Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sturgeon blocks Trump’s reported plan to be in Scotland on Inauguration Day – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

Looks like ScotGov policy to omit “Oxford”:

https://twitter.com/iainmackay8/status/1346588707084709890?s=21

Presumably for the same reason that "BioNTech" is omitted from "BioNTech/Pfizer" in the UK.
    I worry about that fella's BMI.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    isam said:

If a school is demanding admin staff come into work rather than work from home at the mo, despite no pupils attending for the foreseeable future, is that unreasonable?

Difficult one - I thought pupils of key workers were still attending. Plus if they are able to their jobs at home that would be more prudent. However, if any staff need to be on the premises to do their job it is reasonable - including the teachers of course.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

felix said:

You know, it could also be that voters in Georgia have rather liked what they have seen and heard from Joe Biden since he won the Presidential election. The Democrats may now have a real opportunity as the GOP is likely to go to war with itself for the next few years.

A commentator on CNN - a democrat - said it would be still very difficult to get the more extreme agenda of the left-wing of the Democratic party through the Senate as they would need a 60/40 majority. I think thar is a useful tool for Biden to plot a centrist course.
    An agenda so extreme, that approaches the middle of the UK Conservative party. From the right.
    That is rubbish, AOC et al are left of Starmer, they would certainly never be in Boris Johnson's Conservative Party, they are closer to Corbyn than Boris
    You're talking rubbish. The agenda will be set by Senator Manchin not AOC.

Senator Manchin is closer to Boris.
    I have not seen any evidence to suggest Senator Manchin is a bumbling incompetent buffoon with no leadership skills.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited January 2021
    Adonis sees the centre left renewed as a result of the US election results

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1346706214139396099?s=20
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr HYUFD, they're pro-democracy.

Anti-Beijing = anti-Communist.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited January 2021

Here is the point. The government distilled the final Brexit negotiation down to a battle for freedom - specifically the freedom to fish our waters and get rid of foreigners polluting our natural bodily fluids oceans.

The problem is that the UK doesn't exist in bizarro world where we are rule makers and not rule takers. For that to be true we would be the ones imposing rules with everyone else meekly doing what we tell them to. Apparently the WTO was to be the mechanism where we would do so.

And yet here we are. We have imposed rules so daft that there has been a collapse in cross border trade, with a growing list of companies simply unwilling or unable to comply with the cost and complexity of what we have done. In fishing we managed to not understand the difference between the EU and EFTA, thinking that an EU fishing deal gives us rights to fish in EFTA waters.

Its the omnishambles Brexit.

And it is yesterday's news as the country fights covid over the next 6 months

Covid is and will remain the principle issue for the public, who have moved on as confirmed by the recent polling
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

You know, it could also be that voters in Georgia have rather liked what they have seen and heard from Joe Biden since he won the Presidential election. The Democrats may now have a real opportunity as the GOP is likely to go to war with itself for the next few years.

A commentator on CNN - a democrat - said it would be still very difficult to get the more extreme agenda of the left-wing of the Democratic party through the Senate as they would need a 60/40 majority. I think thar is a useful tool for Biden to plot a centrist course.
    An agenda so extreme, that approaches the middle of the UK Conservative party. From the right.
    That is rubbish, AOC et al are left of Starmer, they would certainly never be in Boris Johnson's Conservative Party, they are closer to Corbyn than Boris
    Can you point to an AOC policy position that is to the left of Starmer? I admit that Starmer's policy positions are thin on the ground at the moment but you are making the assertion so must have examples.
    AOC wants a 70% top rate of income tax, Starmer does not for one

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/08/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-70-percent-tax-rich
    The article you link to says "Ocasio-Cortez suggested offhandedly that income above $10m (my emphasis) may need to be taxed up to 70%" that's not the same as the "top rate" which is 45% on income above a mere £150,000 (or about $200,000) even under Johnson. It's an arresting suggestion but doesn't necessarily put her to the left of Starmer. I can't see him adopting it but I could see, for example, a mansion tax targetting similar wealth brackets.
  • Options

Here is the point. The government distilled the final Brexit negotiation down to a battle for freedom - specifically the freedom to fish our waters and get rid of foreigners polluting our natural bodily fluids oceans.

