Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This Ridge interview with Johnson just three days before GE2019 looks problematical for the PM – pol

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:
    Hmm. That's actually going to be slightly underwhelming I think.

Will end up being pretty much bang on the required rate – I was hoping for a bumper couple of days, given the widespread snowy weather forecast for next week.
    Friday through to Sunday are the days where we will hopefully smash the run-rate. If the other 4 days of the week average around the 400k daily mark then we should make the Feb 15th target with 2 or 3 days to spare.
    Also, does it REALLY matter if we miss the target by a day or two? No. The govt has - in this case - done a fantastic job.

When the target was announced I remember many on here (and many amongst my friends) scoffing with derision at the mere idea they'd achieve this. Now it looks certain they will do it, or get as near as dammit, so it doesn't matter.

The main thing is to KEEP IT UP so we can vax all priority groups - ie ME - by mid March. Then we are really set to have sex again, sorry, open up the country.
    I didn't think it really mattered when I thought they couldn't do it, as I certainly dismissed it, and dont think particularly matters now.

That said, there is something cheering in following a daily stat that is unambiguously positive - even when cases and deaths are down one cannot celebrate it too much as its still grim.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

Just read the the BoE has kept interest rates at 0.1%.but as warned negative rates are coming.
    What effect will negative rates have ?

Hopefully it will make my mortgage really cheap.
    It won't, the banks will need to recoup their costs somewhere. Negative rates are a seriously rubbish idea.
    My variable rate tracker is a certain % above the BoE base rate but to be honest I haven't read the documentation in regards to what happens if rates go below zero.
    If it's an old mortgage then it won't have anything written, if it's a new one it probably includes a clause which protects them from negative rates and sets the base at 0%. It also sucks for savers and for current account users who will get rinsed with charges.

It's just an all round rubbish idea. I'd rather thdy go for extra QE and send bond rates negative than the base rate negative. It's a monetary cul de sac.
    I'm far from a natural Labour voter, but if there's one thing that might get me to vote for them is if they promise to put a stop to this nonsense. I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,788
    edited February 2021

ignore -quotes messed up.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Will end up being pretty much bang on the required rate – I was hoping for a bumper couple of days, given the widespread snowy weather forecast for next week.
    Friday through to Sunday are the days where we will hopefully smash the run-rate. If the other 4 days of the week average around the 400k daily mark then we should make the Feb 15th target with 2 or 3 days to spare.
    Also, does it REALLY matter if we miss the target by a day or two? No. The govt has - in this case - done a fantastic job.

When the target was announced I remember many on here (and many amongst my friends) scoffing with derision at the mere idea they'd achieve this. Now it looks certain they will do it, or get as near as dammit, so it doesn't matter.

The main thing is to KEEP IT UP so we can vax all priority groups - ie ME - by mid March. Then we are really set to have sex again, sorry, open up the country.
    Absolutely it matters for exactly the reasons you allude to.

Beating the target will inspire confidence, and help smash through the gloom.

15 million by Valentine's Day.

Let's do this.
    I reckon we will do it, but if we are a day or two off I shan't be taking my pitchfork down Whitehall

All the truly vulnerable people in my extended family (quite a few) have now had the jab. Some have had both doses.

Great job
  • Options
    On topic but FPT the DUP are thick as pig poo.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1357327618278834176
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Endillion said:

MaxPB said:

Fewer eligible people.
    Indeed. We apparently have less vaccine per capita than anywhere else in the country, yet are now well into Priority Group 6, whereas most other regions seem to still be on 4/5.
    From the weekly data just released, London is worst for 75+ in the country, but miles ahead in 70-74 (60% already done vs ~30% everywhere else)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Pulpstar said:

Yep I noticed this when I was looking at the 80+ cohort vaccinated, London a fair way below. Logistically it'll be the easiest place to do I think. Also no snowfalls there recently (Unlike up north).
    Must have more difficulty getting people to accept jabs there perhaps.

Two snowfalls in my part of London so far this winter but nothing like what they have had up north.

Next week could be a rather different matter though!
    Hopefully London is getting more done as a % in the older cohorts. It's tricky to tell as a % of population because London is a younger demographic than rUK.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    dixiedean said:

Brom said:

There has been widespread snow this week too.
    Indeed but next week looks likely to hit a greater proportion of the population. We'll see.

I''m not saying this week is bad, it's decent, but I was simply hoping for slightly more.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    To be fair who else would admit to being from Middlesbrough.

