Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Do we know whether this means jabbed once or jabbed twice? Given the report this morning that Greece, for example, will require both jabs before entry it may affect Granny’s chance of spending May in Mykonos.
    Pretty certain it means once, which would require an uptick in our current rate but achievable.

Two doses would mean a very big increase.
    Having flights to Athens for June, we are hanging on in hope (naive perhaps) that we will be able to go having had both jabs, being in the 60-65 group. Of course, it may be technically possible but worries about the importation of some new variant mean that we choose not to go anyway.
    You'll likely get two weeks in a hotel on your return for your troubles, vaccinated or not.
    Not according to the Times...

That doesn't say anything about what will happen on your return.
    Fair point, however the report goes on to say that U.K. officials have told the Greek Tourism Ministry that U.K. vaccinations are so far ahead that U.K. holiday makers will save the Greek summer season. That doesn’t suggest that U.K. holiday makers are going to have to quarantine on their return, though I accept the point isn’t explicit.
    If there is still an outbreak in Greece do you really think they will be letting people come back without quarantining after finally getting the bug under control?
    I’d be surprised if the Greeks and U.K. are discussing arrangements, to make holidays feasible this summer, that involve 10 days quarantine in the U.K. with a £1,000 hotel bill for returning holidaymakers. Such an arrangement wouldn’t save the Greek summer season.

The broader question I guess is what conditions would allow overseas holidays to happen without overly onerous arrangements at the beginning or end of the holiday?

Am I the only one who really doesn’t get this holidays obsession?

Why would be even be discussing holidays abroad when the damn virus is all over the place?

The likeliest scenario is that by the summer the U.K. is pretty much vaccinated, most of Europe very much not, and more virus mutations out there which might be resistant to the vaccine.

We should be shutting the borders, and encouraging everyone to spend their money domestically.
    Whilst I agree @Sandpit I think it would be fair to say you are probably not on your third continuous day of sleet and rain!
    You are indeed correct. We are expecting rain next week though, it’s very late arriving this winter.
    So are we. Just like every other week!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Starmer continues his move away from Corbyn years
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1357665977132085248?s=19

Crazy to think Corbyn was still leader of Labour just eleven months ago.

Don’t suppose the egregious Dr Peters has finished spouting his asinine bs masquerading as serious analysis though.

Could we invite him onto PB to raise the amusement factor?
    Politicians invited to pb for a q&a session could be interesting, wonder if anyone senior would accept?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    MattW said:

MaxPB said:

I think the government should hold off having any vaccine passports until the vast majority of over adults have been given both doses of vaccine.

Young people have been asked to make great sacrifices for the last year so we didn't end up with half a million dead old people, if the oldies start getting back on their cruise ships at the first possible moment it would break the current social contract we have where we're all in it together.

It also puts pressure on the government to keep up the pace of rollout and not to stand down once the over 50s are done as many people my age expect. We'll be thrown to the dogs and all of our vaccines will be given away when it's our turn.

If all the old buggers went on s cruise I might get the chance of z Tesco delivery though
    I probably fall into the category described, and my wife fancies a River Cruise for a big birthday later this year. Whether the Douro will open for cruises this summer I don't know! Don't fancy, as posted before, going through two or three customs points on the Rhine or Danube.
    Get a Hoseasons and take it across the Channel.

It will be like inverted Dunkirk.
    Does anyone have the dates for the 2021 ho season?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Alistair said:

Wife duly vaccinated. I think I erroneously said she was group 6 yesterday - total brain fart, she is group 4.

My wife had her Pride of England AZ shot earlier this week. She was quite ill for about a day but is now up and about catching up on her Dura Ace bollocking backlog.
    I'm not liking all the "feel crook for 48 hours" reportage. Might not have it now. Big side benefit of that is I will accrue immense moral authority to argue for a global priority for the vaccine. People will have to sit up and listen.
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Alistair said:

Wife duly vaccinated. I think I erroneously said she was group 6 yesterday - total brain fart, she is group 4.

My wife had her Pride of England AZ shot earlier this week. She was quite ill for about a day but is now up and about catching up on her Dura Ace bollocking backlog.
    I'm not liking all the "feel crook for 48 hours" reportage. Might not have it now. Big side benefit of that is I will accrue immense moral authority to argue for a global priority for the vaccine. People will have to sit up and listen.
    No, we’ll just assume you’re trying to find virtue signalling ways to wriggle out of having your vaccine.

Like a small child saying it thought the dog wanted that broccoli. :smile:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,975
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Alistair said:

Your jab won't be heading off to some 85 year old in Manaus that needs it, it'll go into the bin. And you'll have set back both the UK's and the world's herd immunity efforts.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,358
    MattW said:

kle4 said:
    My favourite was a predominantly Tory PC in my then patch with two rival factions, famously combative - for example, they condemned all the local churches for not discussing their arrangements for Easter with the PC. One member was UKIP, and succeeded in intiating a Parish Council referendum of all residents on EU membership.
    Did you hear Anna Soubry on Today this morning.

She was excellent value on Stapleford and Kimberley, especially on the former bouncer with the red camo meeting David Cameron.

At 2:22:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000rww3
    Yes, that's really funny, though her memory is slipping - Richard Macrae was and is a non-party insurgent on Stapleford council, while Shane Easom was a Tory on Kimberley. Both actually pretty good. He was and I believe still is hugely popular (now on the borough council too) and a very effective councillor, but not one to be deferential to PMs or anyone else.
  • Options
    White over-80s are almost twice as likely to have had the coronavirus vaccine than elderly black Britons, a report has found.

The research comes amid fears that Covid-19 vaccine refusal rates are highest among black, Asian and ethnic minority (BAME) Britons.

Figures showed that 48 per cent of black Britons, a total of 5,012, over-80 in England had their first dose by January 27, compared to 82 per cent, 650,664, of white elderly Britons.

The data, collated by OpenSAFELY on behalf of NHS England, also revealed that 62 per cent of South Asian over-80s, 16,814, had received the Covid jab, followed by 59 per cent, 1,645, of elderly people of mixed ethnicity.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9227355/White-80s-TWICE-likely-jab-elderly-black-Britons-report-reveals.html
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    MattW said:
    How does Keating square that with his response to the UK's "Only countries can have full ambassadors"?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,147
    HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Biden did not seek a second term, at what point would he (realistically) need to confirm it? Presumably some time before the Jan 2024 Iowa caucuses? Just trying to understand how long I'd be locking up money in a lay Biden bet.

If he is sensible he would not confirm he was not seeking re election until autumn 2023, otherwise he would be a lame duck and that seems to be the strategy he is pursuing.
    It will be incredibly difficult, if not impossible, for him to leave it that long.

