Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Lib Dems look likely to give it a go in Chesham and Amersham – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2021
    kinabalu said:

ping said:

Selby is value, IMO @1.09

Should be 1/16 by my calculation

I have 18/15 Selby correct score @ 12s which is starting to vibrate.
    Looking good.

I microtraded my way to a tiny green on selby +£29

I just find the odds a bit weird.

Murphy needs to win 4 frames in a row. Evens to win next frame.

Match odds should be evens^4

Eg, Current odds, right now should be ~1/7 / 7/1

Instead 1/5 / 5/1
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

The GOP have been circling the drain for decades.

I think one of the real political events of interest in 2022 will be the GOP primaries for the midterms where we'll see the battle for the soul of the Republican Party played out between the pro-Trump and anti-Trump factions and will we see the first indications of a schism?

Will defeated pro-Trump primary candidates run as third party or Patriot Party candidates for example?
    Worth taking a look at the results of the TX-6 special election. This was a seat Trump won by 3pc in 2020, is in the Dallas / Fort Worth area and the sort of Texas seat Democrats need to win to make advances in the state. Two Republican candidates went through to the final round and the Democrats only garnered 36pc of the vote.

Smaller scale but in a Texas school district where it was a conservative PAC vs progressive Critical Race Theorists, the latter got absolutely slaughtered, with the former taking all seats.

Funnily enough, Biden’s supposed stellar polling ratings or the “popularity” of the progressive agenda doesn’t seem to be translating into votes in the suburbs
    More manna from heaven for the Trump tendency comes in the form of the new US census. The census apparently shows 5 million more votes were counted in 2020 than people recorded as voting.

Its going to run and run with repub voters, this.
    How would a census show that?

How about you share a link demonstrating that "5 million more votes were counted in 2020 than people recorded as voting."
    Perhaps the bigger story here is that the redistribution of House seats following the Census is far less than when the original Census predictions came out last year. The official Census count is a lot more favourable to the Democrats which is getting the Republicans asking questions. And the Census Board is directing questions to the White House, which is not the standard pattern.

Here we go again... zzzzzzzz
    Ah, bless. Look who has popped up again :)
    Still fighting yesterday’s war I see. I realise how hard it is for you to let go.
    Nope, the Census is about 2022's war - the one in which the Dems will get absolutely slaughtered :)
    Wasn't that your prediction for the 2018? The one where the Dems took the House.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

I think one of the real political events of interest in 2022 will be the GOP primaries for the midterms where we'll see the battle for the soul of the Republican Party played out between the pro-Trump and anti-Trump factions and will we see the first indications of a schism?

Will defeated pro-Trump primary candidates run as third party or Patriot Party candidates for example?
    Worth taking a look at the results of the TX-6 special election. This was a seat Trump won by 3pc in 2020, is in the Dallas / Fort Worth area and the sort of Texas seat Democrats need to win to make advances in the state. Two Republican candidates went through to the final round and the Democrats only garnered 36pc of the vote.

Smaller scale but in a Texas school district where it was a conservative PAC vs progressive Critical Race Theorists, the latter got absolutely slaughtered, with the former taking all seats.

Funnily enough, Biden’s supposed stellar polling ratings or the “popularity” of the progressive agenda doesn’t seem to be translating into votes in the suburbs
    More manna from heaven for the Trump tendency comes in the form of the new US census. The census apparently shows 5 million more votes were counted in 2020 than people recorded as voting.

How about you share a link demonstrating that "5 million more votes were counted in 2020 than people recorded as voting."
    Perhaps the bigger story here is that the redistribution of House seats following the Census is far less than when the original Census predictions came out last year. The official Census count is a lot more favourable to the Democrats which is getting the Republicans asking questions. And the Census Board is directing questions to the White House, which is not the standard pattern.

Ask question about a census that Trumpsky and his minions at the Census Bureau worked overtime to massage in THEIR favor? Not surprising, really, given his & their track record!
    Well, someone seemed to have changed it to suit an agenda. It could have been Trump's admin or it could have been Biden's.

I get your view will be it was Trump's but is there any evidence beyond "Uncle Joe is such a nice man, he wouldn't do a thing like that"? Given we have had one fairly brazen attempt to take a congressional seat off the declared winner, best to reserve judgement

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

How has the weather been for most people today? Her in Buchan its been mostly overcast with sunny spells - but dry and warm enough for short sleeves.

High winds and sandstorms here, low visibility but 35°C.
    Wet, windy and cold pretty well all over Wales and the Midlands AFAICS.
    SHITE in north London. Unredeemed SHITE
    The weather is diabolical in Hampshire. Driving rain and what sounds like gale-force winds too.

This could be kristallnacht for my vegetable patch.
    This is, I think, the autumn-winter-spring that finally tips me into buying a bolthole abroad. Portugal or Greece. Enough, now

So much grey, so much cold, so much rubbish
    Spend two weeks for two years in a property that you own in Portugal, worth €350 000 and you get a Golden Visa, and can escape the folly that the Brexiteers have inflicted on the rest of us. Apparently the language test for citizenship isn't too bad either.
    Greece's new income tax plan looks good, as well

"A recently introduced draft tax law in Greece states that foreign retirees who shift their tax residency to Greece will pay a flat tax rate of 7% for ten years. They expect the parliament to table the law this year. Foreign retirees will be subject to this taxation practice for all of their foreign incomes including pensions, investments, and business activities."

Sorted

https://www.propertywire.com/greeces-enticing-7-tax-rate-for-retirees/#:~:text=A recently introduced draft tax,table the law this year.&text=Meanwhile, the country seems to,residents and foreign tax residents.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    edited May 2021
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

How has the weather been for most people today? Her in Buchan its been mostly overcast with sunny spells - but dry and warm enough for short sleeves.

