Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

This Ridge interview with Johnson just three days before GE2019 looks problematical for the PM – pol

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2021 in General
This Ridge interview with Johnson just three days before GE2019 looks problematical for the PM – politicalbetting.com

#Ridge – This Govt document says there will be checks & forms both ways between GB & NI… are you telling the truth?Boris Johnson – Yes I am ?#Ridge – So absolutely everybody is wrong & you're right?Johnson – Yes#GE2019 #marr pic.twitter.com/CCLNfSstS8

Read the full story here

Comments

• Primus inter pares.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    About 10th.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243
    edited February 2021
    First? (Edit: by which I mean first outside the podium places)

Not sure this is that big a problem. Johnson's a fibber, we all knew that, didn't we? He still won big in 2019.

It's a bit like news emerging that he's cheated on his partner* again, it's baked in.

*I actually can't remember her name - last I remember is Marina, is that the most recent ex?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited February 2021
    I brought the same thing up when our new MP knocked on my door canvassing.

Mind you he was a lawyer so I treated his answer with the appropriate level of respect and voted for the other candidate...
  • Selebian said:

First?

Not sure this is that big a problem. Johnson's a fibber, we all knew that, didn't we? He still won big in 2019.

It's a bit like news emerging that he's cheated on his partner again, it's baked in.

It is more confusing when he is being honest!
  • One thing I remember somebody who knows Boris Johnson quite well said sticks in the mind.

'Boris Johnson isn't lying, he means it when he says it.'
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    First, like the EU's vaccine programme!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,835
    Brom said:
    It's all good but the Wales and Scottish numbers are definitely superior to England today.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,629

Boris Johnson lying?

Well I am

S
    T
    U
    N
    N
    E
    D

While true can you name a single politician that you believe tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

I have long suspected that the PPE course contains a large module on "How to lie and not give way to grinning inanely because I can't believe people are buying my bullshit"
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,951
    Brom said:
    Ahead of the required run-rate I think.....
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Pagan2 said:

To be clear there is nothing wrong with arguing against this or any other header. Absolutely not, I dont agree with the tone of it myself, although it does make some good points and gets us to reflect.

The issue is the hysterical response, threats to leave the site and criticising the author rather than the merits or not of the argument.

I agree that posting a threat to leave the site is just dumb.

If you want to leave the site, you can just leave it ... quietly. You won't be missed. No need to post, just go.

None of us would be missed, if we were to stop posting.

OTH, criticising Meeks is perfectly fine. He doles it out aplenty, so he can take it.

The thread header writers are not red squirrels. They are not an endangered species needing protection.
    I slightly disagree, there are some on here whose opinions I value very much indeed. Its good to have different view points made, and often made very well indeed. So much better than echo chambers of social media. I would miss some of you...
    Who has threatened to leave the site? Just wondering.
    Don't think it was a regular poster
    Just someody who said he had been here 15 years. Mostly lurking I guess. But then, I wonder how more lurkers we lose to the relentless Boris bashing?
    Probably the same number we lost when Mike was accused of being anti Gordon Brown, or I was accused of being anti Ed Miliband, or those golden times in late 2016/17 I was accused of being anti Theresa May when I said she was a pound shop Gordon Brown in spite of polling really highly.

2020 was PB's biggest year ever, but YoY, PB seems to go up and up in terms of site traffic.

Thanks to all the writers, tipsters, and posters. In a nutshell I come to read the generally informed and broad based political comments. It is more informative than the BBC and newspapers. A significant number literally put their money where their mouth is. It's a great site.

• NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    edited February 2021
    Duplicate
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Brom said:
    Yes very much so. 7 days ago England managed 252,992 so thats a big increase.

Gearing up for some record figures being announced on Saturday and Sunday if trends continue.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    Brom said:
    Hmm. That's actually going to be slightly underwhelming I think.

Will end up being pretty much bang on the required rate – I was hoping for a bumper couple of days, given the widespread snowy weather forecast for next week.
  • Brom said:
    Need to send in Stokes and Butler finish this job off...
  • "But then, I wonder how more lurkers we lose to the relentless Boris bashing?"

If one was putting money on political events, I'd look at any signs of group-think and adjust my strategy accordingly.
    Pulpstar said:

Brom said:
    It's all good but the Wales and Scottish numbers are definitely superior to England today.
    I don't think it's going to be that good TBH.

