Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited February 2021 in General
Undefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    edited February 2021
    First?

I agree. Too old, too slow and likely to be overwhelmed dealing with sequelae of Covid.
  • Options
    FPT - Dysons are crap; a triumph of marketing over common sense. There's only one really good vacuum cleaner: a Henry.

There's a reason why you always see professional cleaners with a Henry.
  • Options
    Agree with OGH - I'm sure Biden will be happy enough with his one term compared to his predecessor's....

FPT: I've found my iRobot Roomba good if noisy - does under things I never seem to quite reach!
  • Options
    With Stokes, Pope and Buttler still to come England are getting into quite a useful position in the Test. Pitch seems to be offering very little for the bowlers.
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178
    Dysons, arent very flexible
  • Options
    Better late than never.....

https://twitter.com/nickgutteridge/status/1357619670224928769?s=20

Wonder if we'll ever get to the bottom of the claim that it was a Member State that asked for Article 16 to be triggered?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

First?

I agree. Too old, too slow and likely to be overwhelmed dealing with sequelae of Covid.

Biden "too slow" - DavidL
    Biden "operating a break neck speed" - M Smithson
  • Options
    Self-driving cars.

The very first thing the Government (any government) will do upon them being commercially available is ban any owner or driver from using them - even as a 100% passenger - whilst under the influence. There will be an incident sooner or later that's ambiguous on the face of it, even though it isn't, which will generate a tabloid headline, and that will be that.

They will therefore kill off the main rationale for them for many people - i.e. as a personal taxi to support rural pubs and restaurants, and go out with friends.

You're welcome.
  • Options
    The worst thing about the pandemic is that I've been forced to hoover for the first time in over a decade.

I miss my cleaner.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Agree with Mike, Biden may well not be nominated again.

He's not only old, he's also not very good - he's getting a very easy ride at the moment from the centrist and liberal media because Trump was such a catastrophe. But few are enthusiastic about him personally, and not just because he's the ultimate Swamp guy.

On whether the US is more divided now than it has been since the Civil War, I actually think it was more polarised in the late 60s and early 70s than it is now, but that's a matter of opinion.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

With Stokes, Pope and Buttler still to come England are getting into quite a useful position in the Test. Pitch seems to be offering very little for the bowlers.

I think England will struggle to get 20 wickets.
  • Options

The worst thing about the pandemic is that I've been forced to hoover for the first time in over a decade.

I miss my cleaner.

The horror....the absolute horror...
  • Options

DavidL said:

First?

There's a bit of a difference between Executive Orders making good some of Trump's stupidity in the first week or so and the hard grind of 4 years in a very difficult situation. I'd like to see some "break neck speed" in rolling out the vaccine for those many Americans who don't have health insurance, for example. But I am not holding my breath.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158

FPT - Dysons are crap; a triumph of marketing over common sense. There's only one really good vacuum cleaner: a Henry.

I know. They are great. And I have one. But I also want a cordless one for a quick hoover rather than the full proper clean.

My new soon-to-be home (God, Covid and the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse willing) is all hard floors and we have pets so want something that I can just whip out for a quick clean.
  • Options
    And me - even before you I think.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855

Self-driving cars.

The very first thing the Government (any government) will do upon them being commercially available is ban any owner or driver from using them - even as a 100% passenger - whilst under the influence. There will be an incident sooner or later that's ambiguous on the face of it, even though it isn't, which will generate a tabloid headline, and that will be that.

They will therefore kill off the main rationale for them for many people - i.e. as a personal taxi to support rural pubs and restaurants, and go out with friends.

You're welcome.

The whole idea is to use SD cars as your personal taxi. It needs to take me to work, come back empty and pick up the kids and take them to school, take wife to lunch and bring her back, go empty to school to pick up the kids, take them home then pick me up from the pub next door from the office half an hour after happy hour finishes. Otherwise, what’s the point of it?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Self-driving cars.

You're welcome.

It wouldn't require legislation; drunk in charge is already drunk in charge.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    FPT
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Can I just say that automatic hoovers are the absolute pits. As are Dysons - really poorly designed and expensive for what they are.

