Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The public remain very supportive of the government’s timetable for ending lockdown – politicalbetti

Comments

• BromBrom Posts: 3,760

On the flipside it is a BIT funny listening to the shrill hysteria of Sky at the thought that the vastly over-inflated product at the heart of their business might be at risk in some way.

Oh completely. I’m enjoying Sky, the Big 6, the EPL, the plastic fans, UEFA and all those who have contributed to making the game I love infinitely worse being made to look like fools today. Sky, their pundits and commentators deserve a very, very small violin.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,458

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Incidentally @kinabalu Johnson is 5'9" and 14.5 stone isn't even obese for someone 5'9".

More than one in four British adults are obese. I would definitely count Johnson within that 1 in 4, wouldn't you?

17.5 not 14.5.

And he's five nine in his Cubans.
    Yes I would think he was a liar if he said he was 14.5 stone at his heaviest. He was definitely obese at his heaviest and 14.5 stone is not obese.

17.5 stone is believable. 14.5 stone is not.
    If by 14.5 stone you mean 14 stone and 7 lbs (which is 14 1/2 stone) then according to the NHS calculator that is officially obese. Just admittedly but it is never the less.
    At 5'9" ?

I put that into the calculator and it came to BMI 29.0 which is not obese. 30+ is obese.
    Johnson is at least 5'10" from what I've read.
    I’ve met him twice. He is no way that tall.
    How come everyone on PB has met a PM and many have met several? Never even met an MP here.
    In fairness I only met him years before he became PM, while he was London mayor. Unless he has grown at least two inches in that time, he’s nothing like 5-10.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    tlg86 said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Ah well, but TLG86 and Brom saw an entirely different interview.

Gary Neville: "Jurgen Klopp has absolutely destroyed Liverpool's owners on national television tonight."

https://twitter.com/AnfieldWatch/status/1384219466083356680

Not sure how Neville came to that conclusion.

Look, if Klopp (or any other manager) resigns in the next few days I'll give them a lot of credit.

But actions, not words, are what count.
    Neville understands nuance and context.

You don't.
    Try telling that to any team that’s been in the same league as Salford. Neville can be outspoken as this goes against Sky in every way.

Klopp had to be brave but he wasn’t. My whatsapp group of various football league supporters feels let down by his words. Perhaps armchair Liverpool fans are more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Opinions and all that.
    Klopp was brave. He was very clear.

"Jurgen in the past you said you oppose the idea of a Super League, have your thoughts changed"
    "My thoughts have not changed . . . I like the competitive nature of the Champions League, I like that West Ham could play Champions League . . . we want to qualify for the Champions League . . . the boys didn't do anything wrong, I really want to make sure everybody knows that".

He's crystal clear. Unless you expect him to take a dump on Anfield and walk out, I'm not sure what more you expect.
    He didn't explicitly say he opposes the super league. He said he didn't know much about it etc. etc.
    He said his thoughts have not changed [from when he said he was opposed] and he said he likes clubs like West Ham being able to qualify for the Champions League.

That's as transparent as a pane of glass.
  • Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited April 2021

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Incidentally @kinabalu Johnson is 5'9" and 14.5 stone isn't even obese for someone 5'9".

More than one in four British adults are obese. I would definitely count Johnson within that 1 in 4, wouldn't you?

17.5 not 14.5.

Yes I would think he was a liar if he said he was 14.5 stone at his heaviest. He was definitely obese at his heaviest and 14.5 stone is not obese.

If by 14.5 stone you mean 14 stone and 7 lbs (which is 14 1/2 stone) then according to the NHS calculator that is officially obese. Just admittedly but it is never the less.
    At 5'9" ?

I put that into the calculator and it came to BMI 29.0 which is not obese. 30+ is obese.
    Not doubting you, but when you look at photos of Johnson and Cameron together, Johnson looks about 2 inches shorter, and Cameron was supposed to be 6 feet tall.
    I have no idea with Cameron, I’ve not met him. Boris is the only PM I have met (twice, prior to his being PM, both as mayor of London)
    For what it’s worth (assuming you believe I’ve stood near them and why would you?) I think you’re right. I’m 5’ 9” - Cameron was noticeably taller than me. Boris is not. Nor is he noticeably shorter.
  • tlg86 said:

@TheScreamingEagles - do you oppose what the fans are doing at Anfield?

