Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Scottish independence movement may have just gone all People’s Front of Judea v. Judean People’s

Comments

• Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    edited March 2021
    1. I don't think Salmond's party will do that well
    2. It might not have to do well at all if the Scottish parliament is on a knife edge
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,621
    Charles said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1375509522635128833

Not sure where the other deaths were (care homes?)

Looks like France is about 3-4 weeks from peak? It won't be as bad as ours, because they do have vaccines (if not enough), but it will be a rough few weeks for them
    The problem is that they haven't got close to vaccinating the vulnerable groups.
    Really? Who the hell have they been vaxxing then?!
    They've used the vast majority of their AZ on younger people.
    Idiotique!
    I was saying this a little while back - the way the cases was creeping up reminded me of the UK just before our latest wave.

I have a very nasty feeling that we are about to see what would have happened here without the vaccinations coming in - the hardest lockdowns barely hold the new variants.
    Trouble is, if it gets that bad, I can see them seizing all our vials, including Pfizer, in blind panic
    Who's doing the seizing though? The French would have to invade Belgium first.
    I can see it happening with armed police, forcing the Belgians to cough up. Yes

Picture it: 2500 French people are dying every day, the health system is collapsing (and maybe similar things are happening in Belgium itself, Germany, Italy, Poland)

At that point the choice is: save French lives or save British lives, we can't do both. Sending the vaccines to the UK will be morally impossible for the EU, no matter how strong the UK's "legal right" to the jabs, no matter how superior our contract.

It will cause international uproar, it will start a vaccine war, but in the face of mass death, I think the French would do it. And the Belgians might simply agree

I do hope not. Every time the French invade Belgium they burn my cousin’s castle to the ground. And we’ve just had it refurbished!
    I think we've all been in that situation in fairness.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

My ex, a year and a half younger than me (I’m 47) and her husband (the bloke she dumped me for) both just informed the world via FB that they got vaccinated. Gits.

Find a woman at least ten years younger than your ex, and bed her. Then make sure your ex knows, preferably with a photo of the new one

Drives them absolutely MAD.

The hatred many women feel for considerably younger women is quite startling
    The flaw in that plan might be my wife who is not 10 year younger. Actually I picked up my now spouse on the rebound from now jabbed ex and it is universally recognised by those in the know that I managed a significant upgrade. Nice idea though.
    Good for you! Keep my plan in reserve, just in case
    Wouldn’t it be almost illegal and certainly a bit gross in your case?
    Apropos of nothing, did you ever find out if SeanT’s new squeeze actually was your cousin?
    Fortunately it wasn’t. I wouldn’t wish that even on him!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Looks like France is about 3-4 weeks from peak? It won't be as bad as ours, because they do have vaccines (if not enough), but it will be a rough few weeks for them
    The problem is that they haven't got close to vaccinating the vulnerable groups.
    Idiotique!
    I was saying this a little while back - the way the cases was creeping up reminded me of the UK just before our latest wave.

I have a very nasty feeling that we are about to see what would have happened here without the vaccinations coming in - the hardest lockdowns barely hold the new variants.
    Trouble is, if it gets that bad, I can see them seizing all our vials, including Pfizer, in blind panic

Picture it: 2500 French people are dying every day, the health system is collapsing (and maybe similar things are happening in Belgium itself, Germany, Italy, Poland)

At that point the choice is: save French lives or save British lives, we can't do both. Sending the vaccines to the UK will be morally impossible for the EU, no matter how strong the UK's "legal right" to the jabs, no matter how superior our contract.

It will cause international uproar, it will start a vaccine war, but in the face of mass death, I think the French would do it. And the Belgians might simply agree

I do hope not. Every time the French invade Belgium they burn my cousin’s castle to the ground. And we’ve just had it refurbished!
    Either you feel very strongly about this, or the second one should have had ‘German’ substituted for ‘French’ to be even handed.
    I believe the French have burnt it down 14 times? The Germans never...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Idiotique!

There’s no need to rub our faces in your wealth, sir. Some of us have mortgages. :smile:
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382

Has it been pointed out yet that the UK has done more second doses than France ?