Finding a decent vacuum cleaner for hard flooring which actually picks up the dirt is harder than it seems. Lots of models but in my experience they all fall apart after a bit. I've tried G-Tech: fell to bits. My Bosch is now playing silly buggers.

Ideally I'd like a cordless one for a quick clean (I have a Henry for a proper vacuum). I am currently doing research on the topic. Any tips gratefully received.

My robot roomba does hard floors just fine
    What about furniture? How does it move that or get under it or get into spaces into which it does not fit?
    It's a disc less than four inches high, so goes under stuff just fine. Because it's round it doesn't do corners, and there is the odd spot it can't make, so I need to get the regular hoover out now and again.

I also have the one that sweeps and mops, which is square, and much better at doing edges and corners.

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983

Self-driving cars.

You're welcome.

In Level 5 automation the biological lifeforms have no means of requesting control of the vehicle so they can be as drunk as lords and it'll make no difference.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    On topic

My cleaner brings her Henry with her. I also have a Henry which I have occasionally had to deploy in anger and it seems fine.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

DavidL said:

I think England will struggle to get 20 wickets.
    That's what I meant by reference to the pitch. But a couple of days in the field can make batting that bit harder.
  • Options
    I think it surely has to be Harris for the Democrats.

If the President doesn't get the nomination then the Veep almost inevitably does and Buttigieg won't be able to run as an outsider against her.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116

Wonder if we'll ever get to the bottom of the claim that it was a Member State that asked for Article 16 to be triggered?

Well, it was.

A colossal member getting into a giant state.
  • Options
    The problem is that, even if Starmer were to say that today, half of his own party would pile on, either saying it was just a gesture or going on about empire and slavery.
  • Options

I miss my cleaner.

I stopped having a cleaner when the children became old enough to clean their own rooms and help round the rest of the house. They are all quite good at it. I quite enjoy cleaning - but it is a Sisyphean task when you have dogs and cats. Hence the need for something that makes it easy.

• Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

gealbhan said:

felix said:

gealbhan said:

Good grief. The tone of the front pages. Seems a bit of a street party rush out of lockdown to me.

What do I know? I know you can have 2 jabs and still get COVID. I’m the right side of 50 to get one, but I don’t play for Chesterfield so I haven’t seen anything yet. So I am still feeling rather vulnerable to be honest.

When the whistle comes, and you go over the top to start walking slowly toward the enemy, I hope you don’t mind awfully if I just wait to see what happens to you?

A report in spain today of an OPH with 7 new cases of patients twice vaccinated. With another 6 staff asymptomatic unvaccinated. The dangers seem pretty obvious although be interesting to see more detail.
    It’s the OPH to watch for isn’t it as litmus test, one jabbed and two? When it got in before it ran through it, when it gets in now will it not run through it.

All eyes on the OPHs!
    Question is how many people were in the OPH? If there were anything between 50 and 100 people then 7 cases could well be correct for a vaccine of, say, 85% efficacy.

It would be interesting to get details on these OPH cases. How many occupants? How long since 1st and 2nd jabs? How severe were the symptoms? It could be that the vaccine has worked well enough to prevent severe symptoms even if they do still get a mild case.
    Exactly Richard. Does jab and double jab clearly make a difference in OPHs. There won’t be zero cases obviously, but the degree it made a difference we should see, and hope it’s palpable.

I think we are now on OPH watch. Fingers crossed everyone.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I miss my cleaner.

I stopped having a cleaner when the children became old enough to clean their own rooms and help round the rest of the house. They are all quite good at it. I quite enjoy cleaning - but it is a Sisyphean task when you have dogs and cats. Hence the need for something that makes it easy.

The roomba copes fine with my dog's fluff and hair, although having a dog does mean it needs more maintenance, clearing the hair out of the rotors and such.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

FPT

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Can I just say that automatic hoovers are the absolute pits. As are Dysons - really poorly designed and expensive for what they are.

Finding a decent vacuum cleaner for hard flooring which actually picks up the dirt is harder than it seems. Lots of models but in my experience they all fall apart after a bit. I've tried G-Tech: fell to bits. My Bosch is now playing silly buggers.

