Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

I’d like to see betting markets on how many MPs and MSPs defect to Alba by the end of May – politica

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    UK case summary

• Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    alex_ said:

I think that what some people may be overlooking is that unlike last year, the Government are really keen to make the lifting of restrictions a NATIONAL unlocking. That means that it is mistaken to be looking at the national averages for those getting impatient, but you need to be looking at the slowest ships in the convoy.

So basically you need to be watching the North East.
    By North East I take it you mean Yorkshire?
    I bloody hope so. 'Cos we've been in Tier 4 since September 18.
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    UK R

from case data

from hospitalisations

• Options
    Age related data

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Probably cost us 5 million AZ doses if we win this lol
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    dixiedean said:

alex_ said:

I think that what some people may be overlooking is that unlike last year, the Government are really keen to make the lifting of restrictions a NATIONAL unlocking. That means that it is mistaken to be looking at the national averages for those getting impatient, but you need to be looking at the slowest ships in the convoy.

So basically you need to be watching the North East.
    By North East I take it you mean Yorkshire?
    I bloody hope so. 'Cos we've been in Tier 4 since September 18.
    September (20)18? That's impressive foresight!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Age related data scaled to 100K population per age group

• Options
    UK vaccinations

• Options
    England CFR

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137

UK Local R

Discontinued - the low level of cases means that local R now varies wildly with tiny handful of cases and is generally not meaningful

Like the Orkneys and Shetlands have been since the start I guess.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    justin124 said:

If things become very bitter between the SNP and ALBA, a significant number of supporters of the latter might well abstain from casting a vote in the constituency ballot - indeed a few may decide to support other parties out of spite!

I still find it remarkable that two parties that hate each other viscerally at many levels are supposed to be a good thing for their common aim. It’s just weird.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    Well done to her , those two gutless no users should be thankful Salmond is helping them out.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    Pulpstar said:

Probably cost us 5 million AZ doses if we win this lol

I didn't know Albania have such influence.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Ridiculous law in ODI/T20 Cricket that Out reviewed becomes a dead ball not runs scored. England ran a run then, finger up after they'd ran, reviewed and it was never meant to be out.

If you're going to make it a dead ball then you should have to rebowl the delivery, not void the run scored and lose a ball left.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Umpires in the cricket more bias than the French rugby ref.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576

Ridiculous law in ODI/T20 Cricket that Out reviewed becomes a dead ball not runs scored. England ran a run then, finger up after they'd ran, reviewed and it was never meant to be out.

If you're going to make it a dead ball then you should have to rebowl the delivery, not void the run scored and lose a ball left.

True. I wasn't aware of that law.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Me neither until the last ODI when it played in England's favour but at a less critical moment. Then it was given out LBW with the ball running to the ropes. Review shows the batsman nicked the ball so can't be LBW and should have been 4 runs but became dead ball instead.

At this stage where ever ball counts a dot ball is a bonus for the fielders.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

UK Local R

Discontinued - the low level of cases means that local R now varies wildly with tiny handful of cases and is generally not meaningful

I am kind of sad that no-one used it to launch a Daily Mail style BLOCKADE THE SHETLAND PLAGUE ISLANDS! thing
  • Options
    Wood dropped with a dolly. Wow!
  • Options
    Curran dropped! Jeez.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Re- Hartlepool I see that S Markets now have Labour on 1.8 to back with the Tories at 2.2. How narrow a favourite does that make Labour?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    DougSeal said:

justin124 said:

If things become very bitter between the SNP and ALBA, a significant number of supporters of the latter might well abstain from casting a vote in the constituency ballot - indeed a few may decide to support other parties out of spite!

I still find it remarkable that two parties that hate each other viscerally at many levels are supposed to be a good thing for their common aim. It’s just weird.
    All down to Labour's crap voting system that was to ensure the independence supporters never got a majority, they did a grand job.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

On topic, do we know whether Albion will contest the by-election?

Perfidious?
  • Options

Curran dropped! Jeez.

Indian bookmarkers been on the phone?
  • Options
    Oh what a shame for that run out.

Hope that gets you with England.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

UK Local R

I am kind of sad that no-one used it to launch a Daily Mail style BLOCKADE THE SHETLAND PLAGUE ISLANDS! thing
    I tried but it didn’t get traction
  • Options

Oh what a shame for that run out.

Hope that gets you with England.

Maybe a good thing that he slipped because he wouldn't have made it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916
    justin124 said:

Re- Hartlepool I see that S Markets now have Labour on 1.8 to back with the Tories at 2.2. How narrow a favourite does that make Labour?

55/45

I think they are worthy favs personally.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Me neither until the last ODI when it played in England's favour but at a less critical moment. Then it was given out LBW with the ball running to the ropes. Review shows the batsman nicked the ball so can't be LBW and should have been 4 runs but became dead ball instead.

Could cost England the game.
  • Options
    So close! What an exciting finish.

Shame for Curran he didn't get his century.

Well played India.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Strange rule, but it is the same for both sides I guess. Exciting game anyway
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Magnificent performance in the Grand Prix.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525
    I think that level of chutzpah required is beyond most politicians these days.