Will run the numbers for the Vaxometer when the NI figures arrive.

Snow next week in the south and east a concern.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    As per the discussion on the last thread these really big events - covid/brexit - are such that its not reasonable to expect the government (or the opposition) to navigate without mistakes and amendments.

With covid there's an obvious big plus for the government with the vaccine programme (and also for the other parties who didn't try to oppose the huge commitments early on)

With Brexit its less clear, but to my mind the current situation is a pretty good outcome.

I think therefore that the problems arising from all this will get lots of headlines, but won't be too damaging. I also think that in England and Wales there's a little bit of weariness concerning the general barrage of hostility from Scottish and Irish politicians.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

One thing I remember somebody who knows Boris Johnson quite well said sticks in the mind.

Didn't one poster here report that Boris was charming, but that after our friend had shaken his hand he always counted his fingers? Or something like that.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Brom said:
    250k last week - so for first 3 days of the week England is tracking 200k doses ahead of last week (which was 2.35m in total). Well on target for vaccinating all over 50s 2 weeks prior to Easter. Good luck telling people to avoid loved ones at Easter then, with quiet hospitals and very low case levels.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    Selebian said:

It's a bit like news emerging that he's cheated on his partner* again, it's baked in.

*I actually can't remember her name - last I remember is Marina, is that the most recent ex?

I believe Marina is the most recent ex-wife. I am not sure she is the most recent cheated on partner.

Brom said:

Will end up being pretty much bang on the required rate – I was hoping for a bumper couple of days, given the widespread snowy weather forecast for next week.
    It's the biggest day on day 1 week increase in pretty much the entire roll out. Seriously cheer up.
  • My dad had his first jab today. Uncertain if mum can have it, as she's got allergies. Hopefully she'll be ok for at least one of the countless ordered varieties.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    edited February 2021
    A united Ireland is of course not the solution at all given the issue is an Irish Sea border with GB. There is already an open border between Ireland and NI so a United Ireland would make no difference to that but make the Irish Sea border even worse and antagonise Unionists even further, extreme elements of whom likely formerly affiliated to loyalist paramilitaries are already threatening border guards at NI ports
  • Brom said:

it is by some margin the best Wednesday figure we've had.

You're not wrong to hold them to a high standard, but that's what it is...

One thing I remember somebody who knows Boris Johnson quite well said sticks in the mind.

Didn't one poster here report that Boris was charming, but that after our friend had shaken his hand he always counted his fingers? Or something like that.
    Remember when we used to shake hands with people, and politicians would shake hundreds of hands a day?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Brom said:

~460k for the day, it's ahead of the target rate but yes, agreed, it's underwhelming imo.

Brom said:

Friday through to Sunday are the days where we will hopefully smash the run-rate. If the other 4 days of the week average around the 400k daily mark then we should make the Feb 15th target with 2 or 3 days to spare.
  • maaarsh said:

Brom said:
    250k last week - so for first 3 days of the week England is tracking 200k doses ahead of last week (which was 2.35m in total). Well on target for vaccinating all over 50s 2 weeks prior to Easter. Good luck telling people to avoid loved ones at Easter then, with quiet hospitals and very low case levels.
    Strong showing in England, 381,076 total, up 26% vs yesterday and 128,084 a week ago, first, 378,794 up 126,892 and second 2,282 up 1,192
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    MaxPB said:

Brom said:

~460k for the day, it's ahead of the target rate but yes, agreed, it's underwhelming imo.
    Well very underwhelming compared to France
  • Brom said:

Yep

https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1357341845899022345?s=20
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2021
    MaxPB said:

Brom said:

Is Holland really push it they might have done that many in the whole of Feb....
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Saving money ought to be something people are encouraged to do IMO, not sneeringly described by the BBC News Channel as "squirrelling away".

My dad had his first jab today. Uncertain if mum can have it, as she's got allergies. Hopefully she'll be ok for at least one of the countless ordered varieties.

