Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

I’d like to see betting markets on how many MPs and MSPs defect to Alba by the end of May – politica

Comments

• Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,298

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

justin124 said:

If things become very bitter between the SNP and ALBA, a significant number of supporters of the latter might well abstain from casting a vote in the constituency ballot - indeed a few may decide to support other parties out of spite!

I still find it remarkable that two parties that hate each other viscerally at many levels are supposed to be a good thing for their common aim. It’s just weird.
    All down to Labour's crap voting system that was to ensure the independence supporters never got a majority, they did a grand job.
    The voting system was designed (by the LDs) to stop Labour winning a majority. The SNP (6 MPs in 1997) weren't a consideration.
    If Labour had had their way, the system would be like Wales, where no matter how badly Labour do, they always get the FM.
    Actually it was a compromise, since the Lib Dems insisted that PR of some kind was at least to be considered by the Scottish Constitutional Convention. In fact the Lib Dems would have preferred STV. However, although Labour initially refused to deal with Malcolm Bruce on that basis, the Lib Dems forced the issue, and Labour, and in particular Donald Dewar, realized that the Convention without the Lib Dems would have been a dead letter especially after Gordon Wilson flounced.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    Leon said:

This c*nting weather

A nice bit of evening sunshine, in readiness for the heatwave to come, and even the wind has dropped a bit. Cant complain.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited March 2021
    Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

justin124 said:

If things become very bitter between the SNP and ALBA, a significant number of supporters of the latter might well abstain from casting a vote in the constituency ballot - indeed a few may decide to support other parties out of spite!

I still find it remarkable that two parties that hate each other viscerally at many levels are supposed to be a good thing for their common aim. It’s just weird.
    All down to Labour's crap voting system that was to ensure the independence supporters never got a majority, they did a grand job.
    The voting system was designed (by the LDs) to stop Labour winning a majority. The SNP (6 MPs in 1997) weren't a consideration.
    If Labour had had their way, the system would be like Wales, where no matter how badly Labour do, they always get the FM.
    Actually it was a compromise, since the Lib Dems insisted that PR of some kind was at least to be considered by the Scottish Constitutional Convention. In fact the Lib Dems would have preferred STV. However, although Labour initially refused to deal with Malcolm Bruce on that basis, the Lib Dems forced the issue, and Labour, and in particular Donald Dewar, realized that the Convention without the Lib Dems would have been a dead letter especially after Gordon Wilson flounced.
    Labour had a landslide majority and set the terms of devolution.

The Lib Dems were an irrelevance and they remain so now after PR.

Its almost as if the Lib Dems don't represent people and its not the voting system that stymies them!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,039
    edited March 2021

Andy_JS said:

"Mexican government admits the country’s true Covid death toll is 321,059 - almost 60% higher than previously reported"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9411609/Mexicos-true-COVID-19-death-toll-stands-321-000.html

You'll never get that honesty from Russia.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker
    I wish they'd update this table more often.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

A nice bit of evening sunshine, in readiness for the heatwave to come, and even the wind has dropped a bit. Cant complain.
    Leon is the sort of person who if given a million pounds in gold would complain it was too heavy.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904
    edited March 2021
    Hartlepool By Election

Lab 1.86
    Con 2.12

I really think its 50/50 mainly due to

https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1376224063371218953/photo/1
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Andy_JS said:

"Mexican government admits the country’s true Covid death toll is 321,059 - almost 60% higher than previously reported"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9411609/Mexicos-true-COVID-19-death-toll-stands-321-000.html

Actually a couple of months ago the Russian statistical authority did more or less say "All those other excess deaths? COVID-19." It's not quite the Kremlin, but at least some parts of the Russian government are being honest.
  • Options

Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

justin124 said:

Labour had a landslide majority and set the terms of the Convention.