I mean what is Middlesbrough famous for? Being smoggies.
    Surely it is notable for the Transporter Bridge? B ut no doubt you would simply reply that it was so people could get out more quickly and go to Hartlepool.

I had believed that the great navigator actually came from Great Ayton which is well on the way to Whitby, but on checking he was born and lived much of his childhood in Marton which is a suburb of Middlesborough.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

Brom said:

It's the biggest day on day 1 week increase in pretty much the entire roll out. Seriously cheer up.
    It will only end up being about bang on the required rate I think, but will crunch the numbers later when I have the NI figures.
    Your required rate calculations are based on the quaint assumption that all days must contribute equally, which is now clearly not the case.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    edited February 2021
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

Just read the the BoE has kept interest rates at 0.1%.but as warned negative rates are coming.

It won't, the banks will need to recoup their costs somewhere. Negative rates are a seriously rubbish idea.
    Some would say my 5-year fix at 1.77% is "really cheap" already...
    My first mortgage back in 2000 was 7% fixed for 2 years and was the best deal at the time.
    I had to pay 15.5% at one point in the 90s. Equally in 2008 I had a base rate +0.25% deal - I was borrowing more cheaply than the banks.
    That was one of the things that terrified me about getting a mortgage was sky high interest rates in the 80s and 90s. It was why I was so keen to pay off my mortgage within 5 to 10 years.

The advice I've given to so many of my friends I gave to my friends who took out mortgages from 2008 onwards was to pay your mortgage as quickly as possible, I said interest rates of 0.5% won't last long, a decade later they thank me.

In hindsight I'm so grateful to my mother (and my father and grandmother) for insisting and helping me to get a mortgage aged 21.
    BiB - Why? You were wrong*. They could have enjoyed themselves more during the 2010s and taken advantage from negative rates in the 2020s.

* Obviously you should have been right, but the morons at the BoE have other ideas.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

More than KEEP IT UP, need to go to infinity and beyond. 1 million a day capacity should be the aim.
    As we did with testing.

Also, as with testing, I doubt we will reach 1m a day, but - like testing - 600-700,000 should be doable. 1% of the country every day, for day after day.
    We did over 750k a couple of days last week. Frankly the way cases keep falling we're very close to the point where false positives becomes a very live discussion again.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891

Brom said:

Bear in mind that's for (checks notes) Tuesday, not yesterday, and the way the weekly rise goes, expect bigger and bigger days ahead. Even more centres opened this week.
    My assumption is that the vaccine centres don't know exactly how many vaccines they are going to get in the following week or exactly how many people are going to turn up. Once they know that they are going to have more than enough for the people already booked they fit in extra bookings for Thursday and Friday.

This might be completely wrong of course...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Brom said:
    It's all good but the Wales and Scottish numbers are definitely superior to England today.
    Are we sure the England numbers are actual people jagged or is it just eligible people offered one?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

I didn't think it really mattered when I thought they couldn't do it, as I certainly dismissed it, and dont think particularly matters now.

That said, there is something cheering in following a daily stat that is unambiguously positive - even when cases and deaths are down one cannot celebrate it too much as its still grim.
    Oh absolutely. I love getting the daily vax numbers. It really is the light at the end of the tunnel, slowly getting bigger
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Brom said:
    It's all good but the Wales and Scottish numbers are definitely superior to England today.
    Are we sure the England numbers are actual people jagged or is it just eligible people offered one?
    Must be jagged, or else 80+ would be showing near 100% of population everywhere I think.
  • Options
    Leon said:

From a Fianna Fáil MEP and former Irish minister.
    https://twitter.com/BillyKelleherEU/status/1357316427267588100

Das Popkornmoment

The EU is brilliant at passing the buck, and avoiding blame, but can they evade this question? If they can pin it on someone, surely that someone has to resign
    I'm glad someone is following it up because the evasion on it has been pretty brazen considering it nearly precipitated a diplomatic crisis and the explanation is insulting if they expect it to be believed.

But unity wins through.
  • Options
    Looks like the megaphone has been put away.....

https://twitter.com/nickgutteridge/status/1357347558943719426?s=20
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Oh absolutely. I love getting the daily vax numbers. It really is the light at the end of the tunnel, slowly getting bigger
    Let's hope it's not an oncoming train/mutation.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Yorkcity said:

Negative interest rates do some very weird things, as the financial systems are simply not set up for it.

