Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This Ridge interview with Johnson just three days before GE2019 looks problematical for the PM – pol

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

maaarsh said:

Yorkcity said:

Just read the the BoE has kept interest rates at 0.1%.but as warned negative rates are coming.
    What effect will negative rates have ?

One effect will be me crying like a disgraced televangelist.

Savers are a persecuted minority.
    Not really - half the purpose of this monetary policy is to keep stock markets rolling, so savers just have to be in the asset classes they're being directed towards and they're still doing fine.
    Yes and never mind this discriminates against poorer, unsophisticated savers and favours rich equity investors like, erm, PBers and anyone else who has heard of half the firms George Osborne worked for.
    If an economy propped up by cheap-as-chips money and smoke & mirrors QE for over a decade now requires interest rates to go negative to avoid a slump, that feels to me like something inevitable and extremely harrowing is merely being postponed a little longer.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    kle4 said:

maaarsh said:

Apparently the current acceptance rate for vaccine offers is 85%, so 25.5m jabs to cover all in the 30m tiers 1-9 who want it.

10.5m already done, and we're rapidly heading towards 3m a week, so decent shout of covering the at risks groups in 5 weeks time, c. March 10th 3 weeks ahead of Easter.

Yep that sounds about right.

Also, we will need to factor in infection-conferred immunity too.

I think by Easter things could be looking rather positive.
    rest assured, a reason will be dreamed up why you have to stay in lockdown. Right now the favourites are

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

Something will come along.
    Why?
    Why do you think the government wants us to be in lockdown? It's ruining the country's finances.

What possible benefit do you think they get out of this conspiracy?
    I believe his answer in the past has been the general point about the corrupting influence of power, particularly as relates to SAGE.

I still say that even if SAGE want thta, we're already seeing pushback from Sunal and definitely would others - the more things look 'ok' or the sort of thing you do get during flu season, the less politicians will take up such suggestions to keep us restricted even if they are made.

The goverment can do it because the public are in favour - that will not last.
    Quite.

Sunak questioned the notion, often expressed on here, that SAGE don;t want us in lockdown a minute longer than they have to.

It clearly is not true in some cases. I wonder about some politicians too. On both sides of the house.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Vaxometer

(First dose, all four nations)

Target 15,000,000
    Thru 10,490,487
    Remaining 4,509,513

Days to target 11
    Yesterday's rate 469,016
    Required rate 409,955 ( ↓ from 414,877 yesterday)

So we scored a boundary today. Let's hope for a big six tomorrow to really eat into the chase.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202

maaarsh said:

Apparently the current acceptance rate for vaccine offers is 85%, so 25.5m jabs to cover all in the 30m tiers 1-9 who want it.

10.5m already done, and we're rapidly heading towards 3m a week, so decent shout of covering the at risks groups in 5 weeks time, c. March 10th 3 weeks ahead of Easter.

Still not sure what happens to the 4.5m who say "Nope....". That's quite a sump for reinfection come the autumn.
    And of course the demographic of people most likely to suffer the worst with COVID are the ones refusing the vaccine.
    Yes and no. Some will have had Covid. And herd immunity doesn't require everyone to get jabbed, just enough to prevent significant onward progression. And maybe some of them will change their mind when they start finding some places say vaccinated only please...
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    RobD said:

Vaxometer

(First dose, all four nations)

Target 15,000,000
    Thru 10,490,487
    Remaining 4,509,513

Days to target 11
    Yesterday's rate 469,016
    Required rate 409,955 ( ↓ from 414,877 yesterday)

The only way they'll miss it is if there is a supply issue.
    Confirmed in statement to the house they have full visibility on supply to hit. Of course that target is based on 100% take up which they're not getting so in practice they're pretty comfortably on course
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    kle4 said:

As predicted, she has suddenly become populated with people who likely did not like her before.
    Ugh *popular*.

I hope she is not getting populated with people who did not like her.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Still not sure what happens to the 4.5m who say "Nope....". That's quite a sump for reinfection come the autumn.
    If they get 85% take up the R should still stay below 1 so everytime someone brings the virus in from abroad it'll have a tough job finding enough potential carriers in a row before hitting a dead-end
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

maaarsh said:

Yorkcity said:

Just read the the BoE has kept interest rates at 0.1%.but as warned negative rates are coming.

Not really - half the purpose of this monetary policy is to keep stock markets rolling, so savers just have to be in the asset classes they're being directed towards and they're still doing fine.
    Yes and never mind this discriminates against poorer, unsophisticated savers and favours rich equity investors like, erm, PBers and anyone else who has heard of half the firms George Osborne worked for.
    If an economy propped up by cheap-as-chips money and smoke & mirrors QE for over a decade now requires interest rates to go negative to avoid a slump, that feels to me like something inevitable and extremely harrowing is merely being postponed a little longer.
    And you would be absolutely correct in that assumption. 100% correct.

Sunak, and the recovery group, are desperately, desperately, trying to save something from the carnage that is about to ensue.

I fear they are already too late.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

I love the word 'problematic'. It's like 'inappropriate'

It's nicely understated.

Should it not be problematical? I always think people sound a bit stupid when they say it for that reason. Of course, if I'm wrong, the only stupid one is me.
    Understatement used to be an art form much favoured by the ad industry

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-domaindev-st_emea&hsimp=yhs-st_emea&hspart=domaindev&p=parker+pen+ad+with+penelope+keith#id=3&vid=0966fab2bca7ac231b5ea2358b67a2d6&action=click
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,283
    Mortimer said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:
    Hmm. That's actually going to be slightly underwhelming I think.

Will end up being pretty much bang on the required rate – I was hoping for a bumper couple of days, given the widespread snowy weather forecast for next week.
    Friday through to Sunday are the days where we will hopefully smash the run-rate. If the other 4 days of the week average around the 400k daily mark then we should make the Feb 15th target with 2 or 3 days to spare.
    Also, does it REALLY matter if we miss the target by a day or two? No. The govt has - in this case - done a fantastic job.