Comical Dave swapped his graph to "number of doses delivered" a few days ago, which means that "only about 10 countries" are above EU.

Really, really thick - planting narratives that will feed complacency.

Today he's been pretending that India are now behaving like USA.

Twat. A self-appointe fluffer for EU.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    Charles said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Idiotique!

I call peak @Charles...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,743
    Great kicking from Scotland. If only England could do this
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Scotland really messed up this year. From the little I've seen, they look like the best team in the Six Nations.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,964

Happy Birthday Bangladesh!

Bangladesh is 50 today.

God, I feel old! Need to look out my George Harrison LPs.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Leon said:

The UK is now down to number 9 on the deaths per million Worldometer Hit Parade of Doom.

We got overtook by Bosnia

Bulgaria and Italy, on present trends, might do the same, possibly Slovakia and Macedonia

Putting us well out of the top ten, unless we have our own new wave

On excess deaths, 16th....
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Scotland really messed up this year. From the little I've seen, they look like the best team in the Six Nations.

It's very even. Wales, Scotland, France are about the same level. Playing well

Ireland next: meh

England dismal

Italy, sigh
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

AnneJGP said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Idiotique!

If it gets that bad, they still have to get arms jabbed. Perhaps it would act as a persuader.

But if it gets that bad and their people want the jabs, if we're still doing all right I doubt if we'd grudge them.
    But we desperately need those Pfizer jabs, I believe, because they are the second doses for many Brits.

Without them their immunity wanes and we have to restart the whole damn vax programme

I fear that this is what the French minister is referring to when he says we won't get our second doses. We won't get them, because the French/EU will steal them
    Worst case scenario, we give them AZN....
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Idiotique!

Do bouncy castles count here?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It was their shot. I really felt they deserved it, when all the others (bar Italy, who don't count) have had good years not too long ago.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Idiotique!

Do bouncy castles count here?
    I was thinking sand castles...those Frogs can be beastly.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Idiotique!

There’s no need to rub our faces in your wealth, sir. Some of us have mortgages. :smile:
    My definition of castle may be somewhat more...modest, that the good Charles'. And for Belgium I may need to substitute for Burnham-on-Sea.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Idiotique!

My definition of castle may be somewhat more...modest, that the good Charles'. And for Belgium I may need to substitute for Burnham-on-Sea.
    Could be worse. Could be Burgon on Sea.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,938
    tlg86 said:

Yep. Lost by a point to Wales with 14 men for most of the second half.
    By 3 to Ireland in the last few minutes.
    They were super close to coming into this game for a Grand Slam.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    The screeching is going to be deafening.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    Leon said:

Gibraltar, which is perhaps the first country in the world to vaccinate all adults, had 1 new case today

Why can't we all go on holidays there?

It's a British territory, so it should have the same rules as the channel isles quite frankly.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,938
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    France lead.

Sorry Wales, they are gong to nick this.....
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Great if true, picking up the ball of the new capabilities and running with it.

Lower down: Ministers consider cancelling all summer holidays abroad, Whitehall source tells i
  • Options

France lead.

Sorry Wales, they are going to nick this.....

Four tries and a 21 point lead required, rather a long way to go yet.
  • Options
    I know this isn't particularly exciting to say but provided the weather is good holidays within the British isles can be delightful.

I'm nearly 40 and *still* the best memories I have of family holidays are from Cornwall.

It was like a paradise to me. In some ways, it still is.
  • Options

Leon said:

Gibraltar, which is perhaps the first country in the world to vaccinate all adults, had 1 new case today

It's a British territory, so it should have the same rules as the channel isles quite frankly.
    I assume that you're joking.

It's a market town with a small mountain attached. Somewhat lacking in space for about sixteen million fat Brits to flop about on beaches and get pissed.
  • Options

Fuck that. If I want to go abroad and STAY there why shouldn't I?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Idiotique!

Either you feel very strongly about this, or the second one should have had ‘German’ substituted for ‘French’ to be even handed.
    So, let's get this straight. Your cousin's castle is repeatedly besieged by a garlic eating mob with torches.

