Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The May 6th Welsh Senedd election is starting to look very tight – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

He's doing well. Can only be the case that he has stolen these doses from the EU surely?
    FWIW, Montgomery Co, MD where I live is now doing about 0.8% of its population first dose per day, and about half that 2nd dose on top. Not too shabby.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

CNN: For all that prominent Brexiteers talked up the idea of London becoming "Singapore-on-Thames" -- a low-tax financial hub that could de-regulate its way to stealing businesses from Europe -- and a giant in global trade, the UK's socio-economic and political systems will probably remain very European for quite some time to come.

This may seem odd, given the monumental decision Brits took in 2016, backing a campaign to leave the EU led by people like Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson -- free-market capitalists and ardent Euroskeptics.

Yet while Brits did vote by a majority of 1.3 million to leave the EU, what isn't clear is whether they really wanted to be less European.

"There are essentially two dimensions to British politics: The left-right divide on economics and [the] liberal-conservative divide on social issues," says Chris Curtis, a pollster at Opinium Research. He explains that among the political classes, these tend to correlate as social conservatives supporting right-wing economics.

It's much less clear among the general public though.

"Lots of people voted 'Leave' because they wanted the UK to have more control and they opposed immigration, but they do not support the idea of shrinking the state, deregulating, and lowering standards," Curtis adds. "Many of the leaders of the Brexit movement saw the future of the country differently."

Britain as a European nation has always been a bit of a paradox.

On one hand, the public doesn't think of itself as particularly European. On the other, it supports policies which are.

It does not support vaccine nationalism and its appalling behaviour
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,251
    DavidL said:

UK vaccinations

Anyone know why NI is doing so poorly? Almost 10% behind now, best part of 2 weeks.
    One factor is that you don't need an NHS number to book a vaccination, so hundreds of people from the Republic have been booking and then been turned away when they turn up.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0323/1205728-northern-ireland-vaccinations/
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,187
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

I presume a "surprise" would be the Conservatives getting most votes but I just wonder if the surprise will end there.

If the numbers work that either Labour +PC or Conservative + PC would command a majority in the Senedd, there seems an assumption only the former is likely.

I wonder.

72 hours before the 2010 election, Cameron said he wouldn't do a deal with the Liberal Democrats. That's what politicians say because they want you to vote for them not for someone else. I don't know if Andrew Davies is honestly saying a Welsh Conservative Party he led couldn't work with Plaid but if the opportunity were there to replace Labour and become First Minister, are we saying he wouldn't take it?

That would be the surprise, a CON/PC Government in Wales.

I wouldn't rule it out whatever the respective Party leaders are saying now - the temptation of power can be very strong.

I suspect if PC changed their minds and jumped into an RT lead coalition (or any coalition/supply arrangement with RT) they would be heading down the same rabbit hole as the LDs did after their UK coalition with the Conservatives. I voted PC in 2016 only to be appalled at the idea of Leanne's rainbow coalition with UKIP and the Conservatives. If I vote for them either on a candidate or list basis it isn't to furnish the Welsh Conservatives ( who make Johnson look like a Statesman) with any part in the Sennedd Government, and I suspect I would not be alone.

If the Conservatives can smash Labour and almost go it alone, that is another matter.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    DavidL said:

UK vaccinations

Anyone know why NI is doing so poorly? Almost 10% behind now, best part of 2 weeks.
    NI
    50+ 677,166
    18+ 1,452,962

First doses 703,334 (103.8% 50+)

Scotland
    50+ 4,434,138
    18+ 2,183,051

First doses 2,285,711 (104.7%)

Wales
    50+ 1,293,189
    18+ 2,522,940

First doses 1,320,188 (102.1%)

England
    50+ 21,043,663
    18+ 44,263,393

First doses 24,681,955 (117.3%)

I'd also posit that broadly you'd expect health and social care (Outside of obstetrics and paediatrics) requirements to increase with age, as well as pre-existing conditions.