When the target was announced I remember many on here (and many amongst my friends) scoffing with derision at the mere idea they'd achieve this. Now it looks certain they will do it, or get as near as dammit, so it doesn't matter.

The main thing is to KEEP IT UP so we can vax all priority groups - ie ME - by mid March. Then we are really set to have sex again, sorry, open up the country.
    More than KEEP IT UP, need to go to infinity and beyond. 1 million a day capacity should be the aim.
    As we did with testing.

Also, as with testing, I doubt we will reach 1m a day, but - like testing - 600-700,000 should be doable. 1% of the country every day, for day after day.
    We've already had a 600k day, so I would really hope that we'll hit 1m some days.
    Have we got to the bottom of why the final day each week is always the highest, yet?

I could understand Sat/Sun being lower. But why are some weekdays so much lower than others, consistently?
    Could that be a reporting artifact? Someone stays a bit late on Friday getting the data up-to-date, because they know that otherwise they won't have another chance until Monday.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

kle4 said:

maaarsh said:

rest assured, a reason will be dreamed up why you have to stay in lockdown. Right now the favourites are

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

Why?
    Why do you think the government wants us to be in lockdown? It's ruining the country's finances.

I believe his answer in the past has been the general point about the corrupting influence of power, particularly as relates to SAGE.

I still say that even if SAGE want thta, we're already seeing pushback from Sunal and definitely would others - the more things look 'ok' or the sort of thing you do get during flu season, the less politicians will take up such suggestions to keep us restricted even if they are made.

Quite.

Sunak questioned the notion, often expressed on here, that SAGE don;t want us in lockdown a minute longer than they have to.

It clearly is not true in some cases. I wonder about some politicians too. On both sides of the house.
    There's obviously a spectrum from the liberty/economy absolutists (very few) to liberty/economy prioritizers (more) to safety/suppression prioritizers (the majority) to safety/suppression absolutists (very few).

The argument the outer edges of that spectrum are (apparently) having with one another has no bearing on where most people are in the debate.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

maaarsh said:

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

Why?

He doesn’t like it.
    Therefore it is obviously wrong. And without it, everything would be fine, it would be fine, honest it would be fine.
    Accordingly, the only reason that anyone in authority would apply it must be that they are being fooled or compelled by a conspiracy of scientists.
    Everything must be twisted to fit into that view.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Must be PB's Nerys. She's not wearing a face mask
  • Options

After yesterday’s PMQs theatre, Labour reluctantly admitted Starmer had called for UK membership of the European Medicines Agency post-Brexit. Guido can reveal Starmer went further than merely talking the talk – he voted for an amendment in 2018 that would have seen the UK bound into EMA membership. The amendment in question was New Clause 17 to the 2018 Trade Bill, which read:

“It shall be the objective of an appropriate authority to take all necessary steps to implement an international trade agreement, which enables the UK to fully participate after exit day in the European medicines regulatory network partnership between the European Union, European Economic Area and the European Medicines Agency.”

During the epic May-era parliamentary battle, Starmer, along with 240 Labour MPs, two sitting Tories and others – voted for this, trying to ensure the UK made it a negotiating objective “to participate in the European medicines regulatory network partnership between the EU, EEA and the European Medicines Agency”. At the time proclaiming this would ensure patients continue “to have access to high-quality, effective and safe pharmaceutical and medical products, fully aligned with the member states of the EU and EEA.” Keir might be be hoping we have forgotten, Guido is not convinced his famously forensic legal brain would have really forgotten...

https://order-order.com/2021/02/04/starmer-voted-to-keep-uk-in-the-ema/

This story feels very much like a #10 sting and something they were extremely bad at all of last year.

They have dug out a specific and topical example of where old Remainer Starmer was consistently doing everything possible to keep the UK in the EU....and then helpfully pointed a friendly gossip monger to where to go looking.

Doh. It's hardly a revelation that Starmer wanted to stay in, or as close as possible to, the EU back in 2018, is it? I suspect that's well known, and he can't change that. What's important now is that he has accepted that Brexit has happened and any prospect of rejoining is very distant.

It smacks a bit of desperation to land a killer blow on Starmer, and will fail. Maybe the Tories, and Guido, should focus on what he's said/done since he became leader.
    Although not quite as feeble as the recent "scoop" revealing that 16 years ago he said that many years before that, as a thrusting young radical, he was not enamoured by the notion of a hereditary Head of State. I mean, c'mon. If that's a big vote loser for the mainstream party of the left in Britain, Britain has no use for a mainstream party of the left. And before BluestBlue or anyone similarly inclined nips in with a smart arse reply, of course Britain does need and want a mainstream party of the left.
  • Options

kle4 said:

maaarsh said:

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

Why?

Quite.

There's obviously a spectrum from the liberty/economy absolutists (very few) to liberty/economy prioritizers (more) to safety/suppression prioritizers (the majority) to safety/suppression absolutists (very few).

The argument the outer edges of that spectrum are (apparently) having with one another has no bearing on where most people are in the debate.
    Where most people are in the debate is not aware of the consequences of what's being done in their name. On Furlough or in the public sector or on pensions or other support measures.

The real victims of lockdown, the young and the self employed and small business people in the private sector have been targeted because they are voiceless and are in any case are drowned out by the governments vast propaganda campaign.

That is where most people are.

As I say, Sunak and co are trying to save something. He must be looking at the finances in absolute despair. He can't raise taxes he can't cut taxes, he can't raise or cut spending, all for political reasons.

And yet he has a 400bn deficit to try to close.

I'm amazed he hasn't resigned. Talk about a poisoned challice.

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,725

maaarsh said:

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

Why?

He doesn’t like it.
    Therefore it is obviously wrong. And without it, everything would be fine, it would be fine, honest it would be fine.
    Accordingly, the only reason that anyone in authority would apply it must be that they are being fooled or compelled by a conspiracy of scientists.
    I`m with you but, to be fair, Contrarian is not saying "everything will be fine". Rather, he is saying "everything is not fine but we must carry on with our lives regardless because this is not all about health".
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

200k signatures to give Captain Tom a state funeral.