The weather is diabolical in Hampshire. Driving rain and what sounds like gale-force winds too.

This is, I think, the autumn-winter-spring that finally tips me into buying a bolthole abroad. Portugal or Greece. Enough, now

Spend two weeks for two years in a property that you own in Portugal, worth €350 000 and you get a Golden Visa, and can escape the folly that the Brexiteers have inflicted on the rest of us. Apparently the language test for citizenship isn't too bad either.

"A recently introduced draft tax law in Greece states that foreign retirees who shift their tax residency to Greece will pay a flat tax rate of 7% for ten years. They expect the parliament to table the law this year. Foreign retirees will be subject to this taxation practice for all of their foreign incomes including pensions, investments, and business activities."

Sorted

https://www.propertywire.com/greeces-enticing-7-tax-rate-for-retirees/#:~:text=A recently introduced draft tax,table the law this year.&text=Meanwhile, the country seems to,residents and foreign tax residents.
    Interesting. What's in it for Greece? Do they really want a lot of foreign retirees draining their already overstretched health services?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sorted

The joys of Freedom of Movement, and the European Demos! 🇬🇷🇪🇺🇬🇷🏖
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561

stodge said:

Battle? it won't be a battle. It will be a massacre.

Recent Texas Special election, Trump endorsed candidate came top. Followed by another Repub. Dems trailing.

NeverTrump candidate? hardly registered.

Also note that the Trump-endorsed candidate got 31% of the combined Republican vote. Not exactly evidence that all GOPers ready to march in total lockstep with Fearless Leader.

My own theory, is that Trump endorsed the Widow Wright because the smarter of his entourage told him that she was likely to win anyway.

Because while there were two former Trumpsky political appointees and a bunch of other pro-Trumpers in the race, she was the only pro-Trumper who'd been married to the former congressman. And voting for the widow is something of a Southern tradition (it's how Lindy Boggs got into the US House, for example).

Personally think that the scumbag robo-calls accusing her of murdering her husband for political gain also helped put a few points onto Susan Wright's margin over the rest of the field, Republican and Democratic.
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sorted

Interesting. What's in it for Greece? Do they really want a lot of retirees draining their already overstretched health services?
    The idea is - I think - that you will be tempted to buy something many years before you retire, so you can benefit from the other advantages, up to that point

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    What's with all the rain and wind today?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Ask question about a census that Trumpsky and his minions at the Census Bureau worked overtime to massage in THEIR favor? Not surprising, really, given his & their track record!
    Well, someone seemed to have changed it to suit an agenda. It could have been Trump's admin or it could have been Biden's.

I get your view will be it was Trump's but is there any evidence beyond "Uncle Joe is such a nice man, he wouldn't do a thing like that"? Given we have had one fairly brazen attempt to take a congressional seat off the declared winner, best to reserve judgement

With respect to the Census, that ship had already sailed, 100 days not enough time to shuffle the deck chairs.

And isn't Trumpsky still supposed to be the Secret President, using the Demented Vegetable in Chief as a front? In that case WHY would The Donald want to screw up things for his own side????
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

It's the 'chuckled for several seconds' that's really disturbing. Presumably that's Plan B if Alba are a complete bust.

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1389222621028421637?s=20

There is a worryingly high (for her) number of people with the a 'destroy Sturgeon' red button. Salmond is no doubt one of them, and I think the UK Government has the means too. She's completely compromised.
    What's the UK Gov's red button. As it stands I don't think launching a nuclear strike on Govanhill is on the table so I'm a bit clueless.
    Circumventing or changing current legal restrictions that currently prevent showing Sturgeon in a negative light. Possibly by extending parliamentary privilege to Holyrood.
    David Davis used Westminster parliamentary privilege to dump a bunch of Salmond material about Sturgeon and no one gave a shit.

Or are you going for the wackier end of the conspiracy theories?

My favourite one is the "Everyone knows that" Sturgeon is having an affair with the French Ambassador in Judy Murray's former home in the Bridge of Allan.

The yooniverse is so convinced it is true to such a degree that it is almost heartbreaking to see their earnestness.
    You ask me a question to which I can't give an answer.
    There is parliamentary privilege at Westminster. Last I checked it was stuffed full of people who hate Sturgeon's guts. Why are none of them dropping these widely known bombshells?

Could it be because they are made up fantasy?
  • Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Still fighting yesterday’s war I see. I realise how hard it is for you to let go.
    Nope, the Census is about 2022's war - the one in which the Dems will get absolutely slaughtered :)
    Wasn't that your prediction for the 2018? The one where the Dems took the House.
    No, I said the Republicans would hold the House and the Senate but I didn't say the Democrats would get slaughtered. I thought it would be tight.

Taking the view that actions speak louder than words, there seems to be a lot of unease on the Democrat side, even given the economic recovery. Cheri Bustos is stepping down from IL-17, which is unexpected given her status. Mark Kelly has also been taking swipes at Biden over the Border Crisis and he is up for re-election next year. Plus the TX-6 vote. It doesn't seem like a party confident on its prospects in 2022.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sorted

The joys of Freedom of Movement, and the European Demos! 🇬🇷🇪🇺🇬🇷🏖
    I just wish the Greeks would introduce the pan-European standard of bog-flushing loo-paper

Their system gets quite old quite quickly
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176
    Cyclefree said:

The weather gods revenge on whoever thought a bank holiday was a good idea at the start of may...
  • Options
    Ah, I see we are back at the "just asking questions" stage of our American politics discourse.

• Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Texas 6th CD is a bit more conservative that the ideal target for Dems in these parts, Trumpsky did win it by just 3% over Biden, but the late Mr Wright (husband of yesterday's top vote-getter) was 9% ahead of his Democratic challenger last fall.

And part of the Dem's problem yesterday was low turnout. Which will be much less of a problem in 2020 midterms.