Other Democrats will be looking to form exploratory committees, raise funds, and get out there in the early states. The pressure from his deputy and presumed preferred successor will be immense as that happens, because she will be tied until he formalises the position.

My bet would be an announcement on 20th November, 2022. That would follow the midterms and be his 80th birthday.

If those midterms go badly for the Democrats, Biden is a lame duck anyway - his domestic agenda is over. If they go well then Harris is probably unbeatable in the primaries and can take charge of the domestic agenda two years early.
    It will certainly not be as early as November 2022, that would leave Biden a lame duck for the second half of his term and he is too shrewd to allow that.

The first primaries and caucuses are not until January 2024, plenty of time to announce in autumn 2023.

I bet you can "read the tea leaves" though - I imagine that if it all goes well in the midterms, Harris will become ever more prominent after the holiday season, and through spring 2023 until it is entirely unsurprisingly announced pre-holiday season of that year.
    Maybe late summer but Biden will not want Harris to effectively be seen as President in all but name only halfway through his term.

Plus if the midterms go badly but Biden still polls better than Harris he may decide to run for re election anyway
    I agree that Biden probably would not want that - but there may be something of a disturbance in the force if Harris's people push for that de facto transition earlier, as I suspect they would.

I also agree that if the midterms go badly, then it is an entirely different story.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Alistair said:

A real problem for your "global priority" crusade: what do you say if, as an example, China decides that rather than vaccinate the Uighurs it'll buy a couple more small African countries not already in its portfolio with the vaccines instead? Easy for me: I say there's a moral imperative to look after your own before you look after others. What do you say, that doesn't license countries less nice than us to leave their own poor and disadvantaged without state protection?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,311
    edited February 2021
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Do we know whether this means jabbed once or jabbed twice? Given the report this morning that Greece, for example, will require both jabs before entry it may affect Granny’s chance of spending May in Mykonos.
    Pretty certain it means once, which would require an uptick in our current rate but achievable.

Two doses would mean a very big increase.
    Having flights to Athens for June, we are hanging on in hope (naive perhaps) that we will be able to go having had both jabs, being in the 60-65 group. Of course, it may be technically possible but worries about the importation of some new variant mean that we choose not to go anyway.
    You'll likely get two weeks in a hotel on your return for your troubles, vaccinated or not.
    Not according to the Times...

That doesn't say anything about what will happen on your return.
    Fair point, however the report goes on to say that U.K. officials have told the Greek Tourism Ministry that U.K. vaccinations are so far ahead that U.K. holiday makers will save the Greek summer season. That doesn’t suggest that U.K. holiday makers are going to have to quarantine on their return, though I accept the point isn’t explicit.
    If there is still an outbreak in Greece do you really think they will be letting people come back without quarantining after finally getting the bug under control?
    I’d be surprised if the Greeks and U.K. are discussing arrangements, to make holidays feasible this summer, that involve 10 days quarantine in the U.K. with a £1,000 hotel bill for returning holidaymakers. Such an arrangement wouldn’t save the Greek summer season.

The broader question I guess is what conditions would allow overseas holidays to happen without overly onerous arrangements at the beginning or end of the holiday?

Am I the only one who really doesn’t get this holidays obsession?

Why would be even be discussing holidays abroad when the damn virus is all over the place?

The likeliest scenario is that by the summer the U.K. is pretty much vaccinated, most of Europe very much not, and more virus mutations out there which might be resistant to the vaccine.

We should be shutting the borders, and encouraging everyone to spend their money domestically.
    No you are not. It baffles me, but then it always has. I enjoy activity holidays and some sight seeing, but I have no desire to sit on a beach and I am happy to delay the former activities until it is safe to do so.
    I do actually have a yearning for 10 days Greek Island and sea, pool, sun, paperbacks. Also other stuff involving abroad. Thing with me is, I had not left the country for 8 years - personal reasons - but circumstances changed in Jan 2020, meaning we had all sorts of exotic plans stored up and ready to roll. Then came Covid and it's all on hold again. 1st world problem, sure, but I am really really keen to get away.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

On topic (why do I have to say that): I don't think Biden will run again, although I think it's a bit more than the 20-25% chance currently available. But if he doesn't, then I think Harris almost certainly will - why wouldn't she? And then I don't see how she can be stopped by a fellow member of her administration.

Under those circumstances, Buttigieg has two basic options. He can say she was crap as VP - in which case why did he happily serve alongside her for four years as Transport Sec? Or he can go after her previous record, which is unlikely to stick. Attacking her personality and character after four years in the White House is unlikely to be effective, in my view. And Buttigieg has absolutely no need to challenge in 2024, as he will have loads more chances down the line and plenty of space to build up his CV before he does. So, no deal at 5%.

My guess is that the only likely challenge to Harris (if Biden doesn't stand again) comes from the Sanders wing of the party, claiming that Biden wasn't radical enough and Harris won't be either. Warren might fancy one last shot - I think it will be very difficult for anyone but another woman to beat Harris as the optics would be awful.

Buttigieg may be a VP choice for Harris of course.

One key question is whether it looks like Trump (or one of kids) is going to be the GOP nominee.
    At the moment it looks like Pence will be the GOP nominee, assuming Trump does not run again

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1356836849533284352?s=20
    PPP poll on 2016 Republican nomination, 31 January 2013-3 February 2013:

Marco Rubio 22%
    Paul Ryan 15%
    Jeb Bush 13%
    Chris Christie 13%
    Mike Huckabee 11%
    Rand Paul 10%
    Bobby Jindal 4%
    Rick Perry 3%
    Susana Martinez 1%

So it "looked like Marco Rubio will be GOP nominee" at this stage in that cycle. Trump wasn't even on the radar, and nor was Ted Cruz who came second, and nor indeed was John Kasich who was third in vote share (Rubio was third in delegates).

So these polls are all fine but are basically "who do you know who you can imagine being your party's candidate?" at this stage. And it's not unusual for the big name to come through - Biden did for the Democrats. But it doesn't really tell us a lot - of course it's easy to imagine someone who has just been VP for four years and appeared on the ballot paper just below Trump being the GOP candidate. Does it mean there's any depth or solidity to that support? No.
    That poll excluded Trump and Cruz and Kasich so is not really relevant as you state. As Rubio came 4th in 2016 on votes and 3rd on delegates won it was also actually correct of the candidates included.

It was also a poll for a candidate after 8 years of the party out of the White House, not to challenge an incumbent President or indeed even an incumbent VP.