No, if I was there I'd make sure the ire is focussed solely on FSG.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

tlg86 said:

Klopp clearly feels the fans are hurting the players.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,318

tlg86 said:

You guys were piping yourselves off over FSG not that long ago when we were discussing Saudi ownership of NUFC.

Funny old world.
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Gary Neville: "Jurgen Klopp has absolutely destroyed Liverpool's owners on national television tonight."

Look, if Klopp (or any other manager) resigns in the next few days I'll give them a lot of credit.

You don't.
    There is nothing nuanced about the situation. As long as these clubs are owned by their scumbag owners, they deserve to be given both barrels.
    Because Klopp likes to do things behind the scenes.

A few months in to his reign FSG wanted to increase some ticket prices to £77, he pretty much backed the fans, and it was reported at the time he privately spoke to the owners about it, and they took action to reverse it.

He's not a Mourinho and starts public rows.

FSG know the value of club has gone from £500 million from when Klopp was appointed to over £2 billion, largely thanks to Klopp, they will listen to his private conversations with him.

He has a fantastically close relation with Mike Gordon.
    You reckon he can talk them out of this?
    Yes.
  • Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    edited April 2021
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.
    There is nothing nuanced about the situation. As long as these clubs are owned by their scumbag owners, they deserve to be given both barrels.
    But whilst the trophies were coming in how many Liverpool fans complained about John W. Henry? Or Man City fans about Sheikh Mansour? Or Chelsea fans about Abramovitch? Or you during the good times at Arsenal? Did you moan in 2007 when Stan Kroenke and Alisher Usmanov took charge of your club? Or did you just relish those FA Cups which added to your full cabinet? Were you there when they lifted The Cup in 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2020? Etc. etc.

I would call it hypocrisy by the fans but it's more naivety. These fans were happy whilst they made massive signings and lifted trophies but they didn't realise that it was going to come at a big big price. This is it. Today. Welcome to the Brave New World of global football.

I had this discussion with a Man City fan friend whom I've known for many years. Once they were a middling to good club, rooted and with a proper fan base. Then came the takeover. I tried to tell my friend that it was going to come at a price, that all that money wasn't going to be for free, that one day they'd pay the price. He thought I had sour grapes. But today is the logical conclusion of what happened in football many years ago.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

A few months in to his reign FSG wanted to increase some ticket prices to £77, he pretty much backed the fans, and it was reported at the time he privately spoke to the owners about it, and they took action to reverse it.

FSG know the value of club has gone from £500 million from when Klopp was appointed to over £2 billion, largely thanks to Klopp, they will listen to his private conversations with him.

Yes.
    I expect there'll be much huffing and puffing, but a compromise reached.

Its in all parties interests to reach a compromise.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

There should be no "compromise". There's nothing to compromise on. They either need to shut up or f*ck off.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,953
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

JFC - he's attacking Liverpool fans. Good God, I hope he has good security at home.

What did he say?
    Basically not happy that the fans are taking down banners. His view is that they need to stick together at times like this and says that he and the players are not to blame.
    So he wants to stick together with the fans and is saying he's not to blame, ie the owners are to blame?

Sounds reasonable.
    They should have refused to play tonight.
    That's not an option, be realistic.
    They're multi millionaires. They have so much power. They can put a stop to it.

Tuchel was equally pathetic in his press conference today.
    They'd be fired for gross misconduct if they didn't play.

Be realistic that's not an option.

From the sounds of it Klopp explicitly didn't back the owners tonight, didn't support the idea, and basically said "he's not to blame" (ie the owners are to blame). Which is about as far as an employee of a business can realistically go in undermining their employer.
    Well, if Liverpool wants to sack its players, that would really add to the value of the club!
    If the players were banned from international matches, that would probably be ‘just cause’ and spa reason not to award compensation.

Did Chelsea ever get their money from Mutu?
  • tlg86 said:

You guys were piping yourselves off over FSG not that long ago when we were discussing Saudi ownership of NUFC.

Funny old world.
    Still John W. Henry, Tom Werner, and Mike Gordon have never had anyone murdered.

I still maintain that FSG have been great owners of Liverpool, they have built a self sustaining club, this proposal has the potential over ruining a decade's worth of good work.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.
    I feel for you, because I suspect you're going to be disappointed. Far easier just to disown the scum and move on as I have done with Arsenal.

tlg86 said:

Funny old world.
    FSG are good owners, they have just screwed up here because they don't understand the English game in the way we do. They come from a country where relegation is an alien concept, not a beloved fundamental strength of football.