Ideally I'd like a cordless one for a quick clean (I have a Henry for a proper vacuum). I am currently doing research on the topic. Any tips gratefully received.

What about furniture? How does it move that or get under it or get into spaces into which it does not fit?
    It's a disc less than four inches high, so goes under stuff just fine. Because it's round it doesn't do corners, and there is the odd spot it can't make, so I need to get the regular hoover out now and again.

I also have the one that sweeps and mops, which is square, and much better at doing edges and corners.

Thanks.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,399
    Cyclefree said:

I know. They are great. And I have one. But I also want a cordless one for a quick hoover rather than the full proper clean.

My new soon-to-be home (God, Covid and the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse willing) is all hard floors and we have pets so want something that I can just whip out for a quick clean.
    We still use a sweeping brush on our hard floors. Quicker, as effective and environmentally friendly :smile:

Maybe more of an issue if you've got fine pet hairs that are just going to float about though...
  • Options

She really doesn’t want to have to answer that specific question, does she?
  • Options

I miss my cleaner.

Oh...the humanity....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    Poor old Carlotta and her pet food saleman , red faces yet again...........

Turns out flawed, misleading LSE paper claiming independent Scotland would be “poorer” was actually written by two PhD students.
    Two PHD students assisted by a manner of vote No . They also have admitted that their findings were based on limited figures available on Scotland’s actual finances !!! Pure mince in other words !
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Cyclefree said:

I'd suggest a mop rather than a hoover.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    malcolmg said:

Turns out flawed, misleading LSE paper claiming independent Scotland would be “poorer” was actually written by two PhD students.
    Two PHD students assisted by a manner of vote No . They also have admitted that their findings were based on limited figures available on Scotland’s actual finances !!! Pure mince in other words !

lol, was the article the other day subject to the same sort of forensic investigation? I think you should cite your sources in this case.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited February 2021

I miss my cleaner.

I know, things have gotten so bad on the cleaning and ironing front I might break the habit of a lifetime and accept my mother's suggestion of having an arranged marriage with someone she picks.

Thank God for vaccines.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

FPT

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Thanks.
    @Cyclefree Re: vacuum cleaners. Our floor cleaning professional (who can bore for England on the topic) will only recommend one brand: Sebo. We bought one off the back of that advice. It`s great. Built like a tank.
  • Options
    Some UK arrivals to pay for 10-day hotel quarantine....

Some....some....you mean I might end up paying towards some tits and teeth Instagram influencer who broke the covid rules to stay in a hotel upon their return?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,399
    Selebian said:

Cyclefree said:

We still use a sweeping brush on our hard floors. Quicker, as effective and environmentally friendly :smile:

Maybe more of an issue if you've got fine pet hairs that are just going to float about though...
    Of course, we also use a bucket from the water butt for a shower, cook over an open fire with coal from our garden pit and wash our sackcloth smocks in the brook. But then, that's Yorkshire for you.
  • Options
    The Roomba works well on tiled floors with rugs, it goes under most of the furniture and can be timed to go around daily. It’s also got a mop option, which works okay but you need to tell it not to go over the rugs with the mop. It’s also quieter than most traditional hoovers.

I’d love to know what cats think of them though, can’t imagine they’d be too pleased to see a foot-wide plastic disc running around the house!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I miss my cleaner.

If you've got dogs & cats I suspect a Roomba wouldn't be up to the job.....

• Options
    Sandpit said:

The Roomba works well on tiled floors with rugs, it goes under most of the furniture and can be timed to go around daily. It’s also got a mop option, which works okay but you need to tell it not to go over the rugs with the mop. It’s also quieter than most traditional hoovers.

I’d love to know what cats think of them though, can’t imagine they’d be too pleased to see a foot-wide plastic disc running around the house!