So the Wales-Scotland-NI gap is not so large. England is clearly ahead.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited March 2021
    ydoethur said:

Forget all these media organizations sending all their employees on unconscious bias training, stats 101 seems like a more pressing training course they need to undertake.

I'm in the process of hiring a statistician.

Some of their CVs and work is something to behold.
    In a good way or a bad way?
    Both.

One has worked for the the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority and International Atomic Energy Agency and a lot of the stuff they put in their experiences section has to be redacted.

One has worked for NASA.

Then there's one chap who is barely out of university and thinks he's an expert because he knows how to use excel. He would rival me for legendary modesty.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cookie said:

Floater said:
    The term 'white supremacist' seems to be trotted out far, far more often than seems credible. Either there is a massive dose of McCarthyism going on or there has been a linguitic shift such that 'white supracist' now means what 'white person' did ten years ago.
    I simply don't believe there are that many white supremacists around.
    The article mentions white supremacists twice, as far as I could see. Given that it is Minnesota, could 2 people out of a black community have run into white racists? I'd be gobsmacked if they hadn't. Is it too much to call a white racist a white supremacist? Maybe, but I'd be interested in where and how you draw the line.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,097
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Have you seen the Welsh Tories?

A more complete collection of Stegosaurus, Velociraptors, Triceratops, Diplodocus and Tyrannosaurus has not stalked the Earth for the last 60 million years.

It is a remarkable breakthrough in palaeontology that Llafur have accomplished.

Wales is like Jurassic Park.

Llafur -- with their record of failure, cronyism and corruption since 1999 -- have managed to bring the dinosaurs back to life.

That's grossly unfair to the dinosaurs. And it's 65 Myr for Tyrannosaurus - Stegosaurus was a lot earlier.
    Yes, there's a misconception that all the dinosaurs were around at a similar time, but of course the Mesozoic lasted for about 180 million years. Less time separates us from Tyrannosaurus than separated Tyrannosaurus from Stegosaurus.

That's like the stat that Cleopatra lived closer in time to now than to when the Great Pyramid was built.
    I hadn't heard your one before but it is obviously right when you think about it. The Stegosaurus one made me worry about the authenticity of Land Before Time when I heard it. Next I will be getting told that dinosaurs didn't do singing numbers.
    I bet they did "sing"! Birds do...
    That'd imply having a syrinx, no? A quick google produced this which implies otherwise (alas). But obviousloy some uncertainty as to when it evolved.

https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=189996
    Boo! Pity.

Presumably they did have vocalisations of some sort, though, otherwise it is hard to see how/why a syrinx might evolve. Sadly, without soft tissue there is only ever going to be a lot of speculation and not a lot of evidence...
  • Options
    I misread the posters as End Davidson
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,395

Forget all these media organizations sending all their employees on unconscious bias training, stats 101 seems like a more pressing training course they need to undertake.

I've met a quant who couldn't add, and a derivatives trader who didn't know that risk numbers moved when the base rate changed...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,296

DavidL said:

UK vaccinations

One factor is that you don't need an NHS number to book a vaccination, so hundreds of people from the Republic have been booking and then been turned away when they turn up.

I guessed it had something to do with Ireland but I couldn't see the angle. Thanks. Might have been the only part of the UK where the Scottish don't call us, we'll call you policy just might have been better.
  • Options

I've met a quant who couldn't add, and a derivatives trader who didn't know that risk numbers moved when the base rate changed...
    I think I've interviewed that quant and dismissed that derivatives trader.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,447
    TimT said:

Cookie said:

Floater said:
    The term 'white supremacist' seems to be trotted out far, far more often than seems credible. Either there is a massive dose of McCarthyism going on or there has been a linguitic shift such that 'white supracist' now means what 'white person' did ten years ago.
    The article mentions white supremacists twice, as far as I could see. Given that it is Minnesota, could 2 people out of a black community have run into white racists? I'd be gobsmacked if they hadn't. Is it too much to call a white racist a white supremacist? Maybe, but I'd be interested in where and how you draw the line.
    Why 'given that it is Minnesota'? Is Minnesota particularly known for white racists?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,536

DavidL said:

UK vaccinations

https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1374477313195139076
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for the the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority and International Atomic Energy Agency and a lot of the stuff they put in their experiences section has to be redacted.