That said, one other factoid from TX CD06 special election, was that the lone anti-Trump Republican hopeful, Michael Wood, got just 5% of the GOP vote and 3% of the total vote.
    Yes, the Never Trumpers are dust, not least due to what happened over at the Lincoln Project and all the scandals there plus Liz Cheney's antics which are p1ssing off a lot of GOPers (many of whom voted for her in the House GOP vote).

Get your point re Mr Wright / turnout but this is a seat where the Democrat should have at least got through to the final round. Plus Mrs Wright had Trump's endorsement, which suggests he may not have the polarising effect he had 6 months ago (FWIW, I think that is the case given his relative silence)
    Reason no Democrat made it into the runoff has less to do with Trumpsky & GOP, and more to do with Democrats screwing up, as I pontificated earlier this thread.

They fielded ten candidates! And progressives, labor and Blacks did NOT support the one with the best (read only) chance of making the runoff.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Ah, I see we are back at the "just asking questions" stage of our American politics discourse.

It's really funny because Sidney Powell recently admitted only really stupid people believed the election was stolen from Trump.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Texas 6th CD is a bit more conservative that the ideal target for Dems in these parts, Trumpsky did win it by just 3% over Biden, but the late Mr Wright (husband of yesterday's top vote-getter) was 9% ahead of his Democratic challenger last fall.

And part of the Dem's problem yesterday was low turnout. Which will be much less of a problem in 2020 midterms.

That said, one other factoid from TX CD06 special election, was that the lone anti-Trump Republican hopeful, Michael Wood, got just 5% of the GOP vote and 3% of the total vote.
    Yes, the Never Trumpers are dust, not least due to what happened over at the Lincoln Project and all the scandals there plus Liz Cheney's antics which are p1ssing off a lot of GOPers (many of whom voted for her in the House GOP vote).

Get your point re Mr Wright / turnout but this is a seat where the Democrat should have at least got through to the final round. Plus Mrs Wright had Trump's endorsement, which suggests he may not have the polarising effect he had 6 months ago (FWIW, I think that is the case given his relative silence)
    Yes, his silence is striking. I suppose the hope is that people will forget the concerted attempt to overturn democracy by violence and intimidation.
  • Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

With respect to the Census, that ship had already sailed, 100 days not enough time to shuffle the deck chairs.

And isn't Trumpsky still supposed to be the Secret President, using the Demented Vegetable in Chief as a front? In that case WHY would The Donald want to screw up things for his own side????
    Totally agree with you on that on the census. I suspect the differences are due to illegal immigrants and how they are proportioned. But, let's be honest, if it was flipped over and the Democrats were facing a reduced number of seat wins due to changes in the Census estimates, it would have been poured over by most on this site and used as an example of Trump's evil designs.
  • Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Reason no Democrat made it into the runoff has less to do with Trumpsky & GOP, and more to do with Democrats screwing up, as I pontificated earlier this thread.

They fielded ten candidates! And progressives, labor and Blacks did NOT support the one with the best (read only) chance of making the runoff.
    That's a fair point, it's more the fact though the combined Democrat candidates only got 36% of the vote.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Cyclefree said:

This is Sparta England!
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

No, I said the Republicans would hold the House and the Senate but I didn't say the Democrats would get slaughtered. I thought it would be tight.

Taking the view that actions speak louder than words, there seems to be a lot of unease on the Democrat side, even given the economic recovery. Cheri Bustos is stepping down from IL-17, which is unexpected given her status. Mark Kelly has also been taking swipes at Biden over the Border Crisis and he is up for re-election next year. Plus the TX-6 vote. It doesn't seem like a party confident on its prospects in 2022.

"It doesn't seem like a [Democratic] party confident on its prospects in 2022."

Confidence is NOT the issue, competence and focus are.

I think Texas CD06 is a warning buzzer for Democrats, at a time when Uncle Joe is doing pretty good in Our Nations Capital, considering.

AND WE NEED TO TAKE HEED.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Yes, his silence is striking. I suppose the hope is that people will forget the concerted attempt to overturn democracy by violence and intimidation.
    I think there is an element of that. Also, I suspect he knows that there is no point of running in 2024 because he would reignite opposition. Judging from his actions, he looks more content to be kingmaker.
  • Options

Alistair said:

It's really funny because Sidney Powell recently admitted only really stupid people believed the election was stolen from Trump.
    What, as opposed to having endless comments and suggestions that the US President was a Russian spy and was p1ssed on by Moscow call-girls?

Because that's not a nuts theory.....
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sorted

Interesting. What's in it for Greece? Do they really want a lot of foreign retirees draining their already overstretched health services?
    Think race to the bottom - but with personal taxes instead of company taxes. So they (they hope) get lots of oligarchs sipping coffee in the fashionable bits of Athens, before buying some yachts.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

One wonders why one bothered to be a Brexiter sometimes.
    Getting Scottish citizenship when they rejoin the EU might be a good alternative
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    What a match this is
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Alistair said:

What, as opposed to having endless comments and suggestions that the US President was a Russian spy and was p1ssed on by Moscow call-girls?

Just how many senior Dems publicly said that was true?

As opposed to the squillions of senior GOPers who said the election was stolen.
  • Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

"It doesn't seem like a [Democratic] party confident on its prospects in 2022."

Confidence is NOT the issue, competence and focus are.

I think Texas CD06 is a warning buzzer for Democrats, at a time when Uncle Joe is doing pretty good in Our Nations Capital, considering.