Its almost as if the Lib Dems don't represent people and its not the voting system that stymies them!
    I think he’s talking about the earlier cross-political and indeed cross-society convention that reported in 1995, which is what Labour used as the basis for its devolutionary blueprint.

So, before they had a landslide majority.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,035
    PBers may be interested to know that partner is currently holding a therapy session with an experimental AI patient.*

* patient because it is being designed to train US psychologists. Or Clinical psychs over here.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed, some countries are laughably out of date.

Bizarrely they've gone backwards with Italy, it was up to November back in January, its now up to October.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,591
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Leon is the sort of person who if given a million pounds in gold would complain it was too heavy.
    I am equally over-enthusiastic and prone to ridiculous negativity, often at the same time

But it does feel like this spring is unusually cold and grey, so far. That may, however, be a product of the absurdly sunny and lovely spring we had last year. The sunniest on record, basically
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

I am equally over-enthusiastic and prone to ridiculous negativity, often at the same time

But it does feel like this spring is unusually cold and grey, so far. That may, however, be a product of the absurdly sunny and lovely spring we had last year. The sunniest on record, basically
    Yes, it is. So far, it has been a perfectly normal spring. Last year was anything but normal due to the lack of emissions especially in China.

The other thing that might be fooling you is that January and February were quite cold and wet - not ridiculously so, but above average - as was the autumn. So it feels like we have been in a miserable climate situation ever since October.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

justin124 said:

I think he’s talking about the earlier cross-political and indeed cross-society convention that reported in 1995, which is what Labour used as the basis for its devolutionary blueprint.

Yes the "cross-political" convention that excluded Tories, excluded the SNP. 🙄

So a Labour/Lib-Dem fudge. That could have been replaced with a Labour fudge. There was nothing representative about it.
  • Options
    MaffewMaffew Posts: 235

Maffew said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

I was doing karate in the park, as I do every Sunday morning, and the wind was so strong it was quite difficult to keep my balance at times.
    Just normal early springtime variations. No need for drama.
    No drama, just unpleasant! As you say, normal variation in weather.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,298

Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

justin124 said:

No I am talking about the Convention, so a cheap, but irrelevant jibe. In fact I think both Labour and the Lib Dems will recover in this election in any event. The Alba/SNP bitterness is turning what should have been an electoral ploy into an effective split in the Nationalist camp, while also alienating the Greens. Meanwhile the Tories have no potential coalition partners, so I think the best guess is an SNP Minority, but I could see things going badly wrong for the SNP if the Alba voters don´t play ball in the constituencies.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Yes, it is. So far, it has been a perfectly normal spring. Last year was anything but normal due to the lack of emissions especially in China.

The other thing that might be fooling you is that January and February were quite cold and wet - not ridiculously so, but above average - as was the autumn. So it feels like we have been in a miserable climate situation ever since October.
    Yes, that sounds about right

Also, personally, pre-plague, I used to travel a LOT, especially during the dire English winter. I always escaped somewhere nice and hot, at least for a fortnight, usually MUCH more than that, from October-March

This is probably the first time in 20 years I have spent an entire autumn and winter in the UK. And I can safely say that this modest calamity will never happen again, pandemics permitting
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

justin124 said:

So a Labour/Lib-Dem fudge. That could have been replaced with a Labour fudge. There was nothing representative about it.
    AIUI they weren’t excluded, they just didn’t take part. Although the government trying to cut off its funding probably didn’t endear them to the Tories.

The fact is however that when what they came up with was put to the vote it got as near as bugger it 75% of the vote on a 60% turnout, so it’s difficult to argue their conclusions were unrepresentative.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

justin124 said:

No I am talking about the Convention, so a cheap, but irrelevant jibe. In fact I think both Labour and the Lib Dems will recover in this election in any event. The Alba/SNP bitterness is turning what should have been an electoral ploy into an effective split in the Nationalist camp, while also alienating the Greens. Meanwhile the Tories have no potential coalition partners, so I think the best guess is an SNP Minority, but I could see things going badly wrong for the SNP if the Alba voters don´t play ball in the constituencies.
    Not an irrelevant jibe. The "Convention" was a joke that was a Labour/Lib-Dem fudge. It wasn't backed by the Tories, it wasn't backed by the SNP. So saying "the Convention backed this" is just a case of saying that Labour + Lib Dems backed it.