It could lead to asset and stock price spikes, people hoarding cash under the mattress, investment in pensions, gold and other commodities will likely rise, as will things like art and classic cars.

The expectation would also be for a severe dose of inflation, which changes behaviours again towards assets and stocks, and away from cash holdings.
    Well we should all have some small conceable fungible things anyway stored away. I know I have some gold sovereigns for when I need to flee the country in a hurry
    My wife is Ukranian, and they all watched their currency drop 75% against the USD a few years ago. Her family had stacks of Benjamins and gold under the bed. Trying to persuade her to set up an investment account is not easy at the best of times.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Group 8 London will be a big day ^_^;;
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

My first mortgage back in 2000 was 7% fixed for 2 years and was the best deal at the time.
    I had to pay 15.5% at one point in the 90s. Equally in 2008 I had a base rate +0.25% deal - I was borrowing more cheaply than the banks.
    That was one of the things that terrified me about getting a mortgage was sky high interest rates in the 80s and 90s. It was why I was so keen to pay off my mortgage within 5 to 10 years.

The advice I've given to so many of my friends I gave to my friends who took out mortgages from 2008 onwards was to pay your mortgage as quickly as possible, I said interest rates of 0.5% won't last long, a decade later they thank me.

In hindsight I'm so grateful to my mother (and my father and grandmother) for insisting and helping me to get a mortgage aged 21.
    BiB - Why? You were wrong*. They could have enjoyed themselves more during the 2010s and taken advantage from negative rates in the 2020s.

* Obviously you should have been right, but the morons at the BoE have other ideas.
    I think there's a joy and relief when you pay off your mortgage, a joy that you never knew existed until you experience it, and means your house is your own, not the banks, I genuinely mean it when my friends said thanks for the advice.

My mother and a lesser extent my father believe that debt, apart from a mortgage, was the eighth deadliest sin so that is what formed my view to pay off mortgages as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Brom said:
    Disappointed that you're buying into this bullshit narrative, Alistair.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,687
    edited February 2021
    The number that's been exercising the Nats:

https://twitter.com/alextomo/status/1357353244515778561?s=20

Which raises an interesting question. Did "refusals" and "recent COVID infections" only amount to 2% in Scotland?

If so, impressive!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    MaxPB said:

Fewer eligible people.
    So we now have circa 9 million 2nd jabs to give in next 11 weeks in order to meet the 12th week promise.

If we reach 1m jabs per week that would 9m 2nd jabs and only be 2m 1st jabs over 11 weeks ie circa 200k

Capacity needs to go up still further and to double from here to keep the same number of first jabs

Or am i missing something?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

I think there's a joy and relief when you pay off your mortgage, a joy that you never knew existed until you experience it, and means your house is your own, not the banks, I genuinely mean it when my friends said thanks for the advice.

My mother and a lesser extent my father believe that debt, apart from a mortgage, was the eighth deadliest sin so that is what formed my view to pay off mortgages as quickly as possible.
    I paid off my first mortgage and bought a better house.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    edited February 2021
    US Rep. Lynn Cheney (R-Wyoming) retains her post as chair of the House GOP conference, by vote of 144 - 61

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/02/04/takeaways-from-a-head-spinning-night-in-republican-politics-491632
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Yep I noticed this when I was looking at the 80+ cohort vaccinated, London a fair way below. Logistically it'll be the easiest place to do I think. Also no snowfalls there recently (Unlike up north).
    Must have more difficulty getting people to accept jabs there perhaps.

Two snowfalls in my part of London so far this winter but nothing like what they have had up north.

Next week could be a rather different matter though!
    Hopefully London is getting more done as a % in the older cohorts. It's tricky to tell as a % of population because London is a younger demographic than rUK.
    Wasn't Khan complaining the other week that he didn't get enough doses in London, because it was distributed according the the demographics of the targeted groups, rather than a general proportion of the overall population?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

From a Fianna Fáil MEP and former Irish minister.
    https://twitter.com/BillyKelleherEU/status/1357316427267588100

Das Popkornmoment

The EU is brilliant at passing the buck, and avoiding blame, but can they evade this question? If they can pin it on someone, surely that someone has to resign
    I'm glad someone is following it up because the evasion on it has been pretty brazen considering it nearly precipitated a diplomatic crisis and the explanation is insulting if they expect it to be believed.