Isn't this all getting a bit much now?

Yes, that is OTT. And not a Captain Tom point but I'm also getting a bit conflicted at seeing people with major health problems embarking on public feats of endurance to raise money for the NHS.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited February 2021

Mortimer said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:
    Hmm. That's actually going to be slightly underwhelming I think.

Will end up being pretty much bang on the required rate – I was hoping for a bumper couple of days, given the widespread snowy weather forecast for next week.
    Friday through to Sunday are the days where we will hopefully smash the run-rate. If the other 4 days of the week average around the 400k daily mark then we should make the Feb 15th target with 2 or 3 days to spare.
    Also, does it REALLY matter if we miss the target by a day or two? No. The govt has - in this case - done a fantastic job.

When the target was announced I remember many on here (and many amongst my friends) scoffing with derision at the mere idea they'd achieve this. Now it looks certain they will do it, or get as near as dammit, so it doesn't matter.

The main thing is to KEEP IT UP so we can vax all priority groups - ie ME - by mid March. Then we are really set to have sex again, sorry, open up the country.
    More than KEEP IT UP, need to go to infinity and beyond. 1 million a day capacity should be the aim.
    As we did with testing.

Also, as with testing, I doubt we will reach 1m a day, but - like testing - 600-700,000 should be doable. 1% of the country every day, for day after day.
    We've already had a 600k day, so I would really hope that we'll hit 1m some days.
    Have we got to the bottom of why the final day each week is always the highest, yet?

I could understand Sat/Sun being lower. But why are some weekdays so much lower than others, consistently?
    Could that be a reporting artifact? Someone stays a bit late on Friday getting the data up-to-date, because they know that otherwise they won't have another chance until Monday.
    To me deliveries sounds a convincing reason.
  • Options

kle4 said:

maaarsh said:

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

Why?

Quite.

Where most people are in the debate is not aware of the consequences of what's being done in their name. On Furlough or in the public sector or on pensions or other support measures.

The real victims of lockdown, the young and the self employed and small business people in the private sector have been targeted because they are voiceless and are in any case are drowned out by the governments vast propaganda campaign.

As I say, Sunak and co are trying to save something. He must be looking at the finances in absolute despair. He can't raise taxes he can't cut taxes, he can't raise or cut spending, all for political reasons.

Part of the deficit is of Sunak`s own making. His packages are poorly targeted. Some people missed out entirely while many others are feeling very flush at the moment. It`s easy to dish it out but a bugger to get it back again.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Study reveals extent of Covid vaccine side-effects

About one in three people recently given a Covid vaccine by the NHS report some side-effects.

Most were mild, such as soreness around the injection site, and resolved in a day or two, the UK researchers who gathered the feedback said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55932832

Would you class soreness where you have just been jabbed with a needle a side-effect of the vaccine?

Even if that is the correct way to record it it seems tailor made for reporting misunderstands.
    The old anti-vaxxers like Macron will love to tell everybody how 1 in 3 people get side-effects.
    Not to support Manu - who I've gone right off for now - but just to report on my experience of the jab. It's well known that I haven't had it but my parents have (age) and so has my brother and partner (health workers). Oxford and Pfizer respectively. All 4 of them felt rough for 48 hours afterwards. Like a quick flu. I don't know how common that is but it's 100% for my sample.
    Yeah my parents both had mild side effects. My mum has the Pfizer jab and she had a dead arm, headache and mild temperature for the next few days. My mum said my dad had a full blown case of man flu after his AZ jab.
    Not quite man flu in my case but limb-, back- and head-aches. No elevated temperature. Greatly relieved by woollie long-johns.

My experience after AZN was a blinding headache and 8 hours of vomiting. It was very similar to a bad migraine. Others I know who had it at the same time all suffered headaches but none was sick. It makes me wonder if a history of migraine makes you more susceptible, but that is mere speculation on my part.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, that is OTT. And not a Captain Tom point but I'm also getting a bit conflicted at seeing people with major health problems embarking on public feats of endurance to raise money for the NHS.
    Bit like with child campaigners. Teens is probably fine, but go too young and it feels like you listen to them like you would a child preacher taught to parrot lines, because it's an impressive spectacle.
  • Options

geoffw said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

About one in three people recently given a Covid vaccine by the NHS report some side-effects.

Most were mild, such as soreness around the injection site, and resolved in a day or two, the UK researchers who gathered the feedback said.

Would you class soreness where you have just been jabbed with a needle a side-effect of the vaccine?

Even if that is the correct way to record it it seems tailor made for reporting misunderstands.
    The old anti-vaxxers like Macron will love to tell everybody how 1 in 3 people get side-effects.
    Not to support Manu - who I've gone right off for now - but just to report on my experience of the jab. It's well known that I haven't had it but my parents have (age) and so has my brother and partner (health workers). Oxford and Pfizer respectively. All 4 of them felt rough for 48 hours afterwards. Like a quick flu. I don't know how common that is but it's 100% for my sample.
    Yeah my parents both had mild side effects. My mum has the Pfizer jab and she had a dead arm, headache and mild temperature for the next few days. My mum said my dad had a full blown case of man flu after his AZ jab.
    Not quite man flu in my case but limb-, back- and head-aches. No elevated temperature. Greatly relieved by woollie long-johns.

My experience after AZN was a blinding headache and 8 hours of vomiting. It was very similar to a bad migraine. Others I know who had it at the same time all suffered headaches but none was sick. It makes me wonder if a history of migraine makes you more susceptible, but that is mere speculation on my part.

Sounds awful - well, pain for gain at least, but still sucks.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

maaarsh said:

Yorkcity said:

Sunak, and the recovery group, are desperately, desperately, trying to save something from the carnage that is about to ensue.

With hindsight, maybe QE did not work. Or possibly QE did work to save the banks (and that was the immediate problem because it really was necessary to save the banks) but failed to resurrect the economy and maybe we should have switched to Keynesian paying men to dig holes and other men to fill in holes. You could argue that both George Osborne (Northern Powerhouse) and Boris (levelling up) were at least talking a good fight even if nothing came of it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

Sir Keir Starmer has denied reports he had a heated confrontation with Boris Johnson after the pair clashed during Prime Minister's Questions on Wednesday.