AND WE NEED TO TAKE HEED.
    Nothing is certain and there is a still a way to go. The US economy is also doing well. But the Democrats do need to take heed indeed. If anything, the school board result was a more interesting one in that it showed a complete backlash against CRT in the suburbs. Yes, only one vote and it's Texas but it is certainly one to watch,
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965
    Roger said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

One wonders why one bothered to be a Brexiter sometimes.
    Getting Scottish citizenship when they rejoin the EU might be a good alternative
    Sunshine in Portugal or Greece v Rain and grey in Scotland - I know what I would prefer.
  • Options

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

So what was the first impeachment about?
  • Options
    ping said:

kinabalu said:

ping said:

Selby is value, IMO @1.09

Should be 1/16 by my calculation

I have 18/15 Selby correct score @ 12s which is starting to vibrate.
    Looking good.

I microtraded my way to a tiny green on selby +£29

I just find the odds a bit weird.

Murphy needs to win 4 frames in a row. Evens to win next frame.

Match odds should be evens^4

Eg, Current odds, right now should be ~1/7 / 7/1

Instead 1/5 / 5/1
    No, you're right. The market gives a premium for "momentum" which imo is overstated.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sorted

Greece is short of babies (1.35 per woman, when R is 2.1) not old people. Like most of Europe.

• Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

That's a fair point, it's more the fact though the combined Democrat candidates only got 36% of the vote.
    With rotten turnout, for which I think Democratic powers-that-be, both nationally and in the Lone Star State, bear some responsibility IMHO.

Though fact is, at the present juncture, Republicans are more energized than Democrats, whereas last fall the intensity level was even-steven. That is an argument in your favor IF lasts through this year into next.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

Cyclefree said:

The weather gods revenge on whoever thought a bank holiday was a good idea at the start of may...
    Nothing to do but lie in the bath wondering what the scene with Buckles forced to watch Lakewell’s murder in prison was all about...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    Discretion needed there Mr. Murphy.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204

Cyclefree said:

Michael Foot I believe.
  • Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

With rotten turnout, for which I think Democratic powers-that-be, both nationally and in the Lone Star State, bear some responsibility IMHO.

Though fact is, at the present juncture, Republicans are more energized than Democrats, whereas last fall the intensity level was even-steven. That is an argument in your favor IF lasts through this year into next.
    In my humble (and in many cases wrong) opinion, I think the Democrats at the moment are giving the Republican base a lot of petrol / gasoline to fire up their base. The impression I get is that many people thought a Biden win would lead to a period of calm when it came to the endless cultural debate. In fact, it seems to have accelerated it. I think that is a mistake on the Democrats' side. As you said, the mid-terms are about turnout. The GOP is fired up. The progressives are also fired up but they are less in numbers. And the swing voters don't seem particularly taken by their agenda.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

It's the 'chuckled for several seconds' that's really disturbing. Presumably that's Plan B if Alba are a complete bust.

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1389222621028421637?s=20

There is a worryingly high (for her) number of people with the a 'destroy Sturgeon' red button. Salmond is no doubt one of them, and I think the UK Government has the means too. She's completely compromised.
    What's the UK Gov's red button. As it stands I don't think launching a nuclear strike on Govanhill is on the table so I'm a bit clueless.
    Circumventing or changing current legal restrictions that currently prevent showing Sturgeon in a negative light. Possibly by extending parliamentary privilege to Holyrood.
    David Davis used Westminster parliamentary privilege to dump a bunch of Salmond material about Sturgeon and no one gave a shit.

Or are you going for the wackier end of the conspiracy theories?

My favourite one is the "Everyone knows that" Sturgeon is having an affair with the French Ambassador in Judy Murray's former home in the Bridge of Allan.

The yooniverse is so convinced it is true to such a degree that it is almost heartbreaking to see their earnestness.
    You ask me a question to which I can't give an answer.
    There is parliamentary privilege at Westminster. Last I checked it was stuffed full of people who hate Sturgeon's guts. Why are none of them dropping these widely known bombshells?

Could it be because they are made up fantasy?
    I have said nothing about the rumours that you've mentioned.

As a purely theoretical exercise, compromising the FM's position by revealing information that is embargoed outside parliament, is no small thing, it would be a highly personal attack, and it would not be something that an MP suddenly decided to do because they felt like it. As for a Government choosing to remain silent, there might be any number of reasons to keep a compromised political opponent in place.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sorted

Greece is short of babies (1.35 per woman, when R is 2.1) not old people. Like most of Europe.

I am, if called upon, willing to fertilise their nubile Hellenic womenkind, saving on test tubes = win-win for Greece
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

Nothing to do with getting pissed on by Moscow call girls.

But remind me what Trump's campaign chairman was charged with and convicted on?

Or how about George Papadopoulos, Trump’s former foreign policy advisor, who was sentenced to 14 days in prison with a year of supervised release, for lying to FBI agents about his contacts with Russian intermediaries during the 2016 campaign?

Or how about Michael Cohen, Trump’s former personal lawyer, who was sent to prison in 2018 for tax evasion, fraud and lying to Congress about his dealings with Russia on behalf of the president, and has pleaded guilty to campaign finance violations for making hush money payments to women to keep quiet allegations Trump engaged in extramarital affairs?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Bookmarked.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Totally agree with you on that on the census. I suspect the differences are due to illegal immigrants and how they are proportioned. But, let's be honest, if it was flipped over and the Democrats were facing a reduced number of seat wins due to changes in the Census estimates, it would have been poured over by most on this site and used as an example of Trump's evil designs.
    There are always differences between the estimates and the actual census. Absence of dif would be suspicious NOT presence.

As for illegals, well they are people too. And according to US Constitution, US House is apportioned according to total population.

Trumpsky & you and whomever may NOT like it, but so what? Just chalk it down to the fact that George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, etc, etc were woke as woke can be!
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

I think there is an element of that. Also, I suspect he knows that there is no point of running in 2024 because he would reignite opposition. Judging from his actions, he looks more content to be kingmaker.
    Good to hear. I'm well short of him for WH24 - nomination and presidency.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

Not Trump being pissed on by call girls.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

I think that is the right call. There is probably a lot of money to be made on the short side for the Republican field - I'd be shorting Cruz, Rubio and Hawley, also someone like Dan Crenshaw (amazing story but his eyesight has deteriorated and, for one, he never would be able to take a flight because of the risk he would go totally blind).
  • Options
    Breaking news tonight.