Is there anything you're not telling us here?
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Leon said:

It's a market town with a small mountain attached. Somewhat lacking in space for about sixteen million fat Brits to flop about on beaches and get pissed.
    Nah. It was a popular holiday destination last summer. We even had a holiday booked there for November, which we had to can.

Sure, not *everyone* can go there but it can cope with a few thousand guests each week.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

I know this isn't particularly exciting to say but provided the weather is good holidays within the British isles can be delightful.

I'm nearly 40 and *still* the best memories I have of family holidays are from Cornwall.

Feeling it brother xD
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Feeling it brother xD

I had a wonderful family holiday, doing a lazy road trip around Essex, Suffolk. Cambs, last year. The food was consistently excellent, the hotels ancient and lovely, the countryside often stunning - rivers, meadows, hills - and we ended in the sublime grandeur of Cambridge, one of the loveliest small cities in the world

We did have cracking weather, however. It really helps
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

Agree. Ask the 36,700 Australians still waiting to get back into Australia....a year on...9,000 in India, for example:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-27/india-covid-19-australians-stuck-abroad-flights-vaccination/100028384
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894

Luxury! We went to Clacton in a mark 2 Capri (true, it broke down on the A12)

Although we went to St Austell once as well, and got on the wrong train home - my earliest memory of panic

Last year we went here... near you?

http://upper-house.co.uk/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Feeling it brother xD

I had a wonderful family holiday, doing a lazy road trip around Essex, Suffolk. Cambs, last year. The food was consistently excellent, the hotels ancient and lovely, the countryside often stunning - rivers, meadows, hills - and we ended in the sublime grandeur of Cambridge, one of the loveliest small cities in the world

Yeah, here's the thing, I've travelled a fair bit - not as much as you, to be fair, but a good amount - and I've still not found anywhere else I'd rather live.

Sure, our weather is shite much of the time but we get a green and verdant landscape in return and, boy oh boy, was Jerusalem build'ed here: it's beautiful, sublime, safe, with gorgeous architecture, great food and delicious beer and with so much history and heritage. It's cosy. It's embracing. It's home.

Call me a little Englander but what's patriotism?

For me, THAT is patriotism.
  • Options

Leon said:

I lived there for 8 months... wouldn’t fancy it for a holiday
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

You can. One way trips are permitted.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    Hey, Casino, don't worry! Me and my squad of ultimate Wokeists will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a Parliamentary constituency with this puppy! We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic statue breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks, leaflets with dodgy bar charts...
  • Options

Leon said:

My Registrar is Gibraltean. There is no 10 day self isolation either way, so feel free.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,442

+1
  • Options

Hey, Casino, don't worry! Me and my squad of ultimate Wokeists will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a Parliamentary constituency with this puppy! We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic statue breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks, leaflets with dodgy bar charts...
    Knock it off, Hudson!
  • Options
    They don't have any choice until we know how effective the vaccines are against the SA and other variants.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822

Yeah, here's the thing, I've travelled a fair bit - not as much as you, to be fair, but a good amount - and I've still not found anywhere else I'd rather live.

Sure, our weather is shite much of the time but we get a green and verdant landscape in return and, boy oh boy, was Jerusalem build'ed here: it's beautiful, sublime, safe, with gorgeous architecture, great food and delicious beer and with so much history and heritage. It's cosy. It's embracing. It's home.

There's nothing wrong with loving your country but there has also to be a recognition other countries have beauty, architecture, food, beer, history and heritage. Not the same as ours but nonetheless it identifies them.

I have had the great good fortune to have seen many beautiful places in many countries - I've seen beautiful places both natural and man-made and eaten fantastic food. I'm also conscious there is so much more to experience and a sadness I won't get to it all.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Feeling it brother xD

I have not travelled much, but for me Sarlat and surrounding area beats anywhere else I have been.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489

I hear that Rutland has it's charms? Even not including the rutting?