Most candidates who challenge incumbent Presidents tend to be from the party establishment eg Biden, Romney, Kerry, Dole, Mondale etc so it is highly likely the GOP will pick an establishment candidate like Pence in 2024, assuming Trump does not run again in which case he would likely get it.
    I'm just digging ...
  • Options
    Forty cross-party MPs and peers have urged the University of Huddersfield to close a master’s course it runs at the Royal Academy of Policing in Bahrain, after allegations that political dissidents were being tortured in the same building.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/feb/05/huddersfield-universitys-bahrain-degree-providing-torture-hub-with-legitimacy
  • Options

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

I think the government should hold off having any vaccine passports until the vast majority of over adults have been given both doses of vaccine.

Young people have been asked to make great sacrifices for the last year so we didn't end up with half a million dead old people, if the oldies start getting back on their cruise ships at the first possible moment it would break the current social contract we have where we're all in it together.

It also puts pressure on the government to keep up the pace of rollout and not to stand down once the over 50s are done as many people my age expect. We'll be thrown to the dogs and all of our vaccines will be given away when it's our turn.

If all the old buggers went on s cruise I might get the chance of z Tesco delivery though
    I probably fall into the category described, and my wife fancies a River Cruise for a big birthday later this year. Whether the Douro will open for cruises this summer I don't know! Don't fancy, as posted before, going through two or three customs points on the Rhine or Danube.

It’s coming, but it won’t be premature.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,358
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

This is already an issue for airline pilots, there’s plenty of accident reports that cite “Automation Dependency” as a factor - pilots who initially trained on highly automated modern planes, who struggle with basic flying skills under pressure of a failure of the automatics.

The next generation of arrested carrier landings are going to be automated only via the appallingly named MAGIC CARPET technology.

In an arrested landing the pilot typically makes over 80 control inputs in the last 20 seconds of the flight - we regularly did over 100 in the F-14. Achieving and maintaining that level of skill is very expensive so the computers are taking over. The next generation of USN trainers (T-7) isn't even going to be carrier capable.
    So the pilots will become so rusty at this difficult manoeuvre, that a failure of the automatics results in a £100m bang-out?
    Isn't this why Capt Sully was able to bring the plane down in the Hudson - because he had been trained as a glider pilot as well and so had the skills?

The decisive piece of experience was his judgement that he couldn’t make it back to the airport.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,016
    HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

On topic (why do I have to say that): I don't think Biden will run again, although I think it's a bit more than the 20-25% chance currently available. But if he doesn't, then I think Harris almost certainly will - why wouldn't she? And then I don't see how she can be stopped by a fellow member of her administration.

Under those circumstances, Buttigieg has two basic options. He can say she was crap as VP - in which case why did he happily serve alongside her for four years as Transport Sec? Or he can go after her previous record, which is unlikely to stick. Attacking her personality and character after four years in the White House is unlikely to be effective, in my view. And Buttigieg has absolutely no need to challenge in 2024, as he will have loads more chances down the line and plenty of space to build up his CV before he does. So, no deal at 5%.

My guess is that the only likely challenge to Harris (if Biden doesn't stand again) comes from the Sanders wing of the party, claiming that Biden wasn't radical enough and Harris won't be either. Warren might fancy one last shot - I think it will be very difficult for anyone but another woman to beat Harris as the optics would be awful.

Edit: I should add: unless there's an economic (or other) catastrophe between now and then. In which case all bets are off, but most likely it takes Buttigieg out the reckoning just as much as anyone else.

AOC would challenge Harris and Buttigieg if Biden did not run again in 2024 certainly
    She is certainly the obvious one right now. And she has a huge and dedicated following, at least on social media. They're probably concentrated in the wrong places to really help her win the nomination. I doubt she'd make much headway in the Southern states that refused to vote for anyone but Biden this time around, and I cannot see the wider Democrat party being dumb enough to pick her.
    No but AOC would pick up the torch of the Democratic left from Sanders.

If she won the nomination and Pence won the GOP nomination, Pence would arguably then be the moderate candidate against her.
    AOC won't stand in 2024 - she would only just be 35.

If and when AOC stands it will be far later 2032 or 2036.
  • Options

MattW said:

MaxPB said:

Isn't it already up and running?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9224859/19-Frenchmen-caught-brothel-raid-Spanish-police.html
  • Options

Are the NYT feeling ok?

Vaccines Could Blunt U.K. Epidemic in Weeks

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/02/04/world/europe/covid-vaccine-uk-rate.html

Still puts the lion's share of the credit on the NHS, not HMG, the researchers, or AZN, without whom there'd be nothing for the NHS to roll out. Don't get me wrong, the NHS' staff have been heroic, and their centralized systems (and particularly medical record keeping) are important factors in the success. But there is no way that the 1st three parties have a lesser share of the credit than the NHS.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

Edit: I should add: unless there's an economic (or other) catastrophe between now and then. In which case all bets are off, but most likely it takes Buttigieg out the reckoning just as much as anyone else.

AOC would challenge Harris and Buttigieg if Biden did not run again in 2024 certainly
    She is certainly the obvious one right now. And she has a huge and dedicated following, at least on social media. They're probably concentrated in the wrong places to really help her win the nomination. I doubt she'd make much headway in the Southern states that refused to vote for anyone but Biden this time around, and I cannot see the wider Democrat party being dumb enough to pick her.

If she won the nomination and Pence won the GOP nomination, Pence would arguably then be the moderate candidate against her.

She will now Sanders is unlikely to run again.

Once she hits 35 she is constitutionally eligible to run and can pick up Sanders supporters
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

Don't buy this. She'll be 35, the minimum age, the month before the election.
    Surely the Dems have a candidate in the age range 36-81. It's a broad target.

PS. Just googled AOC. She was born on the very day I first dated the missus.
    Way to feel old!
  • Options
    Fuck me, not even a dog whistle, just your standard referee’s job at full toot.

https://twitter.com/sazmeister88/status/1357530522973593600?s=21
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,678

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Alistair said:

Woke up this morning with a sore arm after getting Phizered yesterday. Don't know why it's so much more painful than the annual flu shot. Maybe they have to dig deeper, or perhaps the jabber was knackered after a long day's work. Anyway, at least it was injected where the sun occasionally shines. Chin up.
    The injection is at right angles into a muscle. Reasonably long needle by the look of mine on Tuesday.

I had the AZ one and it has been fine.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,478

Richard Littlejohn's a lot blacker, younger and more handsome than I remember him. Has he joined the clergy too?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

One key question is whether it looks like Trump (or one of kids) is going to be the GOP nominee.
    At the moment it looks like Pence will be the GOP nominee, assuming Trump does not run again

I'd be surprised if it was Pence, the Trump faction won't forgive him for err... following the law regarding the ECV count.
    On that poll of GOP voters, taken after Pence followed the law on the ECV count, Pence is on 21% ie more than Trump Jr, Cruz and Hawley combined so I disagree.