One has worked for NASA.

Then there's one chap who is barely out of university and thinks he's an expert because he knows how to use excel. He would rival me for legendary modesty.
    If you're struggling for decent candidates, I've got rather a nice spreadsheet on Welsh elections I could send you.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

Biden told a massive whopper at the press conference...

Earlier, Biden said: “There is a significant increase in the number of people coming in the border in the winter months of January, February, March. It happens every year”.

Except it doesn't.

Hang on. There is an increase that happens in that period. See the five years to 2017 her: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration-fy2017

However, the *peak* period is April/May.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    Cookie said:

TimT said:

Cookie said:

Floater said:
    Why 'given that it is Minnesota'? Is Minnesota particularly known for white racists?
    Minnesota is mostly harmless.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Cookie said:

Floater said:
    White Supremacist now simply means “Not ‘Anti-Racist’” in woke-speak.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TimT said:

Cookie said:

Floater said:
    It is a very white (~84%) part of the country with a larger rural population than most states.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

UK vaccinations

NI
    50+ 677,166
    18+ 1,452,962

First doses 703,334 (103.8% 50+)

Scotland
    50+ 4,434,138
    18+ 2,183,051

First doses 2,285,711 (104.7%)

Wales
    50+ 1,293,189
    18+ 2,522,940

First doses 1,320,188 (102.1%)

England
    50+ 21,043,663
    18+ 44,263,393

First doses 24,681,955 (117.3%)

I'd also posit that broadly you'd expect health and social care (Outside of obstetrics and paediatrics) requirements to increase with age, as well as pre-existing conditions.

So the Wales-Scotland-NI gap is not so large. England is clearly ahead.

All nations outside England have issues -

Republic residents turning up and gumming up NI works;
    Wales is using far too short a gap to second doses;
    Scotland is relying too much on slow paper invitations.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Earlier, Biden said: “There is a significant increase in the number of people coming in the border in the winter months of January, February, March. It happens every year”.

Except it doesn't.

Hang on. There is an increase that happens in that period. See the five years to 2017 her: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration-fy2017

More kids in cages for the President to look forward to in the next couple of months.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

Let me guess, the kid barely out of uni described himself as a ‘data scientist’?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

Don’t hire a mean one. It’s not a la mode.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Except it doesn't.

More kids in cages for the President to look forward to in the next couple of months.
    If only someone had produced an excellent video on how to stop illegal immigration:

https://youtu.be/NG4NCHuvCC4
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    I wonder if this has anything to do with a labour shortage resulting from the border closure?

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1375150088335601667
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

When I started my first job I was taken through the trading floor. This is where all the rocket scientists are I joked. "Bill and Joe here are from JPL, Tom is from....etc..." I was curtly informed.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

When I started my first job I was taken through the trading floor. This is where all the rocket scientists are I joked. "Bill and Joe here are from JPL, Tom is from....etc..." I was curtly informed.
    For a while, I wrote petitions for people getting EB-1 (alien of extraordinary ability) visas in the US. Most were Wall St types. Nearly all the quants came from High Energy Particle physics research labs.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

Did he work for Dido?
  • Options
    Early days but not sure the doubling on the p1 variant is a great sign...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,204
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Floater said:
    No, it's overused but not quite to that extent.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

Let me guess, the kid barely out of uni described himself as a ‘data scientist’?
    Data and Information Scientist.

