Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This Ridge interview with Johnson just three days before GE2019 looks problematical for the PM – pol

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

I don't understand any of this. To me it just looks screamingly corrupt. Day after day this stuff gets murkier and murkier.

And yet they get away with it. Or am I, as a non Scottish stone sex-toy craftsman, missing some crucial aspect which makes it all OK?

No you're not. It is more and more like something from the eastern bloc before the wall came down.

Complaints made under a procedure for Former Ministers which did not even exist when the complaint was made
    Politicians and party hacks asking the police what evidence they needed so it can be "provided"
    Pressure being applied to the police to charge
    Discussions between the Scottish government and Crown Office on the most efficacious way to get a conviction
    Meetings "forgotten" and off the record discussions
    The resistance of the judicial review in the hope that criminal proceedings would "supersede" it to the point that responsible counsel threatened to withdraw at a cost to the Scottish government of over £500k.

Don't get me wrong, I am still of the view that Salmond was seriously fortunate to get the result that he did but if we go on like this we will have Putin taking notes.
    My viewpoint is that Salmond is as dodgy as f*** with incredibly wandering hands but sadly not blatant enough for a court to be able to deal with it.
    I confess that I was bewildered by the Jury decision at the time and called it wrong. The noises off in the Faculty pointed towards a conviction too. But it does appear that the Jury got the impression that this was some sort of conspiracy and more than a bit contrived. Wonderful things juries, an essential protection from tyranny.
    My view was that Salmond was a randy, handsy old lech, and this, whilst not criminal, became enough to be a crime when combined with the fact that the victims were subordinates, working for Salmond with so much to lose (as they felt) for Scottish independence. I thought an unfavourable jury could have convicted.

Given that for some of the allegations, the person concerned was not even present, I now have more sympathy for the jury's decision. What seems abundantly clear is that, deserved or undeserved, Salmond was the victim of a campaign to destroy his reputation and put him in jail, by his former colleagues.
    Don't forget the original matter came to a head at the peak of the MeToo stuff.
  • Options

Leon said:

UK R

from case data

from hospitalisations

R is proving very stubborn?
    I think this is the R you get with the current lockdown + current versions of the virus.
    And it's enough. Remember back when Supercovid emerged, and there were genuine fears that British-style lockdowns wouldn't be enough to get cases down?

Nowhere's out of the woods yet, but it looks like we've picked a good time to be alive.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
    Leon said:

UK R

from case data

from hospitalisations

R is proving very stubborn?
    The point about R is this, it reflects the level of restrictions, NOT the level of infection. As the level of restrictions hasn't changed since Jan 4th, you should expect the R to stay the same too. This is NOT understood well enough by the public, the press, the TV or indeed most of the politicians. The number who have been waiting for R to fall further, when no change has been made to restrictions, is just ridiculous.

And don't forget, not long ago there was a fear that the Kent variant had added 0.7 to the R across the board. Clearly that is NOT how R works, it must be a proportioned increase.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,272

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

I don't understand any of this. To me it just looks screamingly corrupt. Day after day this stuff gets murkier and murkier.

And yet they get away with it. Or am I, as a non Scottish stone sex-toy craftsman, missing some crucial aspect which makes it all OK?

No you're not. It is more and more like something from the eastern bloc before the wall came down.

Complaints made under a procedure for Former Ministers which did not even exist when the complaint was made
    Politicians and party hacks asking the police what evidence they needed so it can be "provided"
    Discussions between the Scottish government and Crown Office on the most efficacious way to get a conviction
    The resistance of the judicial review in the hope that criminal proceedings would "supersede" it to the point that responsible counsel threatened to withdraw at a cost to the Scottish government of over £500k.

Don't get me wrong, I am still of the view that Salmond was seriously fortunate to get the result that he did but if we go on like this we will have Putin taking notes.
    My viewpoint is that Salmond is as dodgy as f*** with incredibly wandering hands but sadly not blatant enough for a court to be able to deal with it.
    I confess that I was bewildered by the Jury decision at the time and called it wrong. The noises off in the Faculty pointed towards a conviction too. But it does appear that the Jury got the impression that this was some sort of conspiracy and more than a bit contrived. Wonderful things juries, an essential protection from tyranny.
    My view was that Salmond was a randy, handsy old lech, and this, whilst not criminal, became enough to be a crime when combined with the fact that the victims were subordinates, working for Salmond with so much to lose (as they felt) for Scottish independence. I thought an unfavourable jury could have convicted.

Given that for some of the allegations, the person concerned was not even present, I now have more sympathy for the jury's decision. What seems abundantly clear is that, deserved or undeserved, Salmond was the victim of a campaign to destroy his reputation and put him in jail, by his former colleagues.
    Even criminals deserve the protection of due process, and it begins to seem, just from a cursory look, that if he had been convicted then the conviction would have to be quashed as unsafe due to the procedural abuses.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

UK hospitals

Admissions now well below the April peak.

The NHS has coped better than I feared it might when I was looking ahead in December.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

20,634 new covid cases - 915 deaths

A while since a mid-week number below 1,000?
    Best news is the admissions - 2,375. That's dropping like a stone now (good old lockdown, plus a bit of vaccine).
    20k new cases a bit weird though - thought that was going to be on more of a downward trajectory, but if anything it is bouncing up.
    If people have come forward for mass-testing in the postcodes people were worried about South Africa Covid in, then you would expect an increase in cases due to asymptomatic carriers being detected that were otherwise missed.