The problem is that the UK doesn't exist in bizarro world where we are rule makers and not rule takers. For that to be true we would be the ones imposing rules with everyone else meekly doing what we tell them to. Apparently the WTO was to be the mechanism where we would do so.

And yet here we are. We have imposed rules so daft that there has been a collapse in cross border trade, with a growing list of companies simply unwilling or unable to comply with the cost and complexity of what we have done. In fishing we managed to not understand the difference between the EU and EFTA, thinking that an EU fishing deal gives us rights to fish in EFTA waters.

Boris Johnson was in charge. Should one be surprised?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

F*ck me. Of all the things to get worked up over. This ranks even more pathetic than flags.
    I call it astra zeneca. Leaving it off means nothing indeed.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    edited January 2021
    Glad at the personal level that Rev Warnock won his election, and not just for numbers in the Senate.

The better guy won.
  • Options

No you're talking out of your derriere.

The EFTA waters are a separate negotiation either way. Those negotiations were held up by the EU ones. They're now going ahead.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Presumably for the same reason that "BioNTech" is omitted from "BioNTech/Pfizer" in the UK.
    I mean, I don't know if it is because of anti-Oxfordness or anti-Englishness, but I think Pfizer is just easier to say (as COVID is easier to say than Coronavirus - remember that argument last year?). Oxford is easier to say than AZ, but then AZ is quite well known too.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Can you point to an AOC policy position that is to the left of Starmer? I admit that Starmer's policy positions are thin on the ground at the moment but you are making the assertion so must have examples.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/08/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-70-percent-tax-rich
    The article you link to says "Ocasio-Cortez suggested offhandedly that income above $10m (my emphasis) may need to be taxed up to 70%" that's not the same as the "top rate" which is 45% on income above a mere £150,000 (or about $200,000) even under Johnson. It's an arresting suggestion but doesn't necessarily put her to the left of Starmer. I can't see him adopting it but I could see, for example, a mansion tax targetting similar wealth brackets.
    If Labour adopted the Democrats tax plans, they'd win.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The latest polling suggests the GOP will hold the Georgia Senate seats in the run off and I agree.

Biden was not elected on the back of a Democratic landslide to sweep the US to the left, he was elected purely to beat Trump and Georgia swing voters having voted Biden to beat the incumbent President will now vote GOP to ensure the woke, far left does not get too much power and the Senate stays GOP.

Hence Biden will be the first incoming President not to take office with his party in control of both chambers of Congress since Bush Snr in 1989. That would be about right, US voters want him to compromise with the GOP and to reduce the polarisation

Lol

Given that HYUFD is repeatedly revisionist about his predictions this is a useful reminder of how wrong he has been on almost everything to do with United States politics this past year.
    I wasn't that wrong, I said it would be a narrow Biden win or a narrow Trump win in the end it was the former but with Trump still holding Ohio and Florida.

In the Senate races in Georgia it still remains too close to call in the Perdue and Ossoff race even if Warnock won
    "Too close to call"

Currently it is Ossoff 50.1% and Perdue 49.9% with 98% in

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/results/state/georgia/senate-runoff?iid=politics_election_ticker
    And the remaining votes are from overwhelmingly D areas. Give it up.
    Most rural Perdue counties are not yet 100% in either
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Ossoff now +16K
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    HYUFD said:

He is talking arse. You can't do fucking shit in British politics unless you're stood in front of at least four flegs and talking interventionist economics and reactionary social conservatism,
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    edited January 2021
    This is interesting. The UK and the EU are in competition for a chunk of Norwegian and Faroese fish, where the EU is more important to those countries than the UK is.

https://twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1346744311224950786
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Under the US system of tax breaks a 70% tax would be actually about 20%....

The left in the US likes to talk about the very high historical rates - but no one actually paid them. And it created the whole tax industry there.

What the US really needs is to get rid of the tax breaks and reset to simple income tax system.

Ironically, before the Republicans went insane, that was their policy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Hollande of course won in 2012 in France proposing a 75% supertax on the very rich, fat lot of good it did him
  • Options

The EFTA waters are a separate negotiation either way. Those negotiations were held up by the EU ones. They're now going ahead.
    Ah, so as I'm talking out of my derriere our brave boys are currently fishing Icelandic and Norwegian waters as we speak.