But unity wins through.
    And of course by evading the blame, the EU has, as in so many other ways in recent days, proved that one of the main Brexiteer arguments was completely right. One of the big problems in Brussels is that there is no accountability, the bureaucracy is so opaque, and undemocratic, you can never find any one to take responsibility, or make them pay for terrible - in this case literally lethal - errors and lies.

Ursula's Vaccinegate could not have done a better job of vindicating all the democracy/sovereignty arguments of the Brexit campaign.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Sandpit said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Yorkcity said:

Negative interest rates do some very weird things, as the financial systems are simply not set up for it.

It could lead to asset and stock price spikes, people hoarding cash under the mattress, investment in pensions, gold and other commodities will likely rise, as will things like art and classic cars.

The expectation would also be for a severe dose of inflation, which changes behaviours again towards assets and stocks, and away from cash holdings.
    Well we should all have some small conceable fungible things anyway stored away. I know I have some gold sovereigns for when I need to flee the country in a hurry
    My wife is Ukranian, and they all watched their currency drop 75% against the USD a few years ago. Her family had stacks of Benjamins and gold under the bed. Trying to persuade her to set up an investment account is not easy at the best of times.
    I think we in the UK have been lucky in as much as we have never had to flee so don't appreciate often the worries from countries that have fled with nothing or watched the bottom fall out of their world financially
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

Sorry, I was winding you up - I agree 100% with your view of debt.
  • Options
    I wonder how long before the words "negative equity" become a thing? If the BoE is going for -ve rates then it must only be because they think house prices are going to absolutely tank.
  • Options
    In todays press conference by Nicola she was asked for details of the managed quarantine plan she announced yesterday.

She said they were still working on it and hope to provide more details next week

She went on to say we already have strict controls on flight arrivals which rather surprised me, and almost sounded like she was backtracking
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Fewer eligible people.
    So we now have circa 9 million 2nd jabs to give in next 11 weeks in order to meet the 12th week promise.

If we reach 1m jabs per week that would 9m 2nd jabs and only be 2m 1st jabs over 11 weeks ie circa 200k

Capacity needs to go up still further and to double from here to keep the same number of first jabs

We're already doing more than 2.5m jabs a week, so your projections based on 1m a week are missing quite a bit.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Fewer eligible people.

First jabs will inevitably slow down when the second jabs come on stream.
    Just an inevitable fact of life really for us in the "rest of population" group. Nothing much to worry about though.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783

Which raises an interesting question. Did "refusals" and "recent COVID infections" only amount to 2% in Scotland?

If so, impressive!

a number will be recent rrivals and transfers which missed the home's vaccination visit
  • Options

Another large box of Northern Irish fudge being delivered to London and Brussels. It's the best type of fudge.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Brom said:

It's the biggest day on day 1 week increase in pretty much the entire roll out. Seriously cheer up.
    It will only end up being about bang on the required rate I think, but will crunch the numbers later when I have the NI figures.
    Your required rate calculations are based on the quaint assumption that all days must contribute equally, which is now clearly not the case.
    No they aren't. Idiotic comment.

They are a useful rule of thumb.

Clearly you are not a cricket fan!
  • Options

Not sure 'shoot down' is entirely appropriate in the context of the Irish customs arrangements
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

I paid off my first mortgage and bought a better house.
    That's what I did too.

I got very lucky in life, I bought a house in London in 2000, sold it seven years later, and bought a mansion ooop North and still had money left over.

My one regret in life, I should have become a landlord and not sold it seven years later. I'm too chicken to think what it might go for now.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Yes that would appear to be a barefaced lie to the public on a very important matter by Prime Minister Boris Johnson. But I'm afraid people don't care anymore. By telling so many porkies so nonchalantly he has ground us down. Even the best of us have grown tired of fighting it. The man feels entitled to do and say whatever he pleases and he's been proved right. "Boris" has won. ✖
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Fewer eligible people.

You aren't, capacity needs to double, which is why the government is still building more vaccination sites so that in three or four weeks we have the capacity to do first and second jabs simultaneously.
  • Options

If so, impressive!

If it is down largely to BAME refusals, then that might be the complete explanation for this difference. The BAME population of England is about 12%? In Scotland it is about 3-4%. Spookily similar to the stats here
  • Options

US Rep. Lynn Cheney (R-Wyoming) retains her post as chair of the House GOP conference, by vote of 144 - 61

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/02/04/takeaways-from-a-head-spinning-night-in-republican-politics-491632

But I was told on here she was toast.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2021
    On topic (well, someone has to be..) - Yes, this is a really serious problem for the government, entirely of its own making, of course. It's not just that interview, it has been many months of outright lying about the border in the Irish sea. Even without that lying they'd still be in a pickle; the practical effects of that border are not going to go away. As some wag on Twitter put it, "The UK has achieved a world first by being in a free trade area smaller than its own borders".

