Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Are there any honest Scottish Nationalists? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited April 2021 in General
imageAre there any honest Scottish Nationalists? – politicalbetting.com

In 2014, when the last once-in-a-generation Scottish independence referendum was held, the Scottish government under the then First Minister Alex Salmond published what it claimed was a comprehensive plan for how Scotland’s future as an independent nation would play out.  It was, in truth, a rather curious document, a mixture of high constitutional aspiration, a technical document glossing-over most of the difficulties, and a party manifesto, including a fair smattering of comically trivial measures which independence would unlock (“use Scotland’s levy to promote Scotland’s produce”).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    QTWTAIN
  • Options
    ICYMI:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q1nIPrEifNI

Klopp’s comments about Neville were frankly a disgrace.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    My word.

I hope Richard has put in a good, sturdy helmet this morning.

Many ballistic turnips will be incoming from Ayrshire.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

No Jurgen made good points. It's not fair to have a go at the players and manager in a situation like this and generating more heat is not what's needed. His comments about 'Never Walk Alone' are entirely appropriate. It's not for a rentagob like Neville to pitch in on something so sacred to Liverpool, for whom he never played.

Spot on by Klopp.

I don't expect you to listen. You seem to have gone all ranty and acronymy. But when you calm down you might come to understand Jurgen's points.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    The SNP appeal to the brave heart.

The reason they lost in 2014, and the reason they will lose again, is their inability to answer those questions the head must. On here, for years prior to the referendum we had been picking apart those issues the SNP would not address. This header stands in that fine tradition.

On the big structural issues, none has got better for the SNP since 2014 - save for their sense of grievance. Brexit, Catalonia, oil, vaccines, education, their ability to actually run a country that doesn't look like a shabby banana republic - all have put bigger question marks against the case for independence than existed last time round.

Thank goodness that sense of grievance tops all, eh?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

No Jurgen made good points. It's not fair to have a go at the players and manager in a situation like this and generating more heat is not what's needed. His comments about 'Never Walk Alone' are entirely appropriate. It's not for a rentagob like Neville to pitch in on something so sacred to Liverpool, for whom he never played.

Spot on by Klopp.

I don't expect you to listen. You seem to have gone all ranty and acronymy. But when you calm down you might come to understand Jurgen's points.
    Neville has been equally - if not more - critical of United.

Liverpool like to think they are special. YNWA is part of that. Klopp is on the Left of politics. And unfortunately for him, his team were playing last night.

I hope the rest of the scum get equally severe treatment in the coming days.
  • Options

Slogan - ‘where there’s a will, I am finding a way.’
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

Liverpool like to think they are special. YNWA is part of that. Klopp is on the Left of politics. And unfortunately for him, his team were playing last night.

Klopp said about as much as he could, while still avoiding tea and biscuits with the chairman this morning.

The managers and players learned about this in the media, so determined were the chairmen to avoid their plans leaking.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

Klopp said about as much as he could, while still avoiding tea and biscuits with the chairman this morning.

The managers and players learned about this in the media, so determined were the chairmen to avoid their plans leaking.
    It’s very simple and the fact they’ve only just found out is no excuse. What is proposed is utterly reprehensible. And if the players refuse to play this would be killed stone dead.

I don’t begrudge footballers earning big money. But with it comes responsibility. The music has stopped and their time to act has come.

By continuing to put on the shirt, they are complicit in this. They are as bad as the owners.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

I'm a federalist out campaigning for a federalist solution (LibDems) so despite accusations that I am a Sturgeon fanboi I am not. But there are some hard truths for both sides:

1. The Union in its current form is unsustainable. We either completely redraw the UK so that power is devolved to reflect the 4 home nations and their differences of opinion, or it tears itself apart.
    2. As the current Brexit settlement doesn't work, it doesn't pose a risk to Scottish independence. Arguing that Scotland cannot leave the UK customs union without chaos isn't an argument when the UK government has expelled NI from the UK customs union. The government stuck a customs border down the Irish Sea and has had to drop large chunks of it because stupid. The solution that evolves for NI will also be a solution for Scotland
    3. EU membership is unlikely to be a problem. Scotland was a member until very recently and would be far more aligned than many ascension countries have been.
    4. EU membership will almost certainly come with strings attached. Such as the Euro. This shouldn't be an impediment to independence as frankly its a far better solution than to continue the Sterling union, but the SNP don't want to talk about the currency.

How to guarantee that Scotland says "bugger this"? Do as HYUFD urges and make the union one based upon English law rather than Scottish democratic consent. Whether you support independence or not, the suggestion that the Scottish people no longer have a democratic say is profoundly troubling.

It isn’t whether it could join the EU - it’s how long it would take. Ten years is a probable timeframe, which would include five years of transitional arrangements, the worst of all worlds for the Scottish economy.