Thanks for the correction.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

felix said:

I have not seen any evidence to suggest Senator Manchin is a bumbling incompetent buffoon with no leadership skills.
    That's good because Boris is a world leading Prime Minister with fantastic leadership skills.

Theresa May's leadership skills were such that she couldn't get her own party to back her deal.

Boris Johnson's leadership skills are such that he can get the Labour Party to back his!
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2021
    HYUFD said:

Adonis is excellent on Europe, but he still doesn't understand some key things. Blairism is not the postwar centre left, and neither Britain or the US is crying out in desperation for a return to Blairism or Clintonism. If that is the lesson that is drawn, it will simply let the right-populists back in in perpetuity in both countries.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

The latest polling suggests the GOP will hold the Georgia Senate seats in the run off and I agree.

Biden was not elected on the back of a Democratic landslide to sweep the US to the left, he was elected purely to beat Trump and Georgia swing voters having voted Biden to beat the incumbent President will now vote GOP to ensure the woke, far left does not get too much power and the Senate stays GOP.

Hence Biden will be the first incoming President not to take office with his party in control of both chambers of Congress since Bush Snr in 1989. That would be about right, US voters want him to compromise with the GOP and to reduce the polarisation

Lol

Given that HYUFD is repeatedly revisionist about his predictions this is a useful reminder of how wrong he has been on almost everything to do with United States politics this past year.
    Yes. I really don't get why his seen as some sort of seer on here. His method is simply to predict a slightly more right-wing outcome than the polls suggest. Worked in 2016 when there were polling errors in favour of right-wing candidate but certainly not this year.
    Like all pundit predictors the trick is to memory hole his wrong predictions. That way he is always accurate.
    That trick is more contagious than Covid on here
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    There's no magic bullet for the virus - everything, and I do mean everything is a numbers/probability game.
    Masks, reduce the risk of catching and spreading
    Vaccines - same as
    Closure of schools, same
    Testing of travellers......

You add them all together and the transmission rate either goes above or below 1...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Hollande of course won in 2012 in France proposing a 75% supertax on the very rich, fat lot of good it did him
    Well he still won. And that's all that matters right?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Does Donald Trump have ANY positive legacy to look back on after four years, other than preventing Hillary Clinton becoming President?

The lack of foreign wars is probably the main one. Mostly due to outsourcing foreign policy to Putin, but probably counts as a success.
    Putin has had a very happy 4 or 5 years from a foreign policy perspective. He had Trump in the Whitehouse, a divisive referendum in UK leading to self harm to the UK and damage to the EU and Boris Johnson in No10. What next? The useful idiots of the SNP combined with the incompetence of Boris Johnson might deliver him the break up of the UK. He must be very pleased.
    Even if Boris does not go as far as Beijing is today in mass arrests of anti Beijing activists and politicians he will not allow the UK to breakup whatever happens at Holyrood later this year
    It is touching, old chap, that you still have such faith in the idiot you continue to affectionately refer to as "Boris". We have rarely had a PM who, in spite of his majority, is so emotionally weak and prone to caving in. If we had a much more politically savvy a PM I would think that calling the nats bluff and outmanoeuvring them might happen, but with Bozo in charge we can only expect unintended calamities.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Ossoff now +0.4 and will pass the 0.5% recount threshold.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379

HYUFD said:

Lol

Harsh, but fair.
    Congrats on your bet, which I followed in a small way.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

felix said:

That's good because Boris is a world leading Prime Minister with fantastic leadership skills.

Theresa May's leadership skills were such that she couldn't get her own party to back her deal.

Boris Johnson's leadership skills are such that he can get the Labour Party to back his!
    Worryingly though for Boris by the end of this month he will be one of only 3 centre right leaders left in the G7 along with Merkel and Suga and Germany faces elections in September with Merkel not running again.