Of course, some of the problems are temporary, although no more excusable for that reason - after it's hardly a surprise that unwritten computer systems don't work, or that you can't magic up customs agents and vets overnight, or that businesses given a few days' notice of the biggest one-day disruption of trading rules in peacetime haven't been able to figure out how to work the new rules. But most of the problems are structural. What's more, we are still in the grace periods for implementing the full rules. Those grace periods are currently set to fall away by July, when things will get even worse. Perhaps if we're nice to the EU, we might persuade them to extend those deadlines a bit, although if we're going to go begging for favours it might not be a bad idea to accord full diplomatic status to their ambassador - a gesture which, though completely cost-free, seems to be too expensive for this government of obstinate ideologues.

However, Mike is wrong to say that 'an obvious solution is to create a united Ireland'. That's not a solution at all; it would actually make the present problem worse. In the current setup, the island doesn't have much of a problem with the north-south border (although there are some issues, for example on services). The friction is mainly at the NI-GB interface, thanks to the rejection of Theresa May's backstop in favour of the Boris carve-up.

So, what is the solution?

I have no idea. Nor, it seems, does anyone else.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Pagan2 said:

Boris Johnson lying?

Well I am

S
    T
    U
    N
    N
    E
    D

While true can you name a single politician that you believe tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

I have long suspected that the PPE course contains a large module on "How to lie and not give way to grinning inanely because I can't believe people are buying my bullshit"
    I am sure that won't be its name though. I will ask my son periodically if he has covered lying to the media in a convincing way yet.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Fewer eligible people.

You aren't, capacity needs to double, which is why the government is still building more vaccination sites so that in three or four weeks we have the capacity to do first and second jabs simultaneously.
    No, he is missing something - his calculation was based on assuming the rate of vaccination more than halves, which is of course the only way you could come up with a claim that we need 8 weeks capacity to give 2nd doses to the people we gave first doses to in the last 4 weeks.
  • Options

Not by yours truly!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

Tangentially it is why I am annoyed for students who rack up lots of debt going to university.

I know most of them won't earn enough to repay it back, but to have that level of debt hanging over your head would scare me at that age.
  • Options

Dont believe PB, have you seen what the Deputy Editor says?
  • Options

Not sure 'shoot down' is entirely appropriate in the context of the Irish customs arrangements
    They should have been invited to "blow it up with Semtex after a ten minute warning from a rusty telephone kiosk outside Newry"
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

I do generally too. However if there's something that you really want to do, and if you 100% know how you're going to repay it then borrowing money is an incredible enabler. Borrowing for a new frock - no. Borrowing for a new factory - yes!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
    maaarsh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

More than KEEP IT UP, need to go to infinity and beyond. 1 million a day capacity should be the aim.
    As we did with testing.

Also, as with testing, I doubt we will reach 1m a day, but - like testing - 600-700,000 should be doable. 1% of the country every day, for day after day.
    We did over 750k a couple of days last week. Frankly the way cases keep falling we're very close to the point where false positives becomes a very live discussion again.
    We are a way off from that. Get to about 1000 cases per day and then yes, the false positive rate will be relevant. I'd like to think the numbers being tested will fall, but I wonder if some of it is workplace related, rather than symptomatic only?
  • Options

Study reveals extent of Covid vaccine side-effects

About one in three people recently given a Covid vaccine by the NHS report some side-effects.

Most were mild, such as soreness around the injection site, and resolved in a day or two, the UK researchers who gathered the feedback said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55932832

Would you class soreness where you have just been jabbed with a needle a side-effect of the vaccine?

Even if that is the correct way to record it it seems tailor made for reporting misunderstands.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    MaxPB said:

Brom said:

~460k for the day, it's ahead of the target rate but yes, agreed, it's underwhelming imo.
    A bit harsh to describe it as underwhelming.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

About one in three people recently given a Covid vaccine by the NHS report some side-effects.

Most were mild, such as soreness around the injection site, and resolved in a day or two, the UK researchers who gathered the feedback said.

Would you class soreness where you have just been jabbed with a needle a side-effect of the vaccine?