As for the Euro being better than the pound, that seems unlikely given Scotland’s trade imbalances.

ETA - some commentary here:

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2021/03/31/scotlands-route-to-eu-membership/
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

The reason they lost in 2014, and the reason they will lose again, is their inability to answer those questions the head must. On here, for years prior to the referendum we had been picking apart those issues the SNP would not address. This header stands in that fine tradition.

On the big structural issues, none has got better for the SNP since 2014 - save for their sense of grievance. Brexit, Catalonia, oil, vaccines, education, their ability to actually run a country that doesn't look like a shabby banana republic - all have put bigger question marks against the case for independence than existed last time round.

Self awareness failure; it must be early.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I agree that Scottish Independence is like Brexit - in the sense they are both perfectly, 100% viable if that is what the voters choose.

It isn't a "myth" that the UK can make up any disruption that Brexit causes with Europe with trade with the rest of the world. Indeed that's already the case now.

https://twitter.com/EuroBriefing/status/1384039236618256384
    "my latest column in which I make the surely uncontroversial claim that Brexit has been, and is likely to be, a macroeconomic non-event."

While its certainly true that Scottish Independence is like Brexit on steroids, since Brexit is not the bad thing that Nabavi has convinced himself it is, that's not a problem for Scotland.

Yes Scotland is more tightly integrated with the UK today. That is true. Yes, Scottish Independence will cause more disruption than Brexit did, that is also true. But the Scots have not just more to lose but more to gain in controlling their own destiny.

The UK could replace any disruption with the EU either domestically or with the approximately 7.2 billion people around the globe who aren't in the EU.
    Scotland can replace any disruption with the rest of the UK either domestically, or with the same 7.2 billion, or with the 440 million people of the EU.

Scottish Independence is like Brexit on steroids yes: More risk, but also more opportunities.

Don't be blinded to the opportunities of both.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    ydoethur said:

I'm a federalist out campaigning for a federalist solution (LibDems) so despite accusations that I am a Sturgeon fanboi I am not. But there are some hard truths for both sides:

1. The Union in its current form is unsustainable. We either completely redraw the UK so that power is devolved to reflect the 4 home nations and their differences of opinion, or it tears itself apart.
    2. As the current Brexit settlement doesn't work, it doesn't pose a risk to Scottish independence. Arguing that Scotland cannot leave the UK customs union without chaos isn't an argument when the UK government has expelled NI from the UK customs union. The government stuck a customs border down the Irish Sea and has had to drop large chunks of it because stupid. The solution that evolves for NI will also be a solution for Scotland
    3. EU membership is unlikely to be a problem. Scotland was a member until very recently and would be far more aligned than many ascension countries have been.
    4. EU membership will almost certainly come with strings attached. Such as the Euro. This shouldn't be an impediment to independence as frankly its a far better solution than to continue the Sterling union, but the SNP don't want to talk about the currency.

How to guarantee that Scotland says "bugger this"? Do as HYUFD urges and make the union one based upon English law rather than Scottish democratic consent. Whether you support independence or not, the suggestion that the Scottish people no longer have a democratic say is profoundly troubling.

It isn’t whether it could join the EU - it’s how long it would take. Ten years is a probable timeframe, which would include five years of transitional arrangements, the worst of all worlds for the Scottish economy.

As for the Euro being better than the pound, that seems unlikely given Scotland’s trade imbalances.

Wouldn't you be better off telling the Lib Dems to vote tactically and therefore vote Tory...
  • Options
    edited April 2021

ydoethur said:

Wouldn't you be better off telling the Lib Dems to vote tactically and therefore vote Tory...
    I don’t know. Would I? Given I would have voted Lib Dem if they had stood in Cannock in 2019 and on their withdrawal publicly tore up my ballot paper, I’m not sure what your point is.

The issue is about facts. I was pointing out what the facts are and why they are a problem.

The referendum if/when it happens will be about emotion, and any facts will be lied about or glossed over (as Richard notes). As with Brexit, they hit home later.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Ironic if the developing disaster which is Brexit drags Scotland ....... which voted Reamin ...... down with it.

Developing disaster...... Countryfile last Sunday, ....... on the BBC, which is bending over backwards too support the Government these days ...... made it clear that there was a serious labour shortage in agriculture, which only either cheap labour or expensive machinery could fix. The machinery is being developed but isn't widely available yet.

Sorry to be negative, but I've rather got the Black Dog this morning. Pity on such a sunny Spring morning!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

If he’s still getting tea and biscuit meetings he’s fine.

It’s tea and biscuit meetings where they don’t serve tea or biscuits you need to watch out for
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

It’s very simple and the fact they’ve only just found out is no excuse. What is proposed is utterly reprehensible. And if the players refuse to play this would be killed stone dead.

