Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Scottish independence movement may have just gone all People’s Front of Judea v. Judean People’s

Comments

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited March 2021

https://twitter.com/bnhw_/status/1375461477834973184

That's a pretty wild set of potential effects, and I'd have thought 6% isn't too high a bar.

Yes. Salmond’s plan should work.

There’s a danger, though.

He’s delicately trying to only blow the bloody doors off, if you see what I mean....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    kle4 said:

I'd dearly like to believe this is the moment it starts to crash down around the Sindy cause, but I've been burnt before.

Greens mostly likely affected?

Should be the opposite as it gives YES supporters 2 seats chance rather than current 1 as all list votes for SNP are wasted given they win nearly all constituency seats. So it should be a massive positive for anyone wanting independence.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,576
    malcolmg said:

That is my patron membership of ALBA confirmed.

Not voting for the Greens, then, are we?
  • Options

Very interesting thread why this announcement is excellent news for the independence movement.

https://twitter.com/George_Simkin/status/1375453412372979713

Isn't that just a case in point that predictions of extremely efficient tactical voting are always overdone?
    Yes, what we really need is some polling PDQ, not just for Holyrood but for Westminster as well.

Is this another Change UK (very little impact) or the SDP (huge polling changes)?
  • Options

How many Sturgeonistas are actually going to vote Alba? Any of their women voters?

Most I would suspect given their hate laws and GRA bills , plenty women most upset at those.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,694

I think Salmond should have called his party the Caledonian Union of Nationalists Trusts Salmond party.

Back in 2010, wasn't the proposed CON/UUP alliance proposed as 'Conservative and Unionists - New Team' before someone pointed out that 'Conservatie and Unionists - New FORCE' just sounded..... errr.... better.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

That's a pretty wild set of potential effects, and I'd have thought 6% isn't too high a bar.

https://twitter.com/bnhw_/status/1375462924144275458
    Love it! Labour's devolution mess bites again. 😂
  • Options

Any Cricket fan put the Cricket on if you can. This is ridiculously good batting from Stokes.

England almost 100 runs ahead of India at this stage. 😲🏏

It reminds me of the partnership Bairstow and Stokes had against South Africa in Cape Town 2015.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Isn’t it easier for unionist to pitch the narrative that two leaders of the independence movement are at each other throats - and expected to seamlessly deliver Indy in the process post May?

The maths may stack up in terms of the super Indy majority narrative, but surely this puts focus on infighting now and beyond.
  • Options

How can Alba take a list seat off the Lib Dems in Highlands? We haven't got one!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Tres said:

I'd have just loved to have secretly bugged Nicola Sturgeon's room to hear all the swear words over the last 30 minutes.

Why would she swear? All those pro-Union top up seats are now in danger.
    My question is, why don't they all vote Green anyway? If they're voting SNP-SNP they really don't understand the system very well. So if anything, this will may just split the Green list vote, which would only reduce the number of pro-independence MSPs.
    The Greens and he SNP are strange bedfellows. The SNP spent decades building their case for independence on "Scottish" oil. Are the Scottish Greens in favour of closing the oil fields down in a post independence utopia?
    Best thing about this is it could mean the nasty Greens being put in the dustbin where they belong
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

That makes no sense - surely the Greens aren't defending anything in the North-East? They'd also, presumably, be the most likely victims in all five of the regions where they are? How much of a core vote - beyond independence backers who tactical vote for them on the lists - do the Greens actually have in Scotland?
  • Options
    India get 336 runs.

In reply England need 56 more runs, with 15 overs and 9 wickets remaining.

Wow.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,950
    edited March 2021

Very interesting thread why this announcement is excellent news for the independence movement.

Isn't that just a case in point that predictions of extremely efficient tactical voting are always overdone?
    Yes, what we really need is some polling PDQ, not just for Holyrood but for Westminster as well.

Is this another Change UK (very little impact) or the SDP (huge polling changes)?
    Aye, most definitely.

If we do end up with an indy super majority based on a Labour designed voting system, I'm definitely preparing my George Robertson 'kill nationalism stone dead' quote for another good outing.
  • Options

I'm a bit surprised Labour didn't get more from the local Independent chap not being present. I can't believe all the LD votes came from him - more likely the Tories lost some votes to the LD.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

My snap reaction to this is it was surely expected and it boosts the Sindy cause. The new party standing only for the PR section means the election will probably return more Indy supporting MSPs than would otherwise be the case. So a pro-Indy majority seems nailed on.