Pence is closer to Trump than Romney and Haley but distanced himself enough from Trump in terms of trying to overturn the vote to present himself as the establishment candidate in 2024 (assuming Trump does not run again, in which case he would likely win the nomination again).
    That 21% is probably not so far from both his floor and ceiling.
    I don't think he'll be the nominee. VP gives you a great shot; ex VP to the most divisive President in our lifetimes, not so much.
  • Options

I'd say I'm on the left of the party but this is not imo a massive loss.
    OTOH, here is an excellent piece from OJ warning against too much mushy centrism.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/04/keir-starmer-vision-labour-victory
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

PPP poll on 2016 Republican nomination, 31 January 2013-3 February 2013:

Marco Rubio 22%
    Paul Ryan 15%
    Jeb Bush 13%
    Chris Christie 13%
    Mike Huckabee 11%
    Rand Paul 10%
    Bobby Jindal 4%
    Rick Perry 3%
    Susana Martinez 1%

So it "looked like Marco Rubio will be GOP nominee" at this stage in that cycle. Trump wasn't even on the radar, and nor was Ted Cruz who came second, and nor indeed was John Kasich who was third in vote share (Rubio was third in delegates).

So these polls are all fine but are basically "who do you know who you can imagine being your party's candidate?" at this stage. And it's not unusual for the big name to come through - Biden did for the Democrats. But it doesn't really tell us a lot - of course it's easy to imagine someone who has just been VP for four years and appeared on the ballot paper just below Trump being the GOP candidate. Does it mean there's any depth or solidity to that support? No.
    That poll excluded Trump and Cruz and Kasich so is not really relevant as you state. As Rubio came 4th in 2016 it was also actually correct of the candidates included.

It was also a poll for a candidate after 8 years out of power, not to challenge an incumbent President or indeed even an incumbent VP.

Most candidates who challenge incumbent Presidents tend to be from the party establishment eg Biden, Romney, Kerry, Dole, Mondale etc so it is highly likely the GOP will pick an establishment candidate like Pence in 2024, assuming Trump does not run again in which case he would likely get it.
    The first polls that did specifically name Trump in that cycle had him at 3-4% (and that was much closer to the election). Same with Cruz. Even lower for Kasich.

Look, I'm not saying Pence isn't a credible potential candidate for GOP nomination in 2024. What I have a problem with is your bald assertion that, "At the moment it looks like Pence will be the GOP nominee, assuming Trump does not run again".

It does not. He's one of a wide range of credible runners.

I also don't think it sensible to say that the GOP picked an establishment candidate in 1996 and 2012 so will probably do it again (still less to take Democrat candidates of evidence of what the GOP will do). That totally misunderstands what has happened to the GOP in recent years. Additionally, Pence isn't the only "establishment" choice if the GOP do revert to a more normal pattern.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

OTOH, here is an excellent piece from OJ warning against too much mushy centrism.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/04/keir-starmer-vision-labour-victory
    Oh come on, Novara’s election coverage was pure comedy gold.

What was especially striking was how bewildered and upset all of them were. They just didn’t have a clue.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,933

White over-80s are almost twice as likely to have had the coronavirus vaccine than elderly black Britons, a report has found.

The research comes amid fears that Covid-19 vaccine refusal rates are highest among black, Asian and ethnic minority (BAME) Britons.

Figures showed that 48 per cent of black Britons, a total of 5,012, over-80 in England had their first dose by January 27, compared to 82 per cent, 650,664, of white elderly Britons.

The data, collated by OpenSAFELY on behalf of NHS England, also revealed that 62 per cent of South Asian over-80s, 16,814, had received the Covid jab, followed by 59 per cent, 1,645, of elderly people of mixed ethnicity.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9227355/White-80s-TWICE-likely-jab-elderly-black-Britons-report-reveals.html

There’s some huge differences between ethnic groups, really hope that they can be persuaded that vaccination is a good thing for everyone.

I saw one video last week of MPs from various ethnic groups, all encouraging people to get jabbed, hopefully we can see more of the same.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    TimT said:

Are the NYT feeling ok?

Vaccines Could Blunt U.K. Epidemic in Weeks

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/02/04/world/europe/covid-vaccine-uk-rate.html

Still puts the lion's share of the credit on the NHS, not HMG, the researchers, or AZN, without whom there'd be nothing for the NHS to roll out. Don't get me wrong, the NHS' staff have been heroic, and their centralized systems (and particularly medical record keeping) are important factors in the success. But there is no way that the 1st three parties have a lesser share of the credit than the NHS.
    Yes it's been an all round great effort from scientists, to industry and the NHS roll out. The national register of willing trial participants seems to have played a huge role in securing the Novavax manufacturing partnership as well so that's been a other factor.

It's honestly a best in class example of public and private sector collaboration for the good of the nation.
  • Options
    Big fan of democracy, big fan.
    No, not that kind of democracy.

https://twitter.com/rosscolquhoun/status/1357626784192335873?s=21
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

I'd be surprised if it was Pence, the Trump faction won't forgive him for err... following the law regarding the ECV count.
    On that poll of GOP voters, taken after Pence followed the law on the ECV count, Pence is on 21% ie more than Trump Jr, Cruz and Hawley combined so I disagree.

Pence is closer to Trump than Romney and Haley but distanced himself enough from Trump in terms of trying to overturn the vote to present himself as the establishment candidate in 2024 (assuming Trump does not run again, in which case he would likely win the nomination again).
    That 21% is probably not so far from both his floor and ceiling.
    I don't think he'll be the nominee. VP gives you a great shot; ex VP to the most divisive President in our lifetimes, not so much.
    If Pence does not get it he will lose it to someone further to the populist right eg Trump himself or Trump Jnr or Cruz.

Pence will be the main moderate candidate for the GOP nomination in 2024 most likely
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    The weirdest thing to me is that at current rates, we might conceivably jab ALL ADULTS by the middle of May, first dose.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

What was especially striking was how bewildered and upset all of them were. They just didn’t have a clue.
    https://novaramedia.com/2019/12/13/electionsesh2019/

30 minutes and 55 seconds in

you can actually pinpoint the exact moment when their heart rips in half
  • Options

Big fan of democracy, big fan.
    No, not that kind of democracy.

https://twitter.com/rosscolquhoun/status/1357626784192335873?s=21

Scotland can elect their Parliament to run Scottish domestic policy, however the future of the Union will remain reserved to the UK government
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    The weirdest thing to me is that at current rates, we might conceivably jab ALL ADULTS by the middle of May, first dose.