I wonder what the evidence is for that brave proposition!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed. Had that been a run, then he'd have had to have still gone for a yorker in the final delivery and a six would have sent it to a Super Over.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

So close! What an exciting finish.

Shame for Curran he didn't get his century.

Well played India.

I think they turned down too many singles. With 4 overs to go, I think you just have to trust Wood to get bat on ball / run to the keeper.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

UK Local R

I tried but it didn’t get traction
    Don't give up the day job :smiley:
  • Options
    Spain are 1-0 down against Georgia in the world cup qualifier.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    edited March 2021
    To anyone who sometimes watches the Grand Prix highlights, you’ll definitely want to watch this one!

(Waves at @Morris_Dancer)

Get in there, Sir Lewis!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good evening, everyone.

F1: writing the post-race ramble. Not a bad season opener.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

justin124 said:

All down to Labour's crap voting system that was to ensure the independence supporters never got a majority, they did a grand job.
    The voting system was designed (by the LDs) to stop Labour winning a majority. The SNP (6 MPs in 1997) weren't a consideration.
    If Labour had had their way, the system would be like Wales, where no matter how badly Labour do, they always get the FM.
  • Options
    isam said:

justin124 said:

55/45

I feel in fact it is fairly uncomplicated: Labour won last time; Tories might have scraped it but for the third candidate; national polling since has moved to tighten the gap between labour and Tory from 11 points to 6; such polling as there is on red/blue wall area suggests a swing to Labour. A lot of the 'Get Brexit Done' vote both Brexit and Tory won't turn out. Labour will win but not by much and are rightly favourites. Personally happy if I am wrong, as Labour have not changed enough to deserve to hold the seat.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    edited March 2021

Good evening, everyone.

Can't you just reuse any of the write-ups from last year? Or the last several years? Some cars drove round in circles for a bit and Lewis Hamilton won.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, ha.

Mr. JohnL, if I reused the writeup from the last race in Bahrain it'd include me having a 61 winning tip, which was not necessarily the case this time.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,341

Good evening, everyone.

Wolves roar muted?
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

Wolves roar muted?
    Ignore that
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed. Had that been a run, then he'd have had to have still gone for a yorker in the final delivery and a six would have sent it to a Super Over.
    Wolves roar muted?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Well done to her , those two gutless no users should be thankful Salmond is helping them out.
    I wonder what the long silence from Kate Forbes can mean.

• Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    algarkirk said:

isam said:

justin124 said:

55/45

I feel in fact it is fairly uncomplicated: Labour won last time; Tories might have scraped it but for the third candidate; national polling since has moved to tighten the gap between labour and Tory from 11 points to 6; such polling as there is on red/blue wall area suggests a swing to Labour. A lot of the 'Get Brexit Done' vote both Brexit and Tory won't turn out. Labour will win but not by much and are rightly favourites. Personally happy if I am wrong, as Labour have not changed enough to deserve to hold the seat.
    Against that, is the local Tory Mayor is very popular, the Labour candidate was very anti-Brexit (and while the issue is gone, it still is important in the culture wars game) and we are on the way to a vaccine rollout. Add in that SKS doesn't seem to be enthusing the voters. I think it's more slight edge to the Tories.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

isam said:

justin124 said:

55/45

They are not actively trying to stop Brexit now, well they can't, so, despite the person most responsible for trying to throw what Hartlepool's voters wanted in the bin now being Labour's leader, I don't think they will hold enough of a grudge. Tice should stand aside IMO and leave it to the Tories - If Farage has given up, the Brexit fight is won
  • Options
    Anyway, I'm off. Let's hope every race is that exciting (but more profitable) this season.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    For those wanting a clear-headed discussion of the AZN vaccine and CSVT, here is a good discussion article:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/03/rare-clotting-disorder-may-cloud-worlds-hopes-astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine

Summary, the jury is out, but the potential link and mechanism is credible, and in a world of multiple vaccines, the Macron approach might be right for AZN - hold it back for the crusties.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

For those wanting a clear-headed discussion of the AZN vaccine and CSVT, here is a good discussion article:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/03/rare-clotting-disorder-may-cloud-worlds-hopes-astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine

Summary, the jury is out, but the potential link and mechanism is credible, and in a world of multiple vaccines, the Macron approach might be right for AZN - hold it back for the crusties.

Wait.

I thought AZ was "quasi-ineffective" for older people? Or is this a different Macron we're talking about.
    Different day, different Macaroons........
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    TimT said:

I know I shouldn't laugh at them, but the initial decision to not use it on oldies really was fucking special.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Wait.

I thought AZ was "quasi-ineffective" for older people? Or is this a different Macron we're talking about.
    Well, we’ve always known that given the chance, he’ll screw older people.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Wait.

Of course.
    Macron remains a self regarding fool, but the current scientific discussion of a possible rare clotting side effect is entirely appropriate, however inconvenient.

Particularly as it might be readily treatable.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Wait.

Of course.
    Macron remains a self regarding fool, but the current scientific discussion of a possible rare clotting side effect is entirely appropriate, however inconvenient.