Then there's the view held by some that Sturgeon is not serious about Indy and just likes being 1st Minister. Ok, so if that's true, having Salmond back with some bite will force her to really focus on it. And if it's not true, which I kind of think it isn't, she'll be going for it anyway and having Salmond on board ought to add not detract from the effort.

The one caveat to this is if Salmond is acting out of pure desire to "get" Sturgeon. If he is, and he does well and becomes influential, we could see these 2 formidable politicians consumed in a battle with each other whilst Sindy sits around and whistles.

Not sure he'd appreciate the comparison, but Salmond seems to be modelling himself on Farage here, at least strategically: forcing the main party to keep to his independence timetable but without doing the kind of electoral damage that would make their supporters see him as a mere spoiler.
  • Options
    Ok here comes the collapse.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776

For a second there I thought there had been another split, and some other odious little nationalist had set up a party called PDQ
  • Options
    What a shame for Stokes, 99.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,303

Any Cricket fan put the Cricket on if you can. This is ridiculously good batting from Stokes.

You just jinxed it.
    Now we'll be all out for 301.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776

kinabalu said:

My snap reaction to this is it was surely expected and it boosts the Sindy cause. The new party standing only for the PR section means the election will probably return more Indy supporting MSPs than would otherwise be the case. So a pro-Indy majority seems nailed on.

Then there's the view held by some that Sturgeon is not serious about Indy and just likes being 1st Minister. Ok, so if that's true, having Salmond back with some bite will force her to really focus on it. And if it's not true, which I kind of think it isn't, she'll be going for it anyway and having Salmond on board ought to add not detract from the effort.

The one caveat to this is if Salmond is acting out of pure desire to "get" Sturgeon. If he is, and he does well and becomes influential, we could see these 2 formidable politicians consumed in a battle with each other whilst Sindy sits around and whistles.

Not sure he'd appreciate the comparison, but Salmond seems to be modelling himself on Farage here, at least strategically: forcing the main party to keep to his independence timetable but without doing the kind of electoral damage that would make their supporters see him as a mere spoiler.
    There are huge similarities between the two. Cheeks of the same egotistical arse
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,420
    Stokes. I don't believe it.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Not sure voters like parties trying to game the voting systems.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    edited March 2021

Almost exclusively from the Unionist parties.

And again why Galloway's rabble are hurting the Unionist cause too, because they haven't the slighest chance of getting 6%
    Not at all, plenty of Greens MSPs on the list could lose their seats thanks to Alba, as could SNP lists MSPs in the Borders.

If Alba do not gain 5%+ of the vote they will also not win any list seats themselves, thus just splitting the Nationalist list vote without getting any MSPs
  • Options
    edited March 2021

I'm listening on TalkSport 2. Anyone can listen if you register.
  • Options

Aye, most definitely.

If we do end up with an indy super majority based on a Labour designed voting system, I'm definitely preparing my George Robertson 'kill nationalism stone dead' quote for another good outing.
    The SNP would clearly win a comfortable majority under FPTP on the constituency vote regardless of today's news, the list vote now split between the SNP, Greens and Alba at least gives an outside chance of a Unionist majority now
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

And again why Galloway's rabble are hurting the Unionist cause too, because they haven't the slighest chance of getting 6%
    Not at all, plenty of Greens MSPs on the list could lose their seats thanks to Alba, as could SNP lists MSPs in the Borders.

If Alba do not gain 5%+ of the vote they will also not win any list seats themselves, thus just splitting the Nationalist list vote without getting any MSPs
    Says the person who thinks Galloway's party is going to win List seats. 🙄

Also ignoring the fact the SNP don't win many List seats. What percentage vote do you think Alliance for Unity will get? What percentage Alba?
  • Options

https://twitter.com/bnhw_/status/1375462924144275458
    Love it! Labour's devolution mess bites again. 😂
    Labour are the principal architects of all this, and it is going to wreck them. There is, perhaps, some justice in the world after all.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

You just jinxed it.
    Now we'll be all out for 301.
    Time to exile Philip Thompson to ConHome.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Aye, most definitely.

The SNP would clearly win a comfortable majority under FPTP on the constituency vote regardless of today's news, the list vote now split between the SNP, Greens and Alba at least gives an outside chance of a Unionist majority now
    But you keep telling us that the SNP won't win a majorioty because of tactical voting by Labour for their Tory masters, or something.
  • Options

Ok here comes the collapse.