And reckon than more than one PBer may turn up in Hartlepool this spring for the special festival of democracy.
  • Options

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Feeling it brother xD

Britain is beautiful, but I mean Britain. One reason among many I want Scotland to stay is that it provides us with proper wilderness, great mountains, the marvellous melancholy beauty of the Hebrides, such an incredible contrast with the softer loveliness of the south: Dorset and Suffolk, Herefordshire and Devon, Hampshire and Sussex.

Plus Edinburgh and Glasgow are both hugely impressive in different ways, a good foil to the sometimes overbearing world city of London.

Taken in the round the UK is a splendid place to live, despite its many flaws and some pig ugly towns.

I couldn't live here year in year out however. You have to get off the island. Especially in winter.

• Options
    If I were a nasty person, I would be asking our scientists to develop a Covid strain that only affected arrogant cheese eating surrender monkeys.
    Fortunately, I’m not a nasty person.
    However, if I’m denied my Pfizer second jag next month ......
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Unless Salmond's Alba party experiences a Brexit Party surge in polls , there will be no obvious justification for including him in any Debates held before 6th May.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

They don't have any choice until we know how effective the vaccines are against the SA and other variants.
    I think the main problem is with bulk importation of the variants. We already know that the vaccines are a bit less effective against the currently known variants, but they work nonetheless. There are also concerns about a new variant emerging which can escape the vaccines altogether but that seems much less likely.

Anyway, different rumours going round about holidays. Some suggest Hancock, Patel and other sceptical ministers are pressing to have them called off completely. Others to the effect that holidays abroad may still be possible, but only to destinations that have the virus crushed as thoroughly as we do - great if you're looking forward to visiting any of the British overseas territories, Israel, and perhaps one or two others (Dubai? The Seychelles?) But unlikely to help much with the European mass market destinations any time soon.
  • Options
    isam said:

Luxury! We went to Clacton in a mark 2 Capri (true, it broke down on the A12)

Although we went to St Austell once as well, and got on the wrong train home - my earliest memory of panic

Last year we went here... near you?

http://upper-house.co.uk/
    In my youth I had a Mk2 Capri. Not much of a passion wagon when you’re waiting for your Dad to tow you home.
  • Options
    stodge said:

There's nothing wrong with loving your country but there has also to be a recognition other countries have beauty, architecture, food, beer, history and heritage. Not the same as ours but nonetheless it identifies them.

I have had the great good fortune to have seen many beautiful places in many countries - I've seen beautiful places both natural and man-made and eaten fantastic food. I'm also conscious there is so much more to experience and a sadness I won't get to it all.
    I've seen most of them, to be honest. And yes almost every country offers something, Except Denmark
  • Options

Leon said:

Agree. Ask the 36,700 Australians still waiting to get back into Australia....a year on...9,000 in India, for example:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-27/india-covid-19-australians-stuck-abroad-flights-vaccination/100028384
    Astonishing statisics.
  • Options

Leon said:

We definitely got the wrong end of the Treaty of Amiens - we kept Gibraltar, Spain got Menorca.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Feeling it brother xD

Britain is beautiful, but I mean Britain. One reason among many I want Scotland to stay is that it provides us with proper wilderness, great mountains, the marvellous melancholy beauty of the Hebrides, such an incredible contrast with the softer loveliness of the south: Dorset and Suffolk, Herefordshire and Devon, Hampshire and Sussex.

Plus Edinburgh and Glasgow are both hugely impressive in different ways, a good foil to the sometimes overbearing world city of London.

Taken in the round the UK is a splendid place to live, despite its many flaws and some pig ugly towns.

I couldn't live here year in year out however. You have to get off the island. Especially in winter.

I agree with much of that. And, yes, many of our crap towns are shite. I'm not sure how much of that is their fault - they've often had some awful planning decisions and economic calamities forced on them since the 60s - but it's true.

I can cope with November and December. It's the run up to Christmas, there are a lot of set pieces like Guy Fawkes, Rememberance Day and Advent and it's kind of exciting. It's January and February that are absolute toilet.