Ireland is expecting a similar bump in cases because they've restarted testing contacts again.
    What's our 'case industry' for, if not to dredge up cases for SAGE to keep up imprisoned?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

Fishing said:

Yorkcity said:

Just read the the BoE has kept interest rates at 0.1%.but as warned negative rates are coming.
    What effect will negative rates have ?

What SHOULD happen is that the economy should be restored to health through a construction boom, as their prices rise and people find it cheap to borrow to build them. That's what happened in the mid-1930s in the Midlands and southern England and it's why so much of our housing stock dates from those few years.

But that doesn't happen these days, because it is so difficult to build houses anywhere people might actually want to live.

So what happens instead is that people make money trading already existing houses and other assets (like cryptocurrencies and other shit) as their prices boom. Does nothing for bona fide economic activity, but makes speculators a fortune.
    A lot of people don't trust new houses. Although I did buy a new house I would be wary of doing it again. I think my current view is that I'm supportive of less planning controls if its combined with better consumer protection in regards to buying said new homes.

The government has scrapped their proposed planning reforms haven't they?
    I actually find them too well insulated.

Used to older houses and flats, which were designed to have air flows...
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Leon said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Whether Salmond is a sex pest or not (seems very likely he is, but perhaps not criminally so) is now a second order issue.

The primary point is that the Scottish government apparently and illegally conspired to get him arrested, tried to make sure he was convicted, got rumbled when Salmond was acquitted. And yet now the same government is perverting the course of the inquiry set up to see if the government did anything wrong.

As David says, it is the kind of thing you see in one party states.

Add that to the primary school literature with the SNP logo?

Scotland is in a very unhealthy place.
    Their national dish is deep fried mars bars - how more unhealthy could it be?
    It's not. It's the national dish of English tyourists in Sxcotland. Not quite the same thing.
    What can I sneer at then? (Its the only reason I go anywhere)
    The pasty white (then red) burned Glaswegian flesh in the parks on the one hot day of the year?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Yorkcity said:

Just read the the BoE has kept interest rates at 0.1%.but as warned negative rates are coming.

What SHOULD happen is that the economy should be restored to health through a construction boom, as their prices rise and people find it cheap to borrow to build them. That's what happened in the mid-1930s in the Midlands and southern England and it's why so much of our housing stock dates from those few years.

But that doesn't happen these days, because it is so difficult to build houses anywhere people might actually want to live.

So what happens instead is that people make money trading already existing houses and other assets (like cryptocurrencies and other shit) as their prices boom. Does nothing for bona fide economic activity, but makes speculators a fortune.
    A lot of people don't trust new houses. Although I did buy a new house I would be wary of doing it again. I think my current view is that I'm supportive of less planning controls if its combined with better consumer protection in regards to buying said new homes.

Every house is a new house at some point, but it's become a synonym for a Persimmon shitbox
    Yes, and that's yet another unintended consequence of the planning regulations.

Big builders are the only ones with the money and time to negotiate the planning system and lobby politicians to release land, so the public have to put up with whatever they are given. While in continental Europe, most new houses (60% in France and Germany, 80% in Austria) are self-built, so people can build high-quality properties for themselves. Really, the difference in quality if you look around when you can travel there is absolutely striking.

The one part of the UK with European levels of self-build - Northern Ireland - is the one part without a huge housing crisis.
    There is what is essentially a new suburb of Newcastle currently being built called "Great Park" in which a certain number of plots were reserved for self build projects. I was involved in designing and installing renewable energy provision for some of them. They seemed to be popular but they were very much a "premium" product.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

On topic (well, someone has to be..) - Yes, this is a really serious problem for the government, entirely of its own making, of course. It's not just that interview, it has been many months of outright lying about the border in the Irish sea. Even without that lying they'd still be in a pickle; the practical effects of that border are not going to go away. As some wag on Twitter put it, "The UK has achieved a world first by being in a free trade area smaller than its own borders".

Of course, some of the problems are temporary, although no more excusable for that reason - after it's hardly a surprise that unwritten computer systems don't work, or that you can't magic up customs agents and vets overnight, or that businesses given a few days' notice of the biggest one-day disruption of trading rules in peacetime haven't been able to figure out how to work the new rules. But most of the problems are structural. What's more, we are still in the grace periods for implementing the full rules. Those grace periods are currently set to fall away by July, when things will get even worse. Perhaps if we're nice to the EU, we might persuade them to extend those deadlines a bit, although if we're going to go begging for favours it might not be a bad idea to accord full diplomatic status to their ambassador - a gesture which, though completely cost-free, seems to be too expensive for this government of obstinate ideologues.

However, Mike is wrong to say that 'an obvious solution is to create a united Ireland'. That's not a solution at all; it would actually make the present problem worse. In the current setup, the island doesn't have much of a problem with the north-south border (although there are some issues, for example on services). The friction is mainly at the NI-GB interface, thanks to the rejection of Theresa May's backstop in favour of the Boris carve-up.

So, what is the solution?

I have no idea. Nor, it seems, does anyone else.

Rejoin the EU?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Fishing said:

Yorkcity said:

I'm the opposite. I wouldn't want to live anywhere that wasn't built to current building regulations. I'm spoilt by having the heating on pretty much all the time and yet still paying £45 a month for gas and electric.

The sweet spot for me I think is buying somewhere around 5 years old. It has had time to settle and it's a physical property you can inspect, both the house and its surroundings.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Fishing said:

Yorkcity said:

I'm the opposite. I wouldn't want to live anywhere that wasn't built to current building regulations. I'm spoilt by having the heating on pretty much all the time and yet still paying £45 a month for gas and electric.