On Youtube there are a fair few videos of cats riding around on them. Whereas dogs tend to be more wary. I introduced mine to it when it was a puppy, and we went through a few times of his maniacally barking at it. Once he got used to it and realised it wasn't coming for him, now he ignores it or mostly stays out of its way.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    malcolmg said:

https://twitter.com/blairmcdougall/status/1357605954385231873
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    edited February 2021
    Dust if you must, but wouldn't it be better
    To paint a picture, or write a letter,
    Bake a cake, or plant a seed;
    Ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there's not much time,
    With rivers to swim, and mountains to climb;
    Music to hear, and books to read;
    Friends to cherish, and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world's out there
    With the sun in your eyes, and the wind in your hair;
    A flutter of snow, a shower of rain,
    This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind,
    Old age will come and it's not kind.
    And when you go (and go you must)
    You, yourself, will make more dust.

by Rose Milligan
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Funny how SNP commentators praised the LSE analysis that said "Brexit (15% of trade) will make Scotland poorer" but decry the analysis that says "Scexit (60% of trade) will make Scotland poorer". Cognitive dissonance, much?

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

FPT

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Thanks.
    I've had my entry-level one for nearly seven years. It does actually do the job - not just a gimmick - but the time spent hoovering is replaced by time moving cables out of its way, unloading it, rescuing it, and cleaning it. But they're all more interesting jobs than hoovering the floor. The new top of the range versions claim to go back and empty themselves, and remember where they've been, but I'm not convinced the bells and whistles are worth the extra £4-500.

In seven years I have replaced the battery, replaced the filter and rotors, and otherwise it's been running fine. Over time it has a habit of wearing a line of paint off the skirting board where it bumps into it, which I touch up once in a blue moon.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

malcolmg said:

Funny how SNP commentators praised the LSE analysis that said "Brexit (15% of trade) will make Scotland poorer" but decry the analysis that says "Scexit (60% of trade) will make Scotland poorer". Cognitive dissonance, much?

Equally funny how Tories decried all the analysis that showed the economic damage from Brexit - now inexorably coming to pass - yet think they can persuade the Scots with a similar stream of economic threats.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The problem is that, even if Starmer were to say that today, half of his own party would pile on, either saying it was just a gesture or going on about empire and slavery.
    But parties always have loony fringes. What matters is what the leadership does and says. I have seen nothing at the moment to make me think Starmer is not serious about his patriotism any less than Attlee was.

The problem today of course lies not so much with the politicians but with the press, who will quite happily report the dissenting voice and the trouble maker as the mainstream just to make news. Journalists have indeed stopped reporting news and now only seem interested in crafting news to suit their own need for sensationalism and discord.
  • Options
    What is going on with the Scottish Crown Office? First Rangers, now this....

https://twitter.com/ChrisMcEleny/status/1357464173152792578?s=20
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715

I miss my cleaner.

I know, things have gotten so bad on the cleaning and ironing front I might break the habit of a lifetime and accept my mother's suggestion of having an arranged marriage with someone she picks.

Thank God for vaccines.
    Not sure if this is true but a friend of a friend, who is Nepalese, viewed a line up of girls, none of which he had met before, and could choose. Apparently, he was allowed to "try before you buy".

Just saying.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

In six months time even the 1% of the population who knows what article 16 refers to will have moved on. By then we'll then be focusing on the aftermath. How each European state dealt with the crisis and how many deaths per million each country suffered.

As this site is in the prediction business I would expect this to be the moment the clamour for Johnson's resignation began in earnest.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Roger said:

In six months time even the 1% of the population who knows what article 16 refers to will have moved on. By then we'll then be focusing on the aftermath. How each European state dealt with the crisis and how many deaths per million each country suffered.

As this site is in the prediction business I would expect this to be the moment the clamour for Johnson's resignation began in earnest.
    You say that as if people are oblivious as to what the figures are at the moment. They are constantly talked about in the media.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

by Rose Milligan

Nice, but I can't help feeling it should be "round again" rather than "around". Seem to have an excess syllable.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

Equally funny how Tories decried all the analysis that showed the economic damage from Brexit - now inexorably coming to pass - yet think they can persuade the Scots with a similar stream of economic threats.
    Yes, Gove's line that it will be like Brexit but even worse is probably not what he should have said out loud.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Cyclefree said:

Of course, we also use a bucket from the water butt for a shower, cook over an open fire with coal from our garden pit and wash our sackcloth smocks in the brook. But then, that's Yorkshire for you.
    Water? You're lucky. In Staffordshire we have to use cold gravel to wash ourselves.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Self-driving cars.