Why people want to make it worse with going "dry" I don't know. I try and hunker down and then ramp up once the Six Nations starts, with the ales.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Leon said:

It's also tiny and the high street reminded me of Catford Shopping centre on a sunny day...not in a good way!
  • Options

Great if true, picking up the ball of the new capabilities and running with it.

Lower down: Ministers consider cancelling all summer holidays abroad, Whitehall source tells i
    They should 100% consider it.

And reject it, obviously (focus on the “red list”).

But they wouldn’t be doing their jobs if they didn’t consider it
  • Options
    Sumptuous try
  • Options
    Or sturdy yeoman defending ancient British liberties?

All a matter of perspective.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Feeling it brother xD

I love Dorset. If there only was a decent road from Ayrshire for a non stressful drive there.
  • Options

Yes, we did the family holiday in Cornwall in the 60s and 70s. Took us the thick end of nine hours to get there on the single carriageway roads.

Hart's Ice Cream Parlour - The Harbour, St Ives. For a 8-year old with a passion for ice cream, that was heaven.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,044
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Idiotique!

To get to 2,500 French deaths each day would take at least two months even under worst case scenarios.

Its not going to happen.

And in two months we're going to be awash with vaccines.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Pro_Rata said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Floater said:

Idiotique!

So, let's get this straight. Your cousin's castle is repeatedly besieged by a garlic eating mob with torches.

Is there anything you're not telling us here?
    You win the prize for the best response.

But we’re lizards, not parasites
  • Options
    isam said:

I can’t see how people can back the Tories at EVS in Hartlepool. Labour have always held the seat, retained it by 8% less than 18 months ago, and that was with Jez the turnoff in charge rather than Super Keir. There’s also no chance of Brexit not happening by voting Labour now, even if they don’t support it.

Yes, there maybe local factors that put off backing what seems enormous value Lab EVS, I’m not convinced, but I don’t get how people can think it’s a better than 50% chance the Tories will take it

Labour have not always held the seat. It was Tory before 1945 and fell to them again in 1959. Labour majorities earlier in the 1950s - and when gained in 1964 - were pretty small.
  • Options

Leon said:

We definitely got the wrong end of the Treaty of Amiens - we kept Gibraltar, Spain got Menorca.
    Gibraltar is strategic days. Still has value now and through that and the Cyprus bases we can basically lock down oversight of the Med.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Feeling it brother xD

I love Dorset. If there only was a decent road from Ayrshire for a non stressful drive there.
    Dorset is ridiculously, hauntingly beautiful in places, like Tolkien's Shire
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

tlg86 said:

Omnium said:

A 15% swing seems implausible to me.
    That's Northern seats not % of Hartlepool vote. It's an MRP model.
    How does a 15% swing fit with virtually every national opinion poll showing a swing of about 3 or 4%?
    I don't think it is a swing at all - but refers to number of seats changing hands.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Yes, we did the family holiday in Cornwall in the 60s and 70s. Took us the thick end of nine hours to get there on the single carriageway roads.

Hart's Ice Cream Parlour - The Harbour, St Ives. For a 8-year old with a passion for ice cream, that was heaven.
    It's MUCH easier to get there these days, particularly since they've dualled the A30s.

In the early 80s my Dad got us all up at 3am to go down there in August, and it still took 5 hours. But we got there by 8-8.30am and avoided the 20-mile tailbacks.

Such great great memories. I love Cornwall. I miss Dobwalls.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Last time I checked "sturdy yeoman" didn't try and murder the police or advocate violent revolution.

I may be mistaken though.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

isam said:

I can’t see how people can back the Tories at EVS in Hartlepool. Labour have always held the seat, retained it by 8% less than 18 months ago, and that was with Jez the turnoff in charge rather than Super Keir. There’s also no chance of Brexit not happening by voting Labour now, even if they don’t support it.