Otherwise France with Macron, Canada with Trudeau, Italy with Conte and now the US with Biden are all led by leaders of the liberal or centre left, he better hope it is not a trend
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848

HYUFD said:

felix said:

LOL, I like that way of putting it!
  • Options

Covid is and will remain the principle issue for the public, who have moved on as confirmed by the recent polling
    The negotiation is yesterdays news. The effects haven't really kicked in yet so will news for a future day. The idea that this is dead and gone is laughable. Wait until it becomes clear that we can buy less stuff at higher prices. Then once vaccinations go as quickly as Shagger promises we can all go on holiday, with all the fun that will unleash. The Mail will be spattered with stories about Brits stuck in massive passport queues, customs hell, expensive medical bills etc etc. Then we start importing Bulgarians by the coachload to "take our jobs" picking fruit.

Fun fun fun. We're already hearing the outraged howls of fishing and importers "screwed" by this. You honestly think the Brexiteer on the street is both going to take his quietly and keep supporting the Tories when its his turn to realise how hard he's screwed?
  • Options
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Well he still won. And that's all that matters right?
    He did but he then fell to the lowest approval rating of any French President in history and did not run for re election
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

He is talking arse. You can't do fucking shit in British politics unless you're stood in front of at least four flegs and talking interventionist economics and reactionary social conservatism,
    When you're right you're right. I for one expect flag pins to become a thing.
  • Options
    Once our vaccination program is sufficiently underway we should demand vaccination proof from elsewhere to enter the country.
  • Options
    isam said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Lol

Yes. I really don't get why his seen as some sort of seer on here. His method is simply to predict a slightly more right-wing outcome than the polls suggest. Worked in 2016 when there were polling errors in favour of right-wing candidate but certainly not this year.
    Like all pundit predictors the trick is to memory hole his wrong predictions. That way he is always accurate.
    I dont recall that.
  • Options

Ah, so as I'm talking out of my derriere our brave boys are currently fishing Icelandic and Norwegian waters as we speak.

No you were talking out of your derriere when you wrote that anyone was "thinking that an EU fishing deal gives us rights to fish in EFTA waters."

Nobody involved in the negotiations thought that!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

When you're right you're right. I for one expect flag pins to become a thing.
    Replacing poppies or incorporating them?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

felix said:

You know about as much about leadership as I do about particle physics, in fact probably less. Your loyalty to Johnson is laughably pathetic. I have to wonder whether you are the son of Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf
  • Options

The negotiation is yesterdays news. The effects haven't really kicked in yet so will news for a future day. The idea that this is dead and gone is laughable. Wait until it becomes clear that we can buy less stuff at higher prices. Then once vaccinations go as quickly as Shagger promises we can all go on holiday, with all the fun that will unleash. The Mail will be spattered with stories about Brits stuck in massive passport queues, customs hell, expensive medical bills etc etc. Then we start importing Bulgarians by the coachload to "take our jobs" picking fruit.

Fun fun fun. We're already hearing the outraged howls of fishing and importers "screwed" by this. You honestly think the Brexiteer on the street is both going to take his quietly and keep supporting the Tories when its his turn to realise how hard he's screwed?
    You are bitter over brexit but in the public's eyes a deal has been agreed and their only concern is surviving the covid crisis

I do not see this changing for months and brexit issues will come and go and of course Starmer, more than anyone, will not make an issue about brexit, he wants the subject closed
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    isam said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Lol

Are you saying we need to put HYUFD into Tier 4?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    new thread
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Boris is an Oxford arts graduate. Numbers are not his strong suit.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Sadly I doubt that will happen. If there's one lesson from the past four years, it's that when people are presented with irrefutable proof that they are wrong, they tend to dig in with their original views
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Adonis is excellent on Europe, but he still doesn't understand some key things. Blairism is not the postwar centre left, and neither Britain or the US is crying out in desperation for a return to Blairism or Clintonism. If that is the lesson that is drawn, it will simply let the right-populists back in in perpetuity in both countries.
    Maybe not yearning for it, but even I, who hated Blair at the time, think that when compared to Boris Johnson (aka Philip Thompson), Blair was a leadership colossus
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Boris is an Oxford arts graduate. Numbers are not his strong suit.
    His only strong suit is bullshitting the gullible
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

Maybe not yearning for it, but even I, who hated Blair at the time, think that when compared to Boris Johnson (aka Philip Thompson), Blair was a leadership colossus
    That's fine ; I agree too. But Blair and Clinton weren't mainstream social democrats by European standards, and not by postwar British standards either. If Labour wants to get back in it has to see what went wrong between 2006 and 2012, not just 2017 and 2019.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

It doesn't even put her to the left of many post war US presidents. A quick google shows that the marginal highest tax rates in the US were:

1944 - 1951 : 91% (Truman)
    1952 - 1953 : 92% (Truman)
    1954 - 1963 : 91% (Eisenhower/Kennedy)
    1964 : 77% (Johnson)

The highest rates of US tax didn't come down below 70% until 1981.