The sweet spot for me I think is buying somewhere around 5 years old. It has had time to settle and it's a physical property you can inspect, both the house and its surroundings.
    Anything hotter than 17 degrees celsius for me is unbearable....just get sleepy all the time.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2021
    Sir Keir Starmer has denied reports he had a heated confrontation with Boris Johnson after the pair clashed during Prime Minister's Questions on Wednesday.

The Labour leader told broadcasters on a visit to an NHS vaccination centre in Watford that the reports - which claimed he was led away from Johnson - were untrue and that he and the PM merely continued their discussion of issues raised during the weekly exchange.

The Labour leader used his visit to the Watford centre - which is set up in the corner of a large Asda supermarket - to suggest the government was in "chaos" over what to do about people arriving from abroad.

"I'm really worried about the chaos and confusion on the government's borders policy," Starmer said, adding: "We're in a race now - virus against vaccination. Let's secure our borders."

----

I remember when the tw@tterati were outraged that Boris went to some vaccination centres....Starmer seems to go to even more than him.

One thing not being picked up on, yesterday Team Red were complaining that the mass testing for Saffers COVID wasn't covering a wide enough area. Today, Team Red in Wales, have side oh no we aren't going to mass test for it, although we have some community transmission cases.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

ping said:

Does anyone have a solution to boris’s severe NornIron difficulty.

Is there a solution that can please everyone?

Just askin’

I have a solution, I shall be publishing it on Sunday.
    I look forward with interesting as, as far as I can see the problem is completely unfixable...
  • Options

UK hospitals

The NHS has coped better than I feared it might when I was looking ahead in December.

Does it matter? the powers that be have moved the goalposts, as Sunak has pointed out. We're on to cases now, even though those are not threatening for young people, and are meant to be much less threatening for older folk.

Yeah well, whatever keeps us locked down, I guess
  • Options
    felix said:

I think with London it's the nature of the beast. Much more transient. Large proportion of those for a variety of reason more sceptical. Probaly records less accurate , etc, etc.
    Also the priority groups currently being targeted make up a smaller percentage of the population, I guess ?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427

UK hospitals

Thanks a large number of intelligent people who looked at what happened in March and thought about how they could stretch the system next time.

Lessons learned and all that.

The problem is that because it worked, they (NHS management/medical staff) won't get any credit for this success.

To my mind, someone should be writing people up for gongs.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:
    Hmm. That's actually going to be slightly underwhelming I think.

Will end up being pretty much bang on the required rate – I was hoping for a bumper couple of days, given the widespread snowy weather forecast for next week.
    Friday through to Sunday are the days where we will hopefully smash the run-rate. If the other 4 days of the week average around the 400k daily mark then we should make the Feb 15th target with 2 or 3 days to spare.
    Also, does it REALLY matter if we miss the target by a day or two? No. The govt has - in this case - done a fantastic job.

When the target was announced I remember many on here (and many amongst my friends) scoffing with derision at the mere idea they'd achieve this. Now it looks certain they will do it, or get as near as dammit, so it doesn't matter.

The main thing is to KEEP IT UP so we can vax all priority groups - ie ME - by mid March. Then we are really set to have sex again, sorry, open up the country.
    More than KEEP IT UP, need to go to infinity and beyond. 1 million a day capacity should be the aim.
    As we did with testing.

Also, as with testing, I doubt we will reach 1m a day, but - like testing - 600-700,000 should be doable. 1% of the country every day, for day after day.
    We've already had a 600k day, so I would really hope that we'll hit 1m some days.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Fishing said:

Yorkcity said:

Anything hotter than 17 degrees celsius for me is unbearable....just get sleepy all the time.
    I don't mind it if it's natural heat, but there's something about artificial heat, like fierce air-conditioning, that's pretty unbearable. I only turn my heating on for a couple of weeks a year when it gets really cold.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Don't forget the original matter came to a head at the peak of the MeToo stuff.
    And that in the wake of the action against Mark McDonald MSP they had the perfect opportunity to target former First Ministers....
  • Options

ping said:

Just askin’

Does it involve listing all the options and selecting one in a vote conducted by AV?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    rpjs said:

On topic (well, someone has to be..) - Yes, this is a really serious problem for the government, entirely of its own making, of course. It's not just that interview, it has been many months of outright lying about the border in the Irish sea. Even without that lying they'd still be in a pickle; the practical effects of that border are not going to go away. As some wag on Twitter put it, "The UK has achieved a world first by being in a free trade area smaller than its own borders".

Of course, some of the problems are temporary, although no more excusable for that reason - after it's hardly a surprise that unwritten computer systems don't work, or that you can't magic up customs agents and vets overnight, or that businesses given a few days' notice of the biggest one-day disruption of trading rules in peacetime haven't been able to figure out how to work the new rules. But most of the problems are structural. What's more, we are still in the grace periods for implementing the full rules. Those grace periods are currently set to fall away by July, when things will get even worse. Perhaps if we're nice to the EU, we might persuade them to extend those deadlines a bit, although if we're going to go begging for favours it might not be a bad idea to accord full diplomatic status to their ambassador - a gesture which, though completely cost-free, seems to be too expensive for this government of obstinate ideologues.

However, Mike is wrong to say that 'an obvious solution is to create a united Ireland'. That's not a solution at all; it would actually make the present problem worse. In the current setup, the island doesn't have much of a problem with the north-south border (although there are some issues, for example on services). The friction is mainly at the NI-GB interface, thanks to the rejection of Theresa May's backstop in favour of the Boris carve-up.

So, what is the solution?