Yes, there maybe local factors that put off backing what seems enormous value Lab EVS, I’m not convinced, but I don’t get how people can think it’s a better than 50% chance the Tories will take it

Labour have not always held the seat. It was Tory before 1945 and fell to them again in 1959. Labour majorities earlier in the 1950s - and when gained in 1964 - were pretty small.
    I think it was a seat set up in 1974, and has always been Labour. But yes the old seat was Tory at times so you are kind of right
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Andy_JS said:

tlg86 said:

Omnium said:

A 15% swing seems implausible to me.
    That's Northern seats not % of Hartlepool vote. It's an MRP model.
    How does a 15% swing fit with virtually every national opinion poll showing a swing of about 3 or 4%?
    I don't think it is a swing at all - but refers to number of seats changing hands.
    That seems to imply Labour winning Sale West and Alty - Graham Brady seat if my geography is correct.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    edited March 2021

Leon said:

24 Sep 1708 Minorca (Menorca) Island occupied by British forces, in
    the name of (Bourbon) King Carlos (III).
    Aug 1712 British take over administration.
    13 Jul 1713 Formally ceded to U.K. by the Treaty of Utrecht.
    1714 British colony.
    28 May 1756 - 10 Feb 1763 French occupation.
    5 Feb 1782 Spanish occupation.
    20 Jan 1783 Restored to Spain by the Treaty of Paris.
    15 Nov 1798 - 27 Mar 1802 British occupation.
    27 Mar 1802 Restored to Spain by the Peace of Amiens.

https://www.worldstatesmen.org/Spain.html#Minorca
  • Options
    Leon said:

stodge said:

I've seen most of them, to be honest. And yes almost every country offers something, Except Denmark
    Copenhagen?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Last time I checked "sturdy yeoman" didn't try and murder the police or advocate violent revolution.

I may be mistaken though.
    Oh, I think they did...
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Feeling it brother xD

I agree with much of that. And, yes, many of our crap towns are shite. I'm not sure how much of that is their fault - they've often had some awful planning decisions and economic calamities forced on them since the 60s - but it's true.

I can cope with November and December. It's the run up to Christmas, there are a lot of set pieces like Guy Fawkes, Rememberance Day and Advent and it's kind of exciting. It's January and February that are absolute toilet.

Why people want to make it worse with going "dry" I don't know. I try and hunker down and then ramp up once the Six Nations starts, with the ales.
    My least favourite month is August. Until a few years ago I hated it. It always felt tired and hot and grubby somehow, like an end of season holiday resort.

I think it was due to all the concrete where I was living, because once I moved to Devon my antipathy to August faded, and now it's just like any other month, emotionally.
  • Options
    felix said:

Leon said:

It's also tiny and the high street reminded me of Catford Shopping centre on a sunny day...not in a good way!
    I really like it. It's not everyone's taste but it's like a little British Monaco with a couple of nice beaches and lots of home comforts. Also, it has pubs.

I'm also a fan of the Living Daylights and love the Bond links. The top of the rock is fantastic, as is the military history.

Bermuda is next on my list but, expensive. And maybe might feel too American - which will annoy me.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976

felix said:

Leon said:

I really like it. It's not everyone's taste but it's like a little British Monaco with a couple of nice beaches and lots of home comforts. Also, it has pubs.

I'm also a fan of the Living Daylights and love the Bond links. The top of the rock is fantastic, as is the military history.

Bermuda is next on my list but, expensive. And maybe might feel too American - which will annoy me.
    I’ve a friend who’s a teacher in Bermuda. I am constantly reminded on Facebook how glorious his life is over there.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Feeling it brother xD

I go dry in January to prove to myself I can. And to loose a bit of the weight I have inevitably put on in December.

I quite enjoy dry January in a perverse way.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Feeling it brother xD

I mean, where else do you get *anything* like that on earth?

Screw heaven, not real. Real version of heaven? One you can touch and feel and experience in all its joy?

Dorset. Gorgeous. It's like heroin for the soul.
  • Options

Leon said:

Gibraltar is strategic days. Still has value now and through that and the Cyprus bases we can basically lock down oversight of the Med.
    Some suggestions that the Government might have another go at the failed experiment with Malta, and attempt to formally integrate Gibraltar into the UK. Would give it representation in Parliament, although it would retain a very high degree of autonomy.