The Telegraph understands that Mr Steele, through his company Orbis Business Intelligence, continued supplying raw intelligence to the federal authorities in the US.

The second dossier contains raw intelligence that makes further claims of Russian meddling in the US election and also references claims regarding the existence of further sex tapes. The second dossier is reliant on separate sources to those who supplied information for the first reports.

The fact the FBI continued to receive intelligence from Mr Steele, who ran MI6’s Russia desk from 2006 to 2009 before setting up Orbis, is potentially significant because it shows his work was apparently still being taken seriously after Mr Trump took hold of the reins of power.

The Mueller inquiry led to a series of convictions including the jailing of Paul Manafort, Trump’s campaign chairman. Others convicted included George Papadopoulos, an adviser to the Trump campaign; and Roger Stone, a long time ally and former adviser.

Intelligence gathered by Mr Steele for his second dossier is understood to include further details of Mr Manafort’s alleged Russian contacts.

Earlier this month, news sources in the US reported that Konstantin Kilimnik, an associate of Mr Manafort, had passed Trump campaign polling and strategy information to Russian intelligence sources.

The FBI is offering a $250,000 reward for "information leading to the arrest of" Konstantin Kilimnik, an associate of Mr Manafort.

The US Treasury has placed Mr Kilimnik under sanctions, describing him as a "known Russian Intelligence Services agent".

The Treasury report states: "During the 2016 US presidential election campaign, Kilimnik provided the Russian Intelligence Services with sensitive information on polling and campaign strategy."

It is understood that Mr Steele believes the targeting of Mr Kilimnik shows collusion between the Trump presidential campaign and Russian intelligence services.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/03/mi6-spy-christopher-steele-produced-second-dossier-donald-trump/
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sorted

I am, if called upon, willing to fertilise their nubile Hellenic womenkind, saving on test tubes = win-win for Greece
    "She came from Greece
    She had a thirst for..... Middle Aged Men?"

Maybe not.
  • Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

There are always differences between the estimates and the actual census. Absence of dif would be suspicious NOT presence.

As for illegals, well they are people too. And according to US Constitution, US House is apportioned according to total population.

Trumpsky & you and whomever may NOT like it, but so what? Just chalk it down to the fact that George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, etc, etc were woke as woke can be!
    "Just chalk it down to the fact that George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, etc, etc were woke as woke can be!"

A lot of the current woke crowd would disagree with you on that one SeaShanty!
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

"Just chalk it down to the fact that George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, etc, etc were woke as woke can be!"

I know - the irony!
  • Options

Breaking news tonight.

The Telegraph understands that Mr Steele, through his company Orbis Business Intelligence, continued supplying raw intelligence to the federal authorities in the US.

The second dossier contains raw intelligence that makes further claims of Russian meddling in the US election and also references claims regarding the existence of further sex tapes. The second dossier is reliant on separate sources to those who supplied information for the first reports.

The fact the FBI continued to receive intelligence from Mr Steele, who ran MI6’s Russia desk from 2006 to 2009 before setting up Orbis, is potentially significant because it shows his work was apparently still being taken seriously after Mr Trump took hold of the reins of power.

The Mueller inquiry led to a series of convictions including the jailing of Paul Manafort, Trump’s campaign chairman. Others convicted included George Papadopoulos, an adviser to the Trump campaign; and Roger Stone, a long time ally and former adviser.

Intelligence gathered by Mr Steele for his second dossier is understood to include further details of Mr Manafort’s alleged Russian contacts.

Earlier this month, news sources in the US reported that Konstantin Kilimnik, an associate of Mr Manafort, had passed Trump campaign polling and strategy information to Russian intelligence sources.

The FBI is offering a $250,000 reward for "information leading to the arrest of" Konstantin Kilimnik, an associate of Mr Manafort.

The US Treasury has placed Mr Kilimnik under sanctions, describing him as a "known Russian Intelligence Services agent".

The Treasury report states: "During the 2016 US presidential election campaign, Kilimnik provided the Russian Intelligence Services with sensitive information on polling and campaign strategy."

It is understood that Mr Steele believes the targeting of Mr Kilimnik shows collusion between the Trump presidential campaign and Russian intelligence services.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/03/mi6-spy-christopher-steele-produced-second-dossier-donald-trump/

Oh God, not this sh1t again......
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

What a match this is

Yes. I landed the correct score but tbh wanted Murphy to win.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

But that he was a Russian spy. And how many times did we hear from senior Democrats that the 2016 election was effectively stolen due to Russian interference?
  • Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

I know - the irony!
    :)
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

But that he was a Russian spy. And how many times did we hear from senior Democrats that the 2016 election was effectively stolen due to Russian interference?
    No, the impeachment was not that he was a Russian spy.

Try again.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    edited May 2021
    Quiz question for the future.
    A football league team won the FA Trophy today (the FA Cup for non-league teams). Harrogate Town won the 2019-20 delayed final just under a year after being promoted to the league.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

rcs1000 said:

Tomorrow is the 21st anniversary of the last time the LibDems won a Westminster seat from the Conservatives (Romsey).

Eh?

Richmond Park
    and that one in Wales
    A discussed below, no official Conservative candidate in Richmond - and "that one in Wales" was intended to give Boris a bloody nose.
    Your question was "won a seat from the Conservatives", and in both those cases the LDs did.

Also worth remembering that one would only expect the LDs to win from the Conservatives when two stars are in alignment:

1. The Conservatives would need to be in power & the LDs not
    2. The LibDems would be the obvious challenger

One would not have expected any LD gains from the Conservatives between 1997 and 2010, as Labour was in power. (Instead you got the LDs gaining from the Labour Party.) And between 2010 and 2015, the two parties were in coalition, so hard to get the protest vote out.