The Labour leader told broadcasters on a visit to an NHS vaccination centre in Watford that the reports - which claimed he was led away from Johnson - were untrue and that he and the PM merely continued their discussion of issues raised during the weekly exchange.

The Labour leader used his visit to the Watford centre - which is set up in the corner of a large Asda supermarket - to suggest the government was in "chaos" over what to do about people arriving from abroad.

"I'm really worried about the chaos and confusion on the government's borders policy," Starmer said, adding: "We're in a race now - virus against vaccination. Let's secure our borders."

----

I remember when the tw@tterati were outraged that Boris went to some vaccination centres....Starmer seems to go to even more than him.

One thing not being picked up on, yesterday Team Red were complaining that the mass testing for Saffers COVID wasn't covering a wide enough area. Today, Team Red in Wales, have side oh no we aren't going to mass test for it, although we have some community transmission cases.

Was Starmer wearing a Union flag at the vaccine centre? A poor effort if he wasn't.
    Union Balaclava pictured in the snow tomorrow.

Labour supposed to be in partnership with union movement

SirAbstainalot got hold of the wrong end of the stick or should i say flagpole

Anyway I know @uklabour can win in 2024 without any left wing voters because SO/Jonathon/CHB on here

say so* Flag Shaggers will be flocking our way because its really believable that we are the party of the flag

*and without members, Scotland, Wales, or anyone under 40 to boot we will waltz home.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

After yesterday’s PMQs theatre, Labour reluctantly admitted Starmer had called for UK membership of the European Medicines Agency post-Brexit. Guido can reveal Starmer went further than merely talking the talk – he voted for an amendment in 2018 that would have seen the UK bound into EMA membership. The amendment in question was New Clause 17 to the 2018 Trade Bill, which read:

“It shall be the objective of an appropriate authority to take all necessary steps to implement an international trade agreement, which enables the UK to fully participate after exit day in the European medicines regulatory network partnership between the European Union, European Economic Area and the European Medicines Agency.”

During the epic May-era parliamentary battle, Starmer, along with 240 Labour MPs, two sitting Tories and others – voted for this, trying to ensure the UK made it a negotiating objective “to participate in the European medicines regulatory network partnership between the EU, EEA and the European Medicines Agency”. At the time proclaiming this would ensure patients continue “to have access to high-quality, effective and safe pharmaceutical and medical products, fully aligned with the member states of the EU and EEA.” Keir might be be hoping we have forgotten, Guido is not convinced his famously forensic legal brain would have really forgotten...

This story feels very much like a #10 sting and something they were extremely bad at all of last year.

They have dug out a specific and topical example of where old Remainer Starmer was consistently doing everything possible to keep the UK in the EU....and then helpfully pointed a friendly gossip monger to where to go looking.

Doh. It's hardly a revelation that Starmer wanted to stay in, or as close as possible to, the EU back in 2018, is it? I suspect that's well known, and he can't change that. What's important now is that he has accepted that Brexit has happened and any prospect of rejoining is very distant.

It smacks a bit of desperation to land a killer blow on Starmer, and will fail. Maybe the Tories, and Guido, should focus on what he's said/done since he became leader.
    Although not quite as feeble as the recent "scoop" revealing that 16 years ago he said that many years before that, as a thrusting young radical, he was not enamoured by the notion of a hereditary Head of State. I mean, c'mon. If that's a big vote loser for the mainstream party of the left in Britain, Britain has no use for a mainstream party of the left. And before BluestBlue or anyone similarly inclined nips in with a smart arse reply, of course Britain does need and want a mainstream party of the left.
    As if I would ever say something like that! For all I know, Britain may well need and want a mainstream party of the left; it just doesn't seem all that keen on electing one to power.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Stocky said:

maaarsh said:

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

Why?

He doesn’t like it.
    I`m with you but, to be fair, Contrarian is not saying "everything will be fine". Rather, he is saying "everything is not fine but we must carry on with our lives regardless because this is not all about health".
    Contrarian is remarkably reticent to state how many people he thinks have died of Covid and how many he thinks would die of we lifted restrictions.

This is because he thinks Covid is made up.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

geoffw said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Sounds awful - well, pain for gain at least, but still sucks.
    On the plus side it beats getting Covid!

• Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    edited February 2021
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

If they get 85% take up the R should still stay below 1 so everytime someone brings the virus in from abroad it'll have a tough job finding enough potential carriers in a row before hitting a dead-end
    I don't think that's a given as we don't know just how high the unrestricted R would be before factoring in the vaccines. We've had places doubling or even tripling cases in a week despite still very significant restrictions and many people locking themselves down voluntarily.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,669
    "England batsman Zak Crawley has been ruled out of the first two Tests against India after spraining a wrist in a "freak" accident.

The 23-year-old slipped on a marble floor outside the changing room during Tuesday's practice session."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55924989
  • Options
    Why are Spurs 3/1 to beat Chelsea at home?
  • Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 86
    Not sure this is just an issue about NI any more. There is a piece running today on the local news in the Southwest about how unhappy the fishermen are to have been 'sold out' by brexit. In the end the lies were always going to catch up on the leavers. Problem is that it is now too late to prevent the damage to the country and someone will have to pay the price.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kle4 said:

maaarsh said:

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

Why?

Quite.