Such a novel arrangement might, perhaps, be called DevoMax, and getting it to work in a way acceptable to all concerned could provide a model to use in the future...
  • Options
    stodge said:

It's a weird left-wing phenomenon that loving your own country as uniquely sublime somehow means you must hate or disrespect all others..
  • Options
    Does anyone know the connection between the film 'Yangtze Incident: The Story of HMS Amethyst' starring Richard Todd and Hartlepool constituency ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIFF1d3yxNU
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

The problem is that ministers are morons.

The correct answer is "go anywhere you like, two weeks mandatory hotel quarantine for anyone coming back into the country from anywhere, regardless of reasons (possibly cut short by a couple of negative PCR tests) ".

That's fair and reasonable, and would let a reasonable chunk of people (especially those who could work from their quarantine hotels) have holidays at minimal risk. It also means its possible for those who really want to travel (eg to see family) to do so, it's just going to be a bit inconvenient.

Instead of which ministers are messing around with various levels of complex restrictions depending on the purpose of your travel etc. The virus doesn't care about the purpose of your travel for crying out loud.

Beyond this, the media circus should be told to shut up and do one on this issue - it's much more important that we get complete domestic normally (inc. things like no masks, being allowed to sing in choirs/churches) than that it's easy to spend a week getting hammered at a resort in Spain.

The only exception to this could possibly be countries with similar levels of vaccination and cases to us - but looking at the current global situation, that's not looking promising for the next year or so.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Feeling it brother xD

I mean, where else do you get *anything* like that on earth?

Screw heaven, not real. Real version of heaven? One you can touch and feel and experience in all its joy?

Dorset. Gorgeous. It's like heroin for the soul.
    Stop it - you're making me feel like I don't deserve to live here. :smile:
  • Options

Does anyone know the connection between the film 'Yangtze Incident: The Story of HMS Amethyst' starring Richard Todd and Hartlepool constituency ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIFF1d3yxNU

The hero became the Tory MP elected in 1959 for a single term.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Is she related to Bob Mortimer ?
  • Options

Leon said:

Some suggestions that the Government might have another go at the failed experiment with Malta, and attempt to formally integrate Gibraltar into the UK. Would give it representation in Parliament, although it would retain a very high degree of autonomy.

Such a novel arrangement might, perhaps, be called DevoMax, and getting it to work in a way acceptable to all concerned could provide a model to use in the future...
    I'd have throught the Gibraltarians are pretty content with their current arrangements, with the degree of separation part of the point?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

I'd have throught the Gibraltarians are pretty content with their current arrangements, with the degree of separation part of the point?
    Quite probably yes. Just read it somewhere, remembered it, thought would share.
  • Options

Leon said:

Wouldn't mind having another crack at Malta, to be honest.
  • Options

It's a weird left-wing phenomenon that loving your own country as uniquely sublime somehow means you must hate or disrespect all others..

The Right seem uniquely sensitive about this and flags as well if I'm being honest.

The notion of a Government Minister, who really should be dealing with other more serious issues such as housing, proclaiming by diktat what flags can fly and when they have to fly from certain buildings is absurd.

The trouble is the Right, like the Left, love telling people what to do on the basis they know best.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Further to the discussion of Sridhar earlier on PB:

"Given that Scotland's chief medical officer Gregor Smith was forced to warn in January that 'misinformation' over Covid vaccines is one 'of the biggest dangers' Scotland faces, Steerpike hopes professor Sridhar adopts a more collaborative approach in the future..."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/scottish-covid-adviser-s-vaccine-confusion
  • Options
    Is the MRP that shows Labour regaining Red Wall seats consistent with polling numbers in recent polls? What sort of gap does it imply?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,305
    edited March 2021

Is she related to Bob Mortimer ?
    She has a very pleasant face, though I'm not sure why they chose that photo - she looks startled, like someone unexpectedly snapped a picture of her in Pizza Express when she was trying to decide whether to order the doughballs.
This discussion has been closed.