What did you say !!!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Also ignoring the fact the SNP don't win many List seats. What percentage vote do you think Alliance for Unity will get? What percentage Alba?
    Galloway at least could win a list seat where he is standing, otherwise AfU is far less likely to split the Unionist vote elsewhere than Salmond's new Alba party could split the SNP and Green list vote across Scotland, particularly costing the Greens list seats and also the SNP their list MSPs in the Borders.

If Alba fails to get much more than 5% all they will do is split the Nationalist vote and elect more Unionist MSPs with barely any list MSPs elected themselves bar probably Salmond and 1 or 2 others
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    It'll probably go the same way as Change UK
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,057
    edited March 2021
    Just for fun, I've gone through the list results from 2016 and calculated what would happen if Alba took all the SNP list votes, but everything else stayed the same. Alba pick up 34 list seats, compared to the 4 the SNP won. The Greens lose all their seats bar one in Lothian. So that's +25 MSPs for Independence.

SNP 59
    ALBA 34
    GREEN 1
    Total MSPs for second referendum 94

Unionists 35 (I didn't bother to tally the breakdown. Roughly speaking Labour/Tories lose half their list seats)

It gives an idea of what a nightmare this could be for the Unionist parties (and the Greens) if Alba gain some momentum.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    DeClare said:

It'll probably go the same way as Change UK

Easier to get at least something from the Holyrood voting system though, to sustain a new entity.
  • Options
    Buttler gone

Oh dear
  • Options
    Called it!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

Incredible batting right now. 🏏

Three sixes on the bounce by Stokes.

I'm blaming you, Philip.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Galloway at least could win a list seat where he is standing, otherwise AfU is far less likely to split the Unionist vote elsewhere than Salmond's new Alba party could split the SNP and Green list vote across Scotland, particularly costing the Greens list seats and also the SNP their list MSPs in the Borders.

If Alba fails to get much more than 5% all they will do is split the Nationalist vote and elect more Unionist MSPs with barely any list MSPs elected themselves bar probably Salmond and 1 or 2 others
    So what you're saying is in a goldilocks situation he does just enough damage to help. But too little or too much support and unionists are screwed?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,078

kinabalu said:

Yes, I suppose you might say that. Next step, bright cords and hacking jacket, and chasing migrants around at sea.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,917
    oops
  • Options
    Ten minutes ago India were 120/1 with Betfair Exchange. Now it's 20/1.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137
    alex_ said:

Not sure voters like parties trying to game the voting systems.

Is this another example of the cold weather banana republic? :smiley:

The ruling junta splits in order to engineer and even higher vote in the forthcoming election?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299
    I would imagine 'Alba' have various defections in store for the coming weeks - Cherry joining would surprise nobody.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    MaxPB said:

Incredible batting right now. 🏏

Three sixes on the bounce by Stokes.

I'm blaming you, Philip.
    We've still got this in the bag.

*runs away*
  • Options

kinabalu said:

There are huge similarities between the two. Cheeks of the same egotistical arse
    I made the same point in the previous thread. Farage did well exploiting PR voting systems, was disliked by most voters but could mobilise a large and loyal following, he forced a larger, more centrist rival party to shift in his direction, and finally fulfilled his primary political objective (destroying the leader of said rival party into the bargain.)

Salmond may also be drawing some inspiration from another successful right wing ideologue. According to The Scotsman...

Registered online for the first time on November 23 last year, [the Alba Party] was registered with the Electoral Commission in January by retired TV producer Laurie Flynn.

The proposed descriptions submitted to the Electoral Commission include “Mandate for Independence”, “Get Independence Done” and “Make Independence Happen”.

:smiley:
  • Options

Tres said:

I'd have just loved to have secretly bugged Nicola Sturgeon's room to hear all the swear words over the last 30 minutes.

Maybe all parties need to split into Constituency and List versions?

Conservatives and Unionists, Liberals and Democrats, etc etc.

Or does it not quite work like that?
    It only really benefits the party that cleans up in the constituency section. Today that's the SNP. When the system was chosen it was Labour.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,676
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Aren't the votes for the list seats transferable, Mr HY? I thought they were. In which case, not so much damage done.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Tres said:

It only really benefits the party that cleans up in the constituency section. Today that's the SNP. When the system was chosen it was Labour.
    Er, no, it doesn't - quite the reverse. It penalises them massively.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,963
    That’s my vote sorted. SNP for constituency. Personal vote for Kenny Gibson. Alba on list. Voted Chris McEleny for list selection, so delighted to still be able to vote for him, instead of the woke pushed to the top of the list after receiving about 4% of the votes.