Even if that is the correct way to record it it seems tailor made for reporting misunderstands.
    The old anti-vaxxers like Macron will love to tell everybody how 1 in 3 people get side-effects.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

Boris Johnson lying?

Well I am

S
    T
    U
    N
    N
    E
    D

While true can you name a single politician that you believe tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

I have long suspected that the PPE course contains a large module on "How to lie and not give way to grinning inanely because I can't believe people are buying my bullshit"
    I am sure that won't be its name though. I will ask my son periodically if he has covered lying to the media in a convincing way yet.
    It will probably get some fancy name like "Dissemination of non binary information"

Also similar to my son who did a masters in bio chemistry and got het up when I referred to it a bio warfare
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dont believe PB, have you seen what the Deputy Editor says?
    Fortunately I hear his fashion sense is much better than his betting tips.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

Boris Johnson lying?

Well I am

S
    T
    U
    N
    N
    E
    D

It will probably get some fancy name like "Dissemination of non binary information"
    That sounds rather woke
  • Options

Not by yours truly!
    I know, yours are post worth reading and betting on.
  • Options
    Very harsh on Hancock I think who's been on a real roll for months now after a dodgy start. Who are these people who still like Williamson?
  • Options

On topic (well, someone has to be..) - Yes, this is a really serious problem for the government, entirely of its own making, of course. It's not just that interview, it has been many months of outright lying about the border in the Irish sea. Even without that lying they'd still be in a pickle; the practical effects of that border are not going to go away. As some wag on Twitter put it, "The UK has achieved a world first by being in a free trade area smaller than its own borders".

Of course, some of the problems are temporary, although no more excusable for that reason - after it's hardly a surprise that unwritten computer systems don't work, or that you can't magic up customs agents and vets overnight, or that businesses given a few days' notice of the biggest one-day disruption of trading rules in peacetime haven't been able to figure out how to work the new rules. But most of the problems are structural. What's more, we are still in the grace periods for implementing the full rules. Those grace periods are currently set to fall away by July, when things will get even worse. Perhaps if we're nice to the EU, we might persuade them to extend those deadlines a bit, although if we're going to go begging for favours it might not be a bad idea to accord full diplomatic status to their ambassador - a gesture which, though completely cost-free, seems to be too expensive for this government of obstinate ideologues.

However, Mike is wrong to say that 'an obvious solution is to create a united Ireland'. That's not a solution at all; it would actually make the present problem worse. In the current setup, the island doesn't have much of a problem with the north-south border (although there are some issues, for example on services). The friction is mainly at the NI-GB interface, thanks to the rejection of Theresa May's backstop in favour of the Boris carve-up.

So, what is the solution?

I have no idea. Nor, it seems, does anyone else.

All very true.

And yes, a United Ireland is not the solution. The fact there are murmurings of Loyalist violence, because of some customs issues in the Irish Sea, puts paid to that. If SPS inspections on Peppa Pig get the UVF re-tooling, then a Border Poll would see the Troubles 2.0

The only answer I can see is a fudge. A blind eye. A few random inspections. Will the EU be that flexible? They might have to be, and let's face it they are known to happily bend their own rules when it suits THEM
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Brom said:
    Scotland has really pulled its finger out - very good news.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

Tangentially it is why I am annoyed for students who rack up lots of debt going to university.

I know most of them won't earn enough to repay it back, but to have that level of debt hanging over your head would scare me at that age.
    It's really just a graduate tax, but no one wants to call it for what it is. I suppose one day a government might call it in and make it real debt. I doubt it do them much good, though.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

Boris Johnson lying?

Well I am

S
    T
    U
    N
    N
    E
    D

That sounds rather woke
    Well there is a pb first , I am being accused of being woke....my mind is boggled
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited February 2021
    DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

Boris Johnson lying?

Well I am

S
    T
    U
    N
    N
    E
    D

At which point he'll smile winningly at you and say 'Of course not, dad, that's just an urban myth'...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Fewer eligible people.

Thought so, ta.

When people talk about building capacity not sure everybody has factored in the 2nd jabs required likely to be taking up well over 1m slots per week soon.

My local hotel has opened for 1st jabs today but lots of people in Chessy are being offered slots at Sheffield Arena about 15 miles away.

There was an article on Look North at the start of the week about Sheffield Arena. Said people as far away as 70 miles would be offered jabs there as the programme really takes off.
  • Options

Would you class soreness where you have just been jabbed with a needle a side-effect of the vaccine? It seems more a side-effect of a sharp jabbie thing being plunged into your arm.