His cover letter was an epic soliloquy on the difference between data and information.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Floater said:
    Even anti racists dont get a free pass, it merely means you are slightly less of a white supremist.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

I reckon Excel boy would definitely do this...

https://twitter.com/DeepLearningAI_/status/1375100156186611712?s=19
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

If you're struggling for decent candidates, I've got rather a nice spreadsheet on Welsh elections I could send you.
    Please do.
  • Options
    TimT said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

For a while, I wrote petitions for people getting EB-1 (alien of extraordinary ability) visas in the US. Most were Wall St types. Nearly all the quants came from High Energy Particle physics research labs.
    This was around the time when Gibson Greetings Cards lost a ton of money on IRSs.

We were taught to ask clients "are your views really that complicated?"
  • Options

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

His cover letter was an epic soliloquy on the difference between data and information.
    Yes but did he say data are or data is...?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    BBC News - Ford says farewell to 'Mondeo man' as car to be phased out
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56526468

Whats the 2021 equivalent? Toyota Terry? Hybrid Harry?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

LOL, the guy I interviewed who described himself as such knew less SQL than I did, and I was supposedly hiring him to write the reports I didn’t have time to do!
  • Options
    Brains Trust:

I have just received a Business Rates Bill for a small hairdressers' shop which is in my mum's estate and has been empty since the T moved on.

Still waiting for probate, so I can't sell it.

12 month bill and it is planned to sell it ASAP.

Is there anything I can do here?
  • Options

Tesla Tosser?
  • Options
    Well this is one way to avoid contractual problems with the EU

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1375114125630705674

Can't blame Novavax really, I wouldn't sign a contract if I was them with the EU either.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Don’t hire a mean one. It’s not a la mode.
    But try to be discrete, or your search will be continuous.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

All our year of lockdown and suffering could be rendered pointless. Because we are so pathetically effete about refugees

You voted for it...

https://twitter.com/BBCDomC/status/1374765554863575047
    Priti Patel needs to sort this, yesterday
    I'm not about to worry about the streets of the Channel ports being awash with unquarantined migrants based on one report from the Daily Mail. As a general principle, however, new arrivals do all need to be locked away in secure accommodation for three weeks before anything else is done with them. I've no idea of the extent to which this is being enforced.
    I don’t think the Daily Mail is lying here. Nor is the report particularly provocative. The fact is we aren’t securing the Anglo-French border properly. We need to quarantine illegal migrants much more securely, and Boris has to start testing hauliers.

We’re nearly at the finishing line. But one fuck up - importing a load of the SA bug from France - could destroy alll our grinding hard work. This is exceptionally important. Just get a fucking grip, Boris. France is on fire.
    they get sent up to hotels in manchester and glasgow.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Sandpit said:

Tesla Tosser?
    EV Eddies....they are the ones that tell everybody you really need to get one, to save the planet, but they themselves drive a diesel.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited March 2021
    MattW said:

Brains Trust:

I have just received a Business Rates Bill for a small hairdressers' shop which is in my mum's estate and has been empty since the T moved on.

Apply for void rates?

Is it completely physically emptied of stuff?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Pulpstar said:

Can't blame Novavax really, I wouldn't sign a contract if I was them with the EU either.

They've watched the EU burn AZ at the stake for their lower than hoped for yields, whereas the UK Government has been emollient about similar problems throughout. So, as you say, who would you rather work with?

Besides which, if Novavax really are struggling to get hold of finite raw materials, it's only to be expected that they'd prioritise pre-existing commitments before taking on new ones.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    MattW said:

Brains Trust:

If the business rating is less than £12K you can apply for small business relief and pay nothing.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Did we already know the 2 booking systems don't talk to each other.

I have a 2nd jab on 14th on National system and swiftqueue sent me one for the following day in GP system.