That's why its good to have respected people like Klopp on side and not walking away. They can help talk them owners back down and into some acceptable compromise.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,042

tlg86 said:

Funny old world.
    Still John W. Henry, Tom Werner, and Mike Gordon have never had anyone murdered.

That we know of.

[To any libel lawyers reading, this is a joke not an accusation.]

tlg86 said:

Funny old world.
    FSG are good owners, they have just screwed up here because they don't understand the English game in the way we do. They come from a country where relegation is an alien concept, not a beloved fundamental strength of football.

That's why its good to have respected people like Klopp on side and not walking away. They can help talk them owners back down and into some acceptable compromise.
    You're just showing your arrogance again.

There is absolutely nothing to compromise on.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

There should be no "compromise". There's nothing to compromise on. They either need to shut up or f*ck off.
    There absolutely should be a compromise.

The closed shop is a terrible concept and needs to be dropped - that's a compromise. But the clubs are right that UEFA are deeply flawed and not enough of the money the clubs bring in to UEFA ends up with the clubs.

Or do you think that's wrong and UEFA are whiter than white?

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.
    But whilst the trophies were coming in how many Liverpool fans complained about John W. Henry? Or Man City fans about Sheikh Mansour? Or Chelsea fans about Abramovitch? Or you during the good times at Arsenal? Did you moan in 2007 when Stan Kroenke and Alisher Usmanov took charge of your club? Or did you just relish those FA Cups which added to your full cabinet? Were you there when they lifted The Cup in 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2020? Etc. etc.

I would call it hypocrisy by the fans but it's more naivety. These fans were happy whilst they made massive signings and lifted trophies but they didn't realise that it was going to come at a big big price. This is it. Today. Welcome to the Brave New World of global football.

I had this discussion with a Man City fan friend whom I've known for many years. Once they were a middling to good club, rooted and with a proper fan base. Then came the takeover. I tried to tell my friend that it was going to come at a price, that all that money wasn't going to be for free, that one day they'd pay the price. He thought I had sour grapes. But today is the logical conclusion of what happened in football many years ago.
    You'd never hear me singing "spend some fucking money" as some twats at Arsenal did.

I don't really care who owns a football club. The competition is sacred. There is nothing hypocritical about this.

Anyway, if the owners of these clubs want to do this, let them. I still expect it to come crashing down and with a bit of luck the owners will lose their shirts.
  • Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited April 2021
    Foxy said:

nico679 said:

The 6 English clubs seem to think that the football world revolves around them and that supporters will just moan for a week and then just accept this football non-competition.

If the 6 clubs think the supporters will just put up with this crap then they’re clearly delusional !

I know this bit is going to make you fume but they apparently see people like you and me as 'legacy fans' (a phrase which emerged this morning).

The big bosses don't particularly care about us. They're after the millions of fans around the world in places like Asia and the emerging market of America.

I know, I know. It's sick. But as I said, the time to complain was when the likes of Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyantook over Man City or Roman Abramovitch, Chelsea or Stanley Kroenke, Arsenal. For years "supporters" of these clubs were perfectly happy to put up with these owners so long as the glory glory of glittering trophies were delivered.

But these people are huge business operators. They know that there's a massive global market to tap for money and, I know it's shit, but your average fan wandering up the Seven Sisters road doesn't matter so much to them.
    You will never hear a bad word said about Khun Top or his late father at Leicester City. Best owners that we have ever had, and very respectful of the fans and traditions too.

Though it probably is the rise of Leicester (and the others like West Ham, and Wolves last season) that is behind this Super League. If we hadn't won the title, and then followed it up by consolidating a top 6 position, and probably Top 4, then the hegemony of the six would have stood. Teams like Arsenal and
    Spurs know that they have been eclipsed. That is how football should be, and they don't like it.
    Yes exactly. You only have to look into the past. Leeds. Forest. Derby. Times change. And so they should because football, bloody hell.
    edited April 2021

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.
    Try telling that to any team that’s been in the same league as Salford. Neville can be outspoken as this goes against Sky in every way.