You're welcome.

But that is a lesser offence than the actual act of driving under the influence. Drunk in Charge , if I recall correctly, doesn’t have the mandatory 1year ban and can instead be punished with 11 penalty points. (Again this is from memory)

So the question of how the law would define using a self driving car while pissed is still a legitimate one, surely?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

On Youtube there are a fair few videos of cats riding around on them. Whereas dogs tend to be more wary. I introduced mine to it when it was a puppy, and we went through a few times of his maniacally barking at it. Once he got used to it and realised it wasn't coming for him, now he ignores it or mostly stays out of its way.
    There is the story of someone who went out, during which time his dog had an anxiety crap and he came home to find that the Roomba had smeared said crap all around the house...
  • Options
    Roger said:

In 6 months time lets see how the relative vaccination rates have fared.
  • Options

Not to mention the ill conceived prosecutions of journalists for contempt of court. One already thrown out, one waiting for a decision. It really is extraordinary.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,249
    ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Cyclefree said:

Water? You're lucky. In Staffordshire we have to use cold gravel to wash ourselves.
    You had gravel.

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuxxxxxxxxuuuuuuuury!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Self-driving cars.

You're welcome.

The whole idea is to use SD cars as your personal taxi. It needs to take me to work, come back empty and pick up the kids and take them to school, take wife to lunch and bring her back, go empty to school to pick up the kids, take them home then pick me up from the pub next door from the office half an hour after happy hour finishes. Otherwise, what’s the point of it?
    Indeed.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Gadfly said:

by Rose Milligan

Nice, but I can't help feeling it should be "round again" rather than "around". Seem to have an excess syllable.
    Good point. This was a copy I had archived, but looking online, round and 'round are frequently used.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,951
    edited February 2021
    If Biden did run again he would be the oldest President ever to run for re election. However if his polling numbers still looked good and better than those for Harris then he might run again against likely GOP candidate, Trump's VP Pence. After all despite questions about his age in 1984 Reagan won a landslide victory against Carter's VP Mondale.

If he does not then it would likely be a battle between the Vice Presidents, Harris v Pence, the first time a current Vice President has faced a former Vice President in a Presidential election (assuming Trump does not run again if he is allowed to, in which case he would likely be the GOP nominee).

Buttigieg might also fancy his chances and run again as OGH suggests, as might Joe Kennedy III if he runs for and wins the Massachussetts governorship in 2022 against incumbent Republican Charlie Baker.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited February 2021

IshmaelZ said:

Self-driving cars.

You're welcome.

But that is a lesser offence than the actual act of driving under the influence. Drunk in Charge , if I recall correctly, doesn’t have the mandatory 1year ban and can instead be punished with 11 penalty points. (Again this is from memory)

So the question of how the law would define using a self driving car while pissed is still a legitimate one, surely?
    Anyone who thinks that being off your face in charge of a driverless car will be treated as anything other than the same as being off your face in a car they are driving, must be, er, off their face.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

DavidL said:

Gadfly said:

by Rose Milligan

Good point. This was a copy I had archived, but looking online, round and 'round are frequently used.
    It just juddered when I was reading it. Really good philosophy of life though which I completely agree with (despite not mentioning cricket).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Cyclefree said:

Wash? Please define this process.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

But parties always have loony fringes. What matters is what the leadership does and says. I have seen nothing at the moment to make me think Starmer is not serious about his patriotism any less than Attlee was.

The problem today of course lies not so much with the politicians but with the press, who will quite happily report the dissenting voice and the trouble maker as the mainstream just to make news. Journalists have indeed stopped reporting news and now only seem interested in crafting news to suit their own need for sensationalism and discord.
    Oh that’s definitely true. Personally I think SKS is pretty harmless, which makes him a thousand times better than his predecessor. I’m sure he actually welcomes rows about flags, because it shows to those in the centre that he’s taking on the Corbynites and pushing them back to the fringes.

I think you probably know my views on the UK media pretty well by now. They’ve simply lost sight of the nature of their profession.
  • Options
    Kasumu is basically saying that he has seen the Tory party from the inside and fears it is going the same way as Trump.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Self-driving cars.