I mean I am not actually advocating these levels of tax but the idea they are either unusual or only enacted by raving left wingers is clearly fanciful.

• Options

You are bitter over brexit but in the public's eyes a deal has been agreed and their only concern is surviving the covid crisis

I do not see this changing for months and brexit issues will come and go and of course Starmer, more than anyone, will not make an issue about brexit, he wants the subject closed
    Sorry to disappoint you, but the Brexit deal will be presented as an example of incompetence by Johnson, which of course it is.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    Also more employment in the UK goes poot.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

felix said:

You're talking about a handful of representatives.
    We were discussing Biden's agenda.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

It doesn't even put her to the left of many post war US presidents. A quick google shows that the marginal highest tax rates in the US were:

1944 - 1951 : 91% (Truman)
    1952 - 1953 : 92% (Truman)
    1954 - 1963 : 91% (Eisenhower/Kennedy)
    1964 : 77% (Johnson)

The highest rates of US tax didn't come down below 70% until 1981.

I mean I am not actually advocating these levels of tax but the idea they are either unusual or only enacted by raving left wingers is clearly fanciful.

They came in under FDR and were largely kept because of the WW2 debts until the tax slashing agenda of Reagan, same with Thatcher here.

However notable Eisenhower and JFK in particular still cut the top income tax rate
  • Options

No you were talking out of your derriere when you wrote that anyone was "thinking that an EU fishing deal gives us rights to fish in EFTA waters."

Nobody involved in the negotiations thought that!
    The fishing industry did. Having been spun that they have amazing new rights to fish the North Sea by endless government guff.

The *negotiators* may have known. I don't think the government knew. Boris has a woeful track record of understanding details. As witnessed by the debacle over the Irish Sea border.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Does Donald Trump have ANY positive legacy to look back on after four years, other than preventing Hillary Clinton becoming President?

Space Force was a worthy notion that's properly funded with clearly serious intent. I'm not sure how much of that was him though. It seems to have been more of an Electric Pence project.
    He's probably trashed the Republican brand for the rest of the decade. That might count as a positive.

Frum has a slightly more generous look at the question.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/12/the-things-trump-got-right/617424/
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Good politicking from Nicola. I believe her fans on here were insisting that international travel was a reserved matter and there was nothing she could do to prevent it the other day...

@Luckyguy1983 For mad unionists, she cannot stop him flying in as it is up to Home Office. She can state that he must meet covid rules in place after he leaves the airport, but if he meets the covid rules she can do nothing.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Quincel said:
    This cant be true. @HYUFD assured us they would go ahead as planned and that it would be a "national humiliation" to move them.
    It still would be, utterly pathetic if we postpone a few local and devolved elections when the US managed to hold a presidential election with 150 million voters last November despite Covid and is holding 2 Senatorial elections in Georgia today.

Though at least the article suggests the government only wants to move them to the summer, not cancel them this year altogether
    I completely agree with you on this one.
    So do I. There are some logistical issues, but authorities have been planning for them for many months already, I really do not believe we would be unable to hold them in May. And if its decided not to to ease burdens and reduce risks, I really don't see why would need to be more than a few months rather than pushed to the Autumn.
    Logistically I think one of the biggest problems is nominations. To complete nomination forms the parties will have to send people door to door to collect signatures or arrange signing sessions. Both would be unlawful under the present lockdown measures.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929

So this I reckon means the GOP voters stayed at home as they thought there's no point voting?

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1346596546687750146

Spot the Trump supporter in this photo.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Lol

Harsh, but fair.
    Congrats on your bet, which I followed in a small way.
    Thank you, that's kind and I'm glad you won too.
This discussion has been closed.