Part of the deficit is of Sunak`s own making. His packages are poorly targeted. Some people missed out entirely while many others are feeling very flush at the moment. It`s easy to dish it out but a bugger to get it back again.
    There is no doubt that Britain would have taken a big hit to its finances whatever the government did. Big hit

But there are, undoubtedly, doing to be winners and losers. Some economies have shrunk less than four per cent. for others, its touching double digit.

and that means its going to be easier for some to recover than others. Much, much easier.
  • Options
    It doesn't mean Labour should become more patriotic necessarily. An alternative and superior solution would be for the public to grow up and become less so. The Conservatives would then have the problem. They'd have this more sophisticated and enlightened electorate getting pissed off with them and punishing them at the ballot box for banging on about Britain all the time and constantly waving flags around and implying we are something very special compared to those unfortunate enough to live elsewhere. That's where I hope we're heading once this little bout of Brexit-fueled national populism has blown itself out and people get back to brass tacks.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Brom said:
    It's all good but the Wales and Scottish numbers are definitely superior to England today.
    Are we sure the England numbers are actual people jagged or is it just eligible people offered one?
    Disappointed that you're buying into this bullshit narrative, Alistair.
    I was being only lightly facetious. I had paid it no heed until that car crash statement where the care home figure seemed to shimmer like a mirage
  • Options

US Rep. Lynn Cheney (R-Wyoming) retains her post as chair of the House GOP conference, by vote of 144 - 61

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/02/04/takeaways-from-a-head-spinning-night-in-republican-politics-491632

But I was told on here she was toast.
    Not by yours truly!
    I know, yours are post worth reading and betting on.
    Don't think I would go THAT far. Indeed, makes me question you judgement!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2021
    kinabalu said:

It doesn't mean Labour should become more patriotic necessarily. An alternative and superior solution would be for the public to grow up and become less so. The Conservatives would then have the problem. They'd have this more sophisticated and enlightened electorate getting pissed off with them and punishing them at the ballot box for banging on about Britain all the time and constantly waving flags around and implying we are something very special compared to those unfortunate enough to live elsewhere. That's where I hope we're heading once this little bout of Brexit-fueled national populism has blown itself out and people get back to brass tacks.

Ah, the Brecht solution:

If that is the case, would it not be be simpler,
    If the government simply dissolved the people
    And elected another?

Not often expressed as clearly as our very own @kinabalu expresses it.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Ah, the Brecht solution:

And elected another?

And then they wonder why said electorate is convinced that Labour hates them...
  • Options

Stocky said:

kle4 said:

maaarsh said:

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

Why?

Quite.

There is no doubt that Britain would have taken a big hit to its finances whatever the government did. Big hit

But there are, undoubtedly, doing to be winners and losers. Some economies have shrunk less than four per cent. for others, its touching double digit.

and that means its going to be easier for some to recover than others. Much, much easier.
    Re GDP - listen to recent edition of More or Less. Can`t reliably compare GDP across nations because there are big difference in how service worker pandemic productivity is factored in.

Some countries (e.g. Spain) have made no adjustment. UK has applied a large reduction in output for key groups inc teachers. Consequently our figures are more honest while others are producing GDP figures that don`t fully reflect the pandemic effect.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Change the electorate! That’ll be a winner!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

• Options

kinabalu said:

As if I would ever say something like that! For all I know, Britain may well need and want a mainstream party of the left; it just doesn't seem all that keen on electing one to power.
    This is a betting site uber alles so I say again a factoid which imo should be etched in people's brains for the long term.

In the early hours of the morning following GE17 a certain Jeremy Corbyn - not just left wing but a lifelong member of the HARD left - went odds on favourite in running to be the next Prime Minister of this country.

Think on.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Stocky said:

Value?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

This is a betting site uber alles so I say again a factoid which imo should be etched in people's brains for the long term.

In the early hours of the morning following GE17 a certain Jeremy Corbyn - not just left wing but a lifelong member of the HARD left - went odds on favourite in running to be the next Prime Minister of this country.

Think on.
    And then what happened next? Anyone taking that bet would have lost their money.
  • Options
    English care home vaccination data linked from this tweet. No great mystery at all it turns out.

https://twitter.com/squire67/status/1357384137137655811?s=19
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Alistair said:

English care home vaccination data linked from this tweet. No great mystery at all it turns out.

99.1% visited, so the number vaccinated is probably as high as it is going to get.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,288

kinabalu said:

maaarsh said:

Yorkcity said:

With hindsight, maybe QE did not work. Or possibly QE did work to save the banks (and that was the immediate problem because it really was necessary to save the banks) but failed to resurrect the economy and maybe we should have switched to Keynesian paying men to dig holes and other men to fill in holes. You could argue that both George Osborne (Northern Powerhouse) and Boris (levelling up) were at least talking a good fight even if nothing came of it.
    QE worked in the sense that it avoided economic collapse and helped restore confidence in the markets. But it is surprising how little its pernicious longer term effects are talked about in both political and economic circles; the asset price inflation it inexorably created is a principal reason for the yawning gap between the generations and between the rich and the rest.

Because QE acted invisibly and no-one really understands or sees it happening, its political cost has proved negligible. Free money that avoids economic pain and comes with no political cost is like crack cocaine designed especially for politicians, and it is no surprise that every attempt to go cold turkey has so far failed.
  • Options
    ping said:

Stocky said:

Value?
    At first glance yes. When I checked the odds I was expecting 13/8 or Spurs or approx. Must be injuries I guess.

I`ve had a small nibble at 13 on a 1-0 Spurs win. Those odds are available with BF, Smarkets and Betdaq.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

99.1% visited, so the number vaccinated is probably as high as it is going to get.
    But only 80% of residents vaccinated.

If the Scottish figure is indeed correct (and I truly find it hard to believe it true) that is an astonishing difference.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:

It's going your way. 2015 Yougov has GB all age groups very+fairly at 67% so there has been no Brexit surge.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2015/07/14/decline-british-patriotism

I have a lot of sympathy with this 22 year old writing shortly before dying in France in 1944

"Don’t get me wrong though, Mom, I am no flag-waving patriot…England’s a great little country – the best there is – but I cannot honestly say that it is ‘worth fighting for’. Nor can I fancy myself in the role of a gallant crusader fighting for the liberation of Europe. It would be a nice thought but I would only be kidding myself. No, Mom, my little world is centred around you and including Dad, everyone at home, and my friends at W[olverhamp]ton – That is worth fighting for – and if by doing so it strengthens your security and improves your lot in any way, then it is worth dying for too."
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited February 2021
    kinabalu said:

And before BluestBlue or anyone similarly inclined nips in with a smart arse reply, of course Britain does need and want a mainstream party of the left.