Klopp had to be brave but he wasn’t. My whatsapp group of various football league supporters feels let down by his words. Perhaps armchair Liverpool fans are more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Opinions and all that.
    Klopp was brave. He was very clear.

"Jurgen in the past you said you oppose the idea of a Super League, have your thoughts changed"
    "My thoughts have not changed . . . I like the competitive nature of the Champions League, I like that West Ham could play Champions League . . . we want to qualify for the Champions League . . . the boys didn't do anything wrong, I really want to make sure everybody knows that".

He's crystal clear. Unless you expect him to take a dump on Anfield and walk out, I'm not sure what more you expect.
    You must be a Liverpool fan. Crystal clear he definitely was not. Absolutely nothing but his bank balance stopping him from saying what all proper fans are thinking. No need to mince your words when there’s a power grab going on. He could easily walk into a bigger job in Germany if he wanted.

Hopefully his conscience will awaken in the coming days.

tlg86 said:

Funny old world.

You're just showing your arrogance again.

There is absolutely nothing to compromise on.
    So there's nothing whatsoever wrong with UEFA? Nothing in the slightest? 🤔

You're just showing your naivety if you really believe that.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

The closed shop is a terrible concept and needs to be dropped - that's a compromise. But the clubs are right that UEFA are deeply flawed and not enough of the money the clubs bring in to UEFA ends up with the clubs.

You think this is some principled stand against UEFA? Hilarious. This is about greed and nothing else.
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Klopp clearly feels the fans are hurting the players.
    He's right but the fans are right as well.

But such is the relationship Klopp has with the fans that the fans will do something different but something that keeps the pressure on FSG.

I suspect we'll see banners outside Anfield saying 'We agree with Klopp.'
  • ydoethur said:

Has PB really just spent the whole day arguing about a few football clubs and whether our PM is morbidly obese or just a fat git?

Yes and more days the same
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    edited April 2021
    ydoethur said:

Has PB really just spent the whole day arguing about a few football clubs and whether our PM is morbidly obese or just a fat git?

Wait until you see the morning thread, it is the greatest headline in the history of PB.

No one will discuss the football or Boris Johnson's girth on that thread.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358

I suspect we'll see banners outside Anfield saying 'We agree with Klopp.'

https://twitter.com/Kai_Delaney/status/1384198923535802374

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

Can you provide a breakdown of how UEFA splits TV money? You're clearly an expert. What part of it do you object to?

My biggest criticism of UEFA's distribution of money is that they've enabled clubs like BATE Borizov to dominate their domestic leagues.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

I agree.

The rampant stratification in the game over countless seasons has gone totally unchecked. In most of the major national leagues in Europe this leaves one, or maybe a couple, of "superclubs". In England the success has been broader and has made much of the top 10 effectively close to European superclubs in sheer financial terms, but even there the stratification in success terms is ridiculous.

Between them all these clubs hog the money, power, league and Champion's League glory. It isn't quite a closed shop already but it's nowhere near as far from it as people would like to make out.

But that was all fine until yesterday because that was all happily sanctioned by the existing power structures.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627

ydoethur said:

Yes and more days the same
    Well, at least that makes the impossibility of labouring under the absurd restrictions demanded by our retarded lords and masters at the DfE seem less onerous.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    ydoethur said:

PB United sponsored by Fatness First.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

You think this is some principled stand against UEFA? Hilarious. This is about greed and nothing else.
    So was founding the Premier League itself and there's nothing wrong with that at all, so long as it is sporting.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358

The triumph of hope over experience.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

So was founding the Premier League itself and there's nothing wrong with that at all, so long as it is sporting.
    But it ISN'T sporting. They don't want sporting. They want guaranteed income and minimal or zero risk.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

I agree.

The rampant stratification in the game over countless seasons has gone totally unchecked. In most of the major national leagues in Europe this leaves one, or maybe a couple, of "superclubs". In England the success has been broader and has made much of the top 10 effectively close to European superclubs in sheer financial terms, but even there the stratification in success terms is ridiculous.

Between them all these clubs hog the money, power, league and Champion's League glory. It isn't quite a closed shop already but it's nowhere near as far from it as people would like to make out.

But that was all fine until yesterday because that was all happily sanctioned by the existing power structures.
    That this is happening tells you that it isn't a closed shop. Agnelli has nightmares about Juve missing out on the Champions League.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    edited April 2021
    Good piece by Evan Davis on PM today.