Yes, though it does depend on being able to effectively double capacity from April as we'll need to do first and second doses simultaneously. We should be able to as in April we're due Moderna and Novavax deliveries in reasonably decent volume, around 2.5-3m per week in addition to whatever we get from AZ and Pfizer which will be used for second doses by then.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,534
    Sandpit said:

There’s some huge differences between ethnic groups, really hope that they can be persuaded that vaccination is a good thing for everyone.

I saw one video last week of MPs from various ethnic groups, all encouraging people to get jabbed, hopefully we can see more of the same.
    The vaccine passport thing will be err... interesting.

Denying people flights would be one thing.

What if the implementation is, say, time limited (changes every 3o seconds) QR codes on your smartphone. Simple bit of crypto work, really. So anyone can validate the you have had the vaccination (without getting any of your personal information), by checkin the QR code against the validating site. Trivial little app to write.

So anyone can prove they had the vaccination and anyone can check it.

Lovely.

Then Sainsbury's says - no vaccination, no entry. The pub....
  • Options

Forty cross-party MPs and peers have urged the University of Huddersfield to close a master’s course it runs at the Royal Academy of Policing in Bahrain, after allegations that political dissidents were being tortured in the same building.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/feb/05/huddersfield-universitys-bahrain-degree-providing-torture-hub-with-legitimacy

Prince Charming...

...Huddersfield will not say how much it is being paid for the course, which was inaugurated by Prince Andrew in April 2018 when he was the university’s chancellor. ...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Alistair said:

A real problem for your "global priority" crusade: what do you say if, as an example, China decides that rather than vaccinate the Uighurs it'll buy a couple more small African countries not already in its portfolio with the vaccines instead? Easy for me: I say there's a moral imperative to look after your own before you look after others. What do you say, that doesn't license countries less nice than us to leave their own poor and disadvantaged without state protection?
    It's clever, Ishmael, but I escape thus. The need to channel vaccines to where the Covid need is greatest there bumps up against the need to keep racial (or religious) discrimination entirely out of it. And the latter prevails.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

What if the implementation is, say, time limited (changes every 3o seconds) QR codes on your smartphone. Simple bit of crypto work, really. So anyone can validate the you have had the vaccination (without getting any of your personal information), by checkin the QR code against the validating site. Trivial little app to write.

Lovely.

So it would basically force everyone who can have to get it whether they like it or not?

Not seeing the downside here...
  • Options

One might equally ask how long before Littlejohn joins the BNP.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

In effect. No smartphone, no pub or shop too.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

So it would basically force everyone who can have to get it whether they like it or not?

You can't see the slight problem in, in effect, having a sign outside the pub that says "No x here"?

Because that is how it will be seen.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrEHFk9g1gM
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

One might equally ask how long before Littlejohn joins the BNP.
    They don't have a Florida branch.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited February 2021
    Cricket News

BT Sport have picked up the rights to international cricket in New Zealand and The West Indies for the next few years, so England tours of those countries in the next few years will air BT Sport, starting with England's tour of the Windies next year.

https://advanced-television.com/2021/02/05/bt-sport-to-air-england-cricket-from-west-indies-and-nz/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-9228081/BT-Sport-sign-multi-year-deal-Englands-tours-West-Indies-New-Zealand.html
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Prince Charming...

...Huddersfield will not say how much it is being paid for the course, which was inaugurated by Prince Andrew in April 2018 when he was the university’s chancellor. ...
    ‘You want me to inaugurate a course in the building where dissidents are tortured? No sweat.’
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

Tbh, we should insist on it by the autumn for all over 18s. Hospitality could use it to eliminate indoor social distancing.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

You can't see the slight problem in, in effect, having a sign outside the pub that says "No x here"?

See my Gattaca reference in the post immediately after yours ...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Alistair said:

It's clever, Ishmael, but I escape thus. The need to channel vaccines to where the Covid need is greatest there bumps up against the need to keep racial (or religious) discrimination entirely out of it. And the latter prevails.
    Leaving the ball entirely in the Chineses court to determine where the need (on medical grounds only, honest!) is greater.
  • Options

Cricket News

BT Sport have picked up the rights to international cricket in New Zealand and The West Indies for the next few years, so England tours of those countries in the next few years will air BT Sport, starting with England's tour of the Windies next year.

https://advanced-television.com/2021/02/05/bt-sport-to-air-england-cricket-from-west-indies-and-nz/

Have Sky Sports given up on Test cricket?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Alistair said:

Your jab won't be heading off to some 85 year old in Manaus that needs it, it'll go into the bin. And you'll have set back both the UK's and the world's herd immunity efforts.
    Hang on a sec. I'm only one person so it will be a tiny near zero impact on the big picture. This set against a really quite considerable accrual of gravitas and a slam dunk rebuttal to people saying to me "You get yourself sorted and then seek to deny other Brits. You utterly repulsive hypocrite!"

That's the trade off here.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Biden did not seek a second term, at what point would he (realistically) need to confirm it? Presumably some time before the Jan 2024 Iowa caucuses? Just trying to understand how long I'd be locking up money in a lay Biden bet.

If he is sensible he would not confirm he was not seeking re election until autumn 2023, otherwise he would be a lame duck and that seems to be the strategy he is pursuing.
    It will be incredibly difficult, if not impossible, for him to leave it that long.

Other Democrats will be looking to form exploratory committees, raise funds, and get out there in the early states. The pressure from his deputy and presumed preferred successor will be immense as that happens, because she will be tied until he formalises the position.

My bet would be an announcement on 20th November, 2022. That would follow the midterms and be his 80th birthday.

If those midterms go badly for the Democrats, Biden is a lame duck anyway - his domestic agenda is over. If they go well then Harris is probably unbeatable in the primaries and can take charge of the domestic agenda two years early.
    It will certainly not be as early as November 2022, that would leave Biden a lame duck for the second half of his term and he is too shrewd to allow that.

The first primaries and caucuses are not until January 2024, plenty of time to announce in autumn 2023.

I'd be happy to have a side bet with you, HYFUD.

Say even money, with you saying Biden announces nearer to his 81st birthday, and I nearer to his 80th? It's probably a broadly fair bet. I see your argument but think he's either a lame duck anyway after the midterms, or he'll be under immense pressure from his VP to p1ss or get off the pot before rivals get a jump on her.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited February 2021

Cricket News

No, they've got England's home series locked up as well at the ICC tournaments for the foreseeable future, I suspect since Sky have wholesaled BT Sport they aren't that fussed if BT get the rights.