Message for HYFUD. Last time I voted SNP 1 and 2. List vote was wasted. This time I hope to have helped select an additional independence MSP, rather than letting a unionist in.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,078
    So, Labour well and truly in play at a time of almost zero visibility for them, and of peak vaccine triumph for a Tory government who's main policy of Brexit is looking vindicated to all but the ever diminishing ranks of the cognescenti.

Starmer will be feeling like the cat with the cream.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Just for fun, I've gone through the list results from 2016 and calculated what would happen if Alba took all the SNP list votes, but everything else stayed the same. Alba pick up 34 list seats, compared to the 4 the SNP won. The Greens lose all their seats bar one in Lothian. So that's +25 MSPs for Independence.

SNP 59
    ALBA 34
    GREEN 1
    Total MSPs for second referendum 94

Unionists 35 (I didn't bother to tally the breakdown. Roughly speaking Labour/Tories lose half their list seats)

It gives an idea of what a nightmare this could be for the Unionist parties (and the Greens) if Alba gain some momentum.

If Alba got most of the SNP list votes they would but they won't, most SNP voters dislike Salmond now.

However if Alba get say only 4-5% which is more likely they still take SNP borders list seats and Green list seats and potentially cost the Nationalists their majority.

Of course even in your headline figure 59 is not a majority for the SNP, so Boris could just play Sturgeon and Salmond off against each other over what to do next after he refuses a legal indyref2, which he will do anyway.

Unionist parties are still likely to win a majority of votes on both the constituency and list votes which Boris will use when he refuses indyref2
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914

That’s my vote sorted. SNP for constituency. Personal vote for Kenny Gibson. Alba on list. Voted Chris McEleny for list selection, so delighted to still be able to vote for him, instead of the woke pushed to the top of the list after receiving about 4% of the votes.

Message for HYFUD. Last time I voted SNP 1 and 2. List vote was wasted. This time I hope to have helped select an additional independence MSP, rather than letting a unionist in.

This is bad news for the Scottish Greens, surely?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Andy_JS said:

Ten minutes ago India were 120/1 with Betfair Exchange. Now it's 20/1.

How have they lost a hundred runs in ten minutes?
  • Options

OK, this has taken me a while....

Salmond is an Alba-tross around Sturgeon's neck.

Thank you.

Pro-independence parties heading for an Alba-nian majority in May...

(Don't blame me, he started it.)
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,198
    edited March 2021
    This supermajority ploy has been on the cards for some time, but now its actually happening I think it wont actually work. The Separatists have ended up being too clever by a half, because the media narrative is not "this is the last step to get them over the line", but rather the "eruption of civil war in the Nationalist camp" (which actually isn´t, but given the obvious personal animosity between Salmond and Sturgeon is more believable than the arcane stuff about AMS).

So, we have until May 6th, but I think the SNP is going to have to do a hell of a lot of explanation in that time, and this will weaken their campaign message. The big question now is will Labour and the Lib Dems recover enough to make it a three way fight? From what I´m hearing, that´s a definite maybe.
  • Options

I'm just wondering how far this simply recognises that woke/not so woke/positively antiwoke is now an active spectrum. If you are positively antiwoke there's no hope for you - it's got to be Tory (or Mr Galloway's lot). But the cross splits now match the other parties when overlaid on the orthogonal domension of yes/no to indy: eg if you are not so woke you can still now vote for indy with the new party. And so on.

It may well be that the new party is actually a threat to the Labour vote as well - especially if Labour allies formally with the Tories in some way.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2021
    kinabalu said:

So, Labour well and truly in play at a time of almost zero visibility for them, and of peak vaccine triumph for a Tory government who's main policy of Brexit is looking vindicated to all but the ever diminishing ranks of the cognescenti.

Well the big difference is always the Labour score....there used to be the golden rule, take the lowest Labour score among a range of polls.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,225

So... this whole bust-up between Sturgeon and Salmond was manufactured so that nationalists could create a decoy list without it looking like they are trying to game the system...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It seems to me that you shouldn't be allowed to only stand for list seats.

Yes. I think that AMS is a bit silly with two separate votes. It would in some ways be better if the constituency votes were added up across the region to be used for the calculation of the top-up seats.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,707
    I used to have an Alba hifi.

It was shite.
  • Options
    Twenty needed off final 10 overs. Nail biting stuff.
  • Options
    I suspect that Sturgeon knew this was coming. She has already been talking about a coalition with the Greens even if she wins an overall majority.