I don’t begrudge footballers earning big money. But with it comes responsibility. The music has stopped and their time to act has come.

By continuing to put on the shirt, they are complicit in this. They are as bad as the owners.
    You're being ridiculous. By getting sacked they'd be burning their bridges and the clubs would move on without them since they'd no longer get a say.

By staying on but making it clear you oppose the project you can at least try and prevent this happening, working to help guide the owners to a face-saving compromise.

There's always the option of resigning later down the road before it comes to pass if you want.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    edited April 2021
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

It’s tea and biscuit meetings where they don’t serve tea or biscuits you need to watch out for
    Why does he need to watch out? Sack him and he gets a couple of years free salary and picks any club he wants straight away?

He has the leverage vs the owners here.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

Why does he need to watch out? Sack him and he gets a couple of years free salary and picks any club he wants straight away?

Not if they sack him for Gross Misconduct as tlg wants. Gross Misconduct and they can sack him without compensation.

That's why he's gone to the limits of what he can say, while openly saying (and getting headlines) that he opposes what's going on.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

You're being ridiculous. By getting sacked they'd be burning their bridges and the clubs would move on without them since they'd no longer get a say.

By staying on but making it clear you oppose the project you can at least try and prevent this happening, working to help guide the owners to a face-saving compromise.

There's always the option of resigning later down the road before it comes to pass if you want.
    You think they have a say at the moment?!

The current manager and players delivered a first league title in 30 years. Do you really think sacking them would do much good for the value of the club?

This super league does not happen without Messi, Ronaldo, De Bruyne, Salah and the rest of them. It’s as simple as that.
  • Options
    And we’re back to boring rubbish football.

Have a good morning.
  • Options

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

Not if they sack him for Gross Misconduct as tlg wants. Gross Misconduct and they can sack him without compensation.

That's why he's gone to the limits of what he can say, while openly saying (and getting headlines) that he opposes what's going on.
    The top managers contracts are normally very much in their favour for obvious reasons as they are in such demand. Mourinho has earned over £40m from being sacked in England alone for example.

Klopp and his lawyers would have good defences against gross misconduct for simply speaking out on this.
  • Options

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

The top managers contracts are normally very much in their favour for obvious reasons as they are in such demand. Mourinho has earned over £40m from being sacked in England alone for example.

Klopp and his lawyers would have good defences against gross misconduct for simply speaking out on this.
    Also, he doesn’t need the money and he’d walk into the Bayern Munich job tomorrow.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

They are making their displeasure known now, in an attempt to steer the chairmen away from their pet project - but it would be a little silly to throw away one’s career, before they’ve actually been asked to kick a ball in this new competition.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I don’t know. Would I? Given I would have voted Lib Dem if they had stood in Cannock in 2019 and on their withdrawal publicly tore up my ballot paper, I’m not sure what your point is.

The issue is about facts. I was pointing out what the facts are and why they are a problem.

The referendum if/when it happens will be about emotion, and any facts will be lied about or glossed over (as Richard notes). As with Brexit, they hit home later.
    Perhaps it was just too early in the morning for me. I thought I was commenting on the best way of making sure the SNP did not win a
    Majority. Splitting the opposition vote will make it easier for the SNP to win.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

Yes, but since when have referendums been decided by cool analysis of the economic costs?

English arrogance, threats and refusal to take Scottish interests into account are what is driving the break up of the United Kingdom.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

Also, he doesn’t need the money and he’d walk into the Bayern Munich job tomorrow.
    I think Klopp is probably reaching the end of his time in Liverpool. Since Christmas they have been very poor. I think he will be at another club by the autumn.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Perhaps it was just too early in the morning for me. I thought I was commenting on the best way of making sure the SNP did not win a
    That's what FPTP does for you!
  • Options
    Thousands of people could fly from India to England before it is added to the travel “red list” from Friday, amid growing criticism that the government acted too slowly to restrict the spread of a variant which may be more resistant to vaccines.

In a move announced hours after Boris Johnson bowed to pressure to cancel a key trip to India to boost economic ties, the health secretary, Matt Hancock, said most travel from the country would be banned from 4am on Friday. Only British citizens and residents will be allowed in, and all must quarantine in a hotel for 10 days.

There are 16 direct flights from India to the UK scheduled to land before the deadline and many more indirect ones.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953

The reason they lost in 2014, and the reason they will lose again, is their inability to answer those questions the head must.

Just like Brexit.

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Foxy said:

Yes, but since when have referendums been decided by cool analysis of the economic costs?

English arrogance, threats and refusal to take Scottish interests into account are what is driving the break up of the United Kingdom.