Just not the one on offer...

(smart-arse enough?)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I wonder why the future PM couldn't just say this?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Think on.
    And then what happened next? Anyone taking that bet would have lost their money.
    Sheepish confession, I profited because I took the other side. But you take my point. Do not go thinking Labour cannot win a GE here - and soon - from the left. It's sterile, sloppy groupthink. They can. They totally can.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

If the Scottish figure is indeed correct (and I truly find it hard to believe it true) that is an astonishing difference.
    You are going off the total number, rather than the number eligible?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

kle4 said:

maaarsh said:

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

Why?

Quite.

Re GDP - listen to recent edition of More or Less. Can`t reliably compare GDP across nations because there are big difference in how service worker pandemic productivity is factored in.

Some countries (e.g. Spain) have made no adjustment. UK has applied a large reduction in output for key groups inc teachers. Consequently our figures are more honest while others are producing GDP figures that don`t fully reflect the pandemic effect.
    Yes, I heard that too. The bottom line was that if other countries had made the same assumed reductions to GDP reflecting lower education and health outputs that we have, most major western countries would have come out with around the same reduction. Which is plausible, when you consider that the general level of economic activity has fallen off in similar ways pretty much everywhere.

The political price will be paid according to the measures politicians decide to take to head the ship back to calmer waters, rather than the relative decline in economic performance statistics during the crisis.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    edited February 2021

kinabalu said:

No. Persuade the electorate; that's what campaigning is about. Labour will never (and doesn't want to) win over those who are very right wing, whether they be Tory toffs, Faragists, or sections of the white working class (not that high a proportion, actually) that tend towards xenophobia and other prejudices. But they need to persuade others that they are fit to govern. That means neutralising the 'patriotism' issue, not by flag waving but by persuading the majority that Labour likes this country (which it does) and will protect its interests. If the electorate is unpersuadable, then we may as well give up. But Labour doesn't need to persuade BluestBlue, for example; he is out of reach.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

kinabalu said:

Yawn. But also not yawn - because Yes. Spot on. Change the electorate. As in move hearts & minds. As in remove scales from eyes.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,020
    edited February 2021

It is a big problem for Labour, as it was for Dems in the US for most of the last 4 years. And that worked out OK in the end without Biden wrapping himself in the Stars n' Bars.
    Biden standing in front of a huge Stars and Stripes here, the sign interpreter also has the US flag next to her

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1278012801143865344?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    You have to admire the thoroughness of YouGov, for finding the 3% living in caves since last March.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

kle4 said:

maaarsh said:

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

Why?

Quite.

Thanks to the ONS not a political decision, but extremely helpful to the government to pile up crap figures when basically no one cares and give themselves a lovely low denominator to claim a world leading bounce back, entirely due to their perfectly handled vaccine roll out and brexit deal!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

Hey Justice for Salmond guys, here's who you're travelling with.

https://twitter.com/CraigMurrayOrg/status/1356699711890145284?s=20

Almost as amusing is one of the replies from Ms. Adwoa Oni, Newark, CA, USA, via Olgino, St Petersburg.

https://twitter.com/adwoaoni/status/1356863828194070530?s=20

Oh ok, I'll just stop wanting Salmond to be treated justly then - thanks for making the right course of action so clear.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,543

Even the Tory Party needs to up their flag waving, Rule Britannia singing, game.
    Looking at the data it appears that the Tories can win easily just on the votes of patriots but Labour have to appeal to all sides - patriots and indifferent and non patriots - to keep the vote up - which is a lot harder. Union Flag? Knee? Red flag? St George?

• Options
    algarkirk said:

Even the Tory Party needs to up their flag waving, Rule Britannia singing, game.
    Looking at the data it appears that the Tories can win easily just on the votes of patriots but Labour have to appeal to all sides - patriots and indifferent and non patriots - to keep the vote up - which is a lot harder. Union Flag? Knee? Red flag? St George?

Or all four at the same time for maximum hilarity.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

You are going off the total number, rather than the number eligible?
    Yes because that is what Sturgeon is claiming has been achieved in Scotland.

And I find that fairly unbelievable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Undoubtedly that is the mood of the country, it's also frankly push polling to state the true downside for 1 option, without properly stating the outcome on the other (rather than 'even if lockdown lasts longer' try 'even if that means services are cut deeply for the next decade')
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

During the war Labour used the political breathing space to develop a truly radical blueprint for the better society it wanted to see after the war - much of it drawn from inter-war liberal thinking (such as the Beveridge report); securing election in 1945 on the back of this programme, the extent of change it achieved during its first term was breathtaking - the creation of the NHS, the modern welfare state, and the groundbreaking Planning Act.

Where are the signs that anyone on the centre or left of politics is even thinking about the same amount of heavy lifting for the 21st century?

Taking the widest historical view, the left of politics has always concerned itself with the radical changes needed to march society toward a better future (the consequences of such are for another day). Where is such a vision today? If Labour in 2024 simply puts itself forward as a more credible team of technocratic managers than the current lot, they are surely doomed.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    Does anyone have an update on the Death Wish Morons of Euston Square?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Stocky said:

ping said:

Stocky said:

Value?
    At first glance yes. When I checked the odds I was expecting 13/8 or Spurs or approx. Must be injuries I guess.

I`ve had a small nibble at 13 on a 1-0 Spurs win. Those odds are available with BF, Smarkets and Betdaq.
    I’ve followed you in....
  • Options
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Those voters that will win Labour the next election just voted for the Tories, in working-class midlands and northern seats. They noticed that Corbyn wasn't patriotic.

Those who hate flags unless they're Palestinian flags are voting Labour anyway, Starmer doesn't need to 'appeal' to them.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

They have an eye to jumping the queues when this is all over?