Congratulations to your Dad, and good luck to your Mum. IIRC it was only the Pfizer vaccine that had allergy issues, the AZ one didn't have the same problems - but they monitor everyone afterwards anyway.
    maaarsh said:

Brom said:
    The way I look at it is Easter is the first target to ensure all over 50s have had jab 1 (ideally mid March so the effect can kick in). Then Euro 2020 is the 2nd target where all over 50s should be twice jabbed and under 50 adults given their first dose.

These are the 2 biggest events in the calendar where there are risks regarding large scale transmission.
  • London always seem back of the pack..

https://twitter.com/RP131/status/1357340633631924230?s=20
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

My dad had his first jab today. Uncertain if mum can have it, as she's got allergies. Hopefully she'll be ok for at least one of the countless ordered varieties.

FWIW, Mr Dancer, I anaphylax to penicillin. I am hoping that by the time I am offered the jab, we'll have more information about precisely which allergies are relevant. To my knowledge, I have no allergies to any of the ingredients of any of the vaccines, so would hope to be able to get my jab regardless. To be safe, I'll go with my wife and an epi pen.
    Andy_JS said:

Saving money ought to be something people are encouraged to do IMO, not sneeringly described by the BBC News Channel as "squirrelling away".

To be fair saving money is probably for most folk a fairly stupid idea as their realistic personal rate of inflation is probably far higher than the rate they get from saving. Economically therefore saving costs them money long term. Set against that its good to have money for a rainy day
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    Quiet, Hodges! Some of us are quietly backing her as next party leader.
    Higher bame figures therefore higher antivaxers maybe?
    edited February 2021
    Yep I noticed this when I was looking at the 80+ cohort vaccinated, London a fair way below. Logistically it'll be the easiest place to do I think. Also no snowfalls there recently (Unlike up north).
    Must have more difficulty getting people to accept jabs there perhaps.
    Pagan2 said:

Higher bame figures therefore higher antivaxers maybe?
    Younger population in general.
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Friday through to Sunday are the days where we will hopefully smash the run-rate. If the other 4 days of the week average around the 400k daily mark then we should make the Feb 15th target with 2 or 3 days to spare.
    Also, does it REALLY matter if we miss the target by a day or two? No. The govt has - in this case - done a fantastic job.

When the target was announced I remember many on here (and many amongst my friends) scoffing with derision at the mere idea they'd achieve this. Now it looks certain they will do it, or get as near as dammit, so it doesn't matter.

The main thing is to KEEP IT UP so we can vax all priority groups - ie ME - by mid March. Then we are really set to have sex again, sorry, open up the country.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    TimT said:

FWIW, Mr Dancer, I anaphylax to penicillin. I am hoping that by the time I am offered the jab, we'll have more information about precisely which allergies are relevant. To my knowledge, I have no allergies to any of the ingredients of any of the vaccines, so would hope to be able to get my jab regardless. To be safe, I'll go with my wife and an epi pen.
    My wife is allergic to penicillin, Mr T, and had no problems whatsoever.
    Pagan2 said:

Andy_JS said:

To be fair saving money is probably for most folk a fairly stupid idea as their realistic personal rate of inflation is probably far higher than the rate they get from saving. Economically therefore saving costs them money long term. Set against that its good to have money for a rainy day
    in practice, saving for most people means paying down their double digit credit card debt, or investing in a S&S ISA - admittedly there are some silly people stuck in the middle trying to get 0.5% 3 year fixed on cash who need their heads looking at.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    edited February 2021
    From a Fianna Fáil MEP and former Irish minister.
    https://twitter.com/BillyKelleherEU/status/1357316427267588100
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Just read the the BoE has kept interest rates at 0.1%.but as warned negative rates are coming.
    What effect will negative rates have ?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Age demographic of London?

Prob lower than other areas at a SWAG?
  • Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Also, does it REALLY matter if we miss the target by a day or two? No. The govt has - in this case - done a fantastic job.

When the target was announced I remember many on here (and many amongst my friends) scoffing with derision at the mere idea they'd achieve this. Now it looks certain they will do it, or get as near as dammit, so it doesn't matter.

The main thing is to KEEP IT UP so we can vax all priority groups - ie ME - by mid March. Then we are really set to have sex again, sorry, open up the country.
    More than KEEP IT UP, need to go to infinity and beyond. 1 million a day capacity should be the aim.
    Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Surely as an artisinal dildo flint knapper you are firmly B Ark material?