Which leaves the period from 2015 to 2021. During which time there were two by-elections in previously Conservative seats, when the LDs were second.

Both of which were LD gains.
  • Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

Nothing to do with getting pissed on by Moscow call girls.

But remind me what Trump's campaign chairman was charged with and convicted on?

Or how about George Papadopoulos, Trump’s former foreign policy advisor, who was sentenced to 14 days in prison with a year of supervised release, for lying to FBI agents about his contacts with Russian intermediaries during the 2016 campaign?

Or how about Michael Cohen, Trump’s former personal lawyer, who was sent to prison in 2018 for tax evasion, fraud and lying to Congress about his dealings with Russia on behalf of the president, and has pleaded guilty to campaign finance violations for making hush money payments to women to keep quiet allegations Trump engaged in extramarital affairs?
    As I have just said to @Alistair, various senior Democrats were going around saying the 2016 election was stolen by Russia because they wanted "their " man in the White House. Apart from the small fact of why the f*ck the US Intelligence apparatus would ever let a Russian spy take over the US Presidency, it was clear from the start that Steele was obsessed with making sure Trump would not win and he was being paid by Hilary Clinton's campaign to supply the "evidence" (in the loosest word), a fact that the FBI failed to mention when they got their FISA warrant.

The Democrats couldn't accept they lost the 2016 election. Hence why all the shit. And plenty of people on the Democrat side, as well as on this site, were very happy to just accept it was all true including the call girls p1ssing.

• Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sorted

They get people coming and spending their pensions in Greece. That's a nice steady flow of capital coming from the UK or Germany or Sweden that's going into the local Greek economy.

Interestingly, the Greek government doesn't subsidise healthcare that much: spending is just 2.8% of GDP.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

Try again.
    No Alistair, everyone knows that the 2019 impeachment was just because the Democrats couldn't get what they wanted from the Mueller report and so were grasping around for anything to justify going to trial. Ukraine happened to be convenient.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Mark Kelly is correctly playing to the concerns of his constituents. It would be political suicide for either him or Sistema not to back proper border security.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Re what we were discussing the other day about Grenfell and the construction industry - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/toxic-and-dysfunctional-industry-in-race-to-the-bottom-kmd8n7ct9

A summary: "“The largest of the many problems in the industry is the broken business model that promotes a race to the bottom in standards. Taken together that is a toxic equation.”

From an initial reading it sounds very similar to what happened in finance - the obsession with making money to the exclusion of all else has resulted in appalling risk management and a poor culture and nothing will change until the industry realises it has to change. Forcing it to pay up for Grenfell might have kickstarted that change. Instead it has been let off the hook.

Police
    The construction industry
    Finance
    The Post Office
    The NHS
    The press
    Charities
    Churches

All of these and others have suffered repeated scandals over the years, in some cases, over decades. All of them have to a greater or lesser extent been in denial of the extent of the problems and what is really needed to effect real change for the better.

We are far too complacent, far too ready to accept the second and third rate, far too willing to pat ourselves on the back for past glories, far too willing to entrust our governance to fundamentally frivolous and unserious individuals, far too willing to sneer at the incompetences and failings of others instead of addressing the beams in our own eyes. Until we do, nothing much will change for the better.

The problem I saw regarding the cladding at Grenfell is that the official information looked fine. For me the comparison is VW emissions. The systems for design of buildings is now so complicated that detailed analysis need to be done by engineers. If the information they are using is wrong - design error, product fraud, incompatible designs - then the end result will not be correct. Even those employed to supervise these sort of standards for investors, and I used to work for such a consultant years ago, are reliant on the professional competence of others.

The best people to speak to are the site foremen. I remember my first time on a building site on work experience and the site foreman got into a row with the surveyor I was with because the drawings whilst attractive, were impossible to build!
    I am quite interested in construction, partly as a result of building a house for the last few years, partly because one of my children's godparents was a builder who taught me quite a lot about how houses work, materials, how to build things etc and partly because of much husband's profession. The builder learnt the old-fashioned way, through a proper apprenticeship and his big beef was that too many people called themselves builders but simply did not have the skills to build houses properly. His other beef was with clients who concentrated on the look and decoration but did not want to spend money on stuff like roofs, plumbing, proper insulation - all the stuff you can't see but which makes a house work well. He said that meant they tended to go for cheap quotes and also made them prey to every type of conman going.

Having stripped two houses back to the bare bones, it is fascinating to see how they are built and when you see what is involved you realise why it costs - if you want to do it properly. But, curiously, for a property-mad country, we focus too much on the superficial - kitchens and wallpaper - and not enough on the structural stuff. It might even serve as a metaphor for our attitude to many other things as well.
    When we bought our house in Socal we discovered that they had never bolted the house to the foundation slab… the cheapskate in me thought that it had worked for 80 years in an earthquake zone… but then thought better if it and paid the $10k extra the builder wanted…
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Mark Kelly is correctly playing to the concerns of his constituents. It would be political suicide for either him or Sistema not to back proper border security.
    Totally, and he is right. But it doesn't suggest he thinks Biden's agenda is such a slam dunk that it will sweep him to victory next year.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

Try again.
    No Alistair, everyone knows that the 2019 impeachment was just because the Democrats couldn't get what they wanted from the Mueller report and so were grasping around for anything to justify going to trial. Ukraine happened to be convenient.
    Mueller went on live TV and begged Congress to impeach Trump for collusion . Begged them.

And they didn't. They completely I gored the Mueller report despite the devestaing case it laid out against Trump.

A report which stated

“We assess Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the US presidential election,"..... "Russia’s goals were to undermine public faith in the US democratic process, denigrate Secretary Clinton, and harm her electability and potential presidency. We further assess Putin and the Russian Government developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump.”

