in a lot of middle class Remain areas as well. National polling is hardly great for Labour.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Hartlepool Shmartlepool.

What's the big deal?
    https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2021/2020-presidential-election-voting-and-registration-tables-now-available.html#:~:text=APRIL 29, 2021 — The 2020,by the U.S. Census Bureau.
    That looks like a glorified opinion poll, rather than an actual tally of votes cast.
This discussion has been closed.