Rang up my GP to cancel one. No can do apparently.
  • Options
    ping said:

MattW said:

Brains Trust:

Apply for void rates?

have business rates not been cancelled for the last year?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If the price wasn’t thousands of avoidable deaths, I would quote Hamlet here.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

ping said:

MattW said:

Brains Trust:

Apply for void rates?

have business rates not been cancelled for the last year?
    Only for certain categories such as hospitality I think.
  • Options

I have a 2nd jab on 14th on National system and swiftqueue sent me one for the following day in GP system.

Can you transfer it to me?

(No, this is not meant seriously.)
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

MattW said:

Brains Trust:

If the business rating is less than £12K you can apply for small business relief and pay nothing.
    Thanks. It's empty, so no business.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

A few weeks ago you were stressing that your card hadn't been filled in and that meant you wouldn't get a 2nd dose...now you got two 2nd doses.

The way GPs are running their systems varies from place to place, some much better than others. My fathers one is really flexible, all online, he was sent a code, put in to a website, choose from a range of dates and times and you can change / cancel at any time.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,187

The fortunes of the Ford Mondeo and the Labour Party have declined with equal rapidity over the last 25 years.

So does that mean the Labour Party is fully phased out by early 2022?
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Sandpit said:

Tesla Tosser?
    EV Eddies....they are the ones that tell everybody you really need to get one, to save the planet, but they themselves drive a diesel.
    What do we call the guy who buys a plug-in hybrid for the BIK, but never plugs it in and drives around lugging a couple of hundred extra kilos compared to the standard petrol model?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Can you transfer it to me?

(No, this is not meant seriously.)
    I have no idea how to cancel the swiftqueue one No reference just a text to attend
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

Yes but did he say data are or data is...?
    He's a data is man, another reason to toss out his CV.
  • Options

A few weeks ago you were stressing that your card hadn't been filled in and that meant you wouldn't get a 2nd dose...now you got two 2nd doses.

The way GPs are running their systems varies from place to place, some much better than others. My fathers one is really flexible, all online, you put in a code, choose from a range of dates and times and you can cancel at any time.
    That was then.

This is now.

Apparently the Tories know there is a shortage coming so they are sending out 2 2nd doses to all good Socialists!!!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

LOL, the guy I interviewed who described himself as such knew less SQL than I did, and I was supposedly hiring him to write the reports I didn’t have time to do!
    Still not as impressive as another guy who applied to work for us a few years ago, we did a social media search on him and he was wearing a 'Bankers are Wankers' T shirt and in many posts blamed banks, especially the Jewish ones, for all the evil in the world.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,061
    edited March 2021
  • Options

The way GPs are running their systems varies from place to place, some much better than others. My fathers one is really flexible, all online, he was sent a code, put in to a website, choose from a range of dates and times and you can change / cancel at any time.
    As I say they told me I couldn't cancel.and they wouldn't. Sounds like they both want to get paid for jabbing me.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

The way GPs are running their systems varies from place to place, some much better than others. My fathers one is really flexible, all online, you put in a code, choose from a range of dates and times and you can cancel at any time.
    That was then.

This is now.

Apparently the Tories know there is a shortage coming so they are sending out 2 2nd doses to all good Socialists!!!
    I don't see your issue...the systems have been set up to try and ensure everybody gets vaccinated. That's happening at incredible speed and minimal fuss. I have no idea why your GP is acting like a twonk that can't deal with somebody saying they don't need an appointment. But in the grand scheme of things the wastage is tiny, the throughput is huge and all happening with minimal fuss, so these things can't be very widespread.

My mother got contacted nationally and via GP in the space of a couple of days, she just cancelled one of them.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

Still not as impressive as another guy who applied to work for us a few years ago, we did a social media search on him and he was wearing a 'Bankers are Wankers' T shirt and in many posts blamed banks, especially the Jewish ones, for all the evil in the world.
    That’s a good one.

I know of someone who changed their name by deed poll when they graduated, and got the degree in their new name, purely to avoid employers finding anything on them from four or five years of student antics.

I have a presentation I do to schools and parents groups, called “Why I’m not on Facebook”.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

Did they expect to get the job or were they just trolling you?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

That’s a good one.