Sky's big thing is keeping the Premier League rights, the tender for the 2022/25 seasons is out and bids should be finalised soon.

Now that Comcast are in charge, they aren't following Rupert Murdoch's bid for everything strategy.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Alistair said:

No, we’ll just assume you’re trying to find virtue signalling ways to wriggle out of having your vaccine.

Like a small child saying it thought the dog wanted that broccoli. :smile:
    :smile: - That's very good.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited February 2021
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Alistair said:

Hang on a sec. I'm only one person so it will be a tiny near zero impact on the big picture. This set against a really quite considerable accrual of gravitas and a slam dunk rebuttal to people saying to me "You get yourself sorted and then seek to deny other Brits. You utterly repulsive hypocrite!"

If you tell us you refused the vaccine, we'll switch to accusing you of selfishness for not contributing to herd immunity in your local area.

I don't think you can win here, because I think you're as wrong as Professor Wrong, Chief of Wrongness studies at Wrong University.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Say even money, with you saying Biden announces nearer to his 81st birthday, and I nearer to his 80th? It's probably a broadly fair bet. I see your argument but think he's either a lame duck anyway after the midterms, or he'll be under immense pressure from his VP to p1ss or get off the pot before rivals get a jump on her.
    As I think the GOP will retake the House in 2022 and Biden might then decide to run for re election as the stronger candidate than Harris, I am afraid I will not be betting on that at present.
  • Options
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

See my Gattaca reference in the post immediately after yours ...
    NIce.

My point is how it will be taken to court, I reckon.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

They really can’t make it phone-based for the oldies, a huge number of them don’t have modern smartphones. Would losing your phone on holiday mean you couldn’t fly back?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Better than last week's "could be better, could be worse" at least.

I take it that fall in R is actually very good news, all things considered?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    MrEd said:

Thanks for the article Mike. I tend to agree with you that JB will not be the candidate in the 2024 election. As far as the Democrats go, he has done his job, namely to get DJT out of office. As far as he is concerned, he's probably also done what he wanted to do - namely to be added to the list of Presidents (I'd argue a desire to protect his son may also have played a part but I know that's a very minority view).

Re the use of Executive Orders, I'd be wary of assuming that suggests a new found radicalism. EOs have a great advantage for someone like Biden who is a moderate facing progressive pressure - it gets him kudos for meeting the demands of the progressive wing but in the knowledge that many of the EOs are likely to be reversed at some point and / or overturned in the courts. It's an easy way of saying "look, I tried", useful when you don't have the excuse of a House controlled by your opponents to justify not taking action.

Re his successor, I really think the Democrat nomination is Harris' to lose. I just don't see how the current Democratic party is going to overlook a Black woman as nominee, especially against a white guy (even if he is gay). The only ways I could see her not being the nominee, bar Biden not standing again, is (a) she doesn't want it, and nothing either in her career or current actions suggest a hesitancy of going after office (and destiny) or (b) she does a Spiro Agnew and is forced to go. I'd put more money on (b) than (a).

Interesting thoughts. But Joe only wanted to be president so he could be president and his single possible higher motive was to protect his son from jail? C'mon, Ed, that is so jaundiced. Great start he's made for me. Terrific news today, for example, distancing the US from the Saudi pulverizing of Yemen.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735

Cricket News

No, they've got England's home series locked up as well at the ICC tournaments for the foreseeable future, I suspect since Sky have wholesaled BT Sport they aren't that fussed.

Sky's big thing is keeping the Premier League rights, the tender for the 2022/25 seasons is out and bids should be finalised soon.

Now that Comcast are in charge, they aren't following Rupert Murdoch's bid for everything strategy.
    I also suspect that Sky have moved towards keeping share rather than gaining share. The number of people that don't already have Sky, but would start for the NZ away tour must be single figures, but they have frequent enough cricket that anyone with Sky already isn't likely to get rid of it at this point because they don't have that tour.
  • Options

Cricket News

No, they've got England's home series locked up as well at the ICC tournaments for the foreseeable future, I suspect since Sky have wholesaled BT Sport they aren't that fussed.

I hope Sky get The Ashes back.

Not that bothered with the Kiwi series, I'd rather it be on Sky though the timezone difference is even worse for them, but The Ashes is the big one.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,975

A fall in 'R' means cases are reducing more quickly as a proportion than before - so the decrease might look linear for a bit.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

https://novaramedia.com/2019/12/13/electionsesh2019/

30 minutes and 55 seconds in

you can actually pinpoint the exact moment when their heart rips in half
    Some other good moments:

2:47.00 when the presenter’s partner nails the problem, and Ellie May O’Hagen, somebody so wealthy she can play at being a journalist despite being unpaid, says she’s not posh;

6:17 when they gloat over Swinson’s defeat and are then poleaxed when Pidcock loses.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-vaccines-partnership-to-rapidly-respond-to-new-virus-variants

"Almost all vaccines developed through this partnership against new Covid-19 strains will be variants of an existing jab by CureVac which is currently undergoing Phase 3 clinical trials, meaning it should be possible to accelerate clinical trials ahead of submission to the regulator for approval. The UK will use its partnership with CureVac to boost the UK’s capacity to develop and manufacture variant vaccines in the UK, strengthening our domestic capabilities."

Confirms domestic manufacturing for the CureVac deal, along with the GSK rights purchase this now becomes an all-domestic mRNA vaccine.

Honestly, I'm shocked at the competency with which this is being carried out.

One might almost call it ... world-beating :smile:
    Short of thermonuclear war, these ahh.. ha ha... 'contagions' are the greatest danger we face in future. Especially if the Chinese keep creating them.
    A major sector, the hospitality and travel sector are massively vulnerable to virus attack.

Certainly more dangerous than so called and non existent man made global warming.
    Surely it's fanciful dangers are now assuredly put in perspective. Our effort must be on these wider medical matters.

Allied to these real dangers should be the return of 'strategic reserves' and strategic industries, plus the willingness of the public to accept the relatively low cost of local self sufficiency - invent, develop, build, make and grow at home. The cost being real monetary cost and the cost of, well - 'inconvenience', the possible lack of ideal alternatives.

Globalism has been a neat buzzword, but this pandemic has struck at the heart at the cosy notion (going back at least as far as Blair) of parking our NEETs out of the way whilst we import cheap labour and products for the rest of us.