You're welcome.

In Level 5 automation the biological lifeforms have no means of requesting control of the vehicle so they can be as drunk as lords and it'll make no difference.
    In Level 6 the automation might refuse instructions from biological lifeforms to take them out on the piss, and monitor their weekly unit intake up to the level recommended by the CMO.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Self-driving cars.

You're welcome.

Anyone who thinks that being off your face in charge of a driverless car will be treated as anything other than the same as being off your face in a car they are driving, must be, er, off their face.
    Would it? If cars can operate with no-one in, then thats no different to someone slumped in the back.Granted thats a big 'If'.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Kasumu is basically saying that he has seen the Tory party from the inside and fears it is going the same way as Trump.
    That's a bit of a stretch.
  • Options
    Quite a few Irish lorries off British roads:

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1357288850935197696?s=20
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Self-driving cars.

You're welcome.

The legal question will be whether you will actually have any control over it. If you don't, there's no problem. But more likely there'll be some emergency buttons to make it stop or swerve, which when drunk it might be tempting to have a play with....
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    You will have to bring your own biro or pencil though, masks will be compulsory if voting in person and sanitiser will be on hand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55938380
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Cyclefree said:

You had gravel.

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuxxxxxxxxuuuuuuuury!
    Old but good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

The gains made under David Cameron in 2015 have been eroded in subsequent elections. Though we now have a coalition of voters to provide us with a much coveted majority, I fear for what may become of the party in the future by choosing to pursue a politics steeped in division.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

IshmaelZ said:

Self-driving cars.

You're welcome.

It would define it as driving, certainly in any case where there was a manual override option, which there will be until skynet becomes self-aware.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

I have a brilliant one - from Lakeland. Mops then buffs up the floors.

Thanks for all the tips.

For the first time in my life I will have a proper - if small - utility room so have become a bit of an addict of websites like The Laundry Room and such like.

I know. I ought to get a life. When lockdown ends .....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Not to mention the ill conceived prosecutions of journalists for contempt of court. One already thrown out, one waiting for a decision. It really is extraordinary.
    Who, if anyone, can hold them to account?

The current Scottish government seems happy enough with their performance.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

The gains made under David Cameron in 2015 have been eroded in subsequent elections. Though we now have a coalition of voters to provide us with a much coveted majority, I fear for what may become of the party in the future by choosing to pursue a politics steeped in division.
    How'd you go from that to a hyperbolic comparison to Trump?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,830
    RobD said:

Roger said:

You say that as if people are oblivious as to what the figures are at the moment. They are constantly talked about in the media.
    So what you are really saying is that it doesn't really matter if euro leaders are crappy as long as people forget about it in 6 months?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Self-driving cars.

You're welcome.

The legal question will be whether you will actually have any control over it. If you don't, there's no problem. But more likely there'll be some emergency buttons to make it stop or swerve, which when drunk it might be tempting to have a play with....
    A study of the issues around liability and insurance for SD cars, would definitely make for a good PhD thesis.

All governments are going to have to deal with this in the coming years, and they either need to get ahead of the curve or have the industry write their own rules.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

I have a brilliant one - from Lakeland. Mops then buffs up the floors.

Thanks for all the tips.

For the first time in my life I will have a proper - if small - utility room so have become a bit of an addict of websites like The Laundry Room and such like.

I know. I ought to get a life. When lockdown ends .....
    We've just exchanged on our house just off Fortis Green and that's got a utility room, will be nice shunt the washing machine and all the cleaning junk into that rather than have it in the kitchen. We might even invest in a dryer at some point!
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Self-driving cars.

You're welcome.

Another big problem there is that at some point, you'll have drivers on the road who learned to drive on automated vehicles and don't actually have any experience worth relying on. Teaching them sufficient awareness to know what to do in an emergency is likely to be extremely difficult.

More generally, as others have said, automated vehicles are kind of an all-or-nothing deal. Fully automated with no human input is much simpler to implement than mostly automated. But it also means the tech has to be damn near perfect, which is an incredibly hard place to get to. Even if it could be proved to reduce accidents by (say) 50% on average, I think it would be very hard to get public opinion onside for it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390

DavidL said:

First?