ED: what can UEFA, FIFA, the govt, or anyone actually do about it?
    Every expert he interviewed: nothing.
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Citeh are a literal franchise. If the fans in Manchester don't like the benevolence of the Sheikh he can always transfer the flag to New York. Or their other franchises. It is a global business not a football club in Manchester.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

17.5 not 14.5.

At 5'9" ?

Not doubting you, but when you look at photos of Johnson and Cameron together, Johnson looks about 2 inches shorter, and Cameron was supposed to be 6 feet tall.
    I have no idea with Cameron, I’ve not met him. Boris is the only PM I have met (twice, prior to his being PM, both as mayor of London)
    For what it’s worth (assuming you believe I’ve stood near them and why would you?) I think you’re right. I’m 5’ 9” - Cameron was noticeably taller than me. Boris is not. Nor is he noticeably shorter.
    When Cammo had me round to number ten for drinks, he seems about my height, so six foot.
  • Scott_xP said:

The triumph of hope over experience.
    Trust me, you will love the overnight thread, I know you'll agree with it.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

Can you provide a breakdown of how UEFA splits TV money? You're clearly an expert. What part of it do you object to?

My biggest criticism of UEFA's distribution of money is that they've enabled clubs like BATE Borizov to dominate their domestic leagues.
    Its in the public domain.

In 2018/19 the Champions League generates €3.25bn per annum of which Liverpool got €111mn for winning the competition. €2bn went to the clubs, €1.25bn did not.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Klopp said as much as he could tonight, without being at serious risk of the sack in the morning.

The chairmen have put their cards on the table though, there’s no going back from today. Presumably the breakaway teams will be offering the managers serious extra money to stay involved, as they’ll be trashing their relationships with the fans and other potential future employers.
  • TOPPING said:

I made this point earlier. The BBC then suggested some spoiler actions that could be tried, such as declaring ESL games to be free to air. At which point Sky swing behind the 6 teams saying "hang on, don't go that far"
    edited April 2021
    @Philip_Thompson reckons that the Super League is suddenly going to agree to relegation for all the "founding fathers" as a "compromise" and calls me naive. Lol.

ydoethur said:

Wait until you see the morning thread, it is the greatest headline in the history of PB.

Well, I admire your optimism.
    edited April 2021

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

But it ISN'T sporting. They don't want sporting. They want guaranteed income and minimal or zero risk.
    A compromise that sees the clubs getting a better share of revenue, while not eliminating the competitive nature, is definitely in the realms of possibility.

Liverpool in the lead BTW.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

OK (and I agree- this is a threat designed to win concessions more than a real plan)... Where's the landing zone?

How much more money should the CL clubs get?
    How much more control of the competition?
    Critically- how far should the list of CL teams be stabilised (ahem) from year to year to make a product that's attractive to a global TV audience? The concept of (in effect) wildcards for established really big teams has already been swallowed, so how far should that go?

Fun fact- the club that had to make the most applications for re-election to the Football League, and was never actually relegated under those rules? Hartlepool.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

A compromise that sees the clubs getting a better share of revenue, while not eliminating the competitive nature, is definitely in the realms of possibility.

Greedpool in the lead.
    edited April 2021

@Philip_Thompson reckons that the Super League is suddenly going to agree to relegation for all the "founding fathers" as a "compromise" and calls me naive. Lol.

Maybe they will create European Super League 2 and relegate into that...!

Absolutely possible yes.

If that is what allows it to go ahead. Afterall if it was the same numbers but the Top 6 each year went into the competition rather than the Big 6 then they would qualify almost every year. They would remain much better off than they are with the Champions League, and they'd remain in the new competition almost every year, and they'd remain in the Premier League's good books and they'd win the fans back around. The "cost" of having to qualify isn't that major.

Or there could be a compromise that sees the clubs stay within UEFA but get a better share of the cash.

Or many other compromises. Opening positions very often get softened to get a real compromise when things go ahead.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,854

Michael Gove is visiting Israel to study a COVID "green pass" smartphone app that could soon be the model for vaccine passports in the UK.

The Cabinet Office minister, in charge of a Whitehall study into how coronavirus certification might work in the UK, has been a big fan of the Israeli scheme for weeks.