Survival of the fittest/unhealthiest with a strategy....
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

It's going your way. 2015 Yougov has GB all age groups very+fairly at 67% so there has been no Brexit surge.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2015/07/14/decline-british-patriotism

I have a lot of sympathy with this 22 year old writing shortly before dying in France in 1944

"Don’t get me wrong though, Mom, I am no flag-waving patriot…England’s a great little country – the best there is – but I cannot honestly say that it is ‘worth fighting for’. Nor can I fancy myself in the role of a gallant crusader fighting for the liberation of Europe. It would be a nice thought but I would only be kidding myself. No, Mom, my little world is centred around you and including Dad, everyone at home, and my friends at W[olverhamp]ton – That is worth fighting for – and if by doing so it strengthens your security and improves your lot in any way, then it is worth dying for too."
    Of course - that's what most soldiers fight for. There's also the little epigram of Yuri Belash:

'To be honest about it —
    in the trenches the last thing we thought about
    was Stalin.'
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Yawn. But also not yawn - because Yes. Spot on. Change the electorate. As in move hearts & minds. As in remove scales from eyes.
    And, let's be honest, there's an important strand of the government that is tying to do the same thing. "Britannia Unchained" is all about the idea that the British Public need to raise their eyes to the far horizon and work harder to take opportunities on the other side of the world.

What if Liz Truss invites us all to a party on the other side of the world, and nobody from Britain turns up?

(But yes. From the perspective of a politically homeless Clarkeite ex-Conservative, Labour needs to be more relaxed about having flags in the backdrop. I've said that Cool Britannia or the Spirit of 2012 is the way to do this.)
  • Options
    Labour can start flying the flag - The Red Flag?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    HYUFD said:
    Whilst this is undoubtedly true, (post hoc) support for lockdown will plummet after tax rises hit...
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    The problem with the protocol is in the detail, whether deliberate or accidental.

The GFA had two fundamentals for individuals
    The right of anyone living here to choose their citizenship as Irish or British. Has not changed due to Brexit. I can have two passports if I want by dint of my address.

The concept that you can travel across borders between NI/ROI/GB. This is called the common travel area, has not changed and has been in play for decades EU or no EU. I believe the Brexit agreement left that untouched.

The problem is trade, not free movement of people. That the two have intertwined is one problem, because they shouldn't have been intertwined. In short someone didn't do their detail or someone is doing too much detail.

This shouldn't be an identity issue, its an issue of doing business and for the umpteenth time, NI's biggest market, by far, for trade in and out is GB. That's all there is to it, you have customs regulations and checks on stuff to and from ROI its got a lot smaller impact than what is happening now. Some fucking whizz concluded, however, that this was a bigger problem when the stats on trade would have told you that it wasn't.

Somehow the 'oh my god they will be burning down border posts' shit kicked off. You know how much of that came from the NI parties of all stripes? Actually not a lot. Most of it I heard was from people outside of NI.

Cannot emphasise enough, there was not going to be a return to any major trouble, zero. The usual suspects were there before 31st Dec and are there now, no change. Bit more motivated? Maybe, mass recruitment? Not a fucking chance.

This can be sorted via pragmatic working and we need to take the peace threatening talk out.

• Options
    edited February 2021

kinabalu said:

Ah, the Brecht solution:

And elected another?

Boring! Knew I'd see that. Not what I mean at all. I mean persuade, explain - preach even - rather than just tamely accept the tacitly dim and patronizing view of the British people held by populist politicians of the right. They are in the box seat now but it will soon change. So this is not the time to concede an inch to their inherently dispiriting world view. Flags away. Flags away.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Labour had the chance, not to change the electorate, but to introduce a fairer way of delivering its representation, having explicitly promised to do so in its manifesto. That Labour reneged on this promise, led astray by the hubris of its false parliamentary majorities, is surely the biggest political misjudgment it has made during our lifetime.
  • Options

Hey Justice for Salmond guys, here's who you're travelling with.

https://twitter.com/CraigMurrayOrg/status/1356699711890145284?s=20

Almost as amusing is one of the replies from Ms. Adwoa Oni, Newark, CA, USA, via Olgino, St Petersburg.

https://twitter.com/adwoaoni/status/1356863828194070530?s=20

Oh ok, I'll just stop wanting Salmond to be treated justly then - thanks for making the right course of action so clear.
    I'm sorry that your (recently acquired) desire for justice for Salmond can be so easily deflected by something I've said. Might try saying other stuff to you if it's that easy.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

The electorate are very reluctant to have scales removed from eyes.

I mean, they kept voting for Salmond and Sturgeon.....
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    maaarsh said:

HYUFD said:
    Undoubtedly that is the mood of the country, it's also frankly push polling to state the true downside for 1 option, without properly stating the outcome on the other (rather than 'even if lockdown lasts longer' try 'even if that means services are cut deeply for the next decade')
    Absolutely. Enormous subsidies, a huge propaganda campaign and fear mongering are keeping people in line.

You have to say, the government is pretty good at it. For now.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

MattW said:

Fishing said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Fishing said:

Yorkcity said:

What SHOULD happen is that the economy should be restored to health through a construction boom, as their prices rise and people find it cheap to borrow to build them. That's what happened in the mid-1930s in the Midlands and southern England and it's why so much of our housing stock dates from those few years.

But that doesn't happen these days, because it is so difficult to build houses anywhere people might actually want to live.

So what happens instead is that people make money trading already existing houses and other assets (like cryptocurrencies and other shit) as their prices boom. Does nothing for bona fide economic activity, but makes speculators a fortune.
    A lot of people don't trust new houses. Although I did buy a new house I would be wary of doing it again. I think my current view is that I'm supportive of less planning controls if its combined with better consumer protection in regards to buying said new homes.

The government has scrapped their proposed planning reforms haven't they?
    I actually find them too well insulated.

Used to older houses and flats, which were designed to have air flows...
    I'm the opposite. I wouldn't want to live anywhere that wasn't built to current building regulations. I'm spoilt by having the heating on pretty much all the time and yet still paying £45 a month for gas and electric.