I have no idea. Nor, it seems, does anyone else.

Rejoin the EU?
    Ireland leaves?
  • Options

UK hospitals

Thanks a large number of intelligent people who looked at what happened in March and thought about how they could stretch the system next time.

The problem is that because it worked, they (NHS management/medical staff) won't get any credit for this success.

I think by stretch, Dec / Jan, we were talking the elastic right at the absolute limit....
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Will end up being pretty much bang on the required rate – I was hoping for a bumper couple of days, given the widespread snowy weather forecast for next week.
    Friday through to Sunday are the days where we will hopefully smash the run-rate. If the other 4 days of the week average around the 400k daily mark then we should make the Feb 15th target with 2 or 3 days to spare.
    Also, does it REALLY matter if we miss the target by a day or two? No. The govt has - in this case - done a fantastic job.

When the target was announced I remember many on here (and many amongst my friends) scoffing with derision at the mere idea they'd achieve this. Now it looks certain they will do it, or get as near as dammit, so it doesn't matter.

The main thing is to KEEP IT UP so we can vax all priority groups - ie ME - by mid March. Then we are really set to have sex again, sorry, open up the country.
    More than KEEP IT UP, need to go to infinity and beyond. 1 million a day capacity should be the aim.
    As we did with testing.

Also, as with testing, I doubt we will reach 1m a day, but - like testing - 600-700,000 should be doable. 1% of the country every day, for day after day.
    We've already had a 600k day, so I would really hope that we'll hit 1m some days.
    Have we got to the bottom of why the final day each week is always the highest, yet?

I could understand Sat/Sun being lower. But why are some weekdays so much lower than others, consistently?
  • Options

After yesterday’s PMQs theatre, Labour reluctantly admitted Starmer had called for UK membership of the European Medicines Agency post-Brexit. Guido can reveal Starmer went further than merely talking the talk – he voted for an amendment in 2018 that would have seen the UK bound into EMA membership. The amendment in question was New Clause 17 to the 2018 Trade Bill, which read:

“It shall be the objective of an appropriate authority to take all necessary steps to implement an international trade agreement, which enables the UK to fully participate after exit day in the European medicines regulatory network partnership between the European Union, European Economic Area and the European Medicines Agency.”

During the epic May-era parliamentary battle, Starmer, along with 240 Labour MPs, two sitting Tories and others – voted for this, trying to ensure the UK made it a negotiating objective “to participate in the European medicines regulatory network partnership between the EU, EEA and the European Medicines Agency”. At the time proclaiming this would ensure patients continue “to have access to high-quality, effective and safe pharmaceutical and medical products, fully aligned with the member states of the EU and EEA.” Keir might be be hoping we have forgotten, Guido is not convinced his famously forensic legal brain would have really forgotten...

https://order-order.com/2021/02/04/starmer-voted-to-keep-uk-in-the-ema/

This story feels very much like a #10 sting and something they were extremely bad at all of last year.

They have dug out a specific and topical example of where old Remainer Starmer was consistently doing everything possible to keep the UK in the EU....and then helpfully pointed a friendly gossip monger to where to go looking.

There'll be plenty more examples I have no doubt. SKS would no doubt love us to forget that the was one of the very senior movers and shakers in trying to get Brexit overturned by any means possible.

Expect any election campaign to have a few more ready to drop on SKS's toe.
  • Options

ping said:

Just askin’

Does it involve listing all the options and selecting one in a vote conducted by AV?
    No - everyone in NI puts Radiohead on the stereo. Starts a new career in Python programming. While eating pineapple pizza.
  • Options
    Even the Tory Party needs to up their flag waving, Rule Britannia singing, game.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-vaccine-updates-02-04-21/h_3d96e0765677dcf6617fd51dbfa8efce

A CDC ensemble forecast predicts there could be more than 530,000 US Covid-19 deaths by Feb. 27 — about one fatality for every minute of the pandemic.

The CDC director said increasing data suggests the UK coronavirus variant may be deadlier than the original strand.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Fishing said:

Yorkcity said:

I don't mind it if it's natural heat, but there's something about artificial heat, like fierce air-conditioning, that's pretty unbearable. I only turn my heating on for a couple of weeks a year when it gets really cold.
    I never quite understand the turn on/off the heating thing - it's seems archaic in the age of thermostats. In the age of thermostats per room doubly so. Just set a minimum temperature and leave it alone?
  • Options

UK hospitals

Either that or the truth was stretched by monopoly service that, now openly and manifestly, puts itself above anything and everything (protect the NHS!!) and refuses to countenance or even hinders surge expansion, mothballing nightingale hopsitals etc.

Its one of the two...or a mixture of both.

Anyway now the NHS been saved after all, the goalposts have moved and we're now obsessed with cases, which are the best way to keep us locked down at the moment, pending something else.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

As we did with testing.

Have we got to the bottom of why the final day each week is always the highest, yet?

I could understand Sat/Sun being lower. But why are some weekdays so much lower than others, consistently?
    Deliveries perhaps a bit uncertain. You don't know until some point on Monday what have been delivered into the system. So you don't take delivery until some point Tuesday - and then can't start getting people through the doors and jabbing at warp speed until Wedneday?
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Fishing said:

Yorkcity said:

The benefit of having good insulation and modern radiators is that you can run the flow temperature rather low. The boiler is then much more efficient and the heat is much less harsh.
  • Options
    Their schools will be open soon, giving their poor kids at least some chance. What about you Hancock?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

UK hospitals

Everyone needs to be writing people up for gongs, because those that hand them out can only go with people who have been nominated.