What makes the Lib Dems so important as to be listened to while the SNP and Tories were ignored by the Convention? It wasn't winning elections that gave them power.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Is there a proven correlation between the drop in emissions and our sensational spring in 2020?

That would surprise me
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    It's cold, it's wet. it's windy here, it's darker than yesterday despite the clock change. I'm sick of working from home on my own for a year, I still don't really see much meaningful end to lockdown (Scotland flavour) and I'm not afraid to admit I'm feeling fucking miserable.

If it wasn't for the fun with Alba, the first F1 race of the season and the snooker I think I'd be happy to be repeatedly smashed in the face with a cricket bat.
  • Options

It's cold, it's wet. it's windy here, it's darker than yesterday despite the clock change. I'm sick of working from home on my own for a year, I still don't really see much meaningful end to lockdown (Scotland flavour) and I'm not afraid to admit I'm feeling fucking miserable.

If it wasn't for the fun with Alba, the first F1 race of the season and the snooker I think I'd be happy to be repeatedly smashed in the face with a cricket bat.

Hah. Glad I'm not alone

I woke up in a terrible mood - like yours. Just one of those lockdown dips that leap out at you, and the Black Dog pins you to the floor. Often for no reason. Tho today the dreary, perpetually grey weather has not helped.

In the end I had a nice day - family, cooking, new puppy, wine - but now I dip again. The extended evening light just reveals the bleakness further into the night.

Hopefully next week's sun will boost everyone. We need it.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    edited March 2021

Do something physical. Then open the best bottle of wine in your house.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Is there a proven correlation between the drop in emissions and our sensational spring in 2020?

That would surprise me
    No, or at least, not so far as I know.

Next question - is it a linked that when emissions drop suddenly and substantially fewer clouds are seeded and therefore more solar rays reach the earth? Or, is it a coincidence that this happens on both the modern occasions there was a stoppage (the other being when air traffic was suspended in the US after 9/11 and the temperature spiked 2c).

Answer - it may be a coincidence, but it seems more likely to be a link.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

justin124 said:

AIUI they weren’t excluded, they just didn’t take part. Although the government trying to cut off its funding probably didn’t endear them to the Tories.

The fact is however that when what they came up with was put to the vote it got as near as bugger it 75% of the vote on a 60% turnout, so it’s difficult to argue their conclusions were unrepresentative.
    The referendum was based on the whole lot that was put together, not every individual element like the Labour/Lib Dem attempted fudge of the voting system.

Its worth noting that when voting system alone was voted on in 2011 with the AV referendum, the Scots backed keeping FPTP over changing the voting system by 64% to 36%.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

That would surprise me

Next question - is it a linked that when emissions drop suddenly and substantially fewer clouds are seeded and therefore more solar rays reach the earth? Or, is it a coincidence that this happens on both the modern occasions there was a stoppage (the other being when air traffic was suspended in the US after 9/11 and the temperature spiked 2c).

So you're saying that eliminating pollution might cause global warming? 🤔
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Also, personally, pre-plague, I used to travel a LOT, especially during the dire English winter. I always escaped somewhere nice and hot, at least for a fortnight, usually MUCH more than that, from October-March

This is probably the first time in 20 years I have spent an entire autumn and winter in the UK. And I can safely say that this modest calamity will never happen again, pandemics permitting
    In a normal year I like to travel in the autumn, and then next February or March. January I'm just too fucking depressed to enjoy it. Last year I was in Cyprus, next year I should be too as I have a deferred place in the Cyprus Half Marathon. This year was supposed to be Morocco :-(
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