He is being accompanied on his visit by Jonathan Van-Tam, England's deputy chief medical officer, who is hugely influential in the government's COVID strategy.

It is thought their visit involves meetings with Israel's health minister, Yuli Edelstein, and possibly with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, according to reports in Israel.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-michael-gove-visits-israel-to-study-countrys-green-pass-as-he-mulls-vaccine-passport-options-12280673

Why don't they just look at the App Store like anyone else?
    They would miss out on the photo op.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

OK (and I agree- this is a threat designed to win concessions more than a real plan)... Where's the landing zone?

Critically- how far should the list of CL teams be stabilised (ahem) from year to year to make a product that's attractive to a global TV audience? The concept of (in effect) wildcards for established really big teams has already been swallowed, so how far should that go?

Fun fact- the club that had to make the most applications for re-election to the Football League, and was never actually relegated under those rules? Hartlepool.
    I disagree. They've crossed the line and there's no turning back. They've alienated a huge number of their own fans. I won't be going back to Arsenal, even if they back down.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

In 2018/19 the Champions League generates €3.25bn per annum of which Liverpool got €111mn for winning the competition. €2bn went to the clubs, €1.25bn did not.
    Is that including solidarity payments to associations missing out on the group stages?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

The literal rock at the centre of this proposal is special entrenched treatment for the "founding fathers". If they wanted the Champions League sans UEFA they could have created the Champions League sans UEFA, but they didn't.

Change that aspect and I'd not be surprised if most people were in favour, and other clubs flock to it. It's not like people like UEFA. But it's indefensibly unfair as it stands, as it was the last time there was a proposal to treat specific clubs better than others even if they performed badly.

TOPPING said:

I made this point earlier. The BBC then suggested some spoiler actions that could be tried, such as declaring ESL games to be free to air. At which point Sky swing behind the 6 teams saying "hang on, don't go that far"
    Which takes us back to Oliver Dowden's impressive performance in Parliament today. Impressive, but very much stage 3 of "hammer the facts, hammer the law, hammer the table."
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

Both sides have a point. The great clubs ARE a worldwide brand - Barca, Man U, Real, Bayern, Liverpool

They probably deserve more of the spoils

BUT the leagues and cups are also a storied brand, especially the EPL and UCL - arguably a better brand than any individual club. So they need respecting, too, and a closed shop franchise system is abhorrently inferior as a "replacement"

There must be a middle ground where they can meet, but the debate is now so bitter it could be too late. The clubs did this at an insane time in an insane way, during a pandemic about 5 weeks before the season culminates, guaranteeing a poisonous atmosphere. THEY are entirely to blame for that
    ClippP said:

Michael Gove is visiting Israel to study a COVID "green pass" smartphone app that could soon be the model for vaccine passports in the UK.

The Cabinet Office minister, in charge of a Whitehall study into how coronavirus certification might work in the UK, has been a big fan of the Israeli scheme for weeks.

He is being accompanied on his visit by Jonathan Van-Tam, England's deputy chief medical officer, who is hugely influential in the government's COVID strategy.

It is thought their visit involves meetings with Israel's health minister, Yuli Edelstein, and possibly with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, according to reports in Israel.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-michael-gove-visits-israel-to-study-countrys-green-pass-as-he-mulls-vaccine-passport-options-12280673

And the free five star hospitality.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    edited April 2021
    The Portuguese PM comes out against the Super League:

"@antoniocostapm
    A proposta de uma competição de futebol no espaço Europeu organizada fora das instituições representativas do setor, nomeadamente as Ligas, as Federações e a @UEFA, tem de ser recusada sem nenhuma hesitação."
    Leon said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

Both sides have a point. The great clubs ARE a worldwide brand - Barca, Man U, Real, Bayern, Liverpool

BUT the leagues and cups are also a storied brand, especially the EPL and UCL - arguably a better brand than any individual club. So they need respecting, too, and a closed shop franchise system is abhorrently inferior as a "replacement"

There must be a middle ground where they can meet, but the debate is now so bitter it could be too late. The clubs did this at an insane time in an insane way, during a pandemic about 5 weeks before the season culminates, guaranteeing a poisonous atmosphere. THEY are entirely to blame for that
    They don't deserve more of the spoils by virtue of being THEM. You can argue for more spoils going to the most successful clubs, whoever they may be in a particular season, but not specific entrenched clubs.