The upper echelons of the Civil Service are good at doing this with each other, so nominations of those further down the food chain really need to come from members of the public.

We need to find the ward sister who's managed people around the place for months without a day off, the food bank volunteer making sure people don't slip through the net, the person responsible for an innovation that led to better outcomes for patients...
  • Options
    About 15 per cent of Britons are refusing the coronavirus jab and uptake rates are lowest among ethnic minorities, Britain's vaccine tsar revealed today.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9223723/Around-15-Britons-refusing-Covid-vaccine-uptake-lower-BAME-groups.html
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Yorkcity said:

One effect will be me crying like a disgraced televangelist.

Savers are a persecuted minority.
    Not really - half the purpose of this monetary policy is to keep stock markets rolling, so savers just have to be in the asset classes they're being directed towards and they're still doing fine.
    Yes and never mind this discriminates against poorer, unsophisticated savers and favours rich equity investors like, erm, PBers and anyone else who has heard of half the firms George Osborne worked for.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

Sir Keir Starmer has denied reports he had a heated confrontation with Boris Johnson after the pair clashed during Prime Minister's Questions on Wednesday.

The Labour leader told broadcasters on a visit to an NHS vaccination centre in Watford that the reports - which claimed he was led away from Johnson - were untrue and that he and the PM merely continued their discussion of issues raised during the weekly exchange.

The Labour leader used his visit to the Watford centre - which is set up in the corner of a large Asda supermarket - to suggest the government was in "chaos" over what to do about people arriving from abroad.

"I'm really worried about the chaos and confusion on the government's borders policy," Starmer said, adding: "We're in a race now - virus against vaccination. Let's secure our borders."

----

I remember when the tw@tterati were outraged that Boris went to some vaccination centres....Starmer seems to go to even more than him.

One thing not being picked up on, yesterday Team Red were complaining that the mass testing for Saffers COVID wasn't covering a wide enough area. Today, Team Red in Wales, have side oh no we aren't going to mass test for it, although we have some community transmission cases.

Was Starmer wearing a Union flag at the vaccine centre? A poor effort if he wasn't.
  • Options
    More than 100 Public Health England workers have been given a Covid jab despite not falling into any of the priority categories, the Guardian can reveal.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/04/concerns-raised-over-queue-jumping-as-phe-workers-given-covid-vaccine
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Fishing said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Fishing said:

Yorkcity said:

The benefit of having good insulation and modern radiators is that you can run the flow temperature rather low. The boiler is then much more efficient and the heat is much less harsh.
    Mr GG - I think you said below that you were 21? I'm totally hat's off to you if you can afford to worry about the harshness of your heating environment.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kle4 said:

Study reveals extent of Covid vaccine side-effects

About one in three people recently given a Covid vaccine by the NHS report some side-effects.

Most were mild, such as soreness around the injection site, and resolved in a day or two, the UK researchers who gathered the feedback said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55932832

Would you class soreness where you have just been jabbed with a needle a side-effect of the vaccine?

Even if that is the correct way to record it it seems tailor made for reporting misunderstands.
    The old anti-vaxxers like Macron will love to tell everybody how 1 in 3 people get side-effects.
    Not to support Manu - who I've gone right off for now - but just to report on my experience of the jab. It's well known that I haven't had it but my parents have (age) and so has my brother and partner (health workers). Oxford and Pfizer respectively. All 4 of them felt rough for 48 hours afterwards. Like a quick flu. I don't know how common that is but it's 100% for my sample.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Fishing said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Fishing said:

Yorkcity said:

Mr GG - I think you said below that you were 21? I'm totally hat's off to you if you can afford to worry about the harshness of your heating environment.
    I'm actually 28. 29 tomorrow in fact.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

As we did with testing.

Deliveries perhaps a bit uncertain. You don't know until some point on Monday what have been delivered into the system. So you don't take delivery until some point Tuesday - and then can't start getting people through the doors and jabbing at warp speed until Wedneday?
    I was wondering the other day whether we are seeing end-of-week reporting of vaccination drives. My GPO just did a 4 day push - nothing but vaccinations for 4 days.

You get a bunch of people lined up with appointments, and the vaccine ordered in. Do the drive and report the numbers at the end?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Omnium said:

Fishing said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Fishing said:

Yorkcity said:

I'm actually 28. 29 tomorrow in fact.
    Even so, and happy birthday for tomorrow.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

About one in three people recently given a Covid vaccine by the NHS report some side-effects.

Most were mild, such as soreness around the injection site, and resolved in a day or two, the UK researchers who gathered the feedback said.

Would you class soreness where you have just been jabbed with a needle a side-effect of the vaccine?

Even if that is the correct way to record it it seems tailor made for reporting misunderstands.
    The old anti-vaxxers like Macron will love to tell everybody how 1 in 3 people get side-effects.
    Not to support Manu - who I've gone right off for now - but just to report on my experience of the jab. It's well known that I haven't had it but my parents have (age) and so has my brother and partner (health workers). Oxford and Pfizer respectively. All 4 of them felt rough for 48 hours afterwards. Like a quick flu. I don't know how common that is but it's 100% for my sample.
    My wife is a health worker. She and all her colleagues got jabbed in the last 2 weeks. All have good medical knowledge, no hypochondriacs.