That would surprise me

I remember the extraordinary clarity of the light last year. That was special. One day I stood on some cliffs and realised I could see about 100 miles, or so it felt
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,099
    Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Here in Hawaii the weather is absolutely (checks outside window) fabulous.
  • Options
    Maffew said:

Maffew said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

I was doing karate in the park, as I do every Sunday morning, and the wind was so strong it was quite difficult to keep my balance at times.
    Just normal early springtime variations. No need for drama.
    No drama, just unpleasant! As you say, normal variation in weather.
    Got out for a 12 mile run today, actually good running weather. Will be trapped in the spare room working next week, but I have a meeting I intend to attend in the garden on Tuesday 😊
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

That would surprise me
    Is "proven correlation" a thing?

• Options

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

In a normal year I like to travel in the autumn, and then next February or March. January I'm just too fucking depressed to enjoy it. Last year I was in Cyprus, next year I should be too as I have a deferred place in the Cyprus Half Marathon. This year was supposed to be Morocco :-(
    Try Thailand in January. It is fantastic. You don't need to go the islands or countryside, Bangkok is fine. The weather is PERFECT. Clear, very warm, sunny, but not stifling. You barely see a cloud or a drop of rain from one week to the next.

Everyone is in a relaxed good mood, it is like the Mediterranean in mid June. The evenings are delicious. The warm tropical nights, the sultry stars....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Stop, now
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    edited March 2021

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

That would surprise me

Depends on the pollution. Sulphur dioxide and aerosols have a cooling effect, carbon dioxide and methane have warming effects.
    Neither is going to have any noticeable effect in the space of a few months.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

Cicero said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

justin124 said:

Being pedantic, if the Lib Dems don’t represent people, then an electoral system where the representation is proportional to support would be zero advantage to them.
    Thus their support of PR must be down to principle rather than perception of advantage.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

That would surprise me

You can prove correlation very easily.

It's causation that's the difficult bit...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Try Thailand in January. It is fantastic. You don't need to go the islands or countryside, Bangkok is fine. The weather is PERFECT. Clear, very warm, sunny, but not stifling. You barely see a cloud or a drop of rain from one week to the next.

Everyone is in a relaxed good mood, it is like the Mediterranean in mid June. The evenings are delicious. The warm tropical nights, the sultry stars....
    Tx for the tip. I haven't been east of Madras so SE Asia is my next big target. Have looked at itineraries travelling about by train and sneaking over the border into Laos. I have a few options for October, Uzbekistan and Eqypt are probably favourites at the moment, if we're not sliding into winter restrictions by then.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Pulpstar said:
    If you believe that I have a cryptocurrency scheme to sell you.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

That would surprise me

Yes. Because they block the sun’s rays and partially offset the heating effect of greenhouse gases.

The scientists on the board would know more, but the steep rise in particulate emissions is thought to be the reason for a sustained period of cooling from the 1940s to the 1970s much talked about in the Great Global Warming Swindle.

There is more here, from a programme that long predates the pandemic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/dimming_trans.shtml
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Tx for the tip. I haven't been east of Madras so SE Asia is my next big target. Have looked at itineraries travelling about by train and sneaking over the border into Laos. I have a few options for October, Uzbekistan and Eqypt are probably favourites at the moment, if we're not sliding into winter restrictions by then.
    I've been considering Egypt as well. I bet you could get some amazing bargains this autumn. Aswan is wonderful from November onwards

Quite frankly the government can fuck itself with "travel restrictions" after June. Once I am double jabbed I will travel. What is the point in vaccination, otherwise? June will be the 15th month of quarantine, of one kind or another. Ca suffit
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Just eyeballing our graph on that table, I'm surprised by how many fewer excess deaths there were in our second wave than in the first. I'm guessing that's because the flu season last year hardly happened.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:
    If you believe that I have a cryptocurrency scheme to sell you.
    We've already seen public health officials take the view that "as the general public have got used to masks and social distancing we can keep doing that for years to come" type stuff, so yes, I am very sceptical of any new supposedly "temporary" measures in the name of covid.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