Brom said:

Yep

I understand why weekend figures are lower (tho reported a day or two later). What I don't understand is why it rises THROUGH the week. Some backlog effect, or do we really jab loads more on Friday than Tuesday?
    Yorkcity said:

Just read the the BoE has kept interest rates at 0.1%.but as warned negative rates are coming.

Fucks up investment.
  • Yorkcity said:

One effect will be me crying like a disgraced televangelist.

Savers are a persecuted minority.
  • Leon said:

Brom said:

Yep

I understand why weekend figures are lower (tho reported a day or two later). What I don't understand is why it rises THROUGH the week. Some backlog effect, or do we really jab loads more on Friday than Tuesday?
    New deliveries perhaps?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,544

Once you abandon any thought about whether what you're saying is true or not, faking sincerity becomes much easier.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,873

Brom said:

Bear in mind that's for (checks notes) Tuesday, not yesterday, and the way the weekly rise goes, expect bigger and bigger days ahead. Even more centres opened this week.

From a Fianna Fáil MEP and former Irish minister.
    https://twitter.com/BillyKelleherEU/status/1357316427267588100

Das Popkornmoment

The EU is brilliant at passing the buck, and avoiding blame, but can they evade this question? If they can pin it on someone, surely that someone has to resign
    maaarsh said:

Pagan2 said:

Andy_JS said:

in practice, saving for most people means paying down their double digit credit card debt, or investing in a S&S ISA - admittedly there are some silly people stuck in the middle trying to get 0.5% 3 year fixed on cash who need their heads looking at.
    Frankly anyone with a credit card that doesnt pay it off each month cannot be counted among the fiscally sensible in any case
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Yorkcity said:

Hopefully it will make my mortgage really cheap.
    Fewer eligible people.

Yorkcity said:

One effect will be me crying like a disgraced televangelist.

Savers are a persecuted minority.
    Not really - half the purpose of this monetary policy is to keep stock markets rolling, so savers just have to be in the asset classes they're being directed towards and they're still doing fine.

Yorkcity said:

It won't, the banks will need to recoup their costs somewhere. Negative rates are a seriously rubbish idea.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    Senator Hawley setting himself up to be the leading social conservative in the Senate

https://twitter.com/HawleyMO/status/1357345544834715653?s=20
    MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

It won't, the banks will need to recoup their costs somewhere. Negative rates are a seriously rubbish idea.
    My variable rate tracker is a certain % above the BoE base rate but to be honest I haven't read the documentation in regards to what happens if rates go below zero.

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

My variable rate tracker is a certain % above the BoE base rate but to be honest I haven't read the documentation in regards to what happens if rates go below zero.
    Maybe they'll start paying you :D
  • MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

Some would say my 5-year fix at 1.77% is "really cheap" already...
  • HYUFD said:
    To be fair who else would admit to being from Middlesbrough.

I mean what is Middlesbrough famous for? Being smoggies.
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

Maybe they'll start paying you :D
    If only. I imagine they'd kick me onto a different product?
  • I'm not sure that Boris was lying. I am more certain that he is fucking clueless and had no idea what he was saying/signing
  • Mr. Sandpit, cheers for that info.

Mr. T, don't think she's that bad, but swelling's not great when it affects (or could affect) the airways. But given how many vaccine types we've got on order something should work.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    MaxPB said:

Fewer eligible people.
    Indeed. We apparently have less vaccine per capita than anywhere else in the country, yet are now well into Priority Group 6, whereas most other regions seem to still be on 4/5.

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

If it's an old mortgage then it won't have anything written, if it's a new one it probably includes a clause which protects them from negative rates and sets the base at 0%. It also sucks for savers and for current account users who will get rinsed with charges.

It's just an all round rubbish idea. I'd rather thdy go for extra QE and send bond rates negative than the base rate negative. It's a monetary cul de sac.
    maaarsh said:

Brom said:

It's the biggest day on day 1 week increase in pretty much the entire roll out. Seriously cheer up.
    It will only end up being about bang on the required rate I think, but will crunch the numbers later when I have the NI figures.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

I think that pun's been Donne already:

'I wonder, by my troth, what thou and I
    Did, till we loved? Were we not weaned till then?
    But sucked on country pleasures, childishly?'