Little Englanders begat Brexit, and thus Scexit
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Dr. Foxy, there was little complaint about English/British actions when Scottish banks failed under a regulatory system imposed by a Scottish MP, and the British taxpayer picked up the enormous tab...

And what Scottish interest isn't being taken into account? If you're referring to leaving the EU, do you think it legitimate that a Scotsman's vote has more weight than an Englishman's?
  • Options

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

He has spoken out about it.

Tlg wanted the squad to refuse to play and forfeit the match.
  • Options

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

Well, the owners are going to get Liverpool kicked out the league!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Thousands of people could fly from India to England before it is added to the travel “red list” from Friday, amid growing criticism that the government acted too slowly to restrict the spread of a variant which may be more resistant to vaccines.

In a move announced hours after Boris Johnson bowed to pressure to cancel a key trip to India to boost economic ties, the health secretary, Matt Hancock, said most travel from the country would be banned from 4am on Friday. Only British citizens and residents will be allowed in, and all must quarantine in a hotel for 10 days.

There are 16 direct flights from India to the UK scheduled to land before the deadline and many more indirect ones.

The story of this flight to Hong Kong is illustrative. All passengers had to have a clear test 72 hours pre-flight, and 14 days quarantine. 47 have tested positive, many at day 12. It sounds as if transmission is happening within quarantine hotels.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1384077181664432131?s=19
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

The story of this flight to Hong Kong is illustrative. All passengers had to have a clear test 72 hours pre-flight, and 14 days quarantine. 47 have tested positive, many at day 12. It sounds as if transmission is happening within quarantine hotels.

We are keeping the passengers for six hours in queues on arrival, indoors in poorly ventilated conditions, perfect covid breeding conditions.
  • Options

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

I am not getting in that spat, just saying he has no need to be concerned about what the owners do, they need him more than he needs them, by far.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Dr. Foxy, there was little complaint about English/British actions when Scottish banks failed under a regulatory system imposed by a Scottish MP, and the British taxpayer picked up the enormous tab...

And what Scottish interest isn't being taken into account? If you're referring to leaving the EU, do you think it legitimate that a Scotsman's vote has more weight than an Englishman's?

I think you illustrate the lack of understanding of Scottish interests very well.

A Union that wants to survive does indeed need to be more than an English hegemony.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Giving four days’ notice of shutting off India was a really silly idea. Should have been overnight, with any flights without passengers already in the airport cancelled. The next few days will be absolute chaos at the airports.

They should have also announced that the PM’s trip to India was cancelled as a result of the upgrading of India to Red, rather than giving the impression it was the other way around.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxy, how is it an English hegemony, when England's the only part of the UK without a devolved Parliament?

Powers have been continually flowing from Westminster to Holyrood. The British taxpayer picked up the tab for HBOS and RBS in the financial crisis.

I did ask you what Scottish interest isn't being taken into account. Any answer for that, beyond an undefined claim of English hegemony?
  • Options

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

I am not getting in that spat, just saying he has no need to be concerned about what the owners do, they need him more than he needs them, by far.
    One thing that a breakaway league needs is entertainment, and that is something that Klopp provides. I like my football, but find most CL and EL games rather dull. Either the teams are grossly mismatched, or they play very defensively in double headers so as to not concede away goals.

I think a better CL/EL/SL format is needed, but there is a fundamental clash between the desire for more games (and more TV money) and compatability with domestic competitions. A SuperLeague midweek on top of the PL is a very gruelling schedule. It would take the six out of both domestic cups, as well as increase fatigue and injuries.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

And I see that NZ now has another case, with an airport worker coming down with the virus a few days after flights restarted from Oz
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Giving four days’ notice of shutting off India was a really silly idea. Should have been overnight, with any flights without passengers already in the airport cancelled. The next few days will be absolute chaos at the airports.

They should have also announced that the PM’s trip to India was cancelled as a result of the upgrading of India to Red, rather than giving the impression it was the other way around.
    This government's inability to learn is becoming one of its hallmarks
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

IIRC the original, medical, opposition to quarantine hotels/facilities was that they were would become hotspots.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I live in the NE. Aside from a few farmers the Tories are really struggling. We're hearing from phone banking that the way they have promised so much and then shat all over fishing and the food industry that their support is down.

My constituency seat will stay SNP, we're hoping to pick up a list seat off the Tories. Why reward the Tories for failure? The SNP get no list seats up here so their vote doesn't need to be counted when making a decision.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The reason they lost in 2014, and the reason they will lose again, is their inability to answer those questions the head must.

Just like Brexit.

Oh, wait...
    So your reason for independence is so Scotland can be allowed to make the same mistakes? And learn nothing?
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Dr. Foxy, how is it an English hegemony, when England's the only part of the UK without a devolved Parliament?