I've been considering Egypt as well. I bet you could get some amazing bargains this autumn. Aswan is wonderful from November onwards

Quite frankly the government can fuck itself with "travel restrictions" after June. Once I am double jabbed I will travel. What is the point in vaccination, otherwise? June will be the 15th month of quarantine, of one kind or another. Ca suffit
    Well quite. I was looking at Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Alex, El Alamein. Doable in a fortnight and they appear to have decent trains and internal flights.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,167
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

It will be well into the 70s in old money in the next few days. Keep the faith.
    Where ? Seeing 60s and dry, though a bit windy tommorow which will be OK as we have the in laws round the garden. But not 70s.
    Will be 70F easy peasy in London this week.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Yes, Cambodia, Malaysia and Vietnam are very good at that time of year too.

Also southern Mexico and central America.

Warm and dry. Perfect.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Stop, now
    It will be barbecue weather down here on Tuesday. Stop whining.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Well quite. I was looking at Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Alex, El Alamein. Doable in a fortnight and they appear to have decent trains and internal flights.
    Do the night train from Cairo to Luxor! It's great. Then you can go on to Aswan by boat down the Nille, or another train

The climate is sublime from November-Feb. Dry sunny warm. Very little humidity. Sitting on the terrace of the Old Cataract Hotel, sipping a gin and tonic, watching the sun set over the islands and the palms and the Nubian boats on the Nile. Hard to beat....

SIGH
  • Options
    England in March != Menton in May.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Warm and dry. Perfect.
    Oaxaca is a marvellous town. Or it was.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

What Jim Hacker is doing now?

Sadly I'd have assumed Hacker would be dead by now.

He wouldn't have been selling his reputation for Aussie gold.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Warm and dry. Perfect.
    I think it still is, but my favourite cities in those parts are Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende. Perfect Spanish colonial cities. The latter is a bit gringo for many tastes, but the former is much more Mexican.
  • Options
    Maffew said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Did you get blown into the bank? I'm told that can be quite awkward.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,296
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Warm and dry. Perfect.
    I think it still is, but my favourite cities in those parts are Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende. Perfect Spanish colonial cities. The latter is a bit gringo for many tastes, but the former is much more Mexican.
    The coast of Oaxaca state is wild. Untouched beaches and spirited hedonism

The drug wars are such a catastrophe
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

That would surprise me

I hope you are not suggesting that reducing modern traffic (especially planes) will exacerbate global warming.. that will get you cancelled :lol:
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Warm and dry. Perfect.
    I would kill for Blackpool or Scarborough at the moment.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Warm and dry. Perfect.
    When I was there it was just too hot and humid to do anything so I pretty much spent three days next to a fan or a/c. I preferred the mountain towns which were so much cooler.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,576
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Stick your head *outside* the window and check it is not too humid. There was a chap in the betting shop reckoned that was its downfall.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014
    Charles said:

https://twitter.com/matthewsyed/status/1376224261665390596?s=21
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Warm and dry. Perfect.
    When I was there it was just too hot and humid to do anything so I pretty much spent three days next to a fan or a/c. I preferred the mountain towns which were so much cooler.
    It can get very sticky but if you get the right weather it's amazing. It feels like pristine unsullied coastline, with lots of mad sexy people. And a determined, sensual lawlessness

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,133

weather has been horrible today for sure
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,781
    Andy_JS said:
    It is 21 minutes. I lasted 21 seconds.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Stop, now
    It will be barbecue weather down here on Tuesday. Stop whining.
    ***checks forecast***

* Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (when stuck at work - some of us still actually have to travel to a place of work): looks really rather nice
    * Thursday onwards, for as far ahead as it goes, including all over Easter: cold grey dingy crap

Still not much rain on the horizon, but then again the forecast only goes up to the 10th. The torrential lashing storms won't arrive until the 12th.
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

https://twitter.com/matthewsyed/status/1376224261665390596?s=21
    Disclaimer: I was in the same year as Sanjeev at Trinity, and so knew him a little. (The same year, FWIW, as Tristram Hunt and only a year or two in front of Kwasi Kwarteng.)