Alba and the Greens will be two very different parties. I suspect Alba will be centre right, and will appeal to the rural ex SNP voters that moved to the tories over Brexit, and those that stopped voting SNP when it moved to the left under Sturgeon. Could be bad news for the Tories, especially in the North East and Highlands.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,572
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

That is my patron membership of ALBA confirmed.

Not voting for the Greens, then, are we?
    He prefers root vegetables to brassicas.
  • Options
    I wonder how many Unionist parties will get fewer MSPs than Alba?

Lib Dems nailed on?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I hope so.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2021
    France’s Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has warned that countries should not be "playing with blackmail" in the bid to get their populations vaccinated.

Le Drian also told French broadcaster FranceInfo that the UK had a problem with delivering second doses of vaccine. His comments come after an EU summit on Thursday to discuss the shortage of vaccines in Europe.

He was quizzed by the presenter as to whether Europe had been "scammed" by sending vaccines to the UK and not receiving any in return. He said that, while the UK took pride in having vaccinated a lot of people with their first jabs, they had a problem delivering the second.

-----

This is the clear dangerous and false narrative being pushed....its as dangerous as AZN is crap stuff. Its the sort of propaganda the GRU used on social media to cause such problems in the US.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    I suppose it does make things a lot more interesting for the next GE in Scotland as well. Suspect Dougie Ross for instance could be vulnerable if Angus Robertson returns.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Tres said:

In the sense of being able to benefit from setting up a list-only mini-me party it's only a party that wins most of the constituency seats that can benefit from that ploy, because the system otherwise penalizes that party on the list.

There's no point Labour having a list-only party in Glasgow these days when they don't win any of the Glasgow constituency seats. No benefit from the split. See?
  • Options
    I wonder what BBC Scotland will do about their Gaelic TV channel - BBC Alba?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    rcs1000 said:

And unionists, having a constituency specialist and a list specialist that are two different parties would allow for independence voters to win a huge majority in Holyrood with well under 50% of the vote.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Lib Dems nailed on?

No, the LDs will probably get about 8 MSPs and could also win the Caithness, Sutherland and Ross constituency MSP seat from the SNP which has a LD MP already
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Well the big difference is always the Labour score....there used to be the golden rule, take the lowest Labour score among a range of polls.
    Besides which, Labour is now structurally disadvantaged when contesting general elections. In 2005 Tony Blair outpolled Michael Howard by 2.8% and won a comfortable Parliamentary majority. By 2017 Theresa May only beat Jeremy Corbyn by 2.4% and still finished more than 50 seats ahead of Labour. The implosion of the Liberal Democrats, then of the Scottish Labour Party and finally of the Red Wall (with what's left of Labour's support now largely stacked up in the big cities or too thinly spread elsewhere to get out of second place,) has really crippled them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Lib Dems nailed on?

No, the LDs will probably get about 8 MSPs and could also win the Caithness, Sutherland and Ross constituency MSP which has a LD MP already
    And with that prediction I am off our delivering LD leaflets...
  • Options

I wonder what BBC Scotland will do about their Gaelic TV channel - BBC Alba?

Sue for breach of copyright?
  • Options
    Tres said:

I suppose it does make things a lot more interesting for the next GE in Scotland as well. Suspect Dougie Ross for instance could be vulnerable if Angus Robertson returns.

Angus Robertson more than likely to become MSP for Edinburgh central so would have to stand down to re-enter Westminster. Not that that sort of thing bothers Ross Murray, er Murray Douglas, och, whatever his name is.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,765
    HYUFD said:

Fpt

ping said:

I’ve taken the 5/1 on snp less than 60 seats.

I expect to lose it, but with war declared in Judea, it seems like a value bet...

Dunno if that's good value or not but the most recent projections have the SNP gaining a majority on constituency seats alone. Assuming Salmond's party isn't a giant SNP wrecking operation, he'll be explicitly recommending indy voters should vote SNP for the constituency, so...

Just a thought.

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1375069419626446850?s=20

Not on the poll earlier in the month though and that is more likely with Unionist tactical voting

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1374413276122025987?s=20
    Do try to keep up - there is a later Survation poll and one from BMG as well
  • Options
    Tres said:

Except surely he'll be off to Holyrood - followed by yet another Westminster by-election later this year?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,490
    All new polling continues to be consistent with (and only consistent with) the real figure being about Con 42, Lab 36
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    HYUFD said:

Lib Dems nailed on?