Multiple members of Trump's team were prosecuted for actions related to Colluding with Russia.

Yet Congress did not impeach for anything to do with Russia.

Despite this massive report saying the Trump campaign colluded with Russia and loads of them going to jail.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sorted

So they're offering tax breaks to, er... retirees.

Have they lost their marbles?
    Retirees have money and will spend it..
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    MrEd said:

You have a blind spot about the size of the planet Jupiter when it comes to Trump.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

Try again.
    He used the power of his office and federal funds in an attempt to extort foreign assistance in smearing a political opponent. No biggie.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

I don't remember Clinton going around and giving speeches repeatedly claiming the election had been stolen. And I don't remember belief that the Russians had stolen the election being a litmus test for Democratic candidates. Indeed, Ms Clinton wrote a book about the many things she'd got wrong. And she didn't tarry to concede either.

Of course, I may be misremembering.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Totally, and he is right. But it doesn't suggest he thinks Biden's agenda is such a slam dunk that it will sweep him to victory next year.
    Just as Trump was constrained by Murkowski and Collins, Biden is constrained by Sistema, Manchin and Kelly. All three know that they are in either Purple or Red States and need to vote accordingly.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

I don't remember Clinton going around and giving speeches repeatedly claiming the election had been stolen. And I don't remember belief that the Russians had stolen the election being a litmus test for Democratic candidates. Indeed, Ms Clinton wrote a book about the many things she'd got wrong. And she didn't tarry to concede either.

Let me jog your memory...

https://news.yahoo.com/hillary-clinton-maintains-2016-election-160716779.html
  • Options
    My prediction before the match was either a 3 or 4 frame win for Selby. Wish I'd put a bet on it now.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

Let me jog your memory...

https://news.yahoo.com/hillary-clinton-maintains-2016-election-160716779.html
    She conceded. Trump never did. Therein lies the difference.
  • Options
    glw said:

MrEd said:

You have a blind spot about the size of the planet Jupiter when it comes to Trump.
    Not necessarily. He has plenty of faults and he should have accepted he lost in November and walked away without all the sh1t. But the stuff on Russia was just a clear attempt by a party that could not accept it had lost in 2016 to accept the result.

If you read the stuff about the Steele dossier, who paid for it and what was his "evidence", there is no way that would be accepted in a court of law. He hated Trump and grasped onto anything that would back that.
  • Options
    Have just found a dime inside my sock.

Believe this speaks to the disgraceful state of my personal housekeeping. Think I stepped on a dime after getting out of the shower this morning, it stuck to the bottom of my foot, and the rest is history.

OR perhaps my toes are turning into a profit center?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965
    Those Mr Ed predictions again

Fox shouldn’t have called AZ, Trump will win it
    WRONG

Nevada will go to Trump
    WRONG

Virginia is in play
    WRONG BY AN ABSOLUTE MILE

Trump will win Potus 2020
    WRONG

The GOP will hold the House 2018
    WRONG

The Dems will get battered in the 2022 midterms
    PENDING

• Options
    MrEd said:

glw said:

MrEd said:

Not necessarily. He has plenty of faults and he should have accepted he lost in November and walked away without all the sh1t. But the stuff on Russia was just a clear attempt by a party that could not accept it had lost in 2016 to accept the result.

If you read the stuff about the Steele dossier, who paid for it and what was his "evidence", there is no way that would be accepted in a court of law. He hated Trump and grasped onto anything that would back that.
    The US government was already investigating the Trump campaign BEFORE they got their first look at the dossier. Stick the dossier in the bin and you still have the US itself investigating Trump's campaign, and getting warnings from foreign intelligence services about close connections between the Trump campaign and Russian intelligence agents. Why do you ignore this? Are you ignorant or a crank?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Just topped up on lab in Hartlepool

Modest stakes
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

I think that is the right call. There is probably a lot of money to be made on the short side for the Republican field - I'd be shorting Cruz, Rubio and Hawley, also someone like Dan Crenshaw (amazing story but his eyesight has deteriorated and, for one, he never would be able to take a flight because of the risk he would go totally blind).
    Ok, interesting. I've done Cruz for a fair amount. As if. Hawley too, but not for much. Rubio's a bit big (price not the man). Crenshaw likewise.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

Try again.
    Mueller went on live TV and begged Congress to impeach Trump for collusion . Begged them.

And they didn't. They completely I gored the Mueller report despite the devestaing case it laid out against Trump.

A report which stated

“We assess Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the US presidential election,"..... "Russia’s goals were to undermine public faith in the US democratic process, denigrate Secretary Clinton, and harm her electability and potential presidency. We further assess Putin and the Russian Government developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump.”

Multiple members of Trump's team were prosecuted for actions related to Colluding with Russia.

Yet Congress did not impeach for anything to do with Russia.

Despite this massive report saying the Trump campaign colluded with Russia and loads of them going to jail.
    A couple of points:

All those quotes from the Mueller report show Russia's actions, not Trump's.

Yes, several members were prosecuted and they appealed their convictions on the grounds they were forced or misled into pleading guilty. Look at the appeals of Michael Flynn and what happened there.