Powers have been continually flowing from Westminster to Holyrood. The British taxpayer picked up the tab for HBOS and RBS in the financial crisis.

I did ask you what Scottish interest isn't being taken into account. Any answer for that, beyond an undefined claim of English hegemony?

The mooted referendum itself is a good example. Refusing a referendum called for by a majority in Holyrood is an over riding of Scottish democracy by an English majority in Westminster.

I don't want Scottish independence, but my opinion on this doesn't matter. It is for Scots to decide.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    I've been saying similar things since 2016. The argument that Brexit made independence more likely was always nonsense. Scotland needs to be a part of the UK single market. It is absolutely essential to its future prosperity. That makes the aspiration of returning to the EU highly problematic. The NI border and protocol show how problematic this would be but the scale of the problem is vastly greater between Scotland and rUK where the volume of trade is much greater as is the range of goods.

So, in reality Nationalists have a dilemma. They might proceed on the basis that we remain in the SM with rUK in which case one begins to wonder the point since rUK will determine our currency, our interest rates, will have a veto on borrowing plans (if we want the BoE to remain as a lender of last resort) and our trade policy. Frankly, the current Scottish government has more room for maneuver than Scotland would have under that scenario and the real problem is that it is not in our gift. We would have to ask for it and there is no guarantee that rUK would say yes. If I was TSE I would be suggesting that this is have the divorce, get freedom but still have regular sex with the ex. Possible in theory, somewhat unlikely in practice.

The alternative would be to try for greater independence with, for example, our own currency possibly tied to the Euro and seek EU membership. That would mean we accept that there will be trade friction between us and rUK. Once again, however, so much would be out of our control because the EU would decide our trade relationship with rUK, our interest rates, our borrowing, much of our legislative framework and of course our trade policy internationally.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Good thread for flushing out those people bitter their "Sturgeon to be replaced in 2020" got busted.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Ironic if the developing disaster which is Brexit drags Scotland ....... which voted Reamin ...... down with it.

Developing disaster...... Countryfile last Sunday, ....... on the BBC, which is bending over backwards too support the Government these days ...... made it clear that there was a serious labour shortage in agriculture, which only either cheap labour or expensive machinery could fix. The machinery is being developed but isn't widely available yet.

Sorry to be negative, but I've rather got the Black Dog this morning. Pity on such a sunny Spring morning!

I guess farmers will just need to pay workers more. And that’s supposed to be a bad thing?
  • Options

"That was a party election broadcast on behalf of the Scottish Nationalist Party."

I believe the line above was "why should the Scots stop England having Brexit" or words to that effect. They don't. They just don't want to be dragged along unwillingly to an action which causes significant damage to local jobs and the economy.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

One thing that a breakaway league needs is entertainment, and that is something that Klopp provides. I like my football, but find most CL and EL games rather dull. Either the teams are grossly mismatched, or they play very defensively in double headers so as to not concede away goals.

I think a better CL/EL/SL format is needed, but there is a fundamental clash between the desire for more games (and more TV money) and compatability with domestic competitions. A SuperLeague midweek on top of the PL is a very gruelling schedule. It would take the six out of both domestic cups, as well as increase fatigue and injuries.
    It wont be popular with anyone either but perhaps a regional approach can work better. Replace national competitions with something like

British Isles
    Iberia
    France and Benelux
    Germany, Scandinavia, Austria
    Italy, Switzerland, Greece
    Eastern Europe

The big prem clubs get Celtic and Rangers for more competition and bigger games.
    Real Madrid and Barca get Porto, Benfica and Lisbon to replace Eibar or Gijon.
    PSG get Ajax, PSV etc.

Relegation and promotion could still apply as it does, and midweek the champions league continues, but the likes of Celtic, Rangers, Porto, Benfica, Lisbon, Ajax, PSV, Olympiakos etc will become more competitive.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

It's a problem with all Western governments and international travel. A massive blind spot affecting the lot of them, taking half-hearted measures and announcing things in advance. They should all have learned their lessons a year ago, but keep making the same mistakes even now.

Heads-up to government for next month - if you're going to allow travel to "Green" countries without quarantine on return, make sure all those on the Green plane are on direct flights, and that passengers from Green and Red countries don't end up in the same queue at Heathrow.

Anecdotal evidence - I know of at least one person who arrived in the UK a couple of days ago from Moscow for study, who was in the UAE (Red country) on holiday over Easter. This sort of thing isn't being picked up by authorities.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Looks like we need to get ready for another Leicester wave. If I were a retired Gujerati from Leicester, wintering back in India, I would be looking to get out ASAP. Quarantine with a family household is like lighting a fuse.

• Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    edited April 2021
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

Exactly, I wonder what our Lord Marcus Rashford is going to do, continue to take the 250K per week he gets from a club that is intent on destroying English Football. He is very brave at getting the Government to spend other peoples money, perhaps he should take a stand and refuse to play for such a team.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

It's a problem with all Western governments and international travel. A massive blind spot affecting the lot of them, taking half-hearted measures and announcing things in advance. They should all have learned their lessons a year ago, but keep making the same mistakes even now.

Heads-up to government for next month - if you're going to allow travel to "Green" countries without quarantine on return, make sure all those on the Green plane are on direct flights, and that passengers from Green and Red countries don't end up in the same queue at Heathrow.

Anecdotal evidence - I know of at least one person who arrived in the UK a couple of days ago from Moscow for study, who was in the UAE (Red country) on holiday over Easter. This sort of thing isn't being picked up by authorities.
    I think Foxy mentioned the 'Gujarati Snowbirds' last week. They will presumably be flocking home now before friday.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Just like Brexit.

Oh, wait...
    So your reason for independence is so Scotland can be allowed to make the same mistakes? And learn nothing?
    Tory concedes that Brexit was a mistake shocker.....
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

Exactly, I wonder what our Lord Marcus Rashford is going to do, continue to take the 250K per week he gets from a club that is intent on destroying English Football. He is very brave at getting the Government to spend other peoples money, perhaps he should take a stand and refuse to play for such a team.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/EddieHughes4WN/status/1384059206311964679
  • Options
    Charles said:

I guess farmers will just need to pay workers more. And that’s supposed to be a bad thing?
    Paying them minimum wage would be a good start, rather than charging them more than half their money for sub-standard on-site accommodation as many of them do now.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Looks like we need to get ready for another Leicester wave. If I were a retired Gujerati from Leicester, wintering back in India, I would be looking to get out ASAP. Quarantine with a family household is like lighting a fuse.

How likely are the younger members of their families to be vaccinated? - I'm guessing not very as they will be under 50 so vaccinations will only just be starting.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Thank you, Richard, good to see a thread header from you again.

Like so many I would be very sad to lose the UK as it has been, but it is clearly not working in its present form. Nevertheless it's hard to see how England can or should be subdivided to enable an equitable federation to emerge.

Perhaps the most important lesson to emerge from the Brexit negotiations debacle is the need to come out at the end without having damaged relationships for the long term. With hindsight, however, that damage is probably implicit in the decision to leave anyway. Sadly.

Good morning, everyone.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Or they could invest in machinery and improve productivity.

Neither seem like a problem.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    edited April 2021
    Good stirring post.

Interesting reporting on the new C02 reduction target. I thought the current target was Net Zero by 2020, not -78%.

"The prime minister will say carbon emissions will be cut by 78% by 2035 - almost 15 years earlier than previously planned - which would be a world-leading position."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56807520
  • Options

"That was a party election broadcast on behalf of the Scottish Nationalist Party."

I believe the line above was "why should the Scots stop England having Brexit" or words to that effect. They don't. They just don't want to be dragged along unwillingly to an action which causes significant damage to local jobs and the economy.
    Part of being in a union is that you don't always get your way. That applies to everyone in a union.

Either they accept that and want to be in a union, or they don't.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxy, Scotland did get to vote on independence.

I can see the arguments both for and against another referendum. Had it gone the other way, it would've been irreversible, but the SNP want to have one every six minutes until, just once, they get the result they want.

As for the UK leaving the EU meaning things have changed, I can appreciate that perspective. But it's amusing from a separatist perspective because they were willing for Scotland to leave the EU years earlier, as a necessary and inevitable consequence of leaving the UK. Somehow, that was completely fine, but the UK together leaving the EU is an abomination.

Mr. Pioneers, the SNP was happy for Scotland to leave the EU and UK at the same time. Why was that a good thing for Scotland, but leaving the EU with the rest of the UK so awful?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    edited April 2021
    Excellent article @Richard_Nabavi . It is ironic that whether you were a remainer or a leaver re Brexit you may have to do cartwheels in the logic of your arguments re Scottish Independence because it will be no different to the NI situation. A remainer can't rationally argue indendence won't cause trade/border issues and leavers can't argue it will cause chaos because that contradicts both their NI stances.

It will be interesting to see how many politicians on both sides try that sumersult in logic.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Paying them minimum wage would be a good start, rather than charging them more than half their money for sub-standard on-site accommodation as many of them do now.
    If only the people buying the goods (mainly our supermarkets) paid enough to make that practical.

I know there is no such thing as a poor farmer (well there is but it's rarer than most people think) but that is not for want of trying by our supermarkets.
  • Options

Charles said:

Or they could invest in machinery and improve productivity.