Before writing off Biden's chances, we should remember that Mike was adamant from the beginning of the Democratic contest that Biden was too old to win.

Granted four years of the Presidency is pretty wearing even on a much younger person, but I am not yet assuming that he won't run again. If the Democrats hold the House and Senate at the midterms (& that's a not insignificant 'if'), I think he just might do so.
  • Options

Quite a few Irish lorries off British roads:

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1357288850935197696?s=20

Good news for British roads.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,929

Sandpit said:

Self-driving cars.

You're welcome.

Indeed.
    Now run the numbers on what that means for road usage. Sure, at off-peak some of those trips are possible, but you’ve at a minimum doubled road usage at peak times if the vehicle has to both drive to and from your place of work.

IOW, this personal utopia is not going to be possible if everyone does it. The "electric car as personal taxi" is an idea without a future - it will work for a while whilst it’s expensive and only a few people can afford it, but will rapidly become unworkable. Halving the passenger transport capacity of the existing road network is not going to go down well.

This self-driving car research groups know this perfectly well of course, that’s why internally the talk is all about either using them as mass taxi fleets, or (this was Tesla’s big idea at one point), letting you rent out your vehicle as a local taxi when you’re not using it. Google is trying the former; the latter seems unlikely to work to me; who wants to come back to their personal vehicle to find it full of someone else’s litter (or vomit...)?
  • Options
    No flags and not even an NHS lapel badge (which I see we now have to call "pins" because politicians can't be bothered to disguise the American origins of this practice).
  • Options
    Endillion said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Self-driving cars.

You're welcome.

Another big problem there is that at some point, you'll have drivers on the road who learned to drive on automated vehicles and don't actually have any experience worth relying on. Teaching them sufficient awareness to know what to do in an emergency is likely to be extremely difficult.

More generally, as others have said, automated vehicles are kind of an all-or-nothing deal. Fully automated with no human input is much simpler to implement than mostly automated. But it also means the tech has to be damn near perfect, which is an incredibly hard place to get to. Even if it could be proved to reduce accidents by (say) 50% on average, I think it would be very hard to get public opinion onside for it.
    This is already an issue for airline pilots, there’s plenty of accident reports that cite “Automation Dependency” as a factor - pilots who initially trained on highly automated modern planes, who struggle with basic flying skills under pressure of a failure of the automatics.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

First?

Before writing off Biden's chances, we should remember that Mike was adamant from the beginning of the Democratic contest that Biden was too old to win.

Granted four years of the Presidency is pretty wearing even on a much younger person, but I am not yet assuming that he won't run again. If the Democrats hold the House and Senate at the midterms (& that's a not insignificant 'if'), I think he just might do so.
    Even if they don't he may do so, especially if he polls better against say Pence than Harris does.

Obama and Bill Clinton and Reagan all saw their parties fail to win the House in their first midterms and Clinton saw his party lose the Senate too. All were re elected
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    HYUFD said:

You will have to bring your own biro or pencil though, masks will be compulsory if voting in person and sanitiser will be on hand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55938380
    There’s going to be a large % of ppl who don’t bring their own pencil.

What happens then?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Self-driving cars.

You're welcome.

A study of the issues around liability and insurance for SD cars, would definitely make for a good PhD thesis.

All governments are going to have to deal with this in the coming years, and they either need to get ahead of the curve or have the industry write their own rules.
    The very good point was recently made that it isn't just SD cars vs human driven cars, there's a third element which is the matrix, as it were, in which all the cars operate. We are already there - externally enforced speed limiters are going to be a thing next year, and if the system can dictate your speed it can dictate anything else you do. The more the system becomes constrained - the more railway-like and less road network-like it is made by external virtual constraints - the easier the SD problems become. They don't have to be autonomous, any more than train drivers have to attend to the steering.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    100 in his hundredth test for Joe Root! What a player.

And the next ball his average goes back to 50. Back in the big boys club.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

That is because most of the voters who voted UKIP in 2015 are now voting Tory as are a few Leave voters in the Red Wall who voted for Miliband then, while a few Cameron 2015 voters are now voting Starmer Labour or LD.
This discussion has been closed.