As it is, out latent inventiveness, enterprise, determination and good old quick feet have exposed the dead hand of international institutionalised beauracracy.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Cricket News

They're trying to make savings in the content budget, but because of pressure from online streaming the price of content has gone up significantly. I've spoken to people from Disney who are laughing their arses off about Comcast buying Sky becuase of Sky's huge reliance on external content providers including Disney/Fox and WB who are looking at whether to release their own streaming product in Europe because they need to a distribution channel for movies.

I do wonder whether they will eventually be allowed to have the PL monopoly again now that we're out of the EU.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

They really can’t make it phone-based for the oldies, a huge number of them don’t have modern smartphones.
    That aspect is just the technology - there is always a fix for that.

The point I was trying to make, is that it is quite possible, easy even, to democratise and distribute validation of vaccination status. So any business, no matter how tiny, could choose to block customers.....

Could block customers....
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085

MattW said:

Charles said:

Better late than never.....

https://twitter.com/nickgutteridge/status/1357619670224928769?s=20

Wonder if we'll ever get to the bottom of the claim that it was a Member State that asked for Article 16 to be triggered?

No - what she is saying is “it was someone else’s mistake. Of course I’m saying I’ll take responsibility but I’m going to make sure everyone thinks it was Gallina (regardless of whether it actually was)”
    Correct.

She's bullshitting and misdirecting again.

She is mentioning 5 days for EU members to approve contracts, and a couple of weeks extra to get EHRA approval through.

The things that will kill EU Citizens are the 4-5 months the EU was behind in investing in vaccines and doing the early work in getting supply infrastructure in place from March to August 2020, and the decision to focus on buying a scarce resource rather than helping create it earlier. The irrecoverable part of that delay is now going on the critical path of EU rollout building up and finishing.

65% of EU Covid deaths have been since November 2020 to now, and that is without full new variant impact. Given that they are (in their optimistic target) talking about 70% vaccine by the autumn, starting in a bigger way in April, I do not see how that is going to slow down too much.

Current COVID death run rate in the EU is 100k per month. Tragedy unfolding, and even all UK excess vaccine supplies (which are fewer than I thought they were) would not scratch the surface.
    On the last point - the UK vaccine capacity. It is worth noting in the discussions about helping other countries etc, that we are not building the billion dose a year level industry here in this country.

India is implementing a plan (in association with COVAX) to produce multiple billions of doses per year.
    The Serum Institute of India is quite some outfit.
    In my experience they are a PIA to deal with as a supplier!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

They really can’t make it phone-based for the oldies, a huge number of them don’t have modern smartphones. Would losing your phone on holiday mean you couldn’t fly back?
    I travel to Africa a fair bit and my vaccination 'passport' is a yellow bit of card I pin to the back of my passport.
    No more than that please

• Options

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

Well, no, because they can resolve it by GETTING THE FRICKING VACCINE. It’s not like a racial characteristic where you can’t change it, is it?

It’s no different from saying ‘must be wearing clothes.’ If you want to come in, put a shirt on.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Alistair said:

It's true. I mean, we'll still be able to judge you entirely wrong, shun you for refusing to assist the collective immunity of your fellow citizens, and gently rib you for your self-inflicted martyrdom, but we won't be able to call you a hypocrite.

That'll be a big win for you :wink:
  • Options
    I also think you'd have severe ructions and unrest if they introduce a vaccine passport when only a certain % of the population is vaccinated, based mostly on age, and places/businesses start denying entry to non-vaccinated people.

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    MaxPB said:

Honestly, I'm shocked at the competency with which this is being carried out.

I'm not sure it will. Our government has always been fairly competent at things involving no-expense-spared all-in mass mobilisation, from the world wars and rationing to this pandemic. That is particularly the case where there is an obvious precedent, like the annual flu shots.

It usually falls down on more complex projects involving areas with shades of grey, which involve new thinking or tech and where there is significant opposition, like building a new train line or designing an ID cards system or track and trace (don't forget we STILL don't have an effective contact tracing system in place, a YEAR after Taiwan did).

So I doubt this will be some kind of new dawn for HMG, unfortunately.

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,562
    edited February 2021
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

I agree. And I expect her to be President by one of those years - she's genuinely charismatic and appealing. And by 2032 or 2036, you can bet that she will have moderated some of what many perceive as her current excesses; she is very ambitious.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As I think the GOP will retake the House in 2022 and Biden might then decide to run for re election as the stronger candidate than Harris, I am afraid I will not be betting on that at present.

Okay - so alternative bet, the same except it's void if Biden runs again - so I win if he announces he WON'T stand nearer to his 80th birthday, you if he announces he WON'T stand nearer to his 81st birthday, and neither of us if he announces he will stand at any time.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

They really can’t make it phone-based for the oldies, a huge number of them don’t have modern smartphones.

The point I was trying to make, is that it is quite possible, easy even, to democratise and distribute validation of vaccination status. So any business, no matter how tiny, could choose to block customers.....

Who have chosen not to have the vaccine for a highly dangerous illness that is both infectious and contagious.

Why should they or their medically exempt customers be put at risk because of the selfishness of others?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Cricket News

They're trying to make savings in the content budget, but because of pressure from online streaming the price of content has gone up significantly. I've spoken to people from Disney who are laughing their arses off about Comcast buying Sky becuase of Sky's huge reliance on external content providers
    includingg Disney/Fox and WB who are looking at whether to release their own streaming product in Europe because they need to a distribution channel for movies.

I do wonder whether they will eventually be allowed to have the PL monopoly again now that we're out of the EU.
    The monopoly thing was an EU thing but OFCOM and the PL have an agreement to sell to more than one broadcaster.

The PL won't go back to a monopoly broadcaster, they've earned more since, although the domestic broadcaster deals did drop in the recent rights deal.

Sky are under huge pressure right now, the other aspect people forget is Sky Movies generally premiere a big movie once a week 9 months after it debuts at the cinema, they probably won't have much new content on Sky Movies in 2021.

Now, you can watch Disney+, Amazon Prime, and Netflix on a Sky Q, the latter intrigues me, before it became part of Sky On Demand I was paying £9.99 a month, when I added it Sky On Demand, my bill went up £2, so I made a net saving of £8 a month.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

Well, no, because they can resolve it by GETTING THE FRICKING VACCINE. It’s not like a racial characteristic where you can’t change it, is it?

It’s no different from saying ‘must be wearing clothes.’ If you want to come in, put a shirt on.
    No shoes, no shirt, no jab, no service.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

Totally agree. No one is being excluded becuase they are Asian or black, they are being excluded because they've chosen to be dickheads and not take the vaccine.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Cricket News

They're trying to make savings in the content budget, but because of pressure from online streaming the price of content has gone up significantly. I've spoken to people from Disney who are laughing their arses off about Comcast buying Sky becuase of Sky's huge reliance on external content providers including Disney/Fox and WB who are looking at whether to release their own streaming product in Europe because they need to a distribution channel for movies.