The sweet spot for me I think is buying somewhere around 5 years old. It has had time to settle and it's a physical property you can inspect, both the house and its surroundings.
    Anything hotter than 17 degrees celsius for me is unbearable....just get sleepy all the time.
    I don't mind it if it's natural heat, but there's something about artificial heat, like fierce air-conditioning, that's pretty unbearable. I only turn my heating on for a couple of weeks a year when it gets really cold.
    The benefit of having good insulation and modern radiators is that you can run the flow temperature rather low. The boiler is then much more efficient and the heat is much less harsh.
    If you have good insulation and decent airtightness, you usually won't need a boiler.

I know someone who has a newbuild (self-built) house which is fine for him and mrs, and has plumbed a 1.4kw electric water heater into his to now unneeded ufh piping system to run for a couple of hours to warm it up a little for when his adult kids come to stay.
    You will if its built by a large-scale commercial builder! My house will drop from around 20 deg C to 17 deg C overnight currently. However it will heat up quickly and solar gain is usually enough outside of the winter months.
    Would find it really hard to sleep at 17 degrees!

I remember once kipping in an overseas friend's room in a building that the college thought was empty. I'm sure it was about 5 degrees, inside. I was fully clothed in two sleeping bags and still cold....
  • Options
    "Best of the Handforth Parish Council Planning & Environment Committee Thursday 10th December 2020"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgGmYeAm0jk
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Ah, the Brecht solution:

And elected another?

Boring! Knew I'd see that. Not what I mean at all. I mean persuade, explain - preach even - rather than just tamely accept the tacitly dim and patronizing view of the British people held by populist politicians of the right. They are in the box seat now but it will soon change. So this is not the time to concede an inch to their inherently dispiriting world view. Flags away. Flags away.
    What if, and bear with me on this, it's the majority that have something to teach you?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

During the war Labour used the political breathing space to develop a truly radical blueprint for the better society it wanted to see after the war - much of it drawn from inter-war liberal thinking (such as the Beveridge report); securing election in 1945 on the back of this programme, the extent of change it achieved during its first term was breathtaking - the creation of the NHS, the modern welfare state, and the groundbreaking Planning Act.

Where are the signs that anyone on the centre or left of politics is even thinking about the same amount of heavy lifting for the 21st century?

Taking the widest historical view, the left of politics has always concerned itself with the radical changes needed to march society toward a better future (the consequences of such are for another day). Where is such a vision today? If Labour in 2024 simply puts itself forward as a more credible team of technocratic managers than the current lot, they are surely doomed.

Beveridge Report was nothing to do with the Labour Party in isolation.
    What was in isolation with the Labour Party was to vote for the European Medicines Agreement.

Interestingly, my keyboard suggestion came up with 'Medieval'. It would have been appropriate I suppose.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Yokes said:

The problem with the protocol is in the detail, whether deliberate or accidental.

The GFA had two fundamentals for individuals
    The right of anyone living here to choose their citizenship as Irish or British. Has not changed due to Brexit. I can have two passports if I want by dint of my address.

The concept that you can travel across borders between NI/ROI/GB. This is called the common travel area, has not changed and has been in play for decades EU or no EU. I believe the Brexit agreement left that untouched.

The problem is trade, not free movement of people. That the two have intertwined is one problem, because they shouldn't have been intertwined. In short someone didn't do their detail or someone is doing too much detail.

This shouldn't be an identity issue, its an issue of doing business and for the umpteenth time, NI's biggest market, by far, for trade in and out is GB. That's all there is to it, you have customs regulations and checks on stuff to and from ROI its got a lot smaller impact than what is happening now. Some fucking whizz concluded, however, that this was a bigger problem when the stats on trade would have told you that it wasn't.

Somehow the 'oh my god they will be burning down border posts' shit kicked off. You know how much of that came from the NI parties of all stripes? Actually not a lot. Most of it I heard was from people outside of NI.

Cannot emphasise enough, there was not going to be a return to any major trouble, zero. The usual suspects were there before 31st Dec and are there now, no change. Bit more motivated? Maybe, mass recruitment? Not a fucking chance.

This can be sorted via pragmatic working and we need to take the peace threatening talk out.

It always stunned me that anyone even mentioned that peace would be threatened.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    kinabalu said:

I am not sure why anyone who aspires to govern the UK would particularly want the broad mass of people to care less about its success. The solution is not to hope people become less patriotic, but to advertise 'real' patriotism - the kind that shuns flag waving pomposity but quietly toils away till 2am wrestling with how to overcome non-tariff barriers etc. etc. REAL Government, REAL Patriotism.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,276

Alistair said:

Up here in bonnie Scotland my group 6 wife is off to get her vaccine tomorrow.

What happened to your group 1-5 wives?
    Divorced beheaded died, divorced beheaded...
    https://youtu.be/NhjClYzwhJQ
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Think on.
    Sheepish confession, I profited because I took the other side. But you take my point. Do not go thinking Labour cannot win a GE here - and soon - from the left. It's sterile, sloppy groupthink. They can. They totally can.
    Naturally. In reality, I'm the least complacent person about a left-wing resurgence you could possibly meet. That's why I think Boris should bayonet them (metaphorically) while they're down.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Your best post ever.

OK, it’s not the highest of bars, but you cleared it with style :)
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

And, let's be honest, there's an important strand of the government that is tying to do the same thing. "Britannia Unchained" is all about the idea that the British Public need to raise their eyes to the far horizon and work harder to take opportunities on the other side of the world.

What if Liz Truss invites us all to a party on the other side of the world, and nobody from Britain turns up?

(But yes. From the perspective of a politically homeless Clarkeite ex-Conservative, Labour needs to be more relaxed about having flags in the backdrop. I've said that Cool Britannia or the Spirit of 2012 is the way to do this.)
    The international website of the DfiD (Liz Truss's department) is rather well branded, for a foreign audience.

https://www.great.gov.uk/international/?lang=en-gb

There are fewer flags on the UK version, aimed at exporters.

https://www.great.gov.uk/?lang=en-gb
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

https://youtu.be/NhjClYzwhJQ
    Similarly, when we get the chance, everyone should go and see Six The Musical. It's great.

https://youtu.be/EhkTEb8mMD8
This discussion has been closed.