Sanjeev was a very shrewd and hard working guy, who built a successful commodities trading business over 25 years.

But he got cocky. He also thirsted after more than being a pretty rich guy who traded metals. The downturn in commodities prices provided him with an opportunity: he could buy loss making plants from big listed metals companies, with borrowed money guaranteed by politicians desperate to prevent plants from closing. If metals prices rose, these plants would become profitable, and he'd make billions. If they fell, well...

Like a lot of people who's luck only seemed to go in one direction, he redoubled at every opportunity. Need money to keep the business going: there are always ways to borrow more money.

And now Greenshill has gone bust. And GFG is hundreds of millions (perhaps billions) in debt. And those loss making plants? They're still loss making.

Sanjeev will survive. He'll have a lot of personal wealth outside the GFG empire. But governments will be writing cheques to cover guarantees they should never have made. And unprofitable steel plants will be closing.

Unless the government wishes to subsidise someone else with more guarantees...
  • Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

That would surprise me

I hope you are not suggesting that reducing modern traffic (especially planes) will exacerbate global warming.. that will get you cancelled :lol:
    Really? I thought ecowarriors like Extinction Rebellion fully approved of long distance air travel. Certainly they use it often enough:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8887456/sky-news-posh-eco-activist-boys-school/
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-47991377
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/environment/2020/01/05/extinction-rebellion-activists-embroiled-row-whether-flying/
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Stick your head *outside* the window and check it is not too humid. There was a chap in the betting shop reckoned that was its downfall.
    I'm sitting on my balcony. It seems pretty pleasant here. But what do I know?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Andy_JS said:
    Does anyone listen to Russel Brand any more?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    MattW said:

Andy_JS said:
    Why would you even click on the play arrow?
  • Options
    On Moderna: one reads that the likely delivery due in April is about 500,000 doses. So, happy days are here again for 49-and-a-half year olds. Bugger all use to anyone else.

Months of lovely waiting still stretches into the distance. Joy.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited March 2021
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

Andy_JS said:
    Does anyone listen to Russel Brand any more?
    Far less than a few years ago, after he took the capitalist dollar and put his podcast behind a paywall.....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

Warm and dry. Perfect.
    It can get very sticky but if you get the right weather it's amazing. It feels like pristine unsullied coastline, with lots of mad sexy people. And a determined, sensual lawlessness

Yes, Mazunte was great. So many turtles...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015

On Moderna: one reads that the likely delivery due in April is about 500,000 doses. So, happy days are here again for 49-and-a-half year olds. Bugger all use to anyone else.

Wasn't it that the first shipment was that much, not the entire amount expected?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Just wondering, is it a function of our changed society, the declining importance of the dead tree press or jusr Boris, that the Mirror have clearly paid big bucks for the dirt on the PMs affair and it is basically getting about as much coverage as a similar story of a footballer been caught playing away?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,515
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

That would surprise me

Can i also add the Icelandic volcano in 2010 to the list if times when we had very nice weather? It was about the time my first daughter was born, and was absolutely glorious.

I'd say the weather has been pretty pleasant of late though. A bit wetter today, but it's been largely warm-ish and dry-ish. Not quite up to last year's standard, but better than average I'd say.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

That's just the first delivery, not the whole April consignment. The first delivery of AZ was about 500k, we've had around 15m delivered since then. The media have got morons researching this stuff.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Wasn't it that the first shipment was that much, not the entire amount expected?
    Well quite, though exactly how long the rest of it might take to turn up is anybody's guess.