2 of them had Pfizer - no adverse effects. About 8 had AZ - all reported at least mild adverse effects: headaches, mild flu-ey symptoms. One ill enough to be off work for 3 days.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543

After yesterday’s PMQs theatre, Labour reluctantly admitted Starmer had called for UK membership of the European Medicines Agency post-Brexit. Guido can reveal Starmer went further than merely talking the talk – he voted for an amendment in 2018 that would have seen the UK bound into EMA membership. The amendment in question was New Clause 17 to the 2018 Trade Bill, which read:

“It shall be the objective of an appropriate authority to take all necessary steps to implement an international trade agreement, which enables the UK to fully participate after exit day in the European medicines regulatory network partnership between the European Union, European Economic Area and the European Medicines Agency.”

During the epic May-era parliamentary battle, Starmer, along with 240 Labour MPs, two sitting Tories and others – voted for this, trying to ensure the UK made it a negotiating objective “to participate in the European medicines regulatory network partnership between the EU, EEA and the European Medicines Agency”. At the time proclaiming this would ensure patients continue “to have access to high-quality, effective and safe pharmaceutical and medical products, fully aligned with the member states of the EU and EEA.” Keir might be be hoping we have forgotten, Guido is not convinced his famously forensic legal brain would have really forgotten...

This story feels very much like a #10 sting and something they were extremely bad at all of last year.

They have dug out a specific and topical example of where old Remainer Starmer was consistently doing everything possible to keep the UK in the EU....and then helpfully pointed a friendly gossip monger to where to go looking.

Doh. It's hardly a revelation that Starmer wanted to stay in, or as close as possible to, the EU back in 2018, is it? I suspect that's well known, and he can't change that. What's important now is that he has accepted that Brexit has happened and any prospect of rejoining is very distant.

It smacks a bit of desperation to land a killer blow on Starmer, and will fail. Maybe the Tories, and Guido, should focus on what he's said/done since he became leader.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

Boris Johnson lying?

Well I am

S
    T
    U
    N
    N
    E
    D

While true can you name a single politician that you believe tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

I have long suspected that the PPE course contains a large module on "How to lie and not give way to grinning inanely because I can't believe people are buying my bullshit"
    I am sure that won't be its name though. I will ask my son periodically if he has covered lying to the media in a convincing way yet.
    It will probably get some fancy name like "Dissemination of non binary information"
    That sounds rather woke
    Well there is a pb first , I am being accused of being woke....my mind is boggled
    There are plenty less woke than you.
    blinks I genuinely have no idea whether to take that as a compliment or an insult. I just tend to say what I think rather than try and be part of some club
    Compliment. I use don't use "woke" as an insult. The word was stolen and besmirched by the Right. I intend to wrestle it back.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Yeah my parents both had mild side effects. My mum has the Pfizer jab and she had a dead arm, headache and mild temperature for the next few days. My mum said my dad had a full blown case of man flu after his AZ jab.
  • Options

About 15 per cent of Britons are refusing the coronavirus jab and uptake rates are lowest among ethnic minorities, Britain's vaccine tsar revealed today.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9223723/Around-15-Britons-refusing-Covid-vaccine-uptake-lower-BAME-groups.html

Keep an eye on that on, could be used by SAGE as a lockdown maintaining excuse going forward. They are looking for them, as Sunak as intimated.

Now all over 50s have to be vaccinated for anything significant to happen!

April 07! hooray!
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Apparently the current acceptance rate for vaccine offers is 85%, so 25.5m jabs to cover all in the 30m tiers 1-9 who want it.

10.5m already done, and we're rapidly heading towards 3m a week, so decent shout of covering the at risks groups in 5 weeks time, c. March 10th 3 weeks ahead of Easter.
  • Options
    One day inside a Covid vaccination hub

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-55932884
  • Options
    https://www.bupa.com/newsroom/news/teen-minds-living-through-a-pandemic-and-beyond

How we are destroying young people's lives, as scientists and politicians obsess
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Vaxometer

(First dose, all four nations)

Target 15,000,000
    Thru 10,490,487
    Remaining 4,509,513

Days to target 11
    Yesterday's rate 469,016
    Required rate 409,955

RR heading down. Would be helpful if you could add yesterday's numbers in brackets, at least for the RR. If it's too much hassle then don't worry about it.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

My wife is a health worker. She and all her colleagues got jabbed in the last 2 weeks. All have good medical knowledge, no hypochondriacs.

2 of them had Pfizer - no adverse effects. About 8 had AZ - all reported at least mild adverse effects: headaches, mild flu-ey symptoms. One ill enough to be off work for 3 days.
    Interesting. I have no side effects at all from AZ yet - but it is only 48 hours.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I love the word 'problematic'. It's like 'inappropriate'

It's nicely understated.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    It is a big problem for Labour, as it was for Dems in the US for most of the last 4 years. And that worked out OK in the end without Biden wrapping himself in the Stars n' Bars.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

As we did with testing.

I was wondering the other day whether we are seeing end-of-week reporting of vaccination drives. My GPO just did a 4 day push - nothing but vaccinations for 4 days.

You get a bunch of people lined up with appointments, and the vaccine ordered in. Do the drive and report the numbers at the end?
    Unlikely imo.

All the checks were done online in my centre, so the stats collection is probably just a module on the server side.

Unless maybe household checks and care homes etc are on a batch system.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    maaarsh said:

Apparently the current acceptance rate for vaccine offers is 85%, so 25.5m jabs to cover all in the 30m tiers 1-9 who want it.

10.5m already done, and we're rapidly heading towards 3m a week, so decent shout of covering the at risks groups in 5 weeks time, c. March 10th 3 weeks ahead of Easter.

Yep that sounds about right.

Also, we will need to factor in infection-conferred immunity too.

I think by Easter things could be looking rather positive.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

What is the problem that negative rates is trying to solve?