TimT said:

My wife is allergic to penicillin, Mr T, and had no problems whatsoever.
    Thanks for that info, Mr Cole
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

Brom said:

There has been widespread snow this week too.
  • MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

My first mortgage back in 2000 was 7% fixed for 2 years and was the best deal at the time.
  • HYUFD said:

One of my distant relatives help found Dunedin.

Am I about to be cancelled?

Brom said:

Bear in mind that's for (checks notes) Tuesday, not yesterday, and the way the weekly rise goes, expect bigger and bigger days ahead. Even more centres opened this week.

Sure, but I'm simply reading the numbers as they are.

I'm not sure why @maaarsh is so against my doing so.

If we do 700k tomorrow, then great.

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

More than KEEP IT UP, need to go to infinity and beyond. 1 million a day capacity should be the aim.
    As we did with testing.

Also, as with testing, I doubt we will reach 1m a day, but - like testing - 600-700,000 should be doable. 1% of the country every day, for day after day.
    Yorkcity said:

Negative interest rates do some very weird things, as the financial systems are simply not set up for it.

It could lead to asset and stock price spikes, people hoarding cash under the mattress, investment in pensions, gold and other commodities will likely rise, as will things like art and classic cars.

The expectation would also be for a severe dose of inflation, which changes behaviours again towards assets and stocks, and away from cash holdings.
  • HYUFD said:

One of my distant relatives help found Dunedin.

Am I about to be cancelled?
    No, Dunedin is effectively New Edinburgh, and Edinburgh is awesome.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

My first mortgage back in 2000 was 7% fixed for 2 years and was the best deal at the time.
    I had to pay 15.5% at one point in the 90s. Equally in 2008 I had a base rate +0.25% deal - I was borrowing more cheaply than the banks.
    Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Absolutely it matters for exactly the reasons you allude to.

Beating the target will inspire confidence, and help smash through the gloom.

15 million by Valentine's Day.

Let's do this.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Leon said:

Brom said:

Yep

I wondered if big deliveries of vaccines arrive on Wednesdays.

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Exactly right.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Boris Johnson lying?

Well I am

S
    T
    U
    N
    N
    E
    D

I expect no one told him so he could say it with confidence.
    Pulpstar said:

Yep I noticed this when I was looking at the 80+ cohort vaccinated, London a fair way below. Logistically it'll be the easiest place to do I think. Also no snowfalls there recently (Unlike up north).
    Must have more difficulty getting people to accept jabs there perhaps.

Two snowfalls in my part of London so far this winter but nothing like what they have had up north.

Next week could be a rather different matter though!
    Sandpit said:

Yorkcity said:

Negative interest rates do some very weird things, as the financial systems are simply not set up for it.

It could lead to asset and stock price spikes, people hoarding cash under the mattress, investment in pensions, gold and other commodities will likely rise, as will things like art and classic cars.

The expectation would also be for a severe dose of inflation, which changes behaviours again towards assets and stocks, and away from cash holdings.
    Well we should all have some small conceable fungible things anyway stored away. I know I have some gold sovereigns for when I need to flee the country in a hurry
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Yorkcity said:

Well we should all have some small conceable fungible things anyway stored away. I know I have some gold sovereigns for when I need to flee the country in a hurry
    Does that happen often? :wink:
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited February 2021
    Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

I had to pay 15.5% at one point in the 90s. Equally in 2008 I had a base rate +0.25% deal - I was borrowing more cheaply than the banks.
    That was one of the things that terrified me about getting a mortgage was sky high interest rates in the 80s and 90s. It was why I was so keen to pay off my mortgage within 5 to 10 years.

The advice I've given to so many of my friends I gave to my friends who took out mortgages from 2008 onwards was to pay your mortgage as quickly as possible, I said interest rates of <0.5% won't last long, a decade later they thank me.

In hindsight I'm so grateful to my mother (and my father and grandmother) for insisting and helping me to get a mortgage aged 21.
    AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Yep

I wondered if big deliveries of vaccines arrive on Wednesdays.
    My Dad said he got a phone call this morning for the jab today at 5, so perhaps Coventry got a bumper crop they weren't expecting (Grp 5).

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Yorkcity said:

Does that happen often? :wink:
    Not so far but better to have them and not need them than the other way round
This discussion has been closed.