Neither seem like a problem.
    Did you not notice that the machinery doesn't exist yet - in theory a lot of it is close to being there but it's probably a 95/5% problem and that 5% is difficult to solve without replanting everything afresh.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Depressingly predictable. Once again Johnson has dithered and delayed.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Good stirring post.

Interesting reporting on the new C02 reduction target. I thought the current target was Net Zero by 2020, not -78%.

"The prime minister will say carbon emissions will be cut by 78% by 2035 - almost 15 years earlier than previously planned - which would be a world-leading position."

Net Zero, not zero emissions.

If emissions are reduced by 78% and offsetting of emissions is 22% (eg by planting trees or other mechanisms) then that's net zero.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    For anyone who likes political gossip-most on here I guess- Alan Duncan's book 'In The Thick of It' is a must read. It's funny and as polemics go it doesn't get more bare knuckled than this. If it wasn't for the pandemic and that no one take him seriously it would supply the tabloids with headlines for months. No one escapes. Even the ghastly Guido gets his fifteen minutes.

An interesting insight into some pretty creepy people and I reckon he gets most of them right.
  • Options
    Roger said:

For anyone who likes political gossip-most on here I guess- Alan Duncan's book 'In The Thick of It' is a must read. It's funny and as polemics go it doesn't get more bare knuckled than this. If it wasn't for the pandemic and that no one take him seriously it would supply the tabloids with headlines for months. No one escapes. Even the ghastly Guido gets his fifteen minutes.

An interesting insight into some pretty creepy people and I reckon he gets most of them right.

Duncan should pause and wonder, that if everyone he ever came across in politics was such a nasty person to him, maybe he himself was the common factor.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    And Lo, much Nat frothing ensued .......
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Duncan should pause and wonder, that if everyone he ever came across in politics was such a nasty person to him, maybe he himself was the common factor.
    Do you have to be nice in order to spot that others aren't?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Just like Brexit.

Oh, wait...
    I'm trying to get Scott to concede that his position is gloriously two-faced.

Perhaps you'd like to oblige?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Just like Brexit.

Oh, wait...

kjh nails it above. Those who had strong views on either side of Brexit should take care what they say on Scottish Indy, lest they expose their past contradictions.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    "It would be nice to think so, but I’m not holding my breath. This is heading towards a major disaster for Scotland"

......and an even bigger one for England.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

“If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.”
  • Options
    Foxy said:

What break up. I haven't seen one.. Nicola wants to agitate but just lose.. forever.. its the only way the SNP can hold onto power...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Huge lol
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    DavidL said:

I've been saying similar things since 2016. The argument that Brexit made independence more likely was always nonsense. Scotland needs to be a part of the UK single market. It is absolutely essential to its future prosperity. That makes the aspiration of returning to the EU highly problematic. The NI border and protocol show how problematic this would be but the scale of the problem is vastly greater between Scotland and rUK where the volume of trade is much greater as is the range of goods.

So, in reality Nationalists have a dilemma. They might proceed on the basis that we remain in the SM with rUK in which case one begins to wonder the point since rUK will determine our currency, our interest rates, will have a veto on borrowing plans (if we want the BoE to remain as a lender of last resort) and our trade policy. Frankly, the current Scottish government has more room for maneuver than Scotland would have under that scenario and the real problem is that it is not in our gift. We would have to ask for it and there is no guarantee that rUK would say yes. If I was TSE I would be suggesting that this is have the divorce, get freedom but still have regular sex with the ex. Possible in theory, somewhat unlikely in practice.

The alternative would be to try for greater independence with, for example, our own currency possibly tied to the Euro and seek EU membership. That would mean we accept that there will be trade friction between us and rUK. Once again, however, so much would be out of our control because the EU would decide our trade relationship with rUK, our interest rates, our borrowing, much of our legislative framework and of course our trade policy internationally.

But the last option would be fine because it's not England. I think you have fundamentally misunderstood the appeal. With the polarisation of politics it doesn't just matter what your opinion is but who you are.

In this case Boris / English bad, Nicola / EU good. If I were a political journalist I would be quoting back random quotes to supporters and saying either Boris or Nicola said this what do you think? They wouldn't have a clue because almost all politicians are devoid of opinion and backbone. At least Corbyn was consistent in blaming Israel for everything!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

I think Foxy mentioned the 'Gujarati Snowbirds' last week. They will presumably be flocking home now before friday.
    But, I think they must quarantine for 10 days in a hotel if they do so.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ICYMI:

Spot on by Klopp.