I really hope so. I'm tempted to write to my MP about that, it really is irksome.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

A fall in 'R' means cases are reducing more quickly as a proportion than before - so the decrease might look linear for a bit.
    It's worth noting that hospitalisation R has been in this range for a while -

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Okay - so alternative bet, the same except it's void if Biden runs again - so I win if he announces he WON'T stand nearer to his 80th birthday, you if he announces he WON'T stand nearer to his 81st birthday, and neither of us if he announces he will stand at any time.
    A small one
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

Totally agree. No one is being excluded becuase they are Asian or black, they are being excluded because they've chosen to be dickheads and not take the vaccine.
    Is it possible that, under human rights law as it currently stands, that doesn’t matter, and that blocking unvaccinated people is indirectly racist becuase black and Asian people are less likely to be vaccinated?

Obviously not my view, but have seen similar silly arguments put forward in human rights cases previously.
  • Options

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

I agree. And I expect her to be President by one of those years - she's genuinely charismatic and appealing. And by 2032 or 2036, you can bet that she will have moderated some of what many perceive as her current excesses; she is very ambitious.
    She is the US Corbyn, just a more telegenic one
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited February 2021
    Disney have to been in prime position to screw Sky....they bought the streaming tech company that ran MLB streaming, they own ESPN, so know how to do the right deals for sports, how to cover it and now has the tech to stream it.

As we see with Amazon sports coverage, at the moment they don't really have the expertise to give a good experience, despite having the tech. I presume that is one reason why Netflix has stayed clear for now.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Cricket News

They're trying to make savings in the content budget, but because of pressure from online streaming the price of content has gone up significantly. I've spoken to people from Disney who are laughing their arses off about Comcast buying Sky becuase of Sky's huge reliance on external content providers
    includingg Disney/Fox and WB who are looking at whether to release their own streaming product in Europe because they need to a distribution channel for movies.

The monopoly thing was an EU thing but OFCOM and the PL have an agreement to sell to more than one broadcaster.

The PL won't go back to a monopoly broadcaster, they've earned more since, although the domestic broadcaster deals did drop in the recent rights deal.

Sky are under huge pressure right now, the other aspect people forget is Sky Movies generally premiere a big movie once a week 9 months after it debuts at the cinema, they probably won't have much new content on Sky Movies in 2021.

Now, you can watch Disney+, Amazon Prime, and Netflix on a Sky Q, the latter intrigues me, before it became part of Sky On Demand I was paying £9.99 a month, when I added it Sky On Demand, my bill went up £2, so I made a net saving of £8 a month.
    Yeah, Comcast are taking a massive bath on Netflix subscriptions in order to stay relevant to young people who get their media from streaming. I've done the same as well, with my 4k Sky subscription I get Netflix basically for free, hoping they add D+ as well now that it has Star. Doubt they could do Prime though.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

Who have chosen not to have the vaccine for a highly dangerous illness that is both infectious and contagious.

Why should they or their medically exempt customers be put at risk because of the selfishness of others?
    I don't think that blocking people from doing things because of not being vaccinated is a problem.

There will be a vocal group who will disagree and will try and get their view upheld in the courts.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

Before I have to go back to work, I’ll say here and now I believe people have the right to make choices, on pretty well anything.

But that comes with the freedom to take the consequences.

You want to do no work? Fine. Live with the consequence of no money.

You want to be an arsehole to everyone you meet? Fine. Accept nobody will want to talk to you.

You want to refuse a vaccine for a virus that’s cratered the world economy? Fine. Accept you will be in permanent lockdown as a result.

And if you don’t want to take those consequences - make different choices!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Cricket News

Black Friday I switched my Netflix to Sky, added on Movies and Sport, and saw my overall bill go down rather than up.

The integration of Disney+, Prime and Netflix on Sky Q is really good. The only shame so far is Sky's own search function searches Sky and Netflix, but doesn't search Disney+ or Prime, you have to go into those apps to search manually. Be good if they were all as integrated as Netflix is.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

No shoes, no shirt, no jab, no service.
    No shoes, no shirt, no jab (afaik), no masks, plenty of service and a pat on their shiny big heads.

https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/1357368509135810561?s=20
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,040

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

I travel to Africa a fair bit and my vaccination 'passport' is a yellow bit of card I pin to the back of my passport.
    No more than that please

I and most of my friends have smartphones. Need them to talk to the grandchildren! And I suggest that those who travel abroad are among the more likely to have.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Alistair said:

It's true. I mean, we'll still be able to judge you entirely wrong, shun you for refusing to assist the collective immunity of your fellow citizens, and gently rib you for your self-inflicted martyrdom, but we won't be able to call you a hypocrite.

That'll be a big win for you :wink:
    That's fine. It's the hypocrite badge I seek to bin. Free of that, I'm confident I can win the argument from both the ethics and pragmatism angle.

Even better, I might have the jab but under duress from you guys. That places me beyond reproach and in an impeccable position.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Biden will surely run in the Democratic primaries.

This is because I don't believe this statement of OGH's : "This is going to take its toll on him and he surely knows it." Being POTUS is as much or as little work as you care to make it (as the previous incumbent clearly demonstrated).

Whether Biden can win a second set of Democratic primaries is very unclear.

He won previously as a compromise candidate in a very unusual set of circumstances. No-one was really FOR Biden.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

Is it possible that, under human rights law as it currently stands, that doesn’t matter, and that blocking unvaccinated people is indirectly racist becuase black and Asian people are less likely to be vaccinated?

Obviously not my view, but have seen similar silly arguments put forward in human rights cases previously.
    Then rewrite the legislation. I'm Asian and intend to take the vaccine as soon as it is offered to me, my parents have both had it, all of my family members are taking it as soon as they have it offered. We will be free to go to any place which places restrictions on vaccines being necessary.

Stupidity isn't a protected characteristic under legislation.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Lovely.

Before I have to go back to work, I’ll say here and now I believe people have the right to make choices, on pretty well anything.

But that comes with the freedom to take the consequences.

You want to do no work? Fine. Live with the consequence of no money.

You want to be an arsehole to everyone you meet? Fine. Accept nobody will want to talk to you.

You want to refuse a vaccine for a virus that’s cratered the world economy? Fine. Accept you will be in permanent lockdown as a result.

And if you don’t want to take those consequences - make different choices!
    But if you have a medical reason why you cannot take the vaccine, and you are barred from all social activities because you don't have a vaccination card ...?
This discussion has been closed.