My wife and I experienced soreness in the arm for 24 hours, but also felt very tired the day after (more than usual)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Brom said:

~460k for the day, it's ahead of the target rate but yes, agreed, it's underwhelming imo.
    A bit harsh to describe it as underwhelming.
    It's the equivalent in one day of the adult population of Manchester. (553k total population, per the Office of National Statistics).
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Yes that would appear to be a barefaced lie to the public on a very important matter by Prime Minister Boris Johnson. But I'm afraid people don't care anymore. By telling so many porkies so nonchalantly he has ground us down. Even the best of us have grown tired of fighting it. The man feels entitled to do and say whatever he pleases and he's been proved right. "Boris" has won. ✖

The lie itself doesn't matter. Unfortunate, but there we go.

However, the reason for the lie does. The reason Boris told that particular lie was that he didn't want to admit that there was a need to choose between Border in the Irish Sea / Border between NI and RoI / Similar-to-identical rules in UK and RoI. Because each of those choices is unacceptable to a significant number of people.

In speeches, newspaper articles (or comments on a top politics blog) it's possible to do jazz hands and claim that that choice isn't strictly necessary, and all we need is a bit of necessity to invent a new better solution. But at the moment that's where we are.

The words of Boris's lie don't matter. The decisions Boris took because he managed to fool himself are.
  • Options
    I thought that it was already published through Wings. I certainly read extended extracts of it yesterday with Campbell's comments.

I fear we are going to have a repeat of when all the interesting questions are ruled out of order. This 1 party state thing is really suboptimal.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Very harsh on Hancock I think who's been on a real roll for months now after a dodgy start. Who are these people who still like Williamson?
    Hancock should probably be higher, but a substantial portion of Tory members will be of the "End lockdown now" type and he won't be scoring very well with that sort at all.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. It isn't a real debt. It's just another tax deducted through PAYE.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I don't understand any of this. To me it just looks screamingly corrupt. Day after day this stuff gets murkier and murkier.

And yet they get away with it. Or am I, as a non Scottish stone sex-toy craftsman, missing some crucial aspect which makes it all OK?

• Options

maaarsh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

As we did with testing.

We are a way off from that. Get to about 1000 cases per day and then yes, the false positive rate will be relevant. I'd like to think the numbers being tested will fall, but I wonder if some of it is workplace related, rather than symptomatic only?
    Well, current positivity rate is already within the band of previous estimates for the false positive rate - clearly the current steep decline gives decent comfort that the real false positive number must be a bit lower, but we're on course for a positivity rate under 2% in the next 10 days or so, so it bears watching.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

In todays press conference by Nicola she was asked for details of the managed quarantine plan she announced yesterday.

She said they were still working on it and hope to provide more details next week

She went on to say we already have strict controls on flight arrivals which rather surprised me, and almost sounded like she was backtracking

But we do. It's forbidden to travel for unnecessary reasons. Like stepping out of the airport for no good reason.

Implementing quarantine would sort the liars, enablers, skiers and sun-tan merchants out pdq
  • Options
    What IS the false positive rate from the tests ?
    False negative rate must be higher due to swabs "missing" the virus.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

Boris Johnson lying?

Well I am

S
    T
    U
    N
    N
    E
    D

That sounds rather woke
    Well there is a pb first , I am being accused of being woke....my mind is boggled
    There are plenty less woke than you.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

On topic but FPT the DUP are thick as pig poo.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1357327618278834176

Or, it could be HYFDs invasion of Scotland will have to wait until Jeffrey Donaldson has annexed the South of Ireland.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. It isn't a real debt. It's just another tax deducted through PAYE.
    I'm still glad mine will be paid off in a few months. I wanted to do it 10 years ago but a lump sum I should have had was misappropriated.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

But we do. It's forbidden to travel for unnecessary reasons. Like stepping out of the airport for no good reason.

Implementing quarantine would sort the liars, enablers, skiers and sun-tan merchants out pdq
    To be fair we have a fairly strict UK wide policy and of course none of us can fly out of the UK without a valid reason which of course applies to your last sentence

It will be interesting if a UK wide scheme can be agreed and implemented
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    edited February 2021
    DavidL said:

Was watching Fireman Sam with my son yesterday and it occurred to me that Elvis Cridlington bears a passing resemblance to the Secretary of State for Education, in looks and ability. Of course he (Elvis) is much more likeable.