No, the LDs will probably get about 8 MSPs and could also win the Caithness, Sutherland and Ross constituency MSP seat from the SNP which has a LD MP already
    Want a bet? What odds will you give to Alba getting more seats than the Lib Dems?

EDIT: Seats not votes.
  • Options

One thing I was wondering is if Salmond damages the SNP to the extent it pushes their votes to stay at home/vote elsewhere or just vote in the list for Alba, which would be bad for the SNP/Scottish independence movement.

Any televised featuring Salmond and Sturgeon has the potential to get very very messy.

Surely this idea of a super majority means people who vote SNP will need to vote Alba on the list.

And they already hate Salmond.
    Other independence parties are available, with more sympathetic martyrs to support.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,318
    Salmond is standing for a constituency seat in the NE, I gather, as an exception to the list-only rule.

Even if it does produce a wodge of pro-Indy Alba MSPs, I can't see them being willing to support Sturgeon in office, so it might help Sindy but not the SNP.

Labour and the Tories ought to be able to play this as "Don't vote for this shambles", but I'm not sure their dynamics are sufficient.
  • Options
    Never in doubt! 😅
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,225

tlg86 said:

It seems to me that you shouldn't be allowed to only stand for list seats.

Yes. I think that AMS is a bit silly with two separate votes. It would in some ways be better if the constituency votes were added up across the region to be used for the calculation of the top-up seats.
    That was more or less the original German system used in 1949, with a single vote. It has some disadvantages in terms of voter choice - and what happens to the votes of unsuccessful independent candidates. It was replaced for the next election with the 2 vote system.

The current German system is kind of complicated, but tries to keep to strict proportionality for all the parties that meet the threshold (though I guess it would still be theoretically somewhat vulnerable to a determined attempt to use a decoy list). It does involve having a parliament that can vary in size from 598 to 897 - currently 709 members.
  • Options

How can Alba take a list seat off the Lib Dems in Highlands? We haven't got one!
    Latest BMG poll predicts one.
  • Options
    Sometimes the old memes will still do a turn.

https://twitter.com/acereject/status/1375457400984104964?s=20
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Tres said:

In the sense of being able to benefit from setting up a list-only mini-me party it's only a party that wins most of the constituency seats that can benefit from that ploy, because the system otherwise penalizes that party on the list.

There's no point Labour having a list-only party in Glasgow these days when they don't win any of the Glasgow constituency seats. No benefit from the split. See?
    Ah, I'm with you - I'd read the split as being into two completely different parties (which surely it would on Electoral Commission regulations).
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    sarissa said:

HYUFD said:

Fpt

ping said:

I’ve taken the 5/1 on snp less than 60 seats.

I expect to lose it, but with war declared in Judea, it seems like a value bet...

Dunno if that's good value or not but the most recent projections have the SNP gaining a majority on constituency seats alone. Assuming Salmond's party isn't a giant SNP wrecking operation, he'll be explicitly recommending indy voters should vote SNP for the constituency, so...

Just a thought.

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1375069419626446850?s=20

Not on the poll earlier in the month though and that is more likely with Unionist tactical voting

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1374413276122025987?s=20
    Do try to keep up - there is a later Survation poll and one from BMG as well
    One Survation poll barely a few days later, it means little as it does not account for tactical voting by Unionists on the constituency vote, we are talking about a handful of constituency seats in both polls where tactical voting will be key
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Lib Dems nailed on?

Want a bet? What odds will you give to Alba getting more seats than the Lib Dems?

EDIT: Seats not votes.
    They will certainly get more constituency MSPs, I am not betting on the list
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299
    Electoral choice is never a bad thing. On that basis, good for Salmond.
  • Options

Salmond is standing for a constituency seat in the NE, I gather, as an exception to the list-only rule.

Even if it does produce a wodge of pro-Indy Alba MSPs, I can't see them being willing to support Sturgeon in office, so it might help Sindy but not the SNP.

Labour and the Tories ought to be able to play this as "Don't vote for this shambles", but I'm not sure their dynamics are sufficient.

Alba will likely cost the SNP their majority by losing the SNP their borders list seats, unless the SNP win a majority on the constituency seats alone.

No SNP majority, no indyref2 Boris will correctly say and use the likely Unionist majority on votes as his justification
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,477
    All this talk about Sturgeon and Salmond is making me want to walk out the door of my humble abode here in Seattle, WA and keep on going down to the Locks, and check out the fish ladder.

Except it's wrong time of the year for salmon runs, so - no fish in the ladder to watch.

Instead, a zen exercise.
This discussion has been closed.