We're basically reliant on the Phase One rollout being enough to avoid having to drag out this wretched lockdown until about October. I suspect that it probably is, but it will need to be. The rest of it looks like it's going to get done at a snail's pace.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That's just the first delivery, not the whole April consignment. The first delivery of AZ was about 500k, we've had around 15m delivered since then. The media have got morons researching this stuff.
    I think morons NOT doing research is more like it....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That’s deeply unfair and offensive, Max.

To morons, that is.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

AIUI, the Lonza plant is Switzerland is ramping pretty quickly, and they should be producing 800k doses a day by the middle of April.

Also worth noting that J&J is delivering 11 million doses to the US government this coming week, so they must be pretty close to 1.5m doses a day.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

AIUI, the Lonza plant is Switzerland is ramping pretty quickly, and they should be producing 800k doses a day by the middle of April.

Also worth noting that J&J is delivering 11 million doses to the US government this coming week, so they must be pretty close to 1.5m doses a day.
    I assume getting them to the UK will be a bit like the Berlin airlift.
  • Options

Just wondering, is it a function of our changed society, the declining importance of the dead tree press or jusr Boris, that the Mirror have clearly paid big bucks for the dirt on the PMs affair and it is basically getting about as much coverage as a similar story of a footballer been caught playing away?

Well, we need a superinjunction form some dimwitted judge to make it interesting.

This clip contains the most glorious line ever from Joshua Rosenberg, who apparently didn’t realise what he’d said:

https://youtu.be/TDvKFO1k0bs
  • Options

Just wondering, is it a function of our changed society, the declining importance of the dead tree press or just Boris, that the Mirror have clearly paid big bucks for the dirt on the PMs affair and it is basically getting about as much coverage as a similar story of a footballer been caught playing away?

The story is hardly a revelation - Ms Arcuri may be offering some extra details but the basics have been known about for some time; that, and I think that sex scandals - so long as there's no implication of sexual abuse being involved - no longer attract that much opprobrium or even interest.

So, it's mainly societal. We are no longer in the world of thirty years ago with the Antonia de Sancha revelations. Besides which, the key element of hypocrisy that was present in John Major's time is also absent here. Boris Johnson's colourful past is well known, and there's been nothing like Back to Basics to use as a stick with which to beat him.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

This c*nting weather

That would surprise me

You can prove correlation very easily.

It's causation that's the difficult bit...
    I think the better phrasing would be 'demonstrated correlation'.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Yeah I've heard it's a really good ramp up, better than AZ for sure. As Charles pointed out, it's the difference between a chemical process and a biological one.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,576

Boris and Arcuri is not news. Everyone knows Boris and Arcuri were an item and no-one cares other than Boris's other women. The possible corruption angle is a bit nebulous and in any case, is chicken feed amongst other allegations flying around this government.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014
    edited March 2021

I shouldn’t be surprised, it is one of the stranger symptoms of Boris Derangement Syndrome. The sufferer believes that banging on about things they consider bad news for Boris, even though it has been common knowledge for decades, will suddenly be thought of as so awful that everyone who voted for him to be Mayor of London twice, for Brexit, as Tory leader, and a PM with a massive majority, will suddenly repent. But no one cares
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    isam said:

I shouldn’t be surprised, it is one of the stranger symptoms of Boris Derangement Syndrome. The sufferer believes that banging on about things they consider bad news for Boris, even though it has been common knowledge for decades, will suddenly be thought of as so awful that everyone who voted for him to be Mayor of London twice, for Brexit, as Tory leader, and a PM with a massive majority, will suddenly repent. But no one cares
    I think the £126k of taxpayer's money (And it is more clear than recent rushed contracts as we are in an enviroment where we need to do 'whatever it takes' , we were not then ) is a definite story.
    But it's not really the angle the Mirror has run on.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635
    edited March 2021

Just wondering, is it a function of our changed society, the declining importance of the dead tree press or just Boris, that the Mirror have clearly paid big bucks for the dirt on the PMs affair and it is basically getting about as much coverage as a similar story of a footballer been caught playing away?