I think Klopp is probably reaching the end of his time in Liverpool. Since Christmas they have been very poor. I think he will be at another club by the autumn.
    I’ve seen suggested elsewhere that Klopp’s style is tough on players. The high intensity is challenging, so it’s effective for a few years but then it gets harder and harder to maintain. Hence he does well for a few years and then moves on. How true that is, I can’t say. I note that Fergie’s great triumph was to know when to rebuild, even while still winning, and he built three great sides. Liverpool’s decline this season is tricky to analyse as it it set against Covid, but it is pretty stark.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

The hotel quarantine is for arrivals after Friday. Arrivals before Friday can quarantine at their destination address in the UK.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Only Red list countries need to stay in a hotel - if you are returning from a none Red list country you can spend your quarantine at home (spreading it to the rest of the family while doing so).

And that is Foxy's very valid concern.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Just like Brexit.

Oh, wait...

kjh nails it above. Those who had strong views on either side of Brexit should take care what they say on Scottish Indy, lest they expose their past contradictions.
    Well obviously I gave that a like.
  • Options
    On topic, I assumed from the headline that TSE had written this.

Scotland will partner with England in the Union for as long as it's in its financial and political interests to do so, which is what drove the Acts of Union in the first place. Both nations have far more in common than they'd care to admit.

I'm unconvinced by further devolution, which is overton window stuff and will simply be used as an argument for more and, ultimately, full independence.

I'd say the solution is for the UK to govern very well, making the benefits clear and obvious, and also to increase the number of Scottish voices in the UK cabinet - which has diminished since the SNP swept the board - and reflect Scotland's interests more in our foreign and trade policy, and also in our rhetoric.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

True.

But equally imbecilic was Jon Ashworth demanding that the government help people travel back from India.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

DavidL said:

But the last option would be fine because it's not England. I think you have fundamentally misunderstood the appeal. With the polarisation of politics it doesn't just matter what your opinion is but who you are.

In this case Boris / English bad, Nicola / EU good. If I were a political journalist I would be quoting back random quotes to supporters and saying either Boris or Nicola said this what do you think? They wouldn't have a clue because almost all politicians are devoid of opinion and backbone. At least Corbyn was consistent in blaming Israel for everything!
    The last option would be economically damaging for Scotland but you are right that rationality does not come into this. The argument that Scotland would be better off or even as well off on its own is much weaker in 2021 than it was in 2014 (and it was pretty laughable then). Scotland would be voting for higher taxes, lower levels of public services and quite severe austerity for a prolonged period.

We would survive, of course, but the price would be very high. If our identity is so important that we are willing to pay that price so be it but the present lies about this being some cost free option are contemptible.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

“If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.”
    Or it could be that parliament attracts assholes.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

True.

But equally imbecilic was Jon Ashworth demanding that the government help people travel back from India.
    I missed that one.

"Can I help you with your bags sir, whilst you pass around some more of that variant"
  • Options
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Only Red list countries need to stay in a hotel - if you are returning from a none Red list country you can spend your quarantine at home (spreading it to the rest of the family while doing so).

Yes, it looks like I misread it - it says self-isolate in the place you are staying, which isn't quite the same thing: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/transport-measures-to-protect-the-uk-from-variant-strains-of-covid-19
  • Options
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Hopefully it will not come to pass as badly as @Foxy fears. Keep us posted. Leicester may be the canary.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    edited April 2021
    Roger said:

"It would be nice to think so, but I’m not holding my breath. This is heading towards a major disaster for Scotland"

......and an even bigger one for England.

Neither, happily. Scottish independence isn't going to happen. The hurdles are too high and too many.

In brief they are:
    Boris, Brexit, Borders. Splitters, Voters, Currency. Tax, Barnett, Westminster.

In Ref1 voters could vote to separate and at the same time hide behind and with England and the EU. Now they can't. You have to take your chances when they come. Like Brexit voters did. They knew it wouldn't come again. Nor will this.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

No, only self-policed self-isolation, until Friday
  • Options

Part of being in a union is that you don't always get your way. That applies to everyone in a union.

Either they accept that and want to be in a union, or they don't.
    Yep. That's my point. If you don't want to be treated with democratic contempt then you leave the union...
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

We are keeping the passengers for six hours in queues on arrival, indoors in poorly ventilated conditions, perfect covid breeding conditions.
    Heathrow's answer to that seems to be less checking.

I would suggest that the answer is fewer flights.
  • Options

MattW said:

Good stirring post.

Net Zero, not zero emissions.

If emissions are reduced by 78% and offsetting of emissions is 22% (eg by planting trees or other mechanisms) then that's net zero.
    Yes, that's very important to note the difference between gross zero and net zero. Gross zero would wipe out woodburners, bonfires, all animal husbandry, all heritage vehicles and possibly farting. It's impossible and implausible.

The important thing is that human activity no longer contributes to climate change. However, there will always be dogmatists - and it's worth noting Greta is one of them.
This discussion has been closed.