I know of someone who changed their name by deed poll when they graduated, and got the degree in their new name, purely to avoid employers finding anything on them from four or five years of student antics.

I have a presentation I do to schools and parents groups, called “Why I’m not on Facebook”.
    I'm so glad I went to university when camera phones and social media weren't things and I was a model student and good muslim boy to boot but I didn't half get into scrapes because of the antics of my friends.
  • Options
    A combination of variants getting a proper grip and partial, indecisive countermeasures. Tottering gradually backwards into national lockdown via a patchwork of regional restrictions, just like we did at the end of last year.

The French pattern of cases looks rather like that of the UK in mid-December; here, of course, the Government didn't finally throw in the towel on nationwide lockdown for two further weeks, the tsunami of death reached its peak two weeks after that, and pretty much three months on from the start of lockdown we're still in it save for the schools. France is in for a Springtime of horrors, God help them.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,623
    edited March 2021
    This is where being anti-science and anti a vaccine developed in association with the world's number one university gets you.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

That’s a good one.

Should I delete all my "Kill the managers" posts before applying for my next position?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    ping said:

MattW said:

Brains Trust:

Apply for void rates?

Emptied of equipment, but still has tiled finishes etc.

Some stuff stored on 1st Floor.

I'll try void rates as 3 months may cover us.

Hmm. There may be something under "entitled to occupation as a Personal Representative". I am the Executor.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited March 2021
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

Did they expect to get the job or were they just trolling you?
    Genuinely thought they deserved the job (tbf their education suggested as much) but didn't think their youthful indiscretions would be found, and if they did, wouldn't matter.
  • Options

That was then.

This is now.

I don't see your issue...the systems have been set up to try and ensure everybody gets vaccinated. That's happening at incredible speed and minimal fuss. I have no idea why your GP is acting like a twonk that can't deal with somebody saying they don't need an appointment. But in the grand scheme of things the wastage is tiny, the throughput is huge and all happening with minimal fuss, so these things can't be very widespread.

My mother got contacted nationally and via GP in the space of a couple of days, she just cancelled one of them.
    I don't have an issue.Just pointing out we have a system where one half can't communicate with the other.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

They've watched the EU burn AZ at the stake for their lower than hoped for yields, whereas the UK Government has been emollient about similar problems throughout. So, as you say, who would you rather work with?

Besides which, if Novavax really are struggling to get hold of finite raw materials, it's only to be expected that they'd prioritise pre-existing commitments before taking on new ones.
    My first thought is -

"We are dealing with people who don't understand production problems."

My second is -

"We need a clause in the contract where the person who signs for the EU commits ritual suicide with a blunt spoon if anyone in the EU does something stupid. Again."
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,623
    Guess what...

"More Britons think vaccine passports should be brought in for people using gyms than those visiting hospitals or GP surgeries, a poll has found.

Fifty-six per cent of respondents want the certificates to be enforced for those wanting to work out while only 43 per cent say they should be needed at medical centres, the YouGov survey said.

Over half - nearly six in ten - said they would support the plans and more than a quarter - 28 per cent - said they would strongly back the idea."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9401561/Where-vaccine-passports-used-YouGov-poll-reveals-Britons-want-IDs-place-gyms.html
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Both.

One has worked for NASA.

Had a couple of those. They really wanted the jobs.

Seems like the joke about handing out business cards* at "Killer The Banksters!" demos is true.

*With "Call in 3 years" on the back.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Tesla Tosser?
    What do we call the guy who buys a plug-in hybrid for the BIK, but never plugs it in and drives around lugging a couple of hundred extra kilos compared to the standard petrol model?
    In the UK you'd call him a complete idiot, given how much cheaper electricity is than petrol.

(Of course, that may not be true in Dubai.)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

This is where being anti-science and anti a vaccine developed in association with the world's number one university gets you.
    World's number one university?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    This is confusing, England in blue, San Marino in white, given England are at home.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,985
    Andy_JS said:

Guess what...