I've been asking myself, "would I (a 34 year old male) accept the AZ vaccine right now?" Yes, if I was told that I should have it, but I'm not too upset that I don't have to worry about it right now.

But then I'm not scared of COVID...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Wait.

Of course.

Fair point.
  • Options
    isam said:
    Whether or not it was based on him (unlikely), I always Peter Walker was a fairly close analogue to Jim Hacker.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    The capabilities of the Queen piece in chess are definitely an example of female liberation, because originally the Queen had a much more limited set of moves, and the newer version was mocked as the 'mad Queen' version till everyone realised it was more fun, and switched over. So I'd say calling it sexist (against women) is a definite misread.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Wait.

Of course.

The issue I have is with the recommendation to limit use. That sort of statement from random scientists just creates doubt and weapons for the anti-vaxxers.

The decision whether to use AZ for older or all people depends entirely on the population of a country, options they have available etc.
  • Options
    Meanwhile. Thinking of Macron, a forgotten crisis is getting steadily worse:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-lebanon-crisis-scenario-idUSKBN2BI1YY
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

isam said:
    Whether or not it was based on him (unlikely), I always Peter Walker was a fairly close analogue to Jim Hacker.
    He was apparently actually based on George Brown.

Improbable though that may seem.

Both the DAA and the Qumrani Embassy plot were based on Brown’s DEA and an unfortunate incident in Karachi.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    This is literally the plot of the Battlestar Galactica reboot of 2003
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Needs to be scaled for population, but otherwise, I agree.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    edited March 2021

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Wait.

Brilliant - I like that.

An escapee from a Jacques Tati film.

Update: even better the French is Macaron.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077
    This c*nting weather
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Wait.

Of course.

The issue I have is with the recommendation to limit use. That sort of statement from random scientists just creates doubt and weapons for the anti-vaxxers.

The decision whether to use AZ for older or all people depends entirely on the population of a country, options they have available etc.
    I agree.
    But discussion should be out in the open. Trying to shut it down is counterproductive.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    isam said:
    Can anyone come up with a *beast* of a question?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Wait.

Brilliant - I like that.

An escapee from a Jacques Tati film.

Update: even better the French is Macaron.
    It helps to laugh.....

I must re-watch the Life Aquatic.....
  • Options
    What Jim Hacker is doing now?

Sadly I'd have assumed Hacker would be dead by now.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Evening all :)

Crunching some numbers from the vaccination update to 25th March.

In Newham, 78.2% of 75-79 year olds and 78.1% of those aged 80+ have received a first vaccination so that's an improvement. 59% of all adults over 50 have received a first vaccination.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Needs to be scaled for population, but otherwise, I agree.
    The problem then is scaling to actual cases - different testing regimes etc, no ONS style surveys....
  • Options
    MattW said:

isam said:
    Can anyone come up with a *beast* of a question?
    Ask him about VAT returns.....
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965
    I ❤️ B S T
  • Options
    MaffewMaffew Posts: 235
    Leon said:

This c*nting weather

I was doing karate in the park, as I do every Sunday morning, and the wind was so strong it was quite difficult to keep my balance at times.
  • Options
    Leon said:

This c*nting weather

• Options
    edited March 2021

What Jim Hacker is doing now?

Sadly I'd have assumed Hacker would be dead by now.

In a spoof obituary for Politico’s Book of the Dead written by Jay and Lynn, Hacker was given the same dates of birth and death as Paul Eddington.

The novelisations also said he was dead by 2022 (‘the bell rang for the Last Division’).

Although they said Bernard Woolley was still alive in 2024 and as we know, sadly Derek Fowlds isn’t.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    They should have just gone Chinese, would have been cheaper and superior....
  • Options
    Leon said:

This c*nting weather

It will be well into the 70s in old money in the next few days. Keep the faith.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    isam said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Absolute rubbish. The snow won’t happen. The warm weather this week will, though.
  • Options
    Maffew said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

I was doing karate in the park, as I do every Sunday morning, and the wind was so strong it was quite difficult to keep my balance at times.
    Every cloud...we’ve generated 40%+ of our electricity from wind all day today. That must be if not the first, one of the first times of doing so when demand wasn’t unusually low.
  • Options
    "Mexican government admits the country’s true Covid death toll is 321,059 - almost 60% higher than previously reported"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9411609/Mexicos-true-COVID-19-death-toll-stands-321-000.html
  • Options
    edited March 2021

I ❤️ B S T

Is that a k-pop band? ;-)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Mexican government admits the country’s true Covid death toll is 321,059 - almost 60% higher than previously reported"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9411609/Mexicos-true-COVID-19-death-toll-stands-321-000.html

You'll never get that honesty from Russia.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker
  • Options
    Maffew said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Just normal early springtime variations. No need for drama.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

It will be well into the 70s in old money in the next few days. Keep the faith.
    Where ? Seeing 60s and dry, though a bit windy tommorow which will be OK as we have the in laws round the garden. But not 70s.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Blimey, but fair play to them for doing further analysis. We might get a few more of these.
This discussion has been closed.