It has the whiff of economic collapse around it. If the intention is to get me to spend my savings by taking a cut of them away from me every month then I think it's misguided. My natural inclination would be to conclude that the economy is in so much trouble that I should save more, but keep it in cash in a safe, or abroad, or somewhere other than a bank deposit anyway.

Agreed - what is the bext option here if not withdrawing the money?
  • Options
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Interesting. I have no side effects at all from AZ yet - but it is only 48 hours.
    My Mum is due to be done in the next week. I haven't relayed this anecdotal info to her, as she is very nervous about anything medical, and of course it is still clearly better to be jabbed than not.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722

Doh. It's hardly a revelation that Starmer wanted to stay in, or as close as possible to, the EU back in 2018, is it? I suspect that's well known, and he can't change that. What's important now is that he has accepted that Brexit has happened and any prospect of rejoining is very distant.

It smacks a bit of desperation to land a killer blow on Starmer, and will fail. Maybe the Tories, and Guido, should focus on what he's said/done since he became leader.
    Staying in the European Medicines Agency was the policy of the May government in 2018, of which Boris Johnson was a member.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

200k signatures to give Captain Tom a state funeral.

Isn't this all getting a bit much now?

People have got nothing to do other than argue with each other on Facebook and sign petitions.
  • Options
    As predicted, she has suddenly become populated with people who likely did not like her before.
  • Options

Vaxometer

Target 15,000,000
    Thru 10,490,487
    Remaining 4,509,513

Days to target 11
    Yesterday's rate 469,016
    Required rate 409,955

Perhaps worth mentioning the 7 day average is now 430,531?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Because of course Labour would never mention anything Boris said or did before he became leader, would they? I think the fact that Starmer would have locked us into the EU's godawful vaccine non-roll-out might just be of some interest to the voters...
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Fishing said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Fishing said:

Yorkcity said:

If you have good insulation and decent airtightness, you usually won't need a boiler.

I know someone who has a newbuild (self-built) house which is fine for him and mrs, and has plumbed a 1.4kw electric water heater into his to now unneeded ufh piping system to run for a couple of hours to warm it up a little for when his adult kids come to stay.

BUT the challenge in modern houses is always the water heating not the space heating, as it is far higher demand.

There are interesting solutions - SUNAMP phase-change heat battery and PV solar is one - but it is now reasonably normal to split the two systems.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

People have got nothing to do other than argue with each other on Facebook and sign petitions.
    HE IS A SAINT. WE MUST NAME BORIS'S NEXT CHILD AFTER HIM.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Umm, isn't funeral attendance restricted to a dozen people at the moment?

There's only one person who would get a state funeral this year, and she's very much locked up in Windsor not seeing anyone.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Still not sure what happens to the 4.5m who say "Nope....". That's quite a sump for reinfection come the autumn.
  • Options
    The US government has said it is "deeply disturbed" by a BBC report detailing allegations of systematic rape of Uighur women in Chinese camps.

"These atrocities shock the conscience and must be met with serious consequences," a spokesperson said.

A UK government minister, Nigel Adams, said in parliament on Thursday that the report showed "clearly evil acts".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55930344
  • Options

Even the Tory Party needs to up their flag waving, Rule Britannia singing, game.
    Gods forbid.

It may be one of those things where the image of the party's mean the actuality is pretty irrelevant, like how they say the Tories can get away with cutting defence and Labour can get away with messing with the NHS, but not vice versa? So people just feel like the Tories are more patriotic.

As long as Labour don't pick someone who aggravates the public's sense of their own patriotism, I think they are fine - I think people get a bit embarrased by overly effusive displays, but they also don't want to feel judged for their own feelings about their country.
  • Options
    Dangerous products remain for sale on Wish

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55934656

Who buys anything from Wish...as if ebay doesn't have enough fake tat on it, why would you go near that site which is 99.9% tat or fake tat.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Fishing said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Fishing said:

Yorkcity said:

If you have good insulation and decent airtightness, you usually won't need a boiler.

I know someone who has a newbuild (self-built) house which is fine for him and mrs, and has plumbed a 1.4kw electric water heater into his to now unneeded ufh piping system to run for a couple of hours to warm it up a little for when his adult kids come to stay.
    You will if its built by a large-scale commercial builder! My house will drop from around 20 deg C to 17 deg C overnight currently. However it will heat up quickly and solar gain is usually enough outside of the winter months.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

rest assured, a reason will be dreamed up why you have to stay in lockdown. Right now the favourites are

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

Something will come along.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

maaarsh said:

Still not sure what happens to the 4.5m who say "Nope....". That's quite a sump for reinfection come the autumn.
    If we get to 85% vaccinated plus whomever had had COVID and not been vaccinated, we shall almost certainly be at herd immunity.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Vaxometer

Target 15,000,000
    Thru 10,490,487
    Remaining 4,509,513

Days to target 11
    Yesterday's rate 469,016
    Required rate 409,955

RR heading down. Would be helpful if you could add yesterday's numbers in brackets, at least for the RR. If it's too much hassle then don't worry about it.
    Great idea, will do so.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

And of course the demographic of people most likely to suffer the worst with COVID are the ones refusing the vaccine.
  • Options
    Roger said:

It's nicely understated.

It's silly, and you need strong language on occasion, but I sometimes enjoy the challenge of putting very strong opinions into diplomatic, 'proper' language.

I think the best I could come up with for noting something was 'insane', as put to me, was that it 'did not withstand reasonable analysis'.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    edited February 2021
    Roger said:

It's nicely understated.