TOPPING said:

Fuck Sky. Do it
  • FWIW my expectation is that a compromise will be made.

A 48 or 64 team Champions League with maybe a dozen automatic qualifiers, regardless of league position.

The simple truth for UEFA and the clubs is that the current tv schedule doesn't maximise revenue.

Playing on Tuesday and Wednesday nights depresses the value of the American and Asian TV rights.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see the CL move to the weekend.

Kicks offs at 12pm, 3pm, 5.30pm, and 7.30pm on Saturdays and Sundays will increase the value of the TV rights in America and Asia. Which means more money for UEFA and the clubs.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226
    The numbers infected continue to fall:

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    ydoethur said:

We’ve missed your guiding hand...
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,037
    ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

Not that old one-star joint in Bethlehem, then?

FWIW my expectation is that a compromise will be made.

A 48 or 64 team Champions League with maybe a dozen automatic qualifiers, regardless of league position.

The simple truth for UEFA and the clubs is that the current tv schedule doesn't maximise revenue.

Playing on Tuesday and Wednesday nights depresses the value of the American and Asian TV rights.

Kicks offs at 12pm, 3pm, 5.30pm, and 7.30pm on Saturdays and Sundays will increase the value of the TV rights in America and Asia. Which means more money for UEFA and the clubs.

You think that would end this argument?!
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

The 6 English clubs seem to think that the football world revolves around them and that supporters will just moan for a week and then just accept this football non-competition.

If the 6 clubs think the supporters will just put up with this crap then they’re clearly delusional !

I know this bit is going to make you fume but they apparently see people like you and me as 'legacy fans' (a phrase which emerged this morning).

The big bosses don't particularly care about us. They're after the millions of fans around the world in places like Asia and the emerging market of America.

I know, I know. It's sick. But as I said, the time to complain was when the likes of Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyantook over Man City or Roman Abramovitch, Chelsea or Stanley Kroenke, Arsenal. For years "supporters" of these clubs were perfectly happy to put up with these owners so long as the glory glory of glittering trophies were delivered.

But these people are huge business operators. They know that there's a massive global market to tap for money and, I know it's shit, but your average fan wandering up the Seven Sisters road doesn't matter so much to them.
    You will never hear a bad word said about Khun Top or his late father at Leicester City. Best owners that we have ever had, and very respectful of the fans and traditions too.

Though it probably is the rise of Leicester (and the others like West Ham, and Wolves last season) that is behind this Super League. If we hadn't won the title, and then followed it up by consolidating a top 6 position, and probably Top 4, then the hegemony of the six would have stood. Teams like Arsenal and
    Spurs know that they have been eclipsed. That is how football should be, and they don't like it.
    Yes exactly. You only have to look into the past. Leeds. Forest. Derby. Times change. And so they should because football, bloody hell.
    I would gently point out that it's not just in football that times change. It's most sports. I think, for example, there have been no more than four teams who have been in English rugby union's top flight every season since its inception.
    What these teams are trying to do is rig the game so they always win. Indeed, that's what they've been trying to do for the last thirty years.
    Leon said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

They’re not the ‘great’ clubs they’re just the most ‘supported’ and richest clubs. My local semi pro side is older than all the big 6 and has a varied history without ever feeling the need to sell out its regular 400 fans.
    tlg86 said:

I assume by "a dozen automatic qualifiers, regardless of league position" he means that Liverpool should qualify every year regardless...
  • tlg86 said:

Yes, until the next media rights for the CL auction.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

Come on, Leeds :)
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226

The automatic qualifies could be clubs which were previous winners during the last decade or three.

Rather like how golfers who have won a tournament get an automatic invite even when they get crap or old.

tlg86 said:

I assume by "a dozen automatic qualifiers, regardless of league position" he means that Liverpool should qualify every year regardless...
    That's obviously objectionable, but the weekend thing is even more so. The dirty dozen clearly understand that the domestic leagues have some value to them. That's why they're happy to play their league midweek.

If UEFA tried to nab weekends, well, then it would be all out war.
  • tlg86 said:

No, I like the current situation where the league position determines if you qualify for next season's CL.

I'm fine for the exception that exists that the CL winner qualifies for next season's CL if they don't qualify via the league, ditto the winner of the Europa League.