Even more off-topic, I think my son has the hots for Penny as he always demands to watch an episode "with Penny in". Fortunately, that seems to be all of them. I guess it's positive that he identifies the important role Penny plays, in addition to the eponymous Sam :wink:
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    edited February 2021
    Leon said:

If so, impressive!

If it is down largely to BAME refusals, then that might be the complete explanation for this difference. The BAME population of England is about 12%? In Scotland it is about 3-4%. Spookily similar to the stats here
    If that is the case strange that future PM Zawahi doesn't just offer this simple and straightforward explanation.
  • Options

Not by yours truly!
    I know, yours are post worth reading and betting on.
    Makes me more hopeful about the Senate, though not much.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2021
    Christ on a bike....no Trump....no viewers....

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1357345089257758720?s=20
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I thought that it was already published through Wings. I certainly read extended extracts of it yesterday with Campbell's comments.

I fear we are going to have a repeat of when all the interesting questions are ruled out of order. This 1 party state thing is really suboptimal.
    Amazing the folk that now hang on Stuanon's every word.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Yorkcity said:

I'm still glad mine will be paid off in a few months. I wanted to do it 10 years ago but a lump sum I should have had was misappropriated.
    I will however be trying to repay my postgraduate student loan ASAP because that is deducted in addition to my undergraduate repayments, so will potentially be a significant drain on my net income..

I wish it just added to the pile.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Tory members!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427

Leon said:

If so, impressive!

If that is the case amazing that future PM Zawahi doesn't just offer this simple and straightforward explanation.
    The reason that the government is being coy about the BAME take-up issue is quite simple - if they do that, it will morph into "BAME blame" before they finish speaking.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

Boris Johnson lying?

Well I am

S
    T
    U
    N
    N
    E
    D

That sounds rather woke
    There are plenty less woke than you.
    blinks I genuinely have no idea whether to take that as a compliment or an insult. I just tend to say what I think rather than try and be part of some club
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

Boris Johnson lying?

Well I am

S
    T
    U
    N
    N
    E
    D

They dont teach that, you need to demonstrate it to get on the course.

It may therefore be too late for your son. I'm sorry.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Would you class soreness where you have just been jabbed with a needle a side-effect of the vaccine? It seems more a side-effect of a sharp jabbie thing being plunged into your arm.

My wife and I experienced soreness in the arm for 24 hours, but also felt very tired the day after (more than usual)
    Yeah but surely Big G that's you having to both trek out of your extensive estates. A journey and a half :)
  • Options
    Leon said:

I don't understand any of this. To me it just looks screamingly corrupt. Day after day this stuff gets murkier and murkier.

And yet they get away with it. Or am I, as a non Scottish stone sex-toy craftsman, missing some crucial aspect which makes it all OK?

No you're not. It is more and more like something from the eastern bloc before the wall came down.

Complaints made under a procedure for Former Ministers which did not even exist when the complaint was made
    Politicians and party hacks asking the police what evidence they needed so it can be "provided"
    Pressure being applied to the police to charge
    Discussions between the Scottish government and Crown Office on the most efficacious way to get a conviction
    Meetings "forgotten" and off the record discussions
    The resistance of the judicial review in the hope that criminal proceedings would "supersede" it to the point that responsible counsel threatened to withdraw at a cost to the Scottish government of over £500k.

Don't get me wrong, I am still of the view that Salmond was seriously fortunate to get the result that he did but if we go on like this we will have Putin taking notes.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Fewer eligible people.

Thought so, ta.

When people talk about building capacity not sure everybody has factored in the 2nd jabs required likely to be taking up well over 1m slots per week soon.

My local hotel has opened for 1st jabs today but lots of people in Chessy are being offered slots at Sheffield Arena about 15 miles away.

There was an article on Look North at the start of the week about Sheffield Arena. Said people as far away as 70 miles would be offered jabs there as the programme really takes off.
    I hope the vaccine roll-out really isn't dependent on Look North's viewing stats.

Oh.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

Boris Johnson lying?

Well I am

S
    T
    U
    N
    N
    E
    D

They dont teach that, you need to demonstrate it to get on the course.

It may therefore be too late for your son. I'm sorry.
    To be fair the same is true with any interviewed-for undergraduate course.

I was interviewed before being accepted to study Mechanical Engineering at Newcastle Uni and I had to pretend that I had always had an interest in engineering rather than simply having watched F1 a lot and thought it was cool.
This discussion has been closed.