Should it not be problematical? I always think people sound a bit stupid when they say it for that reason. Of course, if I'm wrong, the only stupid one is me.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

What is the problem that negative rates is trying to solve?

It has the whiff of economic collapse around it. If the intention is to get me to spend my savings by taking a cut of them away from me every month then I think it's misguided. My natural inclination would be to conclude that the economy is in so much trouble that I should save more, but keep it in cash in a safe, or abroad, or somewhere other than a bank deposit anyway.

Agreed - what is the bext option here if not withdrawing the money?
    Negative interest rates do some very wierd things, and cause unwanted behaviours such as runs on banks. People will start buying gold and just keeping cash at home, while borrowing every penny they can (it's almost free!) and investing in property, shares and other assets.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Cashing in on Captain Tom: RedBubble website is slammed for 'shamelessly' selling 'tacky' pillows, duvet covers and even mini-skirts emblazoned with the late war hero's face

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9223541/Website-slammed-selling-tacky-Captain-Tom-merchandise.html
  • Options

maaarsh said:

rest assured, a reason will be dreamed up why you have to stay in lockdown. Right now the favourites are

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

I think you will be pleasantly surprised, and restrictions will begin to loosen from Easter.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

Why?
    Why do you think the government wants us to be in lockdown? It's ruining the country's finances.

What possible benefit do you think they get out of this conspiracy?
    Why not ask Rishi Sunak? It was he who pointed out the scientists are moving the goalposts. It was he who pointed out the scientific bar seems to get higher and higher the closer we get to jumping it?

What possible reason could SAGE have for that?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    edited February 2021

MattW said:

Fishing said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Fishing said:

Yorkcity said:

You will if its built by a large-scale commercial builder! My house will drop from around 20 deg C to 17 deg C overnight currently. However it will heat up quickly and solar gain is usually enough outside of the winter months.
    I live in a Victorian property, when I think 'cavity insulation' was considered to be a bowl of porridge in the morning. Those temperatures sound positively CARIBBEAN.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

maaarsh said:

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

Why?
    Why do you think the government wants us to be in lockdown? It's ruining the country's finances.

I believe his answer in the past has been the general point about the corrupting influence of power, particularly as relates to SAGE.

I still say that even if SAGE want that, we're already seeing pushback from Sunak and definitely would others - the more things look 'ok' or the sort of thing you do get during flu season, the less politicians will take up such suggestions to keep us restricted even if they are made.

The goverment can do it because the public are in favour - that will not last.
  • Options
    Hey Justice for Salmond guys, here's who you're travelling with.

https://twitter.com/CraigMurrayOrg/status/1356699711890145284?s=20

Almost as amusing is one of the replies from Ms. Adwoa Oni, Newark, CA, USA, via Olgino, St Petersburg.

https://twitter.com/adwoaoni/status/1356863828194070530?s=20

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

As we did with testing.

We did over 750k a couple of days last week. Frankly the way cases keep falling we're very close to the point where false positives becomes a very live discussion again.
    We are a way off from that. Get to about 1000 cases per day and then yes, the false positive rate will be relevant. I'd like to think the numbers being tested will fall, but I wonder if some of it is workplace related, rather than symptomatic only?
    Well, current positivity rate is already within the band of previous estimates for the false positive rate - clearly the current steep decline gives decent comfort that the real false positive number must be a bit lower, but we're on course for a positivity rate under 2% in the next 10 days or so, so it bears watching.
    The false positive rate is a lot closer to 0.1% than to 2%.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

maaarsh said:

Mutant strains
    Poor take up of vaccines
    stubbornly high cases

Why?

Why not ask Rishi Sunak? It was he who pointed out the scientists are moving the goalposts. It was he who pointed out the scientific bar seems to get higher and higher the closer we get to jumping it?

What possible reason could SAGE have for that?
    That was the question you were asked. They are quibbling over whether to unlock this week or next week, not whether to throw away the key.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    I really don't know what will happen on Northern Ireland. The Protocol arrangement doesn't look sustainable to me. I was surprised Johnson negotiated that arrangement. Will the UK try to soften Brexit and therefore reduce differences between UK/NI/EU? Possible in the medium to long term, but I doubt Northern Ireland will be the driver of that. United Ireland isn't a great option either. Return to a Pre-Troubles hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland even worse.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

For those who refuse to take a vaccine, they'll have to deal with that as the country opens up. They'll find it difficult to get on a plane, get a new job, or their kids enrolled in school.

How to deal with those who genuinely can't take one, that's more difficult. They'll need to be isolated until the virus has almost gone if they're in the high risk groups.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Vaxometer

Target 15,000,000
    Thru 10,490,487
    Remaining 4,509,513

Days to target 11
    Yesterday's rate 469,016
    Required rate 409,955 ( ↓ from 414,877 yesterday)

The only way they'll miss it is if there is a supply issue.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2021

Hey Justice for Salmond guys, here's who you're travelling with.

twitter.com/CraigMurrayOrg/status/1356699711890145284?s=20

Almost as amusing is one of the replies from Ms. Adwoa Oni, Newark, CA, USA, via Olgino, St Petersburg.

twitter.com/adwoaoni/status/1356863828194070530?s=20

What's Conspiracy Craig getting done for?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Yeah my parents both had mild side effects. My mum has the Pfizer jab and she had a dead arm, headache and mild temperature for the next few days. My mum said my dad had a full blown case of man flu after his AZ jab.
    Not quite man flu in my case but limb-, back- and head-aches. No elevated temperature. Greatly relieved by woollie long-johns.

This discussion has been closed.