The story is hardly a revelation - Ms Arcuri may be offering some extra details but the basics have been known about for some time; that, and I think that sex scandals - so long as there's no implication of sexual abuse being involved - no longer attract that much opprobrium or even interest.

So, it's mainly societal. We are no longer in the world of thirty years ago with the Antonia de Sancha revelations. Besides which, the key element of hypocrisy that was present in John Major's time is also absent here. Boris Johnson's colourful past is well known, and there's been nothing like Back to Basics to use as a stick with which to beat him.
    It is an interesting case, and I'm not sure it's just a change in values. Everyone knows what Boris is like, and there is illicit sex and illegal/borderline/abuse of power sex on the other. Boris specialises in the first and emphatically not the second, and compared with the second there is something rather old fashioned about the first. It's illicit and it's sex and the ladies look charming in some lights.

But with Boris there is one thing more. He never says a word about or against those who talk about their relationships with him. The very old fashioned, and soundly based, value (for illicit sex has not just been invented) that a gentleman never tells does seem to be Boris's line. Unlike some of the ladies he knows how to shut up. They would do well to do the same.

BTW the quote in the Mirror story where Boris is saying about the bishop kicking a hole in a stained glass window has a certain ring of truth. It is a straight quote from PG Wodehouse (I think it's Mulliner but not sure). Boris will certainly know the quote. Less likely that American blonds (though Wodehouse has plenty of them in his stories) or SM journalists do.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,867
    Re the allegedly 'crap' weather this spring...

Apologies for coming over as a bit of an anorak on a site usually totally devoid of them but according to my weatherstation here in Dorset:

March 28 2020: Temperature: High: 11.1 C Low: 3.3 C Average: 6.7 C

March 28 2021: Temperature: High: 13.0 C Low: 8.8 C Average: 10.2 C
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,233
    Pulpstar said:
    So it's a given then, is it?

And at what point are the government going to consult those in hospitality who have to implement this rubbish? Like, for instance, the unvaccinated staff?
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Sigh.

The Scots know, whether they admit it or not, that leaving the UK will at best make them poorer and at worst lead to ‘economic havoc.’

Just as the Irish did in 1922.

That on its own is not going to be enough to persuade them it is a bad idea to do it.

Either make a positive case for staying together, or accept Scotland will go Indie.

Good night.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

I assume getting them to the UK will be a bit like the Berlin airlift.
    The uk has only ordered 7m Moderna (I believe) so it's barely more than a week's production for the plant. The bigger issue is that Moderna is currently supposed to be "filled" (i.e. put into vials) in Spain. However, it would be pretty easy for Moderna to shift location for fill, if the EU was to play silly buggers.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,867
    ydoethur said:

Floater said:
    Sigh.

The Scots know, whether they admit it or not, that leaving the UK will at best make them poorer and at worst lead to ‘economic havoc.’

Just as the Irish did in 1922.

That on its own is not going to be enough to persuade them it is a bad idea to do it.

Either make a positive case for staying together, or accept Scotland will go Indie.

Good night.
    Quite. In much the same way, Brexit Leave voters were not swayed by economic arguments.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    I came to this conclusion in May 2020.

This is a correct reading of what happened. It was mistakes by SAGE that indeed dictated our fate. I also agree -- and argued on pb.com at the time -- that it is wrong to punish individual scientists, but SAGE is an anachronism better suited to the 1960s. There were scientific blogs that picked out SAGE's mistakes weeks before SAGE did.

Jeremy Hunt appears to be the first politician to have deduced all this.

I never had a high opinion of Jeremy Hunt before ..... I am changing my mind.

This is evidence of real acuity (& you don't get praise for any politicians from @YBarddCwsc very often).
This discussion has been closed.