"More Britons think vaccine passports should be brought in for people using gyms than those visiting hospitals or GP surgeries, a poll has found.

Fifty-six per cent of respondents want the certificates to be enforced for those wanting to work out while only 43 per cent say they should be needed at medical centres, the YouGov survey said.

Over half - nearly six in ten - said they would support the plans and more than a quarter - 28 per cent - said they would strongly back the idea."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9401561/Where-vaccine-passports-used-YouGov-poll-reveals-Britons-want-IDs-place-gyms.html

People who don't use gyms support vaccine passports for gyms shocker.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Back on topic, the YouGov poll numbers give a seat projection of:

Lab 22
    Con 19
    PC 14
    Abolish 4
    LD 1

Abolish and LDs are irrelevant on those numbers but the options of a Lab/PC or Con/PC Government are both viable. It's a huge reverse for Labour and their worst ever Senedd result and it would be the best ever for the Conservatives.

I suppose the Conservatives will be hoping they can yoke PC to Labour and win against them both in 2026 though that will be strongly contingent on the result of the next GE I suspect.

Would Drakeford survive such a reverse? Perhaps his head is the price for PC's support - I don't know.
  • Options
    There is no sense in us turning on each other, just as there is no sense in thinking that others are doing much better," European Parliament President David-Maria Sassoli said at a press conference.

"The more unity we show, the more trust we will inspire," he added. "Salvation lies in working together."
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Guess what...

People who don't use gyms support vaccine passports for gyms shocker.
    Specifically old people, hardly any of whom use gyms. As with taxation, authoritarianism is very popular in Britain, provided that it is inflicted on other people. The elderly are especially keen.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,061

There is no sense in us turning on each other, just as there is no sense in thinking that others are doing much better," European Parliament President David-Maria Sassoli said at a press conference.

"The more unity we show, the more trust we will inspire," he added. "Salvation lies in working together."

Is that a direct quote? He sounds like a tele-evangelist.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

It’s a number 2 university, actually.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Is that a direct quote? He sounds like a tele-evangelist.
    Yes it is a direct quote. All that is missing is the phone number to donate.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Lab 22
    Con 19
    PC 14
    Abolish 4
    LD 1

Abolish and LDs are irrelevant on those numbers but the options of a Lab/PC or Con/PC Government are both viable. It's a huge reverse for Labour and their worst ever Senedd result and it would be the best ever for the Conservatives.

I suppose the Conservatives will be hoping they can yoke PC to Labour and win against them both in 2026 though that will be strongly contingent on the result of the next GE I suspect.

Would Drakeford survive such a reverse? Perhaps his head is the price for PC's support - I don't know.

We have been here many times before.

Tories will underperform.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Oxford says otherwise based on the intermediate findings ;-)
  • Options
    DayTripperDayTripper Posts: 129
    Barnesian said:

MattW said:

Brains Trust:

If you haven't claimed small business rate relief previously, you can also claim it retrospectively for up to six years (I believe). Told our neighbours who also have a holiday cottage this they got 12k back...
  • Options
    Should be 3-0 already.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Lab 22
    Con 19
    PC 14
    Abolish 4
    LD 1

If PC are to look at formal coalition they will certainly demand the FM post, but will probably abandon it at an early stage.

The LibDems will not win any seats. I am confident in that prediction. I could be wrong but I’m still confident.

Equally, I will be very surprised if Abolish the Assembly do. Since the Assembly has already technically been abolished, they are very much fighting a forgotten war.

And, no, Drakeford wouldn’t survive a really poor result, but he is helped by the paucity of alternatives.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I'll reserve judgement until I hear from Hull.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Any institution that could give a PhD to notorious forger and liar Naomi Wolf is clearly a bit shit.
  • Options

Should be 3-0 already.

Strong start by San Marino, is it?
This discussion has been closed.