But it really comes down to a common sense point - if the US Intelligence community truly believed Trump was in the pocket of the Russians, why would they let him gain office? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    My only question tho MrEd on the Russia stuff is of he has a actually read any of the Mueller report or only other people's summaries?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    It's getting a bit irritating how both sides are always talking down their chances of winning Hartlepool. It's not true. They're just doing it so they can say how amazing it is if they do win. Expectation management.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Ok, interesting. I've done Cruz for a fair amount. As if. Hawley too, but not for much. Rubio's a bit big (price not the man). Crenshaw likewise.
    Keep an eye on it for sure. My personal view is that DeSantis is going to be hard to beat but it is possible. However, I think it will be hard for a Senate GOP candidate to win given the lack of control.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1389335757169496074

What do we think? Labour lead in Hartlepool?
  • Options
    glw said:

MrEd said:

glw said:

MrEd said:

The US government was already investigating the Trump campaign BEFORE they got their first look at the dossier. Stick the dossier in the bin and you still have the US itself investigating Trump's campaign, and getting warnings from foreign intelligence services about close connections between the Trump campaign and Russian intelligence agents. Why do you ignore this? Are you ignorant or a crank?
    A bit harsh @glw but let's flip it around - if the US Government was taking it seriously before the election, why would they allow someone who would be deemed to be a serious security risk take office.

PS I don't usually do this but just to check where you stand on the crank / ignorant scale, do you believe Steele's dossier is true and that he got p1ssed upon? And do you have a Robert Mueller votive candle in your bedroom? *

* joking on the latter but people did have them
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Cruz is an easy sell, because (a) he isn't very likeable, (b) he's not got any kind of connection to the people Trump connects with, (c) he's neither close enough to Trump to get his full endorsement, nor far enough away to get people who dislike Trump.

Rubio was a dreadful candidate in 2016, and hasn't improved since.

Hawley has really hitched his wagon to Trump, and has the best shot of the three of them.

BUT

If I were to tip anyone it would be Rick Scott or De Santis, both of whom can appeal beyond the Trump base, while still attracting them.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Nothing to do but lie in the bath wondering what the scene with Buckles forced to watch Lakewell’s murder in prison was all about...
    A warning of what happens to "rats".
  • Options
    Alistair said:

My only question tho MrEd on the Russia stuff is of he has a actually read any of the Mueller report or only other people's summaries?

Hands up, I have not read the whole lot. I really couldn't spare the time or the willpower.

However, I go back to my main argument - why would the US Intelligence community allow someone who they seriously thought was in Putin's pocket to be President?
  • Options
    Seattle Time.com - Bill and Melinda Gates ending their marriage

Bill and Melinda Gates announced Monday via Twitter they are ending their marriage, while vowing to continue to work together on the huge foundation they built.

“After a great deal of thought and a lot of work on our relationship, we have made the decision to end our marriage. Over the last 27 years, we have raised three incredible children and built a foundation that works all over the world to enable all people to lead healthy productive lives,” their message read in part.

“We ask for space and privacy for our family as we begin to navigate this new life.”

Addressing the future of the foundation they established in 2000 and grew — using both his Microsoft fortune and contributions from the likes of Warren Buffett — to an endowment pegged in 2019 at nearly $50 billion, the Twitter message added: “We continue to share a belief in that mission and will continue our work together at the foundation, but we no longer believe we can grow together as a couple in this next phase of our lives.”

Gates co-founded Microsoft with Paul Allen in 1975 and was its CEO until 2000. In March 2020, he severed his last role with the company, stepping down as a board member in order to “dedicate more time to his philanthropic priorities including global health, development, education, and his increasing engagement in tackling climate change,” as the company put it.

They were married in 1994 after meeting at Microsoft, where Melinda was an associate product manager. In a 2013 interview, they talked about their marriage and work together.
  • Options

Hello Correct - I'll take a bet, that it shows a massive Tory lead.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    MrEd said:

Damn I’ve just topped up on lab

How confident are you?
  • Options
    Ron DeSantis has just told cities and municipalities that they can no longer have their own Covid restrictions.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

It might not a Hartlepool poll at all. It could be Scotland. It could be UK. It could even be about Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

Cruz is an easy sell, because (a) he isn't very likeable, (b) he's not got any kind of connection to the people Trump connects with, (c) he's neither close enough to Trump to get his full endorsement, nor far enough away to get people who dislike Trump.

Hawley has really hitched his wagon to Trump, and has the best shot of the three of them.

BUT

If I were to tip anyone it would be Rick Scott or De Santis, both of whom can appeal beyond the Trump base, while still attracting them.
    I'd agree re Hawley having the best chance but he is a bit odd and I think he has not really got the base in the party.

I haven't thought of Scott and I think the Florida angle is a big plus for any GOP candidate given Trump is living there. I do think DeSantis is in the best position for now just because he is a Governor and can do things (and he has been ticking boxes on three fronts for many GOP voters - opening up Florida, taking on the media, and taking on the tech companies).
  • Options
    MrEd said:

A bit harsh @glw but let's flip it around - if the US Government was taking it seriously before the election, why would they allow someone who would be deemed to be a serious security risk take office.

PS I don't usually do this but just to check where you stand on the crank / ignorant scale, do you believe Steele's dossier is true and that he got p1ssed upon? And do you have a Robert Mueller votive candle in your bedroom? *

* joking on the latter but people did have them

Investigating political candidates is incredibly sensitive, there was probably also an expectation that Clinton would win anyway. The Steele dossier is probably mostly true as little of it has been debunked, but that doesn't really matter the US govnerment was already investigating the Trump campaign, some of his associates were under investigation before Trump even declared his candidacy.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

BUT

Rick Scott is currently eating Ron De Santis's dust.

Gov. De Santis is in prime position (with legislative majorities) to throw big helpings of red meat to the Trumpsky basis, for example making it harder to vote in the Sunshine State.

Rick Scott has no such luck, all he can do his call Uncle Joe a danger to the Republic. Yawn.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

It might not a Hartlepool poll at all. It could be Scotland. It could be UK. It could even be about Northern Ireland.
    No suspicious betting activity that I can see….
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Andy_JS said:

My prediction before the match was either a 3 or 4 frame win for Selby. Wish I'd put a bet on it now.

Smug city in my case. 12/1 for 18/15 to Selby, which seemed generous given he always wins his finals by about that.
This discussion has been closed.