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

They don't deserve more of the spoils by virtue of being THEM. You can argue for more spoils going to the most successful clubs, whoever they may be in a particular season, but not specific entrenched clubs.
    Yes. Entirely so

What most sticks in the craw is the self selected Founding Fathers (OMFG) who will be the richest clubs for the rest of time and can never be demoted.

Anyone who has ever followed football in any way finds that loathsome. I used to be a passionate football fan (going to my hometown Division 3 reserve matches!), now I tune in for occasional EPL games, UCL big nights, and the World Cup/euros

But I understand the importance of a fluid system as against a terrible entrenched football aristocracy, where every lesser club is deemed an untouchable, which shall never rise above its proper lowly status

UGH
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

17.5 not 14.5.

At 5'9" ?

lol.

Nice one.
    Perhaps if Johnson had better posture, and not the round shouldered, stooping Churchillian gait, he might actually be the 6ft 4", his fanbois on PB desire.
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

That's obviously objectionable, but the weekend thing is even more so. The dirty dozen clearly understand that the domestic leagues have some value to them. That's why they're happy to play their league midweek.

If UEFA tried to nab weekends, well, then it would be all out war.
    The bunfight over playing weekends for the CL ended when Platini got into trouble.

But it is going to rear its head soon.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

Interesting that the LibDems hsve picked up a bit.after a long period deep in the doldrums. Getting some reward for making dubious noises on lockdown, or just more visible as there are elections going on?

Yes.
    Oliver Dowden has pledged to stop this European Super League madness. How does he propose to do this? And will taking their ball home really work?
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,037

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

I must be one of the few people left alive who saw them beaten 10-1 - a scoreline that flattered them.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Well, I admire your optimism.
    Sounds suspiciously like a terrible anticlimax is in the offing. Probably involving the letters V and A, but not necessarily in that order.
    moonshine said:
    Very amusing that it is in the Sun.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025

The automatic qualifies could be clubs which were previous winners during the last decade or three.

Rather like how golfers who have won a tournament get an automatic invite even when they get crap or old.
    To be honest, I'd have no problem if we were inviting, say, early 80s Liverpool even though they are now crap and old. Let's get Jan Molby and Graeme Sounness out of retirement. That'll learn 'em.

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

That would be . . . a compromise.
    Just have one enormously large supra-national European superleague that constitutes all leagues in all countries, so that every 14.7 years the famous Forfar Athletic - Real Madrid derby comes round again.

ydoethur said:

ClippP said:

Not that old one-star joint in Bethlehem, then?
    Don’t be an ass!
  • Oliver Dowden has pledged to stop this European Super League madness. How does he propose to do this? And will taking their ball home really work?

He doesn't. He is a member of Liar's cabinet. Get the headline. Move on. The issue itself? Who cares.

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

That would be . . . a compromise.
    What would be a compromise?
    Chris Williams
    @Chris78Williams
    NEW: A further UEFA mtg will now take place within the next 24 hours. There will be a motion to formally expel Arsenal and Manchester United from the #UEL and Man City, Chelsea and Real Madrid from the #UCL - meeting will also decide how the competitions will be completed.

https://twitter.com/Chris78Williams/status/1384193081746984961
    moonshine said:
    Good words from Boris. I hope when these wretched clubs come crawling back to the Premier League they’re slapped with a 30 point deduction at the very least.

The trick is going to be to define a mechanism which means that the Arsenals of the world reliably qualify and get reliably enormous sums of money every year without making it too blatant. There must be a set of UEFA coefficients that will do that.

Oliver Dowden has pledged to stop this European Super League madness. How does he propose to do this? And will taking their ball home really work?

He doesn't. He is a member of Liar's cabinet. Get the headline. Move on. The issue itself? Who cares.
    The usual suspects are loving Johnson's rhetoric. "Bozza speaking to the red wall" takes the cake I think.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    Has someone suggested doing a cover of this yet to get the juices flowing? John Barnes needs to do the rap again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re4aDJL3heA
    Looks like the bookies have suspended the UCL and UEL markets.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,505

The usual suspects are loving Johnson's rhetoric. "Bozza speaking to the red wall" takes the cake I think.
    What am I a usual suspect of? I’ve written to my MP three times asking him to no confidence Boris.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You don't.

Yes.

Remember that EUFA also sells the rights to the European Championships.

Where do the EUFA billions go? Not into football, that